What use is prayer in natural disasters?

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (449 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

I've seen comments by people saying to pray when there are natural disasters.  Some also doing their 'end-time' rant. 

What use is prayer?  How does it help any?

1. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't. The idea that you can change what God is going to do through prayer is ludicrous.

1. vector7 profile image60
        vector7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You died and came back?

smile

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My Opinion on prayer in the case of natural disasters and things of that sort...It is used as the lazy mans way "helping" without rendering any real assistance to those who are victims of said disasters. There is food to be given, homes to be re-built, lives to comfort and various other things that can actually render assistance to those in need during times of crisis. But, lets be "good Christians" and pray that "god" helps those in crisis and not actually got off our butts or come up off our wallets to render some real assistance for our fellow man...

Sorry...Had to vent some....

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well prayers or no prayers, people are helping out in practical ways

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goes to show you the level of ignorance in the world today.
      It's comforting to the individual who claims to pray, so they themselves can feel better about themselves and meaningless to everyone else.
      Again, only the person who prays.

4. fadedsnow profile image60
      fadedsnowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The idea of prayer is logically contradicting.  It requires God to be perfect and imperfect, it makes a travesty of the notion of scientific tests of causality, and it belittles the Omnipotent Infinite God, if such exists, and ignores the possibility of lesser supernatural powers or malevolent energies interfering with nature in untold ways.

5. Mikeydoes profile image42
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I say if it helps you cope with the situation, go ahead and do it. It certainly does help in that regard.

6. zenpoker profile image60
      zenpokerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prayers? really? Those poor people need food shelter and medicine not prayers, i'm also very sure they would told you the same thing! smile

1. profile image0

that's what I thought too - food, water, shelter, warmth, medical assistance.  I don't see what use prayers are.  The pets need help too.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/worl … nd-rubble/

2. Joy56 profile image68
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

of course they need all those things, but even the ones amongst them that have a faith will still be praying......  They know god has a long term purpose, and unfortunately they know some have to suffer............

At least the people in Japan know they have problems, we all have problems, not as severe, but we dont even know we do...... we are all under the influence of higher powers for good or bad....... 

It at least puts our problems into some kind of prospective..... Being without a job, kind of fails into the background at the moment.  i and i imagine lots like me and you, would love to solve the problems for all those in Japan....... But really what can we do....... If we give money it may not get to them..... If we pray to their god, it will be a comfort for the ones that do believe, whether or not we do or not......... 

Earnest Hub...... I love the way your mind works.... or does it even work????

1. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What I said makes perfect sense. If one can change the outcome for some but not others with belief, what does that say about those who died and the horror suffered by those left behind? Their own fault was it?

1. Joy56 profile image68

the sun shines on the righteous and the wicked, i know you know that Earnest , god is not partial, only humans  are.

Which would leave us in the current example with god as a psychopath. It is not about man or god being partial, it is about outrageous claims made by religionists about natural disasters when they can't see their own psychological positioning. smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

o.k. then you be god, we will bow to your wisdom

That has never been a goal. I don't wish people to bow to my wisdom, nor will I bow to religion. No, my greatest wish is that we all grow as much as we can every day. smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

wuld you like us all to unite in one thought, or is that not necessary////

2. profile image0

It shouldn't be necessary to bow to anybody - supernatural or otherwise

1. Joy56 profile image68

agreed, but i am just figuratively bowing to Earnesthub's wisdom all things religious,

7. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People who pray to God in times of disaster will be blessed by God in this life and the next.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen! smile

2. profile image0

how do disaster & blessed go together?

1. profile image0

there's an attitude amongst some that bad things happen to those that aren't 'close' to god.  When I was a christian, and had bad things happen in my life, I got the blame from other christians.

When I withdrew, I got more blame & was told all the bad things in my life were because I 'turned my back on god'

Seems like you leaned alot on the opinions of others,and not on Gods.

No way do I defend people anywhere who make silly judgemental comments ,but no-one is perfect,including myself.

1. profile image0

If I'm supposed to get god's opinion from bible, then god's opinion is conflicting.

3. pisean282311 profile image64
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol irony is that people who face disaster most of them have been highly religious and prayed regularly...prayer and disaster are unrelated...yes it is good way of  "feeling good" ...so in that way it works...

8. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Natural disasters are a respite for the human beings from the Creator-God to return to the path of purpose of life created by Him; which man has forgotten to pursue in the course of the man's routine material life.

So prayer helps man to ask forgiveness from the Creator-God; and man pledges again to tread on the peaceful and truthful path set for man by the Creator-God; it is a warning and a respite:

And if Allah were to punish men for their wrongdoing. He would not leave therein a living creature, but He gives them respite till an appointed term, and when their term is come, they cannot remain behind a single hour, nor can they go ahead of it. (16:62)

To undestand its philosophy one many like to access:

http://www.alislam.org/library/links/00000018.html

1. profile image52
    9. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you are helpless and you are the ones affected by a natural disaster, it helps to calm and soothe you - psychological, but of course don't just count on prayers you need to do something about it.
      For others who are praying for the ones affected - it is their way of showing they care and they are thinking of you. You can give some donations if you like too, but prayers can help. Even just thinking of your friends when there is a natural disaster, means a lot to some.

10. profile image51
      ForYourInfoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think natural disaster destroys peace of mind.
      Prayers restore it.

2. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Basically Prayer is the mind as well as  soul dedication  towards God.But there are some situations in which we are unable to do something while we have all resources,at that time only prayer.So in natural disasters like Earthquake in Japan ,they had all resources and every kind of technology,but at that time they were nothing.So at my end I only can pray for them nothing more.My help and donation is only prayers for them.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not know how your type of gods prayer would be received by the (more so) non religious Japanese, to them it could be considerd very cheap donation rather than real money

1. profile image0
        khmohsinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyone on this earth has its religious,when has religious then has God as well.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Not everyone on Earth is religious. hmm

2. profile image0

but prayers without food, water etc amount to nothing, do they not?

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I think it just gives people with nothing better to say an opportunity to comment on their own great generosity. Some people actually lap that shit up.

4. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

Yeah and some people find prayer comforting. Praying is a simple way of showing that you have someone in your thoughts and that you're not a completely selfish bastard.

Yeah, I suppose telling other people that you're praying may be a bit solicitous but what are you going to do?

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very well said.

I agree.

Prayer is communication between the person and God.

I dont know about anyone else ,but I dont really like other people telling me who and why I shouldnt talk(pray) to whoever I want.

Is kinda like me coming into a forum and saying ,what good is it for that person to be speaking this n that..hmmm

I would not tell anyone not to pray or do whoever they think or want to help, it's just not as strong as action,.

2. profile image0

sound defensive..touched a nerve by asking this question?

I'm not telling people not to pray.  I'm just wondering how they think it helps

Believing in God is believing in a Father who loves us. Our Bible says He made us in His image, and that we are the children of God. (if we follow Him)

Those who believe God is a powerful loving Father know that He will help in a situation and that He can affect the future's outcomes.

Those who don't believe in God, I agree. I wonder how they think it will help.

smile

1. Beelzedad profile image59
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death.  Exodus 21:15 NAB

I punch my father once when I was age 16 because he was an alcoholic.

I going to jump off a cliff now, Byyyyyyyyyyyeeeee

2. vector7 profile image60

Nice quote. Unfortunately you need the entire Bible to understand and translate all the reasons.

Very well done. You made God look bad to people.

smile

Then, by all means, use the entire bible to explain that quote other than what it states. Can you? smile

Put simply, the God of creation says, They are to respect their father and mother - if they don't respect them and rebel as a heathen send them to me.

