Issues with getting my hubs featured

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Lynne-Modranski profile image81
    Lynne-Modranskiposted 8 years ago

I just completed my first year on hubpages.  Until recently, I haven't had any issues getting my hubs featured.  Just a few tweaks coming from Squidoo and all was well, but recently with every hub I edit, I get a lovely e-mail from HQ saying, "Your hub could be featured . . ."

Now, it's time to edit all of my Christmas hubs cause folks are starting to look for their holiday ideas, and I'm honestly afraid to start.   The e-mail says that my hubs have spammy elements, but all of the links are relevant and I've cut them down to only one or two per hub!  All of them have at least five text modules full of relevant, proofed info.  I'm at a loss!

While I appreciate all feedback and comments, the last time I posted this kind of question, I got a lot of, "It might be because of . . ."  I honestly don't have time to change something that "might be" a problem.  I need some definite answers from HQ (e-mails in the past have not resulted in help).  I don't mind making changes because I know the powers that be are just trying to get us in the google rankings.  But I have to know what's required if I'm to be productive.

Here is one that was just fine (for a whole year) until recently:

http://lynne-modranski.hubpages.com/hub/devotions6-2

Thanks!

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is a fantastic hub except for one thing, the title may be considered misleading.  If I read the title after a search I might think it was for a business group or any kind of group. Be more specific. Other than that, it is a great hub. I'm not a moderator, but I think this would help.

2. Elsie Hagley profile image69
      Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just had a look at your article, looking good to me, but "Devotions in your e-mail" asking for an email address on HubPages may not be allowed.

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True.

3. Au fait profile image85
      Au faitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wish you had finished the sentence "Your hub could be featured . . ."  I haven't received that message so I don't know for sure what it might say.

After checking your hub over I would say to follow the advice pstraubie gave you about breaking up your paragraphs just because people get tired of large blocks of print when reading online.  I doubt they're preventing your hub from being featured, however.  Also Barbara Kay had some good suggestions regarding the title, but again, I doubt it's the cause of not being featured.

I noticed you have at least 6 links that can take a person not only away from  your particle/hub, but at least 3 of them take your reader away from HubPages entirely.  Those links are likely to be the cause of the Spam accusation.  Too many links will do it every time.  Even though only 2 of them seem to be selling something, the other one still takes people away from HP if they click on it.  I didn't notice if there were any links embedded in the text of the body of the article, but if there are it will only compound the problem.

The reason everyone says try this or that is because we all have to guess when moderators take issue with our hubs and refuse to feature them.  They can sometimes even unpublished them. 

We have to try and figure out what it is that offends because there aren''t always any solid guidelines beyond reading the learning center.  It's impossible to cover every offending contingency in the learning center.  You can try emailing Team and asking for some specific guidance and you may or may not get it. If you do your answer may be a couple days in arriving.

Generally spam relates to links that take people away from your article and especially away from HP's site.  When moderators count the links, even any links on photographs you may be using by permission will count.  Get rid of the link to Devotions in you email.

Did you put the links to your own hubs about animal devotions and the other one in a link capsule?  If not, put them in a link capsule and see if that improves the moderator's view.  If they didn't try the links they may not know they go to your own hubs

Aside from contacting Team and asking them to spell out what they are taking issue with, I don't know what else to tell you.  Hope you find something useful here.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Instead of asking the other writers here, why not just email the team and ask them to explain specifically what you are doing wrong?  That ends all of the guessing, saves you time and that's that!

2. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 8 years ago

You state that you do not want replies if they say
    it might be...
    I can tell you after looking at your hub you linked us to that one reason is (I am going out on a limb here as I do not work for HP as a supervisor or anything)...there is too much solid text. Divide capsules into smaller parts and head those, much like you would subdivide a book into chapters.
    Hope this helps and if not best to you.

3. Babbyii profile image74
    Babbyiiposted 8 years ago

Lynne, I've looked at your hub several times and the only thing I can surmise is perhaps HP now has a problem with your personal books being promoted in the amazon capsules, along with the additional information about the availability on Kindle,etc. Just something to think about. You're trying to be helpful, but perhaps HP views that as "spammy". That's all I can see Lynne.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

You invite people to join an email list - I don't know if the mailing list company is on HubPages' whitelist. If it isn't, then that could be the "spam element".

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I vote for the same reason Marisa has brought up.  This is exactly what HubPages deems spammy.

5. Lynne-Modranski profile image81

I appreciate all off the feedback, but there are a few problems with all of it.

- I have that same mailing list (or one of two others -  all mailchimp - very reputable mail service - and connected with Wufoo and survey monkey, that I believe that I've seen Hubpages use) on at least 40 other hubs (and they are featured)
    - I have a similar title on all of my more than 30 other devotion hubs (and they are all featured)
    - I have similar length text boxes on those same devotion hubs (all featured)
    - I can't think that Hubpages KNOWS simply by electronic scanning that the books I promote are my own, and truly, how can there be any more "relevant" product.

I've tried changing the titles on many of my hubs.  I have removed every link except the ones that I believe I'm better off leaving in even if I stay unfeatured (if someone comes to that page from another page that I've linked it from, it's a helpful link)

And it could be that after someone from HQ actually LOOKS at them they end up featured, because some I've given up trying to figure out end up featured, but it's frustrating!

Here's one that I've tried over and over again:
    http://lynne-modranski.hubpages.com/hub … gtherace-2

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I don't think the fact that the books are your own makes any difference whatsoever. 

However I'm not sure that ANY email list sign-up is permitted on HubPages.  It was a question that never even came up until people came over from Squidoo, who'd been in the habit of using mail list links there.  It's never been discussed as far as I'm aware, maybe an email to staff is in order.

You do have a broken link in that other Hub, to your virtual store.

1. Lynne-Modranski profile image81
        Lynne-Modranskiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for the broken link heads up!!!!  I'll get on that!!!

6. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

I've gotten the same one too, especially when I update some of them. Like Timetraveler2 said, I've emailed HP on the "spammy elements", which is usually grammar and/or ad capsules that's not related to article for me.  It couldn't hurt to email  Matthew.

7. Lynne-Modranski profile image81

If Kristen got an answer, I might try again.  I've tried in the past with no response, so I just assumed they get too much mail to answer individual queries.

Thanks!

8. Greg Heffley profile image61
    Greg Heffleyposted 8 years ago

Who the hell is Kristen?!

9. Greg Heffley profile image61
    Greg Heffleyposted 8 years ago

Ain't heard of her/him for 1 decade or so?!

10. Charito1962 profile image87
    Charito1962posted 8 years ago

Hi, Ms. Lynne. Recently, I also had a few hubs (from Squidoo) that were unfeatured, but after reading the HP Learning Center – and applying the rules – they’re now ALL re-featured!

What I did was minimize my Amazon products to only 1 or 2, and removed all my links. (I believe these were the spammy elements.)

No doubt, your hub "Inspiration for your Meeting or Group" is beautiful!
    But try removing more links. Or better still, remove them all! That may help it to be re-featured.

11. Lynne-Modranski profile image81

Thanks.  I can't=remove all the links.  I make more money from the links than I do the hub.    And I love  giving away my writing but if I didn't make a little i would need a day job.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Which is more important to you, the links or the Amazon capsules?   If it's the links, remove the Amazon capsules and see what happens.

12. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 8 years ago

You need to click on the help botton. You will find the answer to solve your situation with your hubs. Good luck miss Lynne.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)