Hubpages Privacy Policy & ToS Changes - March 3rd

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (54 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

This is now displayed on the home page.

"The HubPages privacy policy and user agreement will be changing on March 3rd. Please review the new privacy policy and new user agreement."

From what I can see there are some major additives to #9 - EARNING MONEY THROUGH HUBPAGES - IMPRESSION PROGRAM PARTICIPATION.

Comments?

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

That is a very positive change WryLilt. And I think it means that Hubpages will offer additional advertising options without the need to sign up as an affiliate directly.

In otherwords, new revenue options with revenue split rather than impression share, which you can run alongside the current impression system.

Hubpages holds the affiliate account but tracks revenues from your pages, splits revenue 60/40.

Great news for those who cannot get an eBay account or lose their AdSense account. If I am reading into that correctly.

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Surprised there aren't more comments though!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to email you.

It seems pretty quiet though in fairness smile

2. christoss1959 profile image59
      christoss1959posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you are reading it correct but as far as I understand is an option for people who have problems with adsense. As far as I understand it wont include ebay or amazon which is a shame. If it included all the affiliates in one I would be likely to switch to them as this would mean reaching faster the payment thresholds, as it is now I will keep my account as it is.
      Very good news though for everyone who had his/hers account suspended though.

1. profile image0

No, it says that it can be run alongside the impression share.

So we can opt-in to both ad share and impression share. That suggests that it is new affiliates.

3. sid_candid profile image58
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

Interesting change this. The only thing I could not understand is how are going to pay would it be by check or paypal. My adsense has never been great and new revenue sharing opportunity is like fresh air for me. Go Hubpages Go!smile

4. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 13 years ago

It distinctly says that you will receive payments by Paypal - if you read the terms it does allude that there may be other payments eventually, but for now the only option is Paypal.

5. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Just finished reading this.  Sounds good so far!

6. GAbaptist profile image66
    GAbaptistposted 13 years ago

From what I am reading, the new ad program sounds like what I have heard some describe the Squidoo model. Since I have never used Squidoo, I don't know if that is accurate. Maybe someone who writes there can tell me if it is the same type of system. Either way, I am all for making more ways to make money, as long as we don't lose the current options we have.

7. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Hmmm.  I didn't see anything about referrals, either from someone joining up or by linking to another's hub.  Just income from the 60% of impressions we normally get.

It wouldn't  affect me much - I have one signup that has written one hub - but some have hundreds.

The ToS says referrals stay the same - 10%

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I missed it, then.  I just skimmed through the new parts - a more thorough reading is definitely in order.

8. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

My mind goes blank when I try and read that kind of thing. Someone should write a hub explaining the TOS in terms stupid people could understand.

I understand the 'don't spam' bit. I understand 'don't say cruel things to fellow users' even if they deserve it. I note that the revenue split could be changed at any time (please don't sell us to AOL or the Russians). A lot of the rest of it is impenetrable.

Basically, on top of the affiliate earnings we currently have (Adsense, Amazon, Kontera, Ebay) Hubpages will also show adverts from other big companies and pay us a share directly through paypal.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I searched the TOS for paypal and came up with a blank. Are you sure of this? I think Squidoo do that now. but Hubpages?

Maybe I am looking at the wrong page- is this the page you are talking about http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

1. SimeyC profile image88
            SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here's the paypal part in the User Agreement:

Payment Mechanism and Uncollected Payments.

HubPages in its sole discretion will determine the approved payment mechanism(s) for You to receive payments due from your running the HubPages Ad Program. Your participation in the HubPages Ad Program may be suspended or approval withheld until HubPages can validate that You have a valid account with approved payment mechanism. Payment mechanisms may be edited, added, or removed at any time, in HubPages sole discretion. The following are the currently approved payment mechanisms for the HubPages Ad Program: PayPal

2. Will Apse profile image89
            Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Wry Lit. I can hardly ever load Hubpages front page, and I don't even try these days, so I just went to what I took to be the current user program.

I am guessing the direct sales ad revenue will be pretty minor compared to adsense and amazon revenue.

