Suicide why is it even a option?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (48 posts)
  1. zell12 profile image74
    zell12posted 12 years ago

Especially in young teens who are dealing with issues about their sexuality. <promotional statement snipped>

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure it IS "especially" in teens who deal with confusion about homosexuality.  There have been and still are just teens, period, who are tempted to commit suicide and who do commit suicide.  It's sad, period, and there needs to be help for all of them, not just the current platform which uses teens to further the liberal agenda.  THAT is the saddest part of all, the fact that impressionable teens are being used for political purposes.  God help our young generation and keep them safe from the immaturity of anyone in any generation.

2. Ramsa1 profile image61
      Ramsa1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion it should not be an option. To be blunt, suicide is for cowards. People should face their problems and deal with them, find solutions to them. I know full well that some problems can be extremely difficult to deal with, but if anyone thinks that he has a tough life in America, try living in Kabul for a week. Or Baghdad.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's more about their lack of love, if you notice a person like that, give them some love.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I disagree that suicide is for cowards. I wanted to commit suicide, but I didn't because I was afraid. It's not a good solution, it has been said that it is a permanent solution for a temporary problem. I'm glad I didn't do it, but it is not cowardly.

1. profile image0

I'm glad you didn't do it too.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1
          Good for you speaking up

3. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's just a poor way to look at things. You assume that everyone is the same as you, when you have no idea what life is like for others. The same trials can be processed differently by different people, simply due to physiological makeup.

Don't call people cowards when you have no idea what they are facing. You should be thankful that you were built to handle your trials better than those who weren't.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
          gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+a MULTILLION times.  Suicide is not an act of cowardice.  It is the most proactive and brave act.   There are people who want to live life on their terms and they have not succeeded.  In their mindset, suicide is better than not to live their own, individual life on their terms.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tell that to the 11 year old who was bullied and took his own life to avoid testifying in court

3. Kyricus profile image59
      Kyricusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Suicide is a bad option in 99% of the cases. However, in the case of painful terminal diseases where there is no quality of life, no chance of recovery, and your remaining time on earth is misery, then I see it as valid.

We don't let our pets live in misery. I've had many companion animals, and when they became too sick, when they hurt too much, when the doctor said they would soon pass, I didn't let them live in that misery.

I don't understand why we let the humans we love, live in that misery. So yes, I can understand suicide in some cases. Since no other option exists.

When babies are not loved, they can die, same for the old. To certain degrees it is not brave or honorable way to act, yet not in all cases it considered negative. Most cases it’s a lack of love, for Love is the most important behavior in the world and can conquer all

In the last 45 years suicide rates have increased by 60% worldwide. Suicide rate 2008) ... nearly a million people take their own lives every year, more than those murdered or killed in war

One solution
        If you do come across a love one or friend who is considering suicide. Be direct. Talk openly and be willing to listen. Allow expressions of feelings. Accept the feelings. Be non-judgmental, don't debate whether suicide is right or wrong, or their feelings are good or bad. Don't lecture on the value of life.

2. ar.colton profile image80
    ar.coltonposted 12 years ago

When life is too hard it seems like death is a better, gentler option. Hopefully people get through that and find friends and lovers who love them how they are. Some people don't. Such is life.

War , murder and terrorist combined dose not carry has many deaths as suicide worldwide, Yet what makes the News and is headlined talked about far greater.

Love thou self self first in order to love others better would be the answer, yet most do not get a good handle on the question first.

3. pharuk temmy t profile image39
    pharuk temmy tposted 12 years ago

Zell, sucide could be an option for a low think person, who believe the down fall is the end of the life.

1. ar.colton profile image80
      ar.coltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Low think huh? That's a little judgmental Pharuk. Ernest Hemingway committed suicide. I'd say he's far from "low think". The truth resists such simplicity.

Dentists,  surgeon professions and some famous entertainer have a high high of suicides. Sometime I wonder what the suicide rate is for psychiatrists compared to ones that get murdered

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

psychiatrists actually have the highest suicide rate among all professions.  ...  ...

That's why I was joking about how people may feel like murdering Psychiatrists, they do it, all so well themselves.

2. alisha4u profile image40
      alisha4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Height of cowardliness is Suicide. An optimist would never ever think about it, while a pessimist would think of nothing, but Suicide. I pity these kinda people.

