Is America finished?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (149 posts)
  1. preacherdon profile image63
    preacherdonposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5251258.png
    I'm going to write a hub on this but I wanted to see what others say. Is America finished as a world leader? A world power? Has she jumped the shark, so to speak? Take into consideration our escalating debt, our overburdened justice system, our moral decay, our wars on terrorism, our deteriorating education system, our aimless government, and our leaderless political system.

1. thaivalentine profile image60
      thaivalentineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many people in Asia see the "reign" of America as over.  At this time, Europe is the preferred destination.   I think there are a number of reasons for the fall of America:

* The cost of fighting several wars simultaneously(look what happened to any "empire" after prolonged fighting, for a more recent example, consider Russia after Afghanistan)

* America was a power because of "The Greatest Generation", the people who were around during WWII.  The US is no longer like that and the rest of the world is not in awe - the Chinese now hold that position.

* The changing face of US immigration.  The people entering the US now are the unskilled and uneducated.  The majority of people being born now are Hispanic and they are not the ones to lead the country. 

* American schools: Now ranked 17th best education system in he world and getting worst every day.  Can't remain competitive with sub-par schools.

1. Moderndayslave profile image61
        Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The truth hurts.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60
        uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keep your eyes on China.  That economy is facing a bubble that is about to pop.  There is a demographic disaster looming and a powerful central government that cannot possibly be agile enough.  The great Chinese juggernaut is, just now, starting to list.

3. KK Trainor profile image60
        KK Trainorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a shame so many people in Asia are still living in mud with their animals and their governments completely ignore them. It's as if they don't even exist, as I'm sure the governments would like the world to believe. Are those people getting that great education you speak of? How about those who are forced to work for days on end with little food and who must live on site so that they can't escape? I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in America living in such conditions.

1. ElderYoungMan profile image67
          ElderYoungManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depends on where you look.  There are plenty of folks that fit that profile right here in the country.

2. preacherdon profile image63
          preacherdonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. Come to the delta and you'll find people who live like they are in a thrid world nation. They live in shed with no electricity and no running water.

4. preacherdon profile image63

I agree on all counts. Much of this I highlight in my new post.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not yet, but Mystery Babylon is dying fast.  I blame many things - but ultimately we Americans must take the blame.

3. Rudra profile image68
      Rudraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No doubt. Another war after Libya and they are over.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll

2. KK Trainor profile image60

Oh really? How so, I'd love to hear it.

4. CHRIS57 profile image60
      CHRIS57posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Things are accelerating. The Roman empire lasted for some 1400 years (700 bc to 500 ac), the British empire ruled a good 400 years and now - the American empire will be down within the next 10 years, giving it a lifespan of some 200 years.

As S.P. Huntington wrote in his book "Clash of Civilizations.." peak of western democratic powers was right after WWI, when British Prime Minister Lloyd George, French President Poincare and US President Woodrow Wilson could meet for a cigar and make final decisions for any place on this planet.

From the early 60ties on with ampitious technological and political goals (spaceflight to the moon, wars in virtually any place on earth) the US gradually lost its superior productivity that could pay for all this. After the end of the cold war this development only accelerated.

For the time being the world still thinks it needs the US because the world invested lots money and the US represented an important trade partner. Actually that is what keeps the US economy from collapsing. Just do a little math and subtract the trade deficit and the quantitive easing from the GDP and you find a real economy roughly with the performance of Italy, with full respect to Italy, but no better.

I give the US at most another 10 years, but probably economy won´t make it that long.

America was and still is the leader for western way of life. In general the last 60 years were good and prosperous times for most on this planet. Let us see what the next superpower in the line of history will have to offer.

1. KK Trainor profile image60

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but America has never been imperial. We have not gone to the ends of the earth looking for every bit of soil we could plant a flag on like the Romans or the British. There is no comparison. We have very few territories around the world except for a few strategic islands.
        The Roman Empire fell because the people and government became decadent and devolved into debauchery without a care for what was happening to their empire outside of Rome.

The British Empire fell because they were destroyed by two World Wars and had no stomach for fighting again. Most of them still feel that way and many still live like World War II just happened. It took everything out of them and they are to be commended for being as powerful as they still are considering the beating they took.

1. Stone Gifts profile image59
          Stone Giftsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Previous empires conquered lands, nowadays the USA try to conquer minds. Almost all countries in the world depend on US dollar, isn't a feature of contemporary empire?

2. CHRIS57 profile image60
          CHRIS57posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The word "Empire" may be outdated. Replace it by "Superpower" and we are back on track.

5. GNelson profile image60
      GNelsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No not yet.  Our leaders need to remember that they are Americans first and quit the gamesmanship .

6. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, America is in decline. It has let go of its foundational underpinnings, and over the decades exchanged freedom from tyranny for progressivism which is ultimately founded on, I'll come out and say it, communism. The original intent of the Founders to keep government out of the church has been reversed to keep God and Christian principles out of government. America has lost its heart.

I agree with you about government was to stay out of the church. As I told someone the other day, the door in the 'wall of separation' of church and state appears to only swing one way. As I prophesied in my book, the time will soon come when preaching the Word of God will be considered hate speech and preachers will either be arrested or churches will lose their tax exempt status.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may be right, Preacher Don, but I seriously doubt it! I do not think those who rule will ever move on a large scale against religions and their institutions.  The bible, for example, has proven itself to be the best manual ever published for controlling the masses. It is the most effective weapon found in the politician’s arsenal. There may be more than one lesson buried in the plot of the motion picture The Book of Eli.
          http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_boo … s/11096611

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All I found on the link was an ad for tic tacs. smile

Try again,,,

1. earnestshub profile image80
                earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I got it this time. smile

Hey! I loved that movie!

