Do you believe in God???

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (188 posts)
  1. boberto profile image54
    bobertoposted 14 years ago

Is there really a God out there?? If so where is he when we need him so much!!

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He is always there for you. smile

1. Tom D Nolan profile image60
        Tom D Nolanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how many of us REALLY believe what we THINK we believe? If asked I would say that I believe in God, and I certainly WANT it all to be true. However, when I listen to what's inside my head instead of trying to influence it, I find I don't really think there's a supreme being out there or that there's any spiritual existance beyond our time on earth. Hope I'm wrong.

2. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.  Maybe that's why he is absent so much.wink

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hes knocking on your door RK ,open it and let Him in smile

or will you sing

I hear you knocking , but you cant come in lol

3. Dylith profile image57
      Dylithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1.) Personally, I am not a religious person and do not believe in God. I do however, find religion rather fascinating.

2.) The answer to this question would seem to be rather depndant on which God (AKA which religion) you are referring to.

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. Any fool can see this. wink

5. onthewriteside profile image59
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course not...and that's all I have to say about that.

6. Army Infantry Mom profile image60
      Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe in God,..I prayed my son would come home alive from Afghanistan,..Not only is he alive and on his way home right now,..hes in one piece. So yes I believe.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

So - if he was coming home in a body bag - you would not believe?

7. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have far more questions about this than answers. But this I do know: We're not alone in the universe. Call it God, Higher Power, whatever, there is something wonderful out there that is simpler and less complex and far more magnificent than we create him/it in our minds to be.

I look at it this way: If God intervened on all the crappy horrible things we do to ourselves and others, when would we ever learn the lessons we need to learn? If he's always intervening, why would good and bad be important? I think we have to be the answer to our own problems and questions. I think that's the only way for us to understand who we are and how we are connected to him/it.

1. Make  Money profile image67
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said Daniel.  We can talk to God every day if we want.  He listens and likes our attention.  Some times He even answers our requests like He did for Army Infantry Mom.

2. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And if he directed our every path, we would accuse him of creating robots....

8. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you assume that if there is a God out there, He has to get us out of our messes?  If there is a God and He gave us free will, then he would not make his presence known.  Sort of like an all powerful, all seeing sociology professor.  Wow, that's a scary thought.

9. benparker profile image54
      benparkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe in God. It's kinda hard not to..there has to be an infinite being that created us..We just dont come to existence from a big bang a miraculously evolve to what we are today..

10. usmanali81 profile image60
      usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

He does not need to show you Himself while helping you.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What help? I don't see the world being helped!

1. usmanali81 profile image60

Do you see GRAVITY ???

lol

So let me get this straight. There is GRAVITY, therefore there is an invisible super being who does not like women wearing BIKINIS?

Did I get that right? lol lol

Are you laughing at the runway on your skull ???

No - I am laughing at your ridiculous, irrational beliefs. Sorry - I thought I had made that clear. wink

What is ridiculous in it??? why you have double standards???

You dont see gravity but believe in it, on the other hand, you dont see God and does not believe in Him

LOL

So, you drop something and it falls to the ground. Science explains this with the "theory of gravity." You say - no - this is proof there is an invisible super being who does not want women to wear BIKINIS. lol lol

And at the same time, the scientific theory of evolution proves there is no god Yet still you fight to shove the idea down everyone's throat. lol

I suggest you look up the words "irrational," and "ridiculous," in a decent dictionary. I recommend the Oxford English.

11. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I believe but why do we keep discussing this over and over? smile

1. Pest profile image80
        Pestposted 14 years agoin reply to this

God wants it that way....smile  wait no...demons are the ruse.....

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you know you are about as sweet as they come and so I usually read what you write and not respond because I haven't any reason to because you are good people.

However, with that said.  It keeps getting discussed for two of the same reason.  If there is even a chance to "free" people from this oppressive god so that people can be happy and do things together instead of against each other based on a belief that god is going to come back and fix it while destroying everything in his path, then we might be able to get along.

Why with all this knowledge and words of love they speak, they are not willing to work together for a better life on Earth, right here and now... well then like the book, they will make it happen but surely it will not be god who destroys everything. big_smile

12. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't necessarily think God works in that way.  Electricity isn't a guy that turns on a big switch.  God is an essence.

