Pinterest "Pin It" button

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 65 discussions (172 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

We added the Pinterest "Pin It" button to the small collection of popular social-sharing buttons at the top of Hubs on Thursday. Pinterest has rapidly become one of the largest social media traffic drivers to HubPages, already substantially larger than Twitter and Reddit. Maddie wrote a great writeup about Pinterest on our blog.

The button is installed on any Hub where the original photo was a minimum of 200 pixels by 150 pixels (i.e. the same dimensions to be eligible to be a Hub of the Day, and featured on the HubPages front page). If a Hub doesn't have an image of this size, it will not show a Pin It button. So, focus on great-quality pictures, your own, especially, if you want people to pin (and repin) your Hub!

We've read some concern about the rights that Pinterest has to have users (re)pin a (linked to their Hub) photo on their site, something that would not cease to be an issue if we were to take away the Pin It button, since many Pinterest users pin things using a bookmarklet on their browser toolbar. We happen to think allowing repinning is a great way for a Hub (and a Hubber) to get some viral viewership, but some Hubbers might not see it that way.

We are checking into seeing if it's possible to disable pinning at the subdomain level. Since Pinterest is new and their documentation not fully fleshed out yet, please give us some time to see if a solution is possible for these Hubbers.

UPDATE: Disabling Pinterest pinning is now an option for your HubPages account. Please visit the forum thread below to learn more:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/93743

1. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak for the excellent photographers on Hubpages and I am sure they have valid concerns that need to be addressed-

But I joined Pinterest and I love it!

There are already pin buttons out there whether they are available or not here. Likewise the same with Clipmarks, which has been around for a long time, but there they can Clip not only the photo but large portions of text too. Google image searches can get any photo out there, even from RedGage that is set up so the photos cannot be taken easily.

The point is that the photos are out there anyway. With Pinterest you can release the photos (you are already putting them out there anyway) yourself which gives you more control. The cool thing is that you get that traffic (referral traffic too I guess) Also the embed codes there, that are created have a source link as well. So basically people could be "working for you" by embedding those codes.

I would also like to see a stumbleupon button and a digg button maybe in the future.(especially a stumbleupon).

Thanks.

2. DonnaCosmato profile image86
      DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Jason (and HubPages) for both your fast response to provide the Pin It button and to addressing the concerns that have arisen about potential copyright issues with Pinterest.

1. bgamall profile image68
        bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

According to this Business Insider article, Pinterest may not be legal and is highjacking photos like mad:

http://www.businessinsider.com/pinteres … art-2012-2

2. FRANK sr profile image59
        FRANK srposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great points,let me kno how that turns out!
        Would consider a pin on my hubs,check us out! still figuring out good hubs and get our tents & camping site out there...

3. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Thanks, Jason and other staff!  It's reassuring to know that concerns are being heard and addressed.

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

Thanks Jason for responding to this issue on a weekend. I think it would be a great idea to have this controlled at a subdomain level. Then those of us who want to have nothing to do with this site can remove the button, and those of us who want the button can have it. Then both sides are happy. That would be exactly what Greekgeek was asking for when she started the other forum. 

For the moment I have unpublished my photo galleries of my cat. I will republish them when I can control the button.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I may not republish them at all. I have to say that I have noticed that the person who seems to disagree with me most strongly on the hub I wrote does not use his own photographs.  So how would he know how I feel.? Odd. You think the strongest reaction against what I say would come from fellow photographers. But no. They say that the button should be optional.

5. ngureco profile image79
      ngurecoposted 12 years ago

It will be interesting to see the opinion of other hubbers regarding this post.

If your photos are pinned and they bring in traffic, that traffic will tend to spread across the entire hubpages through links such as “related hubs”. As a community, would it be unfair if only those subdomains that have attempted to participate in getting such traffic are linked together under links such as “related hubs”?

It’s just a thought which may be unpopular.

I couldn't care less if my hubs were not  listed as related hubs for hubs with the pin it button. I'd rather not have the traffic to my hubs at all with my original photographs. Hence, this is why I have unpublished my photo galleries.

6. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

Cool but why aren't these buttons at the bottom of the hub instead of the top. It's rare that a reader will backtrack through an article but if the option where at the end where they end, we might see more use.

7. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Pinterest really loved me at first. But now I haven't had a repin in 13 days. Tough town, the internet...

