How to Get a High HubberScore

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

A lot of people (especially new Hubbers) ask about raising your HubberScore, keeping it high, or arriving at a score of 100. What are the ingredients? Are there any secret formulae that, when followed closely, can help you achieve and maintain a high score? Well, there is a formula, but first, let's look at some common questions.

Do you need to write Hubs that attract a lot of traffic? No.
    Do your Hubs need to be pretty? No.
    Do you need to use a variety of different capsules? No.
    Do your Hubs need images and videos? No.
    Do they need to receive a lot of comments? No.
    Do you have to get a lot of people to follow you? No.

Obviously, we all want and should strive for all of the above, but they have nothing to do with how high our HubberScore will be. Then what does?

Accolade. To get a high score, get good-quality accolades. This is done by being active in the Community in all ways.

Write Hubs frequently and with good spelling, grammar, and word count.
    Read and comment on other people's Hubs.
    Ask and answer questions.
    Start forum threads and engage in discussions.

I'm not saying this is the only way. Far from it. I'm only saying this is something that works if you urgently need a good score. Also, I think it's helpful to address these specific questions so that people can have less misconceptions about HubberScore.

Please, add your opinion and personal experience.

1. kellyteam profile image61
      kellyteamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you hit it right on. My score has been moving up and basically I have become more active in community activities. I recently recieved 2 accolades as well. So your answer to me is right on target.  Thanks.

Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats and Happy Hubbing! smile

2. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I"m having issues with my Hubber score. I'm active, ask and answer questions. I read, vote on and comment on a lot of Hubs. My Hubber score, however, has never gone over 93, and it's only been there for a little bit. Do you have any other advice?

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Who CARES?

As long as it's over 75 you get dofollow links (which don't even mean anything unless you're promoting another website.)

Score is pointless - it's only there to try and control spammers. Ignore it smile

1. profile image0
          jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"likes" this!

2. SincerelyT profile image60
          SincerelyTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't really matter in my opinion.

2. Haunty profile image74

I've often been at 99, but never at 100 (that I know of.) So I wonder if there is a specific aspect to my activity or Hubs that limits my score. Unfortunately, I don't know, but there are a few things that I noticed.

High-scoring Hubbers have a larger number of Hubs in the 90s and upper 80s.

It is way easier to reach higher scores as a "seasoned" Hubber with years of Hubbing behind you.

Although, scores fluctuate a lot, they are also sort of permanent, meaning once you reached a higher tier it's pretty hard to fall out of it.

I can see that you are very active and have plenty of accolades to show for it. The only advice I can think of is to keep this up if you enjoy doing it and the score should come in time.

1. sharkfacts profile image87
          sharkfactsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mu hubberscore is not especially high, yet at the time of writing this I have 2 x 100 score hubs, and another 11 that score 90 or above.
          Not bad out of a total of 27 hubs.
          Hubberscore remains a mystery...

That's amazing! So now we know that even individual HubScores have little bearing on your overall score.

Yours is a curious example with all those high-scoring Hubs and relatively high traffic levels. I wonder if that has anything to do with your specializing in just one niche.

I know that consistently high traffic to a Hub will easily elevate its score into the upper 90s, so that makes sense, btw.

1. sharkfacts profile image87
              sharkfactsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Strangely enough, the high scoring hubs are not necessarily the highest trafficked.

I know someone else who gets 10 times the views I get, and whose hubberscore remains relatively low. In fact, she panics when it rises, as her earnings correspondingly drops.

Hubberscore is best ignored as it correlates to neither traffic nor earnings, as far as I can see.

On my main name I have had 100 hubscores, and indeed 100 hubberscores, and neither related to traffic/earnings.

It's still a mystery...

2. brakel2 profile image73
            brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on your high hub scores. You're movin' on up  Amazing writing!

3. Francescad profile image83
      Francescadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a new Hubber, I'm all ears! Thanks for the advice.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

I've found if you write 5 hubs and then ignore the account for 2 weeks, it will go over 75. It really doesn't require much.

Nice to know, considering I've seen a lot of people suggest waiting months before that can happen. Often ignoring is even better than participation. If you are a spammer, that is. If you contribute a lot of unapproved comments, your score will never go over 74.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

My score ranges from 88-94, and I still achieve payouts.  As for accolades, they are worthless outside of HubPages.  There is no way I could impress an editor or a publisher by saying, "Yes, and I do have a high Hubber score and keep my accolades up while at HubPages."  These stats will not get me a writing job.  I do not have my accolades available for viewing.  What HubPages gives in accolades, they can just as equally taketh away.  I am retired and don't spend any time chasing a high Hubber score or tending to my accolades.  They have nothing to do with making money.  I reached as high as Commenter 8 level, but once I took a month off from the writing, the score dropped to Commenter 7.  Go figure.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The commenter one is based on the last 9 months only, from memory.

1. profile image0

I agree with Arlene; however, to achieve a level 8 commenter accolade you have to do some serious commenting.  I think once you have done so; they shouldn't start docking you in the event you don't comment as often.  Just my opinion, they take the HOTD away, or any others do they?

1. profile image0

I meant "don't take away"

4. beachgoer4ever profile image60
    beachgoer4everposted 11 years ago

Looking for all advice, as a new hubber. Thanks for the tips!

1. Francescad profile image83
      Francescadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too!!

5. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the information about hub score. I enjoy being here, exchanging views with people all around the globe and learning so much in the process. I especially enjoy the question-answer section. I have observed, being active and inter active increases your hub score.

