The Ideal Human : What are we supposed to be?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (88 posts)
  1. illeagle profile image60
    illeagleposted 13 years ago

So much time is spent expressing what people should not be. I am curious to hear what you believe a person should be. What qualities does a person need to have to be considered 'good enough'?

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

TOLERANCE

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Acceptance is easier. smile

is easier better? 

from all that you write I am super surprised at that answer and I must say a bit disappointed.

Acceptance is easier. Tolerance is achieved through acceptance. wink

Does that help? tongue

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
              couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tolerance and acceptance are two different things.  I think acceptance comes after tolerance.  You tolerate something for so long that you finally come to accept it.

1. Rafini profile image82
                Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

or reject.  after tolerating something you have a choice....

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Illeagle...g.mornin'.
      "good enough?" for what?
      I don't quite get your point.
      What are we supposed to be and with what result in mind?
      Can ya be a bit more specific? TY

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now I know that this is a little off subject, but it does correspond to the question, "What are we supposed to be?" ___________________________________________
      I watch a program that is produced by the History Channel, about aliens.  There has been some recent discoveries on ancient mining operations.  Very sophisticated and state of the art mining operations, mind you that are dating back over 150,000 years ago, in parts of Southern Africa.  These very same scholars are now beginning to question the role of the human race in view to being specifically created by an alien race, as "slave labor."  Scientist think they have recently uncovered some archaeological evidence that a "slave" race of humans, appearing much like us now, did exist 150,000 years ago. However their purpose was to mine the only mineral known, to reflect ultra violet light produced by the sun: GOLD. 

So what are we suppose to be?  Miners, I guess.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Happy and not hurting anyone.

1. Denise Handlon profile image87
        Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice answer.  I just posted something here at the end of the thread b/c the responses here are old.  Some are two months old from the original.  smile

5. Otto23 profile image60
      Otto23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What are we supposed to be? Exactly who we want to be.

It's funny, actually, because I was going over this subject the other day with my friends and the conversation seemed to always end up at:

"... yeah, but, it's not what everyone is doing. It's not the ultimate plan that everyone else is doing".

I don't know about you, but since when was other peoples' personal lifestyles your new means of a quota to meet? Exactly.

Do what's best for you, create your own unique timeline, and never let anyone take that from you because otherwise you wouldn't be living your life... you're living theirs.

I hope this helps out smile

6. Dale Michaels profile image60
      Dale Michaelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about, Love, Joy, Peace, Long Suffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faith, Mildness, and Self Control?

Do you think developing these qualities might make the ideal human? I, for one, believe that these qualities are what we should be, or develop to the best of our abilities to be the ideal human being.

7. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Ideal ... Is to be Human ...

Read about Prophet Muhammad, with an open mind, and you will find
      the Ideal human personified. Peace and Blessings of llah be Upon Muhammad.

illeagleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have not read much about the Prophet Muhammed, but I am sure the rumors I've heard are far from true!

To be Human, sincerely Human, I believe, is to be completely overwhelmed by the incomprehensible miracle of existence right here, right now, in this moment! wink

In Awe of All.

8. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try being Humane ... thats another way of being, what we are supposed to be.

9. selfbetter profile image60
      selfbetterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I truly believe we, humans have an amazing potential. As crazy as it might sound - I believe we can actually become perfect in every good quality or attribute.

10. Declan Kerr profile image61
      Declan Kerrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ourselves

11. TheHumanCondition profile image60
      TheHumanConditionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no "should be", we all try to reach our potential but never achieve it. The truth is life is a game where nobody ever wins, we just get close.

12. rebekahELLE profile image87
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

people need to discover this themselves. there is a common thread in all humanity..

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I wrote a hub or two on the subject.

A Single Conscious Mind Changes The World

Is It Chosen Ignorance or a Lack of Knowledge

Not to mention, I recently wrote Humanity Habitat: Changing Life- We Can Make A Difference.

It all starts living life from the foundation and fundamental understanding of Integrity.

1. sligobay profile image60
      sligobayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An individual has inspired billions to revolution and evolution. No names are necessary. Each of us chooses our own inspiration and our own evolution. I will read your Hubs, Cagsil.

3. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

who decides who decides what we are supposed to be?

If you have to ask that question..... roll

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

You decide.

