Who in here still thinks diet soda is good for your health?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Versatile Health profile image60
    Versatile Healthposted 12 years ago

Ok, got another one for ya! We are very proactive in our quest to rid toxins from peoples lives: diet soda is a BIG area of concern that we frequently like to address. Let us know if you're still drinking this stuff and we can talk about it...we have some eye-opening info that you may be interested in seeing.

1. kmackey32 profile image65
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate diet soda. Grose...

Versatile Healthposted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha, that's the answer we're looking for!

Thanks, I always have the right answers...hahaha

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont like the taste of any diet drinks ,prefer water.

What I dont understand is why health professionals encourage the use of aspartame i.e sweeteners ,and other foodstuffs.

http://aspartame.mercola.com/

I hate the nasty stuff.

3. Healthpages profile image62
          Healthpagesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Diet soda gives u good factor only when you have gas or digestion problem in your tummy..

how so?

2. free-diet-tips profile image61
      free-diet-tipsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it is irresponsible of manufacturers to use the word "diet" when promoting anything like this. Is drinking it going to make you lose weight (fat)? I don't think so. It is a blatant case of mis-advertising and it should be stopped by the government. You can't advertise like this in any other area except food. Perhaps if somebody sued them for not losing weight from drinking their "diet" products, then they would stop.

3. Freegoldman profile image40
      Freegoldmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised" Fowler and co-researchers Helen Hazuda and Ken Williams said in an abstract. "They may be free of calories, but not of consequences." Though scientists aren't exactly sure why zero-calorie beverages cause wider waists, they definitely are sure it happens. "The more diet sodas people drank, the more their waists grew," Fowler told The Post. "For people who drink two or more diet sodas a day, their waist increase was five times those who drank no diet sodas—almost two inches."

Some researchers, however, think the weight gain associated with diet sodas has more to do with drinkers' other habits, as it is hard to tell if a diet soda drinker was sneaking French fries on the side. "I've seen people use Sweet'N Low in coffee, and then have a scone. Or someone would have a Diet Coke with their potato chips," Lisa Young, an NYU nutritionist, pointed out.

4. Obscure_Treasures profile image56
      Obscure_Treasuresposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For those of you with a diet soda in your hands, the news isn’t any better, in fact it’s worse! Carol Simontacchi from her book The Crazy Makers: How the Food Industry Is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children states, “One liter of an aspartame-sweetened beverage can produce about fifty-six milligrams of methanol. When several of these beverages are consumed in a short period of time (one day, perhaps), as much as two hundred fifty milligrams of methanol are dumped into the bloodstream, or thirty-two times the EPA limit.” So, you’re poisoning your body, too.

And when it comes to saccharin, which is a noncaloric petroleum derivative estimated to be three hundred to five hundred times sweeter than sugar: “More than a dozen animal tests over the last thirty years have demonstrated the carcinogenic effects of saccharin in the bladder and other sites, particularly female reproductive organs, and in some instances at doses as low as the equivalent of one to two bottles of diet pop daily.”

With diet soda, you’ve gone from high calories to poisonous levels of methanal and an increased chance of developing cancer. Not a very good trade.

5. nickshamrock profile image61
      nickshamrockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We all know it's not good for us, but I drink it religiously because it's cheap and I like the taste. I look at the $1 2-liter bottle of diet soda, and the $4 gallon of tea and go with the cheaper.

6. cooldad profile image60
      cooldadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I switched from drinking regular soda to diet because of the sugar.  I know I shouldn't drink soda at all, but I do.  Am I better off drinking regular soda instead of diet?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You will find different opinions about it, but either kind of soda runs the risk of causing obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular problems.
        If you look around, you'll notice a lot of overweight people who drink a lot of either kind of soda, and they also have type 2 diabetes. I don't see the benefit in taking those risks.

I found this article at Men's Fitness.
        http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/be … soft-drink

Look at all the fat children who live on soda because it's so cheap.

