I Have Three Viral Hubs Per Week...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (44 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

...and every single one of them is because of using an MFP.

On average now, I see (at least) 3 different hubs go viral (which can vary from 100 to 500 extra visits, sometimes more) each week. All of these views come from Pinterest. Not from me, but from visitors who pin my MFPs to their own boards and have enough interested followers to get it reshared multiple times.

If you're not using them yet and want to avoid being totally reliant on Google... worth starting!

1. Good Guy profile image84
      Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I pinned every hub of mine, but my traffic has not increased.

WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're not using any Made For Pinterest images smile

Made For Pinterest images?  What is that, can you teach me?

I have a hub on it on my profile smile

Thanks.  Just read it. From my understanding there is no special MFP pictures, but we create a high quality picture preferably with caption and quality editing.  Am I on the right track? 
              You are simply awesome with website knowledge.

Yes essentially, but it needs to be a caption that makes users want to both save it AND click.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have been pinning mine and at times I get a lot of extra views., not quite as well as you seem to be doing though.

Higher Google traffic usually converts to higher pins. But I did my first pin over a year ago now, so it's been increasing with time.

The more MFPs that are sitting around on Pinterest, the more chance people will see them and repin them smile

3. davidlivermore profile image93
      davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I pin all of my hubs, though I know not all of them are MFP images.  But I am working towards that with my hubs.  Some of them that are MFP are helping increase my traffic, though.

4. younghopes profile image66
      younghopesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are simply awesome WryLit, i have really learnt so much from you not just about MFP but also about your amazon sales hub too. i would be happy if you could please review one of my sales hub and let me know if i am doing anything wrong here please. Can i post a link here to my hub?

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt:  As I have mentioned before, I now use MFP photos on every hub and have gone back through most of my hubs to add more.  While I am not getting a handful of repins and a very small number of additional views, success has been limited.  I think what is missing here is that most of us do not have your ability to "tease" the audience.  Also, your topics are fairly specific to young mothers, etc...so topic, I think, matters also.  Furthermore, the artful way you work your photos really attracts the eye.  However, I have tried some of these techniques and yet....Everybody here needs to take a look at your MFP articles to see what I'm talking about.  You are exceptionally good at this, that is for sure.

You need to play with Picmonkey more and experiment. Your text looks like an after thought. Pinterest likes photos, not big bright boxes of colour.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Wrylilt:  I have been trying to work on that.  I do use Picmonkey a lot but I find that the wording on photos does not show up well on hubs unless I make the letters bigger. I try to use larger photos when I can, but not all of them are like that.  Today I went through every single hub and updated those that I could.  I try to match the wording with the hub, which I assume I am supposed to do?  I have cut way back on framing, so we'll see if this goes better.  This just seems an endless, fruitless task right now!  Yesterday I got  four Pinterest views!

6. helene_c profile image62
      helene_cposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much WryLilt - this is great advice. I updated on of my hubs yesterday with a MFP image and pinned it and had over 80 views overnight. Amazing!

I already use Pinterest a lot, so I am going to start focusing on Hubs on topics that are popular on Pinterest (making sure they are google friendly and quality too).

You have such a wealth of knowledge. And great to see another Aussie!

7. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi WryLilt! 
      You've always had such a wealth of knowledge-it is truly remarkable and I am suitably awestruck!
      Anyhoo,  I have never heard of MFP, and dear Lord, I spend most of my time these days on Pinterest. 
      I'm currently off to your profile to read up on this mysterious bringer of success-viral hubs are unknown to me-so far!
      Many thanks, my old friend,
      Laurel

8. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

I went into my hubs, reworked a lot of my pix, posted a bunch of them on Pinterest and am starting to get some views.  Nothing viral, but nonetheless views...so it is starting to work for me!  Thanks.

I think some of your biggest issues are:

1. Your text is too small. Choose images with big spaces you can use, and use it. On Pinterest, you want people to be able to read the text easily on the feed.
        2. Your text looks like a late addition. Work with the shape of the picture, curve your text around it, work with the same colours.

9. Hikapo profile image77
      Hikapoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Wrylilt, I have been getting some pins now. Your MFP tutorial really helped. Thank you for helping!

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

From what I've read/understand about Pinterest, there are concerns about losing control of your copyrights...so i don't/won't use it.... if that's costing me, oh well...it will save me from copyright battles down the road.

Pretty sure we had this discussion previously and I explained all the reasons your copyright is fine.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes.. if you use an image that has a creative commons license or free to use license and allows derivatives, then when you take that image and put a catchy slogan on it, it becomes a derivative of the original image and will avoid any copyright issues.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't there an issue that when an image got repinned, the license or copyright information disappeared?

