People in HubChallenge, how many of your hubs do you enjoy writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

I write 5 hubs a day. 2 of them are quality hubs that I enjoy writing and put my most effort to, the rest are there to share some kind of information I think is interesting. But these are not as good and I actually struggle to write them. So how many of your hubs are you satisfied with?

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy writing all of them! smile I've only written 4 so far...96 more to go! lol.

I would never write about anything on here that I wasn't interested in or didn't know very much about. HubPages is not college! wink As a college student, I use HubPages as a fun & creative outlet. I don't needs any more torture, as it is! hehe

2. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I'm averaging three a day. I'm enjoying two out of the three. It's hard though because I can't put the research and effort into all of them, and that's what I enjoy. I'm thinking of dropping back to the thirty in thirty days so that I can really turn out some of my best work. This challenge has improved me (a lot!) but I can't say I'm enjoying the writing as much as I could be.

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Remember commenting on one of your hubs saying it's very encouraging to see that people who tend to produce pretty valuable hubs are also taking the challenge. How can one keep up to one's good standards with this constant pressure to produce more and more? That question's been stuck in my mind ever since, so believe me or not your case was the inspiration behind this forum topic. It's crazy you gave the first answer.

wittywriter - I guess it's the same for us all. One distinguishing feature of a good writer is that they are never satisfied with what they wrote and always aim for more. I am no writer. I'm here for fun and to make the most out of this challenge, which makes me wake up 06:30 every day and do my job eagerly and with determination late into the night, a thing that never before happened in my life. So I'm the most grateful for HubChallenge.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image84
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting! Those "quality" hubs are the ones I'm enjoying. If you catch a shorter "what the heck?" hub, that's one I didn't enjoy so much wink

2. aidenofthetower profile image67
        aidenofthetowerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the thing I am struggling with the most. I love writing hubs and have felt great about the work I have completed. However, I have so much to do with a few of the other sites I work for and making my goal is starting to feel impossible. I am also 9 hubs behind! So, while I will do my best...I am feeling that I might not make it work after all sad

3. wittywriter profile image60
    wittywriterposted 14 years ago

I depends on the day as to how many hubs I post. Sometimes, if the boys are not harassing me and I have enough energy after work, I can post 3 or 5. I try to put the same effort in to all. However, I am not sure if it comes through on a couple I have reread.

4. lbtrader profile image60
    lbtraderposted 14 years ago

i focused on a theme for this challenge....snakes and i'm enjoying it but when i think of something outside my theme that would make a good hub i get a little frustrated with my choice.

I'm not so concerned about great hubs...i am not a professional writer and this is another experiment in life.

I like your attitude haunty.....

I noticed you write a lot about snakes. So that's why.

embitca - I'll go check your themes. I'm interested.

Uninvited Writer - Hell yeah, I liked at least ten of my own too. smile

EM - of course, I've not read all your hubs, cause I'm busy for the challenge, but soon as it's done I'll catch up.

dwilliamson - childrens' stories? Sounds great. I'll check them out. smile

curiozities - thanks for the advice I've already taken it smile Congrats for your child!

kerryg - That's totally understandable. I not just wouldn't write about sth I couldn't care less for, chances are I couldn't.

1. curiozities profile image60
        curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haunty, you're welcome on the advice and thanks for the Congrats on the baby! :-)  Best of luck with your work on the HubChallenge.

5. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

I have one hub I'm not crazy about that I finished up for the Challenge that I would have otherwise deleted unfinished, but aside from that I'm enjoying writing my hubs.

Like lbtrader, I plan on sticking to a few themes for the duration and they are topics that have done well for me in the past so it will be good to add more hubs that can all interlink to each other.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

So far I have liked all 10 I have written. I doubt I'll write ones I don't like

7. dwilliamson profile image60
    dwilliamsonposted 14 years ago

I am averaging 4 to 5 hubs per day. I do enjoy writing each and every one of them because I am writing about things I enjoy writing about. I don't know too much about the usage of keywords which I really want to learn about so I don't pay too much attention to keywords right now. I have so far published 27 of 100 hubs for the challenge so I am right on the target for my hubs. I usually write children's stories so it is sometimes hard for me to get my hubs over the 400 word mark but I do believe that what I have written I have put my best effort into doing. I enjoy writing very much.

8. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

I enjoy all of the ones I write, but then again I'm not doing four or five a day because I can't.  I have a day job that takes a lot out of me plus a newborn I want to enjoy every possible minute with. 

My suggestion would be to ignore an arbitrary goal and do them as long as you enjoy them.  Once writing starts to feel more like drudgery, call it a day and go relax or something.

9. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

I've been aiming for four a day and I've enjoyed some more than others, of course, but so far the only one I really didn't enjoy was the erosion control mats. And even that one I wrote because I was doing some research for my own purposes and figured I may as well put it to use here as well. I wouldn't write a hub about something I didn't have *any* interest in.

10. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Why would anyone write a hub on a subject they did not enjoy?  Find a way to write about topics that you like, not just about what you think might be popular.  Or better yet, find a hot search engine topic and put your twist on it!

11. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I only write hubs I enjoy writing.

12. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

I have not joined the challenge simply because I can write only when I get some better idea to write (which does not come so often) and also when I get time to write.

13. Aunty profile image60
    Auntyposted 14 years ago

I'm enjoying it all very much. My hubs are all about photography so far. I love it and if I can get any of that passion across and help people new to photography, then that is what it's all about for me.

I'm doing the 30 hubs in 30 days and on target for that. If it gets to the point that it's a chore, then I shan't bother any more. I don't see that happening though... I could waffle on all day every day about all sorts of nonsense, lol.

14. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I have really enjoyed all of the hubs I've written so far for the challenge.  I have posted my 10th one.  I had chosen 16 topic/titles last weekend in preparation. But, I found that 3-4 of the hubs I've published came via inspiration from things that happened this week and they were easier to whip up and get them out the door.  The flow was there, if you know what I mean.  I still have the others that I'm going back and researching and writing little by little.  I don't consider them a chore, but they don't flow as easily as the newly inspired hubs do.  So, I'll just keep flipping and flopping between the two.

15. Haunty profile image73

packerpack - and you're the one with the right idea smile

Aunty - I enjoy photography too. I'll check your hubs.

KCC - I know what you're talking about. I collected dozens of ideas the first they and wrote them on a piece of paper. Only some of them are done while I did more than 20 pieces on inspiration like you do.

16. Haunty profile image73

SweetiePie and LondonGirl - if you answered my original questions, all I can say is that there has been a recent government declaration issued by the Department of Homeland Security. I looked it up again, and it says,

Now if I'm not mistaken HubCallenge has clearly stated that participation is only recommended for crazy people. So my answer is: I am crazy.

17. cindyvine profile image71
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

When this hub challenge thing started, many people voiced their concerns which I read and at the time, thought ah it won't be so bad.  However, after nearly a week of this crazy challenge I am having second thoughts about it, and feel that those naysayers might have been right after all.  One of the things about being part of the hubpages community, is giving feedback and reading each other's hubs and commenting on it.  With the mad rush to write and all that pressure, I find that I have very little time to read others' hubs, and there are just more and more being churned out making me completely overwhelmed and unable to do the part I like - the feedback part.  The hubtivity is clogged up with heaps of boring titles that I have no desire to read.  Unfortunately, it is always the title that pulls me in, I don't see my favorites in the hubtivity, and some of my favorites are so pissed off with this hubchallenge thing, that they have left for good.  So I have to ask, is this hub challenge really a good idea?  Was it thought through carefully?  Was any thought given to the hubbers not participating?  I really think it was something that sounded good at the time but practically it's not working and killing hubpages, like when weeds take over the vegetable patch and stifle the growth choking all the life out of them.  Mmmm, maybe I can write about this for my hub challenge hub.

The same thoughts here. One thing I guessed about you was that your favorite part is reading and commenting. smile Also, I knew it from the start that whoever enters the race for 100 hubs will not be able to be as elaborate with them as they might otherwise be and this will take its toll on the quality of those hubs.

Uninvited Writer - That's what I'm planning too. After it's done I'm not gonna produce any new hubs for a while, but I'll review my posted stuff and if I find that anything went amiss during the rush I'll fix it.

Lissie - It's good practice. I log in to my Linux with one ID when I do my regular job and another when I just want to have fun, for instance on Hubpages. This is to be better organized.

marisuewrites - You can still go for it. I've done 30 hubs in 6 days, so I think for someone who enters today it might still be easy to write 30 hubs during the time left. smile

girly_girl09 - Apart from being a nice hobby, I think, writing hubs makes you proud of yourself in a way. There are people who are just crazy about the research part and that's the thing they enjoy most in college too.

ysdata - I thought it was impossible to go beyond 5 a day. smile Thank you for teaching us perseverance.

18. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

When I joined HubPages there was a challenge going on. It didn't bother me at all.

I don't tend to browse Hubtivity much myself. Most people who visit the site do not read through it either. They usually find articles through search engines. I'm happy I'm not seeing as many spam and crap hubs in the forefront. I looked at 3 pages of the latest hubs and saw only good quality hubs and none of them needed to be flagged, that doesn't happen very often.

I figure I can catch up after the challenge is over. I still think this is a good thing for the site.

