Substandard engine gives false positives

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (48 posts)
  1. protjack profile image60
    protjackposted 15 years ago

Hi,

this Hub of mine:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Haiku-poem-Coca-Cola

has been flagged as substandard (or in danger of becoming one or whatever). The Hub is a poem with a video clip. That's all that that Hub is supposed to contain, nothing more and nothing elseand your engine thinks it's lacking content or something.

Please fix this, if you can.

Thank you!

1. frank2much profile image59
      frank2muchposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just started a hub http://hubpages.com/hub/This-Saturday-n … ed-GoUniv; and I saved it as unpublished hub. My hub score before publishing (after saving unpublished hub) was 49, There flashed similar warning. At that time I just gave hub title and assigned taggs. After seeing warning I added content to hub and published it. Its score was 42. Within 15 minutes of its publication it has 19 page view and hub score is still 46 something.My querry is how a hub can be declared substandard before being published.

1. Whitney05 profile image82
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Before published, it can be considered substandard for hte same reasons as after being published. Lack of content...

As you said when you added content, the warning went away.

The score will increase in due time. Just give the hub time to get traffic and whatnot.

2. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

This is only advisory - you don't need to do anything.  Alternatively write an introduction to boost the word count.  This topic is covered here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4939#post44841

3. protjack profile image60

I'd still like this addressed, since I conclude (after reading the linked page) that in the future this may affect my Hub rating and more.

This is, obviously, a problem for all the rule following Hubs flagged incorrectly. I'm hoping for a solution of some sort.

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I understand that Haiku is brief- I wonder though if you could just add another text capsule, with a description about haiku or something? Just a suggestion.........

4. protjack profile image60

Thaks for suggestion, but no - cause I'd have to add the same text on each poem and that would make my page appear to have duplicate content.

5. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

You can write a different paragraph explaining each haiku, it is a lot of work, but it would help you avoid the duplicate content penalty you were talking about.  I am continually adding things to hubs on a constant basis, I never see it as a finished project.  Maybe that would help, add a different explanation to a different haiku hub each day?

6. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago
  7. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Yes definitely add some more content. Even just a paragraph or something. That would remove the warning. It's not a problem with the HP engine or whatever. It's just that they're wanting hubs with more than just a few words. If you were to add some kind of paragraph as to why you wrote the haiku or something, I'm sure the warning would subside.

Hubs with little to no content are considered substandard, and a hub with just a few words doesn't really give the reader anything to read, much less a reason to stay on the site.

1. WeddingConsultant profile image65
      WeddingConsultantposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, one thing that really bothers me is seeing a hub that is 100% pictures.  The least some people could do is maybe type up an introduction paragraph?  Something, ANYTHING to make it worthwhile.

8. protjack profile image60

The Hub contains everything it's supposed to contain. The machine engine is faulty. Thanks all for answers.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No. The hub contains everything you want it to contain. Not what hubpages consider to be acceptable quality.

I don't claim to understand their reasoning 100% but I know the search engines will have trouble finding and indexing that little text.

What people were doing here is offering suggestions as to how you might resolve the conflict. And if you think about it, you have an entire webpage, full of almost nothing. If you take into consideration the fact that "haiku poem" is repeated 9 times on this page, you actually have only  9 words. Hard for the search engines to find that. There is more text in the advertisements than in the content. This will end up being penalized at some point.

http://pursenickety.com/wp-content/uploads/haiku.jpg

protjackposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And it's supposed to contain what I want it to contain. Thanks for your input.

You're not called to judge if you like that poem or not. If I want to write 100 times the word "hypo" on my page and call it a superpoem, I am free to do so. I just hope the machine engine is smart enough to recognize it's not spam etc. It's very challanging to build an engine in such a way, so I completely understand HubPages.

As for official responses, thanks and I'll not worry about the warnings now and see how it goes.

I just don't like when machine algorithms make mistakes and some people's brains are so into giving in to everything that defines their world that they just embrace it and love it.

Cheers all.

I never said a word about whether I like that poem or not.

I was just trying to help you understand that the search engines will have trouble finding it because of the lack of information on the page. I have no taste for poetry anyway.