1. Dale Michaels profile image60

@couturepopcafe,

What a weak answer that is. "You decide." Perhaps there is a higher entity that has set a standard that we should attain to, no?

You decide is such a cop out! Each person just does what they think is best for them. That's the reason this question is being asked in the first place.

For thousands of years, YOU have decided what the ideal human being should be, and this "you decide" answer has failed to produce any lasting benefit to human society.

You are weak. "You decide" is such a weak answer.

4. MalcolmKlock profile image61
    MalcolmKlockposted 13 years ago

The man who finds his gifts and passions, and cultivates them rather than leaving them dorment out of ignorance or fear. That man is living in his ideal form, as I would see it.

beautifully said!

5. Jojane2002 profile image60
    Jojane2002posted 13 years ago

I believe that everyone should just accept who they are. If what you are is deemed not good enough for another. Then they are simply not good enough for you! Only you can determine whether you're the best person you can be. No one elses opinion should matter at all.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spot on. Or as someone one said, "What you think of me is none of my business. smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image61

Love it, earn.

2. Dale Michaels profile image60

@Jojane2002,

If we adopt your view of things, then there is no need to try to improve ourselves as human beings. You say, "No one elses opinion should matter at all."

Really? So, if I'm a child molester, then no one else's opinion matters, right?

If "no one else's opinion matters," then why do we have laws that limit the behavior of us as human beings?

Of course the opinions of other people matter! You can't possibly expect us to believe that you don't care about how other people view you! If your really don't care about how other people view you, then you are not human, you are just an animal living by instinct.

Good luck to you!

6. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Popeye said it best! "i yam what I yam! I'm Popeye the Sailor Man!"

@qwark

Popeye the Sailor Man was a cartoon character, and if you believe what he said to be true, then you are too.

You don't believe that we need to work at being better people? This is completely ridiculous!

Your background may have created a person who is angry, abusive, even a sexual predator.

Are you just going to say "I am what I am?" What a cop out from really working at being a better individual.

This is a coward's answer to this question.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dale:
        lolol....and you're response is shallow and ludicrous!
        The answer to the question of this thread is simply one who accepts his "being" and lives to meet natures demands of reproduction and survival is the "ideal human."
        Popeye has it right: I yam what I yam!
        He is what his genetics have programmed him to be.
        He is the final product of 4 million yrs of human evolution...survival of the fittest and most adaptable.
        He is what he is! We are what we are, nothing more.
        Qwark

7. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

BE LOVE BE PEACE BE FREE AND THEN WE WILL HAVE HEAVEN ON EARTH RIGHT NOW.

1. Happyboomernurse profile image84
      Happyboomernurseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love Ambassador Butler's reply. It's so true, sounds so simple and yet is difficult to dol

8. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

All I can say is why should anyone tell others what they should be? We can only be the best we can be and let live!

9. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

Good enough...

A person SHOULD BE honest... compassionate... hard working. 

Interesting topic, because I struggle with how to approach this answer.  When looking at it from a "did I live a 'good enough' life" perspective... all I really want to be able to say is I was happy.  It seems nothing else would matter all that much...

10. profile image0
    suarezelec2002posted 13 years ago

There is no such thing as being "good enough," though many choose to live their lives pressured by this delusion. To one extent or another, we are all good enough, even when it comes to those who are societies worse. How many times have you heard it said by someone about a bad person that they will never be like him or her ? Even in the bad, a person does good for they are the example to another of how not to "behave." Behavior has consequence and many go about living a life pressured by the fact of being good enough to be ACCEPTED or vainly seeking to stand out above others. None of us as human beings are so stupid that we up and decide to act like animals without thought or consequence for our actions. Those who are bad examples, "choose" their actions and still do what they know to be wrong despite logic. Good enough is a term for failure for it is a facade self righteous persons choose to judge others in society which do not meet up to "their" standards. In the eyes of the Lord, we are "all" accepted and unlike the beliefs of just about all religions, does not destroy of reject anyone. Were it so, there would not be the teacher of all bad behaviors many call the devil for the Lord would have destroyed him in the beginning........When a religion is created that understands that we as a species are all loved by a creator who told us to love one another, including the enemies whom we consider as not being "good enough," then and only then maybe we will quit killing each other for the sake of gaining the attention of a Lord who consequently will never accept these kind as being "good enough" into his Kingdom.

