God is great? Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (199 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Seriously - what evidence supports this claim?

I can read the Bible. Your god seems petty, cruel and tyrannical.  In fact, he sounds exactly like some very human king.  I see nothing admirable, which (from my atheist perspective) is quite expected, because the tales were written in a far more brutish time but far less civilized people.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm going to pretend your god exists.  Convince me he is not the lowly worm the Bible depicts.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He is not my God, but my lack of knowledge has led me to believe the Old Testament God is an A**hole but the New Testament God seemed okay.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I need that explained better.

Is it that the god changed its mind or that the book was incorrect?

Neither of those seems to be anything that should inspire much confidence, so there must be some other rationale.

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd say the latter, and it only highlights that the book was invented by mere mortals, not some divine being (that is supposed to be the same forever)

2. Jeff Berndt profile image74
          Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people calm down after they have kids...smile

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
        pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perceptions change.

Perceptions?

So the people who wrote the first part got it wrong?

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Whether they got it wrong or not, we might never know. What God is or is not or did or did not, is subject to mans perceptions. The bible has distinct flavors of culture, personality and personal preferences that are not hard to detect when reading some of its passages.

That's confusing.

So you don't know if they got it right? 

Why wouldn't that same reasoning apply to the second part?

Perceptions change. We thought man was the head of the household, that is no longer true for some. Our culture thought twins were an omen of evil. That is no longer true. Perceptions change of what is.

2. Pcunix profile image92

By the way, should you even be answering this?  Are you a Christian?  I don't remember, sorry.

No

Then your answers don't help, really.

2. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He created people who look like this...

http://www.aishwaryaweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/aishwarya-rai.jpg

'nuff said.. Amen!

Too much makeup.

1. Greek One profile image63
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's the devil's doing.. not God's

2. The Donkey profile image59
          The Donkeyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too much makeup? You know if she came to your doorstep and said "Do what you want with me" you would take that. Haha.

You  are wrong.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image74
            Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"You know if she came to your doorstep and said "Do what you want with me" you would take that."

If "what you want" means she can help me build good quality to-scale miniatures for the stop-motion project I'm working on, then yeah. Otherwise, no thanks. I'm in love with my wife.

2. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMAO

3. pennyofheaven profile image80

Haha

4. luckycharmz profile image60
        luckycharmzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't agree with you more.  hehe

3. pennyofheaven profile image80

Considering we are in and of God why does that surprise you?

So you admit the god-thing is petty and brutish?

Why admire such a thing?

Who admires in the way you describe. I think you might have missed "in and of". The expressions if you like vary in nature, not all people are petty and brutish. Look at the world at large. Not all people are good, not all people are bad.

But the Old Testament god is a petty brute, is he not?

4. profile image51
      Senanuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He is grate because HE is above all.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

Next time try spelling words properly. lol

That semes so unresunable.

5. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@pcunix well isn't HE great?. What kind of question is this?..now god to take care of his recreation activities made humans...he also made satan..now he allows satan to play around with humans and the outcome of this play is that he punishes humans who play with satan!!!!!!!!!!!...also in return of his getting rid of being lonely in planet , he wants those whom he created pray ,praise him or else he again punishes...isn't that great?

6. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once I actually told my mom that if you take the Bible as a whole, like she kept telling me I had to in order for it to make sense, God sounds like a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum, or maybe a person with a personality disorder...

whoa... that wasn't really the best thing to say to her...

7. bushraismail profile image59
      bushraismailposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God truly is great. he not only created man in the best form but also taught him the god from bad. this life the creations are so wonderful that sometimes you are struck with wonder...pondering over the greatness of God.

we believe Allah is there ..........the proof being that no one could ever prove the Qur'an wrong. this is the greatest miracle of Allah.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You do realize this argument works for the Flying Spaghetti Monster, The Tooth Fairy and the Star Goat?

Anyway - we have proven Allah does not exist. You must be very angry now that women do not need to hide their bodies to prevent you from raping them. sad

1. bushraismail profile image59

of course i am not angry mark. anger only brings ego. i accept and expect the truth. neways i have no grudges but where was it proven? was there another forum?? i am new to forums so let me know.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Truth is that you cannot prove the Star Goat did not vomit the Universe - therefore that is truth and Allah does not exist. Yes - it was proven in another forum thread in any case.