Sorry you think I was judging the quality of your poem. I think it's as good a poem as many I have read and I could care less what you do or what you call it.

I thought you were asking for help. My mistake - you were asking google and hubpages to change their search and quality parameters to suit yours.

Good luck with that. big_smile

2. darkside profile image64
          darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You certainly are free to do so. But search engines aren't dumb enough to recognize it as anything but spam.

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, it definitely looks like my substandard English in this case, and I'm glad we got this part out of the way. However, your subsequent posts correlate to my initial interpretation of the title, like here:

9. gamergirl profile image85

Besides..

aren't haiku supposed to be 5-7-5?

Thanks for not understanding the meaning of Hubpages, protjack.

10. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Why worry about a low hubscore?

If you want to publish something like that then hubscore is only a number that proves nothing. Nofollow won't matter, as you have no outbound links.

11. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Darkside, he's not worried about the hubscore, but the substandard warning that shows on the hub...

But, the warning will never go away if content is not added. Like Mark said the hub contains the info that he wants it to have but 14 words is not enough to be considered anything other than substandard.

Charlotte, 5-7-5 is the typical haiku, but it does not always have to be 5-7-5, that's just the traditional haiku format. Usually, haiku's are pretty close to that though. It seems, though, that the haiku's I've read from protjak none follow 5-7-5. Usually, poets who write haikus will have the traditional format on most of their haikus and maybe a couple that don't follow the typical format.

12. frank2much profile image59
    frank2muchposted 15 years ago

I understand it Whitney but unpublished hub is only visible to its author. "Save Unpublished" status shows that its under construction. Why the warning?

13. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

The main purpose of the new warnings is to prevent hubs that violate the rules from being published in the first place.  Previously, it went like this:

1. New hub is published
    2. Eventually readers flag the hub, or we discover it ourselves (using similar criteria as the new warnings)
    3. We unpublish the hub, and then the author has to fix the problem and submit it for republication
    4. We review the submitted hub and republish it if it has been corrected

This series of steps, and especially the time gaps that occur between each step are a source of confusion and unhappiness for authors (especially new authors).  These steps also require a fair amount of work on our side.  We'd prefer to spend our time improving the site in other ways.  Hopefully the new warnings will make the rules more transparent and easier to follow.

So, if we left the warnings off of hubs until they were published it would defeat the purpose.  I suppose we could leave the warnings off for new hubs that are less than an hour old, or for authors that have a sufficient history on the site and a reasonable HubScore, or something like that ...

1. Misha profile image64

Ironically, those authors find the warnings to be quite helpful smile

1. embitca profile image82
        embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would prefer the warnings stay. They are helpful and by having them before I publish it means I don't have to go back and check the hub a few days later to see if a warning has now popped up. It'll be gone before I publish because I'll have made sure of that.

14. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I just want to repeat two points here, as there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding:

1) Warnings do not affect HubScore.
    2) Warnings do not unpublish/flag your hub.

15. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Proto,

Why don't you build your own site and post there anything you like any way you like? You won't have to bitch around then.

Frankly, I am tired of your childish posts.

I am sure that the HubPages don't allow personal insults like this, but thanks.

I'll build the site I want when I want, thanks.

I think you're not tired, cause I see you enjoy all that I write - you read it all the time.

16. frank2much profile image59

It appears there is miscommunication and it is the root cause of altercations.One drawback of this forum is same expressions on the faces of participants. Participants fail to judge the intentions of other participants by reading faces. Use of emoticons give impression that they are making fun of each other.

17. gamergirl profile image85

frank2much,

They are.

Proto wants Hubpages to stop considering his substandard hub as what it is, and Mark is feeding the irritation that Proto must feel.

It doesn't take much for the substandard warning to go away if you're that worried about it.  Introduce what made you write the "haiku," talk about what this "haiku" makes you feel, something - literally anything - will work toward making that warning go away.  It's not hard.

Oh, and a hub with the word "hypo" or any other word for that matter repeated dozens of times would be spam.  It would be useless, serving even no artistic purpose, is not quality content in the least, and you'd be quickly down one hub when it'd be reported and/or taken down for being what it would be - trash.