In some cases, suicide makes good sense to commit, for example

The real alternative to euthanasia and assisted suicide (EAS) is to provide loving, ...methods of palliative care makes the legalisation of euthanasia unnecessary. ... "Once a patient feels welcome and not a burden to others, once his unbareable pain is over

1. Kyricus profile image59
          Kyricusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Palliative care isn't always the answer. Quality of life is important too. It isn't cowardice to not want to lay in a hospital bed (even in your own home, cared for by hospice) so doped up that you can't open your eyes or comprehend what is going on around you.

I've recently had this experience, and I can guarantee you, by conversations with this person prior, and from knowing them closely, that they would much rather have been dead, than lie for months, slowly dying, while unable to even roll over.

I really wish there was some form of EAS available, much like living wills can stipulate DNS orders. We don't let our pets suffer as much as we let each other.

Hm, thanks for your pity Alisha. I'm having a really hard time not being rude to you right now. I know that it's just ignorance, but it's not helpful. It might be prudent not to judge things you don't understand.

I have a condition called FMS. It took me about a year to get it diagnosed. That year was the worst of my life, constant agonizing pain. And the year afterwards is almost a complete blank from my memory because of the medication I was taking at the time. I'm really glad that I was properly diagnosed and that I can manage my symptoms today but if there had been no way to treat my FMS I doubt I'd be here. Living like that is not living at all.

1. alisha4u profile image40

Don't take it personally...ar.colton! If this forum has been introduced, i do have the right to say and write whatever I think...
              Give your Regards to Almighty for saving your life....atleast you were diagnosed at the right time.. Had it been late, you would not even have had the opportunity to think about Suicide... Will Power is what takes you beyond such a state... Just be positive and spread positivity !!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

A closed mind doesn't learn too much, at the very least I hope maturity will cause you to rethink some of your thoughts.

Cant get much more personal than life itself.

3. ar.colton profile image80

I didn't tell you not to say or write anything. I'm simply offering my experience, hoping that you might take the time to rethink your judgments, but as eaglekiwi said, a closed mind... I just hope that you never have to find out personally how little you know.

Pity doesnt help,assuming helping is what you had in mind wink

3. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pity people who live in delusion of ironic optimism. Since when optimism is about calling others cowards. lol

4. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow what a loaded comment......  do you think people with severe mental conditions are cowards i think not.....

4. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I guess this is because of the social structure. Earning low money gives less respect among friends and rest of the people around you. Not getting things on time ends up with guilt that eats some people throughout their life. Sometimes letting go is not that easy. Rape victims, child abuse and divorce and many other cases are so complicated it's hard to generalize and make judgement on suicide. Suiciders are far from being coward, it takes guts to put knife on your finger or to eat poison. By no means I am supporting such acts, but calling it act of cowardice doesn't make any of us brave or so-called intellectual by inch margin.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

I think most people who commit suicide, or seriously consider it are depressed. You don't have to be poor or sick to be depressed. Sometimes people who look like they have everything to an outsider can be depressed. It's a really dark place where everything seems useless and hopeless. It can be caused by chemistry in the brain, my doctor tells me that if you are sad for long enough, even with good reason, it can change the chemistry in your brain. If you are thinking about suicide, stop and think. Things might get better tomorrow, but you'll never know if you're not here. Wait till tomorrow.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Suicide is never a good option...unless you are terminal, there is no hope, and the pain is too much to bear.

2. profile image0

+1. Amen.

6. passthejelly profile image71
    passthejellyposted 12 years ago

I think that a person should not commit suicide for the most part, and most people who do are not thinking rationally when they do it. Suicide can be very selfish to the people that love you, and personally I could never do something like that to my family. On the other hand, if someone had no one who cared for them, which is highly unlikely, suicide would be justifiable.

7. zell12 profile image74

I agree with some and disagree with others. I don't feel like suicide makes a person a coward, sometimes the world can be cruel and deceiving in the way it operates. Leaving some people especially someone young who is just learning not only about themselves, but gaining a perspective on how the world progresses and learns to adapt. Never really feel they're left with much of an option, and if the environment around them is unstable then suicide for some is the outcome. No one ever said it was okay, but that is not how the world works. Life is not fair, I only hope that some people would take the time to understand the signs if someone is struggling with an issue that is outside their understanding, and guide them to believe that a life has more meaning then just tossing it aside. I appreciate the comments I do not believe a lot of people got the idea but that is okay, everyone has their own form of opinions and are appreciated to be made known. I do agree with Eaglekiwi, having a close and naive mindset allows you to dismiss someone who is struggling and be apathetic maybe do to ones own greed or self-awareness. With maturity shows respect not only for yourself but also for the people who are constantly around you on a daily bases wink.

