The name you have chosen to call yourself on Hub Pages !

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (89 posts)
  1. Sky9106 profile image65
    Sky9106posted 12 years ago

I am aware that many have uses their own correct name, which can turn out to greatly benefit. I am also quite aware , that many are using more than one name   there are many fictitious characters there are on HP, I know this.Tricks were tried with me .
    But that's not my MO for this question, I believe those folks might have a great answer for me also.
    from whatever length of time you joined it's yours.
    Looking back a little!
    Do you have any regrets, like you found a sweet name, that you really love, and are now wishing you can easily change your original name?

Bless.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ha ha I would love to use Hattiemattiemae in real. It was originally my great grandmothers, but I have grown attached to it for the last two years, and a very big part of me today, and even thought about changing it in real to Hattie Mae. I think it just fits me better, for who I am. lol I know that sounds funny.

Sky9106posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it really don't , lol I believe they should always be great explainable , if the need arises for the names we choose to call ourselves, all through life, It's funny you should say it may be funny.
        But imagine having to write down your different aliases, because you use so many over time.lol.
        But your name and picture suits , remember I asked for permission to shorten your name. lol.
        Thanks Hattie.

2. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use Shinkicker as it's named after a song by Blues guitarist Rory Gallagher. I still like it especially as I often write satire and parody Hubs so the name is apt :-)

3. rlaha profile image59
      rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had many names I thought I could use.  However, I thought that honesty was the best policy.  Good question Sky!

Great answer I would say and thank you rliha. It's a pleasure to see you with my favorite little lady.
        Thanks for that answer and I am 100% on board with the honesty part. Been around and I know for sure it is and especially to thyne own self.
        Bless.

1. rlaha profile image59

You're welcome. I always feel that honesty can either get you killed or will take you far. I'm hoping it's the latter.  smile

4. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have two accounts. One is floral and the main one stemmed from most of my name. smile

AEvans bless , I saw that somewhere , I think it's where I read about tour niece ,or someone ,was a little girl I responded and got no reply that time , thought I had is all wrong.

Good to confirm, waiting for the Debarge.

2. Karanda profile image80
        Karandaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Both of them beautiful!

2. Shanna11 profile image77
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

I use Shanna, which is my real name, for simplicity's sake. I used to hate my name when I was younger, but the older I got, the more I appreciated that it wasn't an overly common name. I've never met another Shanna. It's a somewhat unique identifier. If I had a common name, I might use a pen name.

But my mother named me after a romance novel of the same name, which makes for a funny story, so I've decided I like my name.

That's cute , came close to to that Twain lady.

It usually always go back to mothers , but my dad took a stand and gave me 6 names. Sky is not one of them. That's a story.

3. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

no sky, i am aware. lol

lmao! Glad to know you're aware, Aware!

2. HattieMattieMae profile image60

lmao! Glad to know you're aware, Aware!

3. Sky9106 profile image65

What a name , maybe you thought about this eons before me .lol
      Bless,

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Spunky The Wonder Writer" was my first choice. big_smile

1. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

I ma still laughing.lolololol.

2. Sky9106 profile image65

So what happened too Spunky?
      lol!

3. rlaha profile image59

Haha I like that one smile)

5. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I wish I had used my original name but when I signed up I thought it was necessary for the "username" because the option was there. I don't regret it much because my HP name is a combo of my given names.

My second account, Emerald Strachan, I used my birth stone and my mom's maiden name. I have been using that name as my pen name for a few years so it was fitting.

That's beautiful Cardisa , see I am not one for writing down numbers and names etc , so I have sough of developed a thing for names and numbers that are important,.

I remember a joke and I am laughing as I repeat , a friend of mine forgot a name he used in my presence and called me to ask , remember that time we were all sitting on your porch, and I used that nick name I told you I was called when I was younger, what was it again? LOL.

Emerald is a great stone.
      Bless.

6. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

the things i am aware of most.are my shortcomings.  that is why i chose it.
    Raymond

Tell me about those in a sincere hub. We will lengthen them. LOL

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I wish I had just used DIY instead of the whole long drawn out name, because that's what everyone calls me on here now.