1. cooldad profile image60
          cooldadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.  I have four children and don't let them drink soda.  But, it is amazing when my wife and I grocery shop how cheap the unhealthy food is compared to how expensive the healthy food is.  I can see how people with limited funds will buy unhealthy food.  That's a bad cycle.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is a bad cycle and families find it hard to figure out how to eat healthy on a limited budget, but it is possible with some guidance and education. There is plenty of info online or a visit to a local library. Some grocery chains even have helpful advice in brochures at the entrance.

Part of the issue with our food is the abundance of corn. Corn is king, it's cheap, it's surplus.  So the food industry figured out how to use corn in just about anything. Corn syrup is in so many different kinds of food and drink. And a lot of it is cheap junk.

Good for you for not letting your kids drink soda. I heard a story over the weekend that a parent was sending her preschooler to school with a water bottle full of soda instead of water. The child had major behavior problems. Can you imagine?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
              Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes ,even worse than that,toddlers with sweetened fruit juice in their bottles!!! because they dont like the taste of water?

7. profile image50
      PatriciaPriorposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so.

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

It seems everything we eat or drink is bad for us.  Except of course the things that used to be bad for us, which are now good for us.  I think the worry though about it may be even worse for us than the food itself.  And, in the end, no matter what we eat or drink, we all end up dead.  So, we may as well enjoy our food, because eating is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

1. profile image0
      CollBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, eating is definitely one of the best pleasures in life.  Drinking but moderately.

There's so much in the news about lamb, chicken, pork.  You name it.  Not to mention diet drinks,  mineral water, coffee and such.

I tend to eat what I like, in moderation for whatever we eat or drink, it is apparently bad for us.  If we don't die of pesticides from eating too much fruits and vegetables, it'll be some illness caught from eating too much meat or inhaling smoke from those who smoke a lot.

Nothing, it appears, is safe to drink (or eat).

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I gave up caffeine soda a long time ago. I prefer drinking natural juices or just plain water, but I do have a sprite or fanta from time to time. My husband drinks Diet Coke constantly! What can I tell him to make him quit?

4. KK Trainor profile image61
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

I couldn't make it through the day without at least 3 Diet Dr. Peppers and you're not talking me into quitting! I love it and have no fear of the 'consequences' to my health.

5. Greg Sage profile image40
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

A dozen or so years back, I was talking to someone from the FDA who told me that 70% of ALL food additive complaints they received that year were for one single item:

Nutra-sweet. (aspartame)

The simple version for the chemically averse is that parts of it essentially metabolize into a form of formaldehyde in your body.

Nothing like voluntarily embalming yourself from the inside out.

I heard about that. Thousands of cases each year of health complaints directly tied to aspartame! Crazy Stuff!

2. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

formaldehyde is also in Miller High Life. It's a clear bottle. Most beer bottles are brown because sun degrades the beer.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes … q-20058236

Brominated vegetable oil — or BVO for short — is a food additive sometimes used to keep citrus flavoring from separating out in some sodas and sports drinks. Controversy has long surrounded the use of BVO. It's banned as a food additive in Europe and Japan but not in the U.S. There also have been a few reports of people experiencing memory loss and skin and nerve problems after drinking excessive amounts (more than 2 liters a day) of soda containing BVO

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpeoplesadvocacycouncil.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F07%2Fa-soda-a-day-keeps-makes-you-go-astray.jpg&f=1

CAUTION - THOSE WITH SENSITIVE STOMACHS MAY NOT WANT TO PROCEED
      http://pletcher5journey.blogspot.com/20 … amily.html

A year ago, a PepsiCo lawyer admitted in court something we all pretty much knew but chose to blistfully ignore - Mountain Dew was eating us from the inside out.

What Happens If You Boil Mountain Dew?
      https://youtu.be/adbb0nbUBh4
      If read the description tell you all about the different chemicals.

And it's not just Mt. Ew, .

6. Versatile Health profile image60

I see that there are some people in here still on the diet train...no problem. I'm simply just trying to get some opinions of diet drinkers. I have recently read some crazy stuff linking diet soda to some very disturbing and life-altering conditions. To be honest, people are prob better off drinking real soda than diet. Science is proving that the substances within a can of diet soda are nothing to mess around with!

