CHALLENGE to Atheists: How did the Egyptians build the Great Pyramids?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (308 posts)
  1. Ciax profile image57
    Ciaxposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7333383_f248.jpg
    How did they do this over 5000 years ago without the invention of the wheel, according to scientists?

Why do we find perfectly cut granite rectangles, which could only be cut by diamonds, that weigh about 1,500 tons that are around 2000 years old, when it would take 21 heavy duty cranes to lift this block today? Who did this and how did they do it?

1. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

why would these cuts have to have been made with diamonds?the blocks were moved using poles to roll them on and ramps were constructed to reach the pyramid as it got higher. it's already been pretty much proven how they were made. next question.

1. Ciax profile image57
        Ciaxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Constructing the Great Pyramids in you imagination, that is. Not even the most powerful crane of today can lift the heaviest block to that height.

We are talking about how it were 4000 years ago.

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
          Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you go research this subject instead of coming up with rediculous assumptions and wasting forum space.

1. Ciax profile image57

As you are frustrated because you don't know the answer.

I'm not fustrated at all, just amused. It's obvious you don't have an answer even though it's easy to find out. Be sure to get it from a credable source, HINT: The Bible is NOT a credable source.

1. Ciax profile image57

It seems you are more frustrated now.

1. GERALD-710 profile image61
                  GERALD-710posted 11 years agoin reply to this

To start with,how is this a challenge to the Atheists???If you are trying to drag in the Bible her ,Last I checked the Egyptians had over 400 gods in that era(Every town had its own)in addition to the likes of anubis,Ra and Orsis. So please.Do not drag Christianity into this.
                  You do know that Egyptians were some of the greatest scientists of all time an THEY WEREN'T CHRISTIANS at the time they built the Pyramids.They used Science,not Religion to build those Pyramids You Troll

1. eternals3ptember profile image60
                    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bro, bro.... Bro... Chill...

2. emilgen2011 profile image59
                emilgen2011posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really? I think otherwise Sir Wingert...

People were made to believe that the world was flat during the ancient times... But the bible, 600 BC ago said in Genesis, the world was spherical and hangs in the space...

Fascinating isn't it! Do you want more refutation? I'll give you some more, once you give a list of "credible references" to vouch your claim that the bible is not "credible."

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
                  Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I take it you have not actually bothered to read this book?

The bible does not say the Earth is "spherical."

lol

1. emilgen2011 profile image59

Lelz glad you showed up again... Sir...

the Biblical Hebrew word for “circle” (חוג—chuwg) can also mean “round” or “sphere." Now this will make you frustrated even more...

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image61
              Vladimir Uhriposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ciax, I like your reply. smile.
              When I wrote the book about Job, I found and interesting information. Apparently Job was an Engineer and he helped build of great pyramid. However in his book he did not give us an information since he was dealing in other important matters. He becomes sick, poor and lost his children. *** There are also two references in the Bible that the earth is round. Neither science nor church paid attention to it. 
              BTW I would like to see this pyramid created in modern time.

Where does it say the earth is round?

2. profile image0
                Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find it amusing when Christians say that the bible always said the earth was round and science didn't believe it and it took a few thousand years for science to catch up. It's funny because a scientist making such a statement would have to face an inquisition and could have been put to death if he didn't publicly announce his errors. Plus nowhere in the bible is the earth described as a sphere. I think it may be described as round, but something round is flat. A round carpet or piece of paper is round. A ball is a sphere, but go ahead and keep spreading your indoctrinated delusions.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've seen three or four documentaries where they recreated the process.

Certainly, dressing the blocks and getting them into place would have been extremely time-consuming and challenging, but researchers have managed to do it without modern machinery, so the Egyptians could have done it too - and they had thousands of workers and a much longer-term outlook than we had.

I suspect the Egyptians would be offended at you trying to suggest the Pyramids don't really belong to them.

1. Ciax profile image57

It's easier to rebuild them in a 3D software, and then televise the rendering on the Discovery channel.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Pardon?  Are you suggesting that all these researchers faked their results?  In the documentaries I'm referring to, I saw real people sweating and grunting while they chipped away at blocks and heaved them around.  Not 3D renderings.

1. Ciax profile image57

Did you make that question while you were watching those documentaries, or afterwards?

2. Ciax profile image57

What tools were they using? Could they replicate the level of perfection that Egyptians achieved? And did they take a 10 tons stone to 150 meter using those tools?

Mystery solved! Thanks television!

2. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's a thing called "Google" for questions like this... Also, are you implying that the Egyptian gods must have built them?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 104302.htm

1. Ciax profile image57

Thanks for quoting your personal intelligence.

2. Dustin Staples profile image60
        Dustin Staplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You capture both my thoughts on this question perfectly Peelander.
        Ciax: this isn't a question of personal intelligence, it's a questions of knowing what recourses to use for a history lesson.

1. Arox profile image58
          Aroxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's great that you have provided the answer. Did you, really?

1. Dustin Staples profile image60

There's not one accepted answer to this question. There's speculation and probability, but all probabilities point towards human ingenuity, rather than divine intervention.

1. Arox profile image58

The correct word is 'supernatural' and not 'divine'. Besides, it doesn't have to be human ingenuity.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7362686_f248.jpg

http://www.starchildproject.com/dna1999-2003.htm

1. Dustin Staples profile image60

Those words are interchangeable -- check out a dictionary. I already said it doesn't 'have' to be. Do you know what a probability is??

1. Ultimater profile image57
                  Ultimaterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are not.

2. profile image0

It doesn't have to be human ingenuity? It doesn't? Clearly humans are the only animal on this planet that is capable of pyramid level of ingenuity. So yes, give your fellow humans credit where it's due. The pyramids are a result of human ingenuity and hard labour. Do you really think aliens or supernatural being came to earth to build monuments to the life of just a few humans and then disappear without a trace?

The Starchild skull is an abnormal human skull allegedly found in Mexico that is claimed to be the product of extraterrestrial-human breeding or genetic manipulation. Tests conducted utilizing mtDNA recovered from the skull have established it as human. Experts believe it to be the skull of a child who died as a result of known genetic or congenital abnormalities, such as congenital hydrocephalus.

"While the physical anomalies obvious in the Starchild Skull are very impressive, only DNA results can absolutely prove that it is other than human.

