Further Tests to Address Panda

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 79 discussions (118 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I just posted a blog post http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/06/prepar … ess-panda/ with a recap and a test we will be doing at a larger scale that we are shooting for the end of June due to the complexity.

If you're interested in being part of the test, we may need a few accounts to volunteer.  Let us know in a reply to this thread or the blog post if you're interested.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll volunteer - will there be an opportunity, if this goes live, to change usernames?

1. MartieCoetser profile image69
        MartieCoetserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are two main ‘groups’ of hubbers – The one accommodates the business orientated who regard HP as a source of income and the other group accommodates writers who enjoy the sharing and discussing of ideas and events, whether presented as an article, essay or any kind of fiction.

Does HubPages team reckon members of the latter ‘social’ group qualify for sub-domains? If yes, I am very nervously willing to be part of the test. If the answer is no, I suggest that the team clarifies their vision about this in order for all to move on to a new regime.

I do admire HP’s positive reaction on Panda. After all, every new concept is a threat until it proves itself as a better way to success.

2. Ms Dee profile image86
        Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm willing to give this a try, Paul.

3. Debbie Cook profile image76
        Debbie Cookposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am excited about the opportunity to be part of the test. Thank You!

4. profile image0
        Joolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm willing to take the shot with this account. As you can see it is a purely commercial account. Before Panda I was getting 450 page views across all hubs on the account. This has lowered significantly to around 100-120 per day on average with no improvement. I'd be interested to see if this improves things.

5. profile image0
        Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please count me in.

6. lexindica profile image58
        lexindicaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I got late here. I will more than happy to become a part of this test. If you think it is worthy of being tested then please go ahead and use my profile.

7. 2besure profile image80
        2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can I change the order of my preference for my subdomain names?

1. Robin profile image85
          Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'll check for you.  big_smile

2. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
          Fawntiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What do you want the new order to be? I'll try to change it, but please reply soon.

1. 2besure profile image80

besure on top.  Does alphabet placement matter?  I mean will a get you a better placement than z?

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

Sorry, but the subdomain besure is already taken by somebody else. The choices that you submitted to us before were: ubesure, u-besure, and bsure (in that order). Do you want bsure at the top of the list?

A subdomain starting earlier in the alphabet will give you no advantage over a subdomain starting later in the alphabet.

1. 2besure profile image80

Fawntia thanks for you quick response.  Keep my original choices with bsure being on top!

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

Ok, you've been assigned the bsure subdomain. Check your email to see what to do next, or, if you did not receive the email, go to my account > profile > subdomain when you want to move your Hubs and profile.

2. profile image54
      tlmntim9posted 12 years ago

Well I'm interested in helping and learning yet,I must admit, I'm not sure what this entails.
      tlmntim9

3. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Sounds like an excellent idea. I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I need to do the same at my site.

I'm happy to volunteer.

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
        brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is interesting and I believe this to be a good idea going forward; however, moving all articles from a specific hubber could be a mistake.  Instead this makes sense to me for new accounts going forward or for Hubbers that would like to slowly move their nonperforming hubs over. 

Well established hubs that still rank well on the first page of Google, for example, might be a mistake to move simply because of valuable backlinks/trust that could be lost that keep them right where they want to be.

It's also my understanding that if we are given a subdomain that it will need to gain it's own trust and pagerank?

One of the attractions of HP (for me at least) is how a well-written article that is given a 1st page rank on the SERP often says there.  How this would affect hubs that are written on a subdomain I'm not sure.

I hope when the change is rolled out (after the test) that we are given flexibility as I believe that would be in the best interest of both the author and HP. 

I would be interested in volunteering; however, only on a new account basis.

4. vwriter profile image89
      vwriterposted 12 years ago

If my hubs meet your standard, I'd be happy to volunteer.

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

As part of the test, we will move good and poorly performing Hubs over to subdomains.  We've tested this a bit already. With a 301 redirect Hubs regained their rankings when moving within a few days.

