Why do atheists fear death?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (99 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Theologianposted 13 years ago

More than the other theistic beliefs?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

probably because they allegedly know there is no after life, and when they die they'll cease to exist.  whereas people of faith do believe in an after life, so there's always a promise of life after death that gives people hope.

1. Friendlyword profile image61
        Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that actually you Stevie?

1. profile image0

yep it sure is.  smile

2. britneydavidson profile image60
        britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i can say no one die, actually soul live one costume ( body ) and take new costume or birth or body

3. shsaad profile image56
        shsaadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We cease to exist everytime we go to sleep.Our consciousness totally gone.People can see our body but they cannot interact with us so that condition is as good as non exist.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But we are still experiencing things.  We dream, we hear sound.  Just because we do not interact does not mean our consciousness is gone.  It is merely directed elsewhere, internally I would say, although I'm sure some will argue it's travelling the planes or whatever else.  Which is fine, my point is that you're consciousness is not gone just because you are asleep.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only time consciousness is completely lost is when the brain ceases to function and one is brain dead. hmm

There's some people around here who have that condition, and yet somehow their fingers keep mashing the keys.  How do you explain that?

1. Cagsil profile image70

lol lol lol

I explain that by a very, very, very limited consciousness. These people seem to think they are alive, but are emulating the animals reactions to that of nature. Kind of like those of 2000+ years ago.

The illiterate, almost unconscious, responses that dwell on external authority, like that 2000+ years ago time, continue to locate the keys.

Granted, even the barely conscious humans at that time, could write, even though they were not fully conscious of their own existence. Hence, why there is scriptures for the bible and every other religion of the world.

Like amoebas and stuff?  You know, that makes it almost cool.  Like communicating with aliens or something.

I'll take the or something for $1000 lol

Dude, I would hella pay $1000 bucks to talk to aliens.  big_smile

2. profile image0
              gooberpyleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that waz funnie he haw he haw!

2. ddsurfsca profile image69
      ddsurfscaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

because they have no belief system to cope with the haunting question of what happens and where do we go after death.  It can be a very scary situation if you don't know what is going to be your destiny.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"because they have no belief system to cope with the haunting question of what happens and where do we go after death."

Uh, yes, they do. Or most of them, anyway. They believe that when you die, you're dead. That's all she wrote.

I suppose it's possible to be an atheist and still believe that people have souls or spirits or some other thing that  continues after physical death, but I've never met full-on atheist who believed in ghosts.

"It can be a very scary situation if you don't know what is going to be your destiny."
        I think it's scary for atheists because they don't want to cease to exist.It's scary for theists because no matter what, there's no way to be really sure  you backed the right horse until you cross the finish line, so to speak.

3. getitrite profile image73
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a broad generalization, tinged with inaccuracies.

I have observed that the fear of death is universal to all living organisms.  It is innate, and a necessary important trait for survival.

I don't think atheist fear death any more than theist.

1. profile image0

geterwrong organizzamz iz askard o dyin' naw really ,you talk to the little animalz i had a couzin who used to do that usual after he'd been out to the cow pasture huntin' up some o them mushroomez,had to catch ol limb witf a butterfly net.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A true atheist does not fear death in the sense you imply here, as in going to hell etc.... She or he looks at it like a natural thing that just happens,

they do not want it or the pain of it like any normal human, they enjoy life and living.  But they hold no Christian concept or perception about it.

I have meet personally only two who were truly that,  so far in my life, and they both seemed, to me anyway,  very relaxed about it.

1. profile image0

butt ya say they iz abbynormal normaly,yeh ya get real relaxed when ya hit the end o yer rope.suweeeee,suweeeee.

5. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

they do??

6. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

On what evidence to you base this assertion?

I would question that it is true at all.

7. Dark knight rides profile image59
      Dark knight ridesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As an atheist, I have no fear of death. All things that live must die. I take joy in the time I have right now, knowing that this is all that I have available.

8. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't. And I am definitely not a theist. smile

9. profile image52
      jim4digitsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't care for believing in things I eat, drink, work, love, see cool sunsets, get a thrill out of roller coasters, don't really care for religion but am polite to those that do, give spare change at the convient store (in whatever jar happens to be closest to me) ,hold my babies cause I love'em and will be happy when I die as I am today. Peace.

10. pylos26 profile image68
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

theo wrote: why do atheist hate death?...

Cus they have to get all dressed up for the occasion?

11. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one wants to die, if they do they commit suicide. everyone fears it. If you go hold your breath underwater for a long time, your body naturally is fearful.

But right now, no I am not fearing it. I am not looking forward to it however. But its cool to think that there is a real possibility of something happening when you die. Not being spiritual, but no one knows for sure what happens. Hell you might just die an thats it, but its still cool to think about my life outside the box.

12. Adroit Alien profile image67
      Adroit Alienposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why do mice fear cats?
      are mice atheists?

2. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

All athiests?That's a rather all encompassing statement.I'm curios,how did you come to that conclusion...?

1. profile image0
      Theologianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because its true.

1. profile image0

yeah, but how did you find that out to be true though.  did you take a poll and ask atheists this?  or did you read it in a book or something.  seriously, i know you didn't just wake up with that information over night.

1. Anesidora profile image61
          Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God told him...

2. Susana S profile image93
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know any athiests that fear death and I know a lot. Your *assumption* is unfounded.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
          wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Susana.  Good to see you.  Not gonna join in the discussion, though.  Sorry to interrupt, just wanted to say howdy.

1. Susana S profile image93
            Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey! I'll email you rather than chat here.

Edit - oh I can't. Email me then smile If you want to of course.

2. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think religious-folk often cling to their beliefs because they fear death (or rather that they think they are going to hell if they don't believe).  I know someone that was relieved a family member was converted before they died, because they believed they were going to hell, and were very upset at that prospect

3. Adroit Alien profile image67
        Adroit Alienposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Buddhists, by definition, are atheists. Buddhists do no fear death because they believe in reincarnation. Therefore, all atheists do no fear death. Don't generalize. You could meet someone like me and be humbled.

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Fear death ? BS. Life looks way too good because it's one-shot.

4. aguasilver profile image69
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

When I was an atheist I never actually feared death, just the manner of death! - like Woody Allen I just did not want to be there!

Any atheist who feared death should reexamine their standpoint, for if you believe in oblivion upon death, why fear?

Possibly more importantly, why waste this life,(if it's the ONLY one you will have) trying to debate believers?

As a new believer in Christ someone said "Don't you get excited thinking about eternal life" and my reply was "All I want is to get the demons of my back in this one"

I'm pleased to say that I did get the demons off my back, and now (18 years later) I do look forward to eternity!

"if you believe in oblivion upon death, why fear?"
      Because you don't want to stop existing.

I don't think it's a fear of death per se, but more of an "I don't want my life to end" kind of thing.

5. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

i dont think there is any data on which one can conclude that atheist fear death..

6. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

In the physical world ..  I you can imagine it .. it can be.

What if an after life is dependent upon imagining it to be before, we get there.

If you imagine nothing and darkness then that is what you have created or yourself? 

In this lie and afterwards.

Gotta go make a living now...  be back later.

7. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Who says we fear death?

I have been insituations where I thought my death was imminent several times in the course of my life.  In each case, I was calm and not fearful.

Fear comes when you have choices and you are not sure what to do.  If somebody is threatening me with a gun, I'll be afraid.  Should I run, attack, talk?  Who knows?

But riding as a passenger in a speeding car about to ignore a red light and  enter a busy intersection is a bit different.  So is drowning.  I have been in both those situations and had only mild regret, not fear.

Those are immediate situations.  You might say they are too quick.  But it goes beyond the immediate.

I'm 62 years old. Although I have excellent genetics behind me, I certainly understand that death is not all that far away for me.  I don't fear it.  I fear losing my health, yes, but not death.

