How long did your plunge last?

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 167 discussions (703 posts)
  1. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

I was one of the October 13 plungers, and my traffic is starting to recover. I had about 800 views/day from all hubs and plunged to 250/day. Now I'm up to about 400/day, so there has been some recovery.

Right now, HP is my sole source of online income. I do have a non-monetized blog (which will remain non-monetized), but perhaps a wordpress site would be a good idea (keeping eggs in separate baskets). I only have one HP subdomain at the moment, too, which might be hurting me. Too many different topics under one subdomain...

2. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 12 years ago

I'm pretty new to Hubpages and was making next to nothing in Aug.  Then at around Sept 6, my earnings doubled and so did my views.  I dipped again at the beginning of Oct.  But about Oct 8 I doubled my views/earning again.  I have now got about 450 views a day--which is a lot for me, since my total views are about 15,000.  Will it last?  Who knows?  I actually write copy for companies, so I know all about keywords but I don't pay attention to that in my hubs.  I just write what I'm interested in publishing.  I do write on a strange mix of things from history to kids crafts.

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

The video that I linked above (and here) was designed to answer the question, What steps can I take to diagnose a drop in ranking?

It is only six minutes long, so it doesn't take any real time to watch.

Basically, Matt Cutts says:

1) check site:mydomain.com to see whether you are completely not showing up in Google or just some parts of your site are not showing up (and to see whether you are partially indexed); if you don't see a snippet, maybe you had a robots.txt that blocked G from crawling, so they might see a reference to that page, but G wasn't able to actually crawl it or fetch it; it may also show a warning in search results if G thinks you've been hacked or have malware, and  that could of course lead to a drop in traffic (if people see the warning and decide not to go to the presumably hacked site);

2) check the Webmaster Console; these days, G is now (in the last 6 mo.) listing more messages than before to provide detailed information about what they see, and what may be wrong - things they think are violations of their guidelines, not just Hidden Text, Park Domains, and Doorway Pages; also, go to the Webmaster Forum, because there are many very helpful users there (he says);

3) determine whether the problem is affecting your site only, which would indicate that G thought it violated guidelines in some way, or it could mean that there is a server-related issue; it could also mean an algorithmic change; if the problem affects a bunch of people, it's more likely due to the algorithm;

4) check yourself in other search engines; if they're also not showing you, that's an indication that the problem is on your side (maybe failed to remove a robots.txt or a No Index, after deploying a test server - whatever that means sad);

5) in the Webmaster Console, use "fetch as a Googlebot"; it should show you how G sees your page; you may see that someone has hacked it, has added a No Index tag or a "rel canonical" that points to a hacker's page; it can also show if, perhaps, you were trying to use cloaking (?) and did it wrong, ending up so that the user sees content, but the Googlebot sees an empty page;

6) ask if you made any changes to your site or page around the same time as the traffic drop (revamped design, host name, DNS?); if so, it may be that search engines are not able to crawl it and figure things out;

7) after checking these things, determine whether you should file a Reconsideration Request; that will let you know whether they have taken manual action on your site; Matt says they are now (in the past six months or so) providing more detailed information in their responses to Reconsideration Requests.

In the video, at this point, he says "you might not be ranking where you want, but at least you know that it's an algorithmic issue and so you can concentrate on what different things might be triggering from an algorithmic standpoint."  On Google-Plus, I responded to this statement with "How does that help?  How does knowing that it could be one or more of 200 different factors help to figure out what to change?" (paraphrasing myself)

As I stated above, I don't really understand a lot of the things I have listed here; I simply jotted notes or transcribed what Matt says.  But I wanted to pass this along for anyone that it could help.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this. I couldn't watch the video due to bandwidth restrictions. I actually DO understand most of this, and it doesn't refer to my subdomain.

There is no rhyme nor reason why I have been sandboxed.

I suspect I am not alone in this.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am certain that you are not alone.  There was one response to the video on Google-Plus from a man who is basically facing ruin as a result of this.  I plussed his post and another similar one.  I don't know whether Matt Cutts himself ever reads the comments, or if he has someone who will do it for him, but I really, really hope someone gives them at least a smidgen of attention.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your suspicions are well based, Izzy.  "Awkwardly worded when read aloud" but well based just the same!  lol  "Misery loves company," as the old saying goes, but I never believed all of the old adages.  It's tough, ain't it?   smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

heyyy, mine might read OK or otherwise, but yours sound AWKWARD when read aloud. OK?

Kiddin'

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

I consider that an honor coming from you. Izzy!  smile   Are you still in the plunge or spiking?  Sounds like some sort of sports action, doesn't it?  I never realized writing could be so hard.  I wonder what Mark Twain would have said about Google?

1. IzzyM profile image87

I plunged again.

I was down from 4000 to 1000. Now I am lucky if I get 500. Guess it could be worse, but I don't see how.

I'm not earning anything now, really.

I got a dollar click on adsense the other day, but it didn't come from HP.

3. toygurus profile image57
        toygurusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really can't believe this "awkward" writing style is being thrown around. Google really can't read the content on the page. I have seen plenty of content ranking on google that made no sense. In fact, Matt Cutts said in one of the webmaster videos that spelling and grammar aren't a ranking factor. So we should just put that aside. Nobody should be making up theories unless they can substantiate it from something google has said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoFf6Kn4K98

They have to look at measurements to determine quality. For example, they look at how long people spend on the page. They can see how long the page is. They can measure how many times a word appears on the page. Do users push the back button right away? Did users push the facebook like button or the +1 button? Another thing they are looking at is the ad to content ratio.

Now they are incorporating user feedback from Chrome into the rankings. They have stated that they really don't want ads above the fold.

This what Google wants on their search engine whether we agree with it or not. I really hope that we recover but I am not going to be waiting around to find out when google is giving my hubpages 7 views a day. If my hubs recover that's great.

1. IzzyM profile image87

The "readability" factor came from our very own pet CEO here on HP who for some reason wanted to read hubs aloud.