13. chukra G profile image60
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

your are responsible for the situation called " where is he when we need him so much" you created the situation at first, and after all you are still alive right, so when you needed him so much before this? and he failed to appear?

1. profile image0

SO he was there when you didn't need him, no?

1. chukra G profile image60

why must we expecting HIM for help, when there has been created, every single thing that we need to survive. How can HE defeat his own creation because of me alone. so he created the law of attractions, he wont help neither abandon you. HE left everything to you, no need to blame GOD i guess

1. chukra G profile image60

i am always exist at the present in this world right, there he is with me all the time

14. Andrew0208 profile image57
      Andrew0208posted 14 years agoin reply to this

God is a Spirit, His path with man's spirit is faith. I believe in God.

15. TrinaLynne profile image70
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He is there when you truly need him and submit that you need him. He's not a magician that gives you whatever you want when you wnt it.

If it is meant to be, God will allow it. If it is not meant to be, then God will not bring it to you.

Nice get out. Very impressive. What of it is not meant to be and somehow it doesn't get there. Divine intervention...........

Or maybe there is no god - as has been proven.

16. Orlando2Vegas.com profile image61
      Orlando2Vegas.composted 14 years agoin reply to this

From the beginning of time we have all questioned our belief system and the idea of God, Jehovah, Allah, Yahweh, and Eloh, if it weren't for history we would have forgotten our Creator,
      we as people only call on our Lord when times are hard and we have to rejoice in our Lord, for times good and bad, Read the Psalms for inspiriation I do every so often, I am not really a firm believer in the rituals contained in most religious dogma however my belief and faith will not be broken.

Learn more about your inner self and seek the truth in your life. Hopefully this hub reaches you like a big hug..

smile Lynne

History? lol

What are you talking about?  From the beginning of time - we made up shit to fill the gaps in knowledge. Now - we do not need to do that.

1. Andrew0208 profile image57

God is a Spirit. Very unreal to the sensory perceptions of self and science. Ignorance are in phases. Mark, Spiritual ignorance breeds more of such questions of if God do really exists. Religion is not left out in this ignorance. If you're expecting a proof of His existence perhaps Him wearing sunglasses or come in person like my avatar to prove His existence then the ignorance is most evident.

Andrew - your ignorance and gullibility are astounding. wink

I have no questions. God does not exist. No matter how many times you tell me I am ignorant or foolish. This will not change.

Open your eyes Andrew and accept you have swallowed the religious BS you claim to despise. Look at that picture of a pretend dead guy in your avatar - you should have stuck with the car you cannot afford. lol Talk about ignorant.......

1. Andrew0208 profile image57

Hahaha aeh. Wow! How are you sure Mark? The illusions of atheism are so astounding. God is real to me. The question here by the poster is "Do you believe in God?" Your unbelief does not put God(Spirit) out of existence. Believing is a choice. Thanks for admiring my previous and present avatar. Happy hubbing!

17. fishmox profile image59
      fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, right.
      always God's fault, never man's.

2. Miss M profile image60
    Miss Mposted 14 years ago

Yes, there is a God out there. He is there when wars are taking place, he is there when we are talkiing to manyone, and he is there to challenge us. a good person who does the right thing is in favour of God.

1. boberto profile image54
      bobertoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But if God is there when wars are taking place then why is there so much bloodshed in the world!?

Im not saying i don't believe in god i am just seeing what everyone thinks!!

1. profile image0

me thinks this god is evil.  If people would snap out of their god forsaken desire to convert the world or have total dominion over the earth then these bloody wars might stop already but nooooo..... their mystery god called ? makes them believe that all this death and destruction is a good thing.

Every time they pray for the kingdom to come, I know what they are praying for... total annihilation of the human race except for there particular god believing church.

It is not only scary but it is so absurdly disgusting to know that instead of working towards real peace by behaving like good people and doing good things without prejudiced towards other religions or faiths or spirit, they would rather everyone get killed.

Something about a god with an ultimatum to kill or be killed is just wrong...

1. Dylith profile image57

What particular wars or conflicts are you referring to? Most modern day conflict to me seems to overwhelmingly have more worldly roots and while religion can be used in some of them as a tool for recruitment or even justification it usually doesn't appear to be the main cause and I am usually under the opinion that religion, in this case tends to become just as much a victim as those who are killed in its name.

