Why this fanatic obsession with the gay issue?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (141 posts)
  1. silverstararrow profile image75
    silverstararrowposted 11 years ago

Hello everyone!

I've been on HP only for a short while, three weeks to be exact. In that time, I've come across one prominent topic on both the forums and the questions section.

The Gay Issue.

Why people are gay, how being gay affects religion, how homosexuality undermines the institution of marriage, should same sex marriages be allowed and so on.

In all these forums(or questions), a bunch of hubbers support the notion of same sex relationships, another bunch is totally against it, while some could really care less. The same old comments and opinions are posted again and again and yet again. I fail to understand why people are obsessed with this issue. Why this sudden fixation?

Some people are straight, some are gay and some are bi; get over it. Move on!

1. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not usually such a conversed topic it's just that recent events have thrown it into the limelight. I do think gay rights are important though.

silverstararrowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course gay rights are important, but what's really happening here is two sects of people working extra hard to impress their views on each other. You have a few overly religious individuals and a few activists arguing against and for the issue respectively.

There hasn't been any conducive end result so far, which is a little sad, given the magnitude to which the issue has been lifted. Neither team is bound to curb and accept the views expressed by the other. It's bound to remain a long, unsettled  debate. *sigh* hmm

1. jeanihess profile image60
          jeanihessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There will always be a debate and differing opinions. This should not cancel out people's rights to freely live the life that they choose and to have legal protection to those rights. People argue about divorce but it is still legal. Have those that say it will destroy marriage as we know it, always lived a one partner union, have children with only one partner? None are practicing abuse with domestic violence? None are just merely living together and not actually getting married? There are many things people do to undermine and destroy marriage and the family fabric. Odd how they pick on gays!

2. ASchwartz profile image67
        ASchwartzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hadn't really thought of that. I haven't been here too long, and while hub hopping I kept running across a lot of hubs about it.

2. kcsummers profile image59
      kcsummersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a social issue, it wasn't an obsession for most people. Everyone had an opinion and life went on. But as a political issue, it's been sensationalized, demonized, and inflamed by the media, etc. It's crazy!

I'll have to say that politics has thrown the issue into a whole new light, and I agree that it has been demonized and blown out of proportion by the media.

Crazy indeed! But it's just become a little tiring. sad

3. ib radmasters profile image59
      ib radmastersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You really are naive in your comment.
      The LGBT has been making an increased full frontal militaristic attack on society and people to force their lifestyle into mainstream validation.

The LGBT has a lot of rich and politically powerful people behind their movement. The real problem is that if they can get their way by force, then our society can be manipulated by any faction to get their way. And misusing the US Constitution undermines the reasons for its existence.

Gay rights are no more cogent than smoker's rights.
      It is also like the abortion issue, it is a moral issue, but it is being moved forward through politics

1. kcsummers profile image59
        kcsummersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"full frontal militaristic attack on society"? That's a little extreme. It's about evolution. Marriage has evolved. At one time, black people couldn't marry while people, women were considered their husbands property and divorce was illegal. It's time for the next step in that evolution.

You don't have an argument. Gay marriage will make people gay like hanging around with tall people will make me taller. It ruin the "sanctity" of marriage - you know that till death do us part vow that ends in divoce over half the time, a vow sometimes takes over and over.

I married her high school sweetheart 23 years ago, and I have seen same sex couples who share a love just as deep and meaningful. Also, to speak to the moral issue - in the same book of the bible is says eating pork and shellfish are sins. No one sin is worse than another. Also, it has been my experience that the people who speak out the loudest against gay marriage have homosexual tendencies of their own they are trying to compensate for. "I think thou dost protest too much".

2. SmartAndFun profile image92
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL at "full-frontal militaristic attack on society." It's a civil rights issue and people who are for gay marriage (including me) are just taking a stand and making a case for what we believe is right. Religions can define marriage however they want, but when it comes to the state, the government must offer everyone equal rights, whether that is the right to liberty, the right to vote or the right to marry. Legalized gay marriage will happen across the country eventually -- wait and see. My prediction is that some day it will make it all they way to the Supreme Court, but the justices will not be able to legally or philosophically deny it.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Beware the Gay Army!  Coming to a town near you in *fabulous* fatigues.

