Where In The World ... ?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I know we have half a dozen Aussie/Kiwi Hubbers amongst the regulars, plus lots of Americans and Canadians.

Who here is British?

Anyone here from Sweden, Norway, or Denmark?

Malaysia? (I know there's at least one from Indonesia).

Who is from a non-English-speaking country, and learned English as a second language later in life?

While all the American Hubbers are driving themselves to exhaustion trying to turn out 10 Hubs a day for this competition, let's find out where everyone else is from.

Jenny

P.S. I'm one of the Aussies.

1. Sylvia Page profile image60
      Sylvia Pageposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi everyone I am from Sri Lanka. We are a multi-cultural society and predominantly Sinhalese.

Languages: Sinhala 74% (official and national), Tamil 18% (national), other 8%; English is commonly used in government and spoken competently by about 10%
      Ethnicity/race: Sinhalese 73.8%, Sri Lankan Moors 7.2%, Indian Tamil 4.6%, Sri Lankan Tamil 3.9%, other 0.5%, unspecified 10% (2001)
      Religions: Buddhist 70%, Islam 8%, Hindu 7%, Christian 6% (2001)
      Literacy rate: 92% (2003 est.)

I belong to the other 0.5%. My great grand parents were German and settled in this beautiful island some where in the 1800s. Therefore, I might say that I am of mixed parentage and multicultural, and so is my husband whose many greats ago was British and mother the daughter of an Irishman (from two knighted families) who settled here to grow coffee and ended up growing thousands of acres of tea.
      English was the language spoken in our homes. Therefore I consider my mother tongue being English. I was educated in a convent in English with Sinhalese as a second language. All that changed when the Government took over the schools and made Sinhalese the official language. Tamil and English were made the second and third languages. This change created a bit of turmoil and today we have to deal with terrorism, mostly in the North and East.

English is now coming back as a link language and is used widely in commercial establishments.

I live close to the Administrative Capital in the Western Province. It was once a very peaceful and sleepy countryside and now with urbanization has got a little too crowded to my taste.

I see a great bunch of you here having a lively interaction and hope that I could share some of that comardarie. smile

2. Carolina Crete profile image67
      Carolina Creteposted 16 years agoin reply to this

G'Day wink

I'm British, from near Manchester & live in Greece, Greek husband and 'more than half' Greek kids - they were brought up in Greece!

2. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

You probably would have guessed that I am from Scotland lol.....jimmy

3. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Well, I'm one of the crazy Americans.  But I crashed your party anyway.

4. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

I'm that super pms'y crazy Americanish chick.. can I come?  I'll bring popcorn and my puppy...

a party may help me have a better day.

5. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

I'm a half and halfer. I have dual Aussie and Canadian citizenship. Grew up in Oz and now live in the frozen north (well, rainy north at the moment.)
    But I'm a wanderer at heart and lived on the road for years in different parts of the world. My tent was my home.....those were the days......

http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/foto.gif

http://www.freewebby.com/beer-food-sick-smilies/pop.gif
    Popcorn for you Gamergirl and Stacie.....Now where's the puppy? (I love party crashers.)

Oh yeah and my name's Rachelle smile

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Umm, well, I thought I cleared that up when I placed this info in my profile big_smile

I'm a Russian citizen living in US. Yes, I am that case with ESL, and that greatly complicates me working for American market.

But - it is still fun to hang out with you folks here smile

7. Inspirepub profile image73

I should fess up to being a US citizen as well as an Australian citizen, I suppose.

You Americans can party in this thread, too - especially since you come bringing coffee, Stacie ...

Jenny

P.S. And then I married an Englishman, so between us we can live and work in Australia, New Zealand, The US, Canada, or anywhere in the EU. We're in Australia because of the climate! And the hours of daylight in winter. I have no idea how you stay sane, RFox!

8. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Seattle coffee.

9. gamergirl profile image86

Seattle's Best, Stacie?  Don't let me down!!

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

More like the best of Seattle coffee.

10. College politico profile image58
    College politicoposted 16 years ago

I'm from the great state of Pa (thats Pennsylvania to everybody else). I think we are the only people who refer to their state by its initials. Do any other states do that?