1. lemmyC profile image71
      lemmyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We're created in God's image after His likeness- Man and woman did he create us to be. You've be mad to increase, multiply, replenish and subdue the earth. This is an ability that God has deposited in all of us. Whether we are doing it depends on our understanding of ho we are in Him.  As new creations in Christ Jesus, we are His workmanship and God's purpose for giving us this Life is for us to do good work. What is good work? The disciples asked Jesus how do we do the work of God? He answered them saying ...; "By believing in Him who has sent. ." What you believe to  large extent determines what you do and how you conduct your life. The Preacher in Ecclesiastes probed to this same question and came to this conclusion: "Fear God and keep His commandments for this is the entire duty of man. Love God with all your being and your neighbour as yourself.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christianity is based on making you 'less than', not good enough and perpetually guilty.  The sooner you see that your chosen path is the garden variety the sooner you can strive to be a real person, a good person in your own right in your own image and something your kids could be proud to look up to .

@suarezelec2002

You state: "the Lord...does not destroy or reject anyone."

If that is the case, why did "the Lord" destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, and why did he destroy the world of Noah's day?"

Interestingly, Jesus spoke of these accounts as being historically factual. So even Jesus spoke about the fact that "the Lord" does destroy the unrepentantly wicked.

The fact that "the Lord" has allowed the Devil to remain in no way proves that he will not, at a future time, destroy the Devil. "The Lord has good reason for allowing the Devil to remain and the fact that you do not know what the reason is in no way proves that he "does not destroy or reject anyone."

11. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

What should we be?  Hmmm. I think we should be productive.  I know I always feel better when I'm productive, whether it's cleaning my house, writing, walking, planning a vacation, whatever.  Even relaxation is productive.  Stagnation and idleness are brain killers.

We should be love which creates understanding, peace, joy and connection.

We should be outspoken and silent, reflective and visionary, humble and confident, giving and receptive, honest and kind, intuitive and spontaneous, communicative, light-hearted, and content.

I also think we should grow things - plants, animals, kids, ideas.

1. sailboat profile image57
      sailboatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been reading down this thread, and I find that yours is the answer that resonates the most for me. I especially like "we should grow things..."
      That is so true and when I think of what God wanted for us, that is where we started. God made us gardeners. I really like the idea that gardens are not just for plants though, that we can grow kids and ideas.
      That is what I think we should be, born in the image of the creator, we should be creative.

12. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

The ideal human is supposed to be free to be  wink

13. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

I would say the supreme in human development is when both an individual and his or her neighbor regardless of their method of thinking can agree that he has perfected the art of love or constant concern for his or her neighbor and dedication to his or her personal progress.  So long as the ability to grow in these matters is unlimited and remains so he or she has achieved perfection.

14. Jaggedfrost profile image61

there are beings that exist for the only purpose of enslaving others to their ends but that doesn't really mean that it is our purpose to be enslaved.  More likely it is a fate that we can choose if we place our self in the path of people or beings who would love to use us to their ends.  I believe we do have the will and power to resist any such efforts if we are willing to bleed for our freedom if necessary.

15. FloBe profile image64
    FloBeposted 13 years ago

I believe as humans we should strive to have integrity. If everyone would try to be as honest as possible, respect others for who they are, love each other at least as much as we love ourselves, be true to what we believe is right...perhaps then we would have a safer, more productive, less violent world within which to prosper and flourish.

1. Happyboomernurse profile image84
      Happyboomernurseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a profound and oh so true answer.

2. kathryn1000 profile image61
      kathryn1000posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this

16. Jaggedfrost profile image61

And how do you suggest we enforce such ideals? hmmm?  There are way too many reasons in this world why that way of living just doesn't seem fun to some people?

17. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

There is no 'good enough' That's a measurement of someone's standards and judgement.

For me- acceptance with where I am in my life; focus on my spiritual path and my relationship with the Divine; all else unfolds as it is meant to unfold. 

When I step out of the way of my own good, my potential flourishes.  When I attempt to control, it withers.

18. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

It isn't possible to be "good enough." People are so fickle and caught up in a media-driven ideal that acceptance by most is a utopian dream that will never be achieved. Fact is, most people will not like you. A few will. It's those few that should have meaning. Maybe that's why so many are glued to their computers and TV screens. Perhaps that's why we wear headsets or we're glued to our cell phones; we want to drive out the unpleasant masses who push, yell, and scowl as we meander with glazed eyes in the great public.

@foreignpress

You state, "Fact is, most people will not like you." On the contrary, I find that I like most people I meet and that most of the people I meet like me.

If you personally have found that "most people" you have met do "not like you," then I think you must have a problem.

19. Jaggedfrost profile image61

You are right Denise and self discipline works for me too.  I would rather govern myself then have anyone else do it for me.

@Jaggedfrost

You really believe that you would rather govern yourself? That's one of the basic problems with society as a whole,

Individuals like you believe that you are capable of just governing yourselves and not having anyone else set any standards for us to meet.

And look at the world that has been created because of this type of thinking.

20. Timstown profile image60
    Timstownposted 13 years ago

An ideal person would learn to accept death, but attempt to live life to it's full potential and live their dreams during the time while they're alive.   They would be dedicated and focussed.   They would be caring, towards both themselves and others.   They would treat their body right.   They would be understanding and slow to anger.  They would help others to accomplish the things they've accomplished themselves and overcome the obstacles that they've already gotten past.   They would be happy and content.

That's my vision, at least.   Even if these all sound like good things, can anyone really say there's a universal standard?

21. rcrm89 profile image65
    rcrm89posted 13 years ago

Having a positive influence on the world, however big or small, in whatever way your inherent gifts best allow you to do so.

22. Ruchira profile image73
    Ruchiraposted 13 years ago

God made us in abundance so that we can help out each other in times of sorrow and joy. Humans are Social Animals and they will be happy with each others presence. We all are drifting away from our duty since we are focused in other arenas and this is causing depression in many...

23. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 13 years ago

You are already it! Earth is 93,000,000 miles from the sun-if we were 5 million miles closer, we'd burn up, 5 million miles farther we'd freeze. Our rotation is just enough where it is not too hot nor too cold for a day at a time. Earth's angle is tilted 23 degrees. That keeps the poles sustaining life through balance between condesation and freezing. Our atmosphere, 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen-if it were 50/50 a lightning bolt would torch the whole place, more perfect balance to sustain human life. The same creative intelligence that saw fit to create the whole universe balanced included you as a part of that infinite process. The items you see as "one-sided" events are your lack of chosing to see both sides as ALL things have them. You actually ARE perfect, just as you are! Dr. Mike

24. illeagle profile image60
    illeagleposted 13 years ago

Thank you all for posting. I enjoyed reading your varying thoughts.

I brought this subject up because it occurred to me that the cause of every unwanted experience that is attracted into a person's life is brought about by their own sense of inadequacy. When I feel inadequate, I am basically begging the universe to punish me for not being 'what I am supposed to be'. If I feel adequate, I command the universe to reward me. It seems so simple and possible to solve every social issue with this understanding.

What we are 'supposed to be' is love....true unconditional love. That's what we are. I love you all. I may not know you personally, but I know you intimately. I know your heart, your true heart and regardless of what 'you believe' about it, I KNOW that it is filled with 100% PURE LOVE!!!

So, I guess the only thing there is to figure out ,,,,that eternal mystery,,,,,, what exactly is --- LOVE? smile

1. toknowinfo profile image71
      toknowinfoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love is a feeling that has no boundaries. It is bigger  than ourselves and is timeless, ageless, and embodies a spirit that is connected to all living things. Love can endure even  when there is nothing else. Love sees no flaws and elevates us to a higher level than anything else we could ever experience. Love empowers us to press on when we won't do it for ourselves, but for the sake of others. Love makes us vulnerable, yet it gives us power. Love takes us beyond our human shell and connects us to the greater universe. Love is special, yet universal.  Love makes us feel good and creates a chemical reaction within us that gives us strength, and
      euphoria. Love is gift we give another, yet we
      feel the gift too. and of course, we need to 
      remember to love ourselves too. Love makes us sing and love makes us dance. Love is
      whatever you imagine it to be.  Love is pure whether it is for your mate, or   
      your children, your family, your friends, your
      pets, and for yourself, the love 
      of God, or the appreciation for something you
      cherish. Love is gift for our
      existence. Love will never run out of supply.
      So give love, share love, talk
      about love, write about love, sing about love
      and share your love. The more 
      you give, the more you get. Love is not a mystery, it is a wonderful feeling 
      that grows and changes, and will always exist for us, no matter how old we get. Love is anything you want it to be. 