Shades of what people used to feel free to say about Jews.... that just shows me equality is not here yet.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
            MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

BTW... where can i find some of those fabulous fatigues?  Somehow the military missed me when they were sending out supplies...  Should they have came with my Gay kit or are they only if I upgrade to the Gold Membership?

1. brimancandy profile image77
              brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Love it!! I think I'll take my fabulous fatigues in hot pink! I can use those when I'm marching down the street in Chicagos gay pride parade, alog with the 750,000 other people that were in the parade last year.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image59

If the issue was a moral issue then there would be no laws governing it one way or another... since there are laws then it becomes political.

If everyone would be willing to remove all laws pertaining to the matter then I think everyone would be satisfied with it being a moral issue and the fervor would die down.

Unfortunately for the anti-gay stance no laws would automatically refer the issue back to "If there are no laws restricting gay marriage then it is inherently legal."

So yes... the anti-gay movement would really like it to not enter the political field as the laws wouldn't be affected and then they could win by default.

4. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the sort of absurd hyperbole that is actually helping speed up acceptance and approval of equality for LGBT people under the law. So, please, more. big_smile

4. jeanihess profile image60

In South Africa same sex marriages are legal. They can have civil marriages and some churches are willing to conduct gay marriages. There are people from all social spheres who oppose same sex relationships and marriages. At this time Traditional Leaders are trying to find ways to oppose it. Lesbians especially may be subjected to "corrective rape'. Gay men are often still beaten up. Nevertheless, the relationships and the marriages are legal. It is important to have the legal provisions because legislation helps to shape societal responses. Our Bill for Human Rights also offer rights and protection to gays. Gay- lesbian rights are thus constitutional and legislated and it is a crime to abuse anyone because of their sexual orientation.

5. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's because the current president can't win the next election on his record, so he has brought Gay marriage to the forefront of the conversation as a diversion.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/294971_371654016226296_114364638621903_962064_869865328_n.jpg

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Regardless of why it's out there. It's still an issue in America.

1. profile image0

Right, it is an issue. but it has been brought to the forefront of the conversation by the president as a diversion to the fact that he has accomplished nothing while in office.

2. Jane Bovary profile image83
        Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess politicians are damned if they do and damned if they don't then. Deny gay rights and you're accused of being too fearful of losing the religious vote. Support them and you're accused of launching a 'distraction'.

6. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My take on why it is such a big issue on here is because most of the writers on this site are American, and many of which are fanatical religionists who are homophobic and opinionated about what other people should do.

In my experience, most people who argue against homosexuality and gay marriage on this site are christians who live in the bible belt.

I think it is a bit sad really that religion causes so much conflict.

7. shea duane profile image61
      shea duaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

silverstararrow, you should probably avoid reading my hubs because I try to encourage discussion about social issues that are important to me such as equality and the Bill of Rights. i don't want to bore you.

Even in South Africa we know about the American Gay Furore. It shocked me to realize that America has still not legalized same sex marriages. Sex between consenting adults is a Human Rights issue and for public /forum discussion. Same sex unions / marriages is an economic issue too. People invest into their partnerships and then find that they have no legal protection such as a traditional marriage offers. No family insurance, no access to hospital as family when one partner is ill, no protected heir status...  Why should people's lives be made so difficult just because their sexual orientation is different? Why should other people not question this? I too experienced this censure on another discussion. Perhaps that should be question too:)

2. silverstararrow profile image75

shea duane, I'm following you right now and going to read those hubs in the near future.

Now, when I posted this forum thread, I knew there would be disagreement. Let me reiterate, I fully respect all races, sexes, castes, religions and yes, sexuality also. Maybe my tone implied otherwise, but what I've been trying to get across is the fact that the discussions going on here (in HubPages) specifically, revolve around the same old thread; some against homosexuality and some in favour of it. What I have witnessed is an increase in the number of people posting, and trying to impress their views on others (I refer to the religious people who are against the notion of same sex relationships). As is with all the moral/social/political issues, this one too, can be dragged on for a long long while with no end result.

The religious people will stay firm in their beliefs and those who support homosexuality will be strong in their views too. Just because the American President revealed his support for gay marriages a little earlier than planned, has made this into a huge discussion topic. The media has also played a pivotal role in that regard.

