Hubbers Gone?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (41 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of hubbers have disappeared from the forums. I don't see certain hubbers like I did months ago. And it seems like the activity is less or something.

Like I remember ryankett and Pcunix to name a few.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hubbers come and hubbers go.. Tantrum was once a permanent fixture here, but audios.. and Sa Toya.. and.. the list goes on.  It's just life.

2. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Yea there are times when I am gone for months. Things happen in our personal lives.

David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was gone for a long time, sort of because of lack of motivation and college, but I am back.

2. profile image0
      Alinsgirl91011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree things happen in our personal life that draws us away from what we seek pleasure in, I can say I am guility of that, absent for almost 6 months I am back and now more focused, writing is something I wish to do fulltime at  some point in my life.

3. profile image0
    adeaugustusposted 12 years ago

Yes. I have noticed that some old hubbers are no longer on the website, because there are hubbers that i used to read their article even before i became a hubpages member, but when i joined, i saw that they have not been active for a very long time, and recently people are moving away from hubpages, after the recent and famous google panda that hit, According to stat. Hubpages has it's own portion larger than other websites, but it's great to see things change now, traffick is picking up again.

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

I don't post here anywhere like as often as I used to. I have been pursuing visual arts endeavours on sites like DeviantArt and Zazzle as well as just creating new art. I find it a lot more satisfying then arguing over the existence of God or over how much Obama sucks and if he sucks more or less then other politicians. I do check the forums regularly enough but don't feel the need to get into the conversations as much as I used to. If I am really bored or kicking my heals (not really feeling like doing anything) I might come have a look for an argument or discussion to be entertained with but mostly the arguments are all the same and just repeat over and over again anyway so I just read and laugh and avoid commenting tongue

5. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 12 years ago

Yeah, I'm not here anymore, like right now.  I thought I was here briefly, but I mistook someone else for myself.

6. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

All the professional hubbers have gone as they cannot any longer spin up a web of articles that boost themselves.  This form of net marketing that takes advantage of the way Google works can be seen in a big site and so is not a viable option - and spider-webbing articles still produces results as long as it is not easily spotted by Google.  Hence some of the 'big' names have gone, also many less noticeable people who objected to the strange and devious manner that HP reacted to the Panda issue, such as the unwarned unpublishing of hubs with no warning, along with the often vague and more or less insulting reasons for doing so, and the confusion over what is and is not allowed that rolled itself out bit by bit resulting in many people having to adjust their hubs several times.  Apart from that most things are still the same and it all seems to be stuttering back to life.

7. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

I was a regular poster on the forums back when it was fun. We used to totally blow em away. But I don't see many fun threads anymore. I've tried, but it seems nobody gets it anymore.  Those folks don't post much here anymore:  Blond Poet, Glass Spider, Hokey, Cagsil......the list goes on.   It seems everyone is into  bashing what you believe according to your spiritual ideas.  Then there's the liberals and conservatives bashing, finger pointing, blah blah blah  words being tossed around like a volley ball, meaning nothing.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Remember Tantrum? Those were some crazy days, too much time on some people's hands.. I've cut back on forum time simply because it can be a huge waste of otherwise productive time doing things like, work and life! big_smile

Cags is still here, he's on another forum ban. lol He'll be back, I'm sure.

1. donotfear profile image84
        donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cags on a forum ban?  What happened this time?  Good grief.

oh, who knows. He got banned the day HP posted the Hubbie awards! lol Maddie gave him the award for Most Likely To Be Banned. lol 
          He still posts on the feed sometimes. That's how I found out.

Lisa, reading this made me laugh out loud. Tantrum was still here during all of that. That was some of the most bizarre forum activity. We had our own forum sitcoms!
          I also remember controversial threads where people would post this little guy,  http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif, ready to settle in for some entertainment. lol

I wonder how Tantrum is doing. She was a very talented poet. And knew everything going on in the forums. One thing for sure, you can't take the forums too seriously, or they're no fun.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90

Tantrum was the first person I met on here. I remember asking a silly question and she came back with her claws outstretched..  I still have the marks on my back to prove it!  <sighs> I miss her. big_smile

8. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

I don't post as much in the forums as I used to.  I've moved and my lifestyle is very different from what it was.  I have less time (and less interest) to spend online and in following the forums.  I'm hoping to spend more time online this winter.  I haven't written a hub in what seems like forever!

9. Ladybird33 profile image68
    Ladybird33posted 12 years ago

I have taken a little rest from the forums as well, got tired of the "big ole" hubbers that have all that experience and coming in here and being just, you know, opinoinated, judgemental or making some suggestion that was rather, let's be frank, rude.  As a newbie, many moons ago smile those were they people that laughed at me for not know everything about hubpages, but I was WORKING and trying to write on the side.  So my long winded comment means that I love the laughts by don't really miss the judgemental hubbers that felt as if they owned this place.  Okay, I got that off my chest and I feel much better smile  Thank you.

I think many of us felt/feel the same way.

ok, off for now ~ enjoy the day hubbers.

