(Two Week) Weekly Topic Inspiration: Customer Service and Satisfaction

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (133 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Whether we’re working for a larger company, running our own businesses, or even just interfacing with parents (as a teacher) or readers (as a Hubber), we all provide some sort of customer service to people. How can we improve our skills? What mistakes should we avoid?

Share what you’ve learned from good and bad customer service experiences as part of this special two week Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge.

Don’t have a particular Hub in mind? Here are some search-friendly titles to consider using:
    What Makes Good Customer Service?
    How to Improve Customer Service
    Ten Tips on Improving Customer Service
    How to Improve Customer Service with Social Media
    Five Customer Service Training Tips
    Ten Customer Service Training Ideas
    Great Customer Service Training Activities
    Are Customer Service Courses Worth It?
    The Underlying Principles of Great Customer Service
    Lessons from the Best Customer Service Companies
    The Importance of Good Customer Communication
    What is Great Customer Service?
    Great Customer Service Quotes
    Customer Service: Best Practices
    Good Customer Service Practices
    What is Good Customer Service?
    Good Customer Service Skills
    Good Customer Service Examples

To create search-friendly titles of your own, follow the steps outlined in this Learning Center guide.

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Should you like your Hub to have a shot at becoming a Hub of the Day, make sure the images are legally used and properly attributed!

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What are you doing working Labor Day Weekend!?! Get out there and party!

1. Denise Handlon profile image87
        Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The customer is always right! Right? The title of my hub for this week is "The Customer is Always Right | Good Customer Service is Good Business" - http://marleneb.hubpages.com/t/333411

1. profile image0
        mjkearnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marlene
        Excellent hub and advice.The chap in the video speaks very well with a lot of sense. No wonder he is the CEO, Great job,
        MJ.

2. Suzie HQ profile image92
        Suzie HQposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well done Marlene!!
        Excellent choice of title, well covered in this hub! Video is worth looking at for all interested in what makes a successful business!! Left comment on hub  - good job!

3. profile image52
      shadowchaserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://incomepart.com/ref.php?page=act/ … cod=120721
      An Amazing and effective way to Earn.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image94
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://cat-on-a-soapbox.hubpages.com/t/334809
      Explore how customer service is a business owner's "golden goose." See how small business often has an advantage over giant chains in spite of marketing budgets. Learn the keys to building solid business relationships through great customer service.

5. drspaniel profile image82
      drspanielposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://drspaniel.hubpages.com/hub/Custo … rvice?done

Was initially going to be ten tips on customer satisfaction, however it became clear that the Hub would end up becoming too long. I hope that you enjoy what I've researched, and take part in the quiz and poll I've included as well! Thanks for this topic.

6. profile image0
      whowasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I took the title 'The Importance of Good Customer Communication' because I really believe that communication is the key to success in all aspects of a professional life and especially in running a business. I also wanted to have the opportunity to give a fresh angle on all the 'tips and techniques' that are commonly promoted for 'faking' good communication skills and suggest that a more authentic approach is not only more ethical and satisfying but more effective, too.

Here it is:  http://whowas.hubpages.com/_1j317b0d6wm … ation?done

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Oh, what the heck. Thread tweeted.

lol  lol

3. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 11 years ago

Here's my input for this week's Topic: "Rules for Good Customer Service" http://kdubarry03.hubpages.com/hub/Rule … er-Service

In this hub, I decided to write about customer satisfaction, dealing with customer issues, and good communication skills. I chose these sub-topics because, with my experience as a shift manager, I have noticed that these three traits are key to maintaining regular customers and thus regular business.

Good one

Great read, well writen!!!

3. nancynurse profile image70
      nancynurseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought you did an awesome job with this hub. Your bullet points are well highlighted and you even have maps and a question poll , Great job. I learned some more writing skills from you. Thanks for posting!!!!!!

4. profile image0

Hi KDuBarry
      Awesome hub, what a job and truly well done. You will be the director of that company soon with your attention to customer service,
      MJ.