My question had more to do with why this hue and cry now, when same sex marriages have already been prevalent and legal in many countries.

I've also been a victim to some form of  discrimination from time to time. Discrimination is bad and should never be practised or encouraged. I did not mean anything negative while using the term 'The Gay Issue'; in fact the forum I posted this on is called 'Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Issues'. That was just a borrowed term. Nothing to do with segregation or dismissal.

I'm not a bigot; only too poor with words, it seems. Failed to actually express the thought I was aiming for. sad

Not all religious people are against same sex marriages. This was a huge debate in South Africa just a few years ago. It certainly caused international waves in the Anglican Church throughout the world. Some couples opt for a civil marriage followed by a church blessing.

2. shea duane profile image61

But even now you wrote that some people are "in favour of it" meaning homosexuality... I'm not in favour of anything, but I support human beings... I'm not oin favour of homosexuality or heteriosexuality... I'm just a person who thinks peopel should be treated with respect.
          Later, you wrote, "...and those who support homosexuality will be strong in their views too."  I think you are missing the point... it is not a matter of supporting homosexuality as though it is a political candidate... human beings, gay or not, deserve to be treated with respect. It is an issue now because some states are debating the issue of gay marriage and trying to define marriage in general. The Constitution is supposed to be inclusive rather than exclusive... this 'issue' is just the tip of the iceberg in an overall vision of equal human rights.

1. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What iceberg?

Thinking that way would mean that you think a mother and son or daughter who "love" each other should have the right to get married, or that a man and his son or daughter should be able to get married, etc.    That would certainly be "inclusive".
            Heck, since the excuse of economics is so often used in this issue, why don't we just keep goin' down the line and say that any two people of whichever genders who simply share housing/expenses should use the option of getting married just so they can have the same supposed-benefits of all married couples?  That would be "fair", wouldn't it?   After all, we wouldn't want to have any "single" people in America, now would we?  Since everyone "loves" at least someone on this planet, they should make sure they get married to someone.  Otherwise, they're sure to be discriminated against and miss out on that government money! roll

1. shea duane profile image61

I'm talking about Constitutional inclusion with respect to disallowing laws that deny civil rights such as 'separate but equal.' The argument you use is the same argument people used to deny racially mixed marriages. Further, you are comparing incest with gay relationships... Do you really think incest, a behavior even avoided in the animal world, is akin to same sex marriage?  And what government money are you talking about? I've been married to my husband for 24 years, and we haven't been offered any government money?

1. profile image0

Some people may have used that argument, but I didn't and haven't and won't, and neither did a lot of the people from generations before this one!   The talk about interracial marriage is used by the Left to finger-point at conservatives.   Skin color is an entirely separate thing from homosexuality.
                As is the reference to animals!   It never ceases to amaze me how liberals keep trying to equate humans to animals when it's convenient for their agenda, but then they try to point out the difference when it suits them!

And why wouldn't incest (leaving out the animal reference) be akin to homosexuality?   Both are unnatural and wrong.  I suppose if the only two people left on earth were a man and his daughter, there might be a reason to copulate like preserving the human species, but indeed we aren't faced with that dilemma, are we?   And at least a father and daughter would be a male and a female with the right body parts for copulation and producing offspring.   I'm not advocating for incest at all, but it would be more natural and feasible than homosexuality, in ANY scenario.

And as for the original post and question in the title of this thread,  there is an obsession with furthering the gay agenda.  It's not the opposers who are fanatical about it; it's the liberals who keep pushing this issue, trying to force it into America's laws and into our schools, etc., even after some States have voted against it and the majority of Americans do NOT want it.   They've succeeded so far in making it an issue that's even shoved in the faces of innocent immature grade school children.    It should've been dismissed years ago for the radical fanatical agenda that it was and is.

1. janesix profile image59
                  janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Go take a nap Brenda.