Ah yes. This is why I always use free images that don't require attribution.

11. New Understanding profile image59
      New Understandingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks WryLilt.  I love reading your great advise!  I've adjusted some of my hubs with MFP's and re-pinned them with a teaser....hope I did it right!!  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens (hope to do the rest tomorrow)

2. vespawoolf profile image92
    vespawoolfposted 10 years ago

One of my Hubs went viral from Pinterest this week, as well! I'm very pleased. :   )

Good job!

2. WryLilt profile image87

Good job!

3. pattygayle profile image82
    pattygayleposted 10 years ago

Might I ask, what is an MFP?

4. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Made for Pinterest image that you put on your hub for pinning to Pinterest.

5. ossmedia profile image58
    ossmediaposted 10 years ago

Great tips @WryLilt   I will definitely work over it .

6. kansasyarn profile image84
    kansasyarnposted 10 years ago

I learned something new in this forum today!  Thanks for sharing the information in your hub.  It was very educational.  I'm going to give MFPs a try!

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I had a Squidoo lens go "viral" through Pinterest. I got 42 views in one day, and no more after that.

I've uploaded this to Pinterest with a link back to your article. Feel free to add it.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8187988_f248.jpg

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Wry. What I don't understand is that I have an image with text on that hub, which I had put on Pinterest, but it is no longer there.

The image is no longer on Pinterest? Haven't had that happen before!

8. agilitymach profile image94
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I have one to three hubs go "viral" on FB ,most weeks with 100 - 500 extra hits a week.  In the last week, one had 1,500 extra views and the other 350.  The 350 one goes viral every month or so as a new "group" of Facebook users "discover" it.

I only have about 20 - 25 "viable" hubs.  The rest are creative writing hubs or book review hubs that just don't get hits.  I will eventually remove them from featured status myself.

I think social media is very important, but one does need to know where their niche audience hangs out.  I get some Pinterest views - enough to make it worth my while.  However my audience is networked HEAVILY on Facebook.  That's where the competition agility peeps all keep in contact with each other from across the globe.  My peeps don't hang out on Pinterest because they are looking for social interaction - not pictures or quick "how tos" in the kitchen.  They want to post how their dogs are doing in competition and read how their freinds' dogs are doing in competition. Pinterest absolutely serves as a great way to reach the mommy market, but it does not work successfully for all niche markets.

That being said, when I finish my next hub on general dog training and want to market it to a general audience, you can bet I'll turn to Pinterest first.  When I write my next hub on how to prepare a safe dirt surface for a dog agility trial, I'll be turning to my hundreds of agility followers on my Facebook Fan Page who will be interested in that topic. big_smile

I'm not at all dissing MFP images.  I am saying that it's important to know what social media your target market uses, and market there.

I do agree to a certain extent - maybe MFPs aren't best for this audience. I would disagree that your target audience doesn't hang out there though. This was the first search I did: http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=agility%20dogs

You'll see that there are quite a few which have likes and repins, especially further down.

Maybe instead of just aiming for external Pinterest traffic (through MFPs), you should start following the leaders on Pinterest and interacting with them. Then again, I don't know what your strategy is - you may already be doing that smile

1. agilitymach profile image94
        agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am trying to break into groups, and it has helped traffic. smile  There is a small agility community on Pinterest (when compared to FB).  They seem to be a less agility educated crowd generally, but they do exist.  Because of this my more general articles like  "What are the Best Agility Breeds" do better on Pinterest than FB where my more detailed articles do well. 

It's a learning curve to know what article will do better where.  I do post everything on both sites, but FB is my main traffic source by way far.  Pinterest is slowly improving and is worth the effort.

9. Good Guy profile image84
    Good Guyposted 10 years ago

Hi Wrylilt,,

I don't seem to be able to go to the link source when I click "pinned by" or "onto" boxes.  There is no other link icon to click on Pinterest.  I tried on my personal Pinterest profile page, still the same.  Not getting anywhere.  I am baffled!

You can visit the source by clicking the image itself.

Thanks WryLilt,

Silly me.

10. KitchenBuyersAid profile image76
    KitchenBuyersAidposted 10 years ago

What is an MFP...I can't say what my first thought was...and can't get it out of my head either..

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

An MFP is a photo you either create or use from Public Domain sites that you modify by using a photo editing program such as PicMonkey.  You create interesting text and place it on the photo with the hopes that it will entice somebody to repin the pin, read the article related to it or share the pin or the article with others.  WryLilt makes gorgeous MFPs and they pay off for her.  Take a look at her profile to see what I'm talking about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)