3. preacherdon profile image63

That was an interesting movie. I found it quite thought-provoking.

7. Quilligrapher profile image73

Hi there, Reverend. I am looking forward to reading your hub.
      While there is no shortage of gloom and doom on Hubpages, most opinions on this subject are unsubstantiated wishful thinking.  The U.S. remains a leader and a power in the world. Our allies, many of whom were ignored by unilateral decisions during the prior administration, welcomed a change of leadership in the White House.  (See "The Bush Administrations's Image of Europe: From Ambivalence to Rigidity" by Charles-Philippe David and Frédéric Ramel
      http://www.gmu.edu/academic/ijps/vol8_1 … Ramel.htm.)
      The escalating debt, morals, terrorism, education, effective governance and quality of political leadership are not issues unique to America and must be examined on a global scale.  U.S. output is projected to grow 2.5% in 2011. That’s not spectacular, I agree, but, among the advanced economies, only Germany (3.2%) is expected to do better. In 2012, the U.S. output is projected to grow another 2.7% and to be better than Germany, Canada, and the U.K. according to data published for the advanced economies by the International Monetary Fund. (http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2011/update/02/)
      No sir, Reverend. I wouldn’t plan a wake for America just yet.
      And, please let me know when you publish your hub.

I was just published today. I thank you for your comments. I hope America is not finished but she seems to be staggering along. I look forward to reading your comments to the hub. I will likely post another one soon that has statistical data much like your comment.

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
          DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

great topic, your timeline is way off btw. i pledge allegiance, to the flag, and to the REPUBLIC, for which it stands......when ben franklin walked out of freedom hall in 1776 someone yelled out and asked, "what kind of government did you give us"? A republic, if you can keep it, was his reply. when we passed the federal reserve act in 1913 that day was end of the republic. so many pride themselves on being democratic or republican, and neighter are representative of a true "republic". they are two sides of the same coin under the democracy that fools all the fools into thinking they are represented in matters of our lives and what is beneficial for us. most don't even know the fed reserve is a private corporation that controls the money supply. never been audited. when you lend money into existance, it is mathmatically impossible to ever pay off. for some to succeed, others must fail. common law, is now admiralty law or commercial laws. registrations changed our status with our former servants (government people) what used to be a volunteered position is now a huge profession-politics. watch the movie Ants with syl stallone-it is exactly a mirror of our life today. it cannot go on indefinitely. there is not one paper currency in history that has ever lasted. our world has experience hyperinflation 8 times in the last decade around the world. the US dollar is the longest running currency in history, if you have studied history and transfers of wealth with new monies, you know what is ahead. thanks again for a thought provoking topic. Dr. Mike

Apparently, that isn't true from people who have borrowed money and created empires, which I am sure that the debt borrowed was indeed paid off. So, please.
            Are you attempting philosophy with that statement? I hope not. It's common knowledge that some succeed and some will fail. It's not a must for them to fail, but they do.
            Interesting statement. I prefer to call it the "status quo", which is government's protection for corporations. Also known as "corporate protectionism". As long as it continues, things are only going to get worse.

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
              DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

what i was talking about was the system creation. first off, "only congress shall have the power to create money thereof"...that was for our protection. a fiat currency at its very beginning, that has not printed ONE bill yet-LOANS us that paper (the US government) into existance. the first person who borrows the first 10K at any interest rate, will be impossible for the government or the individual to pay back-there is only 10K in existance. someone else has to borrow, and then not have enough money in existance to pay off the debts, and thus it continues. the US paid back the loans/debt to the bankers with REAL money-United States gold and sliver coins of standard weights and measure-that is what money is, not fed reserve notes-note are iou's. debt instruments. negotiable instruments. currency. only money is money. we haven't used it since the early 70's and nixon abolished its use. so, the bankers of the world, have "kept it in the family for centuries". Baron Von Rothschild in the early 1700's, "i care not what laws man makes, as long as i control the money supply". these folks have been at this for cneturies, and knwo what they are doing. no philosophy at all. thanks for keeping everyone sharp on the forums, you are fun to read with your insightful challenges.

2. McLaren 83 profile image60
        McLaren 83posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quilligrapher, i agree America may not be finished just yet, but when another country does take over the number 1 spot we may not even know about it when it happens. It will probably take numerous IMF and other fininancial reports before we get a clear picuture. China is likely to be the first country to take our position, but even when they do it will be hard to get our head around why they are now number 1. Living conditions, poverty and many other things will continue to be wrong with China, but their economy will be stronger and so could their military. China is already number 2 despite the terrible living standards created by communism. You wouldnt believe to look at them that they are now a superpower, but sadly they are.

I dont thinks its all as simple as it used to be when rich countries competed with each other. The poorest countries seem to be flexing their muscles these days. Nations as large as China and India are also very resourcefull and seem to be taking advantage of these resources now. They are also a source of cheap labor for the West and we seem more than happy to be sending our work there rather than keep it in the country and employee our own citizens. Unemployement and immigration even are contributing to factors to our decline. There are also some boundaries we wont cross, but countries like China will in order to boost productivity, economic and military strength.

Thats why i believe creating stronger friendships right now is extremely important. One day when China starts dictating terms, we will need Europe completely on our side, because no one wants to see that day come. India though is likely to take our side and having a political, economic and military rival on Chinas doorstep is a good thing, especially if they are our allies.

8. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

the downfall of the US has been caused by the people,not the government and until the people see this and realise it, things will only get worse. sure the government has over spent, over powered itself and is absurdly corrupt but the people of the US let it happen and continue to do so. wikileaks should have woken up people in the US to how bad it is getting to be but instead, they backed up their government, didn't even blink when mr. Assange was charged with crimes that were so fake it wasn't even funny. in the US , people think it's cool that a kid like justin bieber makes more in a year then the average person does in 2 lifetimes. you get what you asked for.