Anyway, no law against it.

Google can't read, never could, and the day a search engine learns how to, half the web will be gone.

Time on page thing is confusing me. I always used to have a bounce rate of just under 80% and just before the 13th it rose to 95% which I thought odd at the time. and has now settled back to 82%, which is still high.

Now a high bounce rate could indicate that my pages are not what the reader is looking for, and this could be my fault for not writing what they want to read, but equally it could be Google's fault for sending the wrong traffic.

I write. It is their job to fix their search engine so that they match up what I write with what people search for.

It worked quite well before they broke it.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bounce rate is the percentage of single page visitors that leave from their entrance page.

When our searcher comes to a hub instead of a landing page, s/he is looking for specific information and probably won't go anywhere else.  Thus most Hp visitors are going to bounce right back off.  If it's through an ad all to the good, but they're still going to bounce.

It is only those visitors that move on to another page that don't bounce.  To do that we have to offer them something else of interest.  It might be another hub on the same subject, but more it is more likely we have to pique their interest in a new subject - not so easy.

For multi-page sites, a low bounce rate makes sense; visitors hit on the landing page and move on to other pages to actually find what they want.  We don't have such a thing and a high bounce rate is inevitable.  I don't think 82% is anything to worry about.

Time on page is another matter entirely and something we want to maximize.  Just wrote a hub on it if you're interested.

Or so I see it.

4. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

With regards to the people who are in the plunge, is it all of your hubs getting little traffic...or are you just suffering monetary losses from certain hubs that used to perform well? A couple of my hubs that used to earn have lost a lot of traffic but the main one still holds its high rank in Google. I do agree that we need to get back to PrePanda for the sites overall traffic

All of my hubs lost Google traffic at once Aug 10th.  Even the previously highest trafficked hubs get very little Google traffic now.  At least an 80% loss of traffic and earnings for me.  No spikes before or after.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Hell no! 95% of my hubs see NO traffic whatsoever. A handful held on to some traffic, nowhere neat their potential, but there we go.

I've been here for too long now. My heart is broken and can't be mended. Google is now officially my EX.

I'm never going out with him again.

1. toygurus profile image57

IzzyM,
        I think it's more a problem of hubpages than google. If you don't have your websites ranking now you might miss the Christmas season.Websites take a long time to rank on Google. Hubpages might come back but with the surges and plunges, it is kind of not that reliable. One of my accounts' pages suddenly reappeared on the first page after 2 months  of receiving not a trickle of google traffic but I don't know how long that's going to last. You might want to try wizzley. Maybe put up one or two articles and see if works for you. It kinda works like hubpages before panda, at least for me.

3. Bendo13 profile image77
      Bendo13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are only a couple out of my 530+ hubs that get maybe 20 views a day on the regular... the rest I'm lucky to get a hit a day and that's from the people that feel like checking page 2 or 3 of Google, or from other hubbers

5. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

Sad, IzzyM. That doesn't give much hope for a pretty new hubber from an "older" hubber with nearly 500 hubs!!! :-(

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

After two days of slightly increased traffic, mine seems to be plunging farther.  The abyss awaits. sad

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

sorry, SirDent!   Views on one of my best hubs just plunged from 300+ to 44 just now, I almost screamed in horror.  BUT when I looked further down, a hub that was not getting much traffic normally, shot up to 304.  Different topics!... so weird!

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

None of mine are getting much at all.  At this time I am showing 124 views in the last 24 hours.  Some of those are on hubs I haven't published yet but have been creating.

Did you read your hubs aloud, Dent?  lol

1. profile image0

Actually I have done that before.  Problem is, the way I speak will be different than most other people because of my, I mean their, accent.  tongue

of course! lol

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Just joking, Dent!  smile

1. profile image0

Yes I know.  I do read my poems aloud to myself to see how they sound before I publish them.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Mine is holding at low, but I think I am going to see another big drop tomorrow as I have noticed a downwards shift in keywords.

Not bothered! Am not earning now, and they can't put me into minus figures so it can't get any worse.

Make sure when you are checking your traffic you see how much traffic google is sending you. Hubpages counts traffic when you visit your own hub or people on hubpages visit your hubs. So click on traffic sources and see how much traffic google.com is sending you.

1. profile image0

I hate to even look at my adsense account page.  It shows 52 views today so far.

2. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Look on the bright side SirDent - its a pretty good crowd down in the abyss so at least we will have a good party. Vodka tonic anyone?

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bit early for me!

1. CMHypno profile image82

The sun will be over the yardarm in a few hours!  How about a nice cuppa instead?  Scone, jam and cream?

7. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

Amen to that last part, Izzy!

8. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

The greatest plunge of all - This is what my hubs look like

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-q8upjOy4tOc/TqAWbxdmoMI/AAAAAAAAAPk/zdcqWrNQYHY/h301/BoySkateboardRamp%2Bcopy.jpg

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
      Hmrjmr1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me 2

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That looks like a very exhilarating plunge- one I would not dare to take.

9. Ms Chievous profile image65
    Ms Chievousposted 12 years ago

Something happened!  I woke up this morning and my page views have doubled.  They are about where they were pre-panda.  I would like to think my backlinking for the last couple of weeks is the cause.  However the hubs that are getting the red arrows are not the ones I worked on.   I guess we will see how long this lasts!  Fingers crossed!

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My best hub has moved from 2nd to first in Google so traffic should rise! lets see in deed

2. Rosie2010 profile image68

good for you, Ms Chievous!  What a great way to start the day.  My traffic is still holding, but with erratic traffic these days, I'm also keeping my fingers crossed.

@ Richieb, nice to know.. keep us posted.

3. sagebrush_mama profile image59
      sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine are about half of pre-panda this morning, but that's about double what I've been seeing.  A blog that dropped seems to be back today, too.  We'll see if it lasts.