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4184943.jpg

Thank you so much for your definition of love. I don't know if it could get more perfect than that!!!

@illeagle,

This refrain about "unconditional love" is so tired. There is no such thing as "unconditional love."

Are you going to love the unrepentant pedophile that molested your child, or you for that matter?

I doubt that very much. Of course our love is "conditional," and anyone who states otherwise is simply stating a lie.

There is no such thing as "unconditional love," so we should stop right here and face that fact.

I do not love evil or the people that willfully perpetrate it, and there are many individuals that purposely perpetrate evil against their fellow man.

I see you are consumed by your own 'moral' ego. Until you discard the false human concepts of 'good' and 'evil', you will not understand the truth. If you humble yourself and look deep within yourself, you will see that you are being driven by a false sense of inadequacy. This is 'the serpent's game'. This is how 'satan' get's us to do his will. This is why 'God' did not want Adam and Eve to eat the fruit of the knowledge of 'good and evil', because it is false knowledge. 'Satan' had to get Eve to feel inadequate, like there was something more or better for her, that paradise wasn't good enough, to get her to eat his lies of 'good and evil'.

I pray, Dale Michaels, that your God will open your eyes and guide you to eat from the Tree of Life which bears the fruit of the knowledge of Truth.

And yes, I do love the unrepentant pedophile and I was molested as a child. I can love these people because I understand that behavior is triggered by emotions and emotions are generated by beliefs, so it is not the true person that is harming others, but a deceived person whose false sense of inadequacy is driving their behavior. With that understanding, we can conclude that neither punishment nor force can change behavior, but an acknowledgment of an error in discernment pertaining to what a person believes about themselves and a correction of that error. Hence, the teaching of confession, forgiveness, and repentance.

Only 'unconditional' love can transform the self-deceived. To condemn and punish only empowers and sustains the problem.

25. Jo sif 1992 profile image60
    Jo sif 1992posted 13 years ago

There are no concrete qualities a person should posses in order to be "good enough".People have got to where they are through their skills of adapting to their environment. For example : A gangster who is considered "good enough" by his peers will posses completley different qualities than a "prime minister" will to be considered good enough by his peers.

What im trying to explain is there is no-one you should be, just take your life as it comes... it appears your using your concious mind too much to decifer how to be and what you need to succeed. Often to think about such life matters conciously is more of a hindrence than a help.. it distorts your thoughts, your conscious is there to solve practical problems. It is no good making rules of who to be for yourself, rules will never work in every situation and every person will find themselves in too many to find a rule that works every time !

Thanks, Jo sif 1992!

The 'conscious mind' insight is enlightening.

26. smelloftruth profile image60
    smelloftruthposted 13 years ago

My gut feelings tells me that to be an ideal human, I must be concerned first and foremost to be of help to others, when the need arise and if i can help.

Warning! Be discerning of 'gut feelings'. They are usually generated by delusional 'moral' beliefs. Fear, sorrow, shame, guilt, and anger are all generated by false beliefs. Concepts of 'good and evil' distort our discernment and trigger emotions which generally lead to destructive behavior.

Also, (as if I am an expert) guard against 'do-gooder syndrome'. This happens in people who have eaten the fruit of the false knowledge of 'good and evil'. While appearing to be 'good' outwardly, they inwardly (consciously or unconsciously) pray for atrocity just so they may be hailed as the 'helpful heroes' when calamity strikes!

There is no greater threat to our lives and liberties than those who claim to protect and preserve them.

27. EricLynn mylifeQs profile image60
    EricLynn mylifeQsposted 13 years ago

Authentic is the only way to be.
    If it's "not good enough" for some others, so be it!
    It's their issue, not yours.
    Be Authentic, with integrity and hold your head high with your heart open.

28. guy1973 profile image56
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

The person should be a person of integrity, have humility, must be tolerant of others no matter who they are, must treat people as he want to be treated,must be free from anything that holds him from reaching his potential,and last, he must enjoy life and take risks.

