We're mad as heck and we're not going to take it anymore!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (201 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Ok... enough is enough. We hate the arbitrary hubber score. It is a phantom's judgement of us and the Q and A section does not give a clear cut way to effectively appease the phantom.
    Until you can give us an exact science (i.e. the way capitals and punctuation are used), it is not fair to stamp a number on our foreheads that describe to visitors how we/our work are to be viewed. It is a first impression... it affects how others perceive our hubs which is totally counter productive to our efforts. In other words, you're setting us up to fail before anyone's read a word we've written.

This is a petition.
    Get rid of the hubber score or update its usage to make it clear and above all FAIR.

Sed-me

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this
      1. ComfortB profile image85
        ComfortBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Though they have no hubs, some of them are active participants in forums and in giving comments. It's the same reason why those who have hubs but are not very active on HP get low scores. I think.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some of the people with the highest scores haven't published new content in years, or commented on other Hubs or posted in the forums.  The high scores are mostly reflective of the QAP scores on their Hubs.

But I agree with Sed-me that the Hubber Score should be banned from public view.

True.

Writer Fox,
            What exactly is QAP scores, if I may ask?

You can find out more about how the QAP process works here:
              http://hubpages.com/faq/#quality-assessment

This is the ratings chart for creative writing like poems and short stories:
              http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#creative

This is the ratings chart for articles:
              http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Here are examples of Hubs and what ratings they received:
              http://hubpages.com/faq/#mturk-hit-examples

Thanks, that was very helpful.

You're welcome. It would be nice, especially with all the newbies coming here, for HP to update the Learning Center and improve its usability.

2. profile image0

lol, toast, tug, icecream, juice and peter are not active accounts.  but they must be doing something better than cheese, who only has a score in the 60s. http://cheese.hubpages.com/

1. RockyMountainMom profile image67
            RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thought you said 'active nouns' and was baffled but amused.  And now that I see that you said 'accounts' I still can't think of many nouns better than cheese.  Maybe bacon.  Both equally active, as far as nouns go.

1. profile image0

You must be onto something, because bacon has a higher hubberscore than God

http://bacon.hubpages.com/
              http://god.hubpages.com/

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can't put anything above God. Not even bacon.

2. RockyMountainMom profile image67

Hilarious!  And a higher Hubberscore than sex.

http://casual-sex.hubpages.com/

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/motivation

Bacon doesn't cheat on you.

2. profile image0

It's amazing what you can learn about life from HP's ghost user acounts. for example, v1brator has a higher hubberscore than pen1s

http://vibrator.hubpages.com
                  http://penis.hubpages.com

These are the kind of jokes I have to avoid in public places. If we were alone though... we'd be giggling right now. lol

2. bethperry profile image83
                    bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I clicked on the links to their pages and see that Pen1s has been banned! What a hard, penetrating plunge that must be for him.

3. Daisydot profile image58
          Daisydotposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does the new hubscore formula require you to be in the forums a lot then? What if you don't have time?

I don't think they offer a "lack of time" clause. Maybe just a few drive-bys a week will cover it.

2. bethperry profile image83

Sounds good to me. I never cared what mine was to begin with, and they seem to perturb a whole lot of nice folks here. So be done with them!

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you are really mad as heck I know an albino cobra that needs a good yelling at. Maybe it will help to release your anger.

1. bethperry profile image83

Why would I need an albino cobra? I've already got a red trouser snake waiting for me in bed.

Wow.

2. Sed-me profile image78

haha. Snakes in a cubicle? Can I get banned for that joke?

4. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree! Get rid of the darn thing that has been busted for years and only torments good writers. It is nonsense.

Thank you Mr. Awesome. Now let's get serious.
        How 'bout some more signatures! smile

1. janderson99 profile image54

I'm touring Europe at the moment. In Italy I tried to complain that the beer I was served was flat. I could not get the message across. So I used my translation app and rudely showed the result to the waiter.
          The translation for Beer Flat was Biere Appartmento. We both laughed!
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9607220_f248.jpg

I think in America, we call that a Fraternity.

5. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1.  Just speaking up to show support.  If nobody even understands what the hubber score represents, why mess up perfectly good avatars?

6. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm all for doing away with it, or at least hiding it from public view.

7. Craan profile image77
      Craanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the Huber score should be internal and not visible on our profiles. The Huber score has forever challenged me to write better hubs and I love to see it on my account page. Yet, just like HubPages recently removed the visible Hub Score of on its pages, it should act similarly for the total Hub Score that is aired on our profile page.

8. Cheuax profile image60
      Cheuaxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In my short time here I have noticed that the score keep changing in relation to the activities your page receive. I agree though, public posting of one's score could work against an article.

It's true. Your hub, from first look, appears to be good, but your score causes one to think, "I'll read a different hub on this topic. With a score like that, it can't be very good." It's not right.

1. Solaras profile image95
          Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One thing that usually improves my hub score by a point or two within a day or so is Hopping Hubs.  I am not sure how they correlate, but hopping 3 usually does the trick.

Ive never done that. I don't think I knew what I was doing and I didn't want to make a mistake that adversely affected someone.

I wondered about that, too.

Also, although I would like to get my Hubber Score back to an even number (I really liked 94), I like that my followers and Hubber Score are currently the same.  So I guess I don't want it to go up just yet.

2. Solaras profile image95

You won't - but you do get to report the spun articles and some are so heinously incoherent they deserve to be knocked as well.

3. Solaras profile image95

Seriously, go do it now; it's fun.  Hop 3 hubs.  The spun articles can be very funny; sometimes I laugh until I cry. If you get to a topic you don't know anything about, for me that would be gaming, just exit out and go back in again.  It will give you a new hub to hop.

So what do you do, thumbs down an article that is grammatically incorrect etc?
                It seems so judgmental, like I'm going behind their back. I feel like I'd need to sit down with them and explain my actions before I could do something like that. lol

Haha, that's me, too.  A bit of why I posted my comment in the feedback survey here.  I felt like I'd be two-faced to say something different elsewhere than I was implying here.

No, LOL  You score it on three criteria from 1-10 Substance, Organization and Grammar/Mechanics. There is a scale as you pass over each possible score that explains in detail what each number means. Creative writing has a different set of scales.

This does not have to be judgmental, it can also be an opportunity to raise a score on a hub that has been harshly judged by the MTurker.  I read many excellent hubs there as well, and score them accordingly. It forces me to look at hubs outside on my natural field of interest.

You do not know who the author is - the hub is anonymous.

Oh, I like that idea. I wonder how many times your hub has to be judged positively for the score to go up.

2. Glen Kowalski profile image93
                Glen Kowalskiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One thing I'd like would be the ability to offer suggestions to the author (anonymously of course).  For instance I 'hopped' 6 hubs today- 2 were just very poorly written and flagged, 1 was excellent, and the others were good but contained syntax/grammar errors that would be easily fixed.  The most common issue was comma splices. 

I know I could look up the hub and then contact the writer directly but I'd prefer to remain anonymous.   Hubpages could keep track of your comments so if someone is being abusive they can be blocked from further comments without the author ever knowing who it was.

1. relache profile image72
                  relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One thing I really like best about HubPages is that you have to stand behind what you say.  There is no way of anonymously commenting if you really want to communicate with another site member.  People have to own up to their actual words and statements.

It's awesome.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

Here Here!  I agree wholeheartedly!

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath for HubPages to take action on this complaint.

Recently, there were protests about Scores on another thread.  I suggested to the complainants that they should go and revive this thread, so HubPages couldn't pretend their complaints were an isolated case:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107466

At that time, the thread was still open for comment.  Mysteriously, after I suggested they add to it, the thread was closed. 

I can think of no other reason than that HubPages wanted to bury it - they don't want people to know just how many Hubbers are unhappy with scores.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So let's us band together so they can't make it go away and if this thread is removed, we will just start another............................

