Fiction Writers - Please Introduce Yourselves

Jump to Last Post 151-182 of 182 discussions (278 posts)
  1. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

I've been on Hub pages for about 5 years but have finally just published my first ebook titled: 'From Goats Gruff to Glory' on the Kindle platform (still in review).  Its a sequel to the traditional troll and goats story and was inspired by telling the original story to my kids. They demanded to know more and more about the troll and the bed time stories gradually developed into a humorous novel aimed at 'children of all ages'.  While I've had plenty of short stories and articles published, book publishing has always eluded me (until Amazon came along) smile

2. xstatic profile image61
    xstaticposted 11 years ago

I have posted a little short fiction, some poetry and a sort of memoir story so far, along with an article or two. I have what will be a three part noir story if I ge the third part written.

3. aida-garcia profile image75
    aida-garciaposted 11 years ago

Hello My name is Aida Garcia,
    I have not been with hubpages very long but I am inspired by all of the writings that I have found in these pages.  I am a recent graduate of University of Phoenix, and I am a online advocate for change.   I would like to invite everyone to my hubpages: http://aida-garcia.hubpages.com/hub/ or just search for my name and all of the hubs I have ever written will appear at present, the subject involves Oxygen therapy as alternate medicine.  Enjoy and please do not hesitate to follow, share, and comment!  I will also read your hubs.

1. JayeWisdom profile image87
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I notice this thread has become a "meeting place" for HP fiction writers, even though the forum was started by Website Examiner, who is no longer a member of the site. Fiction writers keep introducing themselves via the forum, and it's almost like a fiction writers' group.  Interesting....There seem to be a lot of us on HP who enjoy writing fiction.

1. xstatic profile image61
        xstaticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is odd Jaye. I did not notice how long ago this thread started until you mentioned it.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Funny thing is , I'm 58 , started any kind of writing arount 50 years old , yet poetry , short stories of drama , fiction , truths and  humor are what I like !   I  am honored to be included with so many of the above me here , true artists ! All !

5. GavinWichmann profile image61
    GavinWichmannposted 11 years ago

Gavin Wichmann.
    And I write a bunch of fiction, but I'm trying to hit as many different kinds as I can.
    Lately its been rewriting kid's stories and midlife crisisy type events.

6. Pombooie profile image61
    Pombooieposted 11 years ago

Hi
    I'm currently writing "A Bit Broke"  a book for children that explores hidden grief and bullying.  I've posted some episodes on my hub and would love some constructive criticism.

Thanks in advance.

7. LJones96 profile image61
    LJones96posted 11 years ago

Hello, I'm Lakisha. I have been having a desire to write my first fictional book since I graduated High school. I feel that sometimes I'm not motivated enough. I don't have many friends who actually like to read but they have been supportive enough to read some of the things I have written. I have a book full of poetry, that isn't publish and I like to get them publish some day. I also, wrote a short story called, "Something About the Sea" in public speaking class in the 10th grade and I actually want to someday finish it and turn it into a novel. I hope to write fictional stories here and Hub and receive feedback rather good or bad, I like to know if I need improvement or a little more detail. I think I am a good writer but I want to be known as a outstanding writer.

8. Benson Brock profile image61
    Benson Brockposted 11 years ago

Try this hub for some motivation to start your novel.     http://bensonbrock.hubpages.com/hub/thenovelyou

9. profile image0
    CroftRoanposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone!
    I'm Katie Roberts. I love to write fantasy and paranormal fiction. I'm currently working on two stories: Grace Under Fire and Paragon. I have another two in progress that I hope to publish. I'd love to get some feedback on them and I'll give my own for anyone who asks.

1. GavinWichmann profile image61
      GavinWichmannposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ill take you up on that offer, feedback for feedback!
      My stuff is mostly short stories right now, but still, why not?

2. profile image0
      onetouchnewlifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here.

10. carozy profile image78
    carozyposted 11 years ago

I just finished my first novel after completing Nanowrimo this past November.  It's about a girl who drinks a potion and then wakes up a world away and only two inches tall.  I've self-published it privately and I'm debating about putting it up on Hubpages, or at least a few chapters.

1. profile image0
      CroftRoanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

NaNoWriMo is so much fun but I haven't been able to compete the last couple of years because of a hectic schedule. I'd love to read your novel and I'd recommend putting the first few chapters up so others can decide if they want to read more.