Glad you are not angry that your god has been proven not to exist. Good for you.

i believe in Allah with all my life. any way mark in case you want any help about my Allah you can definitely ask me.
              but i tell you 'there is none worthy to be worshiped except Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.'
              to accept, reject or ridicule is your wish.
              even if u ridicule i will NEVER ridicule your god(if any) as thats what my religion asks me to do." to spread peace"

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

lol lol lol lol lol

This is way too funny. tongue tongue

3. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 13 years ago

Well PC. I guess we are going to have to figure out which god the christians are calling great...There are at least four that I know that they "worship" is some form or another...God (the father) Jesus (the son) Holy Spirit (the Mother...The Hebrew word for this term is feminine)And then of course you have Lucifer/Satan or whatever name you wanna call him...And I know I am going to get lots of flack about this one...But Other than Jesus, Satan is the only one given a name...he also has a Title and it is the Prince of Light, or the Prince and power of Air, He is also in charge of all of the negative things in life...So as long as we have people who sin..we have people who are worshiping and honoring Satan... Can't have a "good" god unless you have a "bad" god...And if you commit any sins then you are giving tribute to the "bad" god...smile

But that doesn't seem to help very much..

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah your right...Guess we are never gonna know why "god" is so great...smile

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78

But to actually answer your OP...I can't...from what I have read and studied and been taught...It seems to me that he has actually caused more harm than good...or at least stood by and did nothing while it happened...but of course...that would be to Gods plan right???

So that's the deal? He says he has a plan and therefore anything he does is just part of the plan?

Is that the whole of it?

So they tell me...But something my mother taught me a long time ago was..."god" helps those who help themselves...So pretty much.. Man does it... not "god"...So I would have to say that if anyone is great...It would be those of us who have made a impact on life...

He who doesn't help himself is nothing but a failure. No god required.

Just a thought. smile

Yeppers.. that is what was implied...

2. profile image51

No! God does not help those who help themselves. He rather help those who cannot help themselves. He does this by showing them love and mercy.
              BUT TO ALL, HE IS OUR PROTECTOR WEAPON AND HEALER.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4615126.jpg

Not helpful.

Why so different from Old to New?

Ok, I'll bite... If you think he helps those who can't help themselves... then please explain the starving folks, kids with cancer or other bad Diseases...Why is the baby hooked on crack because his/her mommy was the "bad" person...In the bible God made water come from a rock...blankets of birds, and Manna straight from heaven to feed the "rich in gold and silver" Israelites. Why did he kill a bunch of people just so the Israelites could have the land they was on... wasn't the land noboby owned good enough...maybe there was a population problem and real estate was hard to come by...Please do explain to me how "god" is helping those less fortunate, much less the ones who can't even help themselves

And one last thought... You can be loved and shown mercy all day long...but at the end of the day...nothing gets done and you are still hungry or poor or sick...

That seems to be the trouble. When we are waiting for something outside oneself.

Interesting that you say that. Satan according to the search you suggested in another thread, as read in the article was the way in which man could become equal with Gods. I understood this to mean, the function was to help cleanse the doors of perception to see wholeness or oneness with that which we are. It has been highly misunderstood the concept of Satan. Brings to mind the story of the two wolves and which one you feed.

Got to love those wise old American Indian Medicine Men...There are lots of theories behind who or what satan actually is...there has been a form of the "evil serpent satan" in lots of cultures...There is an old Icelandic belief that has a evil snake that surrounded the world. And a Wolf as well...Both were children Of Loki.

I suggested that version on purpose....As they all claim to only worship One "god" in a "triple form"

4. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

The obe wgo they refer to as God is the one who author and perpetuates all existence.

and he has done it un such a way that it is perfect and never ending.... this is why ot is referred to as Life.

for those who understand him and his way, they would always see him as great because  they also see the same things within themselves.

But his actions seem small and petty, do they not? I see no signs of greatness, only assertions of such by others.

1. kess profile image60
        kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my friend you will only see what you believe you can see...

The eyes does not have the capacity to show god in all his fullness.

and because you are depending and maybe expecting another to show you then your lack of vision is inevitable.

You begin to know when you begin to believe the things that proceed from yourself... start there and the eyes that sees God  will develop...

Not helpful..

1. kess profile image60
            kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess you did not read it at all.... what are you expecting...

some babies cry and are fed and are satisfied....

other cry and are also fed but these are never satisfied and keep on crying..... what do these get?

Is this supposed to be meaningful?

I don't have any idea how this answers the question I asked.

5. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years ago

I think first you need to define what "great" means to you.

"relatively large in size or number or extent"
    Well the Earth is pretty darned big, and if we're assuming for the sake of this argument that he exists, etc, then that would be pretty great, huh?

"of major significance or importance"
    Well, we're all standing here, eh? That's important, I guess.

"remarkable or out of the ordinary in degree or magnitude or effect"
    Can you set a bush on fire and then talk out of it? Certainly don't see that every day.

Like I said, not My God, but I think there is a lot of clarity needed in your prompt.

All definitions from http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

In the context of gods, it's meaningless to me, but it did seem to imply someone a bit less petty than the thing in the Bible.

I just feel like I could have done much better than he did.

So write your own Bible.

I feel like you're here just trying to piss people off.

Sometimes, yes.

Not here, though.

2. profile image51

Not ur God? than whose God? do u know how u were created, forms in your mothers worm? He is our God, not 4 one person.

For the sake of argument, even if I was created by the aforementioned God, I do not worship that God.

1. superwags profile image66
          superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then I'd consider a switch. Hinduism is the best. Monkey gods rock. And I get to be reincarnated as something afterwards.

I do enjoy life after life.

But as a human, presumably. Do you not think it'd be a laugh to try out being something else? I mean, have you ever seen how cool a squirrel is? Or an otter?

Dude I love otters.

House cats have it made, can I be one of them?

6. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

PCUNIX, this is so sad.  You posted this on Valentine's Day.  Why would we want to argue the Love of God on a day like this?  This is very odd.

Love doesn't come from a god. It comes from self. WOW! hmm

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not what the Bible says, silly.

It goes to show people don't understand themselves much less anything else. lol

Tell us what the Bible says about your god.

I want to know what words cause you to admire this creature.

1. profile image0

Are you talking to me?  This computer doesn't do a thing when I click on 'this'

I said that the words I read in your Bible tell me your god is a petty, cruel and british creature. I am more tolerant, moral and understanding than he is. I obviously have more wisdom. 

Why do you insist this thing is "great"?

1. profile image0

What thing?  I'm not following you.  You referenced a creature, now a thing.  Are we off topic?

Your god-thing.  You are being deliberately evasive. Are you stalling for time?

1. profile image0

I am not being evasive.  I am trying to ensure that we are talking about the same thing.  What is a god-thing.  I don't know this term.

2. profile image51

My brother, TRUE LOVE IS 4RM GOD, NOT 4RM ANY HUMAN.
        FOR GOD SO LOVE THE WORLD SO MUCH THAT, HE GAVE HIS "ONLY BEGOTTEN SON", and who so ever believe in Him, will not perish but, hve everlasting life. MAY UR SINS BE 4GVEN. Amen.

Keep dreaming blissful. lol

2. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could you stop the texting format?

BTW, your posts are absurd.

3. Pcunix profile image92

Not helpful.

4. DoubleScorpion profile image78

"god" loves the world...doesn't say anything about him sharing and letting us use part of that love....

We don't observe these silly days, sorry.

1. profile image0

Oh my gosh.  That is so sad.  It isn't a religious holiday.  Didn't Hallmark invent it?  Is atheism an offshoot of the Jehovah Witness sect?  I am so confused.

I get up early every day. When my wife gets up, I rise from whatever I am doing, walk to her and hug her gently. We kiss and we say good morning.  I tell her that I love her and am happy to see her and believe me, I am.

We flirt with each other all day long. When we are apart, we call just to say that we miss the other.

Before we go to sleep, we hug and kiss again and once again say that we love each other.

We've been doing this for almost forty four years now.

Tell me why I need a special day?

1. profile image0

Well, that is just the sweetest story I think I've read that you've posted.  Is that true? It certainly doesn't sound like the PCUNiX i've come to know.

Yes, it's true. 

Why would I say it if it were not?

I'm not saying we never fight or that we are never cross or angry.  But we start each day in love and end each day in the same state.

1. profile image0

You said forty years.  Is that with the same woman?  Really?

Forty four years on July 11th.

Yes, same woman.  A little older, though.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry.  I will need some proof. Preferably a picture, with her maybe, I don't know, holding a poster that says "Yes, I've been married to PCUNIX for forty years".  It doesn't have to say happily, but I will need a clear shot of the background to ensure that she is not being coerced.

You don't

No, I don't. See, even you and I can agree now and then smile

Yes.