Early DNA tests were unable to successfully recover DNA from the Starchild's father, leading to the suggestion that the Skull was a human-alien hybrid. However, the most recent tests have uncovered DNA so different from human that the working theory is now at minimum it is a new species, and very likely it is an alien species of extraterrestrial origin."

http://www.starchildproject.com/dna2012.htm

(The possibility of hydrocephalus was ruled out of the equation years ago.)

1. profile image0

Please go to a unbiased site to get your information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starchild_skull

The Starchild skull is an abnormal human skull allegedly found in Mexico that is claimed to be the product of extraterrestrial-human breeding or genetic manipulation. Tests conducted utilizing mtDNA recovered from the skull have established it as human. Experts believe it to be the skull of a child who died as a result of known genetic or congenital abnormalities, such as congenital hydrocephalus.

3. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's a pretty good explanatory article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/eg … d_01.shtml

There are still a few unknowns but the methods used are now fairly well understood.

1. Ciax profile image57

Too bad you are twisting facts. No one has a clue how it was actually constructed. They have only hypotheses, and even those hypotheses are incomplete.

Here are the opening lines of that article-

"The recent robotic explorations of the 'air-shafts' in the Great Pyramid have demonstrated that there are still many mysteries surrounding the ancient monument. Ian Shaw discusses the debate around the building of the great structure and investigates the methods used in its construction."

Did you say few?

1. Paraglider profile image88

It's a documentary-style article that thrives on some mystery, but the fact remains that the construction methods are pretty well understood.

But if you've got an alternative explanation, let's hear it.

1. Ciax profile image57

Don't escape too far. You said few, but there are actually many unknowns. The hypotheses that are presented as how the Great Pyramids were built, are all flawed.

Not even the good ones can hypothetically complete the structure, let alone explain it with practical implications.

If one interconnects the weight of the stones with the tools that Egyptians had 4000 years ago, and considers the height of the structures - it becomes immediately clear that the Great Pyramids are an impossibility which somehow became a reality, due to the effect of an unknown factor.

We can speculate what that unknown factor was.

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image61
            Vladimir Uhriposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paraglider, then let us know what is understood.

Please see the link I posted in my first comment in this thread, on page 1.

4. LewSethics profile image60
      LewSethicsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those Egyptian chariots must have been hard to drive, without wheels and all.

5. Paul Wingert profile image59

First off, the pyrimids are made from limestone, not granite. Limestone is easy rather soft material. Labor was by conscripted workers from the Eqyptian population, not slaves. They were well fed and treated. Physical evidence is found in nearby grave sites. It's amazing what can be accomplished by 10,000 laborers. A quarry if limestone is not far from the base of the pyrimids and by using logs, as a rollers to move the blocks of stone is not hard to figure out.

1. Ciax profile image57

Both granite and limestone were used. The granites came from elsewhere. And each of these blocks still weigh 5 tons in average.

OK in your happy world, granit was used.

6. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps they were a more advanced civilization than what modern science is willing to give them credit for? There is one study I watched just the other day about how they may have had wireless power using the pyramid structures. Apparently Giza could provide wireless power to the whole of egypt. Amazing stuff! As far as I am aware we have no technology like those of ancient Egypt.

Hi pennyofheaven -
        I've read a few articles claiming that the pyramids provided wireless power but all have been very short on scientific explanation and very long on mysticism. I think the traditional explanation that they were built as hugely impressive monumental tombs is actually the relatively boring truth.

1. Ciax profile image57

The opposite of that assumption is just as valid. Some people just don't find interest in the interesting.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

Hi Paraglider,

The one I watched explained it like this...(what I can remember)...The limestone on the outside of the pyramid acts like an insulator, the granite inside the pyramid as a conductor. The gold at the tip of the pyramid which is not there any more was also a conductor. Beneath the pyramids were channels to the nile that allowed water to flow through. Structures leading to what was thought as the central tomb area was where the water would flow to. So they would feed the water from these channels to that point creating power that was emitted from the gold point at the top of the pyramid. ...Or something like that. .

Some of the hieroglyphs show wireless torches that were carried by the ancients.

Will try and find the link to the video I was watching just the other day if you are interested.

I've seen that one and not been convinced. Too many non-science assertions, e.g. that granite is a conductor. There's also the claim that the ark of the covenant was actually a superconductor (!) placed in the central chamber. I'm afraid it all sounds like New Age nonsense.

1. pennyofheaven profile image79

Ark of the covenant? Very fascinating.

but not very believable smile
                It's very easy to gather up all the right ingredients and write a magical story with enough pseudo-scientific elements to capture a few non-critical readers. All in the interests of disinformation, of course!

Beliefs are over rated.

We do not have enough information to arrive at definitive conclusions about the ancients and for me it is all very fascinating.   Magical or not any thing is possible.

But some things are more possible than others.  High in the Google rankings for "pyramid as power" there's an article called Tesla & The Great Pyramid which is pure piffle. But it contains enough pseudo science to fool the credulous, e.g. -

"Under the WGS84 Earth Ellipsoid model, the elliptical arc length values from the centre of the noted sites to the equator of the Earth are calculated as follows:
                    Great Pyramid: 10885784.9448 feet"

By citing the World Geodetic System the author tries to snuggle up to credibility, then immediately goes on to claim that the Great Pyramid's distance from the Equator can be measured to 12 significant figures, in this case to an accuracy better than the thickness of a human hair! Why? Because he needs that particular number to "prove" his nonsensical thesis.

It's all good fun, but complete garbage.

7. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You say in your own bio, "One must not be prejudiced or you will miss a mine of wealth."  You might want to take that to heart....

8. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are NOT perfectly cut rectangles; they have chisel and pound marks, complete with the workers' graffiti. We find mistakes and broken blocks in the quarries, complete with the tools they used to do it.

They did a lot with heating metal for cracking stone.

In ancient Egyptian quarries, you will still find evidence of oopses: blocks that broke while they were cutting them. The half-finished blocks with their cut and bash marks give archaeologists a thorough understanding of how they were made, but this research is extremely boring, so popular mythmaking invents and makes up stories like "diamond cutting" because it sounds so much more mysterious than reality.

Egyptian stonecuttters also did a lot with water. The base of the pyramid, for example, is nearly level because they scored a big grid of grooves across the area they used to prep for the foundations, and they kept pouring water in the grooves until it stopped pooling in any area or flowing out. A very ingenious but hardly supernatural method for leveling stone. Traces of those grooves are still there. A lot of ancient engineering is like that.

