Remove the stats altogether!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (81 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 9 years ago

This is a serious suggestion.

The stats is a sore point for many hubbers. I say if HP can't fix it then remove it. No use having it if we can't get an update at least daily. The page views haven't moved for one week and in other forum it says that the issue has been resolved.

Remove this or fix it so we can hub in peace!

1. makingamark profile image69
      makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You could always try not looking at the stats. page. smile

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are right.  The stats is a disappointing factor for many hubbers.  We lose our confidence too on this negative trend.  Also, now a days the earnings also badly affected. It is high time the HP team do some great damage control mission.

3. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i am ok whether the stats are there or not coz my earnings isn't good either.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa,
      Simply do not open the page.

Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why on earth should I not open the page? I have hubs there. My earnings depend on traffic to my pages. Why on earth would I not check? That makes no sense to me.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think he was trying to say that if it is upsetting you to see the page right now, just don't look.  I don't think he meant to tell you to never look at your stats.  The point is that if the numbers are frozen, what is the point of looking...and looking...and...well, you get my drift.

Looks like things are improving now however, so go ahead and look away!

2. profile image0
    M L Morganposted 9 years ago

Or at least give us a realistic time estimate of when it will be fixed, from a tech official and not other hubbers guestimates smile

Can you imagine that in the other thread it say that the frozen stats have been resolved? Who the hell is in control of the forums and such issues?

1. sallybea profile image94
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The stats are really useful when they work - which lately has been pretty dismal.  Bring back Simone is what I say.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
          Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

I think this is a really bad suggestion because without those stats it is impossible to know what each hub is doing and how it compares to others you have written.

This is a tech glitch, nothing more, and I suspect the team is reading these posts and sweating bullets trying to fix the problem.

Yes, it is very frustrating, and for me as well as anybody else.  I am now completing a complete update of every single hub and have no way of knowing whether what I am doing is succeeding.  GA is not a good source for this type of info, and those who suggest we use it forget how tedious it is.  That is not the answer.

The answer is to just put on our big boy pants and wait until things get fixed.  Complaining is doing nothing but allowing people to vent and upsetting everybody even more. 

There may be more involved in this than just the stats, so it is likely that Paul has had to call in some outside help to analyze the entire server.  I do notice that earnings are updated daily, and feel they are probably correct or will be made correct once the problem is fixed.

Maybe the best thing is to do nothing and stay off the site until after Thanksgiving.  Checking every day is only going to make things worse.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
              Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Um ... why are you quoting me? I plus-oned Sallybea's post.

Sorry   I didn't realize I was doing that.  I was only responding to the original post with my own views.

2. makingamark profile image69
                makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@ Jayne Lancer - Because you are looking at in chronological mode (where the previous post is automatically inserted) as opposed to threaded mode which I assume TimeTraveller is viewing in!

makingamark:  Thank you for clarifying this.  I was beginning to feel like a moron!  Also, even though  my post seemed "misplaced"...what's the big deal?  We are discussing an important issue here, and Jayne is worrying about the fact that I responded to her when I should have responded to somebody else?  Really?  Give me a break!

2. Millionaire Tips profile image93
              Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your voice of reason.

3. brakel2 profile image73
              brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

They are busy revising the site and admit they have a lean staff. I am going to get busy and work on a hub. We cannot be at a standstill. They are tabulating earnings. Frustrating, I know.

That post was for all of the people who are worrying themselves sick about all of this.  I continue to update my articles significantly and only have 3 more to go until I finally am finished!   It is my fervent hope that doing this will put me back in the game, but if nothing else, doing this allowed me to see just how bad some of my articles were!  Not any more!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
                  Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've said this before, TT2, but if you are using daily stats to make decisions about whether your tweaks are working, then you're almost certainly making really bad decisions.

When you make a change, it can take weeks for the effect of that change to fully work through.  If you see a change in stats the day after you changed something, chances are it has nothing to do with what you just did.

Marisa:

Those stats do not just reflect current views.  I chart them to look back over the months and years to see how they stack up.  I understand your view on this, but I also think much depends on your topic.  Some are slower than others, obviously, to take hold, but I'm no longer sure I buy into the "let it mature" way of thinking.  I have some I waited years for that never went anywhere, and others that took off from day one.  Yes, there were a few that improved with time, but only a few.

3. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

Stats on HP are just for reference. Use Google Analytics if you want real time details...

