UPDATE: who's left and who's staying?

Jump to Last Post 51-72 of 72 discussions (196 posts)
  1. gramarye profile image61
    gramaryeposted 14 years ago

I'm fairly new here, but I'm planning to stay around for quite a while and hope to get to know more of you better!

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

I'm here to write Hubs.  I have never understood why people get so upset by what happens in the forums.  Also, if you have put in a lot of hard work creating Hubs, why take them down again and potentially lose traffic and income?

The Forum is a good way to interact with other Hubbers, but I think that you should stick to getting your emotional support from your family and friends.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...unless it's to experience the ego boost of your fellow hubbers on the forums going "Pleeeeease don't leave, we love you!!" when you announce your imminent departure.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to not get the "announcements", but I think, for people who've made closer friends than a lot of other people do, I now "get" why some people let others know they're leaving.  If you've ever seen how a lot of people seem to start worrying if one person "mysteriously disappears", I can see how someone with a lot of close pals may actually want to avoid such "hoop-la" by simply mentioning he's leaving.  I guess there's a difference between "simply mentioning it" and "more than that".  (Then of course, there's always "just flouncing" - and then coming back the day after tomorrow under a completely different name.  lol   but that's a whole other thing.  lol  )

1. profile image0

Yeah, but why take down your hubs (or announce that you're doing so)?  Why not just say something along the lines of "Hi all, have decided to take a break due to [insert reason here]. I've left my hubs up and I may well be back on the forums when I'm feeling better but in the meantime, anyone who wants to stay in touch can email me."  Does the job just as well, but with a complete absence of drama.

Oh, I forgot - for some people it seems, drama is their raison d'etre.  Ooops, my mistake.

Sorry, I took a cynical pill with my morning coffee today lol

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my sentiments, Felicity!  The same could be said for when someone is banned - I know that's usually at a time when tempers are high, but it boggles my mind when someone deletes all their Hubs just because they can't post in the forums for a few days or weeks.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol   I don't really get the taking down of all the Hubs either, no matter how upset someone is (of course, not having taken my own - and usual - cynical pill today, I can think, "they must have their own reasons").   I would think it would make someone feel better to think, "I'm abandoning these Hubs, but I'm not above collecting the earnings they get. (Or even, "I'm leaving, and if anyone reads my Hubtivity they'll see I haven't been back here for five years.)  Somehow, to me, that seems more like a "statement" (for the person who wants to make one).  lol

3. beautyrose profile image60
    beautyroseposted 14 years ago

Hello! I think  most do not know me . I've been away and been lazy hubbing but I log in once in a while.

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey beautyrose, welcome back smile.

4. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Also, AE, thanks for the update on Ralwus. As for Tattoguy (aka Badcompany) I've just done an interview with him; not posting link here, but its on my page; has all the latest on him! smile

KCC, Gramarye, Emi, CMH, beautyrose and EF, I'm glad you're all here to stay....! smile

5. SinBox profile image60
    SinBoxposted 14 years ago

Hi all

6. beautyrose profile image60
    beautyroseposted 14 years ago

Is everyday miracle still here also bad company?

7. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 14 years ago

I'm still here..and staying.  However, I'm relocating to a different house soon, so I haven't had much time to finish a couple of hubs I'm working on.  I'm kind of slow and perfectionist as well.  Once I get re-settled, you should see something new from me pretty soon.

A big hello and thanks to everyone who's decided to stay.  Maybe while you're still here you could check out my 2 hubs, if you haven't already.  It's always nice to read and respond to comments. 

I'm not making any money from this, it's really just a way to inform and improve my writing skills.

1. myownworld profile image74
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

timorous: happy to meet you and will be reading your hubs soon! smile

SinBox and Gogranny, welcome here and hope you stay!

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kiss big_smile

8. GoGranny profile image59
    GoGrannyposted 14 years ago

GoGranny here! I am still fairly new and I am awestruck by my score so far! I am really glad to be on HP's. Hope to be around for a long while!

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

She wasn't here very long, but I did feel bad to see that Lecie has had to leave because of serious health problems in her family.

I actually thought Lyrics was back - but I guess I missed something.

Did read that mega1 is taking a break.

beautyrose, the last I saw everyday miracles was working on something else for awhile.  That was several months ago, I think.

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lecie did say she really regrets having too leave on her thread and wishes she didn't have to.  Her situation is hard.  I just hope that it all works out for her and her family.  I must say I admire her strength.

Mega is taking a break?  I didn't see that.

10. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I arrived late, but I'm here! Also staying!
    I haven't really been able to focus on new hubs lately. I've been hyper focused on music projects, and hopefully will be able to write some hubs about the new stage musical with Aya Katz, and post some youtube vids of the songs. And other projects.

Wish I did have time to write more. I have some ideas but they'll have to wait. In the meantime, I check the forums when I can, which is pretty hit and miss.

Glad to see many of my HP friends are still here. Sad that several are gone. Hope they show up again soon...