29. pharmacist profile image88
    pharmacistposted 13 years ago

Interesting question.  Of course, our generation is not the first to ask it.  Many religious leaders in the 17th century came together and in 1648 wrote a catechism which began with this question:

"What is the chief end of man?"  In other words, what are we here for?  What are we supposed to be doing?  What is the meaning of life?

The answer they proposed was this: "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

This is the first question and answer from the Westminster Confession of Faith.

30. Jarn profile image61
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

We are meant to be livestock for the alien slaughter ships, which will be here soon. All you healthy guys and gals who smirk about going to the gym three times a week? Yeah, you're prime sirloin and the first up the slaughter chutes. Mwahahaha!

31. Gabriel Wilson profile image92
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 13 years ago

We are meant to be the best that we can be, regardless of what influences us in our lives. True to ourselves and others. Believe in ourselves and others. Realize failure is only failure when we choose to give up and glory is only glory when it's shared.

1. profile image57
      Sieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

32. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

COMPASSIONATE

1. AngelTrader profile image59
      AngelTraderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Refreshing but also sad it took so many replies before it was mentioned! Compassion is one of the key emotions we, as ethereal beings, visit Earth to experience.

I would also add empathy, another emotion sorely lacking in so many people.

1. Julie2 profile image60
        Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely correct. There are so many things lacking within human beings today. It scares me to think that I have to depend on todays youth to take care of me when I grow old.

33. profile image0
    Mpho Mokobiposted 13 years ago

AWARENESS.
    Awareness will allow us to make the internal changes required to live the ideal life. We already have everything that we need to live the ideal life. All that is lacking is Awareness of the abundance surrounding us, awaiting our acceptance.

1. plcarpe profile image69
      plcarpeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Young children never ask why they are supposed to "be". They just ARE. It is society that tries to get us to conform to some standard of being born, going to school, get a good job, retire, get old, and die. A child has the ability to use imagination to turn a cookie into a car, or a broom into a horse. My primary source of happiness is just BEING, the art of allowing life to unfold and embrace it. For work, I have reverted back to what I naturally did as a young child--got the whole neighborhood pretending we were in movies. Looking backwords, I can see every facet of my existence was naturally moving me forward to be a screenwriter, which I resisted, but once I let myself be free to make mistakes, to write whatever, instead of getting caught in perfectionism, I experienced JOY and HAPPINESS, which I in turn have to give to others. Now, I bound of bed excited by what great and new thing is going to happen. But then again, I see all things as contributing to my wholeness and becoming a real person, and have survived many tragedies and indignities to find the joy of life.

1. profile image0
        Mpho Mokobiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE this. It's amazing what happens when we stop chasing after life and start BEING ALIVE.

1. profile image57
          Sieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is simply being though? By your definition, it seems you presuppose that we are objects; machines that do whether what we do is beneficial or not. I agree that thinking too much on what to do and how to be is a mistake, but we mustn't allow ourselves to candidly do what comes naturally; not in the sense that it would be unhealthy to follow ambition formed at a young age, but in the sense that adhering to such without periodic examination would be self-deceptive.

34. austinlyan profile image60
    austinlyanposted 13 years ago

We should be kind to others. We need to show this by forgiving others when they do something wrong to us.

35. Nursey profile image60
    Nurseyposted 11 years ago

Marisa Wright is a perfect example of the ideal human. ♡ ♡ ♡

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really hope you are a troll and this isn't your real personality.

1. Nursey profile image60
        Nurseyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But I like her so much and she really is perfect in every way. What is a troll? I know troll dolls but that can't be what you mean. ♡ ♡ ♡

36. profile image57
    Sieposted 11 years ago

This thread needs a revival.

The ideal human is one who has complete control over himself and his desires, one who listens intently, gains knowledge constantly, does perpetually, never ceasing, always aware, always awake, one who is willing to see an endeavor through, one not easily distracted. Such a person only sees what is relevant to his or her current goal, but also keeps in mind what might be useful for future goals. Always efficient, always productive, forever achieving. He or she is at an understanding of what needs to be done and does it without question. They are resolute, they are absolute, though not to the point of blindness. They are the perfect example of awareness and action, the epitome of being-for-itself. This is the ideal human.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)