1. sagebrush_mama profile image59
        sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aaaack...post-panda...not enough coffee...half of my PostPanda views...still, an improvement.

4. profile image0

Why didn't you grab mine and take them along with you? 

Congrats!!!!!!  I suspect mine will make it out eventually.

1. Ms Chievous profile image65
        Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why I should have!  Considering we are almost neighbors!  Hang in there. you will have your day too!  smile

10. profile image0

Three red arrows today.  An overall improvement, though slight.  Of course the weekend is coming and traffic will . . .

11. leahlefler profile image95

I plunged on October 13 and it just gets worse and worse. Back down to 25% of my normal views, and blue arrows everywhere. I have no idea why I have been sand boxed - most of my hubs are informational and fairly detailed. I do have a few "product" driven hubs with amazon and ebay hubs - maybe I should eliminate every single ebay and amazon sale module and see what happens...

Welcome to the plungers, sorry to see you here. i have taken loads of Amazon capsules and refrained from E bay and have not fallen further. I am allowing time and have opened a second account - until we know what is causing it there is little we can do- I think

2. profile image0

Caseworker is right.  I removed all Amazon links and RSS feeds from my hubs after the plunges on Sept. 6 and it didn't help.  The best thing to do that I know of is wait it out.

I think google is rotating traffic to different hubbers. I'm pretty convinced. When somebody plunges another one rises. That is what I am noticing with the various niche accounts I have. It doesn't seem to do them all at the same time. However, on certain dates some of my accounts are sandboxed while other accounts are pulled out of the sandbox.

@Sirdent I am pretty sure your traffic will rise in a few short days. Also when you remove the Amazon links Google doesn't check your page daily. In fact, that is why panda is so hard to get around. The google bot takes about a month to revisit your page.

The real question is how the people who have never been on the roller coaster ride manage to keep a steady flow of traffic. I hope someone can crack that.

4. cardelean profile image86
      cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am still sticking with what I emailed you the other day Leah.  I also saw a dip in my traffic again today.  I'm hoping that it is just a Friday/weekend thing.  I'm waiting it out to see if it goes up on Monday.  Even though the last "plunge" in Aug. just barely affected me, I think it actually affected me with the same ratio, I just wasn't getting as many views back then.  When I went back and looked at the pattern last time, this is exactly what happened.  I increased a bit, dropped again a bit, then rose with a few minor dips and then kept increasing to my best levels.  The whole thing leveled out and rose within and 10-14 days so I'm hoping it's still just adjusting.  Hang in there, you're not alone.

leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm very hopeful that the rankings just need time to "settle" a bit - though I wonder if anything will truly ever "settle" if the Panda is run with varying effect every month. I had been fairly stable from August-September, then a big increase in views in September-October. Now I'm back down to the low numbers. My weekends are always lower than the rest of the week, though, so I'm ignoring the numbers until Monday. smile

12. Ms Chievous profile image65

Day two:  Still over 800 views.  The last few months weekends have been bringing me 260 views...I am hopeful..

13. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

My no. 2 account plunged to the very depths on August 10th and was getting about 5 - 10 views a day. A couple of days ago it went up to 50 - 60 views per day. The only thing I did during the plunge was take down eight of its 72 hubs and publish them elsewhere.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can I ask if there was anything about those hubs you removed that might have annoyed Google?

Or do you think it was nothing to do with anything?

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I reckon it was nothing to do with anything.

The hubs in my second account are all sales hubs, and there's nothing about the ones I took down that was any "worse" than the ones that remain, if you get my drift.

Based on the people who have reported plunges I can't see any pattern to who got slapped and who didn't. Either there genuinely isn't a pattern/reason, or if there is, finding what it is would need a huge "sample size" of several hundred hub accounts to enable a meaningful comparison of plungers with non plungers. Reading twenty hubbers' hubs and making conclusions based on those isn't going to work.

Thanks.  It was just a hope that's all.

The shame is that HP have access to masses of data, and could maybe form some reasonable judgements based on that.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I thought they'd worked it out. It's the "readability" factor.

They are probably right. You need to read mine with a Scottish accent to understand it. (think of Mel Gibson in Braveheart - (he was only acting), or think of Sean Connery even!)

Mine read great if those guys read it aloud!

Hmmm.  Let's ignore that theory.

What they do have is time on page, Amazon ads, keyword ratios, duplicate info, number of links, and so on.  I am not saying any of these apply.

The Panda slap might be entirely random or it might be possible to analyse plungers against non plungers. 

Presumably Google do it - that's how they do their algorithm thing.

My guess would be that an SEO expert with access to HP data could make an informed judgement.

I don't see this as gaming the system - I think Panda is moving us beyond gaming.  But I do see it as doing what Google should do anyway - and that is give people an idea as to why their content deserves to be punished.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I certainly agree; google should be able to tell us why Panda doesn't like us.  The problem is two-fold - how to tell millions of writers what is wrong on an individual basis and how to keep that information from being used to game the system.

The second is probably more difficult; I certainly can't imagine a good answer that couldn't be used to find loopholes in Panda.

14. cameciob profile image81
    cameciobposted 12 years ago

My stats raised today at 90 views, a number I haven't seen since september 6th. I'm kinda happy ...would it last?

15. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Removing Amazon capsules, RSS feeds, possible keywords, etc. hasn't affected my traffic in the least. Perhaps it's my southern accent when my hubs are read aloud?lol

16. cameciob profile image81

176 views as right now...it's a miracle

AT 16:30 GMT i was on 60 views
      AT 17;30 GMT i am on 126 views
      this figure has not been seen in a month, 60 views in one hour, I am not sure I have ever seen that apart from the Royal Wedding.
      What is Google up to ? I dont trust it! However it is 30 days from my penalty. I am wondering whether they are doing a trial to see if my stuff is any better!
      A roller coaster ride

I'm glad for you guys.  Mine is going the opposite.