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9599343_f248.jpg

Sound the horn. We want modifications or... we're gonna... complain a lot... n' stuff.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9600070_f248.jpg

5. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

So everyone, but the vegetarians agree at this point.
    That's a big ole "yes" to Bacon... the meat.
    And a big ole "no" to hubber scores!

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since kale is only one measly point behind bacon, this vegetarian can get behind that statement.

http://kale.hubpages.com/

I have no idea what a hubber score is for. It seems to change randomly.

Are you vegan?  Because cheese and kale are tied.

http://cheese.hubpages.com/

Did we already know the score of cheese?  I'm losing track.

A bacon, kale, and cheese burger sounds pretty good.  Except I can't have the cheese.  Or the bun.  For medical reasons.  Which is why I would never give up bacon.  For any reasons.

*Edit/disclaimer: that was not the judgement on vegetarianism or veganism that it may have sounded like.  Rather an innocent and genuine love for bacon and longing for cheese.

No worries. I'm not one of those Angry Vegansâ„¢. Eat the bacon, and the cheese, if that makes you happy. Have mine, too, while you're at it.

Why don't we compromise. I had something a few months ago that was incredible. Bacon wrapped figs. Oh my word. It might have you rethinking the meat thing. wink

No rethinking. You can have my allotment of bacon. Win/win.

It's like an internet Shoney's!

2. DrMark1961 profile image96

I am with you on that one. I almost lost my cookies when I read about bacon covered figs. (And they are really good cookies.)

I think we have finally come full circle back to Bubblews again and stolen half baked cookies.

Oh ye of little faith.

3. RockyMountainMom profile image67

I should have binged on bacon these last few days instead of cookies (though they were pretty darned good).  I think it would have been better for my cold.  And bacon never makes me grumpy.  My husband made me some bacon flavored whiskey.  Maybe I should switch to that for a day or two.

Oh dear... your too far off the mark now... no offense Dr. Mark.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96

Bacon flavored whiskey? What sacrilege (sorry Beth, didnt mean to get into one of the religious forums).

6. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Sign the petition! No more hubber score!
    Fight the power!

(Put your fist in the air when you're typing as a show of solidarity, please.)

We tried that.

Here's the petition:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/119588

I can't type one handed, but it is funny to picture everyone trying to.

I think some ppl do it more than others.

7. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9659966_f248.jpg

8. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Oh my gosh. What a chatty group we are. No matter how many threads we start on this subject, no one just signs their names. Probably 'cause none of us are using actual names. <sigh>

Like herding chickens in Montana (or guinea hens in Brazil).

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image76

OK...Here is my Name Luis E Gonzalez (that'st my real name, just in case anyone is wondering)........lol

Oh shoot... I don't want to put my last name. lol

Ill just do my other real name.

Beth37 smile

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9702761_f248.jpg

Sir, you have an enormous---er, male chicken. In your post.

You  know, when I said we were like herding chickens, I wasn't even thinking of the obvious interpretation of that.

My chickens have been escaping, so I was thinking they were hard to herd.  But if they think I have food, they are not hard to round up at all.  So this makes much more sense.  They love bacon scraps.  And chicken scraps.  They will follow me anywhere for food.

This chicken should look a bit more carnivorous.

3. lisavollrath profile image93

I'm using my actual name. Names. Mushed together. I really am Lisa Vollrath, here, and everywhere.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9716523_f248.jpg

4. Cheuax profile image60

I think the World is judgmental. My real name could make or break my interactions.

George Clooney?

1. Cheuax profile image60

That is what am talking? What was you know who name again? See am getting judgmental too!

9. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

It's time to take them down.
    They're disheartening and worthless all in the same breath.
    One person actually started a thread saying that it made him want to take his own life, it made him feel so low.
    Are we writers or human experiments?
    It's like asking someone to come to your home and cook for your dinner party, then mocking their effort.
    (I can come up with a million of those... I'm an amazing writer... not that you'd know by my score. lol)

10. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Agreed with hubscores. I usually have high ones, but there's nothing more disappointing than having a high one go wonky from time to time....you get lulled into a false sense of security, then WHAM it puts you in your real place. I think they should go as they psychologically upset Hubbers.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91

I've completely given up caring about hub score. My shortest and most banal hub now has a score of 98 since the recent adjustments. Hubs that I've put a lot of effort into and that do very well traffic-wise (popularity) now languish in the 60s and 70s.

Indeed - and any edits continue to devastate hub scores.  My account page is churning with scores rising and then being punched back down again by a simple product change on an Amazon ad or typo correction.

I have to ignore the scores, or I would never make another correction again.

She says from her mansion in the sky.
          My hubs are all published, I obviously chat it up here.
          I even answer questions and leave comments on other hubber's hubs.
          For this, I have a 77.

When I had 80 plus published hubs, I had a score in the 80s.
          I think the feeling is just that it is NOT black and white.

1. bBerean profile image59

I just saw a post in another forum by what is either a bot, or someone for whom English is a barely known language.  Their score is 60.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

Ah, but the score IS in black and white.  Rather like a mug shot.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9803163.jpg
            (Frank Sinatra)

Doesn't do ol' Blue Eyes justice some how, (or was this Blue Eyes getting justice)?

That's Blue Eyes getting a really high score because, it was said, he had friends in the Mafia.

LOL - Honestly Beth - I don't understand why you get shafted in the Hubber Score department.  When you left before, I considered starting a petition to give you a permanent 100 Hubber Score to lure you back again.

You're good ppl Solaras!

11. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 9 years ago

Aardvark scores a handsome 70 while snow leopard gets only 67.  Kitten manages 68 but then so does skunk, while 'dog bad breath' ties with snow leopard.

All of these 'hubbers' (like the others already mentioned)have never put pen to paper.

It makes no sense.  I'm convinced.  lets get rid of Hub Scores! 

While we are at it, these penless slackers actually get accolades for being here for so many years.  What utter nonsense!

Incidentally, magnificent Bubbl*ws (a site for sore eyes?) does not have any scores at all which proves the point.  (Bubblews also has an innovative lottery-style payment system but lets not go there!)

I thought you were going to tell a story... I was totally into it. How does it end for the kitty and the snow leopard?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9796953_f248.jpg

Is there nothing you can't find on the internet?

Now do an elephant and a camel.

http://4kingfunny.com/wp-content/upload … ephant.jpg

( In memory of Joan Rivers.  She always liked that one.)

Be careful what you ask for, eh? You win.

What's the prize?

12 pts.

I wish! cool

2. Cheuax profile image60

I know about that one and am surprised by the low quality it spews. I am not a master, but the post there are...you guess.

12. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

Where do I sign?
    Does anyone know how to photoshop a score of 100 onto my Profile Score?
    There has got tot be someone out there who can tell me how to do it.

Calculus-geometry figured out one way to do it:
      http://calculus-geometry.hubpages.com/

Kudos to her...I love it!

Me too!

2. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice one - I wonder if he would write a 'How To' change your profile score with Photoshop for us.  Trust a mathematician to find a way around the problem.

2. bBerean profile image59

That's funny.  Perhaps just a well placed "1" with a white background with the correct opacity.  You could have a score of 191!

1. sallybea profile image96

I am going to fall into decline if anyone mentions my score - even with another hundred in front of it.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image76

How about if we just paint our own hubber scores.Heck if we are being "branded" why not just add our own.....lol

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10142631_f1024.jpg

I vote for water soluble paint...just in case.

1. snakeslane profile image80
          snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good one Luis!

I remember a hubber a few years ago who managed to photoshop his avatar in such away that a '1' appeared before his hubber score. If you did that, you'd currently have a score of 184.

1. snakeslane profile image80
              snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Who me? Not sure I deserve the score I've got, just enjoying the funny Luis avatar wink

I just noticed that bBerean had the same idea.