That being said...I'm not sure I'm going to make the 100 sad

19. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

I know Im not the only regular who is posting under a new ID for the challenge. One of the reasons is to separate my commercial hubs from my social ones. I can understand why a fan wouldn't want to read "blue widgets" "brand x blue widgets" "used blue widgets"" and "Y blue widgets" - all posted in a row - but there are people who do -they find the "how to make blue widgets at home" hub and come and check it out- sometimes they click on the add - they make me money :-)

This isn't killing HP - its making it stronger -its nice that people comment on hubs - but it doesn't make any money for HP or the author - I know I never click an ad and comment on the same hub :-) I have one hub out of over 100 which is both top of the search engines for the term and has had lots of comments - its the exception not the rule. I have some fanastic hubs that no one reads because they are well buried and get no social traffic

20. marisuewrites profile image57
    marisuewritesposted 14 years ago

I think the hub challenge is not good for the majority of us who didn't participate....and I don't think any one can say they're making money on this, maybe they will in the future, but it's just left most of us out in the cold.  What good does 3 hubs a day do?  Fill Hubpages up with more content?  At what price to the authors and readers? 

Certainly people could write this many hubs on their own without the challenge, but most are so busy writing, all scores are being affected..

If someone makes money off this, I'd be glad to hear it, but it sure has taken the fun out of hub for a month.
    sad

21. profile image0
    ysdataposted 14 years ago

I have written 40 hubs for the hubchallenge.  I really like 10-15 of them.

1. profile image0
      ysdataposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The word really is the key.  All of my hubs for the hubchallenge were written because the topic interested me.  15 more than others.

22. cindyvine profile image71

I took my thoughts and comments I made earlier in this thread and posted them in a new hub http://hubpages.com/hub/When-Hub-Weeds- … y-Hubpatch  It does seem as if many people feel the same way, and the question has to be asked if this is good for the greater hub commnity.

23. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I write what I feel.  I have expressed this a few times now.  I have enjoyed every hub I've written.  I have never written more than three hubs in a day and I think that three is too many.  I need to time say what I want to say.  To create cookie cutter hubs that conform to some formula that fits what gets a good score is a waste.  I'd rather cut the grass.

By the way, I did read correctly that I am dragging down my score by putting a link to my web site on every hub?  I believe I read that the powers that be do not like seeing the same link on every hub; is that true?

24. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

I'm new on the site. (about 5 days). I have written a few Hubs and have enjoyed writing them. Brainstorming for an interesting topic and then planning the layout etc.

I don't have any number in mind about how many Hubs to write in a week.  Just enjoying writing for now. Also, I get totally immersed in it. Its my new hobby.  However, it takes me about 3 hours to prepare/write and publish a hub. I Think thats a lot of time but hope to get better.  I'm not a writer by profession.

25. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I got to spend some time reading on hubpages yesterday, and I gotta say, the quality is massively deteriorated in this spam challenge.  Writers who I respect (and enjoy reading) a great deal for their writing style, voice, technical writing skills etc. are putting up stuff that at best could be considered a first draft.  There are word omissions, typos, edited lines that have words left over from before the changes were made, non-sequiturs galore... just, bad writing.  I can't wait til it's over.

26. marisuewrites profile image57
    marisuewritesposted 14 years ago

I hear ya shadesbreath, and the ones that are putting up really good writings are working their arses off and for what?  sigh, this was not a good idea in my opinion.  smile

27. cindyvine profile image71

You got to read some of the interesting discussions on my hub about this.  I think many people are giving up and going back to normal hub writing and reading!

28. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I've enjoyed writing all of them. I've averaging 3 per day but it's beginning to wear on me. I'm up to 21 hubs total out of 100, and I've left them all in my own name, but that's a good idea, what Lissie is doing. I didn't realize we could have hubs under two separate identities. I like the idea of that--of kind of doing them by theme under a single author identity.

I don't know if I'm enjoying the Hub Challenge or not. I'm just throwing lots of stuff at the internet wall to see what sticks right now. I'm keeping an open mind, but I'm also noticing that each day ends after 24 hours, which is a problem. smile

1. marisuewrites profile image57
      marisuewritesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pam, you could write well in a coma....

I'm sure it is exhausting tho...and I, like all the others have other things that grabs my time, I knew I could not keep up the pace...
      but many hubs are a bit like mushy noodles...sorry.  no names,  I would be mush too...probably am many times now...ok, I'm sorry, I take it all back, please put the computer down...don't throw that at me...

29. profile image58
    prince1244posted 14 years ago

I enjoy writing all of my hubs

30. Haunty profile image73

Any new thoughts?

31. forlan profile image61
    forlanposted 14 years ago

i write one short hubs a day because i have so many duty as financial and accounting consultant. I need at least three day to post a long text hubpages.