8. 50 Caliber profile image61
      50 Caliberposted 12 years ago

I have a serious collection of 50 years of photography that I have been working on to get them loaded and sorted by subject and date.
      I really wanted to post a series of a photo journey of my life, now that my avatar has been stolen for an ad to sell some sort of computer gaming chips with the statement there's gold in those chips, it shows on google image search now as well.
      Gold for who?
      I have my own pictures on the few hubs I've got so now I know there is a size relevance I'll be checking and removing accordingly.
      I won't be able with clear conscience to do a photo based auto- biography unless there is protection from this piracy button.
      Peace,

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84
        oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello 50 Caliber, I hope you are able to find a way to publish your photos you have collected throughout your life.  That sounds like a really neat project.  I hope that no matter what happens, you find a way that you can get that done while feeling good about it.  So sorry your avatar got taken in that way, especially a photo of you.  That is just crazy.  They should have contacted you, let you in that one.

9. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years ago

I think my biggest question, besides all my others, is that if we start pinning our own photos over on Pinterest, will we get copyright warnings here on our hubs?  If I post an ocean photo there, or a tide pool photo, will I get a copyright warning here? 

All this just comes after unloading a lot of my photos for that last photo contest that ended a few weeks ago.  I put up many I may not have otherwise put out.  It is what it is. 

I also am quickly realizing that even if I pull back and delete those hubs or unpublish them, those photos have been grabbed by google already.  I tested it... I found some rose garden ones out there too.  Its like it is too late.  As a photographer, I am glad to know the truth of what is going on, no matter how it makes me feel right now.  I haven't posted all my best or anything, but a lot that I took with my newer camera I invested in, etc.  Such is the nature of things. 

So much to think about suddenly.  I understand how you feel FloraBreenRobison.  I enjoyed some of your hubs I saw.  I hate to see you have to take them down, but I totally understand.

So again, my biggest concern at the moment is copyright violation warnings, etc.  Can we be assured that won't be an issue for us by HubPages?

10. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the information and I am looking forward to the update.smile

11. Trsmd profile image57
      Trsmdposted 12 years ago

Pinterest will allow you to land in Hubpages after two clicks of that image, and I believe that most of the Poole love there images and they are not entering I side the detailed website. I have to wait and see.

12. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

RedElf thought of another possible solution that would be great for both sides - is there a way to make the button invisible except to the author of the hub? Then you can pin your own hub all you want but then those of us who don't want to be involved will have more weight to our DMCA claim if our pictures show up there  without our permission?

Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As I mentioned in my post, that will not stop people from pinning Hubs, because the button is not the only way you can pin something on Pinterest.

We were getting lots of traffic to Hubs from Pinterest before we installed the button.

I have been watching Pinterest with interest for several months. In a very short amount of time that site's alexa ranking has went from 200 to less than 100.

If Pinterest goes to a global site rank of 10 or less in a few months, people on Hubpages would have wanted to know why Hubpages didn't get on board earlier with this site.

When someone publishes a photo online, Google and I assume other search engines pick up that photo and display it on their image searches "anyway", whether you want to share them that way or not. I suspect they are cached too, so it wouldn't matter if you took the photo off the net, it would still be there.

I for one, believe that Hubpages is working in the best interest of the hubbers here to jump on board a site that has shown phenomenal growth. Thanks

1. cardelean profile image87
            cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well put PhoenixV.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

Jason. I can see that I will have to explain why I don't want to do it deliberately. Pinterest is run by a a beer company. My brother is a recovering alcoholic. What kind of creep would I be to make money off of a company that makes a product that nearly killed my brother? Beer was his alcohol of choice.   Will people pin it without my control? Probably.  But when you are related to a person who is an alcoholic, you want *nothing* to do with selling alcohol.

I think that Pinterest is a company run by former Google employees and I think Pinterest is their first service or product so far. They are just called Cold Brew Labs, so I think that makes it confusing.

Do we know this for sure? It is indeed confusing.  You see why I would be concerned, yes? What do they sell if it isn't beer? Tea? I'm not being facetious, making tea is referred to as brewing tea.  A big load would be off my shoulders as far as I'm concerned if that is true, but with that title  how many people know this? I would really like to know what the title means so that if people who know about my brother ask me I can tell them I am not doing the unthinkable.

2. Jason Menayan profile image59

Yes, when I read "cold brew" actually I thought of cold brewing coffee, not beer, but I guess I'm more of a coffee aficionado than a beer one. smile

I'm a tea drinker myself which - when cold - is very popular too (not in this weather! smile ) If I hadn't a brother who was an alcoholic I might not have thought of it that way.
                As I said, I'm still worried about TOS, but I don't stay up at night brooding anymore.

