Whoa! I just want to tell everyone...

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (85 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Submit your articles to Reddit.  OMG...I just went from 8 views on one hub up to 33 in under an HOUR.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Woohooo ,thankyou Lita

My goggle account is seriously way down , an has been for 3 days!

p.s Wont that be considered duplicate ?, thanks again.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Ohhhh crap I had the wrong site.!!!!..forget my last post.

3. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How can you see where it goes up in a hour Lita?

1. AsherKade profile image58
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and I can't find my article anywhere on REDDIT...http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:rSENV_ZaIdN2_M:http://itodyaso.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/confused-monkey.jpg

2. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BP: On the My Account thing on hubpages.  You can see the number of views per day per hub.  When I submitted my Ghost Hub article, it went up from 8 views to 33 or something within, actually, minutes.  I watched.

Silver Rose: I guess I'm happy to be read...and to obtain traffic.  I wonder if there's a sweet spot, though, with certain kinds of articles, that those at Reddit might be inclined to click on ads/links.  The ones I submitted are political, travel, and my one beauty essay thing that is popular.  I am a prof. writer...those were my better pieces.

I did that and got more depressed....
          lol

2. Silver Rose profile image67
          Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing wrong with wanting to be read. It's an absolute rush to see the stats rise and know hundreds of people are reading!

With the ad clicking - no sweet spot on Reddit I'm afraid. Think about how you behave when you are reading for fun (and all those folk on Reddit are there because they've got nothing better to do on Sunday night) - you simply read, perhaps vote something up or down, leave a comment and that's it. Whereas if you have an actual need - say your hoover has broken, you search for information, come across a page about hoovers that has an ad for a keenly priced hoover, you might click the ad.

You will probably get clicks on your travel and beauty hubs if the visitors come from the search engines (i.e they have specifically searched for those topics), as the ads will provide solutions for your visitors. Reddit people won't click. As for politics, readers rarely click ads on those pages whether they come from search engines or from the social sites. (Does reading about Obama inspire you to click on ads? Me neither, though I like him!)

4. jonwenberg profile image59
      jonwenbergposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks much Lita.

1. jonwenberg profile image59
        jonwenbergposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, it worked. 21 new views in just a few minutes. Thanks again.

5. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awesome,..Thanks for sharing,..I'm submitting my link's now. HOOAH !!!!

2. profile image0

No, Eaglekiwi, as far as I know, you just submit your link, and if they like your article, they drive traffic your way...  And wow, apparently, it works.

Fantastic smile

3. all_time_guy profile image60
    all_time_guyposted 14 years ago

can i know something about reditt

1. profile image0

http://www.reddit.com

And then you know as much as I do, wink

4. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Be careful not to spam reditt.  They will ban entire sites, if its users are spamming, by only submitting their own stuff or stuff from that one site.

1. all_time_guy profile image60
      all_time_guyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have just submitted mine. lets see.

2. profile image0

Well, they have picked up everything I've submitted so far, and I'm getting points (?)  And am featured or something in travel for my Ghost Signs Hub.  I'm not sure what 'spamming' would entail(?)

WHO knew this would help so much! Wow.

Yay im doing it smile

1. blondepoet profile image66

I want to do it to as well as post my links am going to try.

Yay BP go go go smile

Yea baby yea I submitted one, they said I have to have wait 8min to do another,I may have a white chocolate cookie while I wait, I cannot believe they actually turned out, well the baking paper is stuck to them but you can't taste the paper when you eat them, will send one over.

oh yum , my cupboards are like mother hubburds cupboards bare !!
                was tryin to have no sugary things around ,dummy me, all I did was eat all the chocolate melts , hahaha

Omg I did that last night that is why I did not have enough left for the recipe hahah.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Yay im doing it smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sites like Reddit were designed for people to recommend excellent sites they had found on the net.  The intention was to create a place where people could come and find the cream of the crop.

I'm pretty sure the TOS prohibit you recommending your own sites.  If you're found out, you get banned. If several members from one site (e.g. HubPages) recommend their own stuff, the whole site gets banned. 

In practice, promoting your own site on Reddit, Digg, Stumbleupon etc is widespread.  Most people hide their own stuff in a smokescreen of other sites.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
          Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And this is how they get huge traffic benefits from these sites.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Ok this is gonna sound dumb , but how do I actually submit ?
    Where , how etc? thanks (Im on the site) , just cant figure where Im sposed to be clicking next.

6. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I'm THERE! My score sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Sending too many of your own in a short period of time, and not submitting other people's stuff (from other sites), are what can be viewed by them as spam.

People usually recommend submitting just a few of your own in a short period of time and adding some other stuff too.

1. profile image0

Why other people's stuff?  (I only submitted 4...they were all 'picked up' or something (?)  ...I dunno, it's like a feature.)

