Special Layout Options are Now Live!

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (161 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Happy Friday, Hubbers!

I am happy to announce that the new Special Layout Options for recipes and reviews that we introduced on our blog earlier this week are now live. Head over to the HubTool and have a look!

In addition to making new Hubs using these Special Layout Options, you can update your already-published recipes and reviews by transferring relevant details into the new capsules. Just keep in mind that recipe Hubs will not get special microformat-enabled treatment in search engine results if they do not, at the very least, include the Ratings Capsule set to Recipe Ratings.

For quick links to our new Learning Center entries sharing tips on making the most of these new Capsules, stop by our blog.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've only had a brief look so far, Simone, but the new options look great. I'll use them for all food Hubs from now on and will gradually amend my existing Hubs whenever I have some spare time. Thanks to all at HP for this great new facility and fingers crossed for increased traffic! smile

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Gordon Hamilton! Since you have so many recipe Hubs, it might seem kind of overwhelming, but keep in mind that by adding at least the Ratings Capsule, you'll get the basic benefit of having the thumbnail appear in search engine results. The Cook Time capsule is another simpler addition that has a high visual impact but takes less time to add smile

1. nifwlseirff profile image93
          nifwlseirffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quick question - which image is chosen as the thumbnail? The first/last?

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
            Fawntiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first image, provided it is not too small.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is a nice feature, however I started on my first recipe hub and I am using this new layout.  There is a problem with the ingredient capsule. It appears that you only have the one and can not add a second.  I have two lists of ingredients..one for the sauce and one for the filling, so to create this hub looking professional, I would need a duplicate ingredient capsule. When I click on Ingredients under Special Layout Options on the right column, I get the pop up message, "Only one Ingredients capsule is allowed per hub.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I definitely see your point Dale. A second capsule would be needed in this situation. I hope this can be fixed.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, they may not have thought about that and it may have been limited as people would misuse it. But, I see your point and I'm sure this would need to be modified smile

3. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my case I also need two instructions and potentially two nutritional infos!
        The recipe I just updated is for a Guinness chocolate cake - I have two sets of instruction and ingredients; one for the cake, one for the frosting - I cannot separate into two hubs.

An idea would be the ability to insert a sub-heading and optionally re-set the count in each module - so you'd still only have one module, but would be able to have multiple lists!

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Didn't bother reading the other posts on this thread outside the op, so I apologize if this has been addressed already.  However, is there any chance the hubpage staff can modify the rating capsule to where we can do half stars on it?  You know like "2 1/2", "1/2", "3 1/2", "1 1/2" and "4 1/2"; in addition to allowing you to select whole numbers.  I only ask because since i review films, what if one of them deserves a "2 1/2" star rating?  Am I supposed to automatically give it a half star credit it doesn't deserve because I can't do half stars?  Or give it a half star less than it deserves because I can't do half stars?  Don't get me wrong, it's a nifty idea by hubpages, but I doubt I'll ever be using it until it allows users to use half stars.  However, thanks anyway.  smile

4. puter_dr profile image92
      puter_drposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many of my recipe hubs have multiple recipes. I guess with this new format, I should break them up into multiple hubs as in one recipe per hub?

5. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Simone, just wanted to ask if there were still some teething problems with the recipe capsules?. I wrote a hub specifically to try the new capsules out but even though I used all the capsules in my recipe, an automated message said I hadn't? I did pick and choose as I went along so it may be my fault, but eventually I did use all the capsule options, but the message has remained.

thanks,

6. profile image0
      rexriderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I request to you to add some extra interesting stuffs like changing designs of own profile, like social networks like Orkut

7. cascoly profile image60
      cascolyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

did anyone at HP actually TEST this? because my results and those repported by others in the 'report a new problem' forum indicate that the new recipe capsules do NOTHING for google search or placement - there has been NO increase in hub traffic, and the google search results do not extract the ratings or images, even though the rich snippet test page does extract the ratings [but not the image]

2. profile image0
    DMartelonlineposted 12 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I only have a couple of recipe hubs but I did go ahead and update them with the new capsules wink

3. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

I am looking forward to using this new format for recipes. I am planning to post several new hubs with recipes.

4. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

I don't have many recipes, but I will definitely try the new format.  Not sure how just yet, but I guess I'll find out, huh?

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Just one ratings capsule per hub sad

I've got a hub on the top 6 Kitchen hoods so I'd need to add 6 Rating Capsules sad

The hub is getting me good traffic now and I've written a detailed review of each of the six - pros as well as cons and hence would need to add 6 reviews too. Why isn't that possible?

There's more than 200 words for each hood and adding a rating would be great. As Dale says the ingredients too could be increased or at least allow certain hubbers to add multiple things?

Waiting for a reply as I've only added one rating for now. Hope to see a positive answer. This is great - why not make it better?