1. profile image0

I really could use one, janesix!   You too?
                    I guess I'm too long-winded sometimes.   But hey I'm an eternal optimist.  Eventually people (usually) do go back to doing what's right.  It just takes years and years sometimes.  But all it takes for a wrong idea to get to fruition is for good people to stay silent and get distracted long enough for it to worm its way into society's laws.   But America is a very resilient Nation.  It corrected the wrongs that were done generations ago.   And eventually it will be corrected and brought back to common sense on these issues; at least I do hold out that hope.  I look forward to the day when it will wake up and realize the horror of how many unborn babies were killed and how many people's lives were led into chaos because of the liberal agenda, and be sad, and hungry enough to fix what was wrong.

I want to edit this to say it's not really "man" that I have faith in to fix these immoral wrongs.  What I hope is that God Himself will work through a good leader or group of people to correct things before He has to exact punishment on this Nation.  Because in the meantime the holocaust of abortion will continue, and the deception of our young people will continue, and that's scary.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

Incest results in birth defects in the children from the union.  As you have pointed out many many times there is no way that a gay marriage can produce children with birth defects.

Just a point...

Actual points, and reason, doesnt seem to effect her much.

8. profile image51
      slingshotdaveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's social engineering by the central banking/corporate Oligarchic 'elite'. They want to confuse gender roles, feminise men, masculinise women and thus destroy marriage and ultimately the family as family provides cohesion and resistance against tyranny. Institutions like family and religion are intolerable to the oilgarchy as they fast track their plans to force through world government over the ruins of their engineered economic and social chaos. Devotion to a God that promotes individual rights, absolute morality, family values etc the antithesis of the collectivist, Darwinian, Communist ethos of the 'elite's' planned world system is unacceptable to them, they must have devotion to State above all else, hence the engineered anti-religion campaign across society in recent times. Feminism has been massively promoted also in order to destroy male/female relationships and thus family while weakening men, the main threat to the new world order as they're more likely to challenge authority and are physically more combative.
      Another key advantage is the destruction of parental influence from the erosion of the family leaving the children to be brainwashed and raised by the state via the media and in the case of orphans directly.
      Gay marriage also serves as a political distraction why they sneak through devastating civilisation-changing tyrannical legislation like the TPP that grants  banks and corporations near absolute tyrannical control over us where any legal recourse for the public is all but removed. This was passed 2 days before gay marriage.

The gullibility and ignorance of the masses never ceases to amaze.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Obama + Gay (in same news story) = teacup + storm

3. Marsei profile image91
    Marseiposted 11 years ago

Livelonger, you are so right.  It's the ridiculous rhetoric, meaness and insensitivity that is causing people to become fed up and think:  Well, I know I don't agree with someone who thinks like this, so maybe same sex marriage is not so bad.  Like you said,  Keep it up.  The more absurd and insulting it gets, the more people change their beliefs.  They are losing their own battle.

4. silverstararrow profile image75
    silverstararrowposted 11 years ago

I don't condemn anyone for their sexual orientation, nor am I insensitive. The only reason I posted this thread is because there are so many forums and questions discussing this topic, but with no end result. As I've said, it is different factions of people expressing their opinion and taking a stand, when it doesn't lead to any change.

Within a few days/months/years, this argument too will fizzle out and then what? It's hard to believe that debate between people of opposite beliefs could lead to either a miraculous disregard or acceptance in this matter. Some people, people against gay marriages or people who support them,are headstrong in their views.

Of course change is possible,but I do not see anything happening SOON in that route here (HP). That is all. I apologize if it sounded anything otherwise.

Personally, I believe nobody has the authority to question somebody else' choices. What is indeed mean, is what's happening in the other forum threads, with thousands of posts and still counting.

"...miraculous disregard..."smile more like malicious disregard...

