Black Slaves Were......Immigrants

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8415868.jpg
    Dr. Ben Carson, Secretary of HUD, indicated that Blacks in America weren't slaves at all but immigrants like other immigrants who worked for less.  Dr. Carson maintained that other immigrants endured the same harsh treatment in America as Blacks did.  According to Dr. Carson, Blacks in America didn't have a monopoly on being mistreated.  Your thoughts?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As immigrants become citizens of the country immigrated to, I'd have to say that Carson is trying to make a political statement rather than a factual one.

Also not real sure how anyone could have less "earnings" than beatings, rape and forced family separations through being sold to new owners.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it was the non-slave "immigrants" that he was referring to that earned less. As I listened to his talk, it was the other way around. He spoke of the immigrants that came through Ellis Island first, and how hard they worked and how little they earned. Then, he went on to the part about those that came over in the bottom of slave boats that worked even harder and earned even less.

Although poorly stated, and I am not sure I can go along with calling slaves immigrants - he did have the work and earnings parts right.

I am not sure it was a political statement either. In the parts of his talk leading up to the controversial segment, and in that segment too - he was referring to the American dream of the opportunity for all to make a better life for themselves and their children, but he mostly focused on the working hard for their children part.

Youtube has the full 35 minute talk to his deptment's employees.

GA

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, that explains the earnings, anyway.  But I'm not sure at all about the opportunity for slaves to make a better life for them and their children; outside of a few runaways there was only one small period in time where that was possible vs hundreds of years of slavery.

Hey bud, I get your point, and I agree. Dr. Carson strikes me, (only through his public exposures), as a sincere and honest guy with a lot of personal integrity. But he sure seems to have a problem articulating some of his beliefs. (and for some of his more controversial ones, he should refrain from even trying)

GA

1. profile image0
              ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually Dr. Carson has qualities that are truly rarer  than ever in America , He's polite , a nice guy ,   His level of intelligence is above and beyond most of us "on the streets ",    It would be great if all leaders had his  presentation . He just doesn't  fit the  Face Book mentality of most of you .

Well damn ahorseback, still lumping me into a group are you? A leftist 'snowflake' one at that.

I have not disparaged Dr. Carson. I spoke highly of him. But I did say there were caveats to my opinion. (a choice that doesn't seem to occur to you)

Explain to me how your view of his superior intelligence accepts his belief that Joseph built the pyramids for grain storage.

GA

2. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I admire Dr. Carson for this. Although I wouldn't argue against Wilderness' points I think what he is attempting to say is a valid point. All faced adversity. Of one kind or another.

3. profile image0

No , Dr, Carson   didn't say  " blacks weren't slaves at all ",  it is inferred  from his whole speech by those who've made "slavery "  the most populist , hate primed ,message of the modern day times ,    To have especially a black man discuss history of all  immigration and NOT call out slavery as the number one immigration issue ------TODAY ?  OMG .  I'm sure Dr. Carson  knows his history and probably  far better than most today !  His version simply doesn't fit todays alarmist style.

He's just brilliant  enough to know all of it Gm. Williams , not just todays "version"  !

4. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Slaves are not 'immigrants' in the classic sense. I don't know why Dr. Carson said that?

It reflects on the Trump administration to put a neurosurgeon with absolutely no experience in the knowledge of the Department he has been placed in charge of. Conservatives always complain about the concept of quotas and tokens. Are we returning back to a spoils system away from one based on merit? It says a lot about what Trump actually thinks about Carson and the Department for which he is now the head.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

As Pres. Obama also called slaves immigrants of the past ;  Is it fair to only single out Dr.Carson ?   
    Being a little partisan are we ?

1. crankalicious profile image87
      crankaliciousposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a Ben Carson fan, but I think this thing is being blow out of proportion. President Obama made a similar point - basically that coming from another country presents shared challenges. They both attempted to use slaves as an example, but with caveats. Carson isn't a professional public speaker and just didn't articulate the point quite as well as he could have.

I certainly agree with you it is being blown out of proportion. When his full address is viewed, it is clear that he was making a point about sacrifices good folks were willing to make for "The American Dream."

I think it is that he is a Republican, a Trump supporter, and part of Pres. Trump's administration that he is being attacked for his remarks. While I agree that he didn't do so well making his point, only someone primed for attack would jump on this issue.

GA

3. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13442296.jpg

1. profile image0

There you go again , One more liberal  label , Dr. Carson's   Insane ,  call out a label -win the debate every time ?

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

I didn't get this at first ,No wonder Blacks are enraged ,  It took a constitutional amendment to legitimize Black slaves U.S.  citizenship  - and illegals are allowed to simply steal theirs ?
    Think about that .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)