2. PhoenixV profile image64

I wanted to say that I am glad to hear your brother is doing better and I could see your concern, but I dont think they are involved with beer in anyway despite the name. Mostly ex google people and venture capital places that funded things like foursquare and skype as far as I know.

I am thrilled to hear this.  This was my issue beyond TOS difficulties.

I wish I was a great photographer like you guys, I always wanted to be a photographer, but I just cant afford the equipment it takes NOR do I have you  guys talent. It is very good and generous of you guys to share photographs that everyone can appreciate:)

13. animalplanet30 profile image60
      animalplanet30posted 12 years ago

plz help how to use pin it to get a traffic

14. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Jason, I appreciate that you're trying to navigate a complex issue. I would love it if that subdomain kludge worked!

Thanks for the response. Crossing fingers.

15. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Greekgeek: this is the way it's supposed to work! Members can discuss an issues giving objective arguments on both sides of the discussion, and then come to a similar conclusions - then the site will take the whole discussion into account and do something if necessary!

I'm glad that your concerns are hopefully going to be addressed!

16. cardelean profile image87
      cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I understand those who are taking photos of a professional quality are concerned about their photos being stolen.  I use my own photos for my hubs but they are not "professional" in quality by any means.  In my experience both as a person who has pinned photos with links and who has had my photos (hubs) repinned, I find that people are pinning as a "bookmark" for future access to the idea for a recipe or craft idea or teaching idea, not to steal a photo.  As for me, I have found Pinterest to be a wonderful place for backlinking and have had almost 1000 views to my hubs just in the last month and a half from Pinterest. 

I hope that all of those who are wishing to have the pin it button removed get their wish but for me, I love it.

17. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I joined Pinterest about a week ago after being invited. I have not pinned anything yet but I see some good traffic from there. I do not quite understand their TOS yet and until I do I will not pin anything but I am grateful for the button and would not want it removed from my hub. I have gotten more Pinterest traffic in the last few days than I ever got from Twitter.

I also don't mind people pinning or re-pinning my photos. I don't mind people using my photos anyway. I am more concerned about my text content and making money.

I agree.  I never really got any twitter traffic.  And for clarification, I meant that I hope that those who want it removed from their hubs that it is removed but for me, please pin away!

18. Nell Rose profile image91
      Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Hi, from what I can see, its best to pin your own stuff, thats what it says on the hub blog link. at least this way you know whether its safe copyright, it seems everybody else is doing that anyway, from their own sites, what do you think?

When I joined I noticed that some of my hubs had already been pinned there. Mostly a recipe hub that they had bookmarked and probably is the reason that hub has got a lot of traffic I couldnt explain. I am glad I am there so I can control which thumbnails are used and how it is presented.

I cant speak for the excellent photographer on hubpages that spend thousands on DSLR cameras, lenses, tripods, filters and hours of artistic work. I hope that they will see that its more of a bookmark site that will show what they choose to show if they get involved. I think its a great way to share their art/photography. I think it is an assumption that people will just steal stuff. Its just a classy bookmarking site, and although I understand these photographers concern, I hope they give it a try anyway. Their photographs are already out there via search engines.

1. Cardisa profile image89
          Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PhoenixV, I agree with you. Now that we know what it's about we can control which photos are used by formatting our hubs a certain way.

I also think it's a great way to promote your photos.

2. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm really confused as the Pinterest Etiquette says to not promote your own stuff and the TOS and HP Blog say to only pin stuff that you own the copyright of.  Which can only be your own stuff right?

Yet there is a Pinterest button on all my hubs encouraging people to pin them, and I have a Pin It button on my browser that encourages me to pin from other people's websites?

Personally I don't mind if people pin my images, but I can see why some people do, and how does anyone pinning know that the hubber/website owner obtained these images legally in the first place?  More work for me as I have been lax about attributing my own photos in the past.

Or is it more like sharing something in Twitter and FB?

The more I think about it the more my head spins!

19. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Hi Jason, I just read Maddie's blog about Pinterest... very informative - thanks, Maddie!  I, for one, am glad that Hubpages added the "pin it" button.  Thanks, Hubpages, Maddie and Jason!

20. Nell Rose profile image91

It seems that all our conversations mean nothing as I just went on to one of my hubs, all my own photos, and realised to my horror, delight? not sure which one, that it had been Pinned 5 times already anyway! didn't see that one happen!

It is never wrong to be be informed of what is happening. I think this is especially true of things we cannot control, like other people pinning our articles.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84

Nell Rose, how could you tell?  Still learning here.

1. Nell Rose profile image91
          Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, ocean, just take a look at your pin at the top of the hub, its says a number next to it if someone pins it, for example 2, 3 etc, okay?

