Help! Technotard First Class here

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Veronica Bright profile image58
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Okay, well, I'm learning anyway.  The problem is, I now have 4 blogs (including hubpages) and I have a website (my own dot com) which I am thinking of revamping.  I do travel itineraries, but the competition has much more advanced technology than I.  I was thinking of just blogging about what there is to do and see in Nebraska, and hope Nebraska Businesses would want to advertise there?  Make sense?  Is that a good move?  I see on hubpages my Nebraska stories have more hits than any of them.

I am slowly learning about stumble upon and Alexa....but I can't add them to some of my blogs such as on PNN.

I spend an average of 16 hours a day writing and working on sites.  This can't continue!  Please tell me in your opinion, which sites are best on which to blog and add stumbleupon and the others too? 

I've been reading a lot of the hubs on here, and some of you are just so much more advanced and in the "know" about money through advertising.  The thing is, I also really enjoy writing, and I've even been published.  Help me to do both, please! 

I'll continue to read the forums and figure out things on my own, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Veronica

2. Mark Bennett profile image61
    Mark Bennettposted 15 years ago

Veronica,

Don't worry, this is the hardest part for writers to learn. A blog can be a profit centre by itself, but you need to take a business approach to it.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-9-Ways-To-M … m-Blogging
    http://hubpages.com/hub/100-Things-To-D … d-Bloggers

If you want to know about Adsense:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Understanding-Y … nt-Reports
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-run-Goog … our-blog_3

And alternatives to Adsense:

http://hubpages.com/hub/101-Google-Adsense-Alternatives
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Recycle-Your-Ar … for-Profit

Good luck with it!

3. seohowto profile image60
    seohowtoposted 15 years ago

Hi, Veronica

I have recently posted some tips on how to monetize a blog, plz take a look

http://wagg.it/blog/category/blogging/monetizing-blog/

and I also wanted to add that 1) you will invest your time before you see results and it's ok 2) your profit will depend on your traffic, which is why more traffic you have more money you make.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Veronica

It may help if you stop thinking of HubPages as a blogging site. What really works here is magazine-style, informative articles.  That's probably why your Nebraska Hubs do well - they have more solid information.  Quite a few of your articles would benefit from a re-work to make them sound more professional.

I'm not saying you don't write well - just that you've used a style which is more chat and less substance, very appropriate for a blog but less so for HP.  Most of your readers on HP are people who've typed something into a search engine looking for information, not a reverie!

Looks like you're already splitting your text up into several capsules, to allow Adsense ads in between, so that's good.   Look at floating your eBay or Amazon capsules over to the right and mixing them into the middle of your Hub, instead of at the bottom where people can ignore them!   

Personally, I prefer my photos small and floated to the right, too - when I come across a large pic cutting across the middle of the article, there's always a chance I will stop reading right there and not scroll on down.  Always have a photo at the top right hand corner.

Don't worry about being a techno-ignoramus - I've lost count of the number of times I've had to revise my Hubs as I've learned more about things!

Are you sure you've pasted all your codes into the Affiliate section of your account, and do you know how to check your earnings?

5. Veronica Bright profile image58
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Thank you all...I am taking notes, keep those tips coming!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)