1. Dale Hyde profile image80

I could also see the need for more rating capsules. In my instance I would think along the lines of say a Mexican dinner, and include three to four recipes within the hub.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Yup something like that. The rating capsules are also for reviews and unlike most people that just focus on one thing I give a list as what you need depends on various factors and it won't be the same as what I need.

6. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years ago

In the Nutrition capsule it will let you add 6 MG Protein but not 6.5 Mg protein. Until that's fixed I'll leave the nutrition capsule off. When I try to add 6.5 in the little box it says only a numeric value can be added. Hope it gets fixed soon. Also I sometimes add multiple recipes to a Hub and need to be able to add multiple ingredient capsules.

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

I'm also curious why we can have only one Ratings capsule?  I have a Hub comparing two products, and it would be nice to let readers choose which one they like best.

In the end, I did that by including a Poll capsule instead, but that won't give me the review mark-up?

8. mary615 profile image82

As an experiment and to become familliar with this new feature, I just worked on one.  I did include the ratings feature, but I got a warning that the Hub would NOT show up in a search because I did not include the ratings capsule.  I did include that.  Help.    Also, do we rate our own reciple?  I wouldn't think so, but that's the only thing I didn't do.

Yes, we were asked to rate! I rated a 4 and then deleted it smile - But, I was rating a product so that was fine as it's not mine. But, rating your own recipe? - that's wrong big_smile

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think so, but I want my recipes to show up in search, and it warns that it won't cause I didn't add the ratings capsule and I did.   Any ideas?  It takes this old brain a while to soak up all the new stuff.  I always like it once I learn a new feature, and I think this one is a great feature.

I guess we should wait for the staff to reply smile

Mostly on Monday but, we'll need to wait as there are a bit of changes that need to be done such as the self rating as well as a max of 1 rating per hub and stuff like that big_smile

I'll be waiting for someone from HP to let us know what to do.

I'm sure you are right.  I just had some time now to get it done.  Oh, well...I'll live.

Haha smile Same here! I'm editing and modifying my hubs now though smile I just realized that my second best hub is written horribly

2. Dale Hyde profile image80

You need to use the third option for the rating capsule when you open it... it is labeled "recipe".  I had the same problem and got the same notification, but when I used that option, it worked and no further problems.

Thanks, Dale.  I'll try that.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mary, did you select "Single person rating", "Multiple Person Rating" or "Recipe Rating"?

If you chose the Single Person option, you have to vote, or it won't publish.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point. But what is single person rating, multiple person rating, and what about recipe rating as opposed to review rating? HP is not clear on this.

They put out some good new features with too little "help".

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I agree they haven't explained it, but I managed to work it out by playing around.

Single Person rating is when you are reviewing the product and want to give a rating for it.  If you choose Single Person, you must select a value.  No one else can vote.

Multiple Person rating is when you don't want to rate the product yourself, you want your readers to rate it.  In that case, you don't vote while you're editing (although you can vote once you're done editing, if you wish).

Oops, I just realized your problem is with the recipe rating, which I haven't tried yet.Sorry.

Hmm good point smile

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Heya!

Thanks for pointing out that this wasn't clear. We've re-done the wording. Is this better?

The Ratings Capsule has three possible formats:
            Single Person Rating: In which you personally rate a product, place, or service.
            Multiple Person Rating: In which you invite readers to rate a product, place, or service discussed in your Hub.
            Recipe rating: In which you apply special recipe tags to your Hub and invite readers to rate your recipe.

Yes thanks.  However I'm curious - is the recipe ratings capsule  the only one that contains the recipe microformat? 

Does that mean that if you don't use the ratings capsule, you won't get the microformat markup, even if you use the other recipe capsules?

If so that's curious, because as others have said, ratings seem less relevant to recipes and it sounds like many Hubbers would prefer not to use them, whereas everyone's going to need the other recipe capsules to create a recipe Hub.

That's exactly what it means.

Star ratings appear to be one of the most prominent features that drives folks to click on recipes, and we had to tie some back end microformat things to one capsule (which also included input of the recipe's name), so the Ratings Capsule made the most sense.

So in other words, there's no need to use any of the other Recipe capsules if you don't want to.  As long as you use the Ratings Capsule, you've got the microformat markup, and that's what matters.

I think that's a really important message to get out there.  For people with a lot of recipes, rejigging all their existing Hubs with the new capsules is a lot of work - but adding one ratings capsule each could be done quite easily.

1. stephhicks68 profile image86
                    stephhicks68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Marissa.  I have been putting the ratings and cook time into most of my recipe hubs today.  In the future, as I create new recipe hubs, I will probably use more of the new capsules, but it is a fair amount of work to go back and re-format 30+ existing hubs.

2. Jason Menayan profile image61
                    Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's the minimum to have the star rating show up in search results (and, if you have a picture, for the first picture to be used).