Thanks Nell Rose, and I just checked and found a hub with a 1 next to the pin button.

21. Nell Rose profile image91

I don't really mind about my photo's as if I wanted to sell them i would try and send them to those sites that do that sort of thing, but the one question that is puzzling me is, what do we get out of pinning someone's hub? I know on facebook etc we can see who does it, so we reciprocate, but not sure what good it does on here? don't get me wrong, i appreciate that someone pinned me, if it helps to get readers then great, but I am a bit puzzled!

General traffic to HP helps us all but you can also add your referral tracker to a hub that you share elsewhere.  This will also add a few cents to your pocket if the hub is viewed.  It is explained in the learning center here.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/referral-program

But some people just want to share a good idea.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

since I don't know how others feel about it, I would not pin anyone's hub but mine.

22. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
      DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I've seen a boost in traffic with some of it coming from Pinterest and noted several repins since the "Pin It" button arrived. I love the fact that it makes it so much easier to bring traffic to our hubs.  I've had almost 2000 visitors from Pinterest in the past 30 days and can only see that improving with the Pin It button.

23. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Ive not read the full terms about Pinterest as yet, but I'm under the impressions that html links, photo's, videos, articles and web sites can be pinned on Pinterest?

24. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I joined Pinterest and now they are spamming me with someone pinned this, or someone pinned that. Anyone know if it is possible to block their emails?

When you log into Pinterest, go to settings.  You can change your notifications there just like you can for HP.  Hope this helps!

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, went straight over there an change some settings!

Was a bit worried by the message "Are you sure you want to proceed? This site's somethngorother is not to be trusted", when I went to login.

Ignored it anyway!

2. PhoenixV profile image64
        1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this too smile

Yes, no problem, sorry I was away from my computer, glad to help.

Yea, when I joined I was glad to see that a couple of my small recipes were pinned there already. I bet that is why those particular hubs were getting traffic and well, that's why I wrote them to be shared.

I like the site because of it being mementos, collections, scrapbooking or an album type bookmarking site. It is just new and different, so I am adjusting to navigating it like any new site. But it seems easy to figure out.

25. SimeyC profile image88

On the pinterest blog they tell you how to stop 'pins'

<meta name='pinterest' content="no pin"/>

Not sure if Hubpages Subdomains can incorporate different meta name data?

At the very least this can be used on your own personal blogs and websites....

Yes, that is exactly what we're going to test. We tried to contact Pinterest late last week, but have not heard a reply, so we'll test to see if that meta tag installed on one subdomain blocks Pinterest only on those Hubs, while not affecting others. We can deploy meta data differently across subdomains; we're not sure yet if Pinterest would recognize each subdomain as a different "site."

1. soni2006 profile image79
          soni2006posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason et al. Thanks a lot for creating the "Pin it" button. I have joined this site today and love how everything is going. A definite increase in traffic is expected. My username is same there as here at HP. Thanks once again. Appreciate your efforts.

2. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

I just read Pinterest's TOS and understand that everything we post must be original. No problem with the photos, but does that mean that if we have a youtube video embedded in one of our hubs (that we did not produce) we can't use the site to pin our hubs?

Peggy, not sure for sure on all that.  You have to have at least one photo, it doesn't allow videos from what I have seen so far.  I could be wrong.

My question would be, what does it mean by "original," there.  Anyone that pins anyone's stuff, won't be posting original stuff.  Original to me, or original initially to the person that posted it?

We have to copyright our stuff here if not in the public domain.  I just don't know what "original" means to pinterest.  Someone else said this could just be a way they are covering themselves, "legally"? 

Its an easy site, easy to navigate and use.  I just hope people don't stop there, get our photos and move on, but maybe actually click the photos twice and want to see more in our hubs here.  That would be cool for views, etc.  When we see them pinned here, we know we got that view at least.  When they are there, they may or may not get back to giving us a view.  I will be watching traffic to see, but there is no denying that site is doing well and has a ton of very nice photos there already.  It is all just so interesting.

I personally have seen great traffic to my hubs from Pinterest.  I think that it helps if when you pin your photo of your hub give it a good description so that people want to read more and be sure that it is categorized correctly.  For example:  Easy and healthy chicken recipe.  Then categorize it under food and drink.  In my experience, people who follow that category find it, check it out and then repin it onto their boards which potentially leads to even more pins.  Good luck!

3. jenniferrpovey profile image76
        jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

I do NOT want my photos pinned as Pinterest's TOS gives them the right to then sell my pictures. I am very displeased that I do not have the ability to opt out...the Pinterest opt out code won't work because it requires direct HTML editing capability.