Having read your post Case1worker I checked my stats and miraculously they have gone up 147 since this mornings puny 100.  Saturday is always my worst traffic day and it never goes up like this.  Maybe the Google roller coaster has shot through the water hazard at the bottom and we are climbing again? Better stay strapped in though - this trip is a wild one!

17. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

My views today is dropping by the minute.  I'm hoping it is just because it is Saturday, my lowest traffic day.  Friday traffic is down by 200+ views compared to Thursday.  This morning when I logged in at 9am, my traffic was down by another 100+ views, and by noon I had lost another hundred. sad

When I lost mine it went in 24 hours- google just stopped sending readers and then the next day it sent 5 or 6 until yesterday when it sent 20. I am sorry you are going down - the only advice I can give is hang on in there. I think I will log out and come back as I cant keep my eyes off my stats in case they change ( hopefully upwards)

yes, me too.. I keep on checking my account.  I better go grocery shopping and pick up a bucket of chocolate cookie dough ice-cream.  See ya

2. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm seeing crawling ramping up, and indexing going slower. Which have been symptoms of a major panda update in the past.

But, if it is being updated... it hasn't happened yet.

Just looked again- something very strange indeed
          1830 GMT 182 views-spooky- its almost as if Mr G has come for a look around to see if he likes the site again
          I don't see this as permanent- yet!

Fingers crossed for you.

Like case1worker, back in August my traffic dropped like a stone in 24 hours and has remained abysmal since then, so I really feel for you.  It is a horrible feeling to see them drop like that.  Hang on in there, as I'm sure your traffic will return.

Unusually for a Saturday, mine has improved, so am tentatively crossing my fingers.  Only about 800 a day to go now to get back to pre-panda levels!

3. profile image0

Mine is doing the same.  Started out fairly well this morning but it has gone lower all day.

18. toygurus profile image57
    toygurusposted 12 years ago

Tommorrow is one month since my plunge on Sept 23. I can't wait to see what happens. I expect a lot of plungers and soarers to be switching at during this time resulting in hubpages traffic remaining the same.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, overall HP was remarkably stable through Sept and most of October, just a slight rise.  Now it looks like there might be a major drop beginning.

My traffic has sunk today, but it's too early for me to know for sure whether it's a Saturday thing, or a Panda thing.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5662003_f248.jpg

19. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

This is quite interesting
    Following my plunge, I had two hours yesterday with 60 hits an hour ( agood day previously had been 60 hits a day)
    Overnight I have had 3 hits which makes me think that someone came visiting- didnt like what it saw and went off again?

20. uthurban profile image58
    uthurbanposted 12 years ago

Its a fault of Hubpages, or more accurately 301 redirect. The plungers are people whom hubs got copied somewhere like Izzym and Rudy. Though, technically sound, 301 can never be ascertained to be a fool proof solutions.

Posting your hubs in Twitter - though, twitter and google are no more together for real time search results - is a perfect solution to get rid of this situation.

I think, Izzym must have got somewhere wrong by neglecting this aspect.

Her traffic is really horrible. Mine with 70 hubs is consistently getting more than 1000 visits since subdomain 'act'. And, my hubs are not perfectly 'readable'. There are lots of grammar and punctuation mistakes. They are far much inferior than plungers. Only thing that I look for is to write something which is better than what Google's first page results for the main keyword. I have never written for competitive keywords. Look for something that has monthly visits of less than 500. See the Google results and try to write better than them. That's what I do. However, I only rely on Google Adsense for passive income. I know I can't persuade someone to buy something through my writing. That's done well for me. Try.

You may say, being related to a non-English speaking country is a boon.

I hope, quality plungers will get their due in time.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Joined 2 weeks ago, zero hubs?

1. uthurban profile image58
        uthurbanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Off course NOT!!!!!!

2. CASE1WORKER profile image62

2nd account!
        Just a thought, I thought it was best practise to post on the forum in one ID only,
        My traffic has totally tanked now, probably 10 views today-

1. uthurban profile image58
          uthurbanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is the case CASE1WORKER.... Always hide your main account. Away from content spammers....

2. IzzyM profile image87

Interesting theory. However, I ALWAYS post a new hub to Twitter right after publication when the Twitter box is right at the top, so that kinda blows that theory out of the water!
      But yes my stuff is copied everywhere despite this, and Google have been made aware that they are mine due to the numerous DMCA notices I have filed, but it makes no difference.
      I'm still get newly copied stuff showing up in search ahead of my originals.

21. toygurus profile image57

If someone is ranking with your content here are the corrective steps you can take.
    Do a DMCA complaint,
    Do a spam report,
    And then make sure you ping the page so google can come and find it. I think pingomatic should work.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I've done all these with no joy.
      I think it is fair to say that when your subdomain is slapped, nothing you do will make a blind bit of difference.
      Just need to wait until Google decides to un-slap it.
      Meanwhile I'm off building sites so that I don't miss Christmas this year completely.

Good idea, Izzy!  One good aspect of the slaps is motivation to start one's own sites or seek other venues to publish their work.  But whatever the venue, big G will have their say-so in the matter.  Big G is watching..........!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Funny how big G likes the sites I wrote in the early summer, yet doesn't like my hubs.

One of my sites has #1,2,3 and 4 on Google search for its main keywords, another has positions 1, 2 and 3, and my high search term site is at #10.

I'm not sure where the rest are, but one I just wrote yesterday is at #34 for a high search term.

Similar hubs are not even in the top 100.

There are gains to be made using confusion as a smokescreen.  But not by the likes of us, of course!  smile

22. cameciob profile image81

Ok, as I thought, the miracle only lasts ....1 day.
    I started going down again.
    At 9:00 am I had 390 views.
    some more then 3 hours later, as right now, I have plunged to 329.
    The surge was all over my account. An interesting fact: GAnalytic told me I had over 100 direct traffic, which I have never recorded in my whole account history. Everything is so unusual, surreal and abnormal, to say the least.