If you want any of the other information to be available to Google: cook time, calories, ingredients (for ingredient-based filtering that Google offers on food-related searches), then you would have to add those Capsules as well.

Since Google's rich snippets and search experience is ever-evolving, it helps to flesh out Hubs as much as possible and not do just the minimum. They've been known to move the goalposts.

9. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 12 years ago

I'm not a fan of the popup that comes up every time you click one of these capsules.

I was playing with them in one of my recipe hubs, but decided not to use them.

Hmm Popup? I'm not sure what you mean because even though I don't have a recipe hub I did check them all out but never got any sort of pop up. Could you explain what exactly the pop up was?

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Oh I just realized the popup big_smile I never realized it as I was actually reading it the first time smile

Ya it's fine for the first time but then it's a pain with that popup - But I can live with that for now. There are other improvements that could be set up smile

Nevertheless this whole thing is a great improvement we shouldn't forget that its something new that's added to help us.

10. puter_dr profile image92
    puter_drposted 12 years ago

Thanks, I will be trying them out before my pregame nap. Go Jayhawks!

11. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Hmm I used the instructions capsule on my review hub in order to explain the steps to finding the best... But, i'm getting a warning on the hub when I view it saying:

Please review the automatically generated warning below, and correct the problem if possible. These warnings are only visible to you, the author. Please click on the warning to learn more.

I guess that's not a cause for moderation right? I hope not lol!

What's the specific thing they are warning you about?

That hub of mine is doing well and I didn't want the risk of it being unpublished for any silly reason so I just used normal text capsules now.. The warning was telling me that I don't have a ratings feature on my recipe hub and so it won't be  detected as one.

I guess its not something to worry, but the way the warning is displayed is like you've broken a million rules smile So I thought it would be better to be safe and stay away from using a instructions thing wink

12. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

I'm annoyed with the warning that I'm getting while writing a new recipe hub using the new capsules:

"WARNING: This Hub is at risk of being identified as Overly Promotional or Substandard."

I haven't put any more outbound links into this recipe hub than I did for any other hub. In addition, all of the links I included on this one go to reputable sites, and no sites are repeated.

I'm wondering if I should take those links out of a text capsule and put them into a link capsule, but frankly, that's more work than I want to do and it would also make less sense to a reader.

I'm wondering if the words in these new capsules (Ingredients, Instructions) are not being counted, as in not being recognized as a measure of how many outbound links are acceptable.

I've spent a few hours today writing a new recipe hub just to try out this new feature, and I'm disappointed.

Mine was rated that way as well.  I had the Amazon Capsule and the Ebay Capsule. I deleted the Ebay Capsule and the warning went away.  So I just have the Amazon Capsule displaying three related items.

That's interesting. There's more work for the HP team to do. So, we're being penalized for using the technology (read that as outbound linking and affiliate accounts) they offer.

1. trish1048 profile image68
          trish1048posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This disturbs me:
          'I am happy to announce that the new Special Layout Options for recipes' and Just keep in mind that recipe Hubs will not get special microformat-enabled treatment in search engine results if they do not, at the very least, include the Ratings Capsule set to Recipe Ratings.

Please note the word Options, yet if we don't use it then our recipe hubs won't get recognition in search results.

Am I missing something here, or is this totally wrong?

Trish, I think you bring up a concern that all of us who are writing recipes on HP have. As in, how will our existing recipes fail to get search engine traffic if we don't modify them with the new capsules.

Overall, this HP change is a good thing, because it gives a recipe hub an advantage in search engine results. However, HP has some tweaking to do before its new features work correctly.

2. mary615 profile image82

Trish,  that's how I understand it, too.  I'm not going to do anymore till I  find out what I'm doing wrong.

Mary, I've got a recipe hub in the works...it's just sitting there, unpublished, until I get some clarification. I don't think you and I are doing anything wrong, I just think that HP's new features are not working quite right.

3. SimeyC profile image88

I don't think Hubpages have the ability to make one of your Hubpages rank lower or higher simply because you add or remove certain elements! What they probably know is that recipe with these elements tend to rank higher.

So if your recipe hub is ranking highly it will continue to rank highly even if you don't add these new optional elements.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
              DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

SimeyC,
              I think Trish1048's concern is that the ratings for recipes capsule is introduced as an option, then, if it is not used, a warning that the hub will be penalized for not using said capsule (by means of not qualifying for the special micro-macro-formatting-whatevers) to make it rank well.
              That then makes it virtually mandatory, and no longer an option.

13. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years ago

Right now I can't use the recipe capsules except the Cook Time and Rating. The others -

When I use the Ingredients and Instructions capsules, no matter how much I write before and after the recipe, I get the error messages about 1) Substandard and 2) Overly Promotional with my Amazon capsule, even when I have only 2 products (related) and over 700 words written and only outgoing 2 links to Hubs. When I write anything AFTER the recipe, the word count of the entire article goes down to "11" and I get "Substandard" message.