Please give us the ability to opt out of this at the subdomain level. Until Pinterest stops saying 'We can make money off of your work at any time we want to without you seeing any of it', I desire nothing to do with them.

1. SimeyC profile image88
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

HP are working on a way to OPT out but probably need assistance from Pinterest. The problem currently is that even if the 'pin it' button isn't there, someone simply copies your URL and can pin that way.

There is a potential solution which HP are testing which 'supposedly' stops anyone from pinning your subdomain regardless of how they do it, but this is where they probably need Pinterest's help - my suggestion is to contact Pinterest rather than HP! The more people that do this, the more chance that Pinteret will give you tools to block your subdomain from being listed on Pinterest.

That is correct. Removing the button alone will not prevent people from pinning your Hub.

We are working to see if a meta tag installed on a Hub will prevent it from being pinned, without impacting the pinnability (?) of other Hubbers' Hubs.

My thought: Years ago, I installed an app called Desktoptopia on my Mac, which cycles through different background images. (The company went out of business, but the app still works on my computer) Two of the backgrounds that I really liked prompted me to check out these artists' (McBess and David Lanham) work further. I ended up buying a couple of McBess's t-shirts, and 2 of Lanham's prints. Had they not been shown on this social-sharing app, I would have never heard of them. I don't know if these artists uploaded those images themselves or had others do it for them, but in the end, it brought them some business.

This is not to discount any Hubber's personal interest in blocking Pinterest, but to encourage to think beyond only the potential liability of unscrupulous people copying your work, which can happen anywhere on the Web. If something can be discovered, it can be copied.

Hi Jason, I have a pin button on my browser toolbar so I can pin whatever I like on the net.

A little off topic, I didn't want to start a forum about this but what happened to the "Blog it" link from Blogger that used to be in the group of share buttons?

Yes, this is why removing the Pin It button is not enough for those people who don't want their Hubs pinned.
                We removed it along with the MySpace button because they were very rarely used. We periodically prune features that are rarely used, since we are always rolling out new features and don't want the number of options to become overwhelmingly large.

Thanks for replying Jason. I missed it because I blog most of my hubs but I can do it manually.

2. profile image0
                  HubTubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Question:  Many of us who write hubs at HP and add photos (which we do not legally own) state the source from where we obtained these photos, so as not to violate copyright laws.  As such, if we then were to pin these photos on Pinterest with the source already cited, would this not be an acceptable and legal way to pin without infringing upon copyright?  It makes sense to me.

Hi HubTub, this was one of my questions also.  Are you asking, that since its given credit where it is due "here", on HubPages, then if pinned it is "covered" in that sense there too?  I truly wonder at that point, what the people that put them on sites like Wikiepedia think of that.  If I am understanding you correctly, I think it makes sense to me also, but I sure would love to know the answer to that definitively if that is possible. 

If its not the case, as you put it, then it sure means it could be a potential big mess on the hands of Pinterest, I would think.  In essence, there will be tons of things there that aren't given credit where the credit is due.  Unless someone is willing to dig very deeply in the codes.

1. profile image0

@oceansnsunsets - Yes, you understood me spot on.  smile I think I may give Pinterest a whirl after all.  If it brings more traffic to my hubs, terrific.  I don't see how millions of lawsuits are likely going to come to fruition  against individuals using Pinterest.  If anything, as someone posted here in the forum, the worst that could happen is that Pinterest shuts down; however, in the meantime, I still have some links out there which are bringing traffic to my hubs.  I will take comfort in the fact that at least I am giving credit where credit is due by citing the source.

3. Lord De Cross profile image69
                  Lord De Crossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well Thanks Jason for clearing things up. We hope to see more improvements for the sake of the readers and ourselves.

2. bgamall profile image68
          bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pinned pictures of Stevie Nicks which came up on my travel site. If they try to sell those they will likely have a lawsuit on their hands. I think HP needs to clear this up.

4. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

This just seems like another thing we'll have to be worried about checking to see if it's being used to steal our work here.  Like we need to make it easier for the thieves.  roll

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

I haven't pinned anything yet because I am still uncertain. I installed the pin button on my browser but this whole thing has me really concerned about pinning. I certainly don't want to make things easier for the thieves. I am having a hard time with them as it is.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
            Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I'm getting weary of the whole Tweet this, FB that, Google+ here, backlink there, etc.  I just want to write and not have to waste my time with these things anymore.  There are thieves in every aspect of this business.  Adding more is not worth my time!  yikes

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

I know the feeling. You end up spending little time writing.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
              schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, all these things take up too much time for me. also

5. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 12 years ago

As a photographer and an artist I appreciate Pinterest because it is giving me more traffic to my articles.  I have no problem with people pinning my stuff, as long as it links back to me.  The only thing that I thought was funny was when some person pinned a picture of a card I made with my Scotty dog drawing, and then talked about how it was creepy.  When I commented on her pin to point out I did not think it was a creepy dog, she deleted the pin.  Actually, I had no problem with her pinning my stuff, just think she could have understood that once you find a picture on the Internet and make fun of it, eventually the photographer might come around and comment on it.