7. Versatile Health profile image60

I'm heading to a baseball game right now guys but will be back to discuss this further ; )

8. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

way to much salt and fake sweetener to be of any value for health

I love salt and sugar...smile

9. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Stivia is actually not all that bad, as far as artificial sweeteners go. 

Hmm...  haven't written a hub about that herb yet...

Stevia is an awesome choice! I think that is a great idea for a hub!

2. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stevia is not artificial smile

10. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 12 years ago

I'm too late aspartame has already been mentioned. The stuff is a chemical poison which was originally not supposed to be on the market, but the head of the FDA at the time was replaced and his replacement approved it without any evidence of it being safe.

The reason so many people drink diet soda despite how much it taste like crap is because aspartame is essentially a drug and people get hooked, plus there's the misconception of it being healthier because it has 0 calories.

Before I go on blabbing too much, I'll end with the fact that there are plenty of false claims of it not being bad for you and the whole 9 yards, but consider the fact that back in the day doctors were used in cigarette ads.

Right on fit2day: perfect reply! And 100% on the money!

2. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You comment about doctors, and the cigarette ads says it all. They only business in this country that is making money is the healthcare industry, doctors, and Lawyers. Just look at all the television ads on TV trying to get you to go to your doctor to get the latest and greatest cure for what they are trying to convince you is an illness. Restless leg, dry eye, irregular bladder, you name it there's a pill for it.

This is no different than the old days guy from the early 1900s on the corner trying to sell the miracle in the bottle. Only now the cost of the miracle in a bottle has gone up 1000 percent, and all the claims of those healing drugs being approved by a doctor is garbage. If you read the fine print at the bottom of the screen it usually says, this drug has not been approved by the food and drug adminstration...which means product recall and lawsuits.

The sad thing is, is that they recall all these products, settle the lawsuits, and then the product is hardly ever mentioned again. So? Were people taking a totally worthless product all this time, because some smart advertiser convinced them that it worked when it didn't? And, how do we know that any product we are putting into our bodies is safe? Who are we supposed to trust, when the people who are supposed to be watching all these products only get involved when someone sues?

There is talk that a lot of the food and drug administration officials are also employed by drug manufacturers, and corporate food producers.

Very well put brimancandy...right on!

11. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

I only buy what is on sale. But, i have grown to like the taste of Diet pop of the regular. But, I know that neither of them is good for me. I drink it because I like it. In fact, I have a glass of Diet Coke sitting in front of me right now!

Lol, it's all good buddy, we are simply here to circulate information and inform the people. We do A LOT of research and feel that it is necessary to circulate amongst the masses as much as possible. One day at a time, we will change how this world is eating!

12. profile image52
    Michealleoposted 12 years ago

i dont think so it's good for health . And why u need to drink it . u should drink some kinda fresh juices instead of these preservative drinks .

1. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you think of as fresh produce is also loaded with additives to make the product last longer. Make bananas more yellow, and oranges more orange.
      Not to mention all the pesticides that are sprayed onto produce to keep away the bugs. That, and a lot of the produce we get is imported from countries that have no health guidelines, so that supermarkets can sell them cheaper. One reason why there are so many produce related illnesses running around.

13. superhubby profile image59
    superhubbyposted 12 years ago

It's funny because people at my place of employment drink it (you know the brand) religiously usually with a cheesesteak! It's horrible for your bones (phosphoric acid) and has high fructose corn syrup in it (despite the reduced levels).  Retire it already.

14. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 12 years ago

I wish someone, or perhaps a class action should ensue to sue the pants off the diet soda industry.  A bit like cigarettes causing cancer. At least now there are warnings on cigarette packets.

Soda's full of aspartame and high fructose corn syrup - people are so being fooled.  Why are there no warning labels on this poison?

15. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Here you go, I have this on one of my hubs.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/2834207_f260.jpg

Aspartame is also found in low calorie desserts, jello, toothpaste,
    gum, cereal, breath mints, kool-aid, chewable vitamins. Check the labels.

1. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Time to get even - I don't buy any product that has aspartame.  No more gum, no more mints, any of it.  It's the best way to get even - cut them off at the cash register.