1. Ladybird33 profile image68
        Ladybird33posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you wink

1. profile image0
          Alinsgirl91011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know I feel that way, and at times still do being a newbie myslef.... nice to see others are feeling the same way

10. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I've been here for a while and I've seen the same thing happen over and over. People come, they find a little knot of people who are in some phase of the "first year honeymoon" as I will call it, which includes forum time. They meet, they interact, they respond to every little smilie and quip each other make, and it's rather a euporhic, almost summer-camp type feel. Then, real life hits, something else takes their time as the newness wears off, or they begin to realize that there's only so much "lol"-ing you can do before it becomes repetitive. From there, you start to recognize that 99.9% of the forum stuff is:

1. God __________
    2. No God ________
    3. Liberals _______
    4. Conservatives _________
    5. _______ (go look at my hub)
    6. ________ Hubpages __________s

That's it. Eventually, if you are the type of person (like myself) who enjoys chatting with people from time to time, you come back by a few times a week and scan topics for something that sounds like it might have promise (or even something just written by someone you know is not typically prone to items 1 through 6) and have a bit of fun for a while.

They cycle repeats, with new "classes" starting every 8 months or so.

My take anyway.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90

...it's like a bad version of HubPages MadLibs right? big_smile

David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point, I do see a lot of topics about the existence of god and poltical related stuff e.i. rants on Obama.

11. whiteorchids profile image60
    whiteorchidsposted 12 years ago

We haven't all disappeared we have just been busy. smile But they do appear to be not as active. smile

12. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 12 years ago

I have been missing a while since Panda, well when I say missing I mean writing on my own sites. For me it was a natural progression onto my own sites, I haven't left Hubpages; in fact I visit everyday but just got bored reading about the subjects above (god, no god etc...) in the forums.

I still have a number of new hubs in the editing stages and will finish them, I will still participate in the forums when there is something interesting too discuss but refuse to waste my energy on repetitive threads designed to provoke or offend?

That said it does feel nice posting in the forum again.

Regards

Aiden

13. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Not that I take the following lightly, but I do like a good mini-series/mini-drama like the one that's been playing out in the famous subdomain thread (with over 1800 posts).  So I come to see what the latest installment is, and then while I'm here I look around for anything else interesting (or not interesting but that catches my eye anyway).  For the person who's either bored or in need of break from more serious stuff, there's always going to that count-to-a-million thread (or whatever it is) and weighing in.  For quite awhile now, the days of the Friday-night forum parties (where people posted pictures of party food and drinks and got really silly) are no longer.  Something else that doesn't show up any longer:  Weekend brawls between a couple of trolls and and a person or two who've been drinking more than tea or coffee.  Oh - and the regularly occurring wars between "the money Hubbers" and "the writing Hubbers".  lol  (I do seem to sense a gathering storm on that subdomain thread, though.)

Of course, a lot of what was going on for quite awhile on here was sometimes one person fighting with his/her own eleven "alter-egos" (which is, in itself, a kind of entertaining concept when you're in the mood to see the absurdity of it all) (OK, maybe I exaggerate a little with that eleven thing, but only a little (maybe).  I don't care...   It's still more entertaining (sometimes) than, say, watching TV when you want to take a break from serious endeavors (even if only for a few minutes at a time sometimes).

1. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yeah...who could forget the Captain... tongue   My husband and I spent so much time cracking up over his outrageous-ness...He drove folks nuts, but we loved him anyway... lol I think he got a permanent ban, though, didn't he?

At least we can still keep up with him on Facebook... smile

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know.  I was kind of reluctant to have to much exchange with him because things could turn weird "on a dime".   lol  I wouldn't be surprised if he's on here as someone else somehow - but maybe behaving.  He kept it lively, though.  So did Tantrum.  (Any chance they're the same person???   lol )   What cracked me up once was someone posting a link to another site.  When you went to it, it was all the usual people from here, brawling there instead!   lol

Oh...  You know what we haven't had in the recent past?  Alter-ego-outing threads.   smile  I always liked those, even if they were enough to make a person completely paranoid about everyone on here.   smile

Oh, we hardly ever had any interaction on the forums with him, when he was on a roll--we just loved reading what was going on between him and everyone else, lol.

He came off very harsh at times on the forums, but my husband and I talk to him on Facebook, and he is always as nice as can be to us, so I imagine it's possible that he could be on here, being polite... But, somehow I just don't think he could hold himself back for long, lol!  lol

Yeah, I like the alter-ego outings, too, 'cause I can never figure them out on my own!  lol

I've got some suspicions about a Hubber or two (or three) on here, but I"m not the type who would a) create a thread about someone else, or b) risk making myself look silly if I were wrong.   big_smile

(Afterthought:   Hey!  Any chance you're you-know-who????   hmm  )  (I'm thinking you seem awfully buddy/buddy with him.....     big_smile)

lol...I have never once been right about an alter-ego, so I couldn't do it, either, haha.

14. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I think the forums can be a valuable source of information.  Not the dry nature of a technical hub on how to make big bucks (yeah right) but little snippets or clues.

