Let's Make This Clear: Jewishness is a religion not a race

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (79 posts)
  1. bgamall profile image67
    bgamallposted 13 years ago

There is a lot of confusion on this subject, what with the banksters being overrepresented by those who have descended from those who practiced the religion of Judaism. But we need to be clear, Jewishness is not a race. Jews are caucasian, and there is no race named "Jew".

My natural father was a Jewish descendant, and I am adopted and also count as Jewish descendent. But that does not mean I am not caucasian in race. Jews practice Judaism, and if you are a descendant, you could be an atheist, an agnostic, a Christian or whatever.

I hope this clears things up. Judaism is not a race. Judaism is a religion.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What brought this on? Has somebody been giving you a hard time because of your ancestry?

bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No there was another thread on the success of Jews and there was a lot of misinformation there.

Oh, gotcha.

2. AnnCee profile image66
      AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are not Jewish if your natural mother is not Jewish.  You may adopt the Jewish religion, but you will not be a member of the Jewish or Hebrew race.

http://www.jewfaq.org/whoisjew.htm

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are misreading this article. There's no such thing as a Jewish or Hebrew race.

Why don't you reread more carefully what it says.

1. AnnCee profile image66

Why don't you tell me what you think this article says?

Good heavens, there are unique genetic markers, there is a lineage, the Jews themselves call themselves a race.

The genomes have been traced, the dispersal is documented.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/artic … wish-race/

That there was an original Levantine population called Jews does not mean that there is a Jewish race. That original Levantine population had a mixture of races.

That there is a Cohen genetic marker among *some* Jews does not mean that all Jews have this genetic marker, even among those who claim to trace their bloodlines to Aaron.

As for the Commentary article, that author seems to be confusing tribe with race.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Apply for citizenship in Israel and tell them you are of the Jewish faith. How far will you get? When I was there I was told I could not be a citizen.

1. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Israel has a problem with the State regulating religion.

Even so, not all Israelis are Jews. And not all Jews are Caucasian. And even not all Israeli Jews are Caucasian.

2. bgamall profile image67

That is in Israel. We are talking about here in the United States. Israel does not define Judaism, and in fact was founded by bolsheviks. Look it up on Wikipedia. The state of Israel does what is expedient for a state that is secular.

3. livelonger profile image87

That's not true. You can even be a convert and apply for aliyah under the Law of Return. You just have to have lived "Jewishly" for at least a year and have that affirmed by a rabbi.

If you mean "Messianic Jew" (i.e. Christian) then no, that does not grant you Israeli citizenship.

Israel is not a Jewish state according to the Old Testament. If one were to believe the OT was in force, and I don't, then Israel would have to be sacrificing animals and the whole OT thing, banishing people from the land, etc. Israel does not do that. So to make an OT rule a requirement for moving there is just stupid. Or as I said before convenient for them to set barriers.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

Judaism has been changing ever since it was created. According to Jewish law, there are no more animal sacrifices, banishment, etc.

The problem is that Christians who use Christian terminology and apply Christian understanding to Judaism tend to misunderstand it. The Torah is not the entirety of Jewish law, not even close. (Judaism has continued to evolve after Jesus's life)

That said, Israel (the modern state) is a secular country. There are many of its laws that have nothing to do with Jewish law. Even Eichmann's execution was a violation of Jewish law, which has banned the death penalty for almost 2,000 years.

3. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

Not all Jews are Caucasian.

That is true Aya. My point though is it is wrong to take even all Jewish descendents, and make that ethnic mixture into a race.

I agree with you there.

Thanks, I am encouraged.

4. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

And Zionist aren't necessarily Jewish, nor practice the religion.

And Khazars aren't "Jewish" either. They converted for political reasons.

The State of Israel is not a religious entity.They do not practice Judaism. Or they could never do what they are doing. Period, end of story.

Any true religion would never allow usury, and that is what banking is based on.

"Any true religion would never allow usury, and that is what banking is based on."
      Whaaaaat?

2. bgamall profile image67

Interesting post. Yes, Zionists, like Leo Strauss, could be atheistic. Interesting point about the Khazars.

True about the state of Israel. It is not Jewish and was founded by bolsheviks.

True religion does not allow usury, however, the definition of usury is not as strict as some religions say. For example, Jesus expected that you earn interest, in the parable he gave. So some sort of credit was assumed. I would rather see that excessive usury be outlawed. Excessive usury like what we see now from the banksters is wrong, by any standard. Interested in your thoughts.

5. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

Jewishness?

Are you starting a word association Jim? smile

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Not a race, but certainly a distinct culture unto itself.
    I say this based on my marriage to a NY Jewish "atheist." His parents were ethnically Jewish to the max but patently anti-religious. Would don a yarmukah (sp) at family weddings, but otherwise, no temple or torah for this family.
    I will give examples of the behaviors and mannerisms that make them "cultural Jews" that if you like.
    The extended family includes emigrants from Poland, Russia and Egypt (got out in the 1960s)....

7. knolyourself profile image59

"Israel does not define Judaism,"
    I thought Israel was founded as a refuge for Jews, not atheist Bolsheviks.