2. talfonso profile image84
      talfonsoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of Jello - I make my own. I soften gelatin in cold, strong green tea with lemon juice, add boiling water, and perhaps sweeten it with honey or stevia. Better than the sugarfree types!

16. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 12 years ago

I know that it's not fantastic to our health, but Muetti and I still drink diet soda (and those sugar-free drink mixes like Crystal Light), although I drink less than her! But my body's hankering for seltzer and a bit of green tea, lemon, and a touch of stevia (which is natural). For now, I'm drinking mock lemonade with stevia, lemon juice, and water or just lemon juice and water for the main part.

17. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 12 years ago

Diet sodas is not any better for your health than regular sodas. I drink mostly water. Sodas has too much sugar included.

18. mcgreg28 profile image63
    mcgreg28posted 12 years ago

I mostly drink water but if i must have a soda i opt to drink diet in leu of the regular. I am quite aware of its negative effect, nevertheless i fine comfort in 'seeing' 0 calorie.

19. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I drink diet soda all the time: diet Hawaiian punch, diet cranberry juice, and diet blueberry juice. They're all non-carbonated and have lots of vitamin C.

1. talfonso profile image84

Have you read the labels, on those drinks, by chance? You should because they might contain aspartame, saccarin, or Splenda. They might alter your metabolism among other bad things.

20. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I've just written a hub about alternatives to diet drinks. If anyone has any suggestions for improvements I would love to hear them.

21. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

My daughter drank seven diet cokes a day and it altered her metabolism and she ended up with a huge weight gain and kidney problems that plagued her for years and migraine headaches. She was addicted to the caffeine and aspartame sweetener

1. talfonso profile image84

Ouch - that's why I'm weaning my butt off them. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Have you heard of the NoFizz USA 30-Day Challenge? It's something you do for that time period - drinking at least 60 ounces of pure water or naturally flavored (yet no-calorie) beverages. As participant, I'm halfway through the challenge and lost 5 pounds. I attribute this to ousting the diet sodas as well as regular.

I recommend this to your daughter - tell her about it and wean her into it. I hope she would feel and look better.

22. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

She is better now, but it took a mediation  to get her off the bad stuff and then will power and support from friends to keep her off. A doctor got addicted and has a website to help others.

23. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 12 years ago

i drink all of it but i dont think its very good for us.
    i love mt dew.

24. Dawn Conklin profile image70
    Dawn Conklinposted 12 years ago

I don't drink a lot of soda at all but I can't drink diet.  I can't drink anything with any kind of sweetener in it.  I can't stand the taste of stuff with splenda, and diet soda gives me a very bad stomach ache.  I do drink coffee but nothing artificially sweetened.  I have read that you shouldn't drink anything with aspertame or saccarin when you are pregnant as they are not sure that it won't cause cancer.  Scary stuff!!

25. wilson51288 profile image56
    wilson51288posted 12 years ago

Diet soda is definitely not good, not after the health problem it creates in human body. kidney problem, bone loss, decaying tooth and most common is weight gain... its quite difficult to resist drinking due to social place i visit i m always offered with drinks.. most of time i resist but sometimes its only diet drinks which are available.. anyhow.. i m not in favor of it..

26. musclequest profile image60
    musclequestposted 12 years ago

Yeah I use to love it,but now I rather just drink good old water

27. Sottway profile image68
    Sottwayposted 12 years ago

What I find more baffling is how diet soda has such a high amount of caffeine in it...

Caffeine has been proven to have absolutely no taste, so why would they bother using it? Of course though, people can become addicted to caffeine...

Oh what will happen next just to sell some lousy soda!

28. Prima723 profile image60
    Prima723posted 11 years ago

Soda itself is unhealthy.  Diet usually means the one bad thing is replaced with a chemical that will probably cause more problems than the original.  Soda itself needs to be cut out of any person's diet who is thinking of health.

29. Bonsie007 profile image61
    Bonsie007posted 11 years ago

I'm a type 1 diabetic and can remember as a child drinking Tab. It was my first diet soda. I hated it then and certainly wouldn't drink it now. Over the years, I've tried so many different diet brands of diet sodas but now stick to just water. So much healthier and inexpensive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)