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

don't you think for some it's just a game for attention? some really leave because they want to go somewhere else or need to attend to life matters, but then there are the others who are still here as someone else. especially any of them that had a lot of attention from others. it's very hard to 'hide' someone's personality and style of writing. it's really kind of sad or pathetic depending on how they use their 'new identity.

12. myownworld profile image74

smile I'm glad you're staying Daniel.... the key is to stay focused on the right things....so best of luck with everything!

And yes, Lisa, EF, Marisa and rebekah, I totally agree. I think one could write a series of hubs on:
    - reasons WHY people leave
    - HOW they leave (soundlessly or with lots of drama!)
    - the way they end up returning - puppets and all!

I guess the forums will always be in a state of 'flux'! Try checking in a few months later, and I'm sure the same repeat threads, the usual welcome and goodbyes will be there... and we can count on the religious threads to stay of course! wink

13. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I agree with Lisa, Rebekah & EF also.  The drama of one posting that they are leaving is in many cases exactly what they want - the drama - these people get two things, the attention they want and or need & a bigger fan base from those who feel sorry for them.  I'm not speaking of those who leave because of medical or personal reasons, but of those who announce for attention and they want to be begged to stay.  If someone wants to leave - let them go, if they have a close relationship with a virtual friend, email them.

Its the internet, not the coffee shop down the street.  People come and go - the turn around since I started is fairly large.

My guess is they pack up their hubs because they are not making money on their writing & they want to republish else where and do not want duplicate copy. They also don't want hubpages to make any money off the ads on their hubs.

14. myownworld profile image74

Whatever reasons people have for leaving, at the end of the day, it's their choice and I'm sure it's much more complicated than we imagine. If a thread is started about it, as long as it's in the right category (hubber's hangout/sandpit) I personally don't mind. If we all were such rational secure people, I'm sure this world wouldn't have as many problems!

Besides, when all is said and done, more people end up staying....and I'm so glad about that! smile

But what fun would it be if we were all "rational and secure?" roll lol  I've embraced my personal crazies long ago. big_smile

big_smile yes!  .... 'problem/drama free' life and forums....but oh sooo boring!

2. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

15. myownworld profile image74

ok..since everyone is asking, who else has left: let's see..

left:
    - denno
    - stormryder
    - Pani though back as Andraste

Back: Lyrics

Banned: Tantrum and not sure exactly who else.

And since some were wondering, Ralwus, Misha and Hokey are still around.

Feel free to add....hopefully, lots are here to stay... smile

Thanks for keeping us posted MOW.  The comings and goings are difficult to keep track of.

16. myownworld profile image74

lol! yes...and may I also add: sock puppet wars are officially over!

1. profile image0

Oh yeah?  Says who?

http://api.ning.com/files/ceK7jXpSWbo-Q3vEWMF9xpeBx7UKrHJQSRgTBXjQzywRZmb-XpF*w1RBD7wCCY215lHGnp-IpBtwaPUXkdnrQjSgyCGSw4h5/zombie_puppetmaster_lrg.jpg

lol lol

lol lol
        OMG! What a riot!
        lol

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70

Well, thank Heavens for small favors.  I wasn't sure I was ever going to see another thread without SockPuppet in the title.  lol  I did learn a lot though!

Gotta run... off to bathe the little ones, who I'm pretty sure got more lunch ON them than IN them.

I agree thoughtful....those forum wars taught me a thing or two that real life experiences never did!

Anyway, just wondering who else is missing in action....and still hoping most are here.....smile

17. myownworld profile image74

big_smile I don't mind...as long as we all learn to live in relative peace....! wink

so anyone else planning to leave or staying on?

18. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Pani is still here

http://hubpages.com/profile/Andraste

and me too!!

ok..great, will just edit that...!
      And glad you're here...and welcome back Lyr... Here's to fresh beginnings.....! smile

Anyone else missing, leaving or staying?

19. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Ill let you know if I find anything out MOW, but for now..Im leaving. I have to go buy pillows. maybe Ill see you later. If not, take care!!

20. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Just out of curiosity why all the concern about who is here and who isn't here?  There are a lot of people who frequent the forums but haven't made the list here.

No lists here jane..this thread is meant for everyone actually. Just lately lots of people in the forums were asking about who'd left, so this was meant to show just the OPPOSITE: that lots of us are staying! All meant in good spirit....smile

nice to see you're around Dr23....

21. Dr23 profile image60
    Dr23posted 14 years ago

I took some time off, but have recently started visiting and writing Hubs again.

I'm not really sure why I took the time off, I guess I just got burnt out looking at Hubs and visiting the forums.

Lots to catch up on.

smile nice to have you around...sorry to hear about your brother...and best of luck with everything!

22. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I'm staying. But, I do not plan on writing any more hubs for a while. I have too much family stuff going on. My brother has been in and out of the hospital with a brain tumor, and I just found out that my sister is coming from Florida on May 5th.

Maybe I should start my own limo service. I drive my family around enough. I could probably drive other's too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)