Wow, a lot of Canadians here telling us what's wrong with our country. Maybe Canada will be the next superpower since you all know so much about the reasons for our "downfall".

1. nightwork4 profile image61
          nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

no we wouldn't want to be. i'm not trying to insult you or your country but as usual , too many americans want to act like anyone who says anything negative about the US are blind. don't listen to what people from other countries have to say, it's up to you but we see what you folks fail to see. it's not personal, i love the US bud. it's the foolishness of the blind that i don't like.

You are right, nightwork4, the American people do bear the bulk of the responsibility. They have the power to make their politicians accountable for their actions, but they don't. Government is supposed to be of the people and for the people, as well as, by the people, but the people do nothing. It is sad. Much like the church who also sits by and does nothing while those who are against what we stand for continue to take more ground.

9. preacherdon profile image63

My new hub for this topic is up for all to comment on. It is at http://hubpages.com/hub/Is-America-Fini … ld-Leader.

10. wba108@yahoo.com profile image77
      wba108@yahoo.composted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll admit there are many in America who have abandoned God, and call wrong right and right wrong. If America doesn't return to the true God(Jesus) soon, this country may perish. But I feel that there is a substancial number of Godly poeple waiting in the wings and America will rise again. It may take some drastic circumstances to awaken this country from its journey away from God!

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Nope!

Not just yet.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

No.  The massive production capability that won WWII, the patriotism that brought the country together into one people on 911 is waiting in the wings. It is untapped for now but is available on short notice.

While our justice system is badly bent by politics, it is still serviceable and can be straightened. 

The moral decay is there, but not in the way most think.  It is not a matter of giving individuals freedoms they have a right to (gay marriage, perhaps), cursing in the streets or going topless on a beach.  Rather it is a matter of lost integrity and honor - we no longer find it necessary to uphold our word and petty theft is an everyday affair.  We ignore the laws we don't like (55mph) as if we are somehow better than everyone else.  This is a much larger problem, but the kernel is still there in most of us, and a large one.

The biggest problem I see is in the attitude, the mind set, of our elected masters.  To them, they are better than the ones that hired them for a job to be done and they have no intention of doing that job if it will jeopardize their income or power base.  This must change, but will take a truly massive uprising of the people to accomplish.  I believe the beginnings of the uprising are apparent and hope to see a radical change in our typical politician within a couple of decades.

4. preacherdon profile image63
    preacherdonposted 12 years ago

This uprising you refer to, is the the Tea Party I hear so much about? I also believe that some type of revolution must come into effect, as with Britain and the French, for there to be change.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Tea Party is an 'astroturf' movement. Astroturf is artificial manufactured grass made for stadiums. A 'grass roots' movement is natural and real.

The 'Tea Party' is mostly the product of Koch Industries, named after a couple of brothers with a 100 Billion dollar empire whose family history is part of the John Birch Society which was discredited in the 60s, which has its roots in McCartyism, which drew from the American Liberty League... all astroturf, with the objectives of preventing workers rights and exempting the wealthy from taxation.

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup....help the rich is their only agenda.

2. Cagsil profile image69

Nope. That's just another group to come along, again tell people what they want to hear.

Another distraction to distort and spread misinformation.

The "uprising" and/or "revolution", please do not think these two words are equal and/or same, they are not.

Yes, there will be at least 3 foreseen "uprising"s coming in the near future. After those 3 happen, then revolution will come. smile

5. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

Well as my dutch boyfriend said yesterday Europe has been around a lot longer than America. We were in the spot light for awhile, but you have to figure that most of the people that made this country came from Europe and the U.K. We were not the first, and we will not be the last. America has certainly changed. But we have so much to learn from the old countries that have done things longer and yet wiser. smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

If the Republicans get their way it will be...

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just dumb.

Hey Tony, what UW said isn't dumb. It however IS a one-sided view. It's incomplete.

How exactly is it a Republican problem? Because we are proud of our country and believe that our best days are ahead? Or could it be the Democrats who keep apologizing for our success and trying to make us like the failed and declining countries of Europe?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60

I no longer believe our best days are ahead precisely because Republicans are stupid when dealing with Democrats and Democrats are ignorant and destructive about economics, our Constitution, heck everything that matters.

The death spiral of the American economy is directly attributable to the actions of the Democrats and yet they are still supported and taken seriously.  The greatest threat our liberty has ever faced is not the Nazis or the Communists but the Democrats and the Republicans can't say it and liberals love it.

Well I agree that politics are the main problem, but I still think we'll be ok. I guess I'm a silly optimist when it comes to my country. But as someone who got a degree in Government because I loved politics growing up I am disgusted by what I see these days. I know things have always been tough in DC, but recently it seems like the American people have really gotten nasty and divided. The last President I can remember who seemed to have some support on both sides was Reagan, and now Republicans use his name so much that it's become a joke to bring him up.
          It's not about the President anyway, but about his advisors, and this President just doesn't have good ones. If he did, things would be very different I am sure, especially on the economic front. But we're stuck with his decisions, and a Congress that has really gotten to be an embarassment. We jsut have to live our lives best we can and wait for the fools to make decisions, we have very little say right now.

When you spoke of bad advisors I was reminded of Rehoboam in the the Bible. He, too, had bad advisors and you see how badly that turned out (1 Kings 12:1-19).

3. lovemychris profile image77

Agree!

7. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

If we do not remove the Socialist Democrat Liberal Progreessives, and their agendas, then yes America will be finished.

It has long been known that the leftists and Progressives would like to see America a second world nation, and their creation, China, as the worlds only super-power.

The Leftists and Progressives have built China up from scratch for 90 years, and are all aglee that their frankenstien is now in the position to smack America down and claim the top of the hill.