11. Amenotep profile image61
    Amenotepposted 11 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is Richard A. Longo. I have been writing for over a decade and have had some works published in a local newspaper. I write mainly short stories but have also been working on a novel. It is a mystical story of magic, enchantment and peril. I have not published any of it yet on my Hub, but if anyone is interested the prelude to this work is on my page, It is called, In the Town that Grass Built. It is unfinished, but everyday I draw closer to the conclusion. Any criticism is welcome, as well as feedback. Thank you.

12. Willsummerdreamer profile image63
    Willsummerdreamerposted 11 years ago

*shyly raises hand* I like to write fantasy, sci-fi and whatever else is going through my head that particular day. I'm currently writing a novel, or trying too, and I self-published a small book of short stories called 'Walking With Summer Dreams' (which if you feel so inclined you can get in both paperback and an e-book on lulu.com, Amazon & the Kindle, Barns & Noble.com and the Nook and on the Ibook store). So yeah, I think I count as a fiction writer lol.

13. aida-garcia profile image75
    aida-garciaposted 11 years ago

Hello,
    I have yet to publish any articles on sci-fi or anything other than what I know about Oxygen therapy and the research I have done these past three years.  So tell me, have you thought or have you actually carried over your hubs into a published book or e-book?

14. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

I allus wanted 2 b a righter.  Now I r 1.  smile

15. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

I am an IT professional with lot of diverse interests. I like sharing my knowledge and learning with friends and like-minded people on the web.

16. GuitarGear profile image59
    GuitarGearposted 11 years ago

Hello,
    My name is Walt Holokai aka guitargear here on hubpages.  I primarily write reviews on guitars and related gear with a few political/social commentary articles thrown in.  I am also a playwright although my plays are not the kind of thing that would be found acceptable here on hubpages.  I also feel privileged to be a relatively new member of the Wednesday Night Writers Group here in my home town of Youngstown, Ohio. WNWG is a very small eclectic group of published writers that meet once a week to discuss their projects.  Although there have been readings of my plays I have yet to produce a work of fiction which is the primary focus of the group.  Today or just a couple of minutes ago I posted a short story that I wrote several weeks ago titled THE ANGELS OF MARK COLLINS which I am posting in 2-parts because of the length; 4100 words.  It's the story of a minister that is terrorized by angels when he visits the hospital bedside of one of his less than devout parishioners.  It has religious/spiritual overtones with a sci-fi twist.  I'd like to thank the members of this forum for their encouragement especially Awordlover and Writinglover.  I was a little apprehensive about posting it because of it's religious overtones but in the end decided to let it fly and see what happens.

1. awordlover profile image90
      awordloverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I left you some fan mail. When you get done your story. I'd love to read it. Good Luck and keep on writing. Don't give up!

17. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 11 years ago

I'm a fictional writer...I don't exist...just made myself up one day...Now I wont leave me alone.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I'm a schizophrenic
    And so am I

Been meaning to have a talk with myself about this but...he wont listen.

18. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

I've recently published my first novel on the Amazon Kindle platform.  Its called 'From Goats Gruff to Glory'. Its a lighthearted read aimed at children and adults alike.

‘From Goats Gruff to Glory’ is being hailed as the next big thing in children’s literature. A sequel to the traditional Troll and Goats tale that conjures up a saga making ‘Harry Potter’ pedestrian and has been described as a turbo-charged version of ‘Lord of the Rings’ and the worthy successor to ‘Beowulf’.

I won't be spammy and post a link but you can find it on any Amazon site worldwide.
    For 'Indie' publishers, publishing the book is the easy bit.  The problem is getting significant downloads.  I'm currently offering mine at 99c.  When it was recently FREE for 24 hours, there were large number of downloads.  Clearly if you can only shift eBooks for free it isn't a very good business model!

Anyone else published on Kindle have thoughts about marketing?

19. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

I recently wrote my first novel and hope to publish it some day soon. I have been editing it many times and even asked some people to read it. They gave me positive feedback saying they enjoyed the story and found it interesting and told me I shouldn't change anything. While that's nice to hear I am not sure if I should go ahead and publish it or if I should make more changes to the story before I go through with it. I just don't know what to do.

20. profile image0
    cbarbarposted 11 years ago

I've been active on HubPages for 5 weeks now. I write fiction, that can be considered young adult, intrigue, adventure, or women's. I haven't published them yet, but would like to. I've also self published 2 lyrical poetry books on Amazon, and blog regularly on my website. I might considered posting synopses of my stories on HubPages, if that is a good idea.