It is a very good thread indeed, and one that touches my heart deeply.

The sad thing is ,we cant always know someones pain either ,because like you say by the time they commit suicide, (often they have attempted it before)they have maybe been reaching out ,but no one heard them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhOJW4Uwy3c

Does anybody hear? a song I like.

1. alisha4u profile image40

Suicide - I had always considered it to be a cowardly act... But, it dint take long for me to change my perception. Thanks to this 'thread'.

Personally, I have no offense for anyone over here. I ONLY wrote what I believed. You might not even care to read all this...But,  One thing I appreciate is the responses I got. One thing which I don't appreciate is the 'Way' I have been given those...Ofcourse, You have every right to Disagree... And I am fine with it...

But, what's the fun of using defamatory words like 'Closed Mind',  'Immaturity' and so.  Why making me a Target?? Does that make you feel Proud or Superior? Why Do you have to prove your Superiority?

People still might come up with nasty comments on this one, 'BUT I CALL IT A DAY.'
        Despite all, I wont ever support the act (Suicide), and at the same time, it is not a Cowardly act.. I do appreciate the moderator of this forum to have posted an eye-opener. Great to see so many people responding. Do come up with more such posts.
        WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...NO OFFENSE !!!

Words judging someone who thinks about or commits suicide as 'cowardly' was an opinion you openly shared and one I disagreed with. I followed with reasons why.
          (My response was directly in response to your comments).

Don't take it personally.

You seem to have opened your mind ,and in that I don't mind being proved wrong smile

8. DrMikeFitz profile image61
    DrMikeFitzposted 12 years ago

A permanent solution to a temporary problem. The problem with those who are "victim" to someone who has committed suicide is the polarization of only seeing one side of a two-sided event. In the end in life, even our deepest pains, there are benefits and everything serves. It is likely a difficult pill to swallow when one is caught in polarization. We have all been there. When we miss them, and they are physically gone, that is more than hard. Since energy and matter cannot be created not destroyed, they can only change form. That means they have transformed. What is there new form? You may find them in 20 new persons exhibiting those items you miss about them most. I hope your heart opens when you discover this.

9. zell12 profile image74

Everyone has done great with their comments, and I am really impressed. The only reason I did this post is not to offend people, there is a lot more to life and its beauty then arguing with someone you will never meet. I made this post of hopefully raising a moment of perception of what someone is going through and maybe some past experiences that would help someone who maybe is going through the same thing or maybe even something similar to what you're going through. This post was not for choosing sides it was just simple expressions of how you feel about teens committing suicide at such a young age, that can be early dismissed and relieved when taking the time to talk with someone who has questions about something that is bothering them. You tell someone their beautiful in a sense that you love who they are generally and not for an image that has been created by society and bestowed upon them to follow. Mainly speaking about teens who are young and finding out about themselves and even in their sexuality.

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

The long and short of it:  first, suicide is the most selfish act of all, being only about what that person thinks, with no concern whatever for the feelings of those they leave behind, and then it is a permanent "solution" for a temporary problem.

What about alternative  euthanasia an assisted  suicide?  Where they are not being selfish and thinking about being a burden to others. This methods  is also for patients who feel the unbearable pain  and only desire for it to be over

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's more selfish when people let someone live in constant pain when they are dying just so they won't lose that person. They are only thinking of themselves.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I said it was selfish, I was not speaking about assisted euthanasia for terminally ill patients.  The OP referred, "....especially to young teens..."  and it was that to which I responded.

2. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

not always a temporary problem, my sister had suffered depression, with no cure for almost 13 years, she felt that she was a nuisance, and we would be better off without her..... obviously she was not reasoning properly, but she suffered greatley, her suffering is over.  We suffer and so does her child, but we suffered more when she was alive, she was always tormented.

11. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

My first reaction is always to say, let people do what they want.  If they want to jump off buildings or put guns to their heads, who am I to say they can't.  However, my best, most beloved friend killed himself and I live everyday with the guilt of not having been there for him in his time of need. Suicide is a selfish act and it's consequences are far reaching.

Of course in a case where a person is terminally ill and is suffering in pain, why shouldn't they be able to choose suicide?

I couldn't agree more with your entire comment. It shouldn't be a decision made alone, and not when there's a chance your life could get better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)