Treason... plain and simple.

Thus the managed decline of American Economic might we are even now witnessing.

Sad...

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"If we do not remove the Socialist Democrat Liberal Progreessives, and their agendas, then yes America will be finished."

Remove them from where? From the country? How would you propose to do that? Joe McCarthy is smiling at you down below.

However, the situation is pretty dystopian especially in the states controlled by the Teatards and Kochsuckers, notably Wisconsin, Indiana, Texas, Ohio, Arizona, and several others. And with the economic ignoramuses who are holding the country to Grover Norquist's no new taxes pledge in the middle of a recession.

8. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 12 years ago

We are not finished quite yet. But we have many factors that are certainly having us on the fast track to inevitable decline. For starts in a hardwired world there is no longer a sense of community. The family unit is on the verge of extinction. And good families make good citizens, good citizens make good communities and good communities make for a good country. We no longer have those ideals. We have lost our moral code as well. We no longer have the strong work ethic that those before us had. And we also have people in office and positions of power who have been there far to long. Democratic Senator Robert Byrd was in office for 56 years and we now have several who have been in office well over 40 years right now. Our forefathers were statesmen and never believed that political positions were supposed to be a lifelong career. We have to have term limits on these guys. And lastly look at who people spotlight, Real vapid housewives, Kardashians who have done nothing but lie on their backs for fame, and a bunch of Italian/ American kids whose claim to fame is vapidness and they can't even spell " The ". Nope we are not dead yet but we are circling the drain !

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Okay, let me say instead that if the current Republicans who are more interested in scoring brownie points and having this President fail than in the future of their country then it will fail.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I respectfully disagree with this.  If the government continues to spend and to raise taxes while we are  already in deep debt, and economic distress, we are in even deeper trouble. No country has ever been able to spend themselves out of debt.
      It's not about "brownie points", we all want the president to succeed and lead.

I agree, but you will not convince an Obama supporter...

We all live here, so why would we want a President to fail? And it's not about the comment Rush made... he wasn't talking about Obama himself, just about the policies we disagree with. There are a lot of us who disagree with stimulus spending and health care takeover who don't necessarily dislike the person, just the policy.

Rush called the president a Jack-Ass.

He most definately makes it about Obama himself. As does Beckles the Evil Clown, who called Obama a racist.

Do not for one second kid yourself. This is the politics of personal destruction. Learned at the feet of that boob who got down and dirty for Bush daddy and massacred a nice man.(Dukakis)

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

But it is Not a bout a person or a party. It is about the Policy.

1. TheWorldNow profile image61
              TheWorldNowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Calling someone a Jack-Ass is an insult on that person, nothing else. If you do something stupid and I call you a jack-ass that is insulting you because someone that does someone stupid isn't a jack-ass because they did something stupid.

Ok whatever, it's so much better when liberals cal Bush a Nazi. So different I guess.

Anyway I'm not a Rush lover or anything, I'm just tired of the argument that people like LMC make against conservatives, like we all worship him and have no thoughts of our own. If that justifies the liberal nastiness then that's fine, just leave me out of it because I have no part in it.

Really!? Conservatives throw around the Nazi insult on a weekly basis. Have you ever seen Fox News? Exactly...

Both sides are equally nasty, so let's stop pretending that liberals are evil and ruining America or something. Conservatives are just as bad, or worse.

Both sides do some stupid things and insult each other like children; let's not pretend one side is innocent

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

I absolutely agree with that, if that is what was said, but I was not talking about the name calling, I was talking about the policy.

Your definition of what will succeed in fixing this economy is different than the current administrations. I respect that, but just because you disagree with the way the President is going about things doesn't give you rhyme or reason to disrespect him or the office for which he stands.
                  You don't think what he is doing is correct, but he much certainly isn't trying to spite America and he definitely isn't being disrespectful toward Her or Her people. The problem with humanity is that no matter what you do there will be one side that opposes it and thus despises you for it.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
                    Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Must be a new Pledge Of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to my President,
                    and to the Office for which he stands:

lol

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

It's true than a country can't "spend itself out of debt" but prevailing economic theory says that countries can spend themselves out of a recession. Much of the current deficit is due to reduced tax collections due to the recession. We don't get much in taxes from people who are unemployed. The time to reduce the deficit is when we see light at the end of the recession tunnel and we're not there yet. In fact we may well be going backwards.

10. junko profile image71
    junkoposted 12 years ago

Not yet, has America finish it's run as World Leader. In the next 2 & 1/2 years the economy, and society maybe in turmoil. If the conservatives is willing to make Obama a one term President at any cost, Obama could be the last President of a free America. No president in the History of America has been defunded in the mist of two wars, an economic,and healthcare crisis. Picking this time and this President to pull the emergency brake on spending can speed up the fall of American. At this moment, all roads lead to America.

11. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

There's three kinds of people:

1. People who take from society.
    2. People who carry their own weight.
    3. People who carry their weight and give to society.

You're always going to have a mix of all three. But the balance since the 70's has shifted and we have way too many from the first group, a shrinking few from the second group, and not enough to even notice from the third.

I have no idea how you fix that. Seems like history suggests it all has to collapse or some major disaster has to happen to bring people together with a common purpose. Not saying I want that to happen, I just think we're gonna keep on going with the poor number 1's just taking their vouchers and the rich 1's just paying their 15% capital gains (or nothing at all) until the whole thing wrecks.

+1

You do understand how capital works?  Taking capital gains takes nothing from society.  In fact, placing ones capital, money, at risk to build wealth builds society.  It is a fundamental concept.  I buy stock in a corporation.  That corporation uses those funds to expand.  That expansion creates jobs and corporate income.  That corporation rewards stock holders with increased value to their stock, actual dividends or both.  The stock holders profit from the sale of the stock or from the dividends is a capital gain.