21. kenzaveryella profile image60
    kenzaveryellaposted 11 years ago

I am a writer.  I love to write anything; however, my passion is Children and Young Adult.  I wrote a Children's storybook that I have yet to publish to HubPages.  I hope to get it up on HubPages pages in the near future.  I have also been working on a Young Adult novel.  I published the first chapter of, Eternal Grace, to HubPages about two weeks ago.  I welcome and would love any feedback.  Happy Writing, Everyone!

22. Astra Nomik profile image64
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

What a great and talented group of writers there are on Hub Pages. We should start a big writers circle on Hub Pages for everyone who wants to be inspired by great writing and literary works.

23. Keith Ham profile image61
    Keith Hamposted 11 years ago

I'm a fiction writer, I'd honestly love honest feedback from anyone as I've tried to write novels but they sort of float due to the lack in input from nearly anyone.

24. Shanders profile image73
    Shandersposted 11 years ago

I write primarily fiction and am fairly new to HubPages. I have published a few fiction Hubs so far and I've read alot from some very talented people in the few weeks I've been here. Any feedback would be much appreciated and valued, I have several projects right now which will be coming out within the next week or so.

25. AdmiralJim profile image60
    AdmiralJimposted 11 years ago

I'm a creative writing student at the moment, and I'm currently enjoying experimenting with different forms and genres to try and find my forte.
    Previously I've written short fiction about the people on the fringes of society and now I'm moving further afield to writing for the stage and sci-fi.
    Also, I'm very fond of both giving and receiving feedback, just in case anyone needs any desperately. wink

1. Shanders profile image73
      Shandersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've read some of your hubs, very interesting! Can't wait to see more

26. GuitarGear profile image59
    GuitarGearposted 11 years ago

In case anybody was wondering which I would assume nobody was...Ha, ha... I just published the conclusion Part-2 of my short story: The Angels of Mark Collins.  Happy Easter!

1. awordlover profile image90
      awordloverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

See my note on Part 2 :-)

27. jg555 profile image60
    jg555posted 11 years ago

I have been on Hubpages for about two years now but I have not published very much yet. I write fiction stories, usually short stories. I am in college and hoping to continue writing so I like getting feedback on here on what I write.

28. profile image0
    onetouchnewlifeposted 11 years ago

Does anybody here want to read a longer work of mine?

29. profile image0
    Matt Parisposted 10 years ago

I'm fresh out of college and just started hubbing.  I graduated with an English Lit and Education major and a Creative Writing minor.  Mostly I write for fun, and I've posted some stories and poems that I've been working on.  I would really love any feedback anyone has to offer, and I hope you enjoy my work.

30. kristyleehenry profile image61
    kristyleehenryposted 10 years ago

I'm still working on my BA in Communication Studies (having two children has held up the process a bit, but I'm getting there slowly). I've always enjoyed writing and, over the years, several of my essays on various topics have received recognition, one in particular about e.e. cummings and the messages behind his distinct and unique poetry. I've written several short stories since I was a child (most of which ended up getting tossed in the trash bin afterward at my own self-scrutiny), but I'm now in the process of finishing my first full-length novel. I'm currently at 60,000 words with a world of ideas to add before I begin the editing process and attempt to find a publisher (fingers crossed, I realize this is a VERY high hope to hold onto!) I plan to stop around 100,000 words, give or take. I also have several other novels in the works that I plan to finish, in due time. I would love to have feedback on my writing but, admittedly, am nervous about writing "snakes," as I call them. I've put countless hours into the words that make up my story and the realism of my characters (who I just love, oh, so much) and the possibility of receiving deterring feedback at this stage or, worse, someone stealing my words as their own is just a bit unnerving. Does anyone have advice for trustworthy feedback websites that I can post my work on?

1. Mary McShane profile image80
      Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Kristyleehenry wrote this "I would love to have feedback on my writing but, admittedly, am nervous about writing "snakes," as I call them. I've put countless hours into the words that make up my story and the realism of my characters (who I just love, oh, so much) and the possibility of receiving deterring feedback at this stage or, worse, someone stealing my words as their own is just a bit unnerving. Does anyone have advice for trustworthy feedback websites that I can post my work on?"