4. w1z4rd profile image59
    w1z4rdposted 11 years ago

http://w1z4rd.hubpages.com/hub/Customer-Service-and-You

This is my hub to the Weekly Inspiration. My experience draws mostly from the retail corner as I've been in retail leadership up to Store Management and I have seen some horrendous customer service and some phenoms as well. It speaks mostly to handling a customer issue but applies to many facets.

1. profile image0

Hi W
      Welcome to HP. It's a great community and you will enjoy it a lot.
      Good job on this hub and packed with good advice,
      MJ.

5. JakeFrost profile image61
    JakeFrostposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone, I am still fairly new to HubPages and thought I would input in the weekly inspiration.

I thought this would be a good idea as I have recently applied for the Apprenticeship Programme and my main worry is the first month and having to write about a title I have been given.

Hub of the Day is also a terrific achievement that I have always wanted to try and get, and I was told that the weekly inspiration helps to get your hub read by staff.

Anyways, here is my hub "What is Great Customer Service?"

I have mainly written about the basics of customer service and how to turn average service into great service.

smile  Good job

Well written with good observations Jake!!

3. profile image0

Hi Jake
      Great hub and well presented. You're on your way and I'm sure you'll make the AP,
      MJ.

6. zsobig profile image82
    zsobigposted 11 years ago

This is a great and inspirational question, needless to say I was inspired and lots of stories came into my mind that I have heard/read during my lifetime about how hard and funny can the life of someone who works in customer service be!
    In the following article I have tried to collect the best ones - I hope you will like it! smile
    http://zsobig.hubpages.com/hub/Great-an … ice-quotes

Great job, Z--lol

2. profile image0
      KDuBarry03posted 11 years agoin reply to this

excellent read!

3. profile image0

Hi Z
      Hilarious hub. Well done,
      MJ.

4. MarleneB profile image92

I'm still laughing! A fun hub to read.

7. Lipnancy profile image79
    Lipnancyposted 11 years ago

This week I wrote about customer satisfaction from the viewpoint of the affiliate marketer. Hope you enjoy. http://lipnancy.hubpages.com/hub/What-M … er-Service

Very interesting and useful info here.

great article Lipnancy, useful and interesting!

3. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Left you a comment!  Great viewpoint about customer satisfaction and the role of the affiliate marketer.

4. profile image0

You are soooo right!  People online want it NOW!

5. profile image0

Hi Nancy
      Great hub and very well presented. Good job,
      MJ.

6. MarleneB profile image92

Expert job on covering this subject.

8. Suzie HQ profile image92
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone,
    I am here again to give mt two cents worth for the WTI! I have worked in different Retail stores over the years and the one thing I am PASSIONATE about is Providing Excellent Customer Service so Bravo on the topic this week!!
    Here is my offering - http://suziehq.hubpages.com/hub/Great-C … tes-Gandhi
    I have taken a great quote from Gandhi and interpreted it . Enjoy!!!

Suzie HQ

Great job--you took my idea   smile

2. profile image0

Hi Suzie HQ

Awesome, stellar hub. Definitely HOTD material. Your passion for retail really shines through. Fabulous job and I can't wait for your next installment,
      MJ.

3. MarleneB profile image92

I really, really enjoyed the format you used to bring home the point of customer service; not just customer service, but GOOD customer service. Beautiful!

9. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

At 15, I learned how important it is to have business telephone etiquette skills in the workplace.  Since telephone communication is part of any business environment, everyone needs to master these skills.

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/Bus … -Etiquette

Good one, Arlene.  smile

1. profile image0

Denise, thank you!

Great read, spot on and great tips!

1. profile image0

Suzie HQ, thank you!  And I enjoyed your Hub, too!  Left you a message.

3. MarleneB profile image92

The phone is the first point of contact, so how we answer the phone says a lot about the company. Great advice.

1. profile image0

Thanks, Marlene!  And looking forward to your Hub on this topic!

4. profile image0

Hi Arlene
      Great hub, good job. Professional and polite phone manner is so important for business and poor use is a pet hate of mine,
      MJ.

5. profile image0
      KDuBarry03posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great job on this one, Arlene!

10. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 11 years ago

I did not notice that Customer Service is the Weekly topic Inspiration till I posted my latest Hub on the topic. What's more I have wrote a Hub on one of the search-friendly titles mentioned here.
    How to improve your Customer Service using Social Media? Online Relationship Management for Companies
    http://anamikas.hubpages.com/hub/improv … -Companies

11. Ruchira profile image73
    Ruchiraposted 11 years ago
  12. grinnin1 profile image69
    grinnin1posted 11 years ago

I needed a push this week, thanks for the inspiration! After having owned my own business and working for a few small business owners, I've picked up some things I think could be worth passing along about customer service. So here's my hub- http://grinnin1.hubpages.com/t

13. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone and fellow WTI-ers.

Haven't been here for a while but have been checking the topics. Decided to make a bigger effort this week so  here is my offering.

http://mjkearn.hubpages.com/hub/Excelle … f-Employed

MJ.

1. MarleneB profile image92

So nice. Your customer service tips will help any business go far in winning customers forever.

1. profile image0

Hi MarleneB
        Thank you for your lovely comments. I can't understand why some go into self employment, do and offer little and think others owe them a living. Most successful self employed work harder, deliver something of value and for the most part are a lot happier.
        Thanks again,
        MJ.

14. Rosyel Sawali profile image62
    Rosyel Sawaliposted 11 years ago

I finally found my topic to write about...

http://rosyelsawali.hubpages.com/hub/To … hilippines

Excellent job on this topic. I enjoyed the visual accompaniments.

1. Rosyel Sawali profile image62
        Rosyel Sawaliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your encouraging words Marlene! I highly appreciate it ^_^

15. beindustrial profile image65
    beindustrialposted 11 years ago

I love Suzie's hub:
    http://suziehq.hubpages.com/hub/Great-C … tes-Gandhi

Very good insight!

1. Suzie HQ profile image92

Thanks  beindustrial,
      Glad you enjoyed and took time to comment!! Appreciate it!

2. profile image0

Hi beindustrial
      Can't agree with you more. Fabulous job Suzie. Amazing hub,
      MJ.

16. zsobig profile image82
    zsobigposted 11 years ago

Thank you very much everyone, I tried my best! smile
    Your feedbacks mean the world to me!

17. dahoglund profile image71
    dahoglundposted 11 years ago

http://dahoglund.hubpages.com/hub/What- … ean-to-you

This is my hub on "Customer Service" which is about the attitude behind such service.

Important points here, dahoglund.  Enjoyed reading it.  smile

18. profile image0

LOL!  MJ, as far as I've seen of your writing, you are a shining star!  I am sure you will be stellar Apprentice and pick everyone's brains.  I do not understand that there were actually some AP dropouts.  If given the chance to learn this way, why not take full advantage?  I am sure you will do just fine!

1. profile image0

Hi Arlene
      As you told me before you call it as it is, which is what I like, but I think you had to much fairy dust this morning. "Shinning star and stellar". You are far too kind and gracious to this little short ass and I thank you.

The drop outs and the numbers have surprised me. You would expect some as the natural course of things but it seems more than that.

As newbies, we should be very thankful and respectful to be allowed to try our hand at something that others have trained for, worked damn hard for and consider their profession. They may rightly think that their toes are being stepped on. As with everything new I've tried, I never forget to respect those who have gone before.

I have found some of the attitudes to the AP quit strange. We are not only being offered free education but we are being paid to learn. Where else in today's world would you find such an offer. The whole AP is designed to help hubbers become better writers which helps them, the community and HP overall. I can't see how anyone can be negative about this.

I for one, run to it with open arms.

Thanks again Arlene for your lovely comments, praise and support. I'm also very happy if I can make someone laugh,
      MJ.

1. profile image0

MJ:

At $6 per accepted Hub, this is why I cannot understand why anyone would drop out!  WooHoo!  Getting paid to learn?  That's what apprenticeships are for.  In the past, I went through two apprenticeships while working on the job.  It works!  I understand that life happens, but you have to be so sure when you accept this challenge.  I mean, the rest of us are going for the online pennies the hard way.  For 6 months x 8 Hubs, $6 per is a very nice jump!  WooHoo!