So I went back to using text capsules for the Ingredients and Instructions. I did not even try the Nutrition capsule yet. I'll wait for glitches to go away.

Thanks.

I just published my second recipe using this new layout. I only used the three Amazon items in the Amazon capsule and one link to one of my other hubs. No warning this time. My word count is 184 in the text capsule.  One thing I did notice is that this hub has one less Google ad on it, the one that usually appears under or near the photo.

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

When I use Instructions and Ingredient capsules, which have no word count, they reduce my previously saved text capsules' total word count, when I save and look under the tab STATS (I get very low word count and "substandard" warning); even with no links and only 1 amazon item, error comes up as overly promotional when I have 700 words if I have the Instructions and Ingredients capsules in the Hub. It's a glitch or my browser - the Ingredients and Instructions capsules interfere with all the rest of the Hub.

its not your browser as I noticed this when I tried using the instructions capsule. I reverted back to text as anyway its just a numbered list.

I just deleted the Ingredients and Instructions capsules, used text capsules instead, and the substandard / overly promotional warning went away.

Yup smile same here

15. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

Ah, a glitch then.

Yup and since that was just a minor portion of my hub I didn't get any warning about being too promotional even though I've got some amazon capsules.

2. Sally's Trove profile image78

It would seem so.

3. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

Yep, it will be fixed soon. Sorry about that!

Ok cool thanks for letting us know smile

Also, we get an error when we use capsules other than the rating capsule telling us that it won't be hmm what you say - given a push in search engines? I guess that should be put as a note below the capsules rather than us seeing a warning every time we check out that particular hub.

2. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

We think that this is fixed now. Can someone confirm? Thanks.

1. Lord De Cross profile image68
          Lord De Crossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is fixed thank you!

16. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Excellent.  I have upgraded one of my recipe pages with the new twiddly bits and am looking forward to seeing an increase in people looking for information on tinned tomato soup.

Gee, Mark I did a search just today for tinned tomato soup.  Too bad yours didn't come up cause I'd sure like to read it!  Have a great day, you goofy man, you!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Looks like my keywords have let me down again. Not that anyone ever would do.. but "tomato soup funny" has me there or thereabouts.  Of course once this ratings thing kicks in then I'll be cream of the, er, soup I guess.

17. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Another option I'd like to see is the ability to 'use' the ratings in other hubs.

I have quite a few Guinness recipes and have a separate hub listing them. Therefore when I link to them I'd like to see the same format as Google has, thus I'd get a nice picture and a rating.

The Ratings Capsule can totally be used for reviews of other products, places, and services. It has two settings for those- one in which only you rate the thing, and one in which you invite readers to do so big_smile

1. SimeyC profile image88

What I meant - when I add a Link capsule in my other hubs, I'd want to show the 'microformat' where possible - so the rating on one hub is shown on another....make sense?

Ooooh- I see. That's definitely something we could roll out down the line! I've made a note of it.

2. Peggy W profile image95
        Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  We can also rate places?  This could be good for restaurants.  How about travel locations?  Would that be applicable?

18. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

The other thing that would help me is the addition of 'presentation time' - again in my Guinness Cake recipe there's 15 minutes pre time, 45 minutes cook time and then an additional 15 minutes putting the cake together, frosting it etc.! I've added this to prep time for now but feel  it should be a different line!

Understood- though the reason why those time 'types' are so limited is because those are the types that are included within the recipe microformat tag group. They didn't have a tag for presentation time, heheh. Guess that all counts as prep!

19. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Well, I fumbled around and added the Recipe Rating Capsule to my 2 recipe hubs. That's all I intend to do for awhile. I shall now sit back and watch those one-star ratings roll in. big_smile

I don't think anyone is so mean to do that smile

20. mary615 profile image82

Here's a really dumb question, I guess.  How would you rate a recipe until you've had the chance to try it out?  You could rate the Hub itself, but not the recipe itself, could you?

Haha smile People do return you know wink I'm checking my Analytics as I type and I just got a return visitor from the US to my review hub - Hope they're buying something big_smile big_smile

2. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had the same thought Mary.  I'd think only a small percentage of those who look at the hub go on to prepare the recipe in the short term.  Of those, I'd think only a very small portion would return to give a rating.

3. lobobrandon profile image88

I guess this may happen as people won't be able to try out your recipe:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2039310

21. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I LOVE the new options! The only problem I had was in regards to word count. When I put ingredients in and whatnot, it didn't add to the word count and thus I didn't use those capsules. I don't know if that's a bug or if it's working as intended.

Overall, I really like the changes. This will really help out my recipes in Google search!
    http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq9ohzTYwR1r1shmqo1_500.gif

This gif made my day.

22. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I don't see why we are being forced into yet more stupid social networking one-upmanship. I have absolutely no desire to get involved in rating competitions.

We already have a superfluity of googleplus buttons etc, voting up and down buttons, competitions for those who like that sort of thing. Why complicate matters even more?

As for nutrient/calorie lists, I like to give lots of alternatives for ingredients, as well as encouraging people to add more or less of things according to taste...

I have no desire to contribute to the regimented and joyless school of cooking, where everything is laid down to the last gram and counted to the last calorie, carb and fat unit.

I do not see why I should be forced to produce recipes according to somebody else's template. Personally, I do not intend to use it.

WriteAngled you're not forced to do anything. You're free to do as you wish. The only reason these things were added was to make it easier to format a recipe hub. Also, the rating thing is supposed to be coded such that it shows on google search and that helps increase the CTR of people searching for your recipe.

As Mary rightly said people won't be able to rate your recipe until they try it out - right? So, according to me, if at all they rate it they'll do it based on the ease of understanding, the way you formatted it and how well you wrote it. I'm not sure; but, this is what I thought about after Mary made me think about it big_smile

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but the point is, I do not give a flying f___ about having my recipe rated. If sheeple-style "cooks" don't like it because it does not include a video showing them how to open the can of tomatoes and does not specify one shake of the salt-pot or two, I really do not care.

I never follow a recipe exactly, because I tend to substitute ingredients according to my preferences and possibilities. I also never assume the number of portions it states will have any relevance to my needs, since I am less or more hungry at any given time depending on what I've been doing and what else I've eaten that day. When I make up my own dishes totally out of my head, the best ones have always evolved by adding things, tasting and adjusting. Thus there are no fixed quantities, not even fixed ingredients, but rather a general concept to be developed into something slightly different each time.

That is what makes cooking interesting. For me, a cookbook is something to read, with a glass of wine, one evening, and then let ideas slosh around in my head over a day or so, to come up with something based on what I've read. That is why personally I prefer the discursive style cookbook, such as those written by Elizabeth David, which in the editions I have do not even bother with any pictures, because the words convey everything necessary.

As I said you're not compelled to use them. Others can use them if they find it necessary. I for one don't have any recipe hubs and I don't intend on writing any. But, I could use them on my product review hubs.

2. melbel profile image94
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a great way to learn to cook and I LOVE doing this. You do not truly know how to cook unless you know how to put something together without a recipe -- know how ingredients work together and WHY you use certain ingredients, etc.

I took a number of fun classes in culinary arts school, but learned the MOST in the science classes (chem, meat science, etc.)

23. nifwlseirff profile image93
    nifwlseirffposted 12 years ago

I typically write multiple recipes in one hub, and within each recipe, I often break down ingredients into multiple lists (one for a sauce, one for the dish, or a separate herb/spice list).

While I love the exposure the new capsules give with search engines, being limited to one rating, one ingredients capsule and one set of instructions makes them impossible for me to use.

The Yield text box (Cook time capsule) is too short to describe multiple serving options. Plus I'd like not to have to change Cook time to be grammatically correct each time I use it.

It looks like the word count *only* counts the words in the Instructions capsule. My Kale hub (around 1000 words), currently has 167. I'll be moving the recipe instructions back out into text capsules shortly.

It would be great if these features were thoroughly beta tested...

Hey nifwlseirff! Thanks for this feedback.

Most of those details are present for a reason, and I agree that the conditions are not always ideal, but that's how microformats were intended to work.

We only support one recipe per Hub, have limited yield options,  because that's how microformats are designed. I encourage you to just use those capsules for a cursory summary at the top, then get into specific details and instructions in normal capsules below.

Could you be more specific about the grammar issue with the Cook Time Capsule? If there is a mistake I'm too sleep-addled to spot, I'd like to fix it!

I'd love to use these micro-formats! But unfortunately I would need to use multiple instances in my existing hubs to ensure the hub isn't inconsistent. I certainly will use them if and when I write single recipe hubs.

Could you perhaps provide an example of how the instructions capsule could/should be used (in a recipe hub)? It sounds interesting, writing short instructions first, and then repeating the instructions in detail below.

Cook time - I should have said I change it to be grammatically comfortable (incorrect is too strong, English is quite flexible).

Cooking time - cooking is a present-participle, functioning as an adjective modifying the noun 'time' - a common construction, and one which is logical and unambiguous in this case.

'Cook' changes in meaning between the verb and noun forms.
        Infinitives are usually paired with the word 'to', forming the full infinitive -- I want to cook dinner.
        The bare infinitive form (cook - action) and noun (cook - person) are indistinguishable.  Plus a bare infinitive + noun is usually imperative (an order) -- cook dinner.
        While 'cook time' is not strictly incorrect, it is ambiguous.