My days hits = 20, I have more than that with my 2nd account that has 4 hubs!
      I think I am going to prune it a little and move stuff around

Yup, right back down the other side of the roller coaster - not that the gain in traffic was huge, but it has now plunged right back!

Well, at least my traffic doesn't get my hopes up and then dash them shortly afterwards.  So that makes me better than you guys!  Doesn't it?  smile

Well like you Randy since August I had been chugging along on a fairly even level of plungedom, which made the not too big spike on Saturday unusual.

Tip to Google - not sure my heart health can take spikes and plunges!

Although I have slight gains in traffic after the weekends, I have always done so because of a particular niche my highest trafficked hubs are in.  I'm back where I was with only 30+ hubs shortly after I joined HP.  It may get better, but I doubt it will ever be something one depends on as a solid investment of their time.  I do hope I'm wrong, however.  smile

I hope you are wrong Randy as you deserve to get your traffic back smile  But like Izzy said, I think building up a more diverse portfolio is probably the answer.

23. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

MY HP traffic has been shooting up this past couple of hours, but its not Google traffic - it'd DIRECT traffic whatever that is! Its now taken up 50% of my total views, but I haven't looked at my own hubs recently.

Bet its some kind of plagiarising content software!`

Izzy, this is what happenned to me yesterday- for two hours I was getting current daily views in an hour- all marked direct
      and then....................
      todays traffic has plummeted a further 60 per cent- so now getting 20 hits a day from a high of 380 hits
      Ah well, enjoy the fun whilst it lasts and I hope it does last- let us know how you do

1. IzzyM profile image87

Really? I saw you'd posted a traffic increase that didn't last but didn't know till now it was direct traffic.
        Unless it is Google traffic, or all traffic on one hub, then it is not worth anything and will not last, but I would like to know where it is coming from.
        It's pushing my bounce rate way up too, which of course Google hates and will mark you down for, and it seems to be across a wide range of hubs.
        How odd!

1. cameciob profile image81
          cameciobposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, I just went on analytic again and I found out the following:
          During my surge, yesterday somewhere between 8am and this morning at 8 am (24 h window) i had
          37.50% direct traffic (or 138 visits)
          among direct traffic 93.48 % or 129 visits have Chrome as the browser and Linux as opereting system.
          The landing pages for those visits are my hubs, my profile, my habativity, my latest hub...I rarely have this landing pages all in one day. So I do believe that something was going on yesterday, coming from HP in Chrome and linux.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I do not know anyone who uses Linux as it simply isn't all bells and whistles like Windows, but those who do are normally techie people, so maybe my first guess wasn't so wide off the mark - it's some kind of software?

Any techie person want to jump in and comment here?

1. ThomasE profile image68

I am sure it is some kind of software.

Linux should be at most a few percent of the people who are visiting your site.

Just checked my GA stats for Saturday and my little spike was also 'direct' traffic.  It also did not stay on the page for very long, which will impress the big G no end.  Did we get content scraped?

Yesterday, I actually had more traffic from Yahoo than I did Google - times are strange! smile

Where's Ryan when you need something explaining?
        Yes, it is very very strange

24. Ms Chievous profile image65

Day three..still over 800 views..still  hopeful..

keep my fingers crossed for you!

2. IzzyM profile image87

Yeah, enjoy the ride smile

25. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Also want to add, most of my visits are also chrome and linux, they come from the US, and use amazon.com inc as their service provider.

amazonaws.com that's how is mine too. and 14.0.835.109 browser version lol, I have no idea what all this means but is very odd. where's ryan now? slippin'?

Google Chrome Portable 14.0.835.109 Beta (web browser)
        amazon aws - amazon web services

1. IzzyM profile image87

I just went back and looked and yes mine used the exact same browser version.
          I was doing some digging online and found this - http://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/det … 010/07/26/
          That guy said to go digging for the city the visitor came from - but the bulk of mine - the exact same number who used the above named version of Chrome -  had their city "not set".

I think that is 4 of us had this issue now. Anyone else?

26. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I was so fed up yesterday I started deleting as I wanted to move things.
    Have now undeleted content, because if we were being copied then my articles would be published after the duplicate and it would be hard to prove as my own. So back to sitting it out and waiting or for some reliable source who knows what on earth happenned, to comment

27. Ms Chievous profile image65

Wow.. views are over 1000!  Not much to brag about with adsense but at least I am earning....

28. leahlefler profile image95

I'm almost afraid to type this because I know how temporary traffic can be, but my traffic is starting to come back after the October 13 plunge. Not all the way, mind you, but higher than it has been (by about 150 views) since that plungeful day.

Fingers crossed and knocking on wood, my traffic will return to pre-Oct 13 levels. Now, if only it would stay there!

Sidenote - I didn't really do anything to get my traffic back. It just showed up this morning.

29. cameciob profile image81

I did some researches last night and I found out that around 21 oct. this version of Google Crome was released for download. This 14.0.835.109 version was released for beta users in august, around 23!!!!when i had my firts surge!
    It is said that it is a version that is many online businesses were looking for.
    I don't know to many things but it looks like it impacted some of our traffic.

1. joyfuldesigns profile image71
      joyfuldesignsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine is also JUST starting to improve since about the first of Sept. of so....

30. jenniferrpovey profile image76
    jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

Amazon.com as the ISP would make me wonder if people are coming here using Kindles. Maybe the browser identifier is picking up the Kindle browser and Fire as Chrome for some reason.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Pretty sure its nothing like that - Kindle Fire isn't even released yet anyway.

Its not even Amazon, it's someone using one of Amazon services, or a bot using them.

But not tied to Amazon products either because many of my informational hubs got hit, those without Amazon capsules.

They have gone now, but they are quite welcome to come back because it made me feel better that someone was looking at my hubs, even if it was only a robot.

there are some other reports of surge with direct traffic over the official post about new stats. One of the hubbers was pcunix.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I just read it, but none of that relates to this because I am not on the new system yet.