I can't speak for other atheists (and you certainly cannot either), but THIS atheist has no fear of death.

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I am irreligious and in no way do I fear death.

Instead, I enjoy my youth knowing that I may not be able to fully enjoy my old age. When I reach old age I will still enjoy my old age, in the knowledge that my life is not eternal. It is those who bank on an eternal existance and deny that their time is limited who fear death my friend, those who accept that their is an end are those with the courage to accept death as the end to the beginning.

I live for today, I make sure that I make the most of my time on earth - earth is my heaven. If I discover that life is eternal upon 'death' then what have I lost? Nothing.

I would fear eternal life, if I believed in it, much more than I fear death. If I have any fear of death then it is a fear of an early death, as an early death would mean less time in my heaven. Yesterday I was put to sleep for surgery. I had no fear of not waking up, I actually had a fear of waking up during surgery. That was a fear of pain.

Those that believe in an after life are expecting something great to happen, expecting to find themselves in a paradise. I would suggest that we are already in paradise....

http://www.bltc.com/action.jpg
    http://www2.hiren.info/desktopwallpapers/natural/diamond-lake_paradise_new-zealand.jpg
    http://www.widerange.org/images/large/plitvickaParadise.jpg
    http://www.paradisechamber.com/Paradise-Lake-gh.jpg
    http://www.realty-northwest.com/SandersCoTowns/Paradise/Paradise1Lg.jpg
    http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/11/beautiful_scenery_sc64.jpg
    http://aapo.iki.fi/alps97/dolomiit.jpg
    http://www.interweb.in/attachments/pc-wallpapers/15833d1222075820-nature-wallpaper-beautiful-scenery-4884.jpg

Welcome to heaven, respect it and enjoy it whilst you have the time. There are many many others who will get their time on paradise, make sure that you experience as much of it as you can before its somebody elses time to jump on the ride.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"It is those who bank on an eternal existance and deny that their time is limited who fear death my friend"

Your entire post comes down to this.

"Nuh-uh you are"

Fine job.

9. Anesidora profile image61
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

Lovely pictures, Ryan, and some absolutely breath-taking.

To the OP, I don't fear death either. I'm also not eagerly looking forward to it as the grand solution to the world's problems either.

I just prefer to live among the living, and -when it's time- to lie down with the dead.

10. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

There are no atheists! period! Only those who who think they are because they don't understand.
    Death is not to be feared. Dying is the fearful part.

What a piece of condescending garbage this statement is. 

You don't know anything with any more certainty than anyone else.  In fact, I would argue that arrogant certainty of the magnitude your comment represents indicates a lack of wisdom at least proportionate to that which you pretend.

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shades:
        Wow! I love the passion, the emotion registered in that response!   :-)
        Of course there are no atheists!
        The definition of "atheism" is: "to deny the existence of god/s."
        How can one deny the "existence" of that which is only imagined?
        There is nothing, "factual" to deny.
        One can deny the "concept" of "god/s."
        This "god thing" is metaphysical in nature. "It" cannot be "known." "It" cannot be defined in any manner but opinion and conjecture. "It exists only in hope and guess."
        One can "deny" the CONCEPT of "god/s" but not of this "god thing" that is but an unknown, undefined supernatural divinity that exists only in the minds of the superstitious and fearful, primitive human mind.
        One can be an "aconcepttheist," but not an "atheist." One can "think" he is because he hasn't thought it out to a logical conclusion.
        Qwark

1. aguasilver profile image69
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I surely hope that you are right, you intrigue me slightly and I will read more of your hubs.

I personally (you know) am one of those monotheist folk you seem to despise, though (reading your profile) I wonder why?

If what I have found to be truth for me is correct, so be it, if you are correct, so be it, I enjoy my time here on earth and fear nothing about death except perhaps the manner in which I will pass, but in reality even that will be finite in time and short compared to my joyous times during my life.

Personally I would wonder if I were the ONLY person who believed what I held to be truth, but you seem content so there is no problem.

I wish you a long and healthy life, and hopefully a pleasant surprise when you pass from here.