1. profile image0

Hi Arlene and you are absolutely right. WooHoo! WooHoo! and more WooHoo!
          Some souls just don't appreciate a great deal when they hear it. I totally agree Apprenticeships work and whatever you are at, you have to earn your place.
          MJ.

19. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

Customer service seems to be a lost art, especially in government offices or utility companies where the customer has no choice but to deal with them. I'm basing this on my own experiences as being a customer.

What is good customer service?
    http://sherryhewins.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … er-Service

Good points here.  smile

I just realized I read your excellent hub and neglected to come back here to let you know how awesome it was. Great tips, for sure.

20. aDayInMyLife1 profile image89
    aDayInMyLife1posted 11 years ago

Hello,
    This is my first time participating in the Weekly Topic Inspiration, but the topic of customer service was very enticing. I decided to write a Hub on the customer service role of nurses and how they impact customer satisfaction. Nursing is very important to me and I realize that my interactions with patients make a lasting impression. I hope to provide useful suggestions for other nurses.

http://adayinmylife1.hubpages.com/hub/G … for-Nurses

Shortened Hub link:
    http://adayinmylife1.hubpages.com/t/3342c4

1. Suzie HQ profile image92

Very interesting, like the angle on Nursing, :-)

1. aDayInMyLife1 profile image89
        aDayInMyLife1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you and it seems my Hub has inspired additional customer service in healthcare Hubs smile

21. LisaKoski profile image79
    LisaKoskiposted 11 years ago

Here's my first hub participating in the Weekly Topic Inspiration. Hope you enjoy it!

http://lisakoski.hubpages.com/hub/5cust … ainingtips

22. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 11 years ago

This one's been up a while, so not newly-minted for the weekly topic. But it's just been idled, and it deserves a better fate -  imho:) A few more reads might help bring it back from the brink..

It's especially relevant to us Hubbers, too, the title being "Want better Customer Service? Write, Don't Call"

http://writeronline.hubpages.com/hub/Gr … rJustLucky

23. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago
  24. sholland10 profile image84
    sholland10posted 11 years ago

I finally finished.  Customer service is so important for big or small businesses to succeed.  Without it, they will lose customers.  Business must keep customer service at the top of their list. I am always shock when I see employees and even managers and owners who are rude.  In today's economy, it is no time to take any business for granted. 

http://sholland10.hubpages.com/hub/How- … rvice?done

Thanks,
    Susan
    (Sholland10)

Wonderful points, Susan.

Great tips. The video is entertaining yet to the point.

25. Brownie83 profile image89
    Brownie83posted 11 years ago

Better late than never? Anyways, I wrote about how nurses (and any healthcare worker for that matter) can improve patient satisfaction scores. I hope this proves to be helpful to healthcare and non-healthcare workers alike.

http://brownie83.hubpages.com/hub/10-Si … cores?done

Excellent topic-great minds think alike.  I wrote mine on health care as well.  smile

Wonderful and well-thought out tips for helping nurses understand the importance of good customer care.

26. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Here is my topic:  Customer Service in the Health Care System:   
    http://denisehandlon.hubpages.com/hub/E … are-System

I really enjoyed your hub and believe health care providers should read it for all of the helpful pointers on delivering great customer service.

Thanks Marlene smile

Informative and makes excellent points!

3. Suzie HQ profile image92

Informative and makes excellent points!

4. profile image0

Denise, you have written many reasons why I have remained with my healthcare system for years.  Also, when you are in need of something like surgery or any other treatment, it really helps to have faith and trust in medical personnel.

I agree.  Marlene...you're right.   smile

Thanks Suzie HQ   smile

2. Denise Handlon profile image87

lol   I meant Arlene, you're right, lol     Forgive me...smile

27. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

"What if,"  I already started to write a hub about this very thing, a few weeks ago--and put it on hold.  As of now, it remains yet to be published.  How to I get it into this queue for the WTI??