That's a very handsome pic. Luis.

Ahh...... Thank you

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10371617.png

3. sallybea profile image96

That is funny - are you sure white is your color!

3. Sed-me profile image78

Just hold up 9 fingers in your pic.

How long does it take for an avatar to update in the forums?

I don't know, but I see it on your profile page.  Nice work.

Lol, ty.  I don't have Photoshop, but Microsoft Publisher 2013 worked fine.

Hehe

3. Sed-me profile image78

Pretty much right away.

4. bBerean profile image59

Perhaps they're on to me.  I modified my profile 30 min ago, and while it does show up if you go to my profile page, the avatar showing in the forums has not updated.

Oh... hahaha... 173, your mother always said you were an over-achiever.

I thought 973 would be a bit much.

You gotta have at least one hub for that score.

13. RockyMountainMom profile image67
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

I stayed purposefully vague until now (and brief--you're welcome) to spare you all.  But in the interest of not being a chicken, and as atonement to Sed-me for repeatedly helping to make her thread go awry, I am posting my full and complete opinion rather than a signature.

There was a satisfaction survey on my statistics page just now, with a box for comments.This is what poured forth in the tiny box (with a tiny bit of formatting and typo editing).  If you are not in the mood for wandering or overly-personal thoroughness, skip the rest of this post.

Am I missing something?

We joked earlier about being chicken....and I hadn't "signed" yet.  Since that survey box came up when I was about to, I posted my response here, since it was addressing this issue.

If you mean the early-on statement about brevity, that was me acknowledging that I was about to take up a lot of space.

2. bBerean profile image59

Solaras, if you are in "threaded" view, instead of "chronological" view, you are missing quite a bit and that post would make no sense.  If so, you can change it in the upper right corner of the page.

Im starting another petition tomorrow that the "threaded" option be removed.
          It's like a book being printed with the chapters all mixed up and you only know by word of mouth that you can buy a version where all the chapters are in order.

Hi bBerean thanks for the tip - that sure changed things a lot! It also made this thread 5 pages instead of one.

We love "chronological" view.  wink

14. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I just came from a thread of former Squids who are all stoked to have any sort of feedback and who are excited to be able to achieve equal levels in rank after being on a system that gave rally generalized abstracted feedback and which ranked every page regardless of topic on one huge numerical list.

tl;dr they love HubScores

Give em time.

big_smile

15. Arachnea profile image65
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Oh, that picture is so creepy. Oh, my.

16. Arachnea profile image65
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

I'm gonna have nightmares. wink

17. RockyMountainMom profile image67

I've had a pretty good attitude, but today's drop in just about all of my scores is not acceptable.  My energies are officially moving elsewhere for now.  If a given hub pertains directly to Lyme efforts, it may show up here in the short term.   But likely not. 

I no longer have a single hub in the 90's.  Not one.  I don't think any of my previously awarded hubs (EC, HotD, RS) are any higher than the 70's.  Maybe they need to frustrate enough people to get down to manageable writer numbers. 

So that's it.  Proof for me that I do care about the numbers.  Because they're there....for that reason....and when they fall, it bothers me.  And because I don't have the "as long as we're making money" net to comfort me.

I do like the community here.  You guys are hilarious.  There aren't many places to go for smart funny.  And I'm a sucker for a pun. 

But I guess this is a good kick in the butt to get back to higher priorities.

So consider me a signatory.

Yea! But no puns. Puns are... they're evil.

Did you edit any of your hubs yesterday?

1. janderson99 profile image54

Yes - Why?

Any time I edit a hub, the score drops, sometimes 10 points. So if RMM did some editing, that could account for the drop in her scores across the board.

This has been the case in other instances ( especially prior to August).  And it helped me get things back up above 70 after things dropped in august (from 90s in several cases).  But not all hubs recovered from editing, or they recovered very slowly or inconsistently, so that the changes in August have been mostly in pretty direct opposition to learning pages/ best practices, etc.