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6622068_f248.jpg

1. Paulshub profile image60
      Paulshubposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point!

Yeah, I thought so too. lol

6. Marsei profile image91
    Marseiposted 11 years ago

Silverstararrow:
    I had pretty much the same feelings you do, that nothing would get resolved in a forum of this sort.  Then I realized that if my rights were threatened in any way by any group of people, I would want someone standing up for me through any forum available.  It's a fundamental part of who we are, that we stand up for the rights of others.  I've said pretty much everything I have to say and likely not made a whit of difference, but when I thought about the fact that one day it might be me for some fundmentally different reason, yet still an infringement of my rights, I had to speak up. 
    Society is a giant organism, in my opinion.  When one part mistreats the other, it becomes dysfunctional until the wrong it righted.  Some of the things being said here should not go unanswered by anyone who believes in fairness.  When any person looks at a group of individuals and tells them for any reason that they are not good enough to enjoy the same rights other enjoy, silence is equal to agreement.  Here's something I believe all of us need to consider.  No one is guaranteed a straight child or grandchild.  I have a friend who had the most homophobic views imaginable.  She had two straight sons.  Now at our age, mid '60s, she is faced with dealing with a gay grandson.  She is his biggest defender; no one messes with him if she's around.  We all love our families and some of the rhetoric being bandied about is hurtful and shameful and should never be used because of the pain it inflicts.  That's why I changed my mind about speaking up in this forum.

You are right, Marsei. However, I did not mean that people should overlook the rights (personal and moral) of others, only stop demeaning others because they don't fit into your compartmentalized mindset.

Should there be someone who lives in a different way than what you are used to, that does not make him/her an anomaly. Rather from said person's perspective you are the different one. Individuality is not dictated by society and forcing ideologies on others just because they have been the norm for so long does not make it morally right. The people who uphold religion and so-called morals, must know that judging others based on their preference alone is the first sign of bigotry. Now, that is something not correct morally, socially or politically.

7. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

To the OP:

First, thanks so much for the authoritative command, in support of "Move On! [.org]
    I didn't realize TUSA was fully a Citizen Kane society, yet. Must I surrender my ACLU card, though? Am so fond of it.

Second, the issue of homosexuality has become political in the States, because instead of said people following their own advice of "mind your own business", the issue was pushed -by all ends- into everyone's business, like it or not.

Third, {though I do not support religion} there are considerable non-religious persons who are in opposition to this mandate. Estimates claim nearly 25% of the non-religious US population. So, let's be fair.

Finally, I agree, the issue has spun and been spun out of control. Like a cosmic phenomena or something. My position remains the same: sex[uality] -be it hetero, homo, animal, vegetable, mineral, other has absolutely -and should have absolutely nothing to do with the rights of a citizen, within the boundaries of law. Which, then makes the whole issue moot. Marriage is not a civil right, it is a social preference, a permission, a privilege. The religious aspect is generally ceremonial and has been practiced by 80% of the global population probably since the dawn of man. I would like nothing more than to see the "marriage equality" thing {!ha, it is even funny typing that phrase} end already, because there are much more pressing matters -like the environment, food supply, fresh water, genetically-induced super flu, etc that need immediate attention and solutions. Who's boning who for whatever reason is irrelevant. And the money to be made in the "Gay" Peoples Court, Daytime TV Interviews and the like is shameful.

Good hunting on the peaceful occupation.
    James.

Are you really sticking to this?

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ray!

Yup, `fraid so. See, the issue within the "freedom of religion" under Constitutional Law, only emphasizes this. Marriage is a ceremonial expression allowed within one's preference of religion. And because this "freedom" was written into that document, the government must recognize that act of marriage, within the religion of choice. Marriage, therefore, is a privilege -upheld by the Constitution.

There is no law on the books stating two individuals must be married. That is a violation of civil rights. Rights that include occupying a space, owning property, voting, gambling, open a business, fair market wages for work performed, firearms, etc.

The issue is being forced into discrimination. But the law forbids discrimination based on genetic race, skin tone, gender and sexual preference. If the individual is being denied equal rights, under the law, then certainly they have every right to defend their equality. But tossing in the term marriage is ridiculous. Say it aloud: "Marriage Equality" !ha, too funny. Typical "Marriage Equality" does not exist in the States for hetero couples, even with the BOR in place. And To my knowledge there are ample cases and laws regarding "unmarried" same sex {non-sexual} persons receiving equal compensation for insurance claims, visitation rights, etc. most of the "disputed" laws, fall under offspring rights -like they are dealing with from adoption cases.

Me personally, I see no reason to automatically grant another individual the right to claim my insurances, estate, assets, offspring, benefits, etc just because we boned - straight or otherwise. This is one reason I think marriage/divorce in States is ridiculous. A few spats, piles of dollars, a bored sex life and voila, instant cash cow for one, a pick-up truck with three wheels for the other, stocked high with alimony and child support.