You are also apparently unaware of the several hundred years of pyramid evolution it took to perfect construction methods before building up to one that big. We have all the other pyramids, including the Bent Pyramid where they picked too steep an angle and the durned thing started to break and crumble, so they changed the angle to something shallower trying to compensate -- didn't work, the pyramid failed, and they had to start over and try again. The Great Pyramid therefore has several centuries of trial and error and engineering MISTAKES behind it, which are quite clear for all to see.

The Great Pyramid of Khufu also has the remains of the workers village around it. They weren't slaves; they were subsidized labor, given food, health care, and a place to live during the fallow season in exchange for hard labor. We have their kitchens, their tombs, their inscriptions talking about themselves. We know their names. We know what they ate.

We even have their doodles scribbled on the blocks of the great pyramid. On the undersides of the blocks you'll find scribes' notes, even graffiti from the work gangs making bosts like "we have bigger balls because we hauled more blocks today."

So, while we don't have every detail of their engineering techniques, we know enough to know about their flaws and the quite human and fallible workers who did most of the labor.

Or are you arguing that the Egyptians were able to do things we can't because they worshipped the right gods: Amun-Re, Aset (Isis, to the Greeks) and Asar (Osiris) and the rest of the Egyptian pantheon? If so, I hope you know more about ancient Egyptian religion than you do their pyramid-building, so you can instruct people in the proper sacrifices and libations for all the different gods, what animals to worship, which constellations they're associated with, how to make a penis out of wax, the magical uses of dung, and all that other fun stuff from ancient Egyptian traditions. Bonus: you can marry your sister! I'm sure lots of moderns you're trying to convert to the one true path of polytheism will be down with that, but you may run into some legal troubles.

My personal fave is Anpu, Anubis to those backwater Greeks. I've got several figures of him around the house. So, which Egyptian gods do you worship? It's okay to pick favorites; that's one of the advantages of being a pagan. (Just don't go the monotheism route -- pharaoh Akhenaten got in big trouble when he tried to shut down all the temples and just have the country worship his family and his personal favorite god.)

Or you could, you know, study real archaeology and learn about an incredibly fascinating culture. Actual ancient Egypt isn't much like the conspiracy theorists have made up, and it's a bit difficult sifting fact and fiction on the fiction prone web, but it's a pity more people don't learn about  Egypt. Archaeologists actually know a lot more about ancient Egypt than we do about some recent periods, between their literacy, their OCD recordkeeping and bureaucracy, and the desert's ability to preserve so much out away from the Nile floodplain.

1. Ciax profile image57

You speak a lot. Besides, you have no idea of the depth of the subject.

I could go into the details, but it will take much space. But I give you the hint that you are confusing a Rolex watch with a round shaped stone. Even with our space-age technology and computer guided mechines, we can not make a Great Pyramid that can rival the perfection that those Egyptians miraculously achieved in their architectures.

Egyptians had no access to iron. The chisels they used were made of copper. Copper chisels can cut limestone, but they can not successfully cut granite. Even with our most modern wire saws, we would find it hard to cut and shape those massive blocks of granite to the precision that the Egyptians did. The chamber-walls inside the pyramids are so perfectly shaped, that light can almost reflect from them as it does from a mirror. No modern company that specializes in granites, can do that. Not to the level that we find inside the Great Pyramids.

It is next to impossible that human beings performed these miraculous artistry with primitive tools.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7339523_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7339527_f248.jpg

9. profile image0

Do you ever do any research before you start typing? Making such claims like the pyramids couldn't be built today is childish and embarrassing.

1. Arox profile image58

Try to rebuild them.

1. profile image0

They were built as a monument to the death of one person. How many died for that purpose? I hope it never happens again. But much greater things have been built since.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7363403_f248.jpg

They are not tombs. No dead body (or human remains) has ever been found inside the Great Pyramid. We don't know what purpose it was built for. And we can not say, with certainty, that it was built in the name of Pharaoh Khufu. Khufu's written name inside the Great Pyramids has been alleged to be fake.

We have no record whether anyone died while building the architecture.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Slave labour.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've always thought it was slave labour too.

But you know, it is far more likely to have been aliens than God, unless the aliens were known as Gods (which they might have been of course).

This whole thing about the pyramids being seen from space (why?) and the fact that they were exactly aligned to certain stars all seem to point in that direction.

As the building of the pyramids seem to coincide with general suppositions of when and where the Great Flood happened, it is quite obvious that the reasons aliens came to Earth was to collect water.

Or was that the story in V?

Anyway, they came to get water and landed in Egypt, did some deals with the Pharoahs, built the pyramids, reduced the sea levels, and I think probably around the time Earth people crucified one of them, they left.

End of.

1. ptosis profile image69
        ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a story from zecharia sitchin.

Check out the Nazca lines:
        http://gogeometry.com/incas/nazca_lines_indiana_jones.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You must admit this theory seems more plausible than the one in the Bible.

3. ptosis profile image69
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

How did they do it?

Looking back at the moon landing is just as incredible. Your watch has more computing power. It's amazing to think that it was done with such primitive equipment.

Why the Pyramids can't be built today: insurance costs smile
    Great things at great human cost: DYK that the Great Wall of China bricks are not level but follow the contours of the mountains? Can't do that unless use rice powder in the concrete to make it stronger. Imagine how many people starved to death because the rice was used for building instead of eating.

{Oh yeah - like  today we use corn for ethanol}

Plenty other things out there that was done such as in south america where no concrete used the stones are cut so tight - can't put a knife edge into the crease.

Stone of twelve angels
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7333512_f248.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hXwMKiq11iw/TDz-TzDJBTI/AAAAAAAACR4/0mmzK0uabHY/s1600/Incawall1.JPG

1. Ciax profile image57

It's more amazing that we can't rebuild the Great Pyramids even with our most modern equipments.

Why can't we?

1. Ciax profile image57

Because we have no tool, currently, that can lift up a stone weighing that much, to that height.

Neither did the Egyptians. The methods they used did not require lifting the stones through the air.

2. kathleenkat profile image83
            kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are tools that can lift things which weigh 10 tons.

They are called cranes.

This topic is saddening. You ask a question, then proceed to tell everyone who answers that they are wrong. If you know the answer already, or think you know the answer (really, it's all the same to you, you think you're right no matter what), then don't ask the question. It's rude.

I also don't see why you would pose the question to atheists, as our religious affinity has nothing to do with your lack of command for basic concepts of physics.

Thank you.

