Lilith - Adam's First Wife

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (61 posts)
  1. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

Why was Adam's first wife, Lilith, left out of the version of the Bible Chirstians use today.

1. darkside profile image68
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Jedi's didn't want their padawans reading anything related to the Sith.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol    lol    lol    lol    lol    lol    lol    lol

2. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Up till this moment I'd pictured you as a business man type Darkside.

Suddenly my picture is turning... nerdier. big_smile

3. Beelzedad profile image57
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great answer! LOL! big_smile

4. brimancandy profile image78
        brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love your answer! very funny darkside.

However, if there was a lilith, that would blow the whole adam and eve being the first two humans on the planet out of the water.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lilith was an elboration of the Biblical stories trying to explain the apparent two separate creations of a wife in the old testament, and conflating it with the mention of a night demon called Lilith. 

There never was a definitive pre-existing account of Lilith as the first wife of Adam (as opposed to Lilith as a separate minor deity/demon), that idea comes from a later Midrash.  Which is effectively a highly-respected kind of Bible fanfiction.

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not mean to self promote, but I wrote a hub on this very topic. 

I feel there were many reasons why it was left out by the Nicaean council.  One being the fact that Lilith was not made Adam.  That she was considered his equal, and that she more suited in God's image than in Adam's.  It is also a folklore full of sex, cannibalism and demonic activity.  I tell the true Lilith tale in my hub, and I address many of these issues.

Thanks.

4. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where did you get this Lilith person from? Adam's first and only wife was EVE.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only in the modern bible.  Many books have been discarded because they didn't fit "some" believers idea of how the bible should read.  Nothing new.  Many biblical books have been discarded or changed in this manner.  smile

2. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

read back and you'll find out where Lilith's story can be found. Eve was the second woman in Adam's life.

1. Dave Mathews profile image61

Try backing your statement up with fact. Where in the bible is this found exactly?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

Which Bible are you referring to, Dave? There are many versions and interpretations of books claiming to be written by men "inspired by god".  Can you tell any of us how these authors or interpreters were tested to see if they were actually inspired by some god or another?  Any example would be welcome.  smile

My Bible is the King James Version.

1. profile image0

History Channel's Banned from the Bible documentary series. This particular chapter covers the story of Lilith and Adam.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzlEpSr4 … re=related

That is not Biblical and does not appear in Bible Text neither the Torah nor the New Testamant writings of the Holy Bible. Therefore your claim is false. I do not accept it as biblically proven.

1. profile image0

You haven't even seen the video and are too quick to reply, Dave. God didn't write the bible, there were many books available and the compilation of the old testament was done by people, not by Jesus or God. Being close-minded is what has brought our human race to this point of no return. I'm not saying that I'm 100% right on anything. I'm just saying, there is more to the story than what the bible teaches. That's all.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

You would have been perfect for King James' group of scholars. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

What proof do you have the men compiling this particular version of the bible were inspired by god and not because of the personal beliefs of the compilers at the time?

Did god personally tell them some books should be kept and others would be thrown out?  These men, chosen by the then King James (who was himself an abomination according to your bible) used a certain criteria in judging these books. 

but one thing is for sure, it was not because god told them it was the real story.  I suggest you study exactly how your own particular version was compiled to understand the times these men lived in and their reasons for deciding as they did, and not simply because the preacher said they were inspired by god  smile

They didn't like the story describing Lilith, so they chose to not include it in their version.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Maybe because people write stories to fit their liking? hmm

1. kmackey32 profile image65
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

Because Lilith didn't exist

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

says you

4. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/eve-women/7evelilith.html

if you read the story you can see how it doesn't flow with the bible. Most of it wouldn't make sense to an idiot. There is much in this story that contradicts bible truths. The lilith story is a bunch of crap and doesn't deserve to be in the bible.

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What? if this lilith story is "true", than it most definately should fit in with the rest of the "truths" lmao

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Pink, the story of Jesus didn't fit either, but those who made Christianity made it fit by leaving out necessary things for understanding. wink tongue smile

2. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thats why i gave you the link, if you can believe this story then you will believe anything. lmao2x

5. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Ah! Lilith! The first true feminist!

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Coupla reasons:

1. Adam and Lilith were way ahead of their time. They got DIVORCED, a concept not recognized by the Church until many centuries later, when King Henry VIII "re"introduced it.

2.Lilith was BFF with Mary Magdalene. Mary on her own was too much of a threat for the Apostles. When Lilith was around -- oh brother. roll

7. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

file:///C:/Users/Mark/Downloads/lilith.jpg

She was the first goth chick and quite a goer.  No wonder the church denies her existence!

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh bottom, I messed up the link, somebody google her for me and post her image please.

8. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

http://vampirelegends.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/lilith-jpg.gif

9. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

Oh I need to be educated on the bible, who is Eve in relation to this woman Lilith, I thought Eve was the first woman here on earth.

and did Eve and Adam had children? and who is the second woman to be born aside form Eve, did she get pregnant by her brothers to procreate, do they have incest before?

wow, lynnechandler, she is sexy but isn't it the women before are shorter and plump, that snake is of course lucky, LOL

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a victorian era painting, not a portrait wink

1. wildorangeflower profile image60
        wildorangeflowerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh ok, I thought that during Victorian era women bosom are bigger, this seems like a woman in our times now.