32. Zeta Sfico profile image58
    Zeta Sficoposted 14 years ago

i only write topics that i know well and enjoy writing it. why should we write something that we don't like? our writing present us.. writing something that i don't like will only kill me and make my head bomb.

And certainly we don't want that. smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.
      I "joined" knowing I would probably not finish the race-- but I have almost finished my personal goal (15 hubs), increased my posting by 100% of monthly personal average, and learned a lot in the process.

Like a first time marathoner, I have to consider my personal improvement. I guess I could have posted much shorter, less content, less research pieces- but I am satisfied with what I have done.
      My next one (personal 100th all time) is not especially fabulous-- but I'm taking my time to make sure it is at least somewhat entertaining and interesting.

33. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I have completed the 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge and was motivated by Hubpage YouTube Videos with fellow challengers and other participants.  I get computer use after my son goes to school or my daughter goes to work.  I have also used the community library and the community library computers to complete the 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge.  Because of the logistics of getting to hubpages, I resulted in handwriting my articles in my notebook and then typing and optimizing them when a computer was available.

I completed the 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge in 22 days of which I am proud.  I could have completed the 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge sooner but did not have computer availability.  Initially I wrote four articles a day and then resulted to writing six articles a day because the kids were on their computers on the week end. I am not able to afford a computer for myself just yet and the kids need their computer for their school work as my daughter attends college.

I was able to complete the 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge because I liked being part of a team effort.  The Q&A section of Hubpages were helpful too and increased my daily hubpage articles because each time I answered a question, I submitted it as a hubpage article.  I find it easier to create a hubpage article when you are writing from experience with your ideas and thoughts instead of dealing with factual information like politics.

The 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge is one that I do not mind repeating because of the sense of community that I received when I could get to a computer.  My goal was to write a certain number of hubpages a day and I was able to write more and with quality and relevance.

34. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Am working at 30 in 30 and finding it a challenge. Nice to see others doing so well. Have completed 14 so far and don't think I will meet the required 30, but that was not ever my goal. I have been away from writing for a while, and really wanted to challenge myself to see what I could do and still maintain quality. I have enjoyed writing every hub but one - got stalled with the research. It was great fun, though, and I am pleased with what I will have accomplished, given all that is on my rather overfull plate right now.

35. BundleBoy profile image70
    BundleBoyposted 14 years ago

I am on 30 in 30. I enjoy every Hub I write.

36. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I've actually enjoyed writing all of mine.

37. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I enjoyed writing all 387 of my hubpages and especially the 100 Hubs in 30 days.

38. homes88m profile image60
    homes88mposted 14 years ago

im still very new to this, but ive greatly enjoyed every hub ive written, ive only written 4, and today is my second day. Please check it out, i have virtually no support yet and my rating is like a 9, anyway, I think that if I didn't enjoy writing it, i wouldn't

39. alekhouse profile image73
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

I've actually enjoyed writing all 30 hubs. I've only been on hubpages for a few weeks and this challenge has given me the impetus to write more and try out a variety of new topics and genres. I feel that my writing is improving from the sheer quantity I'm putting out. I write most of the time anyhow, so 30 hubs wasn't putting much pressure on me time-wise.

The only problem I found with the challenge was trying to keep up with all the hubs other writers were producing. I like reading other people's writing and comments and also like having the time to explore the site and the various chat threads going on.

40. cindyvine profile image71

Hey Rochelle, one more hub and you have done 100!  Woo Hoo!  I enjoyed writing all my hubs, but I do enjoy the commenting part as well and haven't had as much time for that as I would have liked!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Thanks Cindy, you are certainly on the fast track here. I have enjoyed reading yours. You have added a special sausagy flavor to the boards.
      Can't imagine your energy level with all of the stuff you have going on in your life. GO!!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Yes... finally I did it. #100 was a personal memory--but with some research added. I don't expect it to make much money or many views. But I think it at least shows that I have learned a little about graphics, capsules and formats.
      All of that has been a progression of learning for me.

You seem to have it nailed down.

41. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I did the 30/30 Challenge, and added 5 more so that I'd have an even 100 hubs.  I did it in 22 days.  I think my writing has improved, and I've certainly seen all my stats improve.  I am very pleased with the results. 

I enjoyed each of them for different reasons along the way.

42. KT pdx profile image68
    KT pdxposted 14 years ago

I'm doing the 30 in 30, and I'm enjoying every one even though I'm forcing myself to write.  I might not complete the 30, but I'm getting some good hubs and stories written.

43. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I enjoy each hub that I write, merely because I am learning to write. I have been humbled by some of the comments received from real writers (those experienced in this industry). This serves to encourage me to enjoy more that which I am learning each day.  If my works help bring a smile or a positive remark, then I am a lucky man. smile

44. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

If I don't enjoy it, it must not be meant for me to write.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)