Don't forget that if God is there then death is a transformation. God is not evil for telling people to send the disobedient ones to Him for a talk.

I could understand how you don't understand. You don't even believe He is real, and therefore death is the end of the line.

We created cars, and if it turns on it's own when you hold the wheel straight... You get it fixed. God's the mechanic for people.  smile

Never heard "Send them to their maker.." ?

That's not even a lesson on the Bible, just common sense.

Probably meant, "Send them to me, before they get worse."

No matter, no more time to waste on you. Enjoy your reply.

smile

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

NateSean

Actions speak louder than prayer, prayer may be a comfort to you, it has a 50/50 chance it may reach somewhere else, so go ahead say a prayer , there is no harm.

I prefer to comfort my Japanese friends here in Vancouver in person and do what I can for their country. I have been in Japan a few time and they are one of the beautiful people ever.

If I hear a person like Pat Robertson who cursed Haiti's earthquake for making a pact with the devil and relating to the french too. If Pat tries to condemn low religious Japan with those kinds of prayers. He will get my mail about brainwashing tactics.

1. NateSean profile image67
        NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And does it occur to you that some else's prayer has lead you to acting on behalf of your Japanese friends?

That would be incredible selfish on their part as prayer does little more than make people feel better about themselves as it does absolutely nothing for anyone else.

So, if it takes someone else praying for one to do something, then that too is just an action to feel better about themselves, especially if they aren't doing it for the plight of those in Japan. smile

Picking the ones away from the herd again?

smile

You mean, am I showing just how immoral and unethical your good book really is and how dangerous it is to mankind? smile

Forget the book, prove God doesn't exist. I can't see Him isn't proof.

smile

Forget the word of your god? No need to bring him into this discussion? You'll tell us all what we need to know? lol

You get side tracked so easily. I said prove God doesn't exist. It's ok if you don't have any proof. Please just be clear.

smile

2. NateSean profile image67
            NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah Beelzedad, I was wondering when you would rear your head in this discussion.

You ever notice how you just can't win with some people? If you pray, you're lazy. If you don't pray, you're just as selfish. There's no pleasing everyone and yet, you know what?

Who the hell cares if you agree with it or not?

The fact that you're posting online shows me that you are not at all effected by either the Earthquake in Japan, or any of the other myriad dangers that are a result of what is going on over there. You're safe in your home and/or place of Internet access, gleefully looking down on people you will likely never meet in real life.

The fact of the matter is, people are dying. People are dying and there is not a hell of a lot the majority of us can do about it.

So rather than spend my time condemning people who are desperate to help but are limited by whatever means hold them back, I am praising the fact that their thoughts and prayers are with those less fortunate.

Yes, I understand that believers don't care what anyone thinks, that's exactly the problem.

I have family in Chiba, thank you very much. We talk to them everyday and currently they can't buy food or gas and have constant rolling blackouts.

You were saying?

I'll pray for them..

smile

Thanks for nothing and thanks for doing nothing. smile

You mean for me being poor. I appreciate your sentiments. How very kind of you.

smile

2. earnestshub profile image79

Glad they have you beelzedad.
                hope they can recover, the place is in bad shape. All my best wishes. smile

Thanks Earny! We are trying to do everything we can for them. Their biggest problem thus far was an oil refinery nearby that wouldn't stop burning.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Beezledad I think you make random eratic statemnents intended to provoke or agitate and you have the nerve to acuse Christians of being violent?

Pot calling the kettle black isnt it lol

Cant speak for anyone else (like you are doing) but I have never killed my children ,and I dont force anyone to believe in what I believe in ,not do I teach my kids to disrespect atheists or anyone who chose to believe in whomever.

It probably isnt going to happen ,but it would be mature if you recognise the facts. smile

In other words, you don't follow the word of your god, you do as you please and then tell us that we are to follow the word of your god in order to be saved. The hypocrisy never ends. smile

No, I dont tell you what to do. ( Well maybe I hope you listen to m e)

No again to disobeying God for he expects me to care for my children whom he has gifted smile

2. profile image0

I've gotten so irritated with Pat Robertson's advertised statements twice that I googled his website and sent him scathing comments. It worked once. He must have received so much hate mail he withdrew his statement and apologized.

Good idea, tell him it's not Christ like and wars too.

3. profile image0

but someone can have empathy & compassion & think of others without prayer

God helps the ones that help themsevles , God's prayer line is a little too swamped right now, so help yourself and other phyically first and happy things will come back  faster

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol Good answer

5. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

It may help some keep calm, apparantly there are no atheists on a battle field.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a myth, of course.

A myth. smile

6. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Guess you will never find out.

1. profile image0

Guess not.   Prayer was totally useless all the years I used to pray.

More than a billion prayers a day if spread over 2,000 years, how about the odds of not one single documented piece of proof for a single prayer being answered?

1. aguasilver profile image71
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh..... Earnest, there you go again with inserting the word 'documented', matters not a jot that millions of believers will testify that prayer works, and can quote examples, you cannot accept it as it's not 'documented'.....

BB never had a prayer answered!

I cannot dispute that of course, no documented evidence, irrespective of the fact that she may not have realized that her prayers were being answered, or that maybe she never knew to pray in accordance with Gods will, like I said, I have no way of knowing, not without 'documented evidence' and of course that documented evidence is so very hard to find when one is dealing in the spiritual realm....

Maybe God saved some Japanese survivors that we never managed to get documented, perhaps there are people out there who were due to visit that area and got diverted at the last moment, they may have even been atheists, but had believers praying for them, so God intervened, but they will never know, and it will never be 'documented' and until God can be exposed in black and white, pinned to a board and able to be examined and ' 'documented' our secular friends will keep plodding away to discredit that which they cannot accept, because it's not 'documented'.

Good concept, keep plodding away, further and further from God that is....

I really do hope it is further away, a bad person like me would be in sooo much trouble in close with your god. smile
            You seem to miss that in signaling any intervention of your god, you are condemning all those who died. smile

1. profile image0

Hey ernest. I don't think it would be a bad thing for you to be close in to God. I would imagine a God would appreciate fair questions, and be happy to explain them. I'd be asking hard questions too, if I believed weather patterns and natural disasters were being used against us. It would be a strange kind of deity.

Yes it would be a strange deity. A murderous callous one like in the OT.

1. profile image0

Ok. You are right, but I believe that was meant to showcase man's inherent nature only. Either way, whether we agree  or disagree on the texts from our past, the reality of the here and now is what we must deal with. This belief that somehow the leprechaun next door is out to get us needs to die a quick and, hopefully, merciful death.

2. aguasilver profile image71
              aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can agree with your first comment, except scripture tells us:

Job 34:21-23 (Amplified Bible)

For [God's] eyes are upon the ways of a man, and He sees all his steps. There is no darkness nor thick gloom where the evildoers may hide themselves. [God] sets before man no appointed time, that he should appear before [Him] in judgment.

As to your second point, no way, I am not condemning anyone, like it says above "God sets before man no appointed time, that he should appear before Him in judgment." so we each make our own pathway to eternity, no point in blaming me or anyone else for other peoples deaths.

I would guess that there may have been believers killed that day also, and from the video I have seen it would have been a fast but horrific death.

The big difference would be that the believers were better able to stand before God in judgement when they met Him.

Of course if my faith, belief and trust is in error, then I guess they all just got obliterated and that was that and it's on THAT point that we stake our eternal existence.

Amen..

3. profile image0

re condemning those who died - yep, that's what is is implying.  Is illogical and actually cruel.  Same with the plonkers that say bad things are punishment from god.