2. Ciax profile image57

The ancient Egyptians were kidding. But the fact remains that 43 blocks of granite weighing from 30 to 70 tons were quarried, lifted out of the bedrock, transported 500 miles and raised 150 vertical feet to the King's Chamber. and the they had no wheeled vehicle at that time.

Does our modern cranes have the capacity to replicate this process?

Not to mention that the Egyptians left a 1,170 tons unfinished Obelisk at the Aswan quarrey, and erected the statue of Amenhotep III that is estimated to weigh approximately 700 tons and was moved over 700 Km.

If you are an atheist who doesn't believe in extraterrestrials, then you must be quite sad by now.

1. wilderness profile image94
                wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is zero doubt that we could build the pyramids today if we wanted to badly enough.  The weight isn't a problem, the mining isn't a problem and the transportation isn't a problem. 

If you can't lift the block with a crane, build a roadway up the side of the pyramid.  Keep moving your short crane up the side of the pyramid.  Just two of many possibilities. 

Cut the blocks with high pressure water.  Cut them with a laser.  Cut them with a giant bandsaw.  Lots of ways to cut a stone block if you want to and are willing to pay for it.

Your (and my) ignorance of the exact methodology used by Egyptians, evolving over hundreds of years, does not indicate it could not be done then - it indicates we don't know exactly how it was done, although Greek Geeks post plainly shows that we have a very good idea of the basics.

1. Arox profile image58

"Cut them with a laser."

This indicates the depth of your knowledge, which is infantile. There is no laser-cutter in the world, that can cut granite more than the depth of a couple of inches.

We are talking about stones 41m tall & 1,267 tons!

(Greekgeek doesn't understand the difference between a bird and an aeroplane.)

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7362596_f248.jpg

Two options: 

1.  Build a larger laser.  One using the power output of an entire nuke plant and that must be replaced after 1 second of use.  Expensive?  Sure, but it would work.

2.  Make a 2cm cut.  Clean out the debris and make another in the same place.  Repeat as needed.  Much cheaper, and will also work. 

Point is, we can do it.  If we can cut a hole in the earth 2 miles down, we can certainly make a cut 10 feet down.

How could you possibly know they did not have wheels?

A log is a wheel. Just because it isn't cut into a disc shape doesn't mean it won't roll.

And you ask how can cranes repeat the process of building a pyramid? Really?

Lift. Stack. Repeat.

Again, my belief in aliens and my lack of belief in God (not that you woud know anything about what I believe) has nothing to do with your lack of command for basic physics.

Cranes can't lift those 70 ton blocks.  We know this because of the crane failure and collapse while lifting a 400 ton roof section at Miller Park in Milwaukee.  Of course, it was the 10 piece of roof and attempted in a high wind.  The prior 9 similar pieces were all set successfully....

The OP keeps insisting that modern cranes can't lift 10 tons to 150 feet. But he's probably talking about mobile cranes like the yellow one in his picture. If you were going to spend 20 years or so building a pyramid, you'd probably erect a static crane like the famous Finnieston Crane in Glasgow, built about 100 years ago to lift steam railway locomotives onto ships:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4528743_f520.jpg

The crane’s capacity was 175 tons. It is 175 ft high with a 152 ft jib which could make a full revolution, of 1,000 ft at the tip of the jib, in 3½ minutes. It was built by the Carlisle firm Cowans, Sheldon & Co. At the time it was the largest hammerhead crane in Europe.

I'm not saying the ancient Egyptians had one. I think they used ramps and rollers. But I don't like cranes being given a bad name, that's all!

2. Arox profile image58

"Lift. Stack. Repeat."

Did the Egyptians have cranes too?

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Trollet_som_grunner_p%C3%A5_hvor_gammelt_det_er.jpg/220px-Trollet_som_grunner_p%C3%A5_hvor_gammelt_det_er.jpg

I think it was built by an army of these.

5. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

http://memecrunch.com/meme/5AF/aliens-meme/image.png

But seriously. Saying God did it, or aliens did it, takes the credit away from the people who did build these structures. And they deserve the credit!

What could you possibly know about what inventions the Ancient Egyptians had? What makes you think the only way to cut rock is with the fancy machines we have today? How egotistical.

Someone with a background in archaeology, please chime in!

1. Ciax profile image57

Call someone with a background in physics.

1. kathleenkat profile image83

Someone with a background in physics might say they used leverage.

Just because we don't know something for sure, doesn't mean God did it. Or Aliens. Have you been to a desert? Many things get buried under the sand. Additionally, the Egyptians used a lot of wood product. That can easily get lost in time. I think they used water and sand as a way to smooth things, but what do I know? Someone with an archaeology background might have a better take on the subject.

2. Paraglider profile image88

I have a background in Physics. You just didn't like the answer I gave you because you have a preference for magic.

1. Ciax profile image57

Deleted

That makes no sense.

1. profile image0
              mariexotoniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a background in physics as well. He didn't like my response either.  Just gonna let this die out and eventually he'll be arguing with himself before you know it.

1. Ciax profile image57
                1. profile image0

Sorry, I don't click on those. Gonna have to generate a fresh, new reply. Maybe one with some supporting evidence.

2. Ciax profile image57

There was no physics in your answer. You merely pointed to a flawed and incomplete hypothesis that refutes the very fundamentals of physics.

There didn't need to be. Classical Mechanics wasn't formulated until about 3000 years after the pyramids were built. But levers, rollers, ramps and wedges were well understood. Stone masonry was well advanced and unskilled labour was abundant.

1. Ciax profile image57

The Egyptians had to deal with gravity while they were building the Great Pyramids.

How could they lift up a 10 tons block of stone to the height of 150 meter? They did it 4000 years ago. There must be a physical explanation.

Yep, and they did a pretty good job of that, don't you think?
                For example, they understood the principle of the inclined plane. Do you?

1. Ciax profile image57

You're so frustrated now.

Not even slightly. I'm mildly amused at your inept trolling, that's all smile

2. nightwork4 profile image60
                    nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

you soind like you're getting frustrated. so many people here telling you how it was done and you can't prove them wrong. that must be rough. like i said earlier, it was built using ramps and manpower.

3. profile image0

Why did you start this thread just to argue? Can we put  a stop to this kind of stuff on hubpages? Quite frankly, it's frustrating to see.

6. Ciax profile image57
    Ciaxposted 11 years ago

Let someone (with a background in physics) answer how a block of stone weighing 10 tons, can be lifted into a height of 150 meter? It was done 4000 years ago.