Our expectation is some deep links to Hubs won't pass all the link authority through a 301, but a substantial amount will pass. This is one of the tradeoffs as part of the test we are looking at to understand.  Once moved, Hubs will be logically grouped by subdomain that will help them be evaluated more independently from all the other content on HubPages.

We've heard over and over that one of the benefits of HP is having a lot of the search engine optimization built into the platform.  We will also be testing new accounts with original Hubs to see how they perform as well.  There is evidence here that they will rank well for long tail keywords, but we don't have enough data yet, so this will be an important part of the test.  In the past, a new hub for a long tail keyword on a good piece of content could quickly rank on the first three pages in the search results and move up over time.  We'll be tracking this.

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Paul,

Count me in for testing,

Cheers,

Jase

7. Jane Bovary profile image83
      Jane Bovaryposted 12 years ago

Count me in as a volunteer too. Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

I must admit that this seems a bit confusing, but if you think that it will help the community, then count me in.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Never mind, I'm too confused by this test. Sorry but I renege on volunteering.

10. Jane Bovary profile image83
      Jane Bovaryposted 12 years ago

Chicken!

11. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

I have had a couple of hours to mull this idea over and I must say it's an ingenious idea albeit one that I've seen mentioned as a suggestion (in variations) on the forums from various topics.

I had mentioned in one of those threads the importance of separating content into subdomains much the same way that a site like "toptenreviews.com" would.  The problem with my suggestion was still the mix of good articles with poorly written articles.

With this idea, those who have poorly written or spun content will find themselves limited by their own content. 

The 301 direct is another crucial point...

As I mentioned above I can't stress the importance of writer choice enough in all of this rather than immediate "sitewide" implementation if tests go well. 

I also believe it's attractive to writers if given the opportunity to list which "related hubs" they want listed in their articles whether their own or someone else's.  This is especially important with new subdomain options as having control over what content is linked to from your subdomain is crucial.

Subdomain use might also give HP the flexibility to once again allow affiliate links that were once removed. 

In summary: Additional affiliate options, control through suggestions for related hubs, and flexibility for writers with subdomains would attract not only new writers, but also bring back some of the old ones... However, a complete "sitewide implementation" brings restriction and potential loss of revenue for those who have worked hard to get their hubs to the top.

12. K9keystrokes profile image84
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I am happy to participate where ever the community needs me Paul. Not certain how valuable I can be, but I offer you my service.
      Thanks for ALL of your hard work.

13. ProCW profile image79
      ProCWposted 12 years ago

I'm game. smile

14. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

I like the idea of a subdomain, but not using the username I have for the majority of the hubs I have. If there was a way to move all of the hubs of one topic (that I write in), then I would consider volunteering, as long as I was able to have a say on the sub-domain name.
      I would want a "new username" if it was to be only by author name so it would be beneficial to the hubs in that sub-domain.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If the sub-domain has to be by "Author name", then HP should allow us a way to set-up new accounts with proper usernames that would fit a group of Hubs and be able to move those hubs to the new username account.
        The way it is now, we would have to delete hubs and wait......and then republish under a new username and lose all the links and ranking of hubs if we move them to another username.

15. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

A few questions:

Are there certain criteria you are looking for in the accounts you will test?

Are (currently) separate accounts by one author required to be placed in the subdomain for the test, or could just one account (or a few of them) be tested?

When you (Paul E.) wrote in the blog comments that new accounts could be used for the test, did you mean that established authors can start new accounts specifically for the purpose of being part of the test?

I am tentatively interested in participating, depending on the answers and on whether I would qualify.

16. KiaKitori profile image68
      KiaKitoriposted 12 years ago

I only have 5 hubs but if you're looking for a similar account for test, consider mine.

17. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 12 years ago

I'll test it out on my Wayne Tully account, but not my waynet account just yet.

Not sure about the whole process, but hey....

18. anujagarwal profile image57
      anujagarwalposted 12 years ago

Count me in as a volunteer.