So god might decide to act on a few prayers & spare a few - but not totally - they will likely have nightmares from the awful things they saw.   
              Lots of people are saying they are praying for no more earthquakes, no more tsunamis etc.  People aren't going to come back to life. Earthquakes & tsunamis have been happening longer than humans have walked earth, so they're not going to stop because of any devine intervention.

First God doesn't exist..

Then if He does then your judgement is better than His?

And then back to non-existent.

I think the inconsistency is proven.

God knows better, we can see that for sure.

smile

4. vector7 profile image60

The Bible is Earnest's "documented" answers to prayers, but He's concluded that document an exception from the pile. lol

smile

I should just stand aside and let you speak for me. smile

No No.. Please affirm or deny whether the hundreds of accounts of answered prayers in the Bible are accountable in your view.

smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol  no pick pick me lol

lol

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61
            Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

aqua, I absolutely agree with your replies. Some believe prayers are useless? Many are living today because of the prayers of believers.

And, many more are dead today. Notice that praying has the same effect as not praying. smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Nice twist Beelzedad, My statement was not applying to those who are dead. hmm Have a happy day. smile

Of course, I know, but it should hav applied if you wanted to make your statement valid. smile

Here ya go, now you can pick on me. Not to mention it's good to know you have power to know who has enough faith to make a difference with prayer.

Wait... You do understand faith right? Oh yeah, my fault... Atheist.

smile

2. Joy56 profile image68

I thought you were a good person.... you are not well are you

I'm very well thank you. smile
            I cannot understand how one can give a god "credit" for burying babies alive in a natural disaster. What is that saying about the dead? That they were sinners and god wanted them wiped out? Even the unborn and newly born? Or is it OK cos they were gonna grow up to be atheists?

1. Joy56 profile image68

you have a huge chip on your shoulder........ God is not the god of this system, Satan is........ God's time will come, i hope i live to see it, but if i dont i am confident god has a plan, and whatever we say or do, it will happen......... 

How are your grandchildren, your gifts from God.

As usual you do not make a logical argument. Either god did the hurricanes or he didn't. Please make up your mind. Are you now saying Satan did it?

1. profile image0

and apparently god made satan and evil too as god made everything and fails to act.  Good people get destroyed along with the bad - no special favours from god.  People just hold out believing that maybe they will get to live in a fantasy-land free of pain.

Sure, now it's back to blaming the evil on God.

I thought humans created their own problems?

More inconsistencies.

One viewpoint would prove useful.

smile

No Joy, it is you who carries the chip. smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

it was a natural disaster.......

Satan is god of the system at the moment, because god is allowing him to be.  That is why god is not stepping in right now........

I have no chip on my shoulder at all........ but your work always shows you do, it really does,   in the forum at least....... get it analysed, by a professional, what would i know, i am nobody. Without a chip. ha ha

Very insulting and not funny. Why not address the argument instead of side stepping with smarmy remarks?

2. profile image0

your god is helpless or doesn't care if he/she/it allows satan (another mythical being) to rule the roost.  Interestingly, every culture has creation stories, flood stories, a saviour, a devil (usually one that lives in dark waterways and eats people) eg Taniwha, Buniup

3. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Joy, Yes Satan is the ruler of this earth. God has a plan, and he will step in right on time, not before, but right on time. No offence, seems like some are confused about why God is allowing these things to happen.

3. profile image0

and are the children born with a brain missing 'gifts' too?

1. Joy56 profile image68

I really do not know are thy???????

1. profile image0

I don't believe anything is a gift from god.  Take rainbows - not a promise from god, but an optical effect resulting from raindrops reflecting & refracting light.  Can't make your own rainbows with the garden hose.

2. profile image0

I read a hub yesterday called 'Praying for Japan'.  It was about the earthquakes are a sign of the 'end-times' and they are praying people will 'get saved' by god before it is too late.

Superstitious nonsense

Or maybe they just have a heart and faith in a God you personally don't believe in. They don't call you ridiculous for not believing. And no one has proof that God exists, or doesn't exist.

Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge? As so many tell Christians not to do.

smile

1. profile image0

have a heart....that comes up so much, but no-one seems to be able to define this 'heart' you christians harp on about

Seems to me that you are hard to please ,no let me correct that ,impossible.

Why would anyone try?.

You appear to ask questions,that your mind already has made up.

7. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

Prayer is to get the pray-er up and active doing what God would have them do - which is to help.

I see lot nonfiction films where war troops almost always do a prayer in the name of God before going into battle.

I have better Idea, don't pray,  don't go into hell of a battle and spread radiation. Don't blame Satan in the end, avoid all that.

The prayer for Japan will not help as much as money or kindness, nothing selfish about that.

1. profile image0

speaking of battle, I recall much reference to 'spiritual warfare' & 'being in god's army', etc - a bit disturbing really

People are often disturbed by things they dont understand.

lol

Oh dear...

smile

Eaglekiwi

How do you understand wars between predominate religious countries or nation for over and over for 50 centuries, how did prayers help.

forgot ?

You said religious... Not Christ's true followers..

smile

Out of those Religions, Christianity is the champion at killing

I know they helped (prayers) because I trust in a God who loves me and is not a man so therefore doesnt lie.

Or do you see the glass as half full or half empty.

I see it full ,every day to overflowing.

People die through ,war ,vicious crimes, accidents,natural causes-such is life ,as we know it.

How do we know prayer has no effect? because we dont see an instant answer? or because it wasnt what we expected? or we simply didnt believe anything was going to happen.
                Jesus explained it all.
                But the people who love Jesus already know the 'power of prayer' and the other people who are suspicious ,wont be convinced anyway.

I will give Christians the same chance in prayer as I would give all Religions a 50/50 chance. We must keep everyone equal in God’s eyes

Just remember the countless numbers of things unseen prior to our intelligent technological advances.

And once you shut your mind to something, you'll never see it true until it slaps you in the face.

I know your stance is firm, but again not just for you. wink

There are actual evidences that people muster away with explanations. But when you start to accept a few things, the proof comes out the woodwork. God reveals to those who diligently seek with finding Him in mind. Don't ask me why or how, but I've seen it over, and over, and over again. Before I finally believed myself, and after.

Notice as well how the more intelligent we become, the smaller and more powerful the things we create are. Then look at your body and see if it isn't more complex than the most highly advanced piece of machinery on the planet. It even self-repairs. I want a car to do that. It's not about fear, and Hell, and God being bossy. It's about something outside of our knowledge that happened where we changed from what we should be, everyone equal to each other in love. . . to disobedient, selfish, and so on into a domino of what we are today. The domino effect is not just a fun setup with blocks. It describes how operating systems with malfunctions in the information of their designs come to failure. On Windows operating systems, you get a single error. This leads to two or so. Then the two errors become a missing system file. Which in turn leads to a failing program, that aids four other programs. And in turn crashes the system over a span of roughly four weeks. And to no avail, Re-install required. Why? One little flaw.

God is good and gives, and I'll admit He sounds like an over publicised joke because of the light people shed on Him. But the Bible has insights only available to those who really spend time to find them. Not searching to prove it wrong. Adam and Eve could do whatever they wanted subtract one thing, no matter the metaphor, they were happy. But disobedience rendered them flawed, and then the domino effect of a single flaw in a system. Look at today's world. Just like Windows... One error, mass failure.

And why is it so hard to believe when the human body itself starts out as two cells? Just the same humanity started out with two people. Moses certainly didn't know anything about cells or the human body beginning in that fashion, and yet we are called the body of Christ, which started way back then, not after Christ came. The Bible talked of Christ before you ever get out of Genesis.