Although 'cook time' is popular (it's shorter), 'cooking time' is more prevalent on the web (according to Google Fight). Strangely, all of my printed cookbooks used neither term.

Hope that made sense! smile

Ahaaa, that makes perfect sense. Thank you, nifwlseirff. And I'll keep an eye out for a good example of that, but the gist is you can have a summary section at the top with the Recipe Capsules, then have text capsules with photo capsules floated to the right lower in the Hub with detailed instructions.

So it might be that at the top, you've got an Instructions Capsule that says:

1. Combine dry ingredients
          2. Proof your yeast
          3. Combine yeast, water, and dry ingredients
          4. Let rest for 30 minutes
          5. Knead
          6. Let rest
          7. Braid loaf
          8. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees

And then below, in Text Capsules, you have paragraph form instructions on sifting dry ingredients, successfully proofing yeast with honey and a microwave, properly kneading dough, ideal rising conditions, bread braiding how-tos, etc...

I think I understand - using the instruction summary like: http://nifwlseirff.hubpages.com/hub/pineapple-fruitcake

24. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

Good idea, but..... (here it comes....)  lol

As with many, I have recipes that require more than one ingredient/instruction capsule.  I understand the microformat issue, but there must be a way around this.

For example, in my unpublished cake recipe, the crust is one recipe, the filling another.  Obviously both recipes must be on the same page, or you wouldn't be able to bake the cake.  This causes a bit of a issue.

How is everyone else getting around this other than reverting to the old text capsules?  It would not be fair playing ground for some to have the new microformatting advantage and others not.   (not trying to sound like a whiny kid)

As I understand it, the important thing is to have the recipe microformat in your Hub somewhere.  So you can use any other capsules you like, it won't dilute the effect.

That is how I took it also Marisa. What I would like to know is what was meant by using the instruction capsule at the top as a "cursory summary."
        There is the mention of the "tags." Are these tags something added by the new recipe capsule, different than the normal tags?

I wondered about that too.  I can't see any difference between the recipe rating and ordinary rating capsules, except you don't have the choice of single and multiple.

If the instructions capsule does not count in your word count, then I see no legitimate use for it.  I added the rating to one recipe hub right after the complete recipe, so that should get the embedded microformat.
            If the instruction capsule adds more to the hub, then I would like to know a way to actually properly use it, without losing word count.
            Plus...with instructions I add pictures to each step, which you cannot do with the special capsule. So will not use it for the recipe instructions.

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

The instructions capsule should count toward your word count. There was a bug related to that that should be fixed now.

2. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see.  I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to visual, so the issue I have with my recipes is that the formatting looks great in the first ingredients capsule, but if I use a text capsule for the second, they don't look the same.  Ditto for the instructions.  Or am I just being a bit daft?!?  hmm

2. Peggy W profile image95

Hi Beth,

As to only one rating capsule, I had two cookie recipes in one hub.  I just used the rating for one of the cookies and not the other.  I figure that it it brings attention to the hub, people will by default read both recipes.

If the ingredients capsule and text capsule have things looking different, then I guess I would simply stick with the text capsule and only use the new ingredients capsule for a single recipe without different parts to it.

Glad to know of these things before I try out all of the options together.  So far I have only added the ratings capsule to existing recipes.

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Peggy,

Yes, it is good to know these things before trying it out.  smile  My recipe is in two steps:  one for the crust and one for the filling.  I think that I will just go back and use the text capsule with the ratings capsule.  At least that way it will contain the microformatting.

Thanks Peggy.  smile  Hope all is well with you.

25. profile image0
    rexriderposted 12 years ago

can any one please tell me what is going on here?? wink

Go back to the beginning of this thread and read each post. You'll find the answer to your question. smile

1. profile image0
        rexriderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

o gosh you mean read all the threads haha you are bluffing:D

But you expect people to answer your questions huh? Why would anyone do that?

26. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I thought folks might like to see how google displays it (not guaranteed google will).

The star rating and other meta data can be displayed in the serps.  Testing shows that while it doesn't increase the rankings, the micro format does increase the click through rate from the search results.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6420860_f248.jpg

1. Peggy W profile image95

Looks good.  Thanks for sharing this information with us Paul.  I think that people might be more inclined to click on a recipe hub if it has a good rating.

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image93

It definitely looks better, Paul, and thinking as a Google searcher, I would definitely be more likely to click on this option than the way it appeared before. I have only published one new Hub with these tools but have amended several older Hubs. I notice that the new Hub appears this way already on Google but a few days on, the amended ones are unchanged. Will natural Google updating through time cause amended Hubs to appear this way?

27. Sally's Trove profile image78

You have an opportunity to influence a reader's response by how you use the title area in the rating capsule. You can suggest that the reader rate the recipe as written, or rate the outcome of executing the recipe. For example, "Please rate this recipe" will elicit one response, while "How does this taste?" will elicit another (the article vs the product).