Where is the taking from society?  The investor actually gives to society by making economic growth possible.  The risk is rewarded.  If we stop rewarding risk taking then we stop progressing.

Because we are all too willing to characterize risk takers - those who earn a capital gain - as parasites on a society that we are doomed.

Our attitude toward our own freedom is what dooms us.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem with rewarding risk. But why should massive capital gains earned by people who didn't risk it only be taxed at 15%.

Hi, I'm a rich kid inheriting the wealth of 20 generations, all my income comes from stocks. I should only have to pay 15% tax on my massive income because "I risked it" by leaving all that wealth right where it's been for the last 100 years?

Really?

So you believe that your judgement is superior to the owner of that property.  It is indeed a risk to invest wealth and always has been.  Wealth rarely survives three generations of heirs.  Why should property - in this case money - be taxed multiple times merely because its ownership changes hands.  That property has already been taxed as income when it was originally earned.

Your presumption is that government and society are the same.  To leave that wealth where it can continue to generate value benefits society.  It does entail risk in that no investment is a sure thing.  Ask Bear-Stearns or Lehman Brothers.  Businesses that have existed for decades fail everyday.

The value of one's property is no one else' concern in a free society.  The mere idea that society has a claim on the private property of its members is one reason why we will fail.

If you want to resurrect the United States eliminate capital gains, inheritance tax and property tax.  Either institute a flat tax, the one proposed over a decade ago by Dick Armey was very innovative, or the Fair Tax.

But envy, sloth, jealousy and anger all dominate our understanding of wealth, income, property, capital and money.  That is why America will fail.  Rather than tend to our own we want the over weening State to tend to the business of everyone (exempting ourselves, of course).

It has nothing to do with my "judgment" about investments or risk over someone else's. I think you have, in your reflexive defensiveness, gone skimming so fast over what I wrote so you could make your well-rehearsed argument that you completely missed my point. Very few businesses that have existed for decades deal with the kind of wealth I'm talking about. And you know it. Or, if you don't know what kind of wealth I'm talking about, real wealth, then, well, this point I'm making is surely going to be lost on you again as I try to clarify.

Frankly, if that "few decades" thing is the kind of "wealth" you are talking about, you should be with me on this already and perhaps I just wasn't clear enough for you.

I agree with you 100%.  However, we are not a free society. We are a highly coerced society that is an oligarchy pulling the strings of a democracy that caters to the lowest common denominator. None of them care about the wealth you were just talking about. That's all money swirling around in the coin jar, shiny baubles that we all fight to hold on to if we happen to grab some of it.

I agree with you again. EVERYONE has to pay. And if it's income, it's income. You have to pay tax on it. No end-runs on what counts as income. "Did you have it on December 31 of last year? Do you have it now? Then it's income." Individuals and companies.

That said, I don't think we should pay much either. Big government is a cancer on our country. The other one is entitlement minded people gutting us. I don't think people should get to live for free just because they don't like to work or because they can come up with some plausible reason why they shouldn't have to based on crap that happened in the past. A safety net is one thing, a hammock is something entirely different.

Once again, we are in total agreement.

See. I'm not the enemy. I just want everyone to pay their fair share. EVERYONE.

I agree with you on the income tax thing, everyone should pay. Unfortunately some 30% of Americans don't pay because they fall below the lowest bracket. But they still get all the benefits that the rest of our tax dollars pay for. That's a big drain, and I guess that's the "entitlement-minded" segment you referred to. Too bad Congress is afraid to touch that one. Everyone is afraid to lose the votes of the scabs on society but they love to talk crap about those who pay most of the bills. Those of us in the middle will just have to keep taking care of ourselves and hope for the best.

Umm, they fall below the bracket because they don't make enough to survive! How about employers pay more? Then people would make more, and be able to afford to pay more.
                How much you think you can afford on a $30,000 a year income?

Blood from a stone???
                Or shouldn't rather Russsshhhhhhhh not get such a nice tax break from ole Uncle Sam?

Earn more by being worth more to your employer. Believe me I have lived on less than $30k a year, for many years. But we each have to take responsibility for our own future. It's not up to an employer to support us, it's up to us to work and earn a living. We have to do what's necessary to make the life we want. But I'm sure that makes no sense to you, liberals always think they should get more for doing less. And what the heck does Rush have to do with anything? Is he somehow holding you back in life?

2. Jonathan Janco profile image61
                  Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

30, 000? What fantasy world do you live in? I made 12k last year and I worked my ass off. But when us poor folk tell the Congress to get our brothers and sisters out of those illegal wars, they don't listen. But if the rich want a fifth or sixth concurrent war, they get it. ALWAYS!!!
                  Just like when you go to a restaurant with a bunch of other people. If someone hogs most of the food, that person should pay most of the bill. If the rich want their wars and their bailouts and Congress in their back pocket, they sure as hell out to pay for it, too.

3. uncorrectedvision profile image60

When we fail to invest in our selves or invest foolishly. like getting a totally useless degree like Art History, the free choices we make are our responsibility and the consequences belong exclusively to us.  It is a terrifying notion to come to terms with that truth so we find anyone and anything else to blame because we were stupid and self destructive.  Some pick themselves up and "soldier" on making the most  out of their lives often succeeding.  Still others continue to blame everyone and never stop while being urged onward in their delusions and self loathing by demagogues more than willing to trade a nice little public welfare, handout plantation for political support.

See you in the potato line, comrade.

I said generations not decades.  The Vanderbilt wealth is fading rapidly though it has lasted nearly five generations.  The Kennedy wealth is all but gone leaving politicians and lawyers, liberals all, to maintain it.  The monumental wealth of Oprah Winfrey?  Steve Jobs?  Ted Turner?  not likely that wealth will survive outside of a foundation.