Actually Just... it is a Christian Holiday...well was......adapted from the roman pagan beliefs of course...do a search on the history...Named for a St. Valentine

1. profile image0

I knew that.  I'm just having some fun with him.  He obviously posted this thread to have some fun with people like me.  I just thought we should both be laughing.

No, actually, this wasn't for fun. It's a serious question. As I said, New Testament, not such an ugly guy. Old Testament - really ugly.

I asked if it is that the god changed or the book was wrong. I know the true answer, but that's not my purpose here. I want to know how you reconcile it.

I think he posted this thread because he was politely asked to leave a different thread and start a new one with his question.

Yes, that is why.

3. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because he is a genius

In point of fact, yes.

However, I'm sure you meant that sarcastically, so let me hasten to assure you that I am not one who values genius much. It is seldom useful and in fact is apt to interfere with the things in life that actually are important.

Now please go ahead and have your fun.

1. profile image57
          C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There was no sarcasm intended.

7. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

God is great because on the first day he created the heaven and the earth; without any light!

Later that week he created squirrels. And squirrels are mint.

1. Midnight Oil profile image82
      Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God said let there be light, and there was plentiful light, until his first monthly utility bill arrived, then there was less light !

He missed us, we don't have squirrels on my little island !

Damn. He removeth speed limits though; "he giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other." 

He invented other things to be glad of too; trees, buzzards, rocks, asprin, cups and Borneo.

8. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Let me add to that - if you had only the second book, I might feel differently.  But that first book depicts an ugly, very human like creature. Explain that.

1. Midnight Oil profile image82
      Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Bible 2, The Sequel - Jesus Christ He is Back !

Never as good as the original, but bound to draw the masses in...

9. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3749570_f248.jpg

Joh 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Doesn't help. Read the question again.

I'm a better person than the god of the old testament.  Why is he "great"?

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question was read by me.  The answer I gave above.  It is up to you to accept it or not.  Your problem, not mine.

Fine. I don't accept it.

2. profile image51

"......................He  made heaven and earth......

So?

He's a petty and tyrannical brute in the Old Testament and all sweetness in the New.

Why?

3. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

underwhelming response to the OP.  Maybe the believers don't really thing god is great?

As for having a god-man brutally murdered so that animals didn't have to be killed to satisfy god's need for blood, I don't see what's so great about that - the whole blood-thirsty god is weird in the first place

1. profile image0

I don't think it is that any theist doesn't think that God is great. They might have been more open had the thread been posted by someone else. Pcunix has a bit of a reputation for dashing kind thoughts on the subject.

Aww - I dash your pretty little fantasies with a cold dash of reality?

What an AWFUL thing todo.

2. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well concept of god is really great...it has kept humans captive since humans began their journey...who so ever started this ,might not be aware of power of the concept...

10. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 13 years ago

In my opinion, I think being agnostic is the best way to view things. Most of my family are Christians/protestants. However, it seems that some major religious groups talk down upon other religions.

For example: "Some" Christians will tell an Atheist that there going to go to hell because they don't believe in god or don't "fully believe in the bible" etc...

I consider myself open minded, but do not want to commit myself to believing in ONLY ONE religion. It just does not seem right. How can we continue to pass on knowledge of past events without getting something wrong? Somewhere along the line, someone had to lye or misinterpret information, unintended or not....

I respect all religions, but do not think I will believe in 100% to anything...

Christianity?
    Catholic?
    Judaism?

I go more towards Christianity, but acknowledge that other religions could be right, or ALL religions are wrong, or perhaps were misinterpreted somewhere in history...

Maybe god exists, maybe he does not. I am open to both, but do not believe 100% on either of them. To many variables involved in the worlds history....

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

On the matter of how great god is, I think it is wrong how in Christianity, if you are sentenced to go to Hell, you WILL BE THERE FOREVER!

This seems rather harsh and is one of the reasons I think the bible can contradict itself...

God forgives...But apparently does not forgive people that are already in hell???

Some aspects of Christianity seem good, while others, I simply can not agree with, or think something is wrong.

People don't forgive themselves and the intricate web of self deceit is spun ever so thickly.

2. superwags profile image66

How about Hindu; it's much cooler. monkey and elephant gods rock. And you get recreated as a new animal once you drop off this mortal coil. Way cooler than a kill joy in the clouds telling you what not to do.