1. qwark profile image59

Hi Aqua:
            I don't hate monotheists!
            I hate monotheism!
            I have monotheist friends. They understand me and I them.
            I accept and respect them as brother human beings.
            We speak of our differences of "opinions" but when the conversation ends, we are still friends who agree to disagree.
            You don't agree with me, but, as yet, I haven't added you to my "no response" list because you have been civil with your responses. I respect that.       :-)
            "May the force be with you."  :-)
            Qwark

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

Using your definition, your question is--as is so often and endlessly the case on either side of this ontological debate on these forums--operating under a logical fallacy.

Let me break it down into its basic syllogistic form so we can look at the assumption that is ruining your argument:

Major premise: Things must actually exist before they can be "denied"

Minor premise: God does not exist (he is imaginary)

Conclusion: God cannot be denied.

This is the syllogistic underpinning of your argument regarding atheists being "no such thing."  Your point that Atheists can't deny something that does not exist relies on the syllogistic logic I just described.  But your logic relies on the assumption that god does not exist, which you can't prove.  So, your statement leaps ahead of itself, relying on your own assumption as the "reason" for why your statement is true.  You are, in essence, saying, "God does not exist because he does not exist."  That is begging the question. 

Which takes me back to my original point about arrogance, because the only "authority" you have to support your claim is your own, and, when stated in the manner of such finality as your opening post, it cannot help but come off as arrogance and pseudo-wisdom.

The rest of your "support" for your argument is gobbly-gook that runs circles around the broken logic from which you begin.  I'll try to show you why.

Says who?  Where is your facts that prove there is nothing factual to deny?  God-lovers have the advantage of you're not being able to prove a negative. You can't prove there is NOT something.  YOu can only prove there IS something.  This part of your argument is as fallacious as the overall claim.
          Yes.
            Just as a point of distinction, you are describing what is epistemological in nature here.  You left metaphysics when you finished the claim from just above. How we know something is completely different than whether something is or is not. The former is epistemology the latter ontology (or metaphysics).

This is nearly incomprehensible and could have used some revisions before you entered it for clarity, however, "One can deny the CONCEPT of 'god/s'" is grossly true if we allow for trying to get at your meaning within the charitable confines of a friendly debate.  Here it appears you are saying it is possible to deny an idea.  I don't believe that faster-than-light travel is possible. Or,  I don't believe the world is round. Etc. I can deny ideas and concepts. Especially ones that can be proved.

However, where this falls apart is that you are saying, bascially, "I have an idea about magical beings that I call God," and you can hear me say that and say, "No, I deny your idea."  Which is fine, and you are correct.  The problem is that this is not the same as denying the existence of an actual God, the "god thing" you are referring to. Denying the existence of God is not denying the idea. Here's why:

To begin, you are making a double-negative in your claim.  Your claim in simple form is thus: There is NO such thing as atheists because there is NO such thing as God for them to disbelieve. 

I can drop the negatives and make the following claim just as easily:  There IS a such thing as atheists because there IS a god for them to disbelieve.

What either claim lacks is actual proof.  Which takes us back to the syllogistic point I made up top.

Toss all that out on a pompous sounding opening post, and voila, you get the reaction from me that you did.

Yes, the irony here is palpable.

Love,

Shadesbreath

1. qwark profile image59

I LOVE IT SHADES!
            " But your logic relies on the assumption that god does not exist, which you can't prove."

You missed the point entirely.
            When you can define this "god thing" for us in any form but opinion and conjecture, I'll be happy to admit that I was wrong and recant.I have no idea what you are referring to except as "it" relates to whatever you imagine "it" to be.
            I cannot "argue" about that which cannot be defined for me in any other form than opinion and conjecture.
            Once you can provide, not proofs of this "god thing," but just a good sound logical defintion of it that removes it from the realm of naught but imagination, we can carry on this chat.
            Until then there is no "syllogism" to consider.
            Thanks for the response tho....:-)

More bad logic.  Here's why.
              Any form other than opinion and conjecture would have to be fact.  You are saying here that I must come up with a definition of god that is fact, because you don't want opinion or conjecture.  Fact, by definition, requires proof.  Which is fine, you can ask for that if you like.  If I can't provide proof of god, you can say, "You have not proved God, I still do not believe in him."  I wouldn't blame you.  But you can't pretend that you are not asking for actual proof of God here.  You are.  I just don't think you realize it yet.