The truth is the world is full of lies. Lying is not a natural thing, as we should have no need to lie if we are loving. But God is nothing but truth. But we can't believe the truth because we've learned that people lie, and that we must decide when things are unreasonable that someone is lying. In the case of the Bible, hundreds of people. But they aren't lying. Not a single one. It is a historical account of the chess game that God has set in action to blind side Satan and every other pawn on the board in order to save those of His body in service to Him, so He may again give them the goodness He wishes to give.

Course I'm sure someone will 'logic' or 'reason' it to death. They will simply prove the point.

Love you all...

~Daniel

2. pisean282311 profile image64

@Castlepaloma you got it right...it is not whether one prays to sun or jesus or sai...it is function of faith and how convinced your brain is that it can act based on that convictions...so you are right ...

Eaglekiwi, Very true, and some mock things they don't understand also.

Better to mock than to go to war, ignore or hate other groups.

If you give me a decent mock or insult, I am learning more about myself and I say thank you. The fearless types know it's all a matter of understanding

Mockery is disrespect, and I am guilty of it myself on this post, just now noticing my error.  I should not have mocked any of you.

And I apologise.

But mockery only adds fuel to the tiny flames of disagreement, and is wrong.

I only challenge disagreements with humor it is not disrespectful. Disrespect is not my part of my source of good intention.

Vector bone up and have some fun, you’re not going to mock an atheist ever, hah ha ha

lol

I was addressing the lot of them actually. In my apology and otherwise.

I was simply replying to mockery being better than war, which it is. But the lesser of two evils leads to the war. Just as the battle may be lost and the war is won. Many battles are in essence personal wars. I just find it very 'loaded' ground as your never sure when a betty will go off from the slightest wrong step.

I certainly was not 'coaching' you by any means. There are plenty others of which would deserve that much more so than you. Not only that, but my statements are only available to those who will accept them. Unlike those who demand things, I for one 'actually' follow God's rules of love, and for two am very well aware that demanding words are like attempting to shove the horses face in the water, in which case he simply runs off with your saddle...

smile

3. profile image0

I'm sure I understand what christians mean by 'spiritual warfare' etc.  I still find it disturbing that they go for the war metaphors, given war is so horrible

2. profile image0

could prayer be an excuse NOT to help - ie make the person praying feel they are genuinely doing something useful?

No harm in prayer, yet dose that really mean to a nation mainly of non religious Japanese,

Payer to them is like a cheap donation rather than real money, action or have some kind of phyical contact with them, this is for most of them anyways

Doing something helpful and praying are the things Christians are told to do. Unsure about anyone else. But to just pray and say "I've done my part" is ridiculous and lazy on any Christians part. Unless they physically can't help in some way, or maybe financially or whatever the case may be, praying should be with, not the only thing they do.

smile

8. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I would have thought that by now, after all the carnage caused by natural disasters, and the horror that follows, the idea that prayer helps would have died of natural causes! smile

Very kind atheist you are to be so open as to allow others to their opinion without trashing it. That is not very nice Earnest.

smile

When did earnest convert to Atheists , why are we not as old as 969 years old like one man is in the bible. I guess we are all not good enough at praying, so who trashing who?

I'm very unsure at what your trying to imply. I simply said I think it unkind to sarcastically remark about something important to another group of people. And I'm unsure, but He doesn't believe in my God, and the sarcasm is still noted. What is it that I said wrong exactly?

smile

A lot things are middle grounds ask earnest where he is at.  Few things need to be so extremely right or wrong, like if one is atheist and you’re with your God the one and only.

Knowing a few things about Japan culture and is mainly non Religious will their dead go the heaven or Hell. You will find  Buddhish and nature has their own form of recycling death afterlife

Please give a thought or prayer of good intention it can be helpful, just not in so much in an imposed salvational way.

9. Woman Of Courage profile image61
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Praying that God will give the survivors in Japan the mental strength to endure will make a difference. I am sure there are people in Japan that will appreciate the prayers to help them cope with the devastating ordeal which they are facing right now. I have giving my donations to help Japan. We have to realize everyone does not have money at this time to donate. That's why many are praying to God to give these people the strength to make it through each day.

Apparently you are correct. The Japanese Emperor has just said he will pray for Japan. smile

Hi earnest, really?  That's very good. I  have been watching CNN regularly to keep posted on what's going on. smile

As you may have guessed, I listen to the ABC here in Australia. smile
          .... and the BBC out of London which includes specialist Asian and European stations.

That's good.

lol

I love you WOC... Your truly a gift from God.

smile

Thank you. I love you too. smile I give God the glory for he truly deserve it. I have witnessed the power of prayer in my life and in the lives of others.

We've witnessed the power of prayer recently, just like we witnessed it on Boxing Day, 2004. Notice that hundreds of thousands of people died and no amount of prayer made any difference? smile

Now how about those wireless phones? Can't see the other person so it's got to be a prank right? Invisible stuff doesn't exist. Everyone knows that.

smile

2. profile image0

people will be resilient & survive - otherwise, the human race would have been wiped out long ago.  I think you are deluded in your belief that prayers actually help people be stronger.  Might fool the person doing the praying into thinking they are doing something special.

I have to agree to disagree. Praying is special. I find it hard to believe that God didn't answer any of your prayers. It's best to pray God's will is done. Believe it or not, God answers prayers. We may not always recieve the answer which we are expecting. God is a higher spiritual authority, and his ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts. The sooner you accept the ways that God intervene, it will reduce the confusion. I am not trying to upset you. I love you Bailey.

1. profile image0

I find it creepy that someone that has never met me says they love me.

Why pray for god's will when god does what he wants anyway?

1. pisean282311 profile image64

well being ex christian you might be used to this...

God's will changes at times when those He loves ask for mercy. Though the natural order of things set in place by time may bring about harsh things, or when a person does something bad to someone such as kidnapping. The family praying for their daughter to come home safely may be granted God's mercy to change a circumstance and make an exception for those who try to serve Him and beg Him for mercy. It is His will that changes by means of love for those who pray to Him. Of course He's not going to sacrifice His master plan of salvation or something of that nature, but the above situation is a good representation of why and how prayers work. Unless you refuse to believe.

And I love you baileybear.. I love every person on the planet.

smile

1. profile image0

cringe.. sorry but I find your sentiments hollow.

And how do you explain things when the person that prayed ends up with their daughter raped & murdered?

I'm guessing you want me to be God?

And I don't understand how my sentiments are hollow. How could you possibly know how I felt about humanity? I did not state I want to marry you. I stated I love you as an intelligent person with ideas, thoughts, family, feelings and much more I'm sure. Cringe away, I'm sorry that love is disgusting to you, but it won't change anything.

Let me guess by the way... God is responsible for that because why? Because He sits in the seat of ultimate authority? I'm certain He will answer you when you see Him, and your not the only one with those questions. That is also not the only bad thing that happens in this world. You say God should bring justice all the time, yet Hell is not to exist? Is the murderer in your scenario to go to Heaven? God gives every man his time on earth to do good or evil. When that person dies, then judgement on whether they looked to find God (Jesus Christ) to fix the disobedient way they were given through the genes of Adam, and whether they 'actually' attempted to do good. We are to try to be as loving as we can and to do good to others. I'm guessing there is a problem with a repeat rapist and murderer going to Hell?

I don't see how anyone can miss the point. Christ Jesus was the 'fix' for all of mankind including Adam and Eve. Anyone who will accept we are imperfect and tell God we need Him, and will attempt to do what is good is accepted by God. 