Coporations have it all. They are becoming nations unto themselves, nations that move like fog across geographic boundaries.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
                  Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You got that right.

The only power that can challenge these monster economic entities is a strong federal government.

What corporation has trillions of dollars in resources?  What corporation has ever slaughtered millions?  What corporation can field an actual army?

2. Shadesbreath profile image78

Ironic really, one oxymoron is required to control another.

12. junko profile image71
    junkoposted 12 years ago

The Fall Of America.

13. uncorrectedvision profile image60
    uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years ago

Though I find the thought disturbing, yes America is finished.  The philosophy and faith at its foundation has been eroded, over time, by the thinking we currently call liberal.

We have seen a continuous effort to relativize reality, to reduce our culture, to rip apart those aspects of our society that makes America exceptional.

Since the New Deal the trend toward an all powerful central government and the grinding mediocrity of a welfare state has gained momentum.

Look at the current Debt problem.  Our government is bankrupt.  The revenue it collects can service the debt but not the spending desires of politicians and the parasitic society the welfare state creates.

The national government has no money that it does not print, borrow or take.  All three of these options have a profound impact on the economy.  Most people do not understand what money is, where it comes from or how it works. 

If our government and society continue down the path we are on we are finished as a great country.  The worst part is neither political party seeks to reverse course.  One is walking toward disaster the other running.

The sole political movement that has pushed back against eventual disaster is continually maligned by liberals, wimpy Republicans and the press.  So I have come to the sad conclusion that -

- We are finished and it is just a matter of time

14. urbanphotos profile image61
    urbanphotosposted 12 years ago

No. What I think we're experiencing is the backlash to electing our first non-white president. When Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of the House, over 200 bills were passed which were good for America. The Republican minority in the Senate blocked every one of them. Why? Because they want America to decline, because it makes Obama look bad, and they (Republicans) don't want him to win a second term. A certain percentage of Republicans in Congress cannot believe that a black man is in the white house but they can't come out and publicly say that. So they just do whatever they can to make him look bad. Some people think that's a crazy theory but when you consider how radical the Republican party has become, with these TEA Party nut jobs, it makes sense.

Democrats had a filibuster proof majority for over six months.  In that time the Democrats had an opportunity to pass everything on Barrack Obama's agenda.  They did not, Why?  Are they part of the racist conspiracy?  Comfort yourself with your delusion that Republicans are all motivate by Obama's race.  It is not true and I use as an example an old country boy who would gladly have voted for Conoleesa Rice if she had run.  A Black woman - square that with your bigotry.

And the fact that myself and most of those Republicans I know felt the same disgust for Carter and Clinton, because they had the same liberal ideology. I didn't realize they were black, but I guess I know now.

I'm right there with you on Condi Rice, what a gem she is. Just listening to her speak makes me feel like everything will be ok. She's certainly as eloquent as Obama, but a lot more sensible and honest. And she can answer questions without a teleprompter! Imagine...

Condi Rice is a criminal who belongs behind bars with the rest of Bushco.

"While campaigning for president in 2000, George W. Bush downplayed his lack of foreign policy experience by emphasizing that he would surround himself with a highly talented and experienced group of political veterans. This core group, consisting of Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Colin Powell, Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Armitage, and Condoleezza Rice, has a long history together dating back 30 years in some cases. Dubbing themselves the Vulcans, they have largely determined the direction and focus of the Bush presidency. In this remarkably researched and fascinating book, Mann traces their careers and the development of their ideas in order to understand how and why American foreign policy got to where it is today."

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Vulcans-Hist … 0670032999

http://articles.sfgate.com/2001-05-05/n … als-tanker

Chevron redubs ship named for Bush aide / Condoleezza Rice drew too much attentionMay 05, 2001|By Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer

"Leaving a wave of controversy in its wake, one of the most visible reminders of the Bush administration's ties to big oil - the 129,000-ton Chevron tanker Condoleezza Rice - has quietly been renamed, Chevron officials acknowledged yesterday.

"We made the change to eliminate the unnecessary attention caused by the vessel's original name," said Chevron spokesman Fred Gorell.

But critics said the ship served as a giant floating symbol of the Bush administration's cozy ties to the oil industry.

"It does underscore that there's never been an administration in power in this country that has been so close to a single industry -- in this instance, the oil-and-gas industry," Chuck Lewis of the Washington-based Center for Public Integrity said last month when the watchdog organization first raised the issue.

The tanker's name also raised more serious questions of possible conflict of interest for Rice because Chevron does business on six continents and 25 countries and has been sued for alleged human rights abuses in Nigeria."

Your opinion doesn't change my respect for her or any of the others you name. You should try living in the present.

You mean, where we have a non-citizen president who is a racist and hates America? That present?

No tanks...yuk yuk, I'll stick to the PROVEN HISTORY WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE TO IGNORE.

Stop watching Fox News and reading conspiracy theories. Have respect for the Office of the President of the United States. Whether you agree with him or not. I don't care if you hate the man. He is the President of the United States. Respect the position if nothing else. Like a Private respects a Sergeant and a Lieutenant respects a Colonel. They may not like the person holding the rank of Colonel, but they have respect. If you can't even respect that office then get out of America.

Ah, now I see where you got your idea, (for your forum) good job!

You'll never convince lovemychris to respect Bush. She wants him jailed in Spain along with all of his "cronies"...

ummmm, I think he was talking about the disrespect shown towards Obama....of which YOU are a guilty party!

And Bushco has proven crimes under their belt....they are not above the law.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
                  Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where do you draw your authority from? 

Trying to deny someone their Rights is unAmerican and possibly you should also reconsider your position in the world.