1. neosurk profile image86
      neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The whole point of this whole #### situation is to NOT use Google Analytics. We still know we can use it. But we don't want to. We want HubPages to fix the stats.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Pretty demanding for a newbie

Ha! Whatever. I already feel "at home" here in HP.
          I came from Squidoo, btw. And nice to meet you too big_smile

1. profile image0

Nice to meet you too, really !
            I'm glad you feel at home..go ahead boss everyone around smile  neutral sad  big_smile

LOL. Sometimes I get frustrated and start behaving as a child smile

1. profile image0

No, I'm just kidding, with you. (I have a dry sense of humor)
                I think it's great to act like a child, always young at heart.

2. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google only know what Google knows; there are more sources of traffic that just the Google search engine. G does not know what Bing and Yahoo are up to.  Therefore it does not give a complete picture.  I find that Bing/Yahoo and Google seem to like different hubs and while Google has no awareness of one hub, Bing/Yahoo are all over it.

I want one source that knows about all visits to my hubs and how they may have gotten there. That is why I would like the stats to work and be accurate.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
        lobobrandonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's not how it works. Analytics gives you details about traffic from all sources not just Google. No one would use it if it worked the way you think it does. Check it out.

1. Solaras profile image94

Okay I have a post with no Google referrals but a number of them from Yahoo and Bing.  This page does not show up at all on my GA account. So I know there have been views, but it is as if the page does not exist on GA.  How is that possible?

1. lobobrandon profile image87
            lobobrandonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not sure why that's happening. Mine were always perfect, be it yahoo, bing or even pinterest and Facebook traffic it all shows well.

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Brandon's right about GA counting more sources than Google, however it doesn't count all traffic. It operates using Javascript code on a site and if a visitor has Javascript disabled, for instance, it doesn't count that visitor. On my own sites, I get stats from AwStats which actually does count all visits, in a much more direct way. I've always kind of wondered about the reliability of GA. I've found conflicting answers about its reliability.

Also, when I look at Acquisition, Keywords, it tells me that out of 16K sessions over 14K are "not provided."  How can it not know how 88% of my traffic came to my Hubpages articles?  I don't find the data there I get very useful.

Those not provided things annoy me too. But neither Google or HubPages can do anything about it. Those are the keywords viewers used from Google search addresses beginning with https://

That means, they are encrypted and even Big G does not know it big_smile

I don't know what that means lol.

What I do know is that Google Adwords and other advertisers know everything that I do: every click or search I make, even my instant messages all return ads to me directed at my last action on the computer.

I can relate to that. I visit an Amazon page and the ads all over other websites are about the same product for days. However, I've never heard of tracking instant messages too.

Adwords customers know your keywords because the links are being tracked by Google. For web adresses that begin with https:// instead of http:// (s means secure),     Google cannot disclose the keyword because it's secured. This is the same security used to store passwords, credit card information etc.

Got it!

I was instant messaging someone in Gmail.  He mentioned he needed to resurface his swimming pool.  Immediately I had an ad at the top of the page for local swimming pool resurfacing.  Creepy.

2. Maffew James profile image93
            Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They won't tell you the keyword from an encrypted search because the searcher is meant to remain anonymous and private. That information is found in your Webmaster Tools account under 'search queries'.

3. NateB11 profile image88

I was trying to remember this before; another reason a visit will not be counted by GA is if the visitor doesn't go down far enough on the page for the code to be read. The other thing is that AwStats, which my webhost provides for my sites, has an actual count from log files from the server. I'm still learning this stuff, but what it means is that it's going by actual activity on the site, actual records of visits directly. GA doesn't do that. This is why many people say that AwStats is more accurate.

Thanks for sharing that!

1. NateB11 profile image88

No problem.

2. neosurk profile image86

That is not true, Nate. The reader does not need to go down enough for the code to be read (or loaded), because the code will have already been loaded by the page. Does your hub text or picture at the bottom load only after you scroll? Does the comment box load only after you scroll enough down? Does the advertisement only appear after you scroll down?No. As soon as you open the page, boom - every code is loaded. Same with the Google Analytics code.