Or maybe Hot Stuff, that would've been good, too! smile

ha ha, Well i wish you luck DIY maybe you are hot stuff! lol

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
        DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, last I checked, no, but I guess it could happen.  smile

I really like your name, HattieMattieMae!

I was about to say that I saw those initials on here , and there you are,in such close proximity.
      Hot stuff is also easy to remember.
      Bless.

8. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

I'm pretty happy with ThoughtSandwiches.  I sometimes get hungry when I am thinking...

ha ha ha , so you remind yourself to eat! Writing is a great wonder, think about this m, it's my own invention, writing it just actually saying it in print.

Bless.

yay for instance, right now I'm eating blueberry pancakes! lol

9. cheaptrick profile image76
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

When I was a teen I worked on a commercial fishing boat and Loved it.I was an apprentice to the guy who baited all the hooks which made me an apprentice baiter...I was going to use Aprenticebaiter instead of cheaptrick...but then I thought holy Crap,what will I use when I become a MASTER...umm,at my craft...

Ya...cheaptrick was the right one...ya

This is a great story cheaptrick, And the same question applies, What happens? lol.

Bless.

1. cheaptrick profile image76
        cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simple,then I become a[Master at putting bait on fish hooks]...but that's to much typing for my arthritis.

ya,cheaptrick was the right one...ya

10. momster profile image59
    momsterposted 12 years ago

i picked Momster cuz sometimes mom's can be monsters and i let my children know what kind of a monster i can be if they dont do what they are suppose to. smile

YOu sound to tough for me Momster! lol

Hey momster I wondered from the start but I had a had good idea , so your reasonable fitting reason is out. I lol knew there will be some very interesting reasons , and mine is still on hold for being too long.

But the sky is the limit.
      Bless.

11. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

thejeffriestube, because it's obvious I'm a Star Trek nerd! I've actually owned that as a domain for over 10 years, and it just stuck. It's just something I feel comfortable with. Others are more comfortable just calling me Dave. :-)

There you go I was a Trekkie too , it's done so I am done , love Spok.  however if I may , will you use the very same name on other sites?

Bless..

1. thejeffriestube profile image60
        thejeffriestubeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use it for most of my blogging, writing, SEO stuff. It's very apparent who it is when you google it just like this.

12. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

I love reading all the usernames on HP. I like Cheaptrick and Thoughtsandwhiches so much! There are a bunch of others I love but of course I can't think of them at the moment. I wish I had chosen something more funny and creative.

Your name is fine , and your answer goes the distance by saying that you wish you had chosen something More funny.
      Than's for going deeper  but now I shall ask like what?

Bless..

13. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 12 years ago

Wow that was a relatively tough thread to read through, bad jokes, even worse grammar and some really weird appellation explanations.

I really need to get out of here, hence the pseudonym.

Besides all my other AKA’s have been used for other exploits.

Through it all you found your way. You are hired always needs volunteers. Especially when they are great fishermen.

Lol

14. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

just add 9106 to the word sky.  now that's  lipstick.i write poetry.   i think  better than yours.

why such a low score here , your words are same lool;

How I have never seen you that's my home.

15. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Usernames here at HP, as elsewhere on the web, are only as popular as the users who have them.

Unless your username is targeting a keyword, it is meaningless. Much like mine smile

The best thing we can do for ourselves when choosing a username is to make sure our name isn't comprised of words that are derogatory in other countries.

We speak to the world here, as in many places online.

16. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

The reason I use my real name on HP and elsewhere on the Web is an accident of sorts. When I first started writing online, Hub Pages was one of the first sites I joined. At that time, I had my own fledgling business, much of which depended on the Internet and as prominent an Internet profile as possible, hence the reason I used my real name for what was a totally subsidiary affair.