19. Alhamora profile image52
      Alhamoraposted 12 years ago

Count me in for the test.

20. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

if i can help, then count me in. All I ask is that you keep me informed,

21. kannanwrites profile image93
      kannanwritesposted 12 years ago

I am in.

22. indian cooking profile image62
      indian cookingposted 12 years ago

Count me in!

23. C.V.Rajan profile image59
      C.V.Rajanposted 12 years ago

I too volunteer.

C.V.

24. andromida profile image55
      andromidaposted 12 years ago

Good luck with the test.I support the idea of sub-domain based on author's name, not the topical sub-domains.

25. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

CAn anyone explain to me why there is a benefit to being in a hubpage sub domain as opposed yo your own website?

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Benefits? Well, there's always that warm, fuzzy feeling you get when you know you've contributed to the teams' paychecks. smile

I can't see any benefit when structured by author (mark+ewbie.hubpages.com) rather than topic (humor.hubpages.com).

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
          CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes- that's the one, the warm fuzzy feelin'
          i am quite disappointed as I thought Mark was the guy to write a hub explaining this and the +1 thingummy stuff. I mean I have seen +1 on invites so maybe ?

2. Mutiny92 profile image63
          Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

unless that splits the Panda penalty by subdomain.  So if there is sub-par content on your subdomain, then only that subdomain would get penalized?  Pure speculation on my part....

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my thinking as well.  My content is a mix of rubbish, barely a niche in sight.  So authors who stay in a niche might be better?  But then my query is - why not just put that content on your own site?
            My other query is... what does this mean for the main HP site?  That there is no recovery just around the corner?  That it is not possible or practical to weed it sufficiently?  Or that the content model is finished?
            Or non of the above?
            Just looking for some straight answers really.  Had three months of fluffy there's no problem, it will be all right and the odd Hubber saying "what's the problem".
            Had enough.

1. lrohner profile image68
              lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to say I agree with you, Mark. It's basically gonna become Blogger or Wordpress.com, only with tons and tons of rules and less functionality and earning potential than they have. smile

Now, if they had decided to use topics for subdomains, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
                Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought a while back.  Niche quality sites using the best content from HP.  Raises a few questions though.
                Anyway, I'm just going to get on with blogging for a while and see how it goes.  I've done 140 pages on here in seven months, I can give Blogger a bit of a go too.

26. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I would be happy to volunteer.  It sounds like fun.  :-)

27. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

Considering I don't make much income from Hubpages, I would be willing to be a part of this experiment.  I can take a hit in traffic and it won't make a difference to me.  Especially if this test goes on in the very near future (around X-mas time I tend to need HubPages a little more).

28. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

I would've preferred this to be done by topic rather than by author name, but I'm willing to give it a try.

1. Anamika S profile image69
        Anamika Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my thoughts.

1. Peggy W profile image96
          Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And mine.  Makes sense to do it by topic like travel, cooking, electronics, etc.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
            Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem with subdomains-by-topic is that a topic being contributed to by lots of different people might have low-quality content.

That is the same problem with HubPages as a whole in Google's eyes: there is a lot of content it considers low-quality, and the presence of low-quality content is affecting traffic to all Hubs, even the high-quality ones.

If you have a subdomain under which you only have your own Hubs, then you can be sure that all the content is top-notch. smile

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This makes altogether too much sense to me.  And it won't be "might" have low quality content; it is "will" have such.  We all see that already.

All it needs now is a sub-sub-domain for each topic that each hubber writes on.  Say perhaps a cool half million. smile

With this kind of thinking we could well find authors deleting their own (perceived) lower quality work.  To quickly republish it on a new account "just in case".

I don't think having topic-focused subdomains will be necessary. Your Hubs will still be linked to from our Topics pages, and similar Hubs from established Hubbers will be interlinked to each other ("Related Hubs").

1. wilderness profile image96
                  wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Jason - that particular comment was not meant to be taken seriously. 