11. Kenny Wordsmith profile image75
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

I'm from and in India, but English was my first language at school.

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ahhhh India.....I can't wait to go back! big_smile

1. Kenny Wordsmith profile image75
        Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Welcome! A lot of  pictures await your coming! smile

1. profile image0
          RFoxposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kenny big_smile I'm in the process of developing my adventure travel photography company just so I'll have an excuse to go to India twice a year every year.....oh yeah! wink

12. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

Wait, who said I was sane? That's a dirty, rotten lie.....Say that to my face and I'll feed you to my polar bear.....his name his Fluffy.......grrrrrrr

http://uremicons.com/index.php/d/3709-2/polar-bear.gif

13. Kenny Wordsmith profile image75
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

What a creative excuse! Wonderful!
    Then I'm like you. I am using my love of Wodehouse as an excuse to visit Shropshire and London this year! wink
    Cheers! big_smile

14. kellyfilmgirl profile image59
    kellyfilmgirlposted 16 years ago

I'm from the South. Some Americans consider us foreigners because of our funny accents. Does that count? :p

1. College politico profile image58
      College politicoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Where in the south?

1. kellyfilmgirl profile image59
        kellyfilmgirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Tennessee. smile

1. College politico profile image58
          College politicoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I really want to visit the south sometime and I think Tennessee would be a major stop on that visit

1. kellyfilmgirl profile image59
            kellyfilmgirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You should. It's a beautiful state. Especially East Tennessee.

I disagree about Nashville. It has some very beautiful places. Especially around Franklin. GORGEOUS places. That's where all the fancy schmancy country music stars live.

I should make a lens with some of my photography from the area sometime. smile

Visit when the leaves are turning. It's amazing. Spring is also very nice, but it's also hayfever city. tongue

1. Greg from Maine profile image61
              Greg from Maineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That would be very interesting. I'd enjoy seeing the photos...

2. profile image0
      daflaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Kelly, did you know that crisis counselors are taught to talk in a Southern accent because it's calming?  I'm from the south too, born and raised.  It's nice to find another G.R.I.T.S. here.

15. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Texas, baby.  But my wife graduated from Belmont in Nashville, TN.  It's a beautiful place.  Worth the trip.

16. gamergirl profile image86

I lived in Nashville for 10 years.  It's a pothole in the center of the state, really.

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't go that far.  I loved the area around Vandy & Belmont.  It felt like Austin to me.

17. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

I live in Oregon.  But I can't bring myself to say I'm an Oregonian.  Born and raised in the Seattle area and lived there for 36-37 years.

18. gamergirl profile image86

Aww.

Down here in NC it's hard to find Seattle's Best.  Stores carry it, but run out of it fast.

19. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Okay okay...for you.  But, you will have to try other kinds.  You might find they are better.

20. gamergirl profile image86

Oh, I have no doubt.

I'm still working my way toward normal roasts as opposed to flavored coffee, I'm still acquiring that taste.

Espresso plus white chocolate syrup is just so good, though!

21. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

I was always partial to Zoka, when I lived in Seattle.  In the Bay Area, Blue Bottle Coffee is among the best.  Blue Bottle will ship fresh roasted beans anywhere in the U.S., but they aren't cheap.  Unfortunately we've usually only got cheap Costco beans here at HubPages, although we do have a nice industrial size coffee maker and grinder.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I love Zoka.  In fact, some of my hubs are written while I'm sitting in their coffee shop near U-Village.

22. Bob Ewing profile image64
    Bob Ewingposted 16 years ago

Northern New Brunswick, Canada, snowbound and minus 15 C today but the sun is shining.

The Best Coffee

23. funride profile image69
    funrideposted 16 years ago

Well, I´m from Portugal http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/6/6_15_22.gif (a non-English-speaking country) and portuguese is my first language. I´m here to train my english wrinting and to party with all you crazy mates http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_11_14.gif! lol

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_10_25.gif

1. Inspirepub profile image73
      Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

oooooh, an Aussie smilie!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi!