1. profile image0

With an inclined plane or a ramp, like many others have told you before. The Eqyptians were very knowledgeable in regards to building and construction.  It was impossible to lift these blocks by man power alone. However, by putting skids under the blocks, and rolling them on the ground and up the ramp, the  maneuvering of these blocks was possible.

There are even hieroglyphics showing the use of skids and ramps.  Did you even try to google this or do any kind of research? Go to your local library and crack open a book? There's plenty of ways to get information. If you actually were curious about this, you would have gone about doing so.

I hope hubpages works on banning posts and forums like this. It's inappropriate.

1. Ciax profile image57
        1. profile image0

yeah? and?
          That tells me nothing. Just that you can't wrap your head around it.  What are you basing your claims on? Just your thoughts?

1. Ciax profile image57

Facts and rationality.

1. profile image0

Well that's not a good thing to base your claims on. What do you believe happened? Even if you were to just guess- what's your gut telling you?

Way to change your answer from "Frustrations" smile Facts and rationality is better to base claims on.

See? I posted this 27 minutes ago, and I can STILL edit the reply.

1. Ciax profile image57

It's telling me that I spoke to an idiot somewhere.

1. profile image0

Don't be rude and dismissive. I don't think I'm an idiot.  I've been doing very well with physics. I'm truly just curious about your explanation as to how the pyramids came to be. So what is that explanation, exactly?

1. Ciax profile image57

A troubled man with immense supernatural idiocy. That's the only possible solution right now.

2. profile image0

lol you went from "frustrations" to "facts and rationality". Interesting.

7. rasta1 profile image72
    rasta1posted 11 years ago

Nobody knows?

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Massive amounts of slave labor, ramps and fulcrums are quite sufficient for the job.  And not all that mind boggling compared to your apparent alternative, that God likes to build really big sand castles for humans who deify themselves.

1. Ciax profile image57

That's placing a 10 tons block of stone at the height of 150 meter, using a ramp. Let's talk about gravity. Then equipments. Then how things looked like 4000 years ago.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7334307_f248.jpg

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I think it can be done.

Why do you think God would have done it, especially for people who didn't believe in Him?

1. Austinstar profile image83
          Austinstarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is my question too. Why is this question being posed to "Atheists"? Weird.

2. Ciax profile image57

Let's talk about doing it today, with all the technology at our disposal. We shall study the Egyptian technology later.

Atheism is a broad brush and it covers a lot of things. An atheist can explain a natural phenomenon with rationality. Here is one for them. The Great Pyramids.

9. Ciax profile image57
    Ciaxposted 11 years ago

This is the (disturbing) reality, instead.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7334350_f248.jpg

10. Ciax profile image57
    Ciaxposted 11 years ago

"had there been no gravity to deal with, the big stone blocks would have floated around in the air all by themselves. But there was gravity, so they had to use the normal set of gravity defeating tools, namely: inclined planes, rollers, levers, wedges (so that they could rest occasionally) and muscle power."

This is an worthless explanation, unless you can make a hypothesis around it. Many 'experts' tried to. Even the best hypothesis they came up with, was incomplete, and practically impossible.

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2249294

Next?

Still waiting for your alternative explanation . . .

1. Ciax profile image57

Lost your humor, didn't you?

You said "If one interconnects the weight of the stones with the tools that Egyptians had 4000 years ago, and considers the height of the structures - it becomes immediately clear that the Great Pyramids are an impossibility which somehow became a reality, due to the effect of an unknown factor."

Simply wrong. It does not become clear that the pyramids are an impossibility. The very tangible evidence for their possibility is their existence. They are there. It took time and effort and ingenuity to build them. That's all.

1. Ciax profile image57

That's your interpretation based on the assumptions that humans built the Great Pyramids under natural conditions.

I think they maybe got the cats to help them. The Egyptians were fond of cats.

1. Ciax profile image57

Talk about zero gravity cats.

I see you come from Budapest. Nice city. Give my regards to St Margaret next time you see her.

1. Ciax profile image57

I guess she is living in Scotland right now.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Don't feed the troll. wink

1. Ciax profile image57

says the troll

2. Paraglider profile image88

Slow day at work, that's all wink

11. Dallas Matier profile image85
    Dallas Matierposted 11 years ago

That has to be one of the weirdest attempts at trolling I've ever come across. And, why is this a challenge to atheists, anyway? Is you argument that God built them? Why would the Christian god build tombs for Egyptian Pharaohs in a time when they would have believed in the Egyptian gods, then? Or, aliens, maybe? An atheist is just as likely, if not more, to believe in aliens anyway, so how is that a challenge to them, in particular. What's the point of this thread? Honestly... you seem convinced you're making some sort of point here, but I don't get it.

1. Ciax profile image57

"Atheism is a broad brush and it covers a lot of things. An atheist can explain a natural phenomenon with rationality. Here is one for them. The Great Pyramids."

Look around.

1. Dallas Matier profile image85
        Dallas Matierposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope, I still don't get it. Though, judging by the way you've been responding to people, I'm going to take a wild stab at it and guess that you're just bored and looking for some way to amuse yourself.

Just so we're clear, though...

- The pyramids exist
        - I don't know how they were built
        Therefor, God.

...is a terrible argument.

Honestly, whenever I've let myself get dragged into something like this in the past, it was usually to argue against your typical angry Internet atheist. If feels weird to be on the other side.

1. Ciax profile image57

Not every atheist believes in aliens. There is not much after that in your post.

Uh huh. Whose talking about aliens, anyway? I only mentioned aliens when I was trying to work out what you were on about.

Alright, then. You're absolutely right... humans clearly had to have help building the pyramids. Clearly, they must have been built by Ra... you know, since the pyramids predate Christianity by a fair margin. And, now that we have clear proof that Ra exists, someone should probably tell all the other religions in the world. I'm glad we sorted that out, man... seriously. Thank you.

12. Ciax profile image57
    Ciaxposted 11 years ago

"An atheist is just as likely, if not more, to believe in aliens anyway, so how is that a challenge to them, in particular. What's the point of this thread?"

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2250092

Not many atheists can digest the idea that aliens exist. This thread is for those atheists. If they think that humans built the Great Pyramids, then they must be able to explain how.

Which was my answer to my own question, when I was asking whether your point was that you believed aliens built the pyramids... which was part of my wondering why this was a challenge to atheists in particular... which was followed by me clearly asking what the actual point of this thread was... which you didn't actually answer, beyond some vaguely defined idea that the fact that we don't know for sure how the pyramids were built is proof of the existence of... something. But, hey... you go ahead and quote things out of context, if it makes you feel better, champ.