Yep , they are fine with every 6mins smile

8. AsherKade profile image58

hope this works...why does my score suck so much....seems to be the issue since my fan list button broke....

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:hN3t0n0m4272RM:http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn232/veilstrup/Angrybear.jpg

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hope they get the fan list fixed soon. 

I just plugged in one of my Hubs & I have to wait 7 more minutes before submitting another.  I think I'll try two smile

hahhahahhaha...

Poor AK can I do anything to help??

rub my feet.....http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:T23DGZUYL043IM:http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/ugly-toenails.jpg

2. blondepoet profile image66

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
              AK I was in the middle of eating my paper coated cookie aghhhhhh

you were eating what????

Nasty!!

I baked some cookies but the paper is stuck underneath or should I say I was eating til I saw those long curly toenails. Those toes could cure people with feet fetishes for life aghhhhhhhhhhh

Wow this is like a little community gathering we are all doing it together I have 6min left for another...counting down.

9. Silver Rose profile image67
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

Caution: it's only worth submitting to social bookmarking sites if you want to get your hub indexed faster than normal (because the search bots practically live on those sites), or if for some reason you are having trouble getting indexed at all.

But the traffic - it's completely useless. Reddit readers don't click ads (why would they, they are simply reading to pass the time).

When I first joined Hubpages, I submitted my Sarkozy/Carla Bruni hub to Reddit and got about 700 hits in a single day - but no clicks. That crowd doesn't click ads, and that type of hub (celeb/politics) while being fun to write, isn't a money generating niche. I know better now!

Worth submitting to social bookmarking sites, are you speaking of Google & Yahoo?

1. Silver Rose profile image67

No! DON'T submit to Google or Yahoo whatever you do! Let them find you.

I was refering to social bookmarking sites - Digg, Reddit, Delicious etc. If you are having trouble getting your hub indexed, it's worth submitting to them, as when the searchbots crawl those sites they will pick up your URL and index you. Just be warned not to get too excited about the traffic, as they don't click ads, they simply read and leave.

So it can't actually harm your site can it apart from them not clicking ads??

1. Silver Rose profile image67

As far as I know it won't harm your site at all, and will get you indexed faster (though I have read some articles which say that your Adsense account gets smartpriced if you do it too often).

I posted on this thread mainly because the OP was so excited about traffic. Just don't get too excited, because that crowd is tech-savvy, and they are reading just for fun, so you won't see any money from it. Just a big spike on your stats (which is fun if that's what you are after instead of money).

Thanks for the advice SR, ohhh I need to have a 10min siesta lol.

But Im not getting any money now anymore anyway...
                Oh whats a poor bird like me to do!

A garage sale.

http://static.pyzam.com/img/funnypics/f/1402.jpg

2. Jane@CM profile image61

I've read so much information, my head spins.  Some say to submit your URL to google, yahoo & bing...

Me too, Wordpress digit, reddit, Martha, Arthur, bookmark, yahoo, social, blogger, dogger, link, backlink, this, that ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I need a panadol.

2. Silver Rose profile image67

You need to think of things from the point of view of the search engines - they are looking for relevant stuff that other people have recommended by quoting in their articles with a backlink.

If you submit your site directly to Google, Yahoo, Bing etc, it says to them straight away "self-promotion", and what they do is sandbox you for a bit and wait to see what happens to your site (will you get backlinks etc) before they list you. So submitting directly to the search engines hurts you.

The social bookmarking sites are essentially recommendation sites - people are supposed to submit material they have found which they think is good. So the search bots tend to index most of what they find there, (what happens afterwards depends on whether you accrue further recommendations in the form of backlinks). But many social bookmarking sites are conscious that people use them for self-promotion and are taking steps to ban domains. Mixx and Propeller for instance no longer accept hubpages at all, because they got spammed by hubbers.

So only submit a page to a social site if it hasn't been indexed for some reason (though most hubpages get indexed straight away as Google likes this site - the only issues seem to be on topics that are saturated such as weight loss, where people who make hubs on those topics are struggling to get indexed).

Hope this helps.

10. AsherKade profile image58

damit...http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:YDMQR-_mw_1dbM:http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2008/08/scowl.jpg

11. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Lita, lita, calling lita to base, are you there?
    Roger over and out .....

12. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Well it doesnt appear anyones clicking my adverts period, so thats why nothing ventured nothing gained is my motto for now ,thanks for all the info though. smile

1. candice5 profile image58
      candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That site is totally full of Trolls, they spend all day downvoting, frankly if you are looking to revenue, it is unlikely you will get any. Trust me.

no one seems to like my crap there either....but I continue to get traffic from my main site, google, and of course other hubbers...

1. profile image0

Pooooor Asher Kade.  You've got a cool little house hub though, and a nifty crime story website, smile.