Given what I have said in the previous section, this part from you is meaningless, because you have attempted to set a trap using your logical fallacy.  You will never have to admit that you are wrong, because there is no way to refer to God in anything other than language intended to describe something that is not known or verifiable.  Your requirement of "defined in any other form than opinion and conjecture" leaves only verifiable evidence. Which you then try to deny in what you write next:

No, that is exactly what you are demanding, proof, because you have told me that opinion and conjecture are not allowed, and by inference also hypothesis, imagination, theory, postulate, deeply informed philosophical treatise, and anything else related to opinion, idea and conjecture.

What else is there but me sitting God down on the table in front of you?

The syllogism remains perfectly intact, it's just that you haven't caught up to it yet.  You're still mired in the thick mud of your word games. 

The problem is that you don't realize that you have placed yourself (you can even read "humans" in place of just "you" if you like) at the center of the conversation, as if somehow what you believe or have been convinced of has anything to do with the existence or non-existence of God.  There either is or is not a God. Whether you/me/anyone can ever describe it to you in words that satisfy you, or even prove it or disprove it some other way is another thing entirely.

1. qwark profile image59

Hahaha...awww Shades, I wouldn't even consider proof of anything until it can be defined in any manner other than opinion and conjecture. Syllogistics are not even involved here.
                Now c'mon, give me a quote from any monotheistic tome or from any source you pick that defines this imagined god in any other
                form than "guess."
                Jeff berndt has it: " Flying pink unicorns don't exist. They are purely imaginary."
                You are fun tho Shades. As long as you remain civil, I'll always read and respond to your replies.   :-)
                Qwark

They are, but I'm not going to try to convince you of it.  I'll just point out, again, that your original statement "that athiests don't exist" relied on our being able to prove that god exists by presenting an argument to you that includes a definition of God in which God has already been proved thereby eliminating "ideas" and "imagination" and "opinion and conjecture."  That's what you said.  I think you're running from that now, which is fine. I don't blame you, given how sandy the foundation is for that little ontological house.  big_smile

The possible constructions of human language and symbols that I could use to define God for you are literally infinite. Quoting one from any random era's religious text would be as good as quoting any other. I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

Likewise. smile

1. qwark profile image59

Shades:
                    "They are, but I'm not going to try to convince you of it.  I'll just point out, again, that your original statement "that athiests don't exist" relied on our being able to prove that god exists by presenting an argument to you that includes a definition of God in which God has already been proved thereby eliminating "ideas" and "imagination" and "opinion and conjecture."
                    I can't even consider that statement. Any comment you present with the word "proof" in it makes the comment unconsiderable.
                    We're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it at that...
                    Thanks...:-)
                    Qwark

3. Jeff Berndt profile image73

"How can one deny the "existence" of that which is only imagined?"

Like this: Flying pink unicorns don't exist. They are purely imaginary.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

1. qwark profile image59

Exactly!

4. profile image0

wow.

In a recent survey, people do not fear death, they fear the sickness before death.  I would love to cite the research but it was in a radio interview.  Surely, I wouldn't convince you anyway, your fairytale is so contrived, I'm not sure reason would be a weapon of any strength.

2. profile image0

haha, there are no atheists? That's a bold remark.

11. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

We don't need to fear death any more than we should fear life. We just should fear to lose that precious life of ours.

12. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I'm not an atheist.

I also don't fear death either. I've accepted the fact that one day I will die.

13. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 13 years ago

I certainly hope there is no afterlife as I cannot imagine a more horrifying vision than to be stuck in the same place with you for all eternity.