31. Aficionada profile image79

I just did some scrounging around to define direct traffic, because I had thought it was a good thing.  What I learned is that the term once did refer to something good - traffic that had come because the visitor had typed in the URL or used a bookmark (and was therefore, presumably, among the more motivated visitors).

But now the term means any traffic that does not have a referrer.  There's a long list of reasons why that could happen, here:

http://www.webtrendsoutsider.com/2008/r … s-reports/

So, it is not necessarily a good thing after all - but I'm not sure it's bad, either.  It just depends.  One of the articles I scanned (maybe this one linked) said that, as a category, it is something like "Other."

32. seamist profile image60
    seamistposted 12 years ago

The pattern continues. For three Mondays now, every other Monday, my traffic starts rising. Although this time it's not rising as high yet. It lasts for a week and dies on Friday. Then I go for a week without hardly any traffic until the next surge begins. The pattern is strange. Anybody have any ideas what is going on.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How bizarre. It is utterly normal to traffic for drop on Friday and rise on Monday: that's the standard web traffic cycle. (Use quantcast.com and put in Hubpages or any other major website to observe this pattern). What's odd is that you're not seeing that cycle every week.

33. ThomasE profile image68
    ThomasEposted 12 years ago

Eh? On the direct traffic info, I have heard rumours that Google was planning to stop giving referer details on google searches using https, so, direct traffic may include google traffic.

Of course, these are just rumours.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not rumors, just slightly garbled.

This change was announced on Google's Webmaster Central Blog and has been extensively discussed by most of the major SEO industry sites. I recommend Danny Sullivan's Google Puts a Price on Privacy discussion of these changes on Searchengineland.

My Google analytics data already shows the impact: the seventh-best search query driving people to my content is listed as "(not provided)".

Very aggravating, since the main form of SEO I do is to study what my readers are interested in, treating their search queries as "questions shouted from the back of the room," and then I attempt to improve my content to answer their questions (or make a new article addressing a query, if it makes more sense as a separate article).

Ironically, despite that announcement, Google is still reporting referrers in our analytics data -- for now --  at the domain level, but of course that tells us nothing about who's doing the searching. (But then, neither did the search queries, since they weren't tied to a particular IP.)

The long and short of it: we no longer will know many of the queries bringing people to our pages.

Could this impact an accurate visitor count? I'm not sure. If Hubpages is relying on Google Analytics data, and counting the number of search queries that bring visitors to each hub, then it would underreport due to Google hiding some search queries. But if Hubpages' own traffic stats are counting visitors (which really they should), then this change will not impact reported traffic totals, only reported keywords. (Did that make sense? I's tired and having trouble explaining this.)

I am not really liking Google since Larry Page took over. He seems to be making Google against webmasters and content writers. This is absolutely huge for those of us who rely on that data.

I find it ironic that a company that scans your email and browsing history to deliver ads to you is concerned with privacy. They seem to be more concerned with the bottom line.

34. Ms Chievous profile image65

What goes up must come down!  Well it was a nice increase while it lasted....

Bummer! Mine had surged (to about 800 page views per day) then dropped to about 200 page views per day. Now I'm back to almost 500 page views per day, so it does seem to have recovered slightly. I hope you recover, too!

1. cardelean profile image86
        cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, I'm still down but I'm wondering if part of it is because I haven't published much lately.  Ahhh....hopefully this will pass.

I'm down a bit this afternoon - but not down to the 25% of my top traffic. I'm down to about 50% of my top "surge" traffic, so we'll see what happens over the week. I was up nicely last night and this morning... I have a feeling that we're going to see a few peaks and valleys. I did publish a new hub a couple of days ago, and I'm trying to get my "average" hub quality up (so that the "average" hub is longer and more detailed).

1. Ms Chievous profile image65
            Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow.. I am way down.. 220 views.. that is a new low for a weekday.   I have not had time to do any backlinking this week.. maybe this is why?? hmm

I don't know... I don't backlink anything, so I know my plunges/surges have little to do with that aspect of online writing. My top surge was about 800 views per day, followed a little while later by the plunge to about 225 views/day. Now I'm hanging out around 350-400 views/day. I had steadily increasing views after the subdomain split, until October 13.

35. sagebrush_mama profile image59
    sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years ago

Seeing an upward trend the last couple of days...post-panda/pre-subdomain-ish levels today...not holding my breath, but it's been about 2 months since that late August surge/plunge for me.

36. profile image0

Traffic has been fluctuating the last few days.  Up for a short time then  back down.  Eventually it will settle down.

37. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I'm at about half of the views I was at pre Oct. 13th today.  After Aug. 10th it took me about 15 days to start the upswing again so I am hopeful that I am headed back in that direction.  Of course I wasn't getting as many views then so the plunge this time was a lot harder of a hit.  Here's to staying positive!

38. cameciob profile image81

I have a question.

(I kept pushing this question away, in the back of my mind, but I cannot do it anymore)

Here it goes: Are we worthless as hubbers? As Internet writers? Or as money makers?

1. IzzyM profile image87

We are not worthless as hubbers....We are not worthless as hubbers...We are not worthless as hubbers...We are not worthless as hubbers...We are not worthless as hubbers...We are not worthless as hubbers...We are not worthless as hubbers...!!

1. TToombs08 profile image77
        TToombs08posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, what IzzyM said!

39. theherbivorehippi profile image66
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

More blue arrows....I'm going to sleep. sad

40. Aficionada profile image79

Well, I decided to do some research on the "reconsideration request" process, just because I didn't know whether anyone following this thread (as a lurker) might want to know about it.  Now I feel absolutely livid.

It sounds like a good thing - that is, that someone whose traffic has dried up can have a way to get back into Google's good graces.  I watched a whole bunch of videos - some from Google and some from people who have been through the reconsideration process, one successfully and one not.

The main video from Google starts, essentially, with this:

The video never got around to telling what you should do if you don't know what has caused the drop in traffic.