My Analytics data shows visits of duration 1sec, 2sec, 3 sec and even 0 seconds, that means the code have already been loaded. Analytics is accurate and tracks all your visits people, but I'm still on the side of those voting for HP stats! big_smile

1. jeffryv profile image64
                  jeffryvposted 9 years agoin reply to this
                2. NateB11 profile image88

Hi, neosurk. My understanding is that it doesn't load all at once. This is why people have different ideas about where to place GA code on their sites. Put in the wrong place, it might not execute before someone leaves. Number two in this article alludes to this http://blog.crazyegg.com/2013/01/31/why … naccurate/ but I've also read about it elsewhere. I think jeff's article discusses this too.

I do trust GA though and I use it in various ways and often. It's a great tool, no doubt about that.

I'm on the side of HP stats too. They totally come in handy, hope they get fixed soon.

I'm amazed. Thanks! big_smile

1. NateB11 profile image88

No problem.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's not true.  Analytics tracks ALL visits to your Hub, from any source.

1. profile image0
            bobtyndallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, that isn't the case for me either. Analytic's only shows hits to my hubpage. No other traffic is recorded. Pinterest, yummly, foodie, facebook, G+, there is no sign of them at all. However, my hub stats show all of these.

Robert, if you go to Acquisition>Social>Overview, you will see every social network that brought you visits - even with the exact post URL that brought the traffic.

1. profile image0
                bobtyndallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that info. However, Overview doesn't show all. All Traffic does.
                Learn something new every day smile

Well, that's what I tried to mean :p

2. Solaras profile image94

Well weirdly my HP account shows views coming from Bing and Yahoo that are not registered by Google.  Nate had an explanation on another thread that made sense to me.  However, this topic has so many threads I can't point you to it right now.

3. Cardisa profile image89

There you go Brandon,I hate people telling me to use GA. I didn't sign up with GA to post my articles. I am not getting paid by GA. Even if the stats here are just for reference, the point is, HAVE THEM FIXED HP!

1. WillStarr profile image81
          WillStarrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

I agree, but HubPages isn't for authors so much as it's for technos who understand how to direct internet traffic to make money. My Adsense account was closed almost three years ago because someone in Europe was doing something with it, and I lost all my earnings.

So now, I just write because it's what I do, and I no longer care about stats because it means nothing to me.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
          LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12008512_f248.jpg

HP; The crowd is getting restless!!!!!!

4. Esperanta profile image74
        Esperantaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, why should I use Google Analytics, which is totally unintuitive and extremely difficult to use?

Secondly, I consider it vital to the transparency of a site that it shows me the parameters on which it is basing my payments. If Hubpages no longer wishes to supply this information, it means I can no longer trust Hubpages not to cheat me.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image93

My understanding is that the views on the stats page and the impressions on the earnings page come from two different sources, and only correlate with each other in that they are reporting similar things.

1. Esperanta profile image74
            Esperantaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If that is truly the case, then I have no means of knowing I have not been cheated from Day 1. sad

Actually, yes, those stats are from different sources. Views in your earnings should be equal to 60% of the views you got plus/minus difference in time zone reports.

And since they are different, I think you can correlate more to check the accuracy. Note that ad views should not be equal to 60% of the "24 hour" views.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image93

HubPages could be cheating you, but even if they did regularly provide stats (without hiccups like this one), they could tweak the stats to make you think they are not.

I feel wary when I go to an auto mechanic or need a repair in my home.  But eventually, I do have to find someone and trust that they will do the repair without cheating me.

I trust HubPages.  I wouldn't be writing here if I didn't.

It would be pretty stupid of the HP team to try and cheat its writers because someone, sooner or later, would figure out what they were doing, publicize it, and everybody would quit!

I agree with Millionaire Tips...if you really do not trust the team and think that what they are doing has some evil intent, then it is time for you to find another place to write.

I have always trusted HP and, although I do not always agree with some of the ways they do things, etc., I think they offer us an excellent platform for learning how to write online, producing good content and perhaps making a little money along the way.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

The views on the stats page are a running number that represents what any article has earned in views over a 24 hour period.  For example, if I publish an article at 6 PM my time one day, what it has earned by 6 PM the next day represents one day's worth of views.

The impressions are 60% of that number.  So, if I earn 100 page views, it will compute as 60 impressions, and those are the ones I get paid for based on my "cents per thousand" or CPMs.

This is a basic overview, but I think there are also some impressions we do not get paid for and never see that also figure into the formula from HP.

GA, on the other hand, runs its views from midnight to midnight on any given day, so this is why the numbers are different.

