2 Little Questions...

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

I know, you've just changed tons of stuff and I shouldn't be asking for more already!

But can you at least tell me how possible these 2 are?

1. With groupings, would it be possible to cross-list hubs in different categories?

2. Would it be possible to make hubs wider than they currently are? Or is that done for a special reason? Cos hubs span exactly 1/2 of my screen and I can't help wondering if widening hubs might be good?

Thanks, Paul!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Isabella, I had exactly the same thought about the cross-listing yesterday.  Probably the first time I found myself with a hub I could have put in two different places. 

I've wondered why Hubs are skinny, too.  We could do so much more with layout if they were wider.

3. Isabella Snow profile image86

Paul..? Whaddya think?

You like to see me beg for it, dontcha....? wink

Being able to cross-group hubs would increase chances of pageviews, wouldnt it?

4. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Isabella, we already have tags for organizing a hub into multiple groups.  The intent of hub groups was to allow you to string together a series of very related hubs into a series, for instance:

"Grammar Mishaps - I vs. Me"
    "Grammar Mishaps - Toward vs Towards"
    etc.

or

My European Vacation Part 1 - France
    My European Vacation Part 2 - Germany
    etc.

It wasn't really intended as a general way to organize hubs (since tags do exactly that), although I do realize some people use it in that way.

As for the width of the page, a lot of consideration went into the current width.   The most important being that almost 10% of our visitors are still using a resolution of 800x600, so we could not exceed 800 pixels if we went with a fixed width layout.  On top of that, a lot of usability studies seem to suggest that a line length of 4-5" is optimal for text readability so we tried to set the full width of a hub somewhere in that vicinity (although it obviously varies based on your monitor configuarion).  We also considered the standard advertisement dimensions, and tried to make our design adaptable to as many of them as possible.

I don't think you're going to be able to sweet talk me into changing either of these, but you can try if you want.

1. Isabella Snow profile image86
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well.. most of the fun is in trying, you know. wink

Ok, I figured page width had something to do with an 800x screen. I'm surprised *most* visitors are still using that size though.. most of my own traffic I get comes from 1020. But ok, I get it!

However..

By groups, I realize the tag thing serves a purpose, but I did mean very specific groupings.

For example - I'd like to have topics on expat info grouped together - but Id also like "how to move a pet to the UK" in my dog tips group.

I didnt mean just randomly grouping for the sake of views....

Another thing would be having my lingerie articles all in 1 group for people who ONLY want to look at lingerie, but also have it in my womens fashion group which includes all of it..

Is my begging futile?? smile

5. Isabella Snow profile image86

Paul - I was just looking at askmen.com and realized the hubpages width is almost the same as theirs.. which surprised me because I'd never thought of their pages as being narrow.. and then I realized why. They have some kind of colored wallpaper filling up all the extra space, so it gives the feeling like your screen is still filled.

Could you maybe consider filling the white space on hubpages, which takes up 1/2 of my screen, and more on those with bigger monitors, with wallpaper, or just some solid color? Even gray would be cool, I think..

Or was white chosen for the same reasons width was?

6. Kenny Wordsmith profile image73
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

Just adding my two-bit to Isabella's request for having a hub in more than one group. It would be useful, methinks!

7. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Most pages which have a lot of readable content will be about as wide as HubPages. The difference is they may have a third (or even fourth) column with ads or other links on it.

And they might centre the entire page. So it splits the white space (or whatever colour being used) in half, but on both sides, rather than on one.

Extending the width of the main body of writing works against the writer, as it is more tiring for the reader to read longer string of words. Something that a teacher once told me in Desktop Publishing. Which applied to a printed page, but works the same (if not more so) on a computer screen.

And I'd very much like cross-referenced Groups.

8. Isabella Snow profile image86

Darkside, the site I'm referring to is set up like hubpages, but to the right is colored space. Thats what Im asking, since I know they dont want to widen the columns. Im just asking if the remaining space to the right can be a color other than white.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You actually asked "Would it be possible to make hubs wider than they currently are".

9. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I disagree about the colored space - I like the white space, although the groupings I agree with. I would like to be able to add my hubs to more than one group for similar reasons.

10. Isabella Snow profile image86

You're on a Mac, right, Mark? What size screen you got?

11. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Yes.

2 screens -  one is 1280 x 1024 the other 1680 x 1050

But I think what Paul said earlier was that 10% of users use the narrow screens, not most of them. big_smile
    I'm with Isabella on this - wider would be good.

12. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Maybe centering the content, would give the impression that more of the page is filled.

I, too, like the idea of multiple groupings...

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

No no please don't - will break it for those us of on 14" laptops - you then have to drag across to read - and I just skip sites that do that !

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

There's always one...big_smile

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I believe 14" laptops have at least 1024x768...

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

If that is the case, Misha, Lissie why would centering affect you scrolling? Paul said that the current format is based on an 800x600 screen...

I'm not sure I understand...

14. Isabella Snow profile image86

Yeah, I did, 7 days ago, and Paul already answered it.

That's not what I asked today.

15. profile image0
    ericsomethingposted 16 years ago

Paul's right about the studies. There were quite a few done on how the eye travels over the printed page (which I assume would also translate into the on-screen page), and that's part of why newspapers settled for a certain column width. For those interested in the background stuff, it was a guy named Edmund Arnold, the granddaddy of newspaper design, that set many of those standards.

Hadn't occurred to me about the screen resolution. Mine's 1280x1020 with a 17" screen, but thinking of changing that 'cause my eyes just aren't what they once were. Wouldn't surprise me any if Mom and Dad have their screen set for something like 800x600 so they can read things.

I do like the idea of multiple groups myself, but it's not like it's a show-stopper or anything. One of my groups ("Out To Lunch") is really a catch-all for random stuff. But don't listen to my organizational ideas. They're kinda different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)