A second one (from G) actually says, Go ahead and tell us what you have done wrong.  We already know about it anyway.   !!!!!   mad  mad  mad  mad 

Doesn't that sound like a parole board talking to a prisoner at their hearing?

I have just recently watched a DVD of one of those made-for-TV movies, about the McCuan child molestation case of the 1990s.  (For those who don't know, several families were falsely accused and convicted of child molestation and imprisoned, and the frenzy of accusations all across the country resembled the Salem Witch accusations.)  One of the mothers was requesting a visit with her son - after she had been in prison for years without even being able to see him at all! - and the psychiatrist said basically the same thing that Google said in the video - just admit that you have done wrong!  [She refused.]

As I said, I feel livid right now.  mad  mad  mad  mad

The reconsideration request at google is only used when google has taken your site out of their index. The only reason they would do this is if your site is spammy or using paid links.

To check if your site is indexed type:site:followed by your subdomain homepage. Reconsideration doesn't deal with a drop in rankings caused by the ranking algorithm. They will just tell you no manual action has been taken against your site if you file it.

Hope that made sense.

Trouble is, as you say, most of us don't know why we've plunged like a concrete block in deep water!

toyguru's point is that this isn't a manual penalty, and the reconsideration request is only for manual penalties.

Panda, and these surges / plunges are NOT manual penalties. They are not even algorithmic penalties, as far as I can see. Basically, your hubs don't match whatever the algorithm wants at the moment.

That doesn't mean you have done anything wrong - it also does not mean your hubs are bad - but it does means that if you can figure out whatever the algorithm doesn't like about your hubs, you can fix it, and regain the ranking very quickly. (with a manual penalty, even if you fix whatever was wrong, google still won't reverse the penalty without a reconsideration request for 90, 180 or 365 days)

BUT, people either still don't know, or aren't willing to say, what the algorithm wants right at the moment.

That's the trouble ThomasE, you just can't get anyone to say what the real problem is.  I've amended hubs according to the various suggestions I have been given, but it hasn't changed anything.  We plungers need something a bit more concrete than vague statements like 'reads awkwardly'.

The HP staff either don't know or are being very coy about it, and to be quite honest they don't seem to care and have washed their hands of us.  As there are some big accounts that have been affected like Izzy's, that just doesn't seem to make good business sense to me.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
            WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I've just read your Consolamentum, CMHypno (http://cmhypno.hubpages.com/hub/Consola … he-Cathars)

and if that "reads awkwardly" then I'd like to see what is defined as "flowing"  by the people giving those judgements.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I just read it and all I can say is O.M.G. what is this person doing writing hubs?

CMHypno, that is brilliant! You should be writing novels, but I see you have one in the making.

Thanks for the kind comments on 'Consolamentum' WriteAngled - I was wondering where the HubPages traffic was coming from!

2. IzzyM profile image87

I've not got a big account - I was never one of their high earners, and looks like I never will be. They would not help me even if I had/was. They didn't help the high earners here after Panda.

But I sure would like to know what is wrong.

2. ThomasE profile image68

I don't think it has anything to do with writing, Just a cursory look at the SERPs at the moment tell me that.

I'm fairly sure if you took the same writing elsewhere, it would be doing better than it is here..

Bluntly, I think that Google is throttling the commercial hits to this site. I think that you can write as well as you like, if you are writing commercial hubs, you will be affected by Panda sooner or later.

You can take the same material elsewhere, and do much better.

41. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I didn't really have a plunge as such, my best hub has now shot up to nearly 2,000 views a day since last week when it moved to first spot on Google for its keyword! big_smile

I wouldn't wish the plunge on anyone Richie, so I hope the big G never looks your way.  Congrats on your great traffic smile

1. Richieb799 profile image74

Thanks mate, yeah traffic seems to have shone on me this week, big time! although to hubs that were ranking well lost some traffic..but my best hub only improve after the sub domain switch.

42. theherbivorehippi profile image66
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

Just when I thought I couldn't get lower..... I knew I should have stayed off the computer today. It's a lovely stripe of blue arrows.....OH but there is ONE red arrow...my vegan pumpkin pie recipe (considering it rarely gets any views...a small spike is even significant). Glad people are doing some baking this weekend. smile

43. TToombs08 profile image77
    TToombs08posted 12 years ago

It's me, my fault. I cause crashes everywhere I go. Vote me off the hub. smile And CMHypno - omg...your writing is simply brilliant. Thank you!!!

1. mkronline profile image59
      mkronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anyone have a hub on how to get a pitchfork-wielding mob together? There's some complex logistics involved.

44. toygurus profile image57

Google doesn't penalize specific sites. Thus, the algorithm is finding something wrong with hubpages.

Here are the panda guidelines.
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … ality.html
    Can anybody else see what we would be violating here at hubpages?

Don't just say google sucks or they don't know what they are doing. We have to work with them since they are sending us traffic. Either that or we are going to have to find a new traffic source for our hubs. Maybe on facebook or twitter. Most of use can't rely on the traffic from bing and yahoo. Although my account at the moment is receiving more traffic from those search engines.

So I looked at the google webmaster guidelines and one thing that has stuck out at me was this:
    Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?

A lot of people here that write about popular commercial items are writing about similar topics.

I'm not sure if this explains why the plunging and surging is going on. I have noticed people who say they are steady write about unique topics that know one else writes about. I am wondering if all the accounts that are commercial in nature are the ones being penalized because there is overlap. I know people think that subdomains are supposed to exist in isolation, but I'm not sure with the tag pages.

Relache says her account is stable and traffic to her account is increasing. She's got amazon and ebay ads on her pages. She got ads as well. However, I noticed that every topic she writes about has almost no overlap on hubpages. When I click on her tags. I see that even her tags are unique. She is the only one on most of the tag pages. Maybe we have to use unique tags.

Is there anyone else that has a stable account that we can take a look at?

