Are you sure you're a writer??

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (42 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I've been going through some self-doubt recently and wonder if I am alone.  Sometimes it just seems so overwhelming.
    Thanks.

2. travelespresso profile image67
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Hi Lorlie
    Those thoughts can overwhelm you, but only if you let them.  Get rid of the parrot on the shoulder squawking at you.

Sometimes our own thoughts are so negative and say things to us that we would never say to another human being. 

Be kind to yourself and believe, believe, believe.

3. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

You seem to do pretty well with all thar doubt, meant as a compliment.

I suspect any writer doubts and feels alone more often than let on, and if you see me with 12 hubs in 6 months, completely not me why?  overwhelmed by too many things so i'll chill, just give yourself a break, clearly aware i am in no position to offer advise

pps

yes iam lorlie6 for those still asking me, hence the 100 score lol

whatever, at least get creative

be well lorlie, i mean me

out.

4. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

HI Lorie, Wow to hear that from you, Travel is right why do you even listen to such crap your mind flinging at you, just look at your scores lady it speaks for itself..and perhaps the hundred scores of those following you... sorry haven't read your work but I can say this You cannot be lousy and reach where you have reached!! Go on throw those out of the window,relax, enjoy yourself and soon you will be brimming with confidence. Go easy on yourself. smile(((hugs))))

5. lorlie6 profile image73

I really appreciate your thoughts, but sometimes it just seems like too much. 
    The inner editor is hard at work!
    She's the most awful bitch I've ever had to deal with.  I'm pretty sure my writings don't really suck, but simple confidence is lacking.  Today!

6. lorlie6 profile image73

I think this is really a bit of self-pity, but I'm not sure what to do with it-perhaps write through it???

7. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

YuP, no better medicine than that.. beat that b*&%$ back into submission and show her who is master here. smilelol

lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

THANKS, sofs, that's exactly what's called for! smile

8. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Lol now you go back and punch the mirror out. lol

9. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I'm sure I can write, not sure its any good. 
    I'm sure I have a story, not sure it translates.
    I'm sure I know more than I did, not sure it's enough.
    I'm sure I know more than you, not sure of what.
    I'm sure I have what it takes, not sure of what it takes.

Am I a good writer? I'm sure, I am not sure.

10. lorlie6 profile image73

Thanks, DI, and sofs, I will be punching out the mirror, for it's only a reflection of myself.  I only know that the HP algorithm seems to enjoy my stuff...sometimes!!!
    smilesmile

11. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Hey, just kidding, now don't you get serious on that!!!  lol
    Hope you are feeling better now!

Thanks, sofs-I'll get over this shit-soon!

12. lorlie6 profile image73

I did not know they would censor my words!  Good thing.  smile

13. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

I guess all you need is a break and some good rest...ha that brings me to point.. have you slept at all, all night  ... it was your bed time a long while ago I guess... Take care.

You are so very right, sofs.  A break and good, good sleep are what is in order.
      I appreciate the feedback and the advice.
      smile

14. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Doubts are there for anyone but keep on writing is the best thing any writer can do. I just look at writers like Stephen King and Clive Barker, they go through many drafts of each book they write and still aren't happy, they must have doubt somewhere in there, but they persist.

15. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Remember it is ONLY self-doubt.  You seem to be doing ok from where I stand and it is par forhte course that you will probably do better yet as you go along.  If you must compare yourself take a look at a few hubs from a religious fundie you will look like a genius big_smile

16. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Stephen King??? Horrid writer.  I can't stand his stuff.

The purpose of writing is communication. If you have communicated your thoughts to others, you are a writer.  As Mr. King shows us, that's true even if some other people toss your writing across the room in disgust. Stephen King is still a writer in spite of his being unable to communicate anything to me.

You are a writer.  In my little world, you are a better writer than Stephen, because I won't read what he writes but I do read what you write.  So there, Stephen: I like Lorlie6 better!

17. Karanda profile image78
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

Pcunix is spot on Lorlie, writing is communicating. While I don't have a problem with Stephen King, he too, is communicating, your writing is superb. From what I have read of your hubs I see that you pick a topic and work your way through from a beginning, a middle to an end. Self doubt is never a worthwhile pursuit. Keep writing girl, we'll all keep reading.

18. MPG Narratives profile image59
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Lorlie, we all have doubts in general but I find we writers have them more so. I sometimes wonder whether what I do is of any interest to anyone and these doubts get me down at times. Luckily, I don't listen to them too often so life goes on.

Keep writing girl, you're worth it. smile

Pcunix - I'm with you, Stephen King doesn't communicate to me either. He must be doing something right though.

19. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Groucho Marx famously said, "I would not join any country club that would have me as a member."  The point being, we all want to "be writers" but we all look at our work and compare it to the writers we admire and go, "Ugh, I suck."

As writers, we read.  The two skills, writing and reading, move together through the creative universe like binary stars.  The problem for many is that, often, the gravity of one star out-weighs the other.  This usually happens due to focusing on one over the other.

I know I do it all the time. I read all the time, writers I consider to be great (James, Wharton, Wilde, Roth, Barth, Cather, Anthony, Zelazany, Salvatore.... this list is insanely long) and, if I push too hard, I start to see my writing as shit.

It is shit, honestly.  Especially compared to those amazing writers.

