Why Do Christians Feel They Deserve To Speak Unchallenged

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

It appears that there are Christians who consider opposing views an affront to God. I'm curious why?

You present your opinion of  who, or what, God is. Why do you think others do not have the right to do the same? Whether the opinion be positive, or negative, it is opinion; and yet you claim intimate knowledge without proof. What makes you demand the right to claim truth without being challenged?

You've called those who disagree children of Satan. You've accused opposing  views of being little more than excrement. You've informed opposing views they are bound for hell. You've belittled the experiences and knowledge of any who disagree. All without proof.

You demand respect  and courtesy; when you deny it at every turn?

Why is this?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They believe they speak for their God and have learned His ways.

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They also believe that their God is YOUR God too, and that you just don't have the sense to understand it.

2. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would reply to your post, but you are a spawn of Satan, and I prohibited from conversing with you.

smile

3. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most cannot help themselves.  They have been brainwashed from an early age to judge those not similarly indoctrinated to be unenlightened.  I can personally attest to the difficulty of resisting such pressure from both parents and peers as a child.

Denying one's own common sense is required to be a "believer."

4. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What gives you the right to say that!

Juz' Kidding! lol

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

Good questions.

Most of these people are living in a purely "christian" world, a pond seperated from the oceans. Segregated from those opposing views. They come here expecting the entire world to hold the same beliefs they have grown familiar with in thier little ponds and are shocked when that isn't the case.

The first time thier beliefs are challenged they respond with the knee jerk anger that is human nature. Followed quickly by the assumption that these objectors obviously haven't heard the "good word" (for how could they doubt it if they had).

It goes on from there.

I would however have to point out that the believers in the church of happenstance(atheists) are little better.

3. poeticmentor profile image75
    poeticmentorposted 12 years ago

why ask why..they are Christians right? I think it's the nature of those who deeply feel their salvation is in Jesus Christ.  I say as long as you believe in something greater your good. Those that bicker back and forth are the exception. They can't be true. But why only target Christians, I'm just saying, these people cannot be the only ones adamant about what they believe is truth. Why do atheist try so hard to disprove them. It works both ways.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are right. It does work both ways. But, the only thing the atheist can threaten me with is an obnoxious retort. Plus, I don't think atheism is supposed to be about the love and peace of spirituality.  If it is, they've got some work to do.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No,
        atheists "threaten" Christians as well as impressionable people with the idea of the nothingness that supposedly exists after death.  The idea that life is meaningless ultimately.  The idea that we're all just little Godless creatures with no creator, just little amoebas resulting from some unintelligent piece of metal or rock that exploded via some indeterminate method.
        You don't get something from nothing.  Even scientists should understand that.  But apparently they do not!

1. profile image0

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, a long as you are willing to extend them the same courtesy. I would think.

4. profile image0
    Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years ago

Is the phrase, "you are delusional" an opposing view?  What about the terms "sky fairy, sky daddy, homocidal maniac, ignorant, stupid, etc. . .

An opposing view says I do not agree with you but believe it is . . .  Opposing views do not consist of insulting remarks meant only to cause dissension. 

Of course now many can tell me that I am condescending in my comment here.

1. profile image0

Step outside of your box. Read the comments made by many christians. You can't insult repeatedly without expecting insults in return from those you upset. And it bleeds out into the rest of the dialogue.  First, attempt to get a handle on the side you support before crying foul. This is across the board disrespect, from where I stand.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

Well now this is an easy one. Being challenged means your persecuted, just like Jesus was! It's really a brilliant bit of ill-logic! By getting to be the poor persecuted victim they ensure their spot next to JC up in heaven. If no one listened to them to disagree they would likely go mad, their spot next to the big guy rapidly vanishing. If we stopped bothering they would simply have to fight amongst themselves over some interpretation, just so they can be persecuted. We really should take our hats off to 'em. Willing to persecute others just so they too can be persecuted and thus be 'closer to God'.

1. profile image0

Yes. That 'Poor pitiful me. I'm being persecuted like Christ' argument is almost gag worthy. I roll my eyes every time I come across it.

6. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

With all due respect...  Christians disagree with each other.

people in general disagree with each other
    I think that most people  "feel"  disrespected when their beliefs are not agreed with.

I think that it is the people themselves which act the way that we do regardless of our faith or lack thereof.

1. profile image0

As always, you hit the nail on the head.

7. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Beautiful question, Emile.

It isn't just Christians who seem to come in this flavor of entitlement. Anyone with an ego can fall into this trap.

Few, if any, have found the real Christianity. It takes humility to approach it; not a sense of "know it all."

8. dungeonraider profile image86
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

If I see any Christians building a fire pit and raising a thick stake from it, I'll let you all know.  I think we're okay firing words at each other here instead wink

9. mythbuster profile image71
    mythbusterposted 12 years ago

I think that if people would present their ideas as proper statements, much of the conflict in discussions on belief systems might be alleviated and we might learn more about each other as humane individuals.

Presenting an idea with "[such and such]... is the way it is [universally]" doesn't work very well on people who feel they hold an equally valuable, valid but different belief in "the way it is."

By contrast, "in my opinion.....such-and-such is so because [reason]" opens discussion instead of blocking off thought or sending the listener instantly into oppositional thinking.

It would also help with communications if certain Christian individuals learn the historical, cultural, poetic, figurative and allegorical aspects of Scriptures - rather than just literal interpretations and/or "most commonly voiced" ideas surrounding interpretations of Scripture - BEFORE they enter into arguments.

Often, we have to start with a premise (educated guess) on what religious/Scripture authors hold as "universal truth" and then go on from there. Some of the authors of Scriptures wrote "in the style of" other historical teachers and, to honour the sage, gave the teacher's name to the "book" being written...as in the case with literature attributed to MOSES.

For Scriptures attributed to Moses, it's important to understand the premises/starting points of how people believing in Moses' words understood the world but people also have to consider that believers in Moses' teachings made choices to follow Moses and certain beliefs versus dozens (or more) other valid leaders/teachings.

Christianity was NOT a "first religion," it was ANOTHER system of beliefs which developed long ago, just like many other belief systems and religions - influenced by events, politics, charismatic personalities and many other variables.

I just wish that people who claim to be Christians and then speak outwardly about Christianity would LEARN MORE about all the aspects of Christianity before spouting off.

Historical documents over long ages attest to the fact that Christians, themselves, are from over a hundred different, varying belief sets and they DO NOT AGREE WITH EACH OTHER..... It is interesting that almost every Christian sect still claims to be speaking the ONLY truth.

Again, if words were phrased better/more fairly when opening discussion, perhaps a good discussion (two-way, not one-way) could happen concerning Christian beliefs.

Just sayin'...

1. profile image0

And said well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

10. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I could probably talk forever on this, but I wont...

I will say that on the forums, at least, I am far more likely to be insulted by Christians for my religious beliefs than by non-believers.  I've had my run ins with most of the hard-core atheists that by knee-jerk reaction assume that all Christians are the same... that doesn't come close to the recoil of the Fundies on the forum that...strangely... believe that all Christians are the same.

The difference is that the non-believers tend to accept my differences and discuss them while the fundies tend to say I'm not a true Christian.  Although I have gotten it from both sides with the non-christian thing, it is most frequent with the fundies.

1. profile image0

I think you are right. I simply wish that more of the other reasonable Christians understood this.

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/atheism.jpg

1. profile image0

lol lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)