Why are you on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (52 posts)
  1. KeithJK profile image59
    KeithJKposted 12 years ago

For some it's the ability to share your thoughts, for others it's to purely write, and then there's the people with dollar signs over their eyes. Which one are you or are you different?

1. skear profile image93
      skearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy writing articles as well as the community here, earning extra cash is nice too of course.

Initially I started writing here to create backlinks to my blog but I found that I actually enjoy writing here more than I do on my own site.

2. j-u-i-c-e profile image93
      j-u-i-c-eposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, like everyone else, it's all of the above. I love to hear myself talk, and I'm a pretty good writer, so I figure I might as well get paid for it. I've actually had my own website for years but get a lot more traffic through HP. The two complement each other very well, since they have different base audiences.

The community here is really excellent, as well. Definitely one of the nicest communities I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

1. teaches12345 profile image78
        teaches12345posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just repeating the above statements, I love the community and hubpage designs. It is rewarding to write on HP because it allows you to polish your skill while learning from others in the community. I like being able to apply the latest trends to my articles with little effort. The monetary value is also a plus.

3. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I came on to try and make some money out of something I enjoy doing. I have hardly made anything so it's really for the creative process now. Therefore I tend not to worry about jumping on the Google express :-) I just write what I like mostly.

4. anndavis25 profile image74
      anndavis25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know.

5. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Diversificaiton. But it's also because I love to write.

I'm going to write on the things I love to write about regardless. But I also need to keep kitty grit in the box, so I need a return on my writing.

I choose to post diffent types of content on different sites, because each site favors and is better at rewarding slightly different types of content. Getting eggs in multiple baskets is vital if you're trying to make a living.

My ultimate goal is to get enough income from Hubpages and other publishing sites that I can afford to spend most of my time writing fiction and STILL have the money flowing in to pay the bills.

6. alisha4u profile image40
      alisha4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am here to Have Fun !! Blogging has become a big part of my life..

1. profile image0
        mts1098posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are in the right place for fun...the forums are great...cheers

7. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All of the above + I enjoy writing on this site, it is very transparent. smile

1. profile image0
        mts1098posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Aevans...I hope all is well )

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

All of the above.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I'm here for the writing and for the money. I have made several amazing friends here, but I'm not really here for the community.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Dollar signs - but only if I can see those dollar signs while also enjoying the process of earning them.  I'm here in a skimmed/spare time situation.  I have to get some enjoyment out of earning the dollar signs.  BUT, definitely dollar signs.  Besides the dollar signs, though, I also try to put some version of "redeeming value" into at least some of my Hubs.  I'm not really driven by "writing for the sake of writing" on here.  It's either the dollars or else a kind of "change the world a little a time"  kind of thing (sometimes, anyway).

5. wayseeker profile image87
    wayseekerposted 12 years ago

I came here initially because of two things: I needed to make money, and I relished the idea of making money while writing what I wanted to write instead of what I had to for someone else.  Sadly, my need for more immediate cash forced me away from Hubpages for awhile (that and my day job).  After an absence of about 6 months, I've come back and I'm thrilled to be finding I may actually be able to make enough here that I can give up textbroker sometime soon...would love that. 

In the end, I've found that I really enjoy the community of writers here, the varieties of interests and opinions, and the supportive nature of the folks who run Hubpages itself.  I like money, but I could go many places and get better money moonlighting at some other job somewhere.  In the end, I'm here because I love writing and I love to reading the writing of others.

wayseeker

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

All of the above reasons and +1.

7. johnakc profile image39
    johnakcposted 12 years ago

Off course to share information with others and to get some traffic to my website as well.

8. forall profile image61
    forallposted 12 years ago

I am from people with dollar signs over their eyes. Kidding tongue. I came here to try a new experience. I was writing, but not sharing didn't help me to know how much my texts are correct since I write to learn. HP is a place where I can interact with people and share discretely. It gives my texts more chances to be read and thus my thoughts or messages can reach the maximum of people hopefully.
    For money, I can't say I wasn't happy to know that I can make money here. But later on, I realized that I can't do it. And this changed nothing in my initial goal. I am not making money, but I'm still finding the pleasure to share as always smile

9. im28beyond profile image61
    im28beyondposted 12 years ago

I used to write before back in college and I thought that was the end of it. But now, I've seriously tried to write again and see how it works for me. I wanted to gain more traffic before I could monetize my account. That's my goal.

10. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 12 years ago

When I heard about Hub Pages, I was happy - "at last, a place where I can write!"  Then, rubbing my eyes, I found out that I could earn money.  People who joined after me, according to what they say, get more hub views that I do, and much more money - but I am still satisfied.  First of all, my views per day and income is slowly going up.  I keep writing quality hubs, and the more I write the better I feel about my result.  I've got to say, it's been a win-win situation.

11. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I thought I was brilliant and I could make easy money.

Sixteen months on I'm a little wiser, and a lot less brilliant.

1. anndavis25 profile image74

Yes you are,  wiser and funnier.

12. profile image0
    SonQuioey10posted 12 years ago

I've learned a lot of valuable lessons in life. I've been through a whole lot, starting when I was just 4,  and the things I learned are things that I can share with others, that will truly benefit them. Help people avoid certain problems and  troubles that I've fallen into, almost fallen into, and have seen others fall into that's either harmed them or put them in a bad situation.

Making money is nice, but I LOVE to write. I have so many ideas for improving things in society and advice it's ridiculous. Also, being able to have any account with a mega-industry like Google or under Google, is just awesome to me. Makes me feel a little special.

