You know you're getting old when ...

Jump to Last Post 51-70 of 70 discussions (113 posts)
  1. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

When you remember when there were no Ipods, Ipads, mp3 players, cell phones, microwave ovens, VCRs, CDs and when there were only three channels on TVs in the U.S. to watch.

1. TahoeDoc profile image77
      TahoeDocposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My kids gave me a funny look today while watching "How It's Made". I explained to them that we couldn't fast-forward through a commercial because we were watching the show when it was on, that it hadn't been recorded and stored on a DVR. I felt old because they didn't get it and will never know about getting up to change channels between the 3 available, unless, of course you wanted to go outside to turn the antennae to get the UHF channel. Yikes.

2. txgal profile image59
    txgalposted 13 years ago

I know I'm getting old because when I smile I can see fine wrinkles and using tons of anti-aging creams.

3. theseus profile image70
    theseusposted 13 years ago

You know you are getting old when you remember you high school days and you cry and laugh at the same time.

4. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

You know you are getting old when you get sentimental when thinking about making compilation tapes of all your favourites weepy songs!

5. Bellamie profile image60
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

When your own children threaten to pick your nursing home!  What is THAT all about?!

6. Bellamie profile image60

When you start crying while watching Little House! ("back in the day...")

7. Bellamie profile image60

When you laugh and cry at the same time!  Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this?!

8. Bellamie profile image60

Sorry Thesus...didn't see your comment.  Glad to know others laugh and cry at the same time!  Kinda hurts, right?!

9. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

.... you're physician is half your age ....

..... and you know more about medicine than he does ...  lol

10. toknowinfo profile image71
    toknowinfoposted 13 years ago

When a college student tells you, oh yeah you know alot, you're just from a different generation

11. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

You're getting old when they actually use ALL the candles for your birthday cake, attempt to light them ALL, and as the last one is lit you try to blow them all out, spraying hot wax on standers by, and covering the cake's frosting in a wax shell.

Sad but true story...LOL...the first candles lit were burnt to nubs as the last candle took the flame. Some one shouted "Quick!!! Blow them out before we have to call the fire department!" I willingly obliged, which then resulted in the hot wax job on everything and most everyone.

Serves them right for mocking my wisdom and maturity....

lol

12. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

But the reverse of that is....
    people still think I am my daughter's older brother.

Apparently there is no happy medium for me...

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

You spot a forum thread about vinyl records making a comeback, see the fondness a lot of people who never had to "really live with them" seem to have for them, and post a big response about the realities of actually having nothing but vinyl records "for your listening pleasure".

..and, by the way, speak out in favor of the much more user-friendly and convenient, mp3.

14. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 13 years ago

It starts when police officers look young. Then female police officers look attractive. And now the judges look ridiculously young.

And one of my younger colleagues asked me to explain to the class what a Telex was and I could also tell them what a Telex looked like.

I saw some eggs cheap in my local supermarket recently - only two shillings each!

15. profile image0
    philip carey 61posted 13 years ago

When you read the obituaries to see if you're still alive.

16. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I found out that I also needed glasses pretty bad. Even trying to read the directions on a TV dinner can't be achieved without them.

Also, going into a club and seeing all those buff young guys with their thick heads of hair, makes this old baldy feel 100. I once met this good looking young man who guess my age at 32. And, I found myself saying (like an old lady) Well, aren't you sweet.

I felt even older when he told me he was born in 1982. The year I should have graduated from highschool! felt like I was robbing the cradle, and he was 27! That made me feel even older!

But, then again, I also had a 17 year old girl ask me out on a date once. I said, you do know that I'm old enough to be your father. I was 40 when she asked me. I told her and she goes...OMG! You're older than hell. I didn't know that! LOL!! (A lot of other things she didn't know:)

But, yeah I'm old 46 this year. (September)

1. brimancandy profile image77
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OOPS! I am old! I'm actually going to be 47. I'm 46 now!

1. brimancandy profile image77
        brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was wrong again! back to 46 in September. I think being a pot-aholic is staring to take it's toll. Either that, or, I'm going crazy!

17. Holiday Hannah profile image60
    Holiday Hannahposted 13 years ago

You know you're old when you hair is too white to absorb hair coloring.

18. Pente profile image78
    Penteposted 13 years ago

When Gloria Stuart starts looking hot!

1. A la carte profile image60
      A la carteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about old but I do know about stupid when your fingers work the keyboard and your brain has died because of alcohol intake.

19. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

when u forget to take your socks off before getting into the shower smile

20. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

When you can't remember what was the last word you said.

When you fill the kettle and put it in the refrigerator to boil.

When your knees start creaking like Cinderilla's ugly sister.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)