3. profile image56
      stoneyyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, I think being agnostic is the best way to view things. Most of my family are Christians/protestants. However, it seems that some major religious groups talk down upon other religions.--David470

What is there to be agnostic about?

11. Midnight Oil profile image82
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

God is what ever you want him to be. You create him in your mind and he resides there.  He is an image you created.  If he is bad you made him that way, and if he is a good god, you made him that way.

We are all hot wired in some way to be submissive, and having a fictitious great being to bow and pray to us gives us that master/slave kick we need.

We that's my take on things until I see a talking burning bush in some desert or he/she makes a personal appearance...

I'm not wired to be submissive, but that doesn't help me understand why anyone would like the Old Testament god-thing.

12. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years ago

PCunix, I admire your stanima.

big_smile

13. theseus profile image70
    theseusposted 13 years ago

@Pcunix: God exists and He is great.How come you can't explain some things while you can on some?That's because he is greater than we all are.Want another sign?The clearest sign is He created you..spread love and peace..lol

1. profile image56
      RuA_05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

THE REASON WHY GOD IS GREAT IS BECAUSE HE IS THE ALMIGHTY GOD AND HE CREATED HEAVEN AND EARTH.
      FOR THE HEAVEN THE BILLIONS OF ANGELS THAT HE CREATED AND ALSO USING THEM TO FULFILL HIS WILL HERE ON EARTH AND IN THE HEAVEN TOO
      THEN WHAT ABOUT THE EARTH THE HUMAN 'S THE ANIMAL'S  THE BIRTHS AND FLOWERS  THE OCEANS AND ALL THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS IN THE WORLD BOTH SEEN AND UNSEEN . HE IS THE ONE THAT MAKE THEM TO EXIST, THE HONOR, ADORATION, PRAISE AND GLORY BE ONTO HIM.
      U CAN SEE WHY HIS GREAT.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes God is Great and Worthy of all the Praise and Glory.

All well and good, but not an answer to the question.

1. getitrite profile image71

She's only here to provide moral support to anyone spouting illogical, childish nonsense...As if her encouragement, somehow, lends crediblity to these mindless, absurd beliefs.

Well, that person certainly needs support of some kind..

The absolute truth in her words is all the support she need. I was just agreeing with the beauty of her message.

There was no absolute truth in her words, and just because you agreed with her, still doesn't make it truth.

2. profile image0

Wow, I thought that was wht you were here for pcunix. .WOC doesn't need any help. Her statement is dead on.

As I have said before, all someone has to do is write a sentence praising god and - no matter how illiterate or illogical  it is - all the theists shut off their brains and clap like mad.

1. profile image0

Not me pcunix. I just thought it was unkind to say that to WOC. I wanted to be supportive, like getitrite was to you. I agree with her on that point.  If you notice, I've disagreed with her before.

it seems, and this is just an observation, that the atheists stand as a block. None of the Christians agree on everything. The only thing we have in common is belief in God. It's lonely for us, at least it is for me. It's nice when I can agree.

Oh, please.  What block?

There are no atheist sects. We don't have atheist creeds. Ridiculous statement.

2. getitrite profile image71

The difference in my post and yours, is that my responses are based upon real observed events, where as yours are based on nothing but a childish belief in pure nonsense.

All the support in the world can't make your absurd beliefs true whether atheists stood together or not.

3. whyse profile image59
                    whyseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does it not bother you, just_curious, that you are basing a belief on what you claim is absolute truth, and yet in the same breath admit that noone who follows that belief can agree on everything? Isnt absolute truth irrevertible? If it were absolute truth, would there be room for such dissention among its followers?

Just curious myself.

2. profile image0

I'm leaving now, but I wanted to tell you that I cannot keep up with your mood swings. You seem testy. You were nice at lunch. You were down right disagreeable yesterday. It's making me dizzy.

LOL smile

Dear Diary

Aww, you've gone and hurt his feelings again!  When will you stop being truthful with him? You KNOW he can't handle it!

2. Cagsil profile image70

Next time you post, try using some Online Etiquette. If you don't know what that means, look it up or ask your god. Either way, learn something. wink

14. profile image49
    Determine33posted 13 years ago

God is Great - take a look at your surroundings - the earth, moon, sun, stars - they were all created by a higher-being (Genesis 1:1)  The Bible tell us of all the goodness associated with God and we can do our own research.  However, it takes more then me telling you that God is Great - it takes understanding what is going on today and why there is so much suffering - if there is a God. 