I believe you just follow the 'link here' at the top of Simone's list of possible hub topics, click the green 'answer' button on that page, then click 'make a hub about it.  You may have to abort the title you already chose, if that is done already, and rewrite a new title for this category here.    Congrats on your '100' score, BTW   smile

28. MomsTreasureChest profile image83
    MomsTreasureChestposted 11 years ago

This is the first time I'm participating in the Weekly Topic Inspiration.  I hope I have followed the steps correctly - I'm concerned because there doesn't appear to be a special capsule in my hub (when I clicked on "answer this question"  it indicated the completed hub would have a special link capsule in it).  Any advice or comment on this from a HubPages veteran would be appreciated.  Please advise if there is something I need to change.

The link to my Customer Service and Satisfaction hub is:

http://momstreasurechest.hubpages.com/h … tisfaction

Thanks!

I enjoyed your hub with all the excellent tips. I wish I could help with information about the "special capsule". I didn't know there was one in the hub. I'll look for it. In the meantime, hopefully someone will let us know.

Great hub, MOMS...I'm not familiar with any 'special capsule' eiather...I think if you really need this answer, email Simone or oen of the other staff.   smile

29. dahoglund profile image71
    dahoglundposted 11 years ago

The link below is my current submission. It's theme is to understand what is really on a customers mind. In some cases it does not have a lot to do with the immediate problem.

http://dahoglund.hubpages.com/hub/Ways- … rvice?done

Great hub about having respect for the customer.

I enjoyed this one, dahoglund.    smile  Good points.

30. profile image0

MomsTreasureChest:  Sometimes I click on the "answer this question" to establish my WTI, but you have to make sure that those first few sentences are the ones that you want on your Hub.  I usually answer this question and start a Hub when I am sure about the topic.  But you'll notice that Hub writers will completely bypass this step of answering the question and go right into writing their Hub and announcing its title on the thread.  I don't know of any link capsule.  I only look forward to any WTI topic that I can write about.  Get your article written, get it published and announce your work on the thread so that everyone can get a chance to read and comment.  You may like hanging out here on a weekly basis since the Hub authors are so supportive.

You are so right about the support of other authors, Arlene. Coming to this weekly forum is where I met you and other truly amazing writers. My first visit here was the start of a very enjoyable time on HubPages.

smile smile   One smile for each of you ladies.  smile  and one for Momstreasurechest, too.

31. profile image0

Marlene, someone told me last month that anyone can write.  No so!  But let me tell you something.  Since I have been writing since I was five, I can truly pick the winners, and I can pick the ones who won't get past writing a Hub or two because the "big money" isn't coming in.  Writing has to fit you like your best pair of jeans.  Otherwise, if you find yourself struggling all the time--forget it!  It's just like anything else.  Some people have the talent and skills, and others don't.  I read so much crap from so-called writers who just want to make the buck, but I am always willing to encourage talent.  I only follow 13 people.  As far as I'm concerned, when a writer puts out excellent work on a regular basis, and always shows growth, this is what I want.  I also look for someone who is gracious with readers.  Someday, I may be in line to see this writer as they go on a junket to push their latest book or screenplay.  I will have the satisfaction of saying, "I knew this writer way back when . . ."

I commend you, Arlene for having the wisdom of limiting the number of people you follow. When I first came to HubPages, I thought it was cool to follow a lot of people. Now, I'm seeing that's not so cool after all. But, I haven't the heart to "unfollow" people. Logically, I know there is no way in the world to follow a lot of people. So, I know I need to make the effort to click the unfollow button to give justice to the people whose writing I really treasure. Maybe I'l ease into it and unfollow those writers who haven't written anything for the past six months. Then, when I feel comfortable with that, I'll ease into unfollowing those who have not written anything in the past three months. I want to get to the point where I'm following people I can actively go and read their work on a regular basis.

Talking about the "big money". Now, that's a consideration all of its own. When I first started here, I was earning one cent a month for a few months, then, another month, five cents, then one day I earned ten cents. I was so tickled about that ten cents, because I sat back and realized... it's the internet! If I could earn ten cents, I could easily earn ten dollars, a hundred dollars, a thousand dollars, even a million dollars. Yeah, I know a million dollars is kind of "pie in the sky" thinking, but it's the internet and that makes it a posibility. Every month the earnings go up. I love seeing money deposited into my PayPal account. Every month is more than the last. I'm not wealthy... yet. But, I encourage anyone who is reading this comment to not get so bogged down with the amount of money they are making, but to take pride in their craft, knowing that as long as they produce good, quality hubs, the money will naturally follow.