1. rmr profile image68
      rmrposted 15 years agoin reply to this

He could also try putting several haiku poems on one hub. I did that once, and have never been flagged. That's not to say they were good poems, but enough content to remain unflagged.

18. frank2much profile image59

I appreciate your viewpoint "gamegirl'. Matter should be resolved now. One substandard hub may cause you great harm in terms of overall page CTR for all your hubs.

This is not correct.

1. frank2much profile image59
        frank2muchposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark, I am not very sure about one poor quality hub influencing other pages' ranking but I read a post on bloggerspot (refered from hub forum) about it and  appeared convincing also. One poor site of same affiliate may influence rating of clicks generated from other sites as per arguement of that post. I am sorry I can't recall exact statements here but I am trying to convey the meaning. You are more experienced and may better explain it.

Frank

As far as I understand it, each hubpage is a stand-alone item. They can share link juice via tags and links left in them and from your personal profile page, but I do not think a sub-standard hub can bring down the page rank of any of your other hubs.

But what you said was in it would do you great harm in overall page ClickThroughRate and I don't see how that would happen. If you have a substandard hub, it will likely not get any traffic, and is unlikely to have any effect on your CTR.

Unless you meant hubber score? In which case a lot of substandard hubs will bring that down.

big_smile

19. gamergirl profile image85

Exactly rmr.

The point seems to be that this fellow wants Hubpages policy to change to suit his desires.

1. Misha profile image64

and requests this in offensive manner...

1. rmr profile image68
        rmrposted 15 years agoin reply to this

He could also try writing a hub about arrogance. Sounds like there could be plenty of content, there.

20. protjack profile image60

Dear Misha, I've written a haiku poem about you, I call you to come and read it smile Have fun!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Haiku-Poem-Misha

1. Misha profile image64

LOL You can't beat the guy who wrote a hub about Mark and me being condescending vaginas - but nice try. Don't think it's a haiku though - as far as I remember there are strict rules on the number of syllables.

And if you still did not understand - I don't care about how good or bad your hubs are. What I did not like is you coming to forums all guns blazing with an attempt to blame Hubpages in the major misdeed when all they did was alerting you that your hub did not comply with the rules.

Oh Misha, thank you, one more poem of mine read by you smile Glad I got a new fan, I'll join your fan club later...

I just came to the forums to say that the engine is making a mistake - that was in good intention and because I like HubPages.

I call anyone who attacked me to quote one thing that I said that can be said to be of bad intention to the HubPages.

All these other things you say are your problem.

1. Misha profile image64

I'll just re-phrase the title of your thread, may be you understand then:

"Substandard poem gives false impression" - does it sound offensive if said about your "haiku"?

The title of thread you quoted wrong. The title is: "Substandard engine gives false positives". Actually, I don't understand this post and no, I can't possibly see what would be offensive in such criticism of my haikus.

2. embitca profile image82
      embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think SunSeven's comment on that post summed it up nicely big_smile

21. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

lol

I give it a 3/10 - Slightly better than the third worst poet in the universe's attempts though smile

Thanks smile But I think I deserve more ;-)

1. Whitney05 profile image82
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Neh, I actually think Mark gave you a score higher than most people here would have, in terms of haiku formating, not your "poem."

I agree!

The more this thread is responded to, the more prot gets traffic and publicity for himself. If we all stop responding, the traffic to his "poems" will probably cease. Google will see them as substandard, and more than likely they won't register as there is little to no content on the page. If he would add content such as a paragraph explaining the "poem," be could get traffic without complaining on the forums. Maybe if we stop responding, he'll get the hint that he needs content to get traffic.

22. gamergirl profile image85
  23. protjack profile image60

Oh, misunderstood your last post.

Anyway, I can't possibly make the connection between that last post of yours and my Hubs or anything whatsoever.

In fact, I think you didn't understand what I wrote correctly. Maybe this will help: "Substandard engine" is the engine that's supposed to be recognizing substandard pages. Hope this explanation helps. It's actually all just pretty correct english.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)