Both, as far as I know, include all page views, even your own.  So when you are editing or checking a hub, those views are added, but are not views for which you are paid...for obvious reasons.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

lobobrandon:  If you are just using the stats for reference, you are missing out big time.  There are many ways to manipulate them that allow you to see how things are going, what needs to be updated, what is succeeding and what is not doing so well.  They are a treasure house of information that I, personally, use every single day to help me.  When they are not available, I cannot do that, and GA comes nowhere near them for usability.

3. viking305 profile image92
      viking305posted 9 years ago

I use HP stats for seeing how each Hub is doing for traffic.  It is an easy quick process. You can not get that info in Analytics so quickly. So please DO NOT get rid of the HP stats

4. Millionaire Tips profile image93
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I would prefer to get the stats sometimes rather than never. I am willing to wait.  I think they just need to let us know:
      - what is involved in keeping them updated
      -give us a more realistic expectation of when they will be fixed and
      - how often we should expect them to be updated.

5. makingamark profile image69
      makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I use HP stats for finding out if my revisions have worked re lens which need to be brought up to hub standard

Google Analytics does not provide this information.

If people are to avoid wasting their time the stats need to be sorted or an extension needs to be given re the squidoo lenses because right now the stats are garbled.

6. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 9 years ago

My GA account refuses to give me stats on landing pages for the last two days -"information for the last 2 days is not available."  I find it unacceptable to wait 3 days to know what happened when I made a major adjustment to a hub.  I know Marissa thinks that is short sighted, but I want to know.  Simple.

Nothing is giving me any valuable feedback right now, and I am used to getting it. So that is frustrating.  Revolutions are not born out of people living in poverty; they are born out of conditions worsening. Not that I am advocating a revolution, just that this is human nature; we don't like having less than yesterday or the week before.

7. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years ago

Bite your tongue Cardisa. Please HubPages, don't get rid of the stats page! OK, it can be annoying when it does not update for a few days, but better late than never I say. I can't do without my stats page!

1. lbrummer profile image96
        lbrummerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am also waiting for the stats to update, but even if it takes a bit longer, I'd rather wait for the techs to feel that they actually have it fixed rather than for them to hurry up just to satisfy my wanting the stats, "now."  I think of it as,  if a plane I were scheduled to fly on had to be grounded for mechanical issues, I might complain about the delay and how inconvenient it is for me, but I'd rather the mechanics take their time and get the problem fixed before boarding that plane.  I'd rather be inconvenienced time wise, than to regret my impatience. 
        That might seem like comparing apples to oranges to some, but I'll wait for the stats page to update whenever it updates.  Like everyone else, I miss the updates and hope the stats are back up soon.  Like most everything else in life, when things work we take it for granted, when they don't work we notice and are shocked and annoyed. 
        Maybe when the stats are up again, we should start a thread on how we appreciate HP.  I'm one of the ex-Squids that love it here on HP.  I've been mighty pleased with how broken links are brought to our attention quickly and referenced to the link itself.  That's a huge time saver.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

This issue has persisted longer that usual, even for HP. Staff has done little (so far as I know) to keep us informed. As much as I love to post new articles (I have about 12 waiting to be published) I think it would be prudent to wait before I publish anything else.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

Since sometimes I can be very stubborn I decided to give HP the benefit of the doubt and went ahead and published another hub today. I should have followed my own advice and waited for the stats to finally be fixed.

The hub shows no views (not even 1) which is extremely hard....even for me, after being published for a few hours now.

This goes to show you that you should listen to your own advice before acting as dumb as I appear to have done!

The lack of stats and incentive to publish anything here finally resulted in my uploading my own site - it was the just kick up the jumper I needed to make me do it - thanks to HubPages for motivating me sufficiently - I even managed to monetize it!  Hooray!

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean you now have your own site? Congratulations, Sallybea.

Yes, I converted my photography site into a felting one - it just seamed the right thing to do.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

So...what's the website?

Never mind I found it...looks great BTW

Thanks LuisEGonzalez

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Luis:

I don't think you made a mistake.  Just because no views are showing it does not mean you do not have some.  The stats are frozen.  When they get fixed, all of the views will be there.

Also, note that the earnings are still working, oddly enough.  Keep the faith.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12009514_f248.jpg

Seems we're back to the stone age....doesn't it?................lol

10. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

Well...it seems that the stats were finally taken care of....good grief!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)