Russia testing our defenses.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (40 posts)
  1. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

Here's the story:

http://freebeacon.com/putins-july-4th-message/

If you are old enough to remember having to crawl under a desk for civil defense drills, you are also old enough to know a strong defense is imperative. Do we have it?

1. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually it's both sides, whenever Russia develops a new weapon the Americans bring out a counter weapon and vice-versa like the MOAB and FOAB the fact is that in the event of world war three Russia and the US will not be on the same side because their economic interests clash, of course the Russian, Chinese and North Korean militaries would wipe the floor with the American one if it came to that so let's  hope it doesen't

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh my, Josak, what have you said?!

wink

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, maybe the Russians will take of that pesky Iran/Middle East situation for us. After all, according to Iran/Islam, Russians are infidels and must be killed or convert to Islam. I don't think the Russians would be too thrilled with either prospect...

1. Josak profile image61

I think the Russians believe in not interfering, a policy I wish the Us would stick to a bit more.

You do know the bible says the same thing right?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

We will see how Russia feels when Iran hands them an ultimatum and then drops a missile down their throat.

1. KK Trainor profile image60
              KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Something else that would never happen; the Russians support Iran in the UN every chance they get and are considered allies. They have no reason to do that.

2. KK Trainor profile image60

I'm wondering if you know that Kazakhstan was one of those countries that used to part of the Soviet Union. If so you would know that Russia will not be looking to them for any ideas on how to do things. The Kazakhs have only been independent from the USSR since 1991. Russia was the controlling coutry in the USSR so they won't need advice from any of their former dominions.

Also, you do know that Russia (Soviets) was defeated in Afghanistan long before we ever went in? They will not be getting involved in that region again because it was a great embarassment to them.

I'm being an optimist. big_smile

Also, my logic is contingent on Iran (or whoever) being stupid enough to pick a fight with them. Based on the intelligence levels I've seen so far, I consider it a distinct possibility.

JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No I think if you look at the number of times Russia has backed Iran on the idea of eliminating Israel, one can safely assume that Russia is looking into the possibility of trying to intimidate us sufficiently to keep us from coming to Israel's aid.
              Guess he hasn't been paying attention to the negative signals our President has been sending to Netanyahu concerning friendship.

3. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You realise that the US spends more on its military than any other three countries combined ?  You realise that the US military is bigger in numbers and weapons than any other three countries combined ?  You realise that the US is the only country that routinely attacks other countries ?

Only when they fly 2 airliners into our buildings...

Actually, you have a point. The U.S. has gone pre-emptive ever since the Hitler experience.

We tried isolationism before that. Didn't work...

2. recommend1 profile image60
            recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting use of 'they', as in 'they' flew two airliners into the towers, so the US attacked Iraq which was nothing to do with it.   

To elaborate on 'they' 'they' as in various US departments funded terrorists all through South America and Afghanistan (among many other places) who killed and maimed hunderds of times more people than were killed in the towers. 

I guess they count for less than your 'they' ?

2. Josak profile image61

The Us military is the second largest in the wold and the most expensive, the Chinese is the largest and the second most expensive, the North Korean is the third largest, the Russian is the fourth largest.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+++

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I remember those old days oh so well.   Yes, we need a defense system.  Putin is a crafty and insidious person who is not to be trusted at all.   That man is going to take Russia back to Communism and another Cold War.   When will it ever end!!!!

See Vladimir Putin is former KGB. He hasn't stopped that thought pattern in his mind or in his life.
        If he believes that we are weak enough.........
        And who doesn't?

1. Josak profile image61

It's important to note that Putin is anti-communist, the communist party is he second most powerfull party in Russia.

He also likes to have his enemies killed with Polonium.

Yassir?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

What nonsense. The US is surrounding Russia with military bases.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I had no idea that Russia routinely does this nonsense. One would think that even the stupidest Russian by now would have figured out that we have no interest in attacking them.

It's never been a matter of attacking them..ever. You mainly just try to keep in a position that they don't believe they can nuke you out without retaliation. That's what Reagan did to them. He drove them to bankruptcy trying to keep up with the escalation.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

And that's another thing. Why does Russia apparently have this constant desire to bomb us? We don't want to bomb them, so why do they want to bomb us? Why do they hate us so much?

And it's not just their government, but their citizenry as well.

5. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 11 years ago

Paradigm, you must be quite young if you don't know why they hate us. Ever heard of the Cold War; that was a time when it was us against them and we won in the end. Their control collapsed, followed by their government and the entire Soviet Union. Ring a bell? They blame us and always will, and there are probably a lot of Russians who would like things to be the way they were when the USSR had power and strength. Putin is basically trying to return to those days, being ex-KGB himself and refusing to concede power. Think we can trust them? That's like trusting China. We must be strong in the region because all of those former Soviet nations who are struggling to become stable are counting on us to protect them.

Japan got over it. Germany got over it. Italy got over it. The US got over it. Why can't Russia get over it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -days.html

Just for reference I found this, it's all out there...

Good link!

Is Putin going the Hitler route or the capitalism route? Time will tell... I recollect that Kazakhstan is big on capitalism; that could sway Russia towards the same. There might actually be hope here.

I'd like to see Russia, and even a Eurasian Union, get economically stronger. A prosperous country/union is hopefully a less-inclined-to-war country/union.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

If our species can't get over this world domination fetish, then WW III is inevitable...

7. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I think some gov't leaders should get committed if decisions are based on just their ego's, paranoia, fear tongue or at least assessed by a dr lol

8. cameciob profile image80
    cameciobposted 11 years ago

It is the fight for supremacy, power, and who's the boss and I control that and you don't. As it always has been.
    The hate comes from propaganda that indoctrinate the simple citizens.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60

I'm outnumbered here. Paradigmsearch circles the wagons... lol

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

And while I'm at it, here's a note to China:

Why don't you guys invade North Korea and decimate that psychotic regime. Then give it as a gift to South Korea. The once-again united Korea would be your friend and ally forever. Not to mention the fact that you would be a true international hero.

1. Josak profile image61

A few reasons #1 North Korea is an ally, #2 North Korea has nukes #3 North Korea has the third largest military in the world #4 Their people re fanatical as all hell and will never surrender #5 In all likelihood it would turn into a bloody guerrilla conflict of the type no military wants to be embroiled in #6 The Chinese in recent years have also kept to themselves militarily.

Yes, anyone ever heard about that conflict between Japan and China a while back? Same deal here I would guess, very nasty and lots of death. I wonder sometimes if anyone knows anything about history anymore...it wasn't that long ago!

11. paradigmsearch profile image60

If I had known it was this easy to solve all the world's problems, I'd have done it a lot sooner. big_smile

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

This political thread sure beats the religion threads.

A. No fanaticism.

B. Fun and interesting.

C. Has actually been educational.

D. People are actually willing to change their minds about something when given information that is new to them.

E. Nobody has been abusive towards anybody else.

smile smile smile

It can happen.

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

I just saw a news blurb about Russia selling arms to Syria.

Paradigmsearch gives up on Russia and throws in the towel.

Oh, well. The fantasy was fun while it lasted. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)