13. kenneth avery profile image80
    kenneth averyposted 12 years ago

I am on HubPages for THREE reasons, and THREE reasons ONLY. A.) to make new, long and lasting friendships B.) To share the off-beat, unobvious viewpoints that I have concerning life, tragedy and (sometimes) the things that life has done to me and C.)To make my friends, old and new, on HubPages laugh--even if for one moment. In that one moment, they are not dwelling on the bad economy, wars across the world. Useless wars, I might add. Or some other dark thing that they are enduring. I feel if I can make ONLY ONE PERSON smile or laugh, then my time on HubPages has been worth it.

1. anndavis25 profile image74

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, Ken.  Smile smile smile smile.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
        kenneth averyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Ann. You laughed and smiled. Bingo!!!

14. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

They told me I could improve performance and stamina if I joined.

15. Docmo profile image90
    Docmoposted 12 years ago

I joined so that I could get spotted by a leading publisher and get commissioned to write a novel- at which stage I will offer by long gestating trilogy and become a bestseller of Rowlingesque proportions. Spielberg may call. There maybe a bidding war for film rights... and.. and...

Sorry what was the question? oh .. I joined because I like the discipline of preparing a hub, writing and designing it and then publishing it; The thrill of waiting for readers familiar and new to read my effort and comment; Of discovering new writers and sizing up the competition!

And mostly for the community of hubbers that are supportive, generous and friendly.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

16. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

Yesterday I envisioned something to help out Soc Sec with when that day arrives. I kinda' thought it would be more fun writing and stuff than saying hello to people at Walmart as a greeter. It's been a year and I am reassessing motives. For now, I'm experimenting trying to get it. Today, realizing it will take a bit to get there. Otherwise learning different writing genre's looking for my writers niche. It isn't what I thought. So, exploring. And. slowing it down.

17. gramarye profile image60
    gramaryeposted 12 years ago

I like to think it's because I like to write, but I have to admit I was sad when my daily hits plunged, and happy now they have crept back up!

18. Teylina profile image61
    Teylinaposted 12 years ago

Not sure, but have always enjoyed reading and writing. Problem for me on hp is I get so wrapped up reading (incl'g comments!) I then don't have time to write. Then when something hits my brain to write, I'm somewhere else! Chaotic-colored mind, which Alaster keeps telling me I can make into a rainbow. Still now sure about it.

19. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Why is it that the money part is always said with such sarcasm? Why?

Well I am here because I want to make money doing something I have dreamed of doing since I was a little girl, writing! And if someone doesn't like that then too bad.

So it comes down to this. If I can't make money on HP then I wouldn't not be here because I have no other source of income but my writing.

1. profile image0

Cardisa is why I am here big_smile

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey girl, what's up? Happy to see you.

1. profile image0

writing, ok just playing with solitaire but I'm sure I'll write soon lol

20. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I hoped to create some passive income to help me when I am no longer able to work as hard as I do now, since I have no pension prospects. I'd wanted this to kick in about 3-5 years from now, but that is not going to happen.

Results so far have not been very promising, so I dare not take too much time off my real work to produce hubs very frequently. I think it is mostly my fault, because I do not understand what interests most people and what sort of things they buy. However, even when I have tried to write about what I thought were popular topics, the results have been negligible.

21. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

I started this as a hobby and still enjoying it after 2 years, just wish I had more time to spend on it. I look forward to the day when I can work less and spend more time on writing about what I enjoy. A bonus too has been all the help and good virtual 'friends' I have made on this site, it's a great community of writers. smile

22. profile image0
    mts1098posted 12 years ago

I am here because it is too early in the morning for the man cave and the weather is not great for riding in my jeep with the top down smile

23. HikeGuy profile image70
    HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

I'm here for nostalgia.

My first hubs were just for the heck of it. I didn't monetize them for a couple of years. After a long stint of copywriting, I came back, monetized them, posted some new ones, planned to double them within a month -- then HP changed the TOS and I moved on.

There are some wonderful voices here, so when I pop in to update, I like to read. HP was an important part of my adventure in creating an income online, so I've been keeping it as a spoke in the wheel.

And Kenneth makes me laugh.

24. RooBee profile image80
    RooBeeposted 12 years ago

Mostly to get chicks.

25. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

I first came on hp to make extra money writing. But then i went insane, and i realized the forums are a great place to argue with people about my ever-changing weird ideas.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This post read my mind. smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In other words, same here.

26. ytsenoh profile image61
    ytsenohposted 12 years ago

I'm on HubPages to practice honing writing skills, passions, and to obtain positive and critical feedback.  I enjoy the connections with others who share the same drive.

27. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

Originally I landed here looking to make money. I did't make any for a long time but I struck around because I liked the site. I am still here 4 years later!

1. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80
      EuroCafeAuLaitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I made $5 last month but I love it here too smile

28. profile image0
    mts1098posted 12 years ago

Interesting question for me because I was here for 2 years and left for personal reasons.  I missed it so much that I came back and this time for good...

29. dagny roth profile image68
    dagny rothposted 12 years ago

I heard I could make millions here.  Now I realize it's just a cult of really intelligent people so I decided to wear the bandanna.

30. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 12 years ago

I want to share some things that I've learned in life and learn some things that others have experienced or expertise in. If I make money down the line, great, if not great. I have been having some really good discussions with some pretty neat people and that's always valuable in any setting.

31. GDiBiase profile image67
    GDiBiaseposted 12 years ago

I am here because I love to write, and what writer does not want to be read. I enjoy the community here on HubPages and have met some great people. I actually had coffee with a fellow hubber just this week. She was very nice and it was great making a new friend. I would be lying if I say I was not here to possibly make a bit of money. However money or not I will write!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)