James.

lol lol

2. Jane Bovary profile image83
      Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Marriage is not a civil right"
      But equality under the law is.

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeed Jane. I am in total agreement.
        But to be fair, show the equality in regards to "marriage" in US history. It does not exist, equally for both parties. It won't be any different by adding another type of couple to the docket.

James.

8. profile image0
    janikonposted 11 years ago

"full frontal militaristic attack on society" I think I'm going to get that put on a t-shirt because it's the most ridiculous, completely inane and hilarious statement. It will make the best t-shirt ever.

The 'gay issue' as it was so cavalierly referred to as, because of people like this, who say completely stupid statements like that. I'm not obsessed, it just happens to be my life.

i thought using the term 'the gay issue' was really dismissive of a large segment of humanity, also.

9. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

In answer to the original post. I agree that the media is partially to blame for the whole gay marriage frenzy. People keep blaming it on a gay agenda, when the fact of the matter is, it's the political agenda, and the media, that has put gay marriage in the spotlight. As a lot of what is being said today, has only been brought up in the last couple years heading into a presidential election. Which does not surprise me...just another hot button issue.

The Democrats have been trying to sidestep the issue, while leaving it up to the states to pass laws, and the republicans want an outright ban, because their largest financial contributor is the church. That, and they have no plan for America, and want to use the church to scare people into believing that there is impending doom, from gay marriage. Another issue that they tie to the church is abortion.

However, if you look at the forums, the largest and most talked about subject is religion. And, as much as the politicians are trying to play god, I'm not surprised by all the religious crap that is coming out of their mouths these days. Gay rights is just one that they have chosen to fight head on, because they know that it's an issue that pisses off their base, which is made up of white god fearing rich people.

I think is was Dave Shappel who did the best bit. One reporter says to him, if you are elected prsident what will do to help the poor and aid the economy. He raises his hand and says. "Awe screw that! Gay folks is getting married yaw, and that aint right...we're talking man on butt sex...in prison maybe. But, not in my neighborhood. Two girls together though..that s#$T is hot!" And, another reporter says...but what about jobs?" And, he looks at her and says did I stutter bytch!" No more questions. Pretty much the mood of the republican party.

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Actually, the recent obsession with "the gay issue" here on HP is merely a distraction from the much larger and more protracted full frontal assault being waged on women's reproductive freedoms by the (faux) religious right.
    Hang in here for a few more weeks and you'll see.
    We'll be back to our regularly scheduled full-fever-pitch moral outrage about the "A" word and women who don't want to get pregnant keeping their knees together and all the other associated anti-woman venom momentarily.
    smile

Meantime, where can I get me one of those t-shirts?

1. Marsei profile image91
      Marseiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Mighty Mom.
      It seems a certain group of women does not want the government in their churches, schools, businesses, etc., but does want them in their reproductive organs and in their bedrooms to make sure they're with the correct partner.  Go figure.

1. livelonger profile image87

Obsessing about gays and abortion is the easiest way to fake piety for a bunch of sinful heterosexual men.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's completely unfair, Jason. 

It works for women too.  tongue

Yes, I suppose among the post-menopausal bunch who won't have to make a decision on abortion for themselves. I've seen that a lot, too. tongue

1. profile image0

lol

Sheesh, what if men could carry a child?  You'd be at the end of the butt of every political rifle barrel.  Thank God for small blessings.

lol What's for absolute sure is that if men could get pregnant, the abortion issue on the right would vaporize.

1. profile image0

You speak truth!

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59

LMAO... It might not change the abortion issue much but I PROMISE you that after the first birth they would be handing out condoms in happy meals.

That, too! But I sense all the nuance and sense of agency over your own body would be part of the discussion, and opposition to choice would drop (at least until they reached "man"opause).

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think supporting gay marriage which would allow gays to co-adopt/inherit/get life saving health insurance/make end of life decisions for each other etc and allowing gays to serve openly in the military *is* acheiving something.

1. profile image0

It's flip flopping.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He's a politician. All I care about is whether he is flopping in my direction.

1. profile image0

And it is a reckless transformation of fundamental American values in the name of getting votes.

Changing the definition of marriage is a reckless transformation of fundamental American values?

Hmmm...