2. profile image0

If they had to sell then I would hope it would be to Google.

They offer 100% revenue sharing on Google Knol, and wouldn't give their own site a Google slap.

Ultimately we are protected by the fact that we own our content, any reduction in revenue sharing would see me remove my content, post it somewhere else, then get a bar job, and come back when it all matures again.

Something to worry about when or if it happens though. Right now it looks like they are concentrating on becoming more profitable as an independant, which I hope will be the case for a few more years.

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
        Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I see you dip, you better believe I'm out too. What Hubpages had I was happy with. As long as Amazon is the same, and my sales hubs are in tact I'll be more than okay.

9. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

after reading through it, I'm wondering if this also means there will be more ads on our pages?  did anyone else get this impression?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you recall, there were a couple of threads about new advertisers being tested a few months ago.  There was a mixed reaction because some of the ads were quite in-your-face. 

The hurdle, at the time, was that it wouldn't be possible for Hubbers to sign up for that advertiser individually. So I'm guessing this change means they've decided to proceed with that advertiser and manage the payments directly.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and it's not just an impression either - they actually come out and say it:

"Your election to run the HubPages Ad Program may result in additional advertisements being placed on Your Hubs"

Not sure how I feel about the new ad program - it sounds like a great idea in theory, but would it result in a reduced number of Adsense clicks and hence mean that you gain in one area only to lose in another?  (I'm guessing that it would have more effect on Adsense earnings than either Amazon or eBay.)

That said, it's absolutely brilliant news for people who can't get an Adsense account, or have been banned from Adsense.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Edit: just read up the info about the new programme - seems you need a valid Adsense account to join.  Sorry if this post of mine got anyone's hopes up erroneously.

10. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

This is great news, especially if this includes ads from premium ad networks such as Microsoft (which I think it does).

Can't wait to sign up!

1. christoss1959 profile image59

Am I the only one who is slightly concerned about this?
      If they are creating their own adds network that means they can put whatever adds they want and share whatever revenue they they want for each click. For example if an ad usually paid $1 before they can share only $0.10 of the profit, the 60%-40% only applies for the number of ads shown not the ad system (which they might develope as an independent product-company).
      I am also concerned that this new adsystem might become compulsory eventualy so that they can maximize their profits.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you read through the ToS you will find that ads displayed on page impressions don't change, it is still 60% Hubber, 40% HubPages for page impressions.

You have an option to opt into the HubPages Ad program, so it will show additional ads on your Hubs on your page impressions in addtion to all your other ads (eBay, Amazon, AdSense and Kontera).

As the HubPages Ad program is opt in and they can show ads on 40% of their page impressions, I feel that HQ doesn't need to promote a compulsory issue with this as noone benefits if Hubbers leave the site or no longer produce future Hubs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am myself very excited about this, even if it is an additional - one, single ad (or more) that captures an audience and promotes further revenue IN ADDITION to what I am already earning, yeah, bloody beautiful bonus.

I feel that almost no one unless they do something rather extraordinarily bad, will suffer from this new addition to ad revenue generation.

1. Opt In
        2. Extra Revenue Potential
        3. Happy Hubbers, Happy HQ

Bring it on I reckon

1. christoss1959 profile image59

It think you missread (or I misswritten) my comment. Hubpages ad network is a new ad network, nobody can guarantee you for the price they offer per click! You still get the same impressions for your ads but they can give you as much as they want per click (from your impressions). They can give you as low as 1p per click, they are the new ad network not adsense not msn not anyone else they are independent.

christoss,

I havent misread what you wrote above, yet I feel you haven't read the ToS in depth and digested what is written there.

This ad generation is not new, its been in place for quite some time now. It is called Yieldbuild and although a separate entity, its a part of the HubPages family and fully owned by HubPages.

I think it would be not a good way to build business relationships with anyone to oust your writers with shitty payments. Why the heck would HubPages pay themselves and the ad publishers a motsa and screw the writers?

It is also opt in, so you can choose yes, or you can choose no. So if one chooses, nothing in your current form of revenue generation has to change, when asked to utilize the HubPages Ad network, you can simply say, no thankyou.

