Are soldiers heroes?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. johnb0127 profile image62
    johnb0127posted 14 years ago

On facebook, there is a group called 'soldiers are not heroes' and then there is another group 'petition to remove 'soldiers are not heroes' from facebook.  This got me thinking....

I support the troops.  I believe that they are over there protecting this great nation from another September 11.  They are over there countless times fighting for our freedom!!

I joined the petition group, duh.  I want to see what other people think.  Please post what group you would join and why

--John

1. chukra G profile image61
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NOT AT ALL. smile
      because the war you fighting now might be the stupidest things in future.

1. nicomp profile image61
        nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We don't judge current behavior by what might happen in the future.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We can use history as a reasonable predictor though.

2. profile image0
        dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont think the question was about the war. thats a whole different issue. the question is aobut supporting the people ther. I would be on the side of the soldiers. No matter what you think about the war, those men and women are risking thier lives for a situation that is here, like it or not.

2. johnb0127 profile image62
    johnb0127posted 14 years ago

How so?

1. chukra G profile image61
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

simple the, for the object/subject you are fighting for now, will not be as much important as is it now soon. everybody aware of it, but ego of the leader.

1. johnb0127 profile image62
        johnb0127posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can barely understand what your saying.  Is what your saying that the war we are fighting now is not worth it?

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Hi John, I saw that petition too. dont know who initiated the petition but I didn't join. Our military are heroes when they are protecting the people from harm, promoting equality and helping others rebuild, so yes, they are Heroes. smile

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I don't want to open a can of worms but the term hero has been overused in our society today. When a soldier does something over and above the line of duty that makes him a hero; you are not a hero just because you are in the military. They are courageous and should be supported, but they are not all heroes.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more.

As with any other large group or organization the military no doubt contains its fair share of nasty shits and twisted scumbags, those that join the military for reasons other than to protect those they love.  Being a soldier is a job, but if that soldier acts heroically whilst performing that job, then they become a hero.

* And no, acting heroically does not necessarily involve being blown to pieces, bad people can be blown to pieces too.

2. nicomp profile image61

What's over and above? If a firefighter runs into a burning house and saves a child, we could say they are doing what they are trained to to, therefore it's not over and above. I'd still consider that behavior heroic.

5. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

they would become heroes if they were blown to pieces?????

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I think the reasons they believe they are fighting for are an Individuals choice ( and to some extent a country's culture) and far be it for me to judge.

I wanted to add to Brenda's comment too , I understand where your coming from, to die a hero might seem like an honor but any grieving family will tell you if they had a choice it wouldnt be honor they would choose ,it would be their beloved alive!

I guess being called a hero somehow acknowledges the death wasnt in vain,unlike the bad guy who has lost the will to be good, or care too much about consequences. So soldiers dying are called 'heros' and bad guys dying are called 'dead'

7. BundleBoy profile image70
    BundleBoyposted 14 years ago

There is no question, They are HEROES!

They might be fighting a stupid war or a wise war (what ever that means), the decision to go to the battle field is not theirs. To put your life on line for some one else s - That's got to be a HERO!

I just don't agree that all soldiers ARE putting their lives on the line for others, joining the military is a career path, bringing benefits and financial gain.  In my opinion soldiers often do what they're told to do, right or wrong, e.g. The Chinese soldiers that slaughtered many thousands of innocents at the order of Chairman Mao during his reign were still Soldiers, were they heroes?  What about the American soldiers who 'supposedly' raped Vietnamese women left right and center, heroes?  The soldier that goes against his orders in order to do the right thing, now that man would be a hero to me.

1. BundleBoy profile image70
        BundleBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think people who choose to become soldiers know the risk yet take the option. Military might have a financial gain and other benefits but not all of us want to become a soldier? Do we. As a soldier you are at a higher risk of dying in your job.
        The first thing Soldiers are told is about discipline and to take orders. Imagine every soldier thinking morally and making decisions for them selves. That would be disastrous (there would be no army). It is like a knife - you decide if you want to use it to cut vegetable, fruits or you want to stab someone. I am not defending soldiers who did wrong deeds nor claim them as heroes but the rest of them, to me are!

8. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Is the validity of the war the measure by which you judge the men and women who fight it?

who ya talking too?

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whomever.

9. countrywomen profile image59
    countrywomenposted 14 years ago

On a lighter note my husband loves "Heroes" episodes(and even I end up watching it). I guess if some of these "heroes"/soldiers were able to go into the future(like the Japanese guy in the "heroes" who travels back/forth in time/space) and realize that they were being lied about the WMD then how many would have still put there lives at risk for those lies?

My sons love that programme too, my youngest (almost 18yrs) commented , everyone thinks they are all fighting for the right reasons dont they mum ,and he's right , every country has their own hero's. Mines at work right now smile

1. countrywomen profile image59
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it is true isn't it one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. smile

A freedom fighter generally attacks military targets. A terrorist generally attacks people who cannot defend themselves.

1. tksensei profile image59

And there you go.

2. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just proved the thesis - their freedom fighters (and yes, they call them freedom fighters) are your terrorists. smile

On a serious note, I tend to agree to CW-girl point of view, too many times I saw in my life certain people and organizations moving back and forth from freedom fighters to terrorists, depending on who tells the story or when the story is told...

Perhaps you didn't read my thesis. I pointed out a functional difference between the two groups.

My guess would be that he did read it, I certainly don't buy it.

2. tksensei profile image59

No, it is not.

10. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Going off the topic, no?

11. Eaglekiwi profile image74

No TK we are multi-tasking smile
    do continue

1. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oops Sorry for digressing. I hate to be the party spoiler.

12. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Of course soldiers are heroes, if it wasn't for our military here in the U.S. we would not be able to live how we live today. Without them we would not exist. smile I am proud of our soldiers and shame on the people who are trying to have it removed from facebook.sad

'Of course soldiers are heroes' - Whose soldiers?  When I read statements like that I always feel that something is missing and it should read more like this:

'Of Course 'American' soldiers are heroes'.

But I guess that's just me.

13. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

no they are more than that.

14. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Do you think it might depend on whose side your on MrV smile

I certainly do, and I certainly didn't mean that 'Of course Amercian soldiers are heroes' is what I was thinking, but felt that's what those making those kind of statements wanted to say, as you and others have pointed out above, even terrorists are soldiers of another side.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)