There is one funny story I can tell you about a friend, however, who started writing online not long after me - on only one site (not Hub Pages) - for similar reasons. She had been writing on it for a few months before someone pointed out to her that she had spelled her own name wrong... True story! smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who would have known the true spelling of her name?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was for SEO purposes, Hollie. She was trying to supplement her other online activities. I honestly hadn't noticed or I would have told her.

The internet is a strange place, Gordon. smile

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
            Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Scarcely has a truer word been spoken, Hollie smile

17. Rain Defence profile image80
    Rain Defenceposted 12 years ago

I used the name of my business. Unfortunately the US and UK spelling of the word defence is different, so as hubpages users are mostly American, I probably just look like I can't spell to most...

That doesn't matter, it's what you say that's important. smile

Quite tempting Rain, I grew up under the British way also. shuuu-ush. All gods children.

Bless.

18. poetvix profile image55
    poetvixposted 12 years ago

I picked this name for a few reasons.  First, I wanted to be a poet.  Now, I want to write more than just poetry so in some ways I regret that part of the name, in others not.  As for the vix part, Years ago I went under the screen name of vixen_ _ _ _ on other sites.  I had not heard of Hubpages then.  In many ways I can be very mischievous and have always had such a streak so it was nice to revive part of that name I loved for years.  Shortly after I started using that name I shortened it to Vix in sign offs and it has stuck with me since the nineties in some form or the other.  Lastly, it is indicative of where I was born in a way that only I would understand.  What can I say?  I guess I'm like Shrek...layers.  While I may drop the poet part and revive Vix yet again, Vix shall remain as it has become part of me as much as my real name, Rhonda.  Vix is just the part of me that Rhonda always reminds to think before she says something that is not politically correct in real life... one of the many hazards of employment. If I could go by just Vix, I would but it always seems to already be taken.  Blessings!

This simply sticks , I feel like am your brother and I alsu knew that same piece of your history,
      But I got it now .There is no guessing with you .

Well getting to know poetvis as the world turns I see strength.
      Bless.

19. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Mine was a no-brainer.
    If the name (and cape) fits, wear it! lol

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

Some where at the top you are going to find momster.
      Need no came just do the great job , and you know no one can tell you how to raise your kids.

I can bet captain Mon is on the horizon.

3. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Looks a little tight to me, but I don't mind! smile

4. rlaha profile image59

You go Mighty Mom smile.

20. mljdgulley354 profile image59
    mljdgulley354posted 12 years ago

Great question and I love the comments to it. My hub name is from my business and easy to remember if you leave off the numbers. That part came from being illiterate in computer programs that need a user name.

There you go mljd and beautiful I might ad. Isn't it amazing the way the mind works ? Th amount of people including me that have forgotten their password or beeper number.
      I remember one lady on here whose name is myforgottenpen, and I told her what a name ,and there are so many more.
      Bless.

21. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

My hybrid name I created from the respect I have for the American eagle,plus  the USA was about to become my home.

The 'Kiwi' part is named after the Kiwi bird ,indigenous to New Zealand and affectionately bestowed on New Zealanders (nic name) of which I am. smile

I wrote a couple of articles on another site and shortened it to Ekiwi,which I thought might be cool when I launched into EBooks lol

22. designtech profile image60
    designtechposted 12 years ago

hey, I didn't know we could have multipul accounts and names?  I just deleted an old account I foregot about.  So what are the tricks?  I'm learning something here?

Some may have great intention ,and the rest is history, When the cat's away the mice would play.

Just people, but I enjoyed the movie, "And justice for all!"
      Bless

23. houseclearance profile image60
    houseclearanceposted 12 years ago

How do you change your username? created it ages ago but don't like the username any more

I know for sure , although you might be a little off, the the love will shine on you.
      I don't know but watch out.

Bless.

24. savanahl profile image67
    savanahlposted 12 years ago

I use my first name and initial for my last, which I'm glad I do. It's my user name on all my sites. I did this purposely so, if ever I got published then people can make the connection to all my sites and my writing.

There is the brilliance of ones own thought put to future use long ago in the past. Great work, just Believe!

Bless.

25. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

Sky i will one for one poems with you any day. my few words will trounce  your many . as to why you haven't  seen any. its cus you showed up late in this game.  withing 2 years , either you will yank your hubs down. or quit altogether. this venue has a short life span. i blame the elitist nature  of the moderators  who  without transparency.  flag content and  material they don't care for.Dog fight, was  the final straw for me . a short first person fiction tale that  cast a  different light on the  practice of cultural dog fighting. i knew when i started it  that it might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

and also when you use a word haphazardly  and without restraint . it takes from the meaning of said word.
    then all the sudden
    blessed  becomes a spit in the face , or a empty i love you.
    miss me with your blessings.
    im not amused
    ray

26. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

Delta Herculis. sky 9106

27. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

sarin ?  or is it just a number?

just know that it's dangerous all around.

so you are bolt

Bless is the best , I you are around me you should see , what I use my poems for is special , Shakespeare already took the poetic crown , but that' his achievement. I got mine and I must follow , there is nothing that can stop what I am doing,  It's even too late for death.
          There will always be good and bad people in this world, t could never hurt you if you find one more. But I am blessed in the sense that I have some , and I am proud . I wish you all well , so I usually say Bless with sincere meaning.

28. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

poem for poem. ive read some of yours.  i like them but a lil religious for me.    we can squash this . i prefer friends to enemy's. esp with fellow poets. my frustration with this venue has been taken out on  you. for this im sorry.
    ray

Then the road up ahead look great , and that's where we must start.

Give Thanks.

29. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I've been relache online for over a decade and I will continue to do so in the future.

So though it's public , it has a secret meaning. lol. That's ok, great to see you.

Bless.

30. Africanus profile image60
    Africanusposted 12 years ago

In my case, people tend to choose the names they think is best for me.
    The problem with 'Africanus' is that it is both a name and a title - Scipio was a Roman. It simply means 'African' or 'the African' In the Classics and in Anthropology, it was conferred as a title on famous explorers and people of that sort, but in the hands of present-day Spanish and Portuguese people, it becomes 'Africano,' because they understand the meaning and tend to translate it from Latin to their own language. To people who choose to be guided by the sound, it is 'Afrikaans', and for some unknown reason, some others imagine me a woman and 'correct' it to 'Africana.' Less than a monthe ago, I was rejected for membership of a very prominent social exchange site because they thought it was a made-up name. Eventually they agreed to be convinced, but even then, they missed the point completely, and spelled it 'Afrikanus.' 
    The beauty of all this is that without them realizing it, the kind of error they commit among other things,  indicates their level of ignorance and gives me some insight into their education or personality. At the same time they are very pleased about their choice. So it is a win/win situation, and my name remains a sort of self-diagnostic tool

1. sportgames profile image59
      sportgamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The nickname I use reflects very well what I do and what my interest is, so it's better than any other witty name I might have come up with.

That's the book in review , it reminds , while it speaks , even while you are sleeping. If your name markets you ?

Bless.

Even while being in absentia  I feel the joy you share with that incident . That's exactly the reason my darling mother told my Dad , how do you expect that boy to learn to spell all these names . My Dad replied :

Because he is my Son.  He meant it. He gave me six names and Africanus   was one on the six. It was No# 3.

Thanks for the knowledge, keep up the great work.

Bless.

31. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 12 years ago

I chose Gypsy Rose Lee because she was real and had a very fascinating life. It was the stage name for a burlesque queen who also starred in some films and had everything to do with vaudeville. She had a very strict mama looking after her - Mama Rose and her mom was the subject of many musicals with famous actresses playing the title role. Finally some dates that coincide with my life - her autobiography was published in 1957 - the year I was born and Gypsy Rose Lee herself was born in 1911 which is the year my mom came into this world. So knowing about this interesting and unusual lady when faced with picking out a name I chose hers.

Beautiful Rose ! I had to read over to make sure , I saw she was real at the start and said Was, and went back . Got it now and it's beautiful. You know me and mothers at this time. You took a year in front of me . So what! lol.
      But it does feel better if you ever forget, but then how can you?

Bless.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)