11. Andrew0208 profile image58
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

This is good News for hubbers - An ad share earning alternative provided by HubPages. This is truly ideal.

12. ns1209 profile image62
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

This sounds excellent as I never can make much with Adsense anyway!  If Hubpages starts adverts directly and Hubbers earn a share, the site will also become more profitable.  I hope this includes big companies like Microsoft.  On an Xbox Hub, I could have for example a Microsoft advert for Kinect.

13. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

The way I see it, whatever they choose to share is still more than we are earning now.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto smile

14. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

Will these ads be automatically shown on our pages or do we have to sign up and add them? For example google is automatically shown but you have to add Amazon.

They'll be automatically shown once you opt in I believe.

1. R-J-T profile image61
        R-J-Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks, so if I opt out they will not be shown? correct?

They will only be shown on Hubpages 40% share I believe.

But think of it this way:-

Normally you'd earn from Adsense/Amazon/Kontera/Ebay.

If you opt in you'd earn from Adsense/Amazon/Kontera/Ebay AND from Hubpages.

1. pisean282311 profile image64
            pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow...but would they then sent cheque to other places like google does...at par cheques...

2. R-J-T profile image61

I know but I do not have paypal and do not plan on getting it as there have been a load of nightmare stories of people getting screwed over by them.

1. Len Cannon profile image87
              Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I suppose you can never get paypal and not get any money you would otherwise earn anyways, or risk getting "screwed" out of that money years from now.

I do most of my primary business transactions with Paypal nowadays. Once I got a Paypal debit card, my bank became increasingly obsolete.

1. R-J-T profile image61

For anyone who uses paypal for there business should be extremly careful, there are many people, some of which I know personaly who have had there paypal account suspended because they have had 2 or 3 returns or customer complaints out of thousands of customers.

They do not care about the sellers only the buyers so the only thing I am going to say is be careful with them becuase the last thing you will want is a suspended message on your account one day with $1000s being unable to withdraw for adleast 6 months.

Fair enough, but what's going to give you a better return - not joining the ad program ($0 income) or joining the ad program and taking a risk you might, just might, be one of the unlucky ones?

Bear in mind, with an affiliate program you're not selling direct, so you're not going to get any "returns" or customer complaints.

I've had a free Paypal account for years.  I know about the risk, so I make sure I regularly withdraw funds to keep the balance low.  It's foolish to leave "$1000s" in your Paypal account and easy to avoid doing so.

15. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Boy, I have some reading to do! Thanks guys for posting about this here as I don't often check the main page and could have missed it. I guess it would be good practice to start reading the terms once a year to see if there have been changes I neglected to notice smile

I am really struggling not to get too excited here, and failing! lol

I just have a really high regard and respect for this site and cannot imagine that this new system would be anything but good for us all. That is not to say that there wouldn't be glitches or whatever at the start but thats worth it to me.

I am seeing some nice earnings with amazon, but I still find google a weird beast and struggle to get decent value clicks. I would very much welcome another potential way to earn here.

Kirsten,

When you look right at the bottom of the page for the ToS HQ has posted dates for when important updates or changes have been made. Hope it helps.

16. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

This all seems irrelevant unless my traffic returns.

1. bgamall profile image70
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they apply this to foreign Google, not just USA, you are screwed totally Ryan. No point in continuing unless you go mad with twitter and facebook promotion. Any tips on facebook promotion of hubs? I haven't figured that out. And ad clicks diminish there anyway.

Or Ryan you could make ebooks like I am doing or use adwords, lol.

17. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

My only concern with this is Kontera.  I do NOT want that junk on my pages ever.

As long as I can opt out of that separately, I'm good to go.

1. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can disable kontera on 60% of your impressions.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't want it on any smile

Me neither, hate it.

18. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

Thanks, Wrylit, for posting this.  This is very helpful for most of us.

19. danatheteacher profile image69
    danatheteacherposted 13 years ago

So am I understanding right that it is either one ad program like Adsense and Amazon or we have to choose the Hubpages ad program? Is that correct.

20. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

Curious to know how we are to sign up for it or opt in?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)