The Constitution is one of the foundations of America. If you don't respect the Office of the President of the United States you might as well toss the Constitution out the door. If you can't respect the Constitution or the government of the place you live then for your own sake and the sake of everyone else, go someplace you don't despise so much

15. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Corporations are beyond being nations unto themselves. They have the rights of 'immortal persons' and have for a while.

16. TheWorldNow profile image61
    TheWorldNowposted 12 years ago

I must agree with Quilligrapher, but have an additional thought.

America has been on top so long that they have forgotten what it means to have competition. America is still number one in all areas that count (economy, military, world influence), but the great propaganda machine is starting back up again. Americans like being on top of the world; when they fear that is being taken from them they will push forward once again. The content and complacent attitude of the past twenty year may persist for a few years, but my generation feels the pressure and will not stand idly by. The very idea of some other country being allowed to overtake America is absurd. My generation will not allow it.
    I highly encourage this hub because it will add to the 'urgency of now' that my generation feels and fuel the fire that will light the way forward.

I respect your opinion and look forward to reading your article. It is in the diversity of opinion that we progress as a society.

Just reading the URL of your Hub. I can see I wouldn't agree with the read.

I detest any ideology and/or philosophical reasoning, for claiming America is finished as a World Leader. That would certainly be untrue, no matter what reasoning applied.

And, as a Citizen, I find it appalling to think that America would ever lose that ability. It is a World Power. Thus, it IS a World Leader.

17. McLaren 83 profile image60
    McLaren 83posted 12 years ago

Well nothing lasts forever. We can honestly believe America will be standing at the top untill the end of time. Even now the likes of China and India are growing faster and faster. Economists reckon it will be 20 years before China takes the number 1 spot. We can only take it like men and deal with it. No matter the outcome we will do our very best and that is all that matters.

I'm sorry but a communist country can never be number one. They may grow until they explode but they will never be open enough to trade fairly and their citizenry will not be intimidated into silence forever. Eventually the people living in the pig s*^t will rise up and speak as one against the oppressive regime that ignores them. Communism fails because it tries to portray to the world that it is succeeding, but the reality always reveals itself in the end.

India is another story; how do you imaging a country with a caste system that oppresses large numbers of people and pretends that they don't exist can remain peaceful? I like the Indians, but they have a really messed up system and it will need reform if they are going to survive in the open and modern world they want to join. Hundreds of millions (almost half of their billion person population) live in mud and slop with no dream of education or even clean water. How long can that last?

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61

Jainism, Sikhism and many other derivatives of Hinduism effectively challenged the caste system, and with Jainism it happened a very, very long time ago. As far as I know, the repression of Hindu reformists is minimal if it even truly exists. A large, populated country, so I imagine it exists on some level. The word 'untouchable' I think is lost in the translation. Basically the equivalent of 'gentile' in Jewish traditions. The word expresses to me that such people are not part of the faith and therefore can't or won't be effected by the values of the faith. While I agree the harsh tone of the Indian govt and its religious implications in its rhetoric is more than a little alarming, I believe that has more to do with fear than belief.

Well that is very naive. Do some research and you will find that almost half of the population of India lives in filth, whether it's for religious reasons or not. Maybe they do not call it the caste system anymore, but it absolutely exists and those born to a poor family have almost no chance of leaving or improving their conditions. There is no education for these people, net to mention clean water or adequate food. Just because it is not publicized does not make it untrue. Serisouly, look it up and you will be appalled.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61

Actually, I was speaking purely of the beliefs in regard to your earlier post. I am familiar with the conditions in India and several of my friends are Hindu. And according to them (and they do love to discuss their beliefs) the caste system (in a religious sense) involves the transmigration of the soul and how your incarnate life effects your ability to eventually be free of a confining physical form (returning to the Brahman, or being one with God). While I agree it is tragic that so many people in India live in congested poverty, the Hindus I know say it has nothing to with Hinduism but rather the politicization thereof. Kind of like when W said he was ordained by God to invade Iraq. A non-Christian might take that as a reflection of Christianity as a whole and use it as an excuse to attack the faith at large.

Well I guess I was confused because I never said anything about religion in my post about India and China. I was only saying that their societal problems will keep them from succeeding on the world stage for long because they would have to become more open and transparent, which would reveal those issues to the world.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

The same can be said about US inner-city ghettos.

No comparison could possibly be made between our ghettos and the ghettos of India or the rural areas of China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13945072

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India

uh oh, there's that pesky caste system again...

Come to Detroit and I'll be happy to give you a guided tour. [No question that poverty is much more widespread and worse in India, however. Also, Mexico and nearly every country in Africa.]

Ralph, I used to hear the gunfire from the housing project I lived next to in New Orleans. I don't need any education regarding projects. Anyone who lives in that wonderful city (puke) has driven through many of them, since they were built throughout the older neighborhoods and can't be avoided by anyone. Many of the main thoroughfares in New Orleans run straight through them. I was a night student in law school and used to get home very late, jump out of my vehicle and run for cover in my apartment as the gunshots were flying. The bar on the corner was a frequent source of these bullets as well. No part of New Orleans is safe, but especially when you live a block away from a project.
                  However, the cars in the parking lots are interesting, mostly new and shiny with lots of chrome.

KK Trainor

Communist countrys can become the number 1. They may not have the same liberties and human rights, but economically and militarily they can and will surpass us. It is their economic and military strength that threaten us. Do you forget just how powerfull the Soviet Union was? They never overtook us, but we were still not powerfull enough to control them or dictate terms to them. We had to help unite Europe against them because they were so damn powefull. China might not be as bad as the Soviets were and we have be thankfull for that.

India is becoming more and more Westernised and the caste system you mention has no effect on how strong they are becoming. India is a good country though, so they dont pose a threat to us. Indeed the Indians would work with us and become strong allies.