Are we talking about the outlawing of polygamy again?

1. profile image0

no, gay marriage. Try to keep up with the conversation.

Flew right over your head, didn't it?

1. profile image0

Nope. Just don't feel like pandering to nonexistent issues.

i got it and it was funny

Equality is a fundamental American value.

1. profile image0

Ok, lets say it's a civil right. What happens when a church doesn't want to marry two dudes? You can't deny people their civil rights, it's the law. They would have to break the law in order to follow their own doctrine. And that law would violate the first amendment of the constitution.

Red herring. Churches already establish their own standards, and regularly turn away people who want to get married but that don't meet their standards. Catholics won't marry divorced people or non-Catholics. Divorced people and non-Catholics still have plenty of other options to get a legally-recognized marriage; gay couples don't.

1. profile image0

No, polygamy is the red herring. Religious freedom is directly connected with the issue. Gay couples all over the country have already sued and won against churches for "discrimination".

For secular renting out of church property context, NEVER for a church refusing to marry them.

I'm not sure why Mormons, of all people, are so resistant to having the civil law extended to all citizens, but then again the LDS consistently lags progress, never leads it.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Actually it's not. It's a societal construct, which is an agreement between more than two parties with regards to marriage. It just happens to be illegal.

Exactly. Churches make their own rules, separate from the government's.

12. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

I've been sitting on my thoughts about this forum thread for the better part of this day. Now it's time for me to speak up and out.

To the OP, LGBT is not a noun that has an identity, it is an adjective, an acronym that describes a community. To use LGBT in the way you did supports livelonger's early comment: "This is the sort of absurd hyperbole that is actually helping speed up acceptance and approval of equality for LGBT people under the law. So, please, more."

See? LGBT describes people. There is no "The LGBT."

Please, keep posting, here and everywhere else, because your lack of intelligence and authority discredits you, your beliefs, and any cause you are involved with. Anyone with half a brain about this topic loves that.

Whew...I feel better now.

+1 lol

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+2 to you.

2. silverstararrow profile image75

Sally's Trove, I live in a country (India) where homosexuality is not openly accepted, and those who are involved in same sex relationships are forced to hide or worse try to convert themselves to be 'acceptable' members of the society. Should someone be bold enough to come out, they are directed towards psychatrists. All this is done without the backing of religion/Christianity, some sick reasoning about them not being 'normal'. Who decides on 'normal' anyway? You cannot even begin to imagine the sort of stigma prevalent here.

This is WRONG!

As if the level of discrimination based on skin colour, caste, religion, region, gender, mothertongue etc. was not enough, you have people trying to poke their noses into the personal life of others. This is actually invasion of privacy. Again, I talk of those who are against same sex relationships.

Having said that, the reason why this issue (I know that word's become taboo here, but still I'm using it as my vocabulary is too poor to think up an appropriate word without being called offensive yet agin) has been brought to the forefront is a political one (at least in the US). In the context of the USA Presidential elections, this topic has gained some serious momentum. Why should a mere political tactic be cause for such outrage?

I was merely naming the forum, not trying to demean people. Hence, I beseech you to forgive me for having used LGBT in any way that you thought was not right. If my use of those words helps speed up the process of equality (even if you mean that in a condescending sense), I have no reason to worry, and I've not once talked about cutting off anyone from society just because they live their lives in the way they wish and share it with those they love. I just hope that the blindsided people going on about the evils of being gay would shut up and get a life already.

I'd redirect you to the reply posted by prettydarkhorse (below), who understood the thought I was aiming for and she's conveyed it much better.

Also, using words like 'the', 'gay', 'issue' and 'LGBT' was strictly done in a neutral sense, not as a means to belittle anyone.

13. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

Absolutely...believe how you believe allow others to beleive as they do. It is not my place to dictate a life style to another. I certainly do not want anyone to tell me how to live.
    I believe we are all God's creations and He loves us all, not just some of us.

14. Friendlyword profile image60
    Friendlywordposted 11 years ago

It should be talked about alot!  Everyday all day!  Maybe a gay child will get away from their S$#t eating sicko "Christian" parents before they kill themselves. SILENCE=DEATH

I'm inclined to agree with you. That's why it's so important to come out and be visible. (I've been out for 22 years now! Man, I'm dating myself...)