Both are correct. The founders were Bolsheviks, and religion was not the issue. Protection of the ethnic group and culture was the issue.

8. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

There is no concept of race in Judaism.

Jews can be of any race. Sammy Davis Jr, Yaphet Kotto, and Connie Chung are all Jews.

There are many, many Israelis who are not Caucasian. The largest populations are of Ashkenazi (European) and Sephardic (Middle-Eastern) Jews, but that doesn't mean every Jew is Caucasian. Beta Israel (Ethiopian Jews) form a large population in Israel.

The fact that Jews define their Jewish matrilineally should not imply there is a race. First, if your father is a Jew but your mother is not, then you're not Jewish (traditionally speaking). The reverse (Jewish mother but Gentile father) does make you a Jew.

Second, anyone can convert to Judaism and Judaism forbids treating converts any different from those born Jewish. Jewish folklore is full of converts who are revered in the religion.

Think of Judaism as a large family: one you can join, but you can't really leave. smile

That is well said except that you aren't a Jew if you have a Jewish mother and you are an atheist. That definition is only for entrance into the nation of Israel, and comes from Ezra.

But the deal is, if you are an atheist you can have both parents Jewish and not be Jewish.

People leave all the time. A minority of Bolsheviks were descendants of Jewish parents. They left.

That's not true, at least not halakhically-speaking. If you are born a Jew or convert to Judaism, you will always be a Jew. It can't be reversed. (Although that might be moot if you don't self-identify as Jewish and don't care what the definition of a Jew is under halakha)

You can be atheist and still Jewish. You may not practice the Jewish faith, but if/when you do, you don't have to convert if you were atheist.

That is a minor technicality. You know what I mean. Besides, if you want to get technical, the elect Jews are made up of Jew and Gentile in Paul's New Man. For me that is the final say on the matter.

9. knolyourself profile image59

So what are atheist Bolsheviks doing in Palestinian land?

According to religious Zionists, they acknowledge that atheistic Zionists formed Israel but that they would eventually embrace the religion. It is unlikely that that actually happened.

2. livelonger profile image87

Where should they go instead? They weren't exactly enjoying a warm welcome where they were living before.

No argument there.

10. knolyourself profile image59

So "atheistic Zionists" would not use the bible as property title?

11. knolyourself profile image59

"Where should they go instead?" Maybe where they expect the Palestinians to go.

That would be all of the other 22 Arab countries where Palestinians wouldn't be singled and persecuted for their religion or perceived ethnicity. There is exactly one country where Jews are the majority and where being a Jew certainly won't subject you to murder or expulsion.

You do realize that Jews were kicked out of Arab lands when Israel was formed, right?

Do you realize that Palestinians aren't Arabs ethnically and that all the Arabs know this and discriminate against them when they try to go elsewhere?

Palestinians are not Arabs?

1. Len Cannon profile image89
            Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Palestinians have traditionally been treated very poorly in any country they seek refuge in.

A shame for the Arab world. If you mean the refugee camps, that's because the Arab world wants them to live in temporary housing until they're repatriated (when the Jews are pushed into the sea).

2. Aya Katz profile image84

Yes. Come on. You read my hub about this. It is not news to you, even if you disagree.

I have not read your Hub on it, but I have yet to meet a Palestinian who does not simultaneously identify as an Arab. They say Palestinians are Arabs just like Libyan, Egyptians and Jordanians are.

Libyans, Egyptians and Jordanians do not consider Palestinians to be Arabs. Palestinians do not consider themselves to be Arabs. They are Judeans who never left, and they went by the name "fellahin" (farmers) till outsiders started calling them Arabs.

You did comment on my hub "Israel: the Two Halves of the Nation" when it was first published here? Didn't you?

I'm not trying to force you to agree with me. I'm just saying this is not the first time you've heard this.

I've taken a look at your Hub, and I completely agree that people confuse Arab, Muslim, Palestinian like they are all synonymous. At any rate, like I said, I have yet to meet a Palestinian who doesn't consider him/herself Arab as well. Maybe there are some "purists" who trace their lineage to Judea or something, but most seem to not have problems calling themselves Arabs.

Maybe there's a reliable poll that says otherwise.

Livelonger, thanks! Like most people, Palestinians are proud of who they are. You will not get any Palestinian today telling you he is a Judean, because they don't want to be associated with Jews, but they will tell you that their people have always lived in Palestine, which if you think about it, is the same thing!

And as for those people who care about genetic markers, they've got the same ones.  But I am not all that impressed with the racial argument. I'm just saying, they're not Arabs by anybody's estimation except complete outsiders.

12. knolyourself profile image59

Ya da ya da there are a million reasons, the point being millions of people come from one land for whatever reason take up residence in another people's land, seems like that is going to cause some major problems.

13. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

A person can be ethnically Jewish but not religiously Jewish and vice-versa. Being Semitic very much is a valid ethnic/racial description.

14. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I'm hardly a modern historian, but it seems the real issue is that Palestinians are used as living chess pieces by any number of governments who want to use them for their own ends.

Yes, and it's sad.