The murderer certainly didn't care whether he was evil, or whether that evil hurt anyone at all. Many times they perpetrate the same acts multiples of times over and over in their lives with NO concern for others bringing utter horror to people who try to love and be good. So God sees NO remorse and no concern for others. No love. Is He to allow that man into Heaven to continue his wonderful attacks? If someone "NEVER" changes and will ALWAYS be cruel and mean and hateful and ALWAYS hurts others, then I don't think it wrong to punish them at all. Heaven is for those who love the God who controls it and those who know we need Him. We are to love and to do good to everyone to the best of our ability. And when we get mad at each other, we are not being loving, and God doesn't like it. Therefore we will need God's grace to 'fix' us before we are to step foot in Heaven, which the murderer will never enter...

smile

1. profile image0

love is not disgusting to me.
                    We are total strangers - to say you love me is totally weird

Hi Bailey, I love everyone. It doesn't matter to me if I have not met someone personally.

1. profile image0

lets be practical here - how can you LOVE over 6 BILLION strangers you have never met?  Including the murderers, rapists etc? 

I love my husband and my son.  I do not have the capacity to love 6 BILLION people that I do not know.

Yet sometimes I hear you having the capacity to judge and denergrade Christians ,that you do not know either?

I accept that you have your own opinions and experiences to share,but I wish you wouldntlet it cloud the experiences of others.

1. profile image0

I'm no longer a christian, apparently I'm an "evil" atheist, so I have no moral obligation to not judge

I wasnt big on judging people before I met Jesus.

I am even less so now.
                    Just secure in who I am and who I belong too ,and where Im headed smile

2. profile image0

have I attacked you or other christians here personally?  I have asked valid questions here and shared my observations and debated ideas. 

So far on this thread, I have been personally accused of being hateful, judgmental, disgusted by love & more.

Seems like some people cannot stay objective when debating ideas and resort to personal attacks.

I never mentioned the word 'attack'
                    Im not that thin-skinned.

No I said what I meant.

10. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Prayer takes the edge off of helplessness. For some.

That would seem to be a fair comment. smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

you have redeemed yourself...

11. R L M profile image61
    R L Mposted 13 years ago

natural disaster speaks for itself - nothing and nobody can change it but people can learn from it analysing it and make conclusions;
    if New Orleans is flooded every year isn't it clear that nature takes possession of the space and no prays an help those people to avoid it - nature simply shows them to go away to another place to live.
    Nature is the one who knows best and makes harmony beyond our understanding what and how everything should be;

so when natural disasters are happened there is a reason for it: either it was the wrong place to live on from the very beginning or that was just a matter of when not a matter of if disaster happened.
    people at some point know disaster is coming but they ignore it willingly or unwillingly.

12. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

This made me laugh lol On one side they claim god being highly powerful, ugabuga controls everything including time and on second side, gods time will come ? tsk tsk.

Misunderstanding is a human thing.

smile

13. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I would like to see just one conversation on religion where one of my points is argued instead of a goddunnit. I argue about religion with a good knowledge of the subject, where is the counter point?
    I can never get a believer to discuss brain chemistry and how it effects belief, mind sciences and what we know about religiosity in relation to the mind, discussions by religionists about Lawrence Krauss and other religious detractors opinions and why they are wrong, a religionist who has read "the hedonistic imperative, or anything else about the human condition and how it relates to the discussion, the subconscious and how it fits in to belief, or anything other than "the good book." It makes me feel they just don't read anything that disagrees with them. I will discuss the bible and quote it, why nothing from the other side. (Apart from a discourse with one religious hubber. just curious, no one else seems able to broaden the discussion to include any other information. I'm just about over it. sad Closed minds?

1. Joy56 profile image68

oh good does that mean you are going to give us a bit of peace.

Not winning Joy?

1. Joy56 profile image68

are you allowed to swear on the forums we will give it a try

piss off

I think you are pretty safe Joy I won't report it. smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

I so love you

... and I thought only my parrot loved me! smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

what colour is the parrot..... colour colour colour

Eric is a green person/parrot. He is smaller than a cockatoo and a very noisy bad little bird! smile When he is very bad he bites and screeches as loud as a fire truck. I hate him! Not really, but he is a little turd! He bashes cats, dogs and people.

2. profile image0

Hey ernest. Don't  get mad and leave already. You are very intetesting. smile

Hey curious, I hope the last word in your post wasn't a Freudian slip! lol

1. profile image0

lol So sorry. I swype and come up with the oddest words some times. I think you are definitely interesting. You have good thoughts.

Thank you, you are too kind. All three of my little grandchildren buy and sell me daily! lol lol

1. Joy56 profile image68

I am waiting to hear that one of them has grown up and become a morman or j.w. or someting, and actually had you wondering.........  how could you not follow one of them into their world..... ha ha ah

I dunno Joy, the eldest twin girl has already asked me who made the big bang. She saw it on TV apparently.
                I have allowed all my kids to learn about anything they like including religion. No takers yet. My Chinese son (adopted) was born in PRC and bought up without a god, He was a chorister in one of our largest churches for 6 years! Guess who drove him and went to all his choir practice with him. smile

1. profile image0

I'm encouraging my son to be more open-minded.  He didn't want to do religious ed at school, but I said it would be good for him to see what some people believe

2. profile image0

I empathize. Kids walk all over me too, but they're only kids once and they let me pretend to be a kid too, so it's worth it.

I secretly love to give them lots of freedom of expression, I get to hear so much kid stuff, and it is truly a beautiful thing. Children reduce me to tears of joy at times. Must be gettin old and soft! smile

1. profile image0

Kids definitely have a unique and refreshingly honest outlook. No shame, or age, required for tears of joy in my book. Just means you appreciate the important things in life. smile

The little boy is six, his twin sisters are 5. They are too cute for words! You are spot on, kids lay it on the line. I heard the younger twin mumble "Silly granpa" the other day, then she flashed me a brilliant smile! I was being silly but did not expect to be called on it!

Sometimes I wish they weren't so smart! lol

14. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Really ? how do you know ?

which channel is airing this reliable holy information ?

15. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Prayers have no use against calamities. Calamities are allowed by God

16. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

I don't think anyone is trying to be malicious by saying they will pray for Japan's victims and survivors. It's their way of saying "I have empathy for the people suffering in this situation and I truly hope that things will improve". I'm not religious, so I don't tell people I will pray for them but when something bad happens I do usually say "they are in my thoughts" or something like that. It's a way of recognizing that something terrible has happened and that I'm not ignoring it.

Of course, prayer and "good thoughts" aren't actually going to actually be of any tangible help, so I'd prefer if we all backed up our prayers and good thoughts with donations and aid, but I don't think just saying "I'm praying for things to get better" is a bad thing. It's meant to be a kind thing.

1. profile image0

I doubt that there is malice in it - probably just more foolishness. 

Just curious as to how people think it really helps, or whether it is just a figure of speech these days to say they are praying.

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
        dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they mean it to help tangibly, it's more an attempt to let the victims and survivors know that other people are aware of the situation and feel bad for them. It's meant as emotional support.

Prayer and action is doubling ya efforts I say lol.

Baileybear if you dont think prayer helps ,easy answer is dont do it -logic wink really

1. profile image0

How profound. smile Would that everyone followed such a simple and sage piece of advice we could move on to more interesting and worthy discussions.

I have my moments lol

You tha bomb kiwi..

(you hear things at mcdonalds..)

lol

Do you pray also for other Religions or other predominate non religious contries like Japan dead, not to go to hell?

My brother who is a pastor prays for my Atheist mother at her death to go to heaven, do you think it worked?

Can you pray without Jesus salvation?