1. profile image0

do you mean religious roots based on traditions such as land ownership, religious practices and traditional integrity, denial of basic human rights, dictatorships that get their calling from some god that they believe put them there to complete the prophecy?

Believing in god is one thing, dictating what they should believe is another, plus please give me one, just one example of war that does not in someway involve a religion.

By involvement of religion I am not in so many ways referring to your everyday people attending a sermon or something more like political structures based on religious ideologies and dictators at the head of their, what I like to call, political/religionist parties/practices.

1.) When you speak of land ownership surrounding religion I am assuming that you are making reference to the Isralei-Palestinian conflict, which on the scale of things really isn't a religious conflict. It is one based on competeing ethnic nationalist movements. It certainly has some religious elements to it such as the religious Israeli settlers as well as say the Hamas organization and the issue surronding Jerusalem most certainly has religious roots; however, the modern Zionist movement that evolved in the late 1800's, while it included religious Jews, was largely a secular movement (as were Arab nationalist movements and current Arab nationalist movements such as Fatah).

Chalking the conflict up to religion in and of itself would be rather unfair and would also rather ignore some of the main aspects of the conflict. As for the other examples, you are going to have to be a bit more specific before I can address them.

2.) I agree in the fundamental difference between those two things. As for an example of a war that isn't caused by religion, there are a lot. Take the largest international war since WWII for example in the DR Congo region which was ignited by a power vacuum, greed based on resource exploitation and, to some extent, spill over violence from Hutu and Tutsi ethnic fighting. While it is true that some commanders/generals such as Laurent Nkunda used religion to try to justify his actions in the recent Kivu conflict, there is almost no room to assert that it was Christianity that caused the war that has claimed over 4 million lives in general.

3.) Like in 1. you are going to have to be a bit more specific before I can really respond adequately to this charge. I certainly share your concern for human rights and lament when religion is used to surpress them (such as in Saudi Arabia) however, on the larger scale of things sects such as Qutbism or Wahhabism for example seem to me to give the overarching religion that they are associated with a worse name than perhaps it deserves.

1. profile image0

And there you go, not one of the examples did not include religion of some sort. Yet I do agree it is not just a Christianity thing, if I point the finger it is not at the Christians as whole nor Islamic people as whole etc... I know it is hard to state what I really dislike or even hate without offending someones personal spiritual sense... but it is "religion", the structure of religion is political but what is worse then just the "caste" structure of it is the "spiritual oppression" it causes which in my very simple way of life is about the worst thing a person could do to another.

Think about it, oppression has been a root problem for the past 6000 years as far as I know.  Religion has always been part of the human intellect.  Other religions sprout because they want to be free from religious or political oppressions, slavery etc...right?

Yet what remains is... religion, politics,oppression, and a different form of slavery which causes strife and anger at the core of humanity, I call spiritual oppression.

To be a little more clear the main point that I was responding to at first was your suggestion that "If people would snap out of their god forsaken desire to convert the world or have total dominion over the earth then these bloody wars might stop already"

Which seems to indicate that you support some notion which states something along the lines that religion is the main cause of most modern/current conflict. Something which I disagree with. Religion or religious people existing within these conflicts doesn't make the conflict about religion and it doesn't necessarily make religion a significant cause of the violence.

Are some members of the FARC Christians? sure, is Christianity a main cause of the civil conflict involving the FARC? Not at all really. Are Tamils religious? sure, was Buddhism or Hinduism the main cause of Sri Lanka's civil war? No. Even modern day radical Islamic terrorism has significant worldly roots as the 9/11 report indicated and as the Gallup poll on Islamic attitudes towards the west indicates.

I think that there is a lot in religion that can be worked on, I certainly share your dislike to some extent for the manner in which some religions are organized and run on a day to day basis, However I find it too simplistic to blame religion for so many of the world's current sufferings.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Religion is MAN made not Christ !
                I guess man or woman always needs a scapegoat
                When they lose they blame God ( or a god)
                When the win ,they claim "In God We Trust"
                Silly humans smile

1. profile image0
                  dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

or are they monkeys?????

Because they say God told them , doesnt make it so ,anymore than someone saying there Doctor told them ...

Still its easy to put the blame on someone or something
              Easier than putting the blame where it belongs ( Mankind)

God Is Love Not Hate
        Man starts wars, Man fights them.
        God has never asked me to kill anyone ,infact He said Do not Murder ,so Man must make up these rules for war too.