My husband and I are working on a screenplay that we vowed to polish and pitch at next year's showbiz expo. We think it's a winner, but you know how writers are. We always think our stuff is exceptional. But, my daughter, who works with celebrities knows somebody who knows somebody... lol... Well, we got a preliminary read of our first draft from someone in the industry and have been asked to finish and submit our manuscript for consideration - no promises, we understand. If that person doesn't bite, it's on to the expo to see who will. So, who knows, you might be able to say you knew us when...

As always, it is good talking to you, Arlene. I'll let you know how I did with my hub housecleaning (unfollowing).

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93

Shouldn't there be a new topic up by now?

That's what I was thinking. I keep checking to see what it is.

I wondered that too.  I sent Simone an email to inquire about this...nothing has changed though, so I am assuming it will be a continuation.

3. Simone Smith profile image87
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My apologies, y'all! I meant to make this a clear two week topic, but forgot to mention that detail! There will be a new one this coming Monday. big_smile

1. Rosyel Sawali profile image62
          Rosyel Sawaliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I have been wondering about a new topic LOL ^_^ Thanks Simone!

3. profile image0

I am always cleaning house when it comes to followers, Marlene.  You don't know what these authors are doing, but when too much time lapses in between articles, I usually feel they have moved on.  Hopefully, to bigger and better things. 

I have decided that my role here on HubPages is to write and encourage others to write.  My retirement allows me to do this because the stress and the pressure of making the online money has been lifted from me.  Sure, the payouts are nice, but I lean towards the "applause."  I write because someone or something has inspired me, and I feel blessed to be able to do this. 

How exciting that you and your husband are collaborating on a project, and your daughter is in on the marketing.  I hope I get the chance to view your work with a tub of buttered popcorn and a huge box of Jujubees.  Wouldn't that be wonderful???  Anyway, those are my plans as I watch your progress!

Arlene, you do an excellent job of writing, that's for sure. You are also great at encouraging other writers. I, for one, is encouraged by you and I thank you for your inspiration. You have done well. HubPages needs you... I need you. Thank you for all that you do here and for others who write, but also for those of us who want to read GOOD content. Arlene, there are times when I have the need to pick up a book written by a great author and relish in that moment of reading. I get the same feeling of comfort when I read anything written by you. I actually seek out your hubs just to read something I know is grammatically sound and guaranteed to enhance either my writing career or my internal soul. Thank you for being here and for genuinely caring for your readers, which includes me.

1. profile image0

Thanks, Marlene!  As you suggested a long time ago, we need to establish our fan clubs.  LOL!

I think that's great that you are working together on a project.  I just finished writng my first play and sending it into a local contest held by the theatre arts council.  Top 5 that are selected will perform in Nov and the winner will get a small prize money.  My excitement was doing something that I have not done ever before.  The criteria was challenging, especially for a first time script writer: ten minutes or less.    I was very pleased with the end results and now can hardly wait until the end of the judging, early Oct.  I'm hoping I am one of the 5 selected, but it was fun no matter what!

1. profile image0

Denise, I hope you win the contest.  For years, my brother has had his plays performed in San Francisco and at at several universities.  For me, it was such a thrill to sit in the audience and watch the magic.  I've never written a play that involved a performance.  I can only imagine the pride I would feel to be able to entertain people with my work.  To have a real live audience, actors, a director, etc.  I still keep the posters and programs that advertised each of his plays.

