Interesting fan request

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I got fan mail from a guy saying he likes my writing and wanted to be a fan. And he then said "wanna join your fan club and i expect same from your side." I don't fan people just because they fan me.

I notice he got a lot of fans today so he must have said the same to others.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's when an in-house messaging system would be good (so you don't have to give up your email address) and you reply "Unfortunately I don't like your writing, so I can't become your fan".

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've often thought that too, when people leave a fan comment I'd like to reply to.

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hate those, I get them too , talk about cheezy well, we'll see how many comments all those devoted fans make lol

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, isn't that what you wrote to me Lyrics?

1. profile image0

cute baby, cute

1. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh wait, I think I wrote that to you......

1. profile image0

lol lol lol

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

he forgot to add "capice?"...

http://i49.tinypic.com/211p638.jpg

the worst thing you can do to someone you solicit is go "i EXPECT the same from YOU".

sometimes i don't answer people's mail. i know it seems rude, but as Darkside said, there's no way to protect your email address if you do.

4. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will occasionally ask POLITELY if people would like to look at my hubs, but make it clear there is no obligation to be a fan. Of course if someone doesn't like what I do then they shouldn't be a fan. I'd hope that people are my fans because they do like what I do, if I were to find out they didn't I would be mightily dissapointed! Anyone that deserves fanship is evidently trying to claim false credit, and should be treated with silence smile

5. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got something similar.

6. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have some fans that are like that but I accept them, then even sometimes fan back, maybe it is mechanical on my part to do that... besides I don't want to be labeled especially the newbies as snob.  smile

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, you know some will do anything for a fan. I don't fan those nor the ones who come in the forums asking or asking for someone else. that's a really cheap way to gain fans if you ask me.
      there are so many great writers that never come into the fourms.
      that's who I like to fan.

8. profile image51
      Sheila watsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Isn't that a really smart move? So we are gonna get blackmailed? And i say Wow!again.

9. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't even have the gall to make a request like that...get fans on your own merits...geez.

10. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some might call that "thinking outside the box".

11. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

demanding oh,

2. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

'and i expect the same' almost sounds threatening. Nervy anyway.

3. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I got that one too!

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

lol darkside that is funny. I'll have to try that sometime if I get a message like that. big_smile thankfully have yet to get one.

5. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I deny those requests too , what a pain...

6. RGraf profile image88
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

I got that one, too.  If you want me to consider join, don't put that on there.  I ignore the "demand".

7. N. Ramius profile image72
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

Just curious, do you accept the fan request and don't fan back? or ignore them completely.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm debating whether or not to publish his fan mail.

8. RGraf profile image88
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

I accept the comment but do not fan back.  I fan because i enjoy the writer.

9. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

I get that all the time. But usually the request for mutual fanhood is a bit more subtle. Something like: 'I invite you to be my fan' or 'would be great if you took a look at my hubs as well' or the like. Sometimes I'll fan someone back as a courtesy, but usually it's because I genuinely take interest. But I always at least take a look. But I never tell people I'm 'expecting' anything from them. Well, not on HP anyway:)

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I've ran into a couple of these and before I approve them I would visit their hub and see if I was actually be interested in being their fan. If I am, then I approve the fan. If I'm not, then I don't fan them.

I know for a fact- I am a fan of more people than those who have fanned me. I find interesting aspects in lots of people, who don't find what I have to say interesting. I'm find with that and I don't let it bother me.

As for those who are rude or expect something in return are not people I want to know, but it's interesting to understand where they think they have a right to 'demand' or even 'ask', someone to return the favor of fanning. It's ridiculous that some one is dumb to put inside any email- "I'll fan you if you fan me" type of things.

This is immature, beyond all recognition, because it seems like they don't understand why they themselves came to HubPages to begin with.

Then again, I find lots of things interesting and different aspects of people are intriguing. So, I'll leave it there.

Thank you UW for posting this, so other Hubbers can see it coming.

11. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I accept everybody, but I don't fan back
    and I never fan anybody that I don't like the way he/she writes.

12. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

What are fans for anyway? I'll fan someone if they write good stuff that interests me. I have made a few friends on Hub Pages and we share experiences and learn from each other. But if I had 1000 fans how could I keep in contact with them all? Also, hubpages doesn't allow us to delete fans.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67

Depending on the fans you have, they can be part of your success here, there page views and comments will certainly help. big_smile

You can always delete a fan or quit a fan club... HP dont give restrictions with that...

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sue, it's a contentious issue.  Some people see the fan system as more akin to the "friends" system on other sites, and think that if someone fans you, you should reciprocate.  I don't agree.  A fan should be what it means - someone who likes your work.  I have over 1000 fans yet I'm a fan of a fraction of that number.

As far as I'm concerned, I have no obligation to keep in contact with any of my fans.  As you say, it would be impossible.  If people want to join my fan club to read my Hubs, I'm very flattered but that's as far as it goes.

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I knew, when I saw the title of this thread, what this was about.

lol  I got that one too (as you may have seen on the guy's fan list).  I didn't know what to make of it.  Ordinarily I don't just automatically fan back.  I may look to see if someone's writing is the kind I read, and if it is I'll fan back.  Sometimes I go back later and look. 

I didn't know what to make of this guy's approach and didn't particularly appreciate the word, "expect" - but I was in the kind of mood that thought, "what the heck".  Then, though, I felt bad about all the people I have missed just because I've been fanned at times when I'm busy and don't think to go back.  I wrote of the "expect" to maybe someone who doesn't speak English very well and wrote off the overall approach to his newness.  lol  (and yet, still not sure I'll stay a fan  lol  I didn't like it, when all is said and done.)

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67

I think I just did what you did and looking back hehehe that was funny big_smile

14. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

go on

15. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Some people are cheeky.

I had something similar weeks ago and didn't approve or deny it. Just left it there.

16. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Ooops, sorry I didn't see this earlier. I started a thread on the same subject... same wording and same lower case "i" was used on mine, from the expectant one.

Whatever people decide to do, I think this backfires on the perpetrator in the form of lower hubscore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)