1. Ciax profile image57

You don't make much sense, do you?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Well that makes two of you, doesn't it, honey.

1. Ciax profile image57

That makes a dancer who has its intelligence in the proverbial organ. The remaining two are open to synthesis.

13. rasta1 profile image72
    rasta1posted 11 years ago

Ciax knows that the technologies that existed during that period does not exist today. Do not feed him. The technologies we have today cannot build the pyramid. For example, it was Albert Einstein that re-introduced certain technologies like nuclear bombs and relativity. There are many other technologies that will be re-introduced in our lifetimes. Until then they will seem magical or impossible.

The Egyptians grew plants that gave off light which they used as their lamps in the night. We can know replicate that same type of science through genetic engineering today. But we could not have done so 10 years ago. Most people thought that the Egyptians used magical plants in the 80's.

Technology and science repeats itself.

You think relativity is a technology??

2. Ciax profile image57

This is the only valid explanation. It seems that those Egyptians surely had a very high level of sophistication in technology, given the fact that we can not replicate their achievements even with our most modern equipments.

I think that is possible... If one could travel as fast as light in a space-time fabric then time will be frozen...

Hmmm maybe this can be the work of the giants that existed long time... ago the sons of daughters of angels that fall in love with humans. But these were wiped out by a deluge and there are a lot of evidences that the flood existed during Noah's time...

Funniest reply yet. big_smile

Lelz... the bible is much more accurate than any other history books ever... ( :

If I would say it can be done by giants then this can be possible, why not...
              The evidences that a huge deluge that wiped out these creatures are as clear as daylight and are widespread all over the four corners of the world...
              And here some of the evidences that the great flood happened using Google search:
              If the Flood of Noah's day was a real historical event and was worldwide we would expect to find some or all of the following evidence on the earth:

Lots of sedimentary (water deposited) rock all over the earth.

Evidence through fossilization of rapid burial of millions of organisms in the above strata.

Sufficient water on the planet to 'do the job'.

Very little evidence of pre-flood civilization i.e. culture and language arising relatively recently and suddenly.

Very different climate on the earth in the past.

Many flood stories in the various people groups around the world.
                  Lack of Genetic variability supporting descent from a small population
                  Mutation rates suggesting a recent origin for mankind
                  massive vulcanism in the past ...

See how Science reinforces what the bible says...

Unlike your beliefs in evolution theory which will forever be a science fiction and very unscientific... and this is a lot funnier Sir...

OK - that is even funnier. lol

I salute your immense sense of humor, nyahahahaha...

You are the one with the sense of humor if you think the bible is a history book. big_smile

Did I just said it... in part it is... and it is more than that and more scientific too...

I presume that there are some things in the Bible may be based in truth. In the very least, it is a written account by people of Biblical times of how they saw and understood the world.

I recall watching a documentary about the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, where God strikes down people with fire. They were equating the fire falling from the sky to a volcanic eruption. Cool huh?

3. emilgen2011 profile image59

@rasta1 - "For example, it was Albert Einstein that *re-introduced* certain *technologies* like *nuclear bombs* and *relativity." --- When, where and how? Are you sure about this? Unbelievable...

14. Ciax profile image57
    Ciaxposted 11 years ago

There have been some very interesting experiments which tried to emulate the Egyptians-

Archeologist Mark Lehner set up an experiment to see if it was possible to quarry, move and lift an obelisk weighing one-tenth of what the largest Egyptian obelisks weighed. It was filmed by NOVA and was an utter failure.

The team's master stonemason could not quarry the 35-ton obelisk so a bulldozer was called in. They could not move it, a truck was called in.

Lehner actually confirmed what a Japanese team funded by Nissan had already learned in 1979, it is not possible to duplicate what the ancients did using primitive tools and methods. Team Nissan was trying to prove something and they were very confident. But when they could not begin to excavate the blocks of stone they planned on using for their small scale-model of the Great Pyramid with ancient tools they turned to jackhammers.

When they tried to ferry the blocks they quarried across the river on a primitive barge, the stones sank. When a boat got them across the river they discovered that the sledges sank in the sand. They called trucks in to move the blocks to the site.

Once at the site they could not manipulate the blocks into place and found, to their ultimate embarrassment, that they could not bring the four walls together into an apex despite the deployment of helicopters.

Perhaps modern man have too much pride or arrogance (cannot decide which one to use) to admit that it is highly possible that an ancient civilization was more advanced than us. However they achieved this level of advancement poses further perplexing questions, that modern man seems to not want to address....

2. profile image0

Yeah? He only took three attempts.
      Did you know in August-September in 1999, after learning from their experiences, they were able to successfully erect one? (It was done by Rick Brown) smile Isn't that neat?Gotta do your research.

1. Arox profile image58

Did they reverse engineer the Great Pyramid?

15. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

I'm puzzled as to why this thread is a "Challenge to Atheists"? Is it because the assumption that atheists are the only ones capable of doing research and believers are not?

Maybe some are capable of making a good research while others aren't.

This thread is still intact and so far the owner of this refuted all of the replies hurled on him... Two thumbs up Ciax... I hope you will not mention the massive statues in the remote Easter Islands, the renowned Stonehenge in UK, and other colossal monuments that are scattered all over the world in the coming days lelz...

It is so surprising that one of those who opposes this thread mentions Albert Einstein and his relativity theory... For your information my dear friend rasta1, Einstein, who is a Nobel prize winner for his discovery of photons, the first man to accurately measure the mass of an atom, and who hatched the "Relativity Theory," is in fact a theist... very ironic and awkward isn't it, where is good researching skill on this, using your opponent's reputation and works to gain advantage is null and void... Einstein never "re-introduced" nuclear bombs, I hope you are not hallucinating...

The relativity theory is the driving force on Einstein's ultimate goal of finding out how God created the universe...

You can hide but you cannot escape my dear friend Mark Knowles...

Not very accurate. Atomic mass was established about 100 years earlier by the chemist Dalton. Einstein's Nobel prize was for demonstrating that the photoelectric effect could be explained by a photon model for light, but the experimental verification came later. Because Einstein was the greatest scientist of his generation, everyone wants to harness his name to their own personal agenda, whether it be atheism, deism or something else. This is usually attempted by selective quotes.
        But Einstein's ultimate goal was to formulate a Unified Field Theory that would harmonise the strong and weak nuclear forces, electromagnetism and gravitation into a single explanation. He was not concerned with investigating God.

