Accolade for earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

We have several accolades for different achievements. But no accolade  is given to indicate  a hubber's earning level.  I think it will be nice if HP gives an accolade if one reaches or attains a certain level of earnings. For example, you can give one when a hubber earned $ 1000 and above with the display like "XYZ has earned 1000 $ income through writing hubs".  I think a criteria can be set for allotting this accolade like earning of minimum 100 or 1000 dollars. The level of accolade can be increased as his earnings progress like 2,000, 3,000 and 10,000, etc.  I fear there will be great resistance or arguments against this from the earning members for fear of certain problems. Still it will be a practical as well  motivating idea. This will give a sort of confidence to writers to stay and earn from HP.  Please discuss.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a ridiculous idea! I must say that it would be worthless as it  may be years before someone got the first accolade!
      Get a grip- nobody is getting rich here!

2. Sue B. profile image94
      Sue B.posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I liked the idea of an earnings accolade although I do understand the amount of concern this idea received. I suppose the read over # times accolade could hint at how much someone is making.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I would prefer not to have an earnings accolade.  The cash is what motivates me.  Besides, there is already a number of views accolade, which pretty much would provide the same information.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

That is the worst idea I have ever heard on this site.  In the name of sanity why would anyone want to tell an army of spammers, cheats and copiers from across the globe what they are earning?

Absolute madness.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Definitely not a good idea. Why should one want to advertise their earnings like that? I can't see any real benefit, but as others have pointed out I can certainly see the disadvantages.  Might as well hang a screaming neon sign on the profile that says "hey! steal my content!"  - no thanks! smile

5. moronkee profile image70
    moronkeeposted 10 years ago

It is not necessary because it'll make some people angry and envious. Moreover, the bad guys could look for ways to steal from you.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I'm with the majority vote here - HP has long considered earnings a private matter - for good reasons.  There are vast differences in the types of writing on this site, and to its credit, HP encourages and supports everything from poetry to highly technical articles.  Earnings hinge on many things, and it would be counter-productive to make that information public.

A few years ago, the site actually published the type of information to which you refer, in an effort to promote the site to new writers.  There were several very productive and successful writers on the list, many of them who had begun to 'average' some impressive earnings.  Many newer members created accounts and started writing on the site after reading about the potential earnings.

However, shortly afterward, traffic across the site declined dramatically (Google regularly does bad things to sites like HP). So those earnings stories became outdated, and also became something of a sore subject for many people. 

It's best to keep that information private - there are plenty of accolades that already recognize productivity, the total number of views and other element. Leave it at that.

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's good to see you back on the forums Marcy. You have been missed.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Barbara!  I haven't disappeared - (completely) - I am just incredibly busy with some other things right now.  Teaching two courses, developing one for online use and started a second grad degree (to punish myself, I think).  So I don't have much time to jump in as often as I'd like. I sure miss it, though!

7. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

My intention is very positive.  Just to promote the site and attract more writers, this will be helpful.  As I have feared and stated some people argued against it. Then, I think what will better is provide an option to hide and display this accolade as one prefers. If you wish to display your earnings and to motivate new writers, you can proudly exhibit and if you wish to keep your earning confidential, you can select the hide option. I hope more people will respond to this request, even if positively  or negatively. Let this discussion bring some fire here!

8. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 10 years ago

It is no ones business how much another person earns on Hubpages unless that person wants to tell everyone, an accolade is a stupid idea and should never be allowed.
    I have to agree with mark this is the worst Hubpages suggestion to date that I have seen in the forums and it should never even be considered by the staff.

9. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Just: no.  Many people consider income a private matter--and for good reason.

10. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

There is no way to monitor earnings - I may get a badge for earning a few thousand with HP ads but that doesn't take into consideration my Amazon or Adsense earnings, because they can't be tracked. And also, it won't indicate the time period in which I made those earnings. What if I had a hub go viral and made 95% of that money in a five day period?

Sites like Redgage let you see people's earnings (Or did - I heard they're closing?). But I don't see any real benefit in it. Overall I think it would annoy people more than anything, and discourage those who weren't making money.

11. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

There is no way I want an accolade for my earning level!

Are you really proposing that trollers and scrapers sift through accounts to see which hubbers have the highest payouts on hubpages in order to copy them?

This is the most ridiculous suggestion yet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)