While I see this rating capsule and the other new recipe capsules as advantageous for gaining a visual on Google in SERPs, they also limit the creativity and depth of how you need to write a recipe Hub.

Shall we all be writing short, stacatto recipes as we see at foodnetwork dot com? If so, then HP rules for substandard hubs will kick us all in the butt.

There's something missing here.

28. Sally's Trove profile image78

The thing that might be missing is an HP category for recipes, as there is for poetry...where word count is not an issue.

Fawntia has said the Instructions capsule does count in the word count - it was a bug.

You miss the point. The HP instructions, ingredients, and rating capsules beg for a short recipe description, as seen on the food network and other recipe sites. As many here have already pointed out, this new design does not accommodate a complex recipe that calls for multiple stages of ingredients and preparations. So, to use the new recipe capsules available here to their best advantage, a recipe may have to be pretty darn short.

I thought that had been answered - it's important to use those capsules to get the microformat markup, but the idea is to use them to create a short overview, then proceed to a detailed explanation of the recipe using ordinary capsules.

I don't write recipes so I don't know if that solves the problem?

Since you don't write recipes, then I understand your comments. If you did write recipes, you would see the short falls of this new HP scheme.

29. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

As for the ratings capsule, has anyone tried rating their own recipe after they've published?

It works on the other ratings capsule.  That way, you can show an immediate good rating for your recipe and don't have to wait for reader feedback.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93

I know what you mean, Marisa but in a word - no. I am probably just over-cautious but I tend to look at that sort of thing as clicking on your own Google ads. I know - I'm probably paranoid - but no wonder in these Internet times... smile

30. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I recently published a Hub on growing cilantro.  I wanted to throw in this super easy salsa recipe that I was introduced to about 20 years ago.  So by adding this recipe, I was informed that my Hub would not be considered a recipe Hub.  Which did make sense with this new format because my main subject was growing cilantro.  I will write and publish a recipe Hub later.  In the meantime, I've gone back to perfecting the recipe and serving up with tortilla chips this evening.  As far as changes made to the recipe format, I am determined to just go with it.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I imagine you could link the two hubs (growing/recipe)  together with reciprocal links, Arlene....that might help the traffic to each.  Just a thought.

31. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I don't normally write recipe hubs.  In fact, I've only done one, I think, and that included a video to illustrate the parts that people might possibly misunderstand from text-only instructions, and that was for my Easy Holiday Gumdrops.  ...

After reading all of this, and especially with the apparent inability to have multiple ingredients capsules for multi-step recipes...  I'm not sure I will add any further in the recipe line.  I'm thinking I'll go for an E-book cookbook instead for my recipe collection.

32. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

@Sally's Trove, the recipe capsules will support recipes as complex as you want to make them.  For example, if you have a multi-type recipe like a cake with frosting, use the ingredients capsule and label if the ingredient is for the cake or frosting.  Then in the instructions, you can specify the directions for making the frosting and further in the list, the instructions for making a cake.

@Gordon Hamilton I've looked at several of your recipe Hubs.  They look amazing.  I really love the way you use photos with great directions.  I'm excited to see how these capsules work for you.  When you update Hubs, it takes a few days for them to get re-cached (typically about 4 days).  Give it a little time and I suspect they will start showing the new format in the search results.

That doesn't sound ideal as it means the ingredients could wind up a long way from the related method?

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image93

Thanks very much, Paul. I'll keep an eye on the Hubs I've updated so far on Google and see how they go and update more of them as and when I can.

I just took a look at one of your recipes, and I hope I can do as well when I try this.  Yours is great!

33. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Thanks, Ms. Lizzy.  I will remember to do that once I get the salsa recipe together.  I do remember your gumdrop recipe.  Who knows?  I may waltz away from writing recipes, too.  But only if I find the new process too confining.  We shall see.

34. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Cool Beans!

35. CASE1WORKER profile image63
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I have just transferred one recipe to the new style and wow does it look good, however I have not tried any complex recipes so I can understand reservations on that . Also I am wary of putting in nutritional inofrmation from recipes that we have used in the family for years- I am not a nutritionist and I am sure I would rather not put them in than get them wrong.
    Still well done to Hubpages- it really is quite a good change and to my understanding it is optional, which is of course, even better!

Cool smile Glad that it looks good. Too bad I'm not going to be writing any recipes for now though smile I do have some quick snacks that I make here for myself at University maybe one day I'll write abt them

2. Simone Smith profile image87

That's fantastic, CASE1WORKER!

About more complicated recipes: I recommend adding the special capsules to the top as a sort of summary, then keeping your detailed info at the bottom.