6. MyWebs profile image77
    MyWebsposted 11 years ago

My hubber score is typically between the high 80's and 95. Here lately it's been staying closer to 95. I have many of the accolades, but some come and go depending on how active I've been recently. I have never published hubs on a regular basis, except for when I first started here about 2 years ago. So I don't think that is a very big part of their secret sauce.

It's nice to have a high hubber score and I'd love to see it hit 100 one day. But I know it's meaningless really. As long as it stays above 75 I don't care so much. A score above 75 is very easy to maintain in my experience.

7. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 11 years ago

It's a bit of a mystery to me still. It really doesn't matter. Besides, your hubber score is not shown on your hubs anymore, only in the forums and hub listings, as far as I know.

I've been here 2 1/2 years, and reached 100 several times, and yet I haven't done anything special. I've only got 39 hubs published. My participation in the forums is spotty at best. I don't make that many comments, though I try to add something useful to the conversation each time. I also try to answer all comments on my hubs.

Perhaps it's because my hubs are varied in subject matter, are fairly well written, and many of them (12 or so) are viewed 150 times a week, each. My score hasn't fallen below 90 after about 8 months here.

It's a bit of a mystery to me still.

8. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

I used to worry about my score escalating up amd then back down and up again.  I made a decision to concentrate on just writing good content and adding as many of my own photos as I can. Along with that I am beginning to participate more in forums and increase my hubs. I spend alot of time reading and commenting on other hubs.

9. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I, too used to worry about my hubber score, up and down. I´m almost 2 years here so I´m a bit relax now about this and concentrate on writing and looking for a great topic I can write. Of course I answer every comments I get and participate in forum. I spent most of my hours reading and commenting on hubs that I like.

10. profile image0

LOL!  Jen, I could stand on my head and participate in Forums and comment my life away.  I have not earned anything over a 94 in the 13 months I've been here.  And when I reached the #8 position and had it busted down to a #7?  I'm not going to kid myself.  Accolades and Hubscores are only a way to get Hubbers to write.  But at the same time, it can backfire.  Some Hubbers get so wrapped up in those scores that the last thing they'll do is write!  It took a very long time for me to make all those comments for a score of #8 Commentator.  Sooooooo, if HubPages can just as easily snatch it away, I'm not playing.  If my scores dump, they can dump.  I'm done playing the Hubscore/Allocade game for these little, useless cyber prizes .  I just write when I feel like it.  Sometimes, not even then!

11. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

Well, it's obvious that you guys care about scores and stuff, otherwise why would you talk and comment so much about them? If you really didn't care, you would simply skip this thread when skimming the forums. wink

1. profile image0

Well Haunty, You did ask to give opinions and personal experience on the matter.....IT would not be a well-rounded discussion if all opinions or experience were not spoke of.

I did ask. Thank you for your opinion! smile

What you quoted here I said to Arlene, and I meant that if someone doesn't care about the topic, they don't click on this thread at all, which means that they don't even see my asking for opinions.

I guess I will just come out and say what I really meant by this thread. HubberScore does not reflect quality and HubPages should change the way it's calculated. In my opinion, a good indication of this is the fact that there are ways to achieve high scores without writing Hubs that live up to HubPages quality standards, one of them being incessant commenting and participation in forums and Q&As.

12. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I have 36 hubs with quite a few in high 80s and 90s. I participate pretty well, and my score has been in 90s for some time. I agree with the poster on this issue.

13. aware profile image67
    awareposted 11 years ago

For me 90 and above are unfavorable  scores .

14. profile image0

Nope.  That's where you're dead wrong, Haunty.  Don't ASSume anything.  This thread contains fair warning for the new Hubbers:  Don't ever get suckered into thinking that Hubscores, Accolades, and Followers will make you money.  They don't!

lol Would you be so kind as to point out where in my post I suggested such a thing? Also, where did you give that warning? I can't see it.

2. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is true about the money. All these scores will not make money. However, it does give pleasure to some to have good hubscores and other amenities. I wrote an article that took a lot of research, and it does have a good score. It makes me feel good to have a lot of comments on it, and I am proud of that article. It may never make me a lot of money, but I learned a lot. It nurtured my brain, and to me, that is important.

15. aware profile image67
    awareposted 11 years ago

lol unfavorable .  acquaint yourselves with the word.

16. aware profile image67
    awareposted 11 years ago

ill beat a man to death with a misspelled word.
    and score in the low 60s

17. muiomuio profile image60
    muiomuioposted 11 years ago

Although I've been a member of hubpages for over 4 years I only gained interest in them a few months ago. One of the main reasons I never got involved on hubpages was the scores.

I noticed they are not immediate and that there are several factors to getting a good score. Meanwhile, I have a doubt, what benefits does a score of 100 has in comparison to a 90 or 80 score of a hub?

18. posts profile image72
    postsposted 11 years ago

I am active in hubpages for only 5 months and hitherto published 5 hubs having a page views of more than 1k. I am not engaged in hubforums, blogs and i rarely comment on others hubs. I am normally focusing in creating unique and quality hubs. I don't know the exact metrics of how a hubberscore is calculated but i see the only difference is the link attribute variation (nofollow or dofollow)  if you are using hubpages for promoting your online business.

19. atotsm profile image62
    atotsmposted 11 years ago

Isn't it a little bit sad that the things that you mention here are not from influence?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)