HubTrail around the world

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 114 discussions (176 posts)
  1. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I have written a couple of Hubs on little known attractions in my area. They are some basic info on unusual places to visit in Pennsylvania.
    I thought it would be nice if I could find some other Hubbers willing to write the same type of articles or have written the same type of articles to link to.
    I do not know how to make this work but I would like to create a link trail to neighboring states and countries to see if we can get a sort of map of the little known attractions around the world.
    Anyone interested?

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting idea, Ohma - I like it a lot.

I have written a few Hubs about my local area, a relatively unknown area of Greece (apart from Sparta, of course!)

Give me a few hours, and I will do the link thing. We could also use a 'HubTrail' tag to create an RSS feed - like the Hubchallenges smile

1. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great I was really hoping to interest at least one of You more experienced Hubbers to help me out with this. I am so pleased that you are willing Sufidreamer. I have to stem out I will be back in an hour or so to see if anyone else is interested?

2. carol ord profile image62
      carol ordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great Idea, I am hoping to put some hubs on about Liverpool England where I am from.

3. Better Yourself profile image52
      Better Yourselfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a great idea.

2. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I’ve written a few things about my local area in Central Florida. Though not attractions, except for the Disney World “dressing for the parks” hub, it’s a places to go and do kind of thing.

Your welcome to check them out and link if you'd like. One of these days I'll figure the linking and RSS feed thing out. 

I do like the idea of cross-linking.

3. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I could write a couple of hubs about local attractions.  We have a battleship submarine and destroyer that can be toured.

We also have the Lizzie Borden legend.

There is also a Dighton rock which has carvings on it that are yet to be identified.

It will take me a little while but I would do it.

4. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

The majority of what I write about is about Oklahoma.  I don't know exactly what you have in mind but I'm game. 

If you could describe in a little more detail you're idea, we may be able to help out more..

5. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

Oooh I like this idea - I can do one on Lakehurst Naval Base - it's just down the road from me - it is Famous for the Hindenburh disaster - but I'd approach it from a different angle - it's haunted.....

Would that work? Unusual things about famous attractions?

6. aimeeSF profile image65
    aimeeSFposted 14 years ago

This sounds like a great idea!  I would definitely be interested in writing the same thing for the San Francisco Bay Area in California.

I just had a quick question: how would we create a link trail that links our hubs together?  Google Map?  A link section in each related hub to an off-site hub directory or something?  Hub RSS?

I'd like to get involved and will continue thinking of different ideas to get it all centralized.

1. Ohma profile image60

Sufidreamer also suggested RSS feed for the group That would be Great but I will have to leave the technicalities of how to others that know much more than I do. I really hope Sufi and some others more experienced Hubbers Can put my vision into action.

1. aimeeSF profile image65
        aimeeSFposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good!  I'll start thinking of articles to write this weekend for it :-)

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I've got a Hub about the Winchester Mystery House near San Jose, CA.  And the St Stupid's Day Parade held on April 1st in San Francisco.

There's also my Hub on how to do your own "Ferris Bueller" tour of Chicago.

8. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Wow Such great response. Thanks everyone.
    As I have said I do not really know how to make it work but I was basically thinking like since I am in Pa I could link my Hub to whoever is joining in the next closest states. (Md. Ohio, N.Y. etc) or something like that. Ideally I would love to see Hubs from as many as possible from state to state here in the U.S. and (Wish I had paid attention in Geography)whatever amounts to a state, territory or region in other countries that HP has members.

9. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years ago

what about canada sad sad

10. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Absolutely Kim I do want everyone to participate with their own little corner of the world.

I might actually get to link to yours since I am closer to you than to the west coast and Fla.

11. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I have a hub on unique Portland, OR attractions that gets a boat load of traffic, so that could be a cool addition....  I'm definitely game, Ohma.  Great idea!

12. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Word Great now we just need some guru's to put it all together.

13. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Since it is relevant to the topic I have done 2 hubs the first is "What to do in Pennsylvania" the other "What to do in Gettysburg" if anyone wants to take a look to get an idea of what I am talking about.

14. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

That is great Aimee. I am sorry I had to go to work so I missed your post I really like the idea about the google map thing I wonder if there is any way to make that work?

15. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I could do a hub on Benidorm which is a popular European (Spanish) tourist resort just down the road from me.

16. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Great Izzy I I am going to have to get out my World atlas to figure the links out LOL Wish Sufidreamer would come back to point me\us in the right direction for how to make it all work.

17. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Think you might have to wait a few hours for Sufi. If he is same time zone as me (and I think he is) its now 4am!

18. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

lol I am really crappy at keeping all that stuff straight. Wow 4am why are you still here?

19. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I don't know. My eyes are shutting all on their own. Guess it's because I lost my internet access for 2 weeks and am catching up!

20. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Hmm Might I suggest turning of the computer and contacting and addiction therapist first thing in the morning! lol just kidding I really enjoy when you are around.

21. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I really do need to turn off the computer. The last two nights i was up really late writing hubs ( I've published 12 in 2/3 days) but there is no excuse tonight. I just felt like sitting here chilling out, reading forums, hubs...not working. Not going to bed either like any sensible person would. Who ever said I was sensible anyway lol

22. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have thirty or so hubs on Australian locations, but will look in again after you have hooked the USA together. I know you only need one, so I will probably offer Melbourne as I don't think many people here would know it as well as Sydney. smile

1. Ohma profile image60

Earnest that is great but I do not seem to be getting as big a response from the U.S. as I had hoped so maybe the hop across the pond will not take as long as you think.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love that! "Hop across the pond" Some pond eh? 18 hours in the air!
        I thought Australians were the masters of understatement! Wrong! lol

1. Ohma profile image60

Glad you liked it but I can not take the credit. It is a British thing I think.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
        Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think there's a lot of people in the US that would be excited about it - there's certainly enough hubs out there about spots in the US.  I think that once everyone gets the ball rolling on this thing that it'll be a big hit..

Still... global domination is appealing. big_smile

1. Ohma profile image60

You caught me that is my ultimate goal. hmm big_smile

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90

... I just knew it!

1. Ohma profile image60

Do I seem so calculating to you? smile

Calculating?  Maybe.. ambitious? Definitely.. I'll humbly accept your rule, but only if you feed me with plenty of brownies and reeces pieces. big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like Pinky and the brain! smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image80

I'll link to Melbourne, Earnest - it is the third largest Greek city in the world, after all big_smile

Ohma - Gurus are in such short supply!

23. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I think you are more sensible than you would have us believe and wow on the hub writing. I can not seem to write much at all these days I think every time I turn on the comp. I am just going to write the as soon as i do nothing but a big old blank.

24. allies profile image57
    alliesposted 14 years ago

wow hey how did u take a pic of ur self

1. Ohma profile image60

????

25. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

This is a great idea, Ohma!  So far I haven't written anything about my area of the world, but if/when I do, I'll contact you. smile

26. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Rafini glad to have you!

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

It'll be a new area for me to write, so the big word is...IF   lol

27. TinaAtHome profile image66
    TinaAtHomeposted 14 years ago

I've written four about the city I live in and the three cities nearest to me. I'm in Northern California.

28. K Partin profile image59
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Hey Ohma, count me in....I like it! When I'm done I'll give ya a shout. smile

29. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Ok I am convinced we can make this work Rafini You can do this have a look at my Pennsylvania or Gettysburg Hubs to get an idea of what I have done.

Going to find an atlas now!

30. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Map_of_USA_showing_state_names.png
    So I am looking for N.Y., New Jersey, De, Md, W.Va, and Ohio. any one whose state has an ocean front boarder get to "Hop across the Pond"

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Southern WV...I could maybe do one on Pipestem National Park, which is very nearby and under-visited, IMO...What do you think? It might take me some time to get it finished, though...(completing final week of semester right now).

31. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Ohma,

I meant to respond to your email but have quite a backlog of work to do still with the 60DC and prepping the house for babytime.

I was going to fully support the concept,Its a great idea. I would be willing to create an image map of the included location based hub. (like the map above)

As in a webpage that would have clickable links that lead to the hub about the region.

But Im a couple of weeks away from being able to devote any time to new projects

32. figment profile image72
    figmentposted 14 years ago

I've written a hub about hattiesburg mississippi

33. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Spider great can not wait to read it.
    Sunforged That is fantastic. I just thought I would put it out there to see if there was any interest I am glad you are willing to help I know you have a lot going on right now.
    Earnest Who is the Brain?
    Figment that is fantastic.

I really can not wait to put all of this together.

34. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Hi Ohma

Sorry about the delay - I am nearly half a day ahead of you.

I love your idea about neighboring states and countries - I know hubbers in Croatia, Italy, and Egypt, so I will see if they want to join in! I am thinking that 10 links would be good - a few to your own Hubs, and the rest to other people!

I have already added the tag 'HubTrail' tag to three of my Hubs - if we all do that, it will link them all together in one place.

The next stage is to add an rss feed to each Hub (I am just about to do that!) - where it says Feed URL, add:

http://hubpages.com/tag/HubTrail/hot/?rss

or http://hubpages.com/tag/HubTrail/best/?rss

Set the feed to display 8 items - That will include a good selection of the other Hubtrail hubs.

That's it for now - I will be learning a few more techniques next month, as part of SunForged's 60 Day Challenge smile

Jumping across the Atlantic: Ireland to New York/Boston, the UK to New England, Scotland and France to Canada, Spain to Latin America etc. How does that sound?

1. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello
      I've just added one of my hubs to the WorldHubTrail.
      It's about an town (Nihn Binh) about 4 hours from Hanoi and off the tourist trek but well worth stopping at.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Surprising-Frie … nh-Vietnam

35. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

That is great Sufi I am going to add the tags to my Hubs right now.

I have started a list of participants and where they are located but I would like some more specific information from some. I want to add a link list page to my website or build a new site for this project and also add RSS to my Blogs.

Did you read Sunforged's comment here I love his idea and am glad he is willing to help. maybe you and he can get together and work out all the technical stuff to make this a really great Hub Project.

All participants should add HubTrails tag to their Hub so it will show in these feeds;
    http://hubpages.com/tag/HubTrail/hot/?rss

or http://hubpages.com/tag/HubTrail/best/?rss

I'll have to do that once I get back tonight..

I had a couple thoughts as well.. I have a Wiki page that I'm slowly creating to help promote my hubs.  I was thinking that maybe one could create a Wiki that hosted RSS feeds from Hubpages with the Hubtrail tags.  In addition, one could have a page for each state that lists RSS feeds for that particular state.   Here's the wiki that I've been working on - it's still just an idea, but you can kinda see what I'm talking about: http://oklahomatraveler.wikispaces.com/

Also, what about setting up an outside blog for the hubtrail idea?

1. Ohma profile image60

I like that Idea very much and that page looks great!

2. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Questions for the Tech adept.

Can both of the Rss feeds be added, to have "best" and "Hot"?

And if, or in either case, do the "hot" & "best" only limit exposure to hubs that may be very good but do not receive alot of traffic?

36. Sufidreamer profile image80

No worries.

I am not the best at the technical stuff - I am merely regurgitating what we have learned during the 60 day challenge!

Great idea about setting up a site - that will really give things a boost. If you need some content writing, give me a shout - it is a lot of work to do on your own.

It is a good excuse for me to revisit some of my old Hubs and upload more photographs etc smile

Anyway, time to spread the word - there are a few Hubbers that don't visit the forums, so I will see if I can track down a few folks from Europe and the Middle East big_smile

37. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

the trouble is Any site I set up will not have a high page ranking because I do not own a domain. I wonder if that matters?