You ask many questions. I think the best person to ask would be God. If you don't believe in God then I suppose the answer to your questions would prove useless.

smile

I do asked a question to God, if I do ask a silly question, then God gives me a silly answers.

Then I ask a better question related and get a quiet voice better answer, then what I thought could be.

The answer this time, be closer to my Japanese friends and do what you can to help.

vector no talk of weapons on my shift please ,you'll get me shot -oops lol..

Oh hey funny you mentioned Micky'D's ,it was actually Walmart,I kid you not,  these ladies thought I was sweet( think it was the  accent) hehe and what do ya know ,next thing we were talkin about food standards, and free food samples (like where were they lol) and as we munched and crunched on new Tortilla chips ,I said:

I wonder if Jesus ever had chip n dip lol this good!!

I made new friends smile

How cool is that. big_smile I love making new friends, especially because of Jesus! lol

You just can't beat the conversation..  wink

smile

2. profile image0

you might have found this boring, but I think the responses have been quite interesting

1. profile image0

No bailey bear. The answers are interesting. And enlightening. It has been my observation that the enlightenment is lop sided. Perhaps a different tack is in order? This one appears on a course to no where, but I just got here a month or two ago. I doubt I have been here long enough to make a studied judgement. smile

1. profile image0

which side seems more enlightened to you?  I am pleased that the thread has generated interesting discussion - didn't know how to word the OP being such a delicate subject matter, as people are suffering in Japan

1. profile image0

Your side, in many ways. This belief that you are blessed through prayer, and sinners suffer because they don't is sad. But it doesn't appear as if anyone gets that, other than the ones who already knew it. I wonder if there will come a time where everyone understands the meaning of the term natural disaster.

1. profile image0

that's exactly why I have a problem with prayer - the attitude that those who pray get blessed & those that have bad things happen weren't 'right with god'

Eaglekiwi, Exactly. One should allow people to pray in peace who desire to pray. There is nothing foolish about praying. You hit the nail on the mark. smile

3. profile image0

In the OP, I didn't ask whether I should pray or not (I no longer do), but rather whether people thought it was any use (particularly with natural disasters)

I believe they are implying it does. And, I think it was a branch off of the trunk of the tree.

17. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

Having personally being victim of earthquake , I understand importance of prayers..but not done by others but those who themselves have suffered...It doesnot work as far as tangible results is concerned but it works for mental state of victims and belief me when nature strikes one needs lot of mental strength to overcome that...prayer helps in that....

1. profile image0

did you pray to god?  the universe?  or was it giving yourself a pep talk?

1. pisean282311 profile image64

I didnt...i dont believe in religious god who would bail me out....i am talking about people living around me , in my building...they did and it worked for them is seeing through those tough times...prayers do work in that sense....

18. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

spiritualspark3 has been banned.

He emailed me, and also asked me to post a reply to another person who was participating on this forum.

I do not think it appropriate to do so,so havent.

Takes time to grow in wisdom.

Thats all kids , pass the popcorn plse smile

Eaglekiwi  about spiritualspark3

Interesting enough guy, I tried to calm him down because he was a bit of a loose cannon.

How long is he banned for?

1. profile image0
        BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How does someone get banned?
        What did he do??

I an immune to insults, sparky is new and got involved in too many really heated insults with many members, I wonder myself what did he do to go over the line

I agree with ya there Castle, Im sure timeout will see him back soon fighting fit lol.

I dont know how long he is banned for.

19. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Beelzedad wrote:
    Yes, I understand believers have a difficult time distinguishing reality from fantasy. Everyone knows that.

==============================

ME     ??????   
    Is there a distinct line between fantacy and reality?   I mean really ?   
      who gets to draw the line between fantacy and reality ??

fantacy may be but another verson of reality ?

Maybe reality is but one small portion of fantacy?

Maybe fantacy is the real deal and it is up to us to establish one fantacy or another as our reality ?

Interesting, in a way.

My son chatted to me about the same things ,bit like 'Mattrix?

What truly amazes me is the brain/mind and how its all wired!!
      Then theres the psycology aspect.

God is Awesome!

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am constantly being amazed.   ,, at the simplicity  of the hard to understand.   

I think that all of humanity is just too educated for it's own good.   Sometimes I think that we have all tricked ourselves in our own understanding.

something like that anyway.

You mean like a little bit of knowledge is dangerous?

Just enough to condemn yourself so they say...

smile

True

Little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Reality, of course. smile

Relativity is a perfect example of reality isn't it?

smile

Yes, it is, do you understand relativity? smile

Absolutely, in it's entirety, and special relativity as well. I also agree that the speed of light is a constant.

smile

LOL! One whopper after another. smile

One baseless assumption after another.

smile

20. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol

I know what you mean.

Brings to mind a parable Jesus taught:

Unless a person becomes like a child ,(childlike,not childish) they find it hard to accept,believe and not doubt.

Children believe what their father tells them 'faithfully' because he is DAD!
    Thats what Jesus was saying..God is our Father and what father doesnt want good things for His kids smile

Bless you Jerami!

(Sorry Vector ,my post was sposed to be under Jerami -smile

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Much apreciated .

And back atcha   

I don't think that we were put here to know what the big picture looks like.

We Wuddunt suposed to know what the right hand was doing.
        That would take all of the fun out of it.   I think

God is good. Faith like a child kiwi.. Exactly.  wink

Christ said God was our Father, and that's exactly what I call Him. Wrote a poem for Him the other day.

And I love my Father very much....

smile

21. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Off with his head. To the dungeons he must go.

Hey Vector ,your humilty reminds me so much of this song we used to sing, do ya know it?

I am loved , I am loved , I can risk loving you

Because the one who loves me most ,loves me the best smile

lol I like it.

Never heard it before. I should jot that down...

smile

22. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Aint it grand that even though He remembers we came from dust ,still He delights in us!

Sad news or good news big_smile GOOD NEWS BABY~

Your somethin else kiwi... lol

And I agree.

big_smile

23. Mjacinth profile image58
    Mjacinthposted 13 years ago

Greetings to all hubbers.  I have read some of the mail about what is the use of prayer in natural disasters. Well, I suppose that not everyone is not the same, we do not all believe the same thing, add to that we are living in a pluralistic society.  With all of this in mind, there will be differences of opinion.  Actually I choose to believe in praying to an almighty God.  I do not understand everything, I cannot explain whys and wherefores, but I do believe in God and that He hears and answers prayers. I know too that people will suffer, innocent people at that.  Yes help must be given to the people of Japan, it is not enough to prayer but it must be followed by practical help.  Thats all for now.

God bless you all

24. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image60
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years ago

prayers, in some sense motivate people into action, for some people consider prayers a buzz kill this works, for others, they just

25. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

In this time of need
    May the suffering
    Find some sanity
    To accept the things
    They cannot change
    Find the courage
    To change the things
    They can
    And have the
    Wisdom to know the difference

Well said smile

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
        HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very long replies, I guess I would say that prayer calms us, gives a security in an unstable environment, and in a disaster, our only hope is that God will let us survive and live another day.  It may not stop the storm, and might.

You never know how God will answer!

kimberly, Agreed. smile

26. arb profile image77
    arbposted 13 years ago

It seems to me that praying allows for the possibility of answer. I think that is sufficient reason when the other alternative (not praying) prohibits possibility. Prayer is not the substitute for action, it is the precursor. It is the voice of faith, but, even lacking faith, the possibility of answer, is reason enough. What does it say of us if we do not have a few moments in our day to ask comfort to rain upon Japan? Perhaps, we would rather be right in our opposition to God than for their suffering to be eased. I would prefer being proved wrong about God, after all, who have I hurt by praying and if He is there, He will not ask of me, why I did not cry out on their behalf. If crying out on their behalf offends the unbeliever, perhaps it is time to evaluate the reason behind the question!