This whole thing just makes altogether too much sense to me.  If a sub-domain will take my work away to any degree from the junk on HP it would be wonderful.  Let it stand or fall on its own accord, not because it is associated with tens of thousands of other good OR bad hubs.

I would expect it to stand well (don't we all!big_smile) but if it falls, so be it.  It just means I have work to do.  Either in learning to write or in learning to write on the internet.

Yes, that's exactly it. It'll put each user in charge of making sure their own content is up to snuff. smile

29. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 12 years ago

Paul - I don't want to volunteer my primary account, but you can have one of my secondary accounts for the test.

30. LeanMan profile image79
      LeanManposted 12 years ago

I think I would be happy to give it a try, but would like the opportunity to give a little more thought to the subdomain name..

Will we be able to select hubs to move and split our account?

Is the suggestion to go by author because google want it that way for their own perverse unhelpful (to us) reasons, would there actually be better "seo" benefit by subject/topic?

31. Just Ask Susan profile image89
      Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

I'll volunteer.

32. Karanda profile image78
      Karandaposted 12 years ago

By all means, use me as a guinea pig. After six months of putting in the effort with my Hubs, the Panda struck. I have been struggling for Google traffic ever since. I'm willing to try anything you might see as beneficial to the site and individual authors.

33. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

I'm not ready to gamble with this main profile quite yet but you are welcome to use one of my smaller profiles:

Greenthumblady
      TheVacationLady

They're both niche sites. 

Thanks! smile

34. nanospeck profile image61
      nanospeckposted 12 years ago

Hey,

My username is : nanospeck . I would love to be a part of this change and in necessary case am ready to offer any kind of programming assistance that could help the entire process.

Count me in.

Akhil

35. amy jane profile image70
      amy janeposted 12 years ago

I'm happy to participate in the test. smile

36. psf profile image69
      psfposted 12 years ago

I would like to volunteer for sub domain test.

thanks

37. profile image0
      devsirposted 12 years ago

I am also in queue

38. cocopreme profile image88
      cocopremeposted 12 years ago

I am willing to be part of the test.  Before Panda, my hits were growing.  Since Panda, my hits are slowly dwindling daily.  A change wouldn't hurt me either way.

This username (cocopreme) is fine to use.

39. Shelly McRae profile image68
      Shelly McRaeposted 12 years ago

I volunteer for this project as well. It sounds like a positive approach to the Panda issue.

40. sagebrush_mama profile image61
      sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years ago

I'm willing to volunteer.

41. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 12 years ago

I would like to volunteer if you are still looking for test hubs...

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

42. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 12 years ago

Hmmm.
      I don't know.
      I'm so tired of being pandared and battered.
      I don't know if i can take anymore chances.

43. Jerilee Wei profile image68
      Jerilee Weiposted 12 years ago

I'll volunteer sheerly out of curiosity.

44. profile image0
      janellelkposted 12 years ago

Me too!  I'm so curious.  I'll volunteer.  smile

45. Eleanor's Words profile image94
      Eleanor's Wordsposted 12 years ago

I would like to volunteer for the test, if my hubs are suitable.

46. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

I'm interested if I meet the standards.  big_smile

47. MPG Narratives profile image60
      MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

I'll help out if you still need volunteers.

48. GoingOnline profile image60
      GoingOnlineposted 12 years ago

Can I bet a guinea pig for this?
      Looks like hubpages is recovering though, I see more results on search results than I used to smile

49. prairieprincess profile image92
      prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

I would definitely be interested in volunteering, if you would have me!

50. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years ago

I would be happy to be your guinea pig.

Would this have an negative impact on my earnings? Would I still benefit from having my articles on HubPages? Would my content be something like:

melbel.hubpages.com/hub/ThisIsAHub

If so, would there be a redirect?

1. profile image0
        4youreyesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would be interested in the test program. Thanks !

2. brandonhart100 profile image76
        brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is going to be a 301 redirect

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)