1. profile image0
          lynnechandlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is just a depiction of what she might have looked like. No one knows and there are many many versions of it out there.

2. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then read just the bible. The canonization is good, approved of god. The OT is perfect the way it is. If you find some stories that were omitted thats because people better qualified and equipped to do so, have taken them out, like the apocrypha and the never canonized pseudopigrapha books. Sure Ethiopia may have the enoch book in it, but no offense to ethopians (around that time or after) but the majority of knowledgeable scholars apt to dissect the book and make qualified decisions concerning is canonicity were not in ethiopia.
      If you can't back up a new testament verse according to the old testament then its wrongly interpreted. The old testament and the new testament are not broken, there is no new thing under the sun. If you find something in the new testament it will be confirmed in the old testament. Never can just one verse be used by itself, the bible will always have more than one verse confirming another verse to establish truth.

10. renskei profile image59
    renskeiposted 13 years ago

In the Bible, Adam was the first man and the forefather of the entire human race. He lived a total of 930 years. He was created in a state of innocence and in the image of God. He was also created with the appearance of age, with a high level of intelligence, and with the ability to communicate with God. When he and his wife eve, fell into sin, they brought the curse of sin on the entire human race,
            In Genesis 4:1-2 " And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.
          Verse 2 " And she again bare his brother Abel. and Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

11. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

So basically Lilith was "unspeakably naughty" yet it was fine for Eve to try and give her husband a bad apple?

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beware of meek wives! Have you forgotten about Lorena Bobbit?  lol

2. profile image0

Lillith wasn't naughty. She was self-confident. That's how she knew she had to get out of that abusive relatgionship. Eve was the first neurotic wife... that's for sure!

12. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Read the book Jubiliees.  I don't have it in front of me but I think that is how it is spelled.

1. profile image0

About?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's where the story appears.

1. profile image0

The real story or the church's version of how lilith became a demon for being disobedient?

The Church's version?  Haven't ever came across a church's version.  The biblical, Hebrew story..., the ancient original Hebrew text about Lilith, is in the ancient Hebrew book Jubiliees.  I don't know what version you are speaking of, but, I only know of this one.  If there is a church version out there, my guess is it's a knock off from this original.  So I'd read the original.  That's precisely why I listed the name of the book, so readers would know where to find the story and the answers they seek for themselves.  That way nobody is guessing.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry Intimate... I haven't read the book. I learned about her through some documentaries I watched years ago. I don't know who to blame for turning the first woman who had enough UTERUS (Can't say balls) to put a stop to that abusive Adam, into a female owl-like flying demon responsible for the death of newborns. Whether it was the jews or the christians version of how the first man and woman came to be, it's as questionable as the accounts given by the Spaniards about the first Native American tribes they met.

13. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

LOL, when I talk about my daughter Lily, I rarely mention her full name which is Lilith Kai.  The Kai is the femalization of her older brother's name.  That would have been Kaine. 

And I believe the original Lilith's sin was "willfullness"

1. profile image0

It's a pretty name if you ask me. big_smile

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69

She would not submit to Adam sexually.  If that is what you mean by willfulness, then yes.  She has been credited as the first feminist in history, in some circles of teaching.

14. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

Was Lilith also made from one of Adam's ribs?  If so, it is good that Adam didn't have a harem, because he would have ended up with his head attached to his pelvis.

No.  She was created from the same stock that Adam was.  That is actually the significance of Eve being made from his rib.  That was God's way pleasing Adam.

15. profile image51
    sonyjhaaposted 12 years ago

I have no idea about this.

16. profile image51
    sonyjhaaposted 12 years ago

I want to know what is the correct answer?

17. Emveme7 profile image60
    Emveme7posted 12 years ago

Pretty simple if you think about it. When Constatine gathered priests from all religous (sic) groups to put together a book that would make sense and conform to the current way of thinking many things were left out. Lilith was the first to go. If you look at the first book of Genesis 1:27 thats Lilith and further on 2:18 is where Eve came into the picture. Lilith was Adam's equal in all things and being so.., well she was stubborn. Being an equal she wanted equal power and be recognized by God as such, she wasn't going for the subserviant crap. God banished her from Eden. Only to be begged to go back to Adam because he was missing her. By then she had been taken by the Un-Holy one and knew what freedom was to a degree and refused. (The Angels Sansanui, Sanuy, and Samangaluf were sent to find Lilith and bring her back for Adam)

Now, if they were to keep Lilith in the Bible when it firsy came about it would put all women equal to men and that would never do. So man dispatched Lilith the same way God did. You can find parts of her story in the Torah, Koran, and other "less Christen" books. The songs we sing for our babies are based on Lilith "Lullabye's" were sung to babes to keep her away. Before God gave her the boot he put her in charge of all small children until their 9th week and she was planning on duing havoc on any child born of man. That is until the three Angels got her to agree to leave babes alone that had their sign, amulet, over the crib. Those she would not touch. In some places songs were replaced instead of the amulet.

Sorry, I do go on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)