First, I would advise you to never ever post your work (in chapters or in entirety) on any website for feedback. Trustworthy or not, you don't know if it will be printed out (either for their own reading or to be shared with others) or even stolen outright.  You are leaving your story unattended and have no control over where it goes.  Plagarism is rampant these days because people can get away with it. Sanctions take a long time to pursue and by then your work is nearly unrecoverable to submit to publishers or e-publish under your own name.

You say you don't want "deterring" feedback.  I'm not familiar with the word being used that way, so I'll take a gamble and assume you mean "bad or negative" feedback.  For any feedback you get to be of any value, you will have to toughen up a little to be able to accept the good with the bad because it is inevitable that people will always have something to say about your word usage, character voice, descriptions, character flaws, etc. and they are not afraid to let you know it. That is the reason you are sharing your work with them - to get their views on your work. 

If you do not have a tough skin and your concern is worrying about "deterring" feedback, then you are not yet ready for anyone to read your work because you don't want bad news.

If you are looking for feedback that is only praise or only positive feedback, then you are going to be very disappointed every step of the way -- from  the editing process to the rejection process - especially when your work doesn't get attention upon submission to an publisher without agent representation. Publishers rarely take cold submissions (work that has come to them directly from author and bypassing an agent). Unless you are the next James Patterson or Nora Roberts, your book submission will barely get the glance of a publisher's editor without an agent to represent you.

You mention shopping for a publisher after the editing is done.  You need to buy a copy of Writer's Market - a bit steep at $35 or $40 but well worth it.  It is published yearly, so you will need to purchase a new one each year.

Writer's Digest is a magazine and is also a valuable resource. Cost about $30 for 8 issues. Their advertising can steer you to all kinds of services --an agent, editor and what publisher guidelines. Their writing tips are priceless.

Once you get done all your own editing, and any editing from the feedback you get, the book will go through still more editing after you find an agent.  Agents often have editors they work with who will give you suggestions to edit your work yet again to get it ready for submission to a publisher.   A word to the wise.  They are expensive. Agents don't provide editorial services for free. Read Writer's Magazine and Writer's Market for tips.

For you, once you get past worrying about getting bad news about your book, then you might actually be ready to get input on your work.   

The best advice I can give you is to join a small (4 to 6 people) critique group of writers of like mind (groups just for novel writers, groups for poetry writers, etc - specialized groups) who meet face to face once or twice a week (example) to get feedback that way. 

You live in Pennsylvania, near the poconos. I typed into Google "critique groups near Stroudsburg, PA and the 'meetup" site gave six groups not far from you (2 in PA and 4 in NJ all under 50 miles) Here's the link. http://writers-critique-group.meetup.co … roudsburg/

Critique groups  are not for the timid. You have to be able to take whatever they dish out. You will hear positive and negative about your characters, settings, descriptions, even your character's voice. 

Being part of a critique group will make you a stronger writer and give you a tougher skin regarding criticism.  They share advice, commiserate with rejections, and have valuable resources to steer members when they are ready.

Critique groups are not out to steal your work, just as they don't want you to steal their work.  I think face to face critique groups are better than online groups because the criticisms are more openly accepted - you don't have that impersonal internet wall going on.  You also get to hear how other writers work, where they get their ideas, and even writing exercises to hone your craft.

Good luck in your endeavors.
      Mary

Since this forum has many outdated posts, and since many former commenters and website examiner is no longer on HP, I started a new thread here - please join us http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118695#post2507795

31. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

I'd like to write fiction, but my prose sucks and my ideas are even worse.

32. RichardMawby profile image71
    RichardMawbyposted 10 years ago

Hi all,

I have always been a daydreamer, so it was no surprise that I ended up delving into fictional stories a few years ago. Since then I have developed 8 plots, with 3 books in the making, however it is a slow process as I cannot simply 'sink' into them as most people can. My mind works on such a deep level that only when I can truly submerge and live the world can I write at my best. It happens spontaneously so I write when the inspiration hits me and usually end up writing large chunks in a short space of time.

Inbetween I am quite philosophical and I also write poetry which I have done since the age of 10.

I am not out there to reach fame, but rather have people read, appreciate and relate to any of my works. As long as they enjoy it and take something away with them after the read then I am happy. But I will not deny it and say that being able to live off your passion would be something worth acheiving in this society. One day maybe...

Richard.

Since website examiner is no longer on HP, and many of the earlier posters to this forum are also gone, I started a new thread here - please join us http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118695#post2507795

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)