It is sad that people don't tend to be too thoughtful like that sometimes.  You make a good point though.  Good for you for stating your points to her. 

This whole thing is a hard topic in some ways, but the end goal is more traffic.  If that is achieved then like you, I think that is a good thing.  It might be good for us to encourage people to consider what is the worst that would happen?

6. profile image0
        The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

I do not want this theft device on my Hubs.

EDIT: Were any HP members actually asked about this? Or was it an "executive decision"?

1. jenniferrpovey profile image76

In all honesty, I really love the concept of Pinterest and want to use it. But their TOS as written is bad. It may be that the intent is to cover their behind about making money from the network in general, and if that is the case, then I'll make an account. I'm holding off for clarification. It's not about people copying my work, it's a specific bad clause in the Pinterest TOS that I personally have not agreed to that might give them rights to use it in a way I don't want.

2. jenniferrpovey profile image76

Okay. I read the full TOS.

Seems it is being misquoted/taken out of context. The bad terminology applies only to content deliberately uploaded through a Pinterest account.

They aren't claiming anything over stuff that is 'pinned', it seems. Took me entirely too long to FIND their terms of service because they don't have it tagged properly...they have it tagged only as terms of use, so Google doesn't take you there.

So. Okay. I'm happy with it (although I still won't be making an account until/unless they clarify the language. It's not the boilerplate...the boilerplate does not include 'sell' or 'sublicense' - and even with the limit that it's only their site, I don't like it. I think 'sublicense' bothers me more... Again, if they're just covering their behind and are considering 'put ads on the same page' as 'sell'...but then why would they need sublicense?

1. Greekgeek profile image78
            Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Except that when you pin ANYTHING, it uploads that content to Pinterest. It makes a new, full-sized copy of the photo on Pinterest and stores it there. That's the "Member Content" the Terms of Use is referring to.

For example, here's a comment I just found on my article about copyright violations on Pinterest:

(But in fact the "Pin It" button was added to Hubpages without my permission after my article was published.)

Why would I not want this Pin? Am I crazy? Don't I want the traffic? Sure! But there's problems to consider:

-- He didn't ask if he could create a duplicate of my article, which causes duplicate content issues. (An excerpt doesn't concern me much, but on some sites, that could trip the duplicate content filter and get my article locked, depending on how much he excerpted.)

More importantly:

-- The "Pin" includes the image on my hub. It's NOT my artwork. It's a Creative Commons photo which I am legally allowed to use, according to its image license, because I credited and linked to the original artist. All 50+ pins of my article credit and link that image to ME, which breaks the Creative Commons license of that image and fails to credit its artist. There are now copies of this artwork hosted on Pinterest and credited to the wrong person, because Pinterest members took it from my Hub.

-- Pinterest provides embed codes so that anyone can display images found on Pinterest on their own websites. I found over thirteen million examples of people doing this with just one Google search. In a majority of the cases I looked at, the images were NOT credited or credited to the wrong source (I saw a "Google" and a "Bing"). These "found on Pinterest" blogs and websites earn money through advertising and affiliate links.

The "Sublicense" part of Pinterest's Terms of Use covers its legal butt over these embed codes.

3. jenniferrpovey profile image76

Hrm. Yes, I read it again.

So.

It is actually a violation of Pinterest's terms of use for somebody to pin our pages without permission...but by adding the button, HubPages has granted permission on our behalf, after the fact. Without our permission. Hubpages has *always* been favorable to writers in terms of the actual treatment of our content as *ours*.

I understand the desire to create traffic. I am also far, far FAR from a copyright Nazi. I don't care about people re-sharing my images, all of which are mine...if they give me credit.

(Anyone know how I can find out if stuff of mine has been pinned without making an account, at which point I would be agreeing to this stuff).

Here, in contrast, is the equivalent paragraph from Facebook (and we all know how evil Facebook is)

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

Does not include the word SELL, and specifically ends when you delete the content. These kinds of agreements are normal. Pinterest's is badly written. And if their system does not carry credit with images correctly, then it's going to get their users into trouble.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Can I get some, put some, perspective on this.