How long will it take my hubs to show up in the RSS feed?

Maybe you could look at buying a domain - it doesn't cost a lot. Something like Hubtrail-traveltheworld.com or something (we can look for some good keywords!). You can then use WordPress to design the site smile

My site, in three months, has gone up to PR4, and I did not do a lot with it other than link from Hubpages and a client's site smile

This is where my lack of technical skills lets me down, but SF and a few others have some good Hubs about setting up and promoting websites.

rss feed - mine showed up after an hour.

38. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

this sounds like fun. I've been wanting to write some hubs on day trips in this area of florida, also I have a hub written about a small village outside of Paris, France. It was one of my first hubs, so I might have to add some more info.

39. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Great Rebekahelle, Did you see the tag you should include for the RSS feed.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, I'll take a closer look when I'm ready to edit/write. thanks!

sufi, that's a great idea to put it all on a separate domain.

40. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Hmm..? Not sure if I could do that right now it would have to be very very inexpensive. I will have to poke around and see what I can find.

Off the top of my head, it was about 8 dollars to buy the domain, and it costs me about 100 dollars a year for hosting.

Some of the techie guys might have better ideas for cheap hosting - I bartered with a webdesigner to do all that for me! wink

If you know any webdesigners, offering to write content in exchange for designing and setting the thing up is the way to go! big_smile

41. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Now we Need another Guru. LOL big_smile

42. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Sufi IzzyM is on your side of the pond as well!
    At present I have SimeyC in Jersey and Glass Spider In W Va. that share boarders with Pa. when they are ready to Publish

I am also waiting for a reply from Cagsil about doing a Kick-off Hub.

43. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Think I might also send a Post to Dale Mazurek to see if he can help with the Website Thing.

44. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Send an invitation to Habee, she has a quite a few “To Do” hubs as I recall. She is in Georgia and can link to me in Florida. I’d do it but it appears you are the head honcho on this Hubber drive.

45. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Great Idea Ready I will do that!

46. Sufidreamer profile image80

I left comments for Hubbers with articles about Israel, Croatia, and France. Hopefully, Frogdropping will swing by - I think that she has a few Hubs about Portugal and the UK. I will also contact some Greek and British Hubbers later on smile

Anyway, back to the daily grind! sad

47. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I e-mailed Habee, Dale and Cagsil.
    We are making good headway sort of. 11 of 50 states Canada, Greece, Spain, and Australia on my list. anyone know any hubbers from Japan, korea, and that neck of the woods?

48. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Got the email - I'm in! I have travel hubs about GA and FL, and the Bahamas. Randy Godwin goes to Jamaica every year. Email him! He has a couple of hubs about Negril, and he also has a couple about GA. In fact, he's on a GA island this weekend, and I know he's writing about it.

Is Ohio covered? Ralwus could do it.

Hello, hello and Ethel Smith could do England.

Ann Nonymous for VA

AKirchner for Oregon.

Shane for AL.

Tammy Lochmann for MS.

Carolina Muscle for SC. Plus, he recently visited the Mayan ruins!

De Greek for Greece and the Greek Islands.

Maita for Philippines.

Just offering some suggestions!

1. Ohma profile image60

Habee you have just been nominated to officially invite Hubbers from each of the 50 states.
      The nomination has been seconded.
      All in favor of Habee being the official Hubber Liaison say Aye

AYE

49. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Great Habee now we have 12 states Yeah!

50. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

HELP
    I added the Hubtrails tag to 2 Hubs but only one is showing up in the RSS feed!

I see one for the tag 'Hubtrail'

They should appear - it seems to take a little time.

Do you want to use the tag 'HubTrail' or the tag 'HubTrails'?

Not a problem, but we will have to change the rss feed addresses if you want to use 'hubtrails' - the examples I gave were for 'hubtrail' smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)