Thanks Arlene, that is sooo cool.  smile   I used to participate in the h.s. plays and then during the summer at the community summerstock theatre.  However, it has been a very, very long time that I've been involved in the theatre at any level.     To actually WRITE a play was an exciting challenge in itself.    The play is based on events that occurred while I lived in the East Bay area.    smile

Denise, I really do hope you win the contest. It will be the greatest uplift you could ever imagine. I got the script writing bug when my pastor's wife asked me to write a script for the Christmas play one year. When I lived in the SF bay area, I was a member of one of those mega churches. The budget for the Christmas play was on the up side toward a million (I won't say exact numbers because they might not appreciate that), so you can imagine how big of a deal this was to me. I was freaked out to have that kind of responsibility, but the pastor's wife just looked me in the eyes and said, "Marlene... I have all the faith in the world that you will write and direct a great script... trust me on this." Well, I trusted her and I'm shamelessly patting myself on the back, because the play was a huge success. I mention that not because I want to brag (well, maybe a little), but to say I now know that if I put my mind to it, I can write a successful script. My husband and I are collaborating because I wrote a script and let him read it. He liked it. He didn't love it; he just liked it. But, he didn't leave it at that. He went to his computer and typed up some suggestions for characters and scenes. When I looked at his ideas I saw how employing his ideas would truly enhance the script. We started attending scriptwriting events and enjoying that world so much that we vowed to set aside time to get the script sold by the end of next year. We are fortunate that my youngest daughter is a professional celebrity wardrobe stylist (bragging again), in contact with people who could "make things happen" for us. My husband and I really aren't so full of ourselves that we think our script is "all that". We are just writers who want a piece of the pie and hope to get a crumb or two if the universe so grants it.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

SHUTDOWN

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oops, that was supposed to be directed at a religion forum.

Paradigmsearch slinks away...

5. Sherry Hewins profile image93

So, are we not getting a new topic this week?

1. Simone Smith profile image87
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've extended it into a two week topic, so we'll be getting a new one on Monday!

6. profile image0

Hope so, Sherry!  And I hope it's something I can write about!  Usually, if I don't get a WTI out by Thursday, the distractions take over.  And, away I go!  LOL!

Same here, Arlene. At this time of the week, I am usually tending to other things. I'm afraid I probably won't get involved with the WTI this week... unless it is something really juicy that I can't resist sinking my teeth into.

7. profile image0

Absolutely, Marlene!  People think that because I'm retired, I'm spending my time growing old in front of the telly.  They are so wrong, wrong, wrong!  There are not enough hours in the day for me, and that's the way I like it.

Arlene, do you find that you are more busy now that you are retired? I do. Before I retired, I worked hard - day in and day out. When I retired, I thought I would have more "free" time. I was so wrong. Right now, I've got phone calls to make, errands to run, there is a Synergy technician here right now, so you know I had to clean up before he got here, right? But, it's unbelieveable to see all the stuff that needs attention around the house on a daily basis. Now that I'm retired it seems like the chores have increased but the hours in each day have decreased. If I don't pop the WTI out by Wednesday, it's highly likely it's just not going to get done.

8. profile image0

I take a walk each morning with my dog.  We both could stand to lose some weight, so we walk for an hour before the valley heat takes over.  It has now become habit, and as soon as I wake up, I'm dressed for my walk, and away we go.  I am grateful that I am able to retire because many people won't see retirement.  They have to work, but there will come a time when your body can't take it.  Or you can't take being around people because you are a grouch!  LOL!  After the walk, the day is MINE.  But it took me years to figure out that one.  I also need to keep moving to get the blood to my brains.  And the sun (only 20 minutes each day) chases the blues away.  Not that I have any.  I am learning how to be Suzy Homemaker, but that's gonna take years.  It is tempting to say to yourself, "Manana!"

9. cat on a soapbox profile image94
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Wow! There are so many great hubs on customer service here. Thank you, everyone!

10. Kevin Peter profile image59
      Kevin Peterposted 11 years ago

Just made another hub for this weeks challenge . "An Easy Guide to Build a Strong Customer Relationship "

Waiting for your feedback..

http://kevin-peter.hubpages.com/hub/An- … lationship

11. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 11 years ago
    12. Brutis808 profile image59
      Brutis808posted 11 years ago

Are Customer Service Courses Worth It?
      http://brutis808.hubpages.com/hub/Are-C … s-Worth-It

13. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Looking at all these great Hubs makes me think we should run more two week Weekly Topic Inspiration sessions! These are awesome.

This week's new theme is diseases, disorders, and conditions. Join in and share your expertise on whatever condition/disorder/disease you may have learned about from personal (or proximal) experience!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)