Do You Use Social Media to Bring Traffic To Your Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (56 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 8 years ago

Do you use social media to bring traffic to your hubs?  What are your favorites?

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Minimally. I click on the FB and Twitter buttons and share on the FB groups I belong to (which is only two). In addition to that, I email people from my address book whom I think may be interested.

I don't use social media much. I know it's recommended, but I don't keep up with SM the way many others do. Maybe that's why I'm not rich. Ha ha! :-)

vocalcoachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sha - Thanks for your reply.  At one time I picked up views from Stumbleupon and am thinking of linking there again.

2. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've tried hard but Pinterest is the only source which gives a consistent trickle of traffic. Twitter should be a good way of promoting content if you have a lot of followers. Unfortunately your tweet can get lost in the constantly flowing stream and not be spotted, especially if your followers have lots of followers themselves. There are Twitter apps which will broadcast your tweets at regular intervals to increase the number of impressions and potential clicks. I think this is against Twitters TOS though. Its always wise to categorise your tweets with hashtags. That way your tweets have the potential to show up later if someone clicks on a tag and searches through the list.
      I've had practically no traffic from Stumbleupon.
      Google+ can give you a spike in traffic if your post is popular. Join relevant Google+ communities so that you can post links or photos which may be of interest to people with similar interests to yours...or setup your own community to promote your own material and invite others to share.
      I haven't has any success with Facebook, still haven't figured out why.
      Also try to interact positively with other users of social media by helping, commenting, retweeting and sharing etc. This may help you gain a reputation (a good one hopefully!)

3. Tom Ramstack profile image57
      Tom Ramstackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LinkedIn doesn't do anything for you?

2. tosha11 profile image60
    tosha11posted 8 years ago

Nope, not that I know of unless they share for which they have the option to.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 8 years ago

Only Pinterest.  My experience with FB is that it gives a small surge that quickly dies off.  It also irritates FB friends and family.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, so true, FaceBook friends and family do not really care to be bombarded with hubs ...I do share my hubs when I first publish them on Pinterest, Twitter and G+. Plus, I share others' hubs on HP and all three other social media. Not sure how much traffic it brings but I have noticed some of others' hubs that I have shared do well on Pinterest. I think a part of belonging to this community, we should all share as much of others' hubs as possible on social media to show support for those who we love to read. I think that is the whole idea why we even have share buttons.

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with FB. Besides to be effective one needs a large following. Another sore spot is multiple times listing an article to FB friends does as you say irritate them with mention of spamming.

4. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

A little bit from Pinterest, which seems to be the most effective. I have shared on Facebook which brings some traffic. Interestingly, I do get a certain amount of social media traffic for articles I never shared; which is how this whole thing is supposed to work anyway.

5. SpaceShanty profile image93
    SpaceShantyposted 8 years ago

Yep, not all Hubs work well with social media traffic but i do get about 500 views a day from Pinterest.

6. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 8 years ago

Pinterest gives the most consistent views for me.  Stumbleupon.com gives a few views on the day you post.  Google + can be useful for longer term views, and may help with link juice. Find groups that are interested in your topics and like a bunch of other people's stuff too.

I don't like twitter, so I can't comment on that. Facebook, there is a Hubpages account that gives a few views too.  Search for Hubpages and you will find an account to post your articles to.  It helps if you give a lead-in as to why you wrote the article.

Thanks for this helpful information.  I'm going to be more active on Google+.

7. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 8 years ago

Yes, Pinterest especially!

Kierstin - Thanks for relying.

8. lyoness913 profile image79
    lyoness913posted 8 years ago

I like to use social media when it's relative.  For example, I wrote an article on the show 'Outlander' and I posted in the facebook group I am in with other Outlander fans.  I also wrote an article on Wheaten Terriers and did the same. 

Good question smile

-Wendi

9. Enigmamity profile image69
    Enigmamityposted 8 years ago

I do use Facebook and Google+ to bring my article into other people's sight but it rarely leads to any traffic improvement. Just a day or two of traffic that's it. I am still not getting much traffic from Google and that might be because I am a newcomer.

10. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image94
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 8 years ago

I use Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter, but Pinterest is the most successful for my articles.

11. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

No.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with online and real-life friends and LinkedIn for work-related contacts. I would not dream of spamming either set of people with links to my hubs and web sites!

I also unfriend people who constantly spam me in that way.

12. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

As for Pinterest, I used it a few times. Then it started nagging me to register my business, or something like that. Since I do not fall for scams like that, I have pretty well stopped using the site.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

I use Facebook and that's pretty much it. I don't Google+, I don't Tweet and I never had much luck with Pinterest so eventually I stopped trying.

14. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

I don't think I ever 'share' my writing with Facebook anymore.  I do occasionally put a picture up and sometimes a product but I don't expect anyone to do anything,   They might say cool - that would be nice.

I use Twitter but purely for being offensive to politicians and celebrities.  Marketing on there seems a total dead loss.

I have started Pinning product again to Pinterest but I am not sure whether there is any point in it.

But sharing HubPages?  Why would anyone want to be given a link to something I wrote?  Doesn't make sense to me.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Because it's funny, and everyone could use a good laugh.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ah OK, I asked for that.  It was a bit obvious.  More pleading tomorrow.

Sadly, most of my 'funny' content has moved on elsewhere and I can now report it made not a single shred of difference to performance.  If anything it makes less money because HP Ads is pretty generous.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have pinned a few of your funny pics to Pinterest, and I shared that "How to Remove Your Head From Your Ass" post on Facebook. I don't know how far it spread, but few of my friends and family were truly appreciative (they really needed that info.)

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hey thanks Sherry!

So that's who did the Share thing... smile

15. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

The a hole spammer above has been reported (and now deleted).  I make that a record for me.  Four minutes after he signed up I reported his forum posts and his profile.

These people and their spam make me sick.  I guess they must still pull in some suckers who think you can make $8423 with no talent, no effort and a couple of hours work.

After five years I am still trying to get above a dollar a day.  Yep.  One lousy dollar.

I suspect that is the REALITY of internet writing for most truthful people.

16. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

That sounds very familiar.

Hear hear!

17. Lee Hansen profile image78
    Lee Hansenposted 8 years ago

Most of my traffic originates from Pinterest, through organic pins (not my own marketing)

18. Jason Marovich profile image89
    Jason Marovichposted 8 years ago

Give the masses what they want.  Do they want a link to your article?  If so, give it to them.  If not, don't.  It's my belief (and has been for some time) that Google's algorithm frowns on views that don't result in reader satisfaction (how does Google know? Dunno, it just does).

Take the hub that went viral recently.  I don't know if it was originally self-promoted but it doesn't matter.  It was what people wanted to see at that time.  Timing and content are everything on the internet.  That's why I had predicted a couple years ago that Mark Ewbie would hit the jackpot at some point.  His material is likely to hit people at the right time and potentially go viral.  It's still very possible.

There are so many factors involved but what I feel Twitter is useful for is to get a gauge of what is trending.  What if stickmen were trending and Ewbie self-promoted.  Jackpot.  What if someone found a profoundly useful ingredient in a certain type of apple and you just happened to have the only exceptional content on that apple in your portfolio.  Jackpot.  Timing and content are everything on the internet.

19. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

I'm beginning to appreciate the power of Pinterest. Although I don't hang out there, I get a number of pins a few times a week that sometimes result in red arrows. I wish I had time to be more active with it. I use Twitter as well but it doesn't result in much views. But I get new followers.

20. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 8 years ago

Just Pinterest and Google+ once in awhile Twitter. Facebook never works for me.

21. profile image0
    Robilo2posted 8 years ago

I do not get much traffic from FB or Twitter.  I have +1000 views on my 15 hubs.
    Non - hubpage views come from:
    1. google
    2. stumbleupon
    3. pearltrees
    4. google.ca

I am working on reviewing/updating my Pinterest boards.  I added some other hubpage pins my boards that are similar in topic to mine - hope that helps some other hub authors.. !

22. Rachelle Williams profile image91
    Rachelle Williamsposted 8 years ago

I wouldn't dare inundate my friends and family on FB with all my hubs, but Twitter, Pinterest and Google + might be fair game. Currently, I'm taking a course on Lynda.com for "How to Rock Social Media for Business." I'm institute some of what I'mlearning and then post in the forums about my progress (or lack thereof).

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We will be interested to see what they suggest and, what works!

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you're looking to Facebook, groups are the way to go. See my hub on "How To Get Lots Of (Real) Facebook Likes And Engagement". It works pretty well for a short term thing.

23. njmanura profile image88
    njmanuraposted 8 years ago

My experience of using social media with hubpages is not good. It is because Hubpages seems to ignore social media traffic. I once had thousands of views for one of my hub from facebook. But i got same earning as the previous day.