Nope.  The only thing I did was link to two Lyme related hubs in a Lyme related blog.  And I got a legislation post seen by almost 3,000 people on my Lyme Facebook page (a small page where 1 Lyme hub is also linked to, so that link may have been more visible to visitors  yesterday).  I mention this because I have consistently seen falls in scores just about any time I promote hubs in any way.

I mention this because prior to the recent changes, drops in score usually had to do with the typical patterns ( new hub = lower Hubber score; improved hub= lower hub score and Hubber score) usually with recovery.  Since the drops/changes in August, my drops have been steady and random, except for the promotion pattern. 

I know it doesn't make sense, but I feel like the coincidence ship has sailed.

How was traffic on those two that you linked to the blog?

Hub on Lyme disease: increased traffic prior to yesterday from Facebook link. Not much change yesterday from blog link. Score dropped a little.
            Food intolerances hub: no change in traffic.  Drop from 93 to 87 or 89 in score.  It was the only one that stayed in the 90s through all these weeks of drops.  That was the first time I linked to it, other than maybe g+ or twitter when first published.

Most others just sunk lower overnight along with them.  Lots dropped below 80 or further below 80.  They had been staying the same.

18. RockyMountainMom profile image67

Recent examples that led me to fret in other forums about correlations:

Mentioned and linked to a hub in a forum: Huber score suddenly dropped, hub score dropped.

Indirectly mentioned another hub in same forum: hub went from top slot on first page of "all hubs" to completely out of sight.  Went from top slot on health category to out of sight.  Went from top slot on diseases to bottom of page.  I know those jump around and don't stay up top forever, but that was so shortly after that's it's hard to ignore.

Tweeted a hub with a stable score.  Score dropped.

Just keeps happening over and over.  Still sounds coincidental as I type this, but the timing of these things and how many times it's happened now are just too frustrating.

*Its frustrating whether related or unrelated.  Because if there's no pattern, there's no purpose for numbers.  And if there's a pattern, it's not what they've repeatedly indicated it to be.  Leaving these stupid correlations or similar ones as the only visible possibilities for the user, leading to ridiculous guess work and eventually employing undesirable solutions for both the site and the user.
    *Scores are changing still as fast as I post these comments ( not saying related, just stating they are still in flux.  Both Lyme hubs continue to fall).

One thing I notice is that 12 hubs have been published in the last 7 weeks on Lyme Disease.  I don't know if that is hurting your subject matter.  Maybe the algo does not know how to deal with the influx of new articles and it is just slamming them all. I would expect more to be importing from Squidoo shortly.

Sorry if that is the case.  Someone who knows this site better than I do may be able to weigh in on whether that could hurt a topic.  If that is the case, it may straighten itself out in a month or two.

I did notice that I recently wrote two articles on the same topic and published them within 2 weeks of each other.  The first article was getting 30 views a day, then with publishing the second, the first article dropped down to 12 views a day. The new article is DOA.

That (potentially) really stinks.  My article on food intolerances has now fallen ten points since last night, so maybe that category got hit hard, too.

Still, heck of a coincidence for it to start falling within hours (or possibly less) of linking to it in a blog post.

Nearly every fall in scores, especially the last week or two,  has a potential solution that needs to have 'just happened' to have occurred within a very short time frame (hours or less) of  directly promoting or indirectly promoting a hub to negate this relationship.

I stopped promoting in any way shape or form about five days ago, after obsessing over correlations in a thread, and being inspired therein to make cookies and take a break.

In the last 24 hours or so, I decided that was silly and did fairly minor linking and sharing, in addition to mentioning some of my topics in this thread.

So, for this to have happened more than five or six times by coincidence is pretty improbable.  For it to happen that many times, with virtually no major score changes during the days I took a break is more than I can accept without un-taking statistics and study design courses I've had in the past.

If only I could undo that A in graduate level non-parametric statistics......then I could keep writing hubs.

big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)