Hopefully they will have their own homeland soon.

Indeed.

15. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Just because any individual participates or practices a religion, it doesn't not make them a race. wink

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The easiest way to think of a race is to think in biological terms. Unfortunately, that is also the most racist way of thinking of it. wink

16. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

Livelonger, maybe I am mistaken. If you did not read the hub, I invite you to do so. ;->

17. AnnCee profile image66
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

I see, the entire idea of "race" is now politically incorrect.  http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/teresahawley/emoticons/emoticon_shh.jpg

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 123707.htm

18. knolyourself profile image59

AnnCee glad you made this genetic thing clear. Israel is the only state in the world that has a specific identity as necessary to become a citizen, and allowed to get away with it.

Ha!  It'll never stand against political correctness.  Political correctness is like an algebra of lies.   Call something something else and you can go through rabbit holes into never never land.  smile

That's not true at all.

As I said before (which you ignored), you can convert to Judaism and immigrate into Israel under the Law of Return. I've known people who have done this.

By the same token, a born-Jew can convert to Christianity and not be allowed to immigrate into Israel under the Law of Return. This is what happened to a relative of Barbra Streisand, in fact.

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Well, it's certainly both, depending on the beholder smile

20. knolyourself profile image59

Never much cared for Political correctness. When I was a kid there was always and emphasis on proper grammar. I have always been a lover of slang. So I like to mix and match where appropriateness may be dictated by circumstance. More creative.

I agree with that!  I also purposely misspell words to tweak the meaning sometimes.   Playing with language is fun.

21. Jefsaid profile image71
    Jefsaidposted 13 years ago

Wow! I am not of Jewish faith but probably started this whole debate in an earlier forum.

However, I am still confused by the issue of race.  Judaism is a religion surely? Those that follow its faith are then Jews are they not, irrespective of race.  There appears to be a particular lineage of people(I am not clear on what that is historically) that have assumed ownership of the religion and the title 'Jews' despite its roots transcend race as it also originally existed in Egypt/Ethiopia and they were of African descent.  It is curious to me as an outside observer that despite the sad conflict, this lineage of people who have inherited the racial description of 'Jews' appear similar in appearance to the Palestinians.

Read more.

1. Jefsaid profile image71
        Jefsaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AnnCee.  I think I have understood the Palestinian connection from Aya Katz

2. Jefsaid profile image71

Ahh! Livelonger explains the rest.

3. Jefsaid profile image71

I did not realise that the issue of being Jewish was so complicated and diverse.  It is like a World in itself.

There's a joke I heard recently:

There was a flight going from New York to Miami that had a lot of Jewish passengers that was hijacked mid-flight by Islamic terrorists.

One of the terrorists run up to the front of the cabin, brandished a gun, and screamed, "Who among you in Jewish?!"

From the back, a man raises his hand and says, "That's an interesting question..."

lol

2. Jefsaid profile image71

There is a similar joke about people from my ethnic background where a person asks a Jamaican "Is it true that you always answer a question with a question" and the Jamaican replies "Why, who wants to know?"

lol!

Peace and love to the World!

3. AnnCee profile image66

Funny.

4. profile image0
            BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL.
            Brilliant!

22. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Newsflash: we're all humans. Get over yourself.

????

If the topic doesn't interest you, why are you wading into it?

Or are you trying to define what people are allowed to discuss?

1. profile image0
        BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he is just as confused as I was when I saw this title.
        The Jewish people I know (about 5) do refer to themselves as a "Race".
        It is kind of a difficult subject since you don't really want to offend people.

23. ReuVera profile image81
    ReuVeraposted 13 years ago

I agree with livelonger with everything he says. He knows what he is talking about. I can agree with Aya to some extend, but not absolutely. The nation is identified by history, culture and language. There is no such a thing as Palestinian culture, or Palestinian language. Also, there was no such a notion as Palestinians before 1948. It is the same as to call New Yorkers or Chicagoans "a nation". But is is absolutely separate topic.
    About Israeli citizenship. From my experience I know that Israel law allows immigration to Israel and grants citizenship up to fourth generation of Jewish descendants. Of course, if the trace goes by female line, it is easy- you are Jewish without problem. But even if you have a proof that your paternal great-grandfather was a Jew, you have a right to immigrate to Israel. Only in this case you are not considered a Jew. In Israeli ID (teudat zehut) you will NOT have written "Yehudi" ("Jewish"). This is the difference.
    Also, spouses of Jews are also granted citizenship. There are special cases when Israeli citizenship is granted to "Righteous among the Nations"- gentile people who were saving Jews. Many Europeans who were saving Jews during WW2 have Israeli citizenship. Another example is a brave nanny from Mumbai, who saved a Jewish child during a terroristic attack. Also, Israel grants citizenship to refugees (example- Darfur refugees). The difference is that in those cases, though Israeli citizens, these people are not Jews.

I would say, that Jews are not a religion (Judaism is a religion), not a nationality, but a Family. Big family of different races (Jews may be Caucasian, as well as black, yellow, red). It is a big Family.

24. AnnCee profile image66
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

Can political correctness deny that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)