Beautiful response...

God bless your heart..

big_smile

27. French Fancy profile image60
    French Fancyposted 13 years ago

Simply?
    Faith....

Hallelujah!!!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!

Praise God!!

Yeh! make everyone god!!!

28. aware profile image68
    awareposted 13 years ago

I don't pray .   But i know some that do  . I think it  puts them at ease  and  acts as a release  for the pent up    angst  we all have in life .      i say let  those that  want to pray do so without   judgment

1. profile image52

Yes, everybody should be free to pray to the Creator-God; leaving judgement to Him.

There is no law against prayer, yet at a Christian dinner table it must be about Jesus and his Father.

"must"?

I make no one pray or make demands of who to pray to if they do. I only ask for respect of the name God. No GDing at the table yes. They can choose what they wish to do at the dinner table so long as it's not a spell with crow legs and frogs heads.... lol

smile

1. profile image0

well, I've just put some cane toads in the freezer - might make a good witches brew

1. kirstenblog profile image78
              kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mmmm can I have a cup o that witches brew when its finished?

I love me some yummy witches brew! tongue *licks lips*

lol

yuck...

cool

2. profile image0

now 5 big fat cane toads in freezer waiting for rubbish day - toxic pest in australia

vector7

If a Muslim Family came to your house for dinner and everyone prayed a Muslim prayer out loud. They prayed just before the meal and did not allow you and your Family to say a Christian prayer, would you dislike it?

lol

You turning the bullet on me? You mean "not allow" me to pray and thank God for my food. Sorry, I can pray to my God with my eyes open or shut, people talking or not. And so can my family. My God hears all of my prayers and no I will not eat my food until I thank Him for it.

They can pray all they want, and I'll be respectful to them. But I'm not going to abandon my own prayers because someone carries a different opinion.

Not allow is a control thing, and I will surrender many things in this life including freedom.. All of my freedom except of my God. I will not deny Him, nor be denied praying to Him. I'd rather die. Yes, I know. Extreme for you. Death carries no weight when you know God is real.

I hope you don't condemn me for that.

smile

(I would) second thoughts depends on who hes prayin too..

But its my house ,so generally speakin it my rules smile

Maybe I'm 'too' humble? I'm not sure if too humble is even possible.. Maybe? I haven't given that much thought actually...

smile

29. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

If we put all of you in one room what would happen? lol

They would agree on one thing at dinner,

That their Religion is the one and only right way to God

Please, pass the hot piping sheep’s brains

Wait a minute.
        Are you implying that Christians have sh for brains.

Oh so you dont follow any laws?

Hmm..

Its funny to me when I hear people make fun of Christians for following Gods laws ,yet they follow laws themselves ,but thats ok because its them thinking for themselves -yea right !

Your gods law says to kill your children for talking back. Which law that you are aware agrees with that? smile

Not my God.

And furthermore my children are alive and well ,so facts follow proof ,do they not?

1. profile image0

Hey. Is it my imagination, or are the nay sayers in particularly rare form this weekend?

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Yes, your god.

Yes, the facts do follow proof, you disobey your god, that is a fact. smile

Prove it is fact for me !

You cant.

Silly statement to accuse me then.

You proved it yourself, your children are alive, which is proof you disobeyed your god. smile

Such a silly statement.

Dont follow you ,but since you dont answer my questions ,guess it doesnt matter lol

Same with your god, you don't follow him either. Seems we have much in common. I wouldn't kill my children either in the name of your god. smile

You haven't anything left to resort to. Therefore you run to the desperate case pulling out those scriptures. Apparently you still don't have proof God doesn't exist either?

smile

Eaglekiwiposted 54 minutes ago in reply to this
          Wait a minute.
          Are you implying that Christians have sh for brains.
          Oh so you dont follow any laws?

Yes, my law would be simplified to be honest and don't harm,
          My law of love, would never imply sh for brains to any group, just over ego

It's Just that groups like Politician, Nerds, Atheist, Scientist have higher IQs than the Christian, groups, Bush is a fine example

1. profile image0

Hey castle. What's up this weekend? All the nay sayers are being horribly mean. That was a wicked harsh post. And I mean wicked only in the most modern vernacular. smile

I just go with the flow of my conscious and subconscious thoughts and co creates with God.

All groups have upsides and downsides; I make the too comfortable- uncomfortable and uncomfortable- comfortable

1. profile image0

Co create with God huh. I thought the devil made you do it. lol

Ok. I hope I never have reason to make you that creative. smile

You are creative and God made you in his imagine, did he not?

1. profile image0

I'll be honest. I've had enough for one day of these ridiculous arguments. Nothing good is accomplished. No one wants to listen to each other. Everyone simply wants to shove their ideas out there and then argue. I cannot understand why everyone is so set in their minds. I swear I think half the people here have to be geriatric. This makes no sense.

Sheep brains implies over obedience and blind faith like sheep

Yep is how I understood how you meant it.

To follow (like sheep) after Christ is not blindly,or without thought.

Bleating like sheep while following Christ certainly is without thought. smile

But Atheists claim that Religion has/are controlling everyone and creating wars?

If there Intelligence were of any value ,how did they let this happen?

Greedy rich tooling the religious righteous for more control and they most often pray before battle in the name of God

The soldiers are not evil. The government leaders created the wars, and if someone attacks your country you don't let them kill all your children. I don't agree with war, but those men you are talking about "praying" before battle do it to protect you. I don't feel it's very honourable to demean them in such a way.

Can you imagine a USA President ever being elected without being Christian in your life time? Let’s say a President being an Atheist, Jew, Muslim or non religious

Irrelevant to my prior statement. Soldiers are not evil. They want to protect their children at home. They didn't create the war.

smile

30. profile image0
    The Quiz Masterposted 13 years ago

When did praying actually achieve something?
    If prayer actually worked then we would all be lottery winners.
    Go ahead and pray if it makes you feel better but it would be better to donate some money and do something more constructive with your time.
    Believing in a God is susperstitious mumbo jumbo and dates back to when we were cave men and didn't know any better.
    I would have thought the human race would have reached a level of intelligence by now to realise this.

1. profile image0

Actually, studies show that those who pray donate, on average, 4 times more to charity than those who don't. Sounds to me like they are multi tasking pretty well.

Yep to date God has best interest rates smile 100% plus returns,with on going benefits lol

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trollin trollin trollin. lol

Liars for Jesus.

1. profile image0

Morning sunshine. smile

I see you trolled your way to my pitiful thoughts on the subject. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to the truth? I'm always looking. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

No, no you are not. sad

1. profile image0

Well, that's an opinion. You know what they say about those here in the states. cool

Simply because I am not interested in internalizing a jaded and unrealistic view of the world does not mean I don't seek truth. It simply means I am not willing to follow a path I see as not in harmony. I do concede that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

You can continue to harass me, which is well within your rights. Or go away. Your right too. Or (and this would be my choice) actually share your thoughts in a nonconfrontational manner.

I bow to whatever your decision is on this matter. smile

Dear me. I am not harassing you. Sorry - is it against the law to express an opinion in your country? I did not realize. lol

I do find you rather funny and am immune to your trolling. I would be interested in what you get out of it though. Is there some pleasure to be derived from doing what you do? But I never really understood peopel who derive pleasure from causing conflicts. I guess I never really understood the Christian mindset so I just do not get the idea of pleasure from conflict. Perhaps you could explain it to me?

1. profile image0

I'm very confused by your reply. I thought I made it clear that it was within your rights to do whatever you pleased.