First off, if I find myself reading small print then life really has got too boring for words.  I work on the assumption, foolish though it may be, that people aren't always trying to rip me off.

Secondly. People are always trying to rip me off. As soon as I type a word or load a picture, someone somewhere will be scraping into their dodgy website - aiming to make some money off the back of my hard work.

I can't do much about that.

So my angle on this is I want attention, traffic and money - and to do that I need to get noticed.

That's it.  No small print.

5. SimeyC profile image88

Something interesting. I just pinned my hub on Pinterest to try out something.

I added:

© Simeycook . hubpages . com   

(Spaces added for the forum so I don't 'cheat'.)

and it actually created a hyperlink - not sure if it's a no follow link - but if you pin your articles you can at least provide a link back to the 'picture' owner....

6. jenniferrpovey profile image76

I'm concerned about two things: Other people making money off of my work by actually selling it. I don't care if what Pinterest means is 'well, we have ads, so we're making money'. That's different.

The second thing is credit ending up being stripped from images, which Pinterest's system does not *appear* to be handling particularly well.

Really, Pinterest needs to publicly clarify their intent if they want to stop the PR storm.

7. paradigmsearch profile image61

I, for one, am blissfully posting my hubs with their public domain, .gov pics. I'm then doing repins and other .gov pics to round things out. Pinterest will sort itself out or not. If the site eventually dies, I would imagine that I've still collected a few bookmarks, and possibly even some copied-elsewhere links.

8. profile image0
          Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I got an invite to Pinterest, but haven't moved on it.  If I understand this correctly, they want you to join them by signing up through Facebook or Twitter.  Well, I no longer have a Facebook account as of Christmas, and I don't Tweet.  I did email them about getting around the Facebook part because I like being without Facebook, and I certainly don't miss it.  No word back from them, yet.  I don't expect to get a response from them, so when it comes to getting a Pinterest account, I'm probably screwed.  Sure, it would be so nice to get more traffic to my Hubs, but at this point, I'm understanding Google keywords and SEO much better.  Which is a huge jump for me.

If someone sends you an invite, it doesn't matter if you have a FB or Twitter account...

9. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
          Phyllis Doyleposted 12 years ago

Pinterest is a big discussion on another site I write for. Some people are all for it, some are dead-set against it. Before I decide to post any of my own images on HubPages again, I need to learn more about Pinterest, my rights, and their terms.

Here is a link to an article by Galen Moore of the Boston Business Journal about  Pinterest:" How Your Business Could Get Sued By Using Pinterest"
          http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/ … d-for.html

It is worth the read and gives points to consider.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
            Phyllis Doyleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am still thinking about all this.  I do like the idea of more traffic coming my way.  And I have been thinking strongly about drawing my own pictures or own photograph. 

I am swaying here...

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
              Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's easy to sign up amd just watch for a bit, see what sort of things people are posting.  Everything basically.

Your corset hub.  Take the best, possibly the sexiest but definitely the most eye catching picture and put that on.  With a neat caption.

Might get some traffic.

10. nityanandagaurang profile image60
          nityanandagaurangposted 12 years ago

thanks, i joined pinterest,but response is not quite good.

11. vespawoolf profile image92
          vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

After scanning all the comments, it sounds like the jury is still out. As long as it's safe, I'm for anything that increases traffic to our hubs.

12. profile image0

Thank you for your invite, Simey.  I did get it, and I will follow up on yours or any Hubber that gives me a good read.  If I can do that--FINE!  It doesn't look like everyone here is pleased with Pinterest, so I'll keep following the topic.  I like being Facebook-free, and it's gonna take an awful lot for me to establish another account.

13. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Just an update fwiw.

I posted a few pics this morning linked to my hubpages and got a hundred hits.

Small potatoes?

Perfectly adequate, thank you for asking, but that's not the point.

It's not exactly viral, but it's a hundred hits.  These are my pictures so I have no copyright issues to worry about, which maybe kind of where the latest HP blog is angling - do or make your own pictures.

It couldn't be easier to copy an HP address, paste it into Pinterest, choose one from a selection of photos from your hub and... Pin it.