The fact that you think the U.S. has any real strong allies? Is funny in a world ruled by power and wealth, and religion.

Nice try, but try again.

1. profile image0
            kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

good morning

smile

Hey Kimberly, it's afternoon here. smile tongue

1. profile image0

I know but I just got up

so its not official but feels like morning in Canada lol  tongue

Well, I don't doubt that. At least you're still with us. smile Always a pleasure to see you. smile big_smile

1. profile image0

tongue ditto

Cagsil

You dont think we have any allies?

What drugs are you taking? Who do you think is fighting beside us in Afghanistan right now???

We have allies and we need to keep them. This could be the key to us keeping up with China one day. No democracy will turn its back on the US and support the likes of a communist dictatorship.

No two countries agree on everything, but they can agree on enough to form an equally beneficial relationship - an alliance/friendship.

Sorry, you need to think I'm on drugs.
              Participating in Wars is the only way to get allies. No War, No allies.

Every Country in the world operates based on it's own interests and global view. Not all global views are going to match.

There is simply too much distortion and misinformation spread about, by politicians and religion leaders. Everything that used to be considered a fact, is now only considered theories. Most people think Truth is subjective, not objective like it is.

Every Country that takes side in a War, has their own reasons for the agreement to be allies. They are always getting something in return? With politicians, it's always about money and not what is interest of the society. If that isn't obvious, then more people should open their eyes.

1. McLaren 83 profile image60

Cagsil, it is nowhere near that simple. Countrie form alliances based on cultural, racial, economic and military factors. As China becomes more powerfull than we are, our alliances already based on many of these things will get stronger.

In what way was Britain serving its own interests by going to war over an attack that happened in America - a foreign nation?

In what way are the coalition serving their own interests by fighting in Afghanistan?

In what way is NATO - an alliance created by America serving its own interests by bombing Libya?

America and Europe - the cradle of Western culture will always be in alliance to protect our freedoms. Of course countries do not agree with each other on everything, but they do agree on enough and see a shared value and goal.

18. ElderYoungMan profile image67
    ElderYoungManposted 12 years ago

America fell long ago when we stopped walking in our anointing as leaders of innovation.  We were put here for no other reason than to collectively create and innovate the way people around the world live.  As soon as we traded that mantle for profits and greed, we became a 3rd world country.  The last disease we cured was polio and after that our medical industry went into the business of "Treatment" because by creating a cure to a disease, we destroy its associated industry.  God calls us to remain committed to our purpose, not the wealth that might come from walking out that purpose.  We have an automobile industry that will not innovate because they are paid by the oil industry not to.  So now we have a situation where the whole world has caught up with us because we stopped doing what we were blessed to do, so a few people didn't have to change how their wealth was created.  The battery powered car should have been perfected by now and on our roads, but leadership in this country is for sale like anything else.  God has humbled every empire that has existed on this planet.  Ours is no different.

roll

Well said... smile

19. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-1 … -says.html
    Moody's is the same agency that the Too Big Too Fails paid to rate all of those Mortgage Backed  Securities AAA.So I pose these questions,Why are they still around and who cares what they think.They have no credibility anymore.They were instrumental in destroying the economy and fleecing investors.Is your memory that bad?

1. Quilligrapher profile image73

I haven’t seen any evidence that Moody’s was paid as you say but they and S&P did buckle under pressure from various Bankers. “The world’s two largest bond-ranking companies, both based in New York, made exceptions to rules when bankers asked for better safety ratings on complex mortgage-backed securities, the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations said.”   “When Moody’s and S&P changed their assessments of hundreds of those bonds in July 2007, it helped trigger the financial crisis, the panel said.”  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-1 … -says.html

My understanding is the Moody's and the other bond rating firms were paid by the banks that were issuing the subprime mortgage securities--Goldman, Bank of America, et al. There was definitely a financial conflict of interest between the bond raters and the buyers of the securities.

20. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

They can't stand to look anymore.
    http://www.rense.com/1.imagesH/rushmorebutss.jpg

21. profile image0
    wongomowaleposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't say America is finished, but things don't look good for America's future as a world power.

22. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 12 years ago

@Ralph Deeds
    Thanks for your input, Ralph.

23. Jonathan Janco profile image61

Money is just a mirage anyway, Cags. A dark spirit entrancing us to believe we are powerless without it. And the corporate world is as much of a joke as any form of totalitarianism. They oiginated from the same 'intellectual' clubs as those who formed Stalinism and Naziism, and have only as much credibility as those other schools of totalitarianism. Trying to educate the ignorant is like trying to train a fish to breathe air.

Well, I guess you don't understand money. Good to know.
      Really? roll
      Well, this statement isn't a surprise, but based on a complete misunderstanding of the corporate world.
      roll
      roll

24. Jonathan Janco profile image61

OK Cags, have it your way. I certainly have it my way.
    lol  lol  lol

A response that was expected. Not surprising. lol

25. chaz cecil profile image60
    chaz cecilposted 12 years ago

First off, GREAT QUESTION>  As for the answer its not so easy to sum up.  I will start by saying that we (USA) worrying abou being the super power, dominate country, world leaders....however you wish to say it, is a big part of our problem.  We need to get our SH#@ together before we worry about perception.  Get our children on the right paths, set our governmental goals on a steady attainable path, and open our hearts and minds up as a "UNIFIED" nation.  Doing these things will place us where we need to be rfegardless of perception.  The worlds perception of the USA right now is a joke.  Our twisted up government is taking care of that image.  We need Business minded, religious oriented morally based people in our public offices.  Then we will get something accomplished.

I will be including this in my own blog at a later time.

Thanks for commenting, Chazz. I look forward to reading it. Let me know when it is posted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)