Jenny

2. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Oi way is this thread full of Americans - go away yanks this is an foreigners thread :-)
      Hi funride -your English is a whole lot better than my Portugese - I have just started learning Portugases as the mineral exploration company I am working for in Australia is doing a lot of work in Brazil! The pronouciation is bizarre - I know some spanish so I have the pronounceation is all mixed up now - though I can recognise the vocab and grammar quite well! Bom Dia

1. funride profile image69
        funrideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I´m so glad you liked it wink

Here are some more just for you:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_144_13.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_144_14.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_144_12.gif

Boa tarde Lissie, como estás? wink

If you ever need help with your portuguese I´ll be very happy to help you!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_109p.gif

24. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

I spent my first 15 years in Yonkers, N.Y., USA, then moved with my family to Connecticut. I moved back to New York (Long Island) about two years ago. It's nice to communicate with folks from around the world.

25. The Indexer profile image82
    The Indexerposted 16 years ago

Greetings! I'm from the UK, about as close to the middle of England as you can get. I live close to the site of the battlefield where Henry VII defeated Richard III in 1485. Visit my hubs and you can see some photos taken not far from home.

As for coffee, I don't understand it!  Since Starbucks and Nero turned up, we've all had to stop asking for "white" or "black" and learn strange language like "skinny latte", whatever that is. Apparently what I think of as coffee is called "Americano" for some reason!

I think I'll stick to tea, which is much nicer anyway!

1. Sylvia Page profile image60
      Sylvia Pageposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I love my coffee too. If you love tea then you must have ours...best in the world comes only from Sri Lanka! smile

26. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

Yes, I have my cuppa tea every morning. I miss REAL Tetley tea. It is not the same product in Canada.
    As for coffee.......Italians are the best (in my opinion)....how can you go past Illy....it's so smooth and flavorful.
    http://uremicons.com/index.php/d/1997-2/doggy.gif

27. gamergirl profile image86

Austin is much prettier than Nashville, on the whole.  I promise you, I spent a looooot of time downtown in Nashville, and unless you were in the Vandy area, or in the higher income areas, it's not really -THAT- pretty.  The buildings are nice, but the streets are dirty, there are a lot of homeless folk, and the air is yucky.  People are all-in-all pretty friendly, though. smile

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

I will take your word for that, I must confess during my 4-5 trips I rarely left the Vandy or touristy areas. 

I will say this, the people in Austin are friendlier, as best I can tell.  But, I'm partial.

28. ripplemaker profile image78
    ripplemakerposted 16 years ago

I'm from Cebu, Philippines.  It's 'crazy' out here with the variety of dialects and languages. But our medium of instruction in school was English.  I'm Filipino-Chinese --my ancestors were from China.  I wonder if there are other hubbers from where I come from.  sad  Hellllooooooo

29. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 16 years ago

Goodday Inspirehub..
    .i was trying a very lame Aussie accent:D
    Im from London and used to live in Earlscourt (UK) and the pubs i used to go in there were the closest ive been to Australia lol

30. Inspirepub profile image73

I'm touched, Compu-Smart!

For future reference, it's "G'Day" ... but we make allowances for you Pommie types anyway  ...

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_11_14.gif

Jenny

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Crikey & struth!!

I remember now..

G.day 2u2;)

31. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

British here smile Live in France though. Can't stand the weather, the CCTV cameras and the complaints - Miss the beer though. No one makes beer like the English - we can't make a cup of coffee if our lives depended on it, but beer, that's another story......

1. Carolina Crete profile image67
      Carolina Creteposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, yes and yes. Couldn't care less about the beer though wink

Agree about the coffee too ... yuuck. Someone mentioned Illy - fantastico coffee. I'm intrigued about Seattle coffee, what's that all about??

32. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

I'm half American, half Canadian.  I've lived in Britain.  As you can imagine, my spelling is rather confused.

33. Inspirepub profile image73

I have slowly been worn away by writing for an international audience, and I now find myself leaving out "u" in deference to my American readers. I still can't bring myself to use bastardised spellings like "jewelry", though!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)