Nothing like Reddit with the link policemen and the people who vote you down. And it's fun.  Really.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
            paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WTG!!! That's 70 more than I've ever got.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
              Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I have put up about twenty photos and links now.  I got lucky with a couple today, one really.  It was liked and shared by someone who maybe has some followers.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
                Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's great, Mark!  I'm also seeing some traffic 10+ to my hubs that had not seen any traffic in a while.  I'm loving pinning. smile

14. paradigmsearch profile image61

Just for the heck of it, I tweeted my humor board. We'll see what that does... Past experience says probably not much, but what the hey. big_smile

15. paradigmsearch profile image61

Simon is a busy guy...big_smile  "331 Pins · 223 Likes"

...and counting LOL!

16. profile image0

Wow!  Simey, do you sleep???

17. paradigmsearch profile image61

Darn it! I posted 2 pics that I thought were guaranteed to go viral. Not even 1 repin. I'm gonna fire up the barbecue and go look for the cat.

1. profile image0

Curious?  How long is the average wait for an official invite from Pinterest so that you can start pinning?

To the best of my recollection, mine was 3 days.

1. profile image0

Thanks!  Guess I'll wait a couple of more days.

2. mary615 profile image84
              mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm still waiting and it's been 5 days.

It was 3 for me. I guess business is booming.

18. paradigmsearch profile image61

Another Pinterest article with a whole slew of relevant links.

"What Pinterest won't tell you"

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/ … 01227.html

1. profile image0

Flickr just disabled all Pinterest pins on copyrighted images.

http://bit.ly/wpEFJe

19. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years ago

After everything I have read about this pinterest, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot stick pin.

Looks like a very, very bad idea to me.

I don't like that on my hubs.  It invites people to steal my pictures.  If it is here at all, it should be opt-in.

20. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

I am still trying to decide whether or not I like the whole Pinterest thing. Most of my friends are on Pinterest and are urging me to join. I like decorating, cooking, entertaining, etc. so I would probably enjoy the site. I wouldn't mind getting more views to my hubs, either.

On the other I don't like the whole stealing possibility. Although it's not like I'm a great photographer, so probably no one would care to steal any of mine.

On another hand (how many hands do I have?) I like being anonymous here. Maybe I should get a pinterest account with a pen name, and one for personal use. But then, sharing hubs with friends is the whole point of doing the social thing.

I keep my FB account strictly social (have never shared hubs on FB), and never bothered joining Twitter. Hmmm. I guess I could get accounts for FB, Twitter and Pinterest with the same pen name.....

21. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I see that pinterest allows websites to prohibit pinning:  http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/22/28064 … r-of-money

It's just a metatag:

meta name="pinterest" content="nopin"

We should have that option for our pages.  I've added it to my own site.  I want nothing to do with this junk.

1. winbo profile image58
            winboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice to hear it!!

1. Pcunix profile image91
              Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Except it does no good here because we can't do that.  Instead, HubPages has decided that we have to have this..

You didn't see the post from Jason where they are testing the code that you pasted - the problem is that they do not know if it works on the subdomain level and need help from Pinterest.

I feel it would be far more useful if those who don't want to be pinned go over the Pinterest and complain - it's not HP who are allowing pictures to be copied this way it's Pinterest.

HP are trying to stop a sub-domain from being pinned so let's give them credit for once instead of complaining about everything they do.

If you are worried about your pictures being copied for profit then only upload files less than 100k - that way the only use is for other aritcles - which anyone can do even without Pinterest...

I noticed that Wizzley allows this on a PER PAGE basis.

I have it OFF on all of my pages there.

This is a bad, bad idea.  If I were just starting with HP, I probably would stop right here.

There 'seem' to more people who think it is a good idea than bad idea - so if the 'no pin' option that HP are working on works then all should be happy.

I am sure that if Wizzley can do it on a page by page basis HP should be able to do it on a sub-domain level.

I note that the Pinterest button is automatically added to Wizzley articles - they were to mine....

Have those people read the terms?

"We may, in our sole discretion, permit Members to post, upload, publish, submit or transmit Member Content. By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services. "

In other words, they can do whatever they want with your pictures FOREVER and sell them to anyone they want.

As to Wizzley, there is a button in edit mode that lets you disallow Pinterest.    Feel free to go see if it works - all of mine are disallowed.

The point is that an image of less than 100k is perfectly adequate for the web but of no use anywhere else - someone can alreay steal these images - the fact that it may appear on Pinterest doesn't make that much difference.

If you are selling your artwork then place a 50k image on an article and have a link to a secure non-pinnable website where you sell your work.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
                          DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's the principle....

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
                        DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean, I have to go through all 200 hubs and individually disable each one????!!!!
                        They need to have a global disallow!  That said, I've just gone and checked--went into edit mode on my top-performing hub--and I see no such edit option.  None of the sharing buttons are visible at all in edit mode...where are you seeing that, Pcunix?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)