However, it's movement.  Everything we write moves us closer to the place we strive for.  As long as you are READING and WRITING in equal measure, then you rule.  You are growing as an artist and as a human.  If you feel you are out of balance, look at your discipline: how much are you reading, how much are you writing.  If you're writing all the time and haven't read any great and challenging writers, then, well, there you have it, that's the balance out of whack.  You have to internalize the greatness of, well, greatness.  If you are reading all the time, and writing a little, but what you write sucks, it may be that you are reading too much and your writing practice is not standing up to the voices you have internalized, so it only SEEMS like it sucks.  We ALL suck compared to Shakespeare. 

My point is, don't despair.  Find the balance.  You literaly can read and write your way to better writing. The only thing that is a "maybe" in that is whether or not you have the discipline.  And even in that, you have to allow your personal energy to ebb and flow. Nobody crams their nose to the grindstone 24/7 (except Shakespeares and the like).  So, be realistic.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So beautifully put!!  and so simply said!! 

@Shadesbreath..  your  point...........  find your balance is something that everyone needs.. .. oh how much  we need it in everything that we do..
      This is so forcefully said ... and I think most people here, myself included need it sometime or the other!!

Thank you!!

2. Karanda profile image78
      Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shadesbreath, you have said it all so well there is nothing left to do but go and read your hubs. Looking forward to seeing how a writer puts it all together. I am feeling most humble after reading your response.

20. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 13 years ago

Oh lorilee6 Your a writer all right smile ya do a great job smile

21. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I came here to find out if I could write... so I have used my self doubt as a motivation rather than a negative.  In that way I think my writing takes a purer form and I get to judge it's quality from the comments that I get from my peers. But this way you don't allow yourself the privilege of giving up or you will never write again.... so the stakes are pretty high.

I guess we are all different writing-wise, but I know that we are all the same when it comes to getting encouragement from others.

You will be fine... take in all the life around you and be thankful that the birds only fart in the early morning. smile

See??? hmm
    Starme tells it as it is smile

22. maruthirp profile image61
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

Writer may not be accepted by every one. If he is accepted by one, that is enough to be a writer.

23. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

You need NANOWrimo or similar contest to get yourself on track.  smile

24. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I know what you mean. Every hub I publish seems so bad.  But I did figure out a little trick that sometimes helps my negativity. After you are done with it, reread it and pretend that someone else wrote it.  Sometimes it doesn't seem quite so bad to me then.

25. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

you are not alone in your feelings, but just proceed with confidence, keep working at it, it is what we all do I think.

don't give in to self doubt. It is never a good thing to do that in anything you do.

26. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I think we all wonder if we are really writers!  And also if we are really readers!

27. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I think you are terrific & I agree with Randy, I think we all wonder if we are writers.  Don't let self doubt get you down.  Pick yourself up, dust yourself off & you'll be fine smile

28. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Lorlie,
    There is no way you COULD be a writer if you didn't have self-doubts! When you stop questioning your ability, it's time to hang it up, because then you're coasting into mediocrity.
    This is a community. It's not a contest (popularity or otherwise).
    We come here to get better at -- a lot of things that relate to writing, including the writing itself.
    Suggestion -- go back and reread the very first hub you ever wrote.
    Now read the last hub you wrote.
    See what I mean?
    You rock, girlfriend!

29. whooops profile image58
    whooopsposted 13 years ago

I wonder about that all the time.

I do know that I am a reader. And writing just flowed out naturally from that. Karma, I guess.

Don't worry, I;m sure that you are a better writer than about 90% of the world's population.

Keep on writing!

30. lorlie6 profile image73

Thanks, EVERYONE!  Your posts have indeed encouraged me when I had such overwhelming doubts.  I am grateful for the support and advice!

31. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

You're a proven writer because you have good hubs to prove it. And I like what you have to say.

I go through the same with composing music at times. But after the doubts disappear, I find a project I'm passionate about and start composing again. No one can stop me. Not even me!

I think your idea of writing through the doubts is a great one! And writing through your self doubts is the best self defiance of your own doubts that I know of.

So moral of the story: Don't believe the little lies your mind tells you. You know better.

32. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Oh of course you can write. I bet I could come up with a random though sensible topic and you could go away and write something engaging smile

I never consider that I'm not. I don't have a 'real' job. I write, it pays the bills, I keep getting to write more - so when I'm asked what I do, I say 'I write'.

You're doing just fine lorlie smile

33. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Hi lorlie, I'm not the best writer in the world -- everyone can always improve, but I do love to write and I think that's enough to call yourself a writer.

34. lorlie6 profile image73

If not for this community, I'm pretty sure I'd be out of here.  I've been on other writing sites, and there's no comparison.
    Encouragement is balm for the writing soul!

35. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Hey lorlie-you share company with most everyone here.  Sometimes it is difficult to see how our own writing makes such a contribution to other people.  That's why it is so great to have the community 'cheer leaders'.

Great advice here from so many people.  It's not always easy to put a sock in the mouth of the self critic...but, basically that is what is needed. 

When you get that self doubt, tell it to take a hike and stop listening to it.  Your inner center of wisdom and creativity is the only voice you need to listen to.  That is your muse.

Keep on writing...this (self doubt) too shall pass.   smile

36. kids-toy-box profile image72
    kids-toy-boxposted 13 years ago

Hmm i feel the same..My problem is literally writing! am a terrible typist. I have ideas but putting oen to paper is the challenge.

lorlie6 I don't think you have much to worry about your hubs are well written:)

37. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't think of myself as a writer at all.  I just think of myself as "me, who happens to write".  I'm good and sure that I'm "me", and writing has always been something I just do.  Beyond that, I don't think about writing or what I am much.  Maybe I ought to, but I don't.  hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)