Very intelligent reply Para... But I have my own beliefs with what I researched too..

I hope we can leave it that way my dear friend...

No problem. I just wanted to do for Einstein's reputation what I did earlier for cranes smile

2. profile image0

When he mentions god- he's not talking about the god you're thinking of.
        Here's a letter he wrote before he died, that actually talks about his views on religion:
        http://www.relativitybook.com/resources … igion.html
        Although I don't know what Einstein's beliefs have to do with Pyramid building, but whatever smile

So what kind of god he is actually thinking of...

This is what Einstein thought of god and religion:

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. "

The letter where he expressed his disdain for religion just sold for over $3 million:

http://wp.me/p2Jz2C-9B

What does his views on god have to do with building the Pyramids again?

This is actually the famous God Letter... sent by Einstein...

In my opinion, the God he is referring to is the True God that created the Universe and Nature...

The same God I know... just an opinion though... I hope I am entitled to this...

The product of human weaknesses? lol

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
                A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, too bad it's wrong again. Here is what Einstein said about your god from the "famous God letter"...

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

lol

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

Entirely false, it was John Dalton and Thomas Thomson between 1803 and 1805.

lol

You are right this time... Hayz I could've said the size of an atom... You won this one my friend... for the first time... hehehe (;

4. LewSethics profile image60

Einstien didn't discover photons or measure the mass of atoms.  Where do you get this stuff?

Lelz your reply makes no sense at all and doesn't deserve any attention... Do not waste my time...

1. LewSethics profile image60

My statement is very straightforward.  Your time is already wasted.

You are right on the mass and I stand corrected... I could've said the first one to calculate accurately the size of an atom... Got lazy to watch my reference and that boomerangs on me...

With regards to the Photons, however, Einstein in one of his four visionary papers, he was the first one to answer the age-old question "What is Light?"... He discovered that photoelectric effect comes as a particle called photons...

Sorry for my arrogance earlier my friend... (:

16. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

The pyramids were built in the same way as the blocks of Stonehenge - which predate them by a thousand years or so.  Absolutely no mystery to any civil engineer  - and the site they were cut from can be visited and a couple of stones that only got half way to the site are to be raised from the seabed in the Bristol channel some time soonish.

Just because you don't know how something is done does not mean it is impossible - it means you are uneducated.

1. Ciax profile image57

You are obsessed with kindergartens.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are a time wasting troll - go back to playing computer games and leave the grown ups alone.

1. Arox profile image58

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7362541_f248.jpg

17. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

answer is yaweh...he personally made pyramid for masters of chosen people ..since chosen people were slaves and would have been flogged to build pyramid...yaweh volunteered and worked for Egyptian's pyramid...

18. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

The alignment part is very interesting to me.
    Why can't man make incredible monuments like this today? Because bureaucratic red tape gets in the way.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

Or, maybe because it is a complete waste of manpower and resources to build such monuments in the name of one man.

Of course, there are still egomaniacs who do such things...

http://s3.freefoto.com/images/1210/03/1210_03_77_web.jpg

1. Arox profile image58

What was the Great Pyramid built for?

LOL

They can. Where slave labour is still the norm. Any idea how tall this monstrosity is?

http://blog.luxuryproperty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/burj-dubai.jpg

Monstrosity is correct. They should have stopped while they were winning, with the beautiful Burj al Arab

http://blog.dubai.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Burj-Al-Arab.jpg

Now, that's something you couldn't build with inclined planes and rollers. . .

1. LeanMan profile image81
          LeanManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wait for the "Mile High" tower when they build that in Jeddah..

Yes, I know. I can wait . . . !

2. emilgen2011 profile image59

Cool eh... Indeed Para... The people in the antiquities have no very raw technology and they cannot able to erect vertical structures just like the ones we have today, that's why they perfected building the pyramids instead...

2. Ultimater profile image57

Show the reality, instead of a 3D rendering. This is a building named Burj Khalifa, located in Dubai.

Surely they didn't build this building with 70 tons stone-blocks. The construction company that built this building, had only 3 cranes, with the maximum lifting capacity of  25 tons.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7366028_f248.jpg

19. Arox profile image58
    Aroxposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7362742_f248.jpg

It is difficult to rebuild this even today. And there is no certainty that we have the technology to rebuild the Great Pyramid.

One of the funny things in this discussion is that well over 100 years ago, with what we would now call very primitive technology, we built the Washington Monument. 

From an engineering and construction standpoint it is much more difficult to build an obelisk than a pyramid of about the same height.  The stones are mostly about the same size, but somehow we got them cut and placed 500' in the air anyway - hard to believe we could not accomplish it today.

Could we build the Washington Monument 5000 years ago?

Everyone knows that the Washington Monument is an observatory (therefore, it's a hollow structure). There is nothing inside the building except stairs and an elevator shaft.

The thickness of monument walls at observation level is only 18 inches. It's no competition to the Great Pyramid.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7366407_f248.jpg

If you are unable to understand that it is easier to build an almost solid pyramid than a hollow tower then you are beyond hope.    For 20 years I constructed massive structures deep underwater that you could not begin to comprehend or understand - I guess this makes me an extraterrestrial or a god ?

"it is easier to build an almost solid pyramid than a hollow tower"

Depends upon size, weight, precision, equipments and technology. If you are unable to understand that, then you are beyond hope.

(For 20 years you could not begin to comprehend or understand how the Great Pyramid might have been constructed - I guess this makes the Egyptians extraterrestrials or gods?)

Oh dear !  the lights really are not on in there are they.

It has always been known how the pyramids were built - it is not hard - any working engineer can reproduce them with a fraction of the people originally used in their construction, even without hte advantage of todays heavy lift equipment.  Only the totally dim can ignore the obvious to such an extent as you are doing.

Could anyone make your supposed 'massive structures deep underwater' 5000 years ago?

You are beyond hope.

All hail! *bows down appropriately*

3. pennyofheaven profile image79

lol

4. Ultimater profile image57

I think an answer is what traditionally follows pointing out that you are lacking in any understanding of construction, physics, geometry etc etc.

How about if I told you that I can build this Yonaguni structure or whatever it is 30 metres underwater in less than three days and on my own ?   Would that make me a god ?

You do know this is the same troll as the genea troll and the ciax troll and several others that got banned - right? wink

I did suspect so - but others are also in these threads and I am enjoying this particular discussion big_smile 

I used to build the kind of things that are being discussed although I have never attempted a pyramid.

