Aarrgh! Stupid thieving bloggers!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (32 posts)
  1. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 15 years ago

I noticed my Hub on Angelina Jolie's tattoos was being flagged as a duplicate, and it turns out that the content has been stolen/copied and now appears on no less than 71 blogs or other pages.

How the heck is a person supposed to keep up with this?

I could take a flamethrower to the lot of them....

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not sure how this service could be used with hubpages but works well for me on my blogs

http://www.copyscape.com/

On the bright side - that could be 71 sites where you could request a proper backlink (if you had that sort of time)

2. Ms._Info profile image67
    Ms._Infoposted 15 years ago

You might try setting up google alerts for your hubs  and key phrases from your hubs and you'll be alerted anytime your hubs show up anywhere on the web.

3. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Damn, that's overkill.

4. relache profile image72

I'm going to try rewriting my own content.  I don't have the time to file dozens of DMCAs.

5. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

email support here - they will unflag the duplicate penalty here at hubapges - so long as google thinks you are the original it doesnt really matter - if any of the buggers are above you in the serps DMCIA them

6. relache profile image72

So, I rewrote the text on my Angelina Jolie hub after all those bloggers copied my text and it went out to dozens of sites.  The word count on that Hub just about doubled from my rewrite.

Two days later the duplicate content warning is gone, and I've had over 11,000 pageviews from Yahoo seach in the last day.

I never thought having a Hub ripped off by bloggers would wind up benefiting my Hub, but it sure did.

Trippy....

1. Em Writes profile image69
      Em Writesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sweet! Hopefully at least a few of those 11,000 views resulted in clicks.

7. DJ Funktual profile image75
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

That is f'in great relache!

8. relache profile image72

Thanks, DJ!

Clearly, I'll need to go over to Analytics later today and take a good look at what's happening.

9. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 15 years ago

When life hands relache lemons, she makes lemonade. And then she gets 11,000 new customers.

relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just for the record, those 11,000 folks earned me $32 from one hub in one day.  That's more than my hottest Halloween hub did on its best day.

Angie honey, wherever you are, you and Brad just keep adopting kids and getting tattooed, m'kay?

10. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

We're working on a system that will help you locate some of the places that have copied your content.  You'll still have to file the DMCA complaints, but it should help you stay on top of what's happening.

relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

At this point, my Hub no longer resembles the stolen content, so if anyone wanted to say that the copy on their web page wasn't like what's on my Hub, they'd be right.

Given how much revenue that page earns me, it would a be a money-loosing deal on my end to pay for services to track the content.

As for filing DMCAs, I'd still be stuck with a penalized Hub with a greatly reduced score, being punished on this end for not having done anything wrong all while having to go to all the trouble to make about six dozen individualized and personalized DMCA letters and then having to take them somewhere to be faxed to Google.

It really turned out to be more time efficient and productive for me to rewrite the Hub in ten minutes and be done with it.  And yes, my clicks (both AdSense and Kontera) went way up for that day with that traffic boost.

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No you're not stuck with a penalized hub score - just ask Maddie to manually over-ride the dup content flag and cretify it original. I've done that - never botherer with the  DMCA crap- totally agree with you there!

11. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I'm using a free program called DupeFreePro which has found many sites where my work has been used.

http://dupefreeepro.com

They could be charging quite a bit for this program, but they're probably building their mailing list at the moment.
    They provide excellent info to their list members.

Apart from finding duplicates of your work, it does lots of amazing things.These guys know their stuff.
    Check out their site.
    Their "sales letter" is huge, but if you don't want to spend an hour reading all about the pros and cons of duplicate content, just go to the bottom and get the program.

I must confess though, that I still can't work out why they've gone to this much trouble, and are giving this away. It's pretty well the best free program I've ever seen.

Cheers,
    Eric G.

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eric, I tried to click but the page is unavailable so I will try again in the morning , thanks for the great information.smile

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Unbelievable the site is not redirecting the non-www version - this works http://www.dupefreepro.com/

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
          Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Lissie. It's not the lack of www that's making it fail -
          I make a typo in the link - I put dupefreeepro.com and not www.dupefreepro.com

Shame on you normally sharp eyed grammar nazis for not picking that up :-)

12. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

dupefreepro is great and I to have no idea why its free!
    I use copyscape for my own stuff -  I pay for the premium version which allows you to check text not just urls, and also urls which have already had 5(?) searchs that month like hubpages!

Its really interesting playng around and seeing what triggers duplicate content and what does not.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I don't bother with DMCA either - not worth the time really smile

14. Fixxxer profile image59
    Fixxxerposted 15 years ago

I have the same problem - although not with my hubs (of which there's only two at the moment) but with articles I write and submit to article websites. People use my articles, but the tossers delete out the links to my site - which is against the policy of the website where they get it. Instead - they just link to the site.

This defeats the whole object of writing the article in the first place, as the link is now to the article site, and not my blog or my website.

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is horrible, that is why a majority of mine have copyrights on them , I know it can be a little costly but in the end somebody is going to get their hands slapped. smile

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There's a 100% effective answer to this.

Never publish anything on the internet.

If you do, someone is going to rip it off in some way. It's a fact of life. Deal with it to the extent that you feel you must.

A good way to find it is with dupefreepro. Another way is to set up some Google alerts for passages of unique text, and Google will send you a message if the text is found on any websites, blogs, etc.

See http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Alerts for more info.
      cheers,
      Eric G.

15. Fixxxer profile image59

Copyright?

Teach me, please. I am a willing and apt pupil...

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just use a copyright statement on all my hubs - just take a look if you want to see what I do

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The last I heard-- copyright is assumed to be automatic upon publication. Posting a notice is optional-- but perhaps a good idea.

Internet proliferation has given the people the MISTAKEN idea that  anything published is in the public domain.

16. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

I just had a hub get the same thing.  My "Oh Goody It's Fricking Christmas" hub is on Flixya now, word for word copied, he even copied the Ebay stuff for crying out loud.

17. Fixxxer profile image59

Google Alerts? Bru - I probably lag their servers with all my alerts. That's how I know about all the articles of mine that get nicked.

And I get what you say about not publishing anything at all, Eric. But like I said - the whole idea of writing the articles in the first place is to get backlinks from other sites.  There's got to be a better way though.

I got the link to dupefree from one of the posts, but - seeing as how Internet, and especially bandwidth, is 2000% more expensive in South Africa than in the USA, I doubt if I will be able to download it.

1. Fixxxer profile image59
      Fixxxerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes - this is me quoting myself... lol

I actually went and downloaded it - was only 500kb.

18. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

I'd just start throwing random words in the text of your hubs, like "Ice Cream", hopefully it'd get their visitors confused and not bother with their leeching site!

Have they kept anything like links in your hubs? It could be a blessing in disguise if they are big_smile

19. jim10 profile image65
    jim10posted 15 years ago

I'm glad it had a happy ending. It is nice that people went to the original.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)