About nutritional info: I recommend leaving it out if you don't know it and it's not easy for you to calculate. It's hardly mandatory big_smile

The biggest impact Recipe Capsules are the Ratings Capsule, the Cook Time Capsule, and the Ingredients Capsule.

1. cascoly profile image60

problem is, recipe capsules get added to the bottom! and you then have to poke them up to the top

i think i may leave my recipes as thet are [about 40 hubs], and just add cook time and ingredients again at the bottom as these seem to be more for search engines than actual people

If you don't know how to move them check out the previous threads here and I've explained it already.

i know how to move them - one capsule at a time for each of them - other capsules can be placed exactly where we want them

36. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

Well, I've been out of town and just returning to try out the new recipe features.  I have a lot of recipe hubs!  This thread has been interesting and at least some of the bugs were worked out before I started revising hubs.  smile

I'll let you all know how the features work for me - or if I have issues or concerns, too.

37. stephhicks68 profile image86

I have a lot of hubs with more than one recipe - if I understand correctly, I can use the cook time or star capsules (any of them, really) for only 1 recipe at a time, correct?

Yup you can use it for one recipe on the hub only.

38. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

I am going to try the new recipe capsules again very soon. Sounds like they bring more traffic and are easier to use now.

Patty, go for it!  I am getting more traffic on my recipes now since I edited them and added these capsules.  It's great!

39. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Check out how one of Gordon's recipe Hubs would look using Google's Rich Snippets Tool:
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ … ngoustines

The likelihood of a searcher to click on this over a text-only search result is certainly understandable.

Wow!  That is awesome!!  Updating my recipe hubs as we speak.... smile

40. mary615 profile image82

Can someone smarter than me answer this one?

When you add the capsules they will appear at the bottom of the page.  Any way to get them to the top without moving each one individually?  I tried using the tool that allows you to add text, photos, map, etc.etc up top where I wanted them, but that doesn't work.  I'd just like these to appear at the very top.

Yes, you can smile Once it appears at the bottom, just go to the Hmm what do you call it (Going to check) - The recorder (on the place where tags, settings, summary etc. is found)

And once you see it there, just click and drag the capsule to where you want it or around the place you want it and then put it into the exact spot.

I knew I could count on someone like you, lobobrandon,  to help me with this.  Thanks.  Duh, I never thought of that.  I just move things around using the up and down arrows.  Thanks again!

Your welcome smile Glad to be of some help. Also, happy that your recipe hubs are doing well with the rating capsule. I wonder whether you did it to that bread hub of yours smile

Yes, lobobrandon. Thanks for remembering my bread Hub!  I had two red trianges on that one this AM.

Awesome wink

41. mary615 profile image82

I have had four recipes that just were stagnant!  After I edited them on the new format, I'm getting red trianges!  I'm working on an Easter bunny cake, and I can't wait to try this from beginning to end.  I really like it!

My revised recipe hubs are also getting increased traffic!  Very cool.  smile

42. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 12 years ago

The cooking time capsule needs to be modified to allow a time range and not just a singular time.

For example, it needs to able to indicate 30-45 minutes.

unfortunately, that's a google feature - their recipe rich snippet only recognizes 3 values - preptime, cooktime and total time.

allowing a range of values for each of these would make searching more complicated. 

prep is particularly troublesome - who is doing the prep? a warp speed slicer/dicer, a one slice at a time cook? 

another factor in prep time is that it's the only place to put things like marinating, yeast risingand other time elements that take awhile but require no effort from the cook.  i love to braise cheap cuts of meat - it may take   4 hours, but it's a light cooking day.

I agree!  Same thing with cooking time with my Slow Cooker recipes.  It will say 6 hours, but really, it only requires 5 or 10 minutes of prep.  Leave for the day and come home to dinner.

43. stephhicks68 profile image86

I am writing a recipe hub right now, and the new format is very easy to use.  The one thing to note is that you cannot insert links to other hubs or pages from the specialized capsules.

I noticed that, too.  I thought it was just me!

44. puter_dr profile image92

I have started unpublishing some of my hubs with multiple recipes and republishing them as single recipe hubs.
    Things were going well till a bit ago when I got a dupe content warning on the last one I posted.
    I had edited the original hub and republished it with only the first recipe, then started a new one, and published the second recipe. I worked on a couple other things, then whammy, I got a dupe content warning on the new hub.

Do I need to remove the multiple recipe hubs, and leave them down a few days, then republish them?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You must wait until the former hubs are de-indexed or either use the Google Webmasters tools to remove the URLs manually.  When you can't find your recipes in a google search they have been removed from Big G's index. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

2. cascoly profile image60

when you take out the text from the multi-recipe hub, delete before saving the old hub.  if they still show up as dupes just send a note to HP and they'll fix it - i did this when i found someone had  copied one of my amazon reviews even after i hd deleted the review from amazon

45. puter_dr profile image92

thanks Randy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)