The underwater thingy however - I can actually do what I claim and was hoping someone would challenge me on it big_smile

Nice to see you back here defending reason again !

Show me how you can build it! big_smile

Ah = you want me to do it with ancient technology as well !!   Unfortunately for your line of reasoning they did not build that structure (or the many others like it) underwater - they were built on land which is now underwater. 

Before you start on that one, many areas of the world were once above water that are now beneath it - much of the Mediterranean is proveably like that, the North sea between Britain and Holland was once a huge plain with inhabitants and all, now around 20 metres underwater.

And as for Atlantis. . .  smile

How do you know that they didn't build that structure under water?

20. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Option 1) Lots of slave labor and good math
    Option 2) The Egyptian Gods literally exist and did it for them

I know which one I think is a better explanation. Especially since even the people who were there at the time doing the building, hiring the overseers and writing the shopping lists (documents that still exist today) think it was #1.

There is not even evidence of slave labour as we understand slavery - no evidence that the jews who worked as labour in Egypt ever were enslaved or ran away into the wilderness.  I doubt that there was a trade union mind you .

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was not referencing Jewish slaves, but the indentured classes of Egyptian society who worked where they were told to work, lived where they were told to live, and lacked autonomy. To my mind that is slavery.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

Option 3) They were far more advanced technologically speaking than we give them credit for.

Option 4)  We know how technologically advanced they were because they left us pictures of it - written on the walls of the pyramids !   Simple geometry and physics employed over and over again for around ten years,  or twenty years in some cases where something or other disrupted the work.

Your option 4 is really an expansion for option 1.

I thought there were no hieroglyphics in the Great pyramid? Well not any that were created at the same time period they were built.

Apparently they would have needed 100,000 men to lay one block every three and a half minutes in order to have completed the pyramid within 20 years. Apparently there was not that kind of manpower available in those times. Not to mention that the wood available at the time would not have coped with the weight of the blocks..   

I have no doubt they used geometry and physics. How else could they construct the pyramid? How they applied their knowledge of geometry and physics is another thing altogether. Did they know much more than we do? Was their knowledge of geometry and physics far more advanced than our knowledge? Perhaps their knowledge came from those who built Gobekli Tepe that is supposed to be way older than the great pyramid?

I don't know, any thing is possible.

Of course their knowledge was handed down and improved - it always is !  You gotta start somewhere and the first pyramid was probably somebodys bright idea of an employment programme - (and that worked too, you would have thought that todays economists would have learned from this 3 or 4000 year old idea)

Your 'apparently' is correct in the numbers of people but that kind of workforce was definately available at that time and their houses etc are part of the excavations that can be seen in the locations.  Egypt was THE superpower of its time from around 3000 BC to when the Romans took it around the year 0.  This is a huge time for a continuous civilization - if they wanted to do something they did it.  The idea that the wood of the time was not strong enough is interesting, how was it different from the wood of today ?

Date palms apparently.

Egypt had access to all the wood in africa that we have today - they were also the centre of trade for the world of that time. you should go back to the source of your mis-information and dump it.

Haha yes that seems like the best way to proceed.

All this is rather interesting - in the case of the OP, the most interesting is the total lack of knowledge in this information age where all this stuff is easily available if we care to look.

It has all the marks of book-burning.

21. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I find it funny how some people fail to realize that maybe, just maybe, humans of 5000 years ago, who possessed the same mental capabilities and physiology, may have been able to thoughtfully engineer a building through trial an error.

But then again, if we can't do it, it's *impossible* for someone who came before us to have. Right? Do I have the human ego down correctly? There have been men and women throughout history who were smarter than today's average Joe.

Modern man is an arrogant lot. They are so full of themselves that they cannot entertain the idea that so called primitive man might have been more advanced than us. Oh well,.

The Dogon tribe, in Africa, knew that Sirius was a trinary star system prior to us developing modern telescopes to view in the infrared. The third star is not visible in regular lighting, and the dot of light in the sky from the first and second "visible" stars appears as just one star to the naked eye.

These people somehow knew. They are also said to have descended from the Ancient Egyptians. Perhaps they, too, figured out refraction of light through filtered glass. Cool, huh?

One might blame supernatural powers, though, rather than human ingenuity.

Very cool.

Yes agree, often supernatural powers are not as super as some might think haha.

"There have been men and women throughout history who were smarter than today's average Joe."

Perhaps you didn't realized that you replied to yourself.

You've lost me. I was not replying to myself, as I was not the one who started this topic.\

And I fully accept and aknowledge that Pythagoras was a lot smarter than I am now. To learn the Pythagoran theory is easy. But to discover the formula? Very difficult. I suspect that Pythagoras was much, much, smarter than you are.

You replied to yourself, again.

Nice try, socky.

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/6038/capturedcd.jpg

Third one.

22. Drive-by Quipper profile image56
    Drive-by Quipperposted 11 years ago

I'm not an atheist.

It is amazing what can be done with enough Hebrew slaves.

23. pennyofheaven profile image79
    pennyofheavenposted 11 years ago

In your view then, misinformation is a deliberate attempt to steer people from what is true? Who would do that and what would they hope to achieve? Religious wise I can understand why they might but in other areas of life I cannot.

People have always been denied information to keep them under control.  If you don't know anything then I have the power over you.

The Middle ages were all about the church denying people scientific information and teaching BS in their schools (nothing much changed there then!)  now science has opened up information and strongly promotes education for all - so the response is to ensure that most people can't find the information and cannot decide which is true and which is deliberate disinformation. 

You can see from these threads that most people are unable to reason in the most basic way, the OP is a classical example of the inability to reason.  He has been given a piece of information that has convinced him - then denies all the facts that disprove it, and is unable to reason with himself to overcome this humiliating deficiency.

I don't think I am getting it?

Having control over another would only apply if one equates knowledge with power. Therefore one would need to subscribe to this perception before they could possibly be controlled by the ones with more knowledge whose aim might be to control. Knowledge can be useful depending on who is seeking that knowledge and what they intend to use that knowledge for. Like a Doctor or a Mechanic. However, to use it as a tool to control makes no sense?

If we knew how wind works would that knowledge alone prevent the wind from blowing?

Apart from the basic lessons schools rarely if ever prepare any one for the real world. To add religion to the mix would seem in my mind to not add much either.

I guess if one equates knowledge with power reasoning would not be an easy thing to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)