When I was growing up, I knew no one gay, so I had nothing to counter the unrelenting wave of homophobic propaganda with. Fortunately, my parents were not bigots, but I had friends who were not so lucky.

You know what's funny?  I'm still not completely out...  Although I'm not really hiding it...  I really should sit everyone down and tell them...  I'm pretty sure they've already guessed though.

It's a little less important in the age of Will & Grace and Modern Family. (Actually, W&G was a decade ago...dating myself again.) LGBT folk aren't invisible anymore, although every decent member improves the average impression among everyone else. big_smile

+1

1. Marsei profile image91
              Marseiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just reading through and saw this.   I think it is important to be out, especially in the South.  During a very long debate on Facebookk with a friend and former student, she said:  I only know one person who is gay.  When she began making some really offensive comments on Facebook, I had looked at her friend list of 200-some-odd people.  I immediately recognized a minimum of 15 of them who are gay.  She has no clue.  They are all intelligent, articulate, kind, and generous persons. Of course, I didn't mention it, because I could see her going through, trying to figure out who's gay. I don't know if it would change her opinion, but I tend to believe it would.  All this is easy for me to say as I'm straight.  I'm sure it's tough to know you may lose friends you value by coming out, but I believe it's even more important now than ever.   I agree with Livelonger that every decent member improves the overall impression.  I also believe that every decent member ups the chances for some kid in school who's being teased and taunted.  If children have a view of "gays" as a tiny portion of society, they're more likely to torment a gay child than when that portion is not so tiny and includes their neighbor, bus driver, cafeteria worker, aunt, uncle, and so on.  The words of one of the latest teen suicides still echos in my mind:  You don't know what it's like to be hated.  The more adult gay persons who are out, the easier the path for young gays trying to survive high school, which is tough enough when you're straight.

2. profile image0

They never were invisible.  They just exercised some personal self control and didn't flaunt it in the public's face.  Sorry, but the current display isn't an improvement; it's a liberal movement akin to outright bullying.

You really have no concept of reality, do you Brenda?

Nope she's right...

I am ashamed... I flaunt my heterosexual relationship every day by going out in public obviously pregnant.

From this moment forward no pregnant woman shall ever leave the house or acknowledge her pregnancy...

Could someone avert their eyes long enough to bring me some mint-chocolate chip icecream?

Mint-chocolate chip ice-cream coming right up:) May I touch- feel baby kick? Mind you I don't think that any gays that I know would mind your bump!

ROFL...  I have gays touch my baby bump on a regular basis.  Everyone touches my baby bump!  Strangers in grocery stores... people at gas stations...  I fear that soon going to church is going to leave me exposed to rug burn smile.

And as much as this one kicks they generally go away happy!  So touch away.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Yes, people wanting to marry the person they love is bullying... roll

16. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

I think most of the people who are OPs in several forum threads about gays are   overemphasizing the issues about gays. Mostly they are intolerant and prejudiced. The rest are just trying to negate or take the bait (being on a defensive mode) which should not be the case. Those who are bigots are trained towards deductive reasoning, they have this generalized notions already and they stick to it, failing to see statements, arguments or reasons.

Phew, that is exactly what I've been trying to say for so long!  smile

You really put it clearly, prettydarkhorse.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile smile

17. noenhulk profile image59
    noenhulkposted 11 years ago

gays! I have no issue with the gays. They are fun to be with. No dull moment with them. The issue with other people is that they don't want the same sex marriage. That's their opinion anyway.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The issue with the other people is they are threatened by gays being afforded the same rights they take for granted.
      That gays marrying will demean "their" institution of marriage.
      Or their own personal marriage.

18. profile image0
    NikiiLeeReyesposted 11 years ago

Totally with it, Im happy they passed the law. What bothers me the most is that in this era of Information, why cant people have open minds and just let things be?
    We are who we are. Its saddening really, the one's who are so angry by this new movement. We are growing, manifesting every day-every year. The goal, I believe in these forums, is for people to become more accepting and aware of the fact that "Gays, Lesbians, Bi's--&Straights" are inevitably HUMAN! We all feel, eventually we all wish to settle down-so, who are we to tell other who to love?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)