Or maybe I am over thinking and our hubs just need time. I am not writing at hubpages anymore. I do know my content is ranking really well on other platforms and on my own website. I'll decide next year if I should continue after enough time has elapsed. I really feel sorry for people who have all their content on hubpages but hopefully in time your account will stabilize.

Regardless, this is a lesson that you shouldn't put all you eggs in one basket or be so reliant on google traffic.

Interesting thought toygurus, but on a site this large, it would be very difficult to have unique tags for each hub.  HP have already restricted articles to heavily saturated topics such as acai berries, so that only the best quality articles on the subject get published.

One of the reasons Nelle Hoxie got annoyed, was that other hubbers hoping to replicate her success would go through her account and write very similar hubs utilising the same keywords and tags, which is one of the reasons so many successful hubbers have second accounts that they keep well under the radar.

45. cnatraininginfo profile image61
    cnatraininginfoposted 12 years ago

The only way your going to get yourself sandboxed is if your spamming your link illegally all over the internet. What you do have to understand although is trying to rank a webpage which is on a subdomain isn't nearly as easy or beneficial as having a website. First hubpages itself is nofollow your links within the domain will not gain PR from the hubpages.com domain so your dependent on ranking yourself and being in competition with all the main topics within the google search. Hubpages how ever are easier to make because you don't need to know html and you don't have to install the plugins and all that you plan on using but if you rank your hubpage at the top of a valued google search I'll cry for you because your making peanuts for yourself when if you ranked an actual site you could be making thousands of dollars per month since in a good tier of keyword you'll make more like 300-400 per 4,000 impressions and here you'll only make 10 percent. I wouldn't be phocused with google anyways if you write good content people will find you.

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? Well how come me and many others have suffered a mighty harsh boot up the jacksy on HP? I absolutely guarantee that I have not spam linked a damn thing.

Next theory?

2. lrohner profile image70
      lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Phocused? BWAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66
        theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently only us "illegal spammers" are finding great humor in this. lol

46. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

and your qualifications for spouting this ton of incorrect garbage??????

BTW your "phocus" is extraordinary...

lol

2. cnatraininginfo profile image61
      cnatraininginfoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well if its cool to make fun of someone who has dyslexia then feel free to laugh on you don't have to listen to anything I say but after all that separates people who are SEO over people who don't have any SEO knowledge. While your just assuming your going to make it big I'll be here knowing why your not wink

1. IzzyM profile image87

You have dyslexia yet you joined a writers forum?

That's...emm...brave of you.

I hope you know more about writing then that you do about SEO, because you haven't a clue, mate!

"You have dyslexia yet you joined a writers forum?

That's...emm...brave of you."

I have dyslexia as well, Izzy, but in the past people with dyslexia did not have to be brave to post here.

This was a supportive and nice place.

1. Will Apse profile image89
            Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many writers have mild dyslexia.

People with mild dyslexia focus hard on written language and often gain greater control over of it than the average person- simply because it is such a monster.

2. IzzyM profile image87

My Apologies Thomas, that was certainly not meant as a dig at you or indeed at anyone with dyslexia which is a pretty horrendous condition.

However, I do not believe the person I directed to that remark does indeed suffer from it, rather just an inflated opinion of himself and an excuse, nothing more.

I don't believe that person has dyslexia either. I'm pretty sure dyslexia has nothing to do with knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" as well. I mix letters up a lot in my writing, I always have (which is why editing takes me so long) but I still know the difference....he/she made the "your" error twice...clearly as clueless in this department as they are about SEO.

I have problems understanding columns of figures relating to finances.

I do not do book-keeping or accountancy...

47. doodlebugs profile image91
    doodlebugsposted 12 years ago

My earnings soared to the highest in five months, just after switching to the subdomain, then plunged toward the end of September. It's a shame that Google is ignoring so many high quality articles on Hubpages. Perhaps the owners can sit down with Google, as Demand Media did, and work out some kind of arrangement whereby quality Hubs get indexed in the top search results, rather than getting buried on page 5. It's discouraging, but I have faith in the owners of Hubpages to remedy the situation.

48. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

After a really nice couple of months my traffic seems to be plummeting again....

Welcome. I wish I wouldn't have had those couple of really great months now. This wouldn't feel so harsh.

49. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

LOL. Didn't you get the memo? Traditional SEO is dead, and the ebooks on "How to get a PR1 rating with Google in less than 24 hours" are too.

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Traditional SEO is alive and well, people who attempt bad SEO are as always the ones who suffer from Google changes.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read recently in a google document regarding the search quality rating program that Utility is the most important aspect of search engine quality, and is therefore the most important thing for you to think about when evaluating webpages.
        In other words, does the landing page deliver in a helpful way in regard to the user query.

1. thisisoli profile image71
          thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The document is from Google reviewers who assign manual flags on sites as part of their quality control and testing purposes, it is a good indicator as to how you can improve your image to Google.

However,

Good Linking Strategy
          Good On Page SEO
          Good PR

Still remain the key factors in an SEO campaign, as they have stood in SEO for nearly a decade now.  A few small factors have changed, but getting high quality related backlinks, building good content with keywords, and communicating with your readers have always been key factors.  Black and most grey hat techniques continually get weeded, but core white hat SEO principals are just as strong as when I first started researching SEO for my first site in 1998.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am agreeing with you. I had read this document and noted that above statement was in bold print, about the utility of the landing page.

I'm sure some took a huge hit because they were manually reviewed and marked as spammy content.

2. Richieb799 profile image74

I was explaining to my boss how one of our competitors was buying Scrapebox blasts  and Facebook 'likes' on Fiverr. Since I began working on his site, we have moved from 7th behind that competitor, to 1st for multiple keywords.

50. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Can we please stop bitching about people who dare to make typos? No one is perfect and you can judge the quality of a persons hubs by reading their hubs, so no need to speculate.

I do that anyway.

The discussion here is about totally inaccurate "advice" presented on this very forum.   

When people reacted in fitting manner, the name of a medical condition was waved around as some form of self-justification.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)