1. qwark profile image59

amen

14. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

One does not have to be an atheist to believe in an alternative afterlife to the conventional monotheist version (call it heaven, nirvana, whatever).
    If you don't believe in god/God but believe in reincarnation, you can quite easily approach death without fear, but with faith that next time you will come back as something cool. Like maybe a pink unicorn big_smile

15. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry but this thread made me laugh. 

What's to fear?  It is my understanding that Atheists don't believe in anything.  So what's to fear? 

I actually think it would be freeing.  Unlike being Christian, where you are constantly worrying about salvation; whether its your salvation, their salvation, her salvation, his salvation, my salvation, the neighbor Joe's salvation, etc..... 

Yeah, I'm thinking that kind of freedom might be nice.  They have nothing to fear when they die.  What could be more peaceful than that? There is no judgment day for them.

1. profile image0

Atheists don't believe in death?

A theist believes there is something else after death. They can be content with that. An atheist believes that death is the cessation of life and there is nothing after.

If you had something precious and you were going to have it taken from you, there'd be disappointment right? But if you knew you were going to get something better as a replacement, that would make you happy.

Would it still make you happy if you learned it was false? hmm

Just curious.

As I said, I'm no atheist and don't fear death. I once believed my father who died went to heaven, but that was in the early years of my life before my research of religion.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73

"Atheists don't believe in death?"

Explain the logic leading to that conclusion, please? Because nothing IE said seems to indicate that the conclusion is a valid one.

Atheists believe in death in the same way that atheists "believe in" gravity. It happens; they see it happening in the world all the time.

The rest of your post makes sense, though.

1. profile image0

IntimatEvolution had said "It is my understanding that Atheists don't believe in anything."

Thats why I asked "Atheists don't believe in death?" wink

Atheists don't need to have a belief in death. They KNOW death is the end of their life. Birth begins life and Death ends life as we know it. Anything beyond death is conjecture at best.

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spot on.
      Someone else's opinion of which fairy is gonna zap me after I'm dead is very much NOT on my mind. smile

1. aguasilver profile image69
        aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope its not suddenly relevant one second after you die as well! smile

1. earnestshub profile image80

That hope is as certain as taxes!
          No signal, no god. smile

16. enterthehole profile image57
    entertheholeposted 13 years ago

Broad generalisations aren't often very accurate.
    I can understand someone with no belief in God fearing lack of existence for eternity more than death itself. The notion of not existing for ever with no hope whatsoever of entering into life again is possibly the single most terrifying thing a living being can contemplate. Never to experience anything again. Missing out on absolutely everything that will ever happen. Scary. But that thought applies to Christians, Atheists, Muslims, anyone with a mind to think about what it really means.
    I don't think Atheists fear death more than anyone else. They definitely have no hope for a solution to the inevitable end that their belief leads them to though, which is a very sad thing.

"They definitely have no hope for a solution to the inevitable end that their belief leads them to though, which is a very sad thing."

I dunno. Which is sadder: the atheist having no hope of eternal life and therefore making the most of this one, or the theist expecting eternal life if only you act a certain way, and going around trying to make other people act like you think they ought to so they can live forever too?

IF the theist is right about everything, that is, a) there is in fact an afterlife, b) it is in fact ruled by a deity, c) the deity in question is in fact the theist's chosen deity, d) the deity in question will in fact decide whether each person gets rewarded or punished in the afterlife, and e) the theist is in fact correct about what said deity wants people to do to ensure reward or avoid punishment, then
      Conclusion: the atheist's life is sadder.

But again (and again and again, ad nauseam) there is no way to know which is the case until after you die!

Therefore, I choose not to try to make people miserable in this life. Of course, as a theist who believes that God wants us not to make each other miserable, I have a fairly easy time of it. (Of course, I could be wrong, and I might be going to Hell for all those shrimp, crawdads, and crabs that I've eaten over the years --oh, and that lobster that one time!--, but that's my problem.)