24. CassandraCae profile image84
    CassandraCaeposted 8 years ago

Pinterest is amazing.  I love it.  It has helped me reach such a large audience.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
      Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm trying to figure out how people benefit the most from Pinterest. Is it just by sharing pins of your hubs or do you pin and comment a lot on others pins?

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You have to be an active participant with great boards.  Pinterest boards themselves often rank very high in Google Search results, plus, if you have fantastic boards with a very tight theme with a lot of great content (only a fraction of that should be your own or you'll be seen as a spammer) people will follow and repin. 

I've had way over a half a million page views to my hubs from Pinterest.

Twitter sucks, Facebook is merely "ok" and if you know what you are doing and you invest some time in it Pinterest is not only extremely fun, it brings a lot of traffic.  I pin things from all my sites not just HubPages.  I love Pinterest though.  I am a visual person - so I use boards for everything and it keeps me organized. 

Most of the time my hubs are pinned organically without me promoting them much at all.  Great images, amazing content and remembering your reader when you write the hub.  They want you to teach them something, solve a problem or entertain them... if you do those things succinctly and well and have a great image that catches the eye, you can get a lot of Pinterest traffic even without marketing your hubs yourself.

25. Elderberry Arts profile image92
    Elderberry Artsposted 8 years ago

I have tried several social networks but the only one I have found that really brings in any traffic is Pinterest. I pin a photo from each hub and add the title.

26. CassandraCae profile image84
    CassandraCaeposted 8 years ago

Share my pins

Share other pins.  Do not really comment much.

27. ilikegames profile image63
    ilikegamesposted 8 years ago

I've had some limited success with Pinterest but I think it depends on your niche really and where your visitors are.

28. Enigmamity profile image69
    Enigmamityposted 8 years ago

Pinterest seems to be popular among majority of the hubbers. This is what I could make out from this discussion. The traffic from Pinterest really depends on what kind of images you pin. Not every image is visually appealing. Another important factor is the niche that you select. Helpful info from you all smile

29. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

Pinterest - 100% the easiest one to use IMO. If you use a high quality MFP image, people will pin it direct from your hub.

30. Kimberleyclarke profile image83
    Kimberleyclarkeposted 8 years ago

I used to be obsessed with Facebook and Twitter when I was a musician - I kidded myself that I was posting only in order to promote my musical wares. However, I got totally sucked in to the minutiae of other peoples lives, to the point where I felt miserable about my own. I cut those social media ties in 2011 and haven't looked back! I have a Google+ page, but don't see that as social networking - no ones seems to interact at all on there! Or perhaps it's just me they don't talk to smile I do pop my Hubs on there, but I don't get any feedback/interaction about them.

1. eugbug profile image96

If you join some of the Google+ communities relevant to what you post, I find it helps as regards getting feedback ( your post is also automatically added to your own page), especially if communities have tens of thousands of members.

31. Wavie profile image61
    Wavieposted 8 years ago

I don't share the hubs on my profile but I send the links to those of my friends whom I think might be interested in a particular hub. And I also post the occasional link to my groups if it is relevant.

32. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Pinterest wins in my opinion.

As I was reading the comment on this thread, I was thinking about how exciting it would be to have a hub go viral on any of the social sharing sites.

1. eugbug profile image96

I wish followers would retweet tweets. Most of the time they just favourite, which isn't much use.

33. honey profile image63
    honeyposted 8 years ago

posting the hub link to twitter also helps in getting some retweets smile

34. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

Fb does not really works for me. Fb "friends" only liked but donĀ“t really bother to check the hub. I think the most traffic I got is from pinterest and Google+.

35. susi10 profile image95
    susi10posted 8 years ago

Pinterest is AWESOME.

I got 27,000 pins to one of my hubs and it landed over 150,000 views for me just from Pinterest alone.

Looks like the MFP's are working!
    big_smile

36. Carola Finch profile image91
    Carola Finchposted 8 years ago

Absolutely.  Twitter seems to work the best.

37. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 8 years ago

I use Facebook. I have a lot of hubs on varied subjects so I find Facebook pages according to the subjects and post my relevant links on them. Seems to help with traffic. smile

38. Pawpawwrites profile image61
    Pawpawwritesposted 8 years ago

It is the only way I was able to get traffic to my hubs. Once I figured out that I could send traffic to a page, I didn't see any point in sharing the revenue. G+ works for me more than FB, or pinterest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)