Hmmm, I do relish reading the opinions of others. And I have had a few people recommend interesting reading. There have been a few laughs, and I have learned a few things. So, all in all, I can honestly say this has been a good experience for me. It sounds (from your comments) that my presence has produced a negative effect on you. If this is the case I apologize.

I believe it was the dalai lama who suggested that if you can do something about a problem, there is nothing to worry about. If you can't do something about it there is nothing to worry about. This problem we have would fit into that category for me.

Sorry - I seem to have upset you again. Is that why you did not answer my questions? Nothing negative - as I said - I find you funny. I do not have a problem - I am genuinely interested in the pleasure you seem to derive from the way you act. 

But I understand if you don't want to answer. A lot of religious people like yourself do seem rather cut off from themselves. No worries.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

Trollin trollin trollin. lol

Little wonder your religion causes so many conflicts. sad

More pointless opinions?

smile

4. Castlepaloma profile image76

Mark you did not answer just _ curios comment to.....

Actually, studies show that those who pray donate, on average, 4 times more to charity than those who don't. Sounds to me like they are multi tasking pretty well.

IReligious people are 25% more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). Religion donating their time and money at the higher rates typical of all religious believers, so the reason why religious people give is more to do with their own politics in which politics has a lot to do with getting your own way. About 78 percent of Americans donated some money to at least one church.

The group in the United States that donate the highest percentages of their income are the poor (those making less than $20,000 per year.) Religious sector and religious organizations. .... of their donations go to churches and other religious purposes. ... Most of their donations are given to churches and related interest to their religion, rather than to other out side of religious purposes.

1. profile image0

Yes, I know. It occurred to me after I posted that that religion is considered a charitable contribution. I don't consider that a charity. It would be interesting to see the statistics if that was taken out of the mix.

Charity Donations are Tax Deductible

Donations of cash and property to qualified non-profits are tax deductible. To be deductible, taxpayers must keep records of their contributions. In the religious case it is tax free and hidden often. The one and only god religious politic dose mix well with most other core belief religions and non religious thoughts

Politics in which politics has a lot to do with getting your own way. , rather than for other out side  purposes.

1. profile image0

Well, in fairness, it has been my observation that people seek power for personal gain; rarely for the common good. Religious or otherwise.

Odd thing about many veteran artists is they look at the world as their Family often enough more than their own blood family and money is secondary.

Why one big reason I do not belong to any one group, is most groups want to separate.

OOWSP forgot to edit

31. Eaglekiwi profile image74

The best answer to sum up it all up (IMO) is with one answer :

Faith.

The Christian lives by faith , hope in things 'unseen'.Note it doesnt say 'all things' because clearly we often see change in a person ,or circumstances as a result of prayer combined with other things. Never the less if do some research on the testimonies of certain individuals ,you would conclude at the very least ,an intervention of a divine being smile

http://www.allaboutfollowingjesus.org/faith-in-god.htm

Prayer is not treating God like a Santa Claus  or good fairy ,therefore the 'gimme gimme' notion of requesting $$ to satisfy the 'me' syndrome is not going to happen.

1. jay_kumar_07 profile image60
      jay_kumar_07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES
      FAITH
      Disaster death ed people are  in paradise .But people in earth are praying.
      what a beauty.

32. Eaglekiwi profile image74

What is a troll?
    A Hub piece of jargon ,cuz I thought they lived under a bridge lol

33. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Oh you two just kiss n make up dammit smile

1. profile image0

Well the thought of that's going to throw him into a snit.  lol

34. Eaglekiwi profile image74

No not your imagination lol

Full moon last night?

35. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Natural disasters are a respite for the human beings from the Creator-God to return to the path of purpose of life created by Him; which man has forgotten to pursue in the course of the man's routine material life. So prayer helps man to ask forgiveness from the Creator-God; and man pledges again to tread on the peaceful and truthful path set for man by the Creator-God; it is a warning and a respite: And if Allah were to punish men for their wrongdoing. He would not leave therein a living creature, but He gives them respite till an appointed term, and when their term is come, they cannot remain behind a single hour, nor can they go ahead of it. (16:62) To undestand its philosophy one many like to access:

1. Cagsil profile image70

lol lol You're too funny Paar. lol lol

1. profile image52

What is so funny about it?

36. Eaglekiwi profile image74

If we leave out certain labels it would be easy to see that men and womens) hearts can be quite wicked.

God made me do it. The devil made me do it.

Lame.

37. Eaglekiwi profile image74

I also think it comes full circle back to Faith.

God didn't make me. But He's really persuasive... lol

And Amen.. Faith.

smile

38. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

And if Allah were to punish men for their wrongdoing. He would not leave therein a living creature, but He gives them respite till an appointed term, and when their term is come, they cannot remain behind a single hour, nor can they go ahead of it. (16:62) To undestand its philosophy one many like to access:

39. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

The law of attraction... you are sending positive energy to the people who are in need of help. There is nothing wrong with it. Prayer is free and when everyone's energy is concentrated over a particular territory, or over a specific group of people, miracles happen. It gives those in need the strength to put their lives back together.

1. profile image52

I agree with you.

One is concentrated and set for reconstruction physically and also one can reform oneself spiritually to the purpose of creation and evolution.

40. a2z-a2z.com profile image60
    a2z-a2z.composted 13 years ago

As per the original question, what use is prayer in natural disaster? I think, Prayer in natural disasters can be a means of closeness to God.

41. Eaglekiwi profile image74

But for some reasons Atheists feel this great need to try and belittle me...

Insecure perhaps?

Just wierd.

1. profile image0

belittling you or challenging your belief system?  I have done the latter; if you feel belittled, you're getting your emotions in the way & taking it personally

I can tell the difference,trust me.

A person can only feel belittled or insulted if you allow it. You own opinion about yourself is the most important opinion in the world.

Test it.

Insult me and give it your best shot.

1. profile image0
            BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too true! big_smile

2. profile image0

have I belittled you?

No, I am 6 feet tall.

Or is it another open ended comment for anyone?

42. Sanyiel profile image60
    Sanyielposted 13 years ago

To give my own opinion on this:
    Prayer does not have any use in natural disasters. Asking a being whose existence is uncertain for help isn't even equivalent to sending one penny to help out.
    If these people truly wanted to help, then they would send money or aid.
    Obviously, if they're poor and unable to send anything, then they can probably get away with not doing so. big_smile

1. profile image52

Religious people do both the things; they pray for the affectees and also send money to help them:

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami - 12K Deaths
      Humanity First Continues to Help in Dangerous Conditions

On March 11 Tsunami spawned by one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded slammed Japan’s eastern coast Friday, sweeping away people, cars and homes while widespread fires burned out of control.

The death toll continues to rise, hospitals are overwhelmed with patients are running out of supplies, and millions of people have been without food, water or shelter for days. Around 63,255 buildings have either been destroyed or damaged, and more 400,000 people are in emergency shelters. There are now 4 nuclear reactors which are in critical condition and it is feared that the radioactivity is increasing around Fukushima area however the rescue teams are still arriving in the area and the search operation is still going on.

March 12th Humanity First Disaster Response Team is doing the relief work in Fukushima city which is very near to the Fukushima atomic power plant - 1. Humanity First team has initiated a soup kitchen to serve cooked food and water to the displaced people.

March 15th Humanity First continues to assist the victims of Tsunami. The team has moved its relief camp to Sendai, the city that was completely washed away after the Tsunami. The Humanity First team was one of the first to reach this badly affected area.

March 16th HF is managing the relief camp at Junior high School in Miyagi prefecture, Sendai

http://www.humanityfirst.ca/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)