17. wilsonallen01 profile image59
    wilsonallen01posted 13 years ago

Because they believe that there is nothing after death..

18. profile image48
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Why do atheists fear death?

They fear death because they know they won't have any share in the hereafter.

LOL.  Yes, all atheists live in absolute terror knowing that they are not going to be part of the thing they don't believe in.

Awesome piece of logic there.

You know, I've heard that many atheists also wear Kevlar vests under their clothes to protect them from being gored by unicorns, which they also don't believe in, but are very frightened of.  Mark Knowles actually has a full suit of chainmail that he wears at all times for this reason.  Just ask him.

1. profile image48
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure of that? I don't believe you.

I'm sure.  Mark Knowles is deathly afraid of the unicorns he doesn't believe in.  All atheists are.  Everyone who studies these things knows this.

1. profile image48
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe you

19. profile image57
    rvantongposted 13 years ago

I don't think I fear death any more than the next person. Honestly, I never really think about it.
    I do make a point of having as much fun as I can right here and now though, because I know I'm not going to get a second shot at this.

I don't fear death. I fear boredom.

20. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Heaven is a halfpipe!

21. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

It doesn't matter what anybody believes about what happens after death ( i think that is the point of this post). It is what we do with the life we have now that matters and IF:
    There is no God .. the atheist and unsaved would be grateful but they won't be conscious enough to acknowledge it.
    There is a God... well the atheist and unsaved can hope their digested food is not all sitting around their ankles.

lol lol lol

You miss the entire point.  Non believers will suffer eternal torture.  They will be TOTALLY  "conscious enough to acknowlege it".  If you don't serve GOD, he condemns you to burning agony that never ends for all eternity.  Your poorly spent 20 or 80 years on this planet will earn you a length of time so unendingly miserable we don't even have mathematical exponents capable of describing how long you will suffer and writhe in inexorable misery.  God loves you, but he writes you off really, really easily.

22. profile image48
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

They fear death because they know they won't have any share in the hereafter.

1. earnestshub profile image80

Who told you that? Your god I suppose! lol

2. Joe Badtoe profile image60
      Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"They fear death because they know they won't have any share in the hereafter."  THEY??? are we alians too?

oh I see so you're looking forward to dying just to get a share of the prophets (geddit). Bit greedy and selfish and dare I say unchrisitna of you.

Unless of course hereafter is a religious pie.

Either way I'm still clinically insane.

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
        Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my spelling my mixed up words my unsound mind!!

I mean Aliens and Unchristian

3. Amanda Severn profile image95
      Amanda Severnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That doesn't make sense. If an Atheist knows he won't have any share in the hereafter, he must believe that there is a hereafter, in which case he isn't an Atheist.

23. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

"When the fear of the pain in life,becomes greater than the fear of the pain in death,man will chose death every time...H D Thoreau
    I'd say that pretty much applies to everybody...wouldn't you?

24. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 13 years ago

I am very religious and I do not fear death. I believe I will live out my purpose until God chooses to recall my spirit for its purpose beyond this underworld we call Earth. As for those who feel entitled to speak for God, I believe such people will judge themselves as they are at last freed from the physical antithesis of the spirit they call life. I don't believe God will judge us because I believe God loves us all equally and unconditionally.

25. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I'm an atheist and I don't fear death at all.

If you talk to anyone who works at a cosmopolitan old folks home they will generally tell you that religious people fear death much more than atheists. 

It's also been statistically people that people who know people are praying for them do worse after an operation because of stress.

When it comes to death though atheists know that it's the end, but Christians, ahh well, they are about to be judged?

I'm not 100% sure where the fear comes from, but after talking to the people who deal with those close to death of a day to day basis, in three of the places I have lived the local pub has been close to an old folks home, it IS the Christians who fear death.

Now, here I would like to say something, why don't you try doing some research, maybe read a book other than the bible, look at the numerous studies and blind studies that have been done for these kinds of things. When you make statements like you just did, it just makes you look ridiculous.

26. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Why assume that they do fear death?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)