For example, I learnt about white space from Pcunix on here. It hadn't occurred to me before, and I'm not into the idea of spending hours reading tutorials.

RSS (before it fell out of fashion), Groups, Summaries - these tips and many others for me came from forum chatter.

In addition, the forums are the place to get noticed.  OK, we know that Hubber traffic is worth nothing in financial terms, but it is very important for feedback.  Do people read what you do, do they like it, do they follow you?  If nothing else, these are confidence votes and when starting out baring your soul as a writer (or just doing toilet gags) - confidence is important.

Back on topic. Where did they go?  As Shadesbreath said, people move on.  Probably as many reasons as there are missing Hubbers, although the Panda debacle and HP response would be high up the list for now.

I actually come to the forums because sometimes I'll see a discussion (or more often, an idea that irks the heck out of me), and I'll get fired up to write something.  Sometimes it's a Hub.  Sometimes it's writing I'll do something else with.  Also, as you said, there's things to learn sometimes.  And, I find it helps me feel more"informed" about the overall goings-on of the site.  So, those are the useful reasons to hang out here. 

Then again, I have times when I want to skim a few minutes off serious work; or else times when I'm too tired to work and just want some "down time", I come to the forums because I'm already familiar with them and don't "socialize" on the Internet anywhere else.  So for me, the forums are kind of like an all-purpose and handy thing on this site.  I leave a window up while I'm doing my "day-job" work (not a 9-5 situation, of course), pop on or off "whenever".  Last night I was all "wired up" because of the hurricane in the area; so since getting anything serious done wasn't going to happen anyway, I came here and "did whatever".  I did like it when it was more bizarre than it now is.

My favorite brawl (and I've mentioned this one more than once) was a weekend-long brawl involving lots of people ganging up on a troll.  People from different time zones across the world were essentially taking shifts, as people from other time zones would say they had to go sleep.   I mean - I went to bed Saturday night (after watching this thing escalate for hours, and after feeling like I was going to faint from laughing so hard); and when I got up Sunday morning and looked, it was still going on.   smile  It was all so stupid, and I don't know why it struck me so funny (or as being so memorable) - maybe just the bizarreness of it all, I guess.  smile

15. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 12 years ago

Lots of them are gone. I have a hub about hubbers I love and when I looked at it, almost 90% I don't see around anymore.

But I have to say, threads and questions like these more often than not bring out some of the old hubbers smile. It''s great to see you guys and gals! I miss the old days sad.

Yeah, when I first joined, my husband Tom would be on here all the time, joking around with Charlie(Walrus), Laughing Mom, Candie, Goldentoad, and so many others...now most of these aren't even here anymore...and I miss them. sad

16. profile image0
    Egapposted 12 years ago

Egap Here! I have noticed that a well respected hubber by the name of Kowality is no longer here. Has anyone wondered why? He was deleted because some of his articles did not meet someones approval. He worked hard for 23 months writing great articles and most of his stuff was hitting the first page on the search engines. His income was around $400.00/month but Hubpages decided to cut this off after almost 2 hard years of work. Why couldn't the jerks just ask him to eliminate the problem articles and leave him with the ones that were ranking great and making money. This is plain and simple theft.You see they are giving us subdomains but I have no trust in hubpages moderators because if they want to delete your account...they will...no questions asked.

Don't think that you are something special. Piss off the wrong person and you will feel what its like to have things taken away from you Without any recourse. It may not happen here but most of you have already experienced the helplessness of being jacked around. Hubpages can take their so called subdomains and shove them.Go ahead and delete my account also. It's not worth anything to hubpages anyways. I will never promote hubpages. You wonder where some of the people have gone? Some crazy moderator has deleted them.

You are better off building an awesome site and building pages onto that site like I have. Atleast some putz can't take away your hard work because they are mad about only making 8 bucks an hour.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Egap, are you Kowality, or just really upset that they got deleted?  Seems as if you are awfully upset about it.  If you are Kowality, just say so, explain what happened, and maybe you could find out why, instead of making threats.

17. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I find it interesting (in a perplexing sort of way) that someone would care who leaves HubPages.  After all, it's a sure bet that none of them care who stayed.

I don't really care who leaves or stays.  Heck, I don't even care all that much if I leave or stay.  hmm  I do find it kind of fun to observe some of the comings and goings with others who have observed the same thing.   smile  It's just kind of entertaining to do that every once in awhile, I guess.  smile

I'm with you--obviously, it's not the be-all and/or end-all of our day, it's just something to talk about when you're not doing anything else! lol

And as far as whether the ones left care about the ones who stayed, well, it's just silly to say that they don't...how do you know?

I still keep in touch with many of the ones who have left--I KNOW that they cared...just because we don't meet in person doesn't mean you can't have a friendship with people online, and kinda grow attached to them. smile

18. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years ago

There are a lot of Hubbers I haven't heard from in a long time. I have been gone for a long time, as well, though.  Makes you wonder, sometimes, though.  Where did they go? 

On the topic of The Captain, though...all I gotta say is he may have been harsh from time to time, but he was amusing.

He certainly seemed like one of the busier Hubbers, I have to say.   big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)