My answer is that anyone could tell you to believe - but that will be blind faith - you will have to take the time and read and examine the scriptures for yourself.  It is full of informaton - yes, that was inspired by God. (2 Timothy 3:16)
    How is it possible for a Book so old to have in it many of the events that are taking place today.  A careful examination of the scriptures will enable us to seek out the truth in respect to its' reliability and consistency with the times.

Examined, tested and proven doctrines false. Next? hmm

15. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

God is great because you do not intimidate him.  In fact, no one here intimidates God and nothing you or anyone else says surprises Him.

lol

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would look like believers haven't a thing in the world to worry about, then. smile

16. whyse profile image59
    whyseposted 13 years ago

Granted, Pcunix, I have not had the time to read every single response to the original question you posted, but of the considerable amount I have read, I have yet to find one that actually pertains to it. I am not a Christian, as is defined by conventional and modern standards. But I am one who greatly respects wisdom, in all of its forms and expressions, and it is indisputable that the Bible, among other things, is a source of such wisdom.

In response to your question, I would like to provide an example that would better illustrate the point I wish to make. Many (all, actually) who practice (or don't) Christianity believe that all who disobey God or simply don't accept Jesus as a saviour will spend the entirety of their eternity burning in a lake of fire called hell. During my own quest for understanding, I posed this question to many who were supposed to be qualified to answer (preachers, priests, hardcore Christians, etc.); if eternal life is a gift of God, and the wages of sin is death...how can one POSSIBLY spend an eternity burning in a lake of fire without dying? Would God deliberately grant someone eternal life simply to watch them burn for eternity because they exercised the free will that he himself gave them?

That would definitely be a petty, cruel, and inhumane thing to do. But my point is not that God is such things, nor that the Bible is false. My point is that humans are infallible, and tend to give meaning to those things whose meaning they do not understand.

As you're question was not "Why do you believe in God?", I will not answer that. It is a long and very personal account. But in answer to your question, whether God is petty or whether the writers got it wrong...I believe it is neither. I believe it is the readers who get it wrong, day after day, year after year, century after century...and the continuation of belief in such false and pretentious interpretations is perpetuated by the human tendency to blindly believe in anything that seems higher than themselves, regardless of empirical evidence or intellectual reasoning (or lack of either.)

I hope this helps to clarify at least a little of the confusion expressed throughout this hub post.

17. hanging out profile image61
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

The egyptian pharoah said the same thing.. who is this God and to paraphrase, why is he so great.

Then God systematically, one by one humiliated and destroyed the GodS of the egyptians and left that civilization in utter shambles.

The ones who knew their God was great walked out of egypt with wealth and freedom.

God blesses His people and the others receive not the blessings of God. Christians always say how great God is while the rest look around and fail to understand or see it.

God is great to those that do his will.

When should I expect to be destroyed?

18. dianebowling profile image59
    dianebowlingposted 13 years ago

I did not read every post as this thread is sooooo long! However I would just like to state that the bible was written by men, not any god, and as such is not proof of anything. Being a woman, and seeing how women have been treated in history as well as in biblical times I have difficulty reconciling the "God is Great" phrase that many people (many women) use with believing in an all encompassing, compassionate diety. Stoning.....really? Honor and obey? I am not, nor will I ever be a servant for anyone because the bible told me so. Only by my choice smile.
    I also have much difficulty with believing in such a "Great God" when I see so much suffering by people who haven't so much as hurt a fly. (See the thread about Granma Connie and Lexi, I really hope she gets well)

diane as for the suffering that the people undergo even though God is merciful..................i believe that God created us to test us and He will definitely judge us accordingly and grant us a suitable eternal place in paradise.
      hope this helps you.

1. getitrite profile image71

Could you explain how and why an ALL-KNOWING God needs to test us?  Wouldn't He already know the results of any test?

And why would God create us just to test us?  Doesn't He have better things to do?  I mean, since He already knows the answer to the tests, it would seem that He wastes all His time doing absolutely nothing...well, except running the universe!

i try to answer the question, i think, that the ALL knowing  God knows all but when he tells us on the day of judgement are we ready to accept that we WOULD HAVE LIVED A GOOD OR BAD LIFE. so maybe this life is a proof for our doing. and on the last day we cant reject any of our doing.

i seriously dont know if you will accept this. but this is what i believe. please correct me if i am wrong.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)