Oh no that would mean our hub score would go down if they down voted.

1. candice5 profile image58
          candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is what they do down vote down vote ad niostrum, even a poor lady with cancer giving away two kittens very genuine got downvoted.
          They are just doing it to loose peoples revenue. DONT GO THERE

13. AsherKade profile image58

I'm trying to diet ppl.....shhhhhhhhhh.....http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:iBeKUIRFZ67grM:http://www.lilith-ezine.com/articles/health/images/Obese-Man-03.jpg

So am I...
      http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/ciubi/f/funny0287.jpg

bp, no way you could look like that....of course, I stole that hairy crotchy one too...

AK I don't think I would ever become big even if I tried, all my family are small lol.

14. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Thanks for all the information.  I'm going to bed.  I'll check my stats in the morning.  For now, two of my hubs have red arrows pointing upwards, one hub has one red arrow & one hub has two red arrows....and statistically nothing has changed through out the day. LOL - I may never get it.

15. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

My second batch of cookies do not have the paper stuck to it. Yea baby yea I have my mojo back now.

16. AsherKade profile image58

yes, maybe it's the narcissism in me, but seeing numbers hike would be thrilling....

17. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth.

18. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Sites like Reddit are great but plesae don't only submit your stuff on them.  Be good members there are well.  Look at other stuff on the site.  Submit videos, etc.  Sites like Reddit, Tagfoot and Digg have caught on and will ban any links from Hubpages.

Propel has already done so.  Social bookmarking is a great way to drive traffic, but you must be good members of any site your join to get traffic.

1. profile image0

I always tend to be a good citizen, bgpappa, wink  And thanks for mentioning the other sites, too.

19. Tom Cornett profile image79
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

I put a couple hubs on Reddit.  I scanned around a bit and read a few comments on the funny section.  Many of the comments are extremely vulgar.

20. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Thats great Lita. If you do the things rite, such sites can send thousands of visitors in an hour. I have achieved this quite a few times.

1. profile image0

Cool.  Well, I didn't know.  I've mainly been on here for exposure or fun, I guess...but my priorities are changing.

So, can you tell me with that traffic whether it is beneficial for your earnings?

Not really beneficial for earnings as it is neither organic nor targeted traffic. One of my websites have received traffic from them on quite a few occasions but that traffic don't click your ads. Neither they buy something. I hardly received any click from about 15000 visitors some site sent me.

1. profile image0

So what is the best bet?  Formula of writing commercial topics: health, finance, etc. with some questions answered but not all?  And product reviews?  What drives clicking traffic, in other words?  And thank you for answering...

I you ask me, then my formula is to choose topics I love writing about and find interesting, topics I have knowledge about.
            Yes I had suggest people to leave some questions un-answered as this will temp people to click ads. But this is for only those people who want to achieve some short-term goals.

For those who have long term goals I will suggest them to write a great article with all questions answered. As this will increase one's readership, especially if you own a site people will come back to see if you have added some fresh content and will refer their friends to you and then those friends will further refer their friends and so on. In the long term you will have tons of traffic. One site of mine is penalized by Google but still I manage to get more traffic than some of my competitors and quite a few is direct traffic.

Every topic generate traffic and clicks. Its just that some have higher PPC and search queries. But I will suggest you to write on topics you can write best about.

EDIT: Some people have gained success writing product reviews but I can't write them as no one knows if people will be buying that product after 10 years. I think long-term, queries about health, sports and other general information will always be there and you can then(after many years) make more blogs/hubs instead of writing product reviews.

EDIT: BTW clicking traffic is the one that comes in need of something. So they either come from search engines or someone refers them in person. Traffic from sites like reddit is not interested in your content and product so they don't click.

1. profile image0

smile  Doing that.  Thank you.  lol  I know part of my problem is poetry...gotta cut that out if I want $.

Yea unfortunately, BTW I made an other edit above which is

"EDIT: BTW clicking traffic is the one that comes in need of something. So they either come from search engines or someone refers them in person. Traffic from sites like reddit is not interested in your content and product so they don't click."

21. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Submitted. I will see what happens.

22. Bredavies profile image62
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

Wait what kind of website is reddit?

23. profile image0

Ultimate Hubber:
    So, in essence, it is ultimately about fulfilling needs.  You just have to figure out what they are and how to meet them.  hmmm...research, research.  And thanks again.  smile

24. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Its seems a long shot to know if someone is going to click or not, and Ive treated it like Facebook , added it left a comment ,read a couple of things and left.
    Networking right smile

Thanks again Lita,I wouldnt have known unless you bothered to post it up!

25. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

If you search for 'Hubs' under any of the Reddit topics, it will return a lot of links.  There's lots of Hubs been posted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)