1. profile image52
          Tonya Wallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People want to believe God is love, but the God of the Bible is a God of WAR and VINDICTIVENESS.

In Leviticus it says that if a man and a woman commit adultery they should both be put to death.  I'd say that is and order to kill. 

What about in Joshua 6 when God ordered the Israelites to march around Jericho and destroy everything in the city, men, women, young, old, even the livestock. He TOLD them to kill!

Really read the Bible and pay attention.  God ordered all the first born of the Egyptians to be killed even of the livestock.  It was the angel of death sent by GOD...men didn't do that.

The Levitical or Mosaic Law has been fulfilled with Jesus Christ.  Thank God we do not have to follow these laws any more, other than the ten commandments.  These laws were for the Israelites of old to obey so God would be with them and so they could show the power of the almighty God when not many knew Him or had fallen away.

Note this does not negate the promise to Abraham as we see in Paul's letter to the Galatians.

Galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. Galatians 3:29 And if you be Christ's, then are you the seed of Abraham, heirs according to the promise.

This is called the doctrine of supersession where there is a seamless transition from the Old Testament to the New.  More about this can be found here,
            http://www.whymostfail.com/chosen.html     

Again these two instances were to show the power of the almighty God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when not many knew Him or had fallen away.  Thanks and praise goes to Jesus Christ who gave us the New Covenant.  God is love.

1. profile image52

So basically when I was responding to the other post 'God says not to kill' you just deleted that in your head and went on explaining the supporting scripture that backed my argument...by saying they were for a different dispensation.  Typical side stepping.  The fact is God told people NOT to kill AND told them to kill...kill their own kids, kill the enemies' kids...kill their animals and on and on. 

Now, if God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.  Then why Law in the OT and Grace in the NT?  Those two things are not the same.  If we are under supposedly we are under a new law which is love they neighbor as thyself, so why do we still have to obey the ten commandments?  They were from the OT...before Christ.  Wait I know you have 'scripture' to explain away everything.  No logic or reason...but lots of belief and feelings.  Great.  But if you were to try your belief in a court of law...the case would be thrown out because there is no sound evidence.  Lots of hearsay and circumstance...but no facts.

Well the facts are in the New Testament if you accept it.  Jesus mentions the 10 commandments in Romans 13, Luke 18 and Matthew 19 to name a few.  I would say that is logical, reasonable and factual.  Well I guess it would depend on who the judge was. smile

Dispensationalism is rather a new theology brought about by John Nelson Darby just over 100 years ago, just before Theodor Herzl founded the political movement called Zionism.  We are living in that 1,000 year period that dispensationalists speak of right now.  These two pages may help you decide whether the form of dispensationalism that you follow is correct or not.
                http://www.scripturecatholic.com/second_coming.html
                http://www.scripturecatholic.com/zionism.html

1. profile image52

Again I feel that you are not addressing the issue, which is the first lady's post saying 'God doesn't tell people to kill because he is good'.  When in actuality the Bible is full of God's telling people to kill.  The Bible is full of contradictions.  That is all.  I don't really worry about which dispensation I believe in because I believe Christianity is based on preChristian paganism.  There is nothing original in the Bible, not even the virgin birth.  So to me, all the arguments given by the Bible are invalid.

3. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

Dont believe ALL my crap. Believe this.... I do believe in GOD. He/she whatver, gave us free will. Its like the parent of a nearly grown child. We made our own decisons and as much as it hurts him to see us suffer, we have to learn it on our own.

4. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

Yes God is always there. Sometimes he comes in shape of happiness and sometimes in shape of sorrow, sometimes is shape of man and sometimes in shape of woman.

5. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

yes i believe in god
      do you know you have opened a can of worms?

1. profile image0

oh yes, let me guess... you particular religion doesn't believe in that but you get god cards and your name on a roster to ensure your place in gods kingdom of righteous government on earth and the opportunity to be the judges with jesus in a perfectly ruled kingdom of righteousness and then satan will be unleashed again just incase any anyone slipped through the cracks right?

They JW's just can't see that "governments" according to JW's are the work of Satan yet for some reason they still believe that their righteous government will somehow be the exception to the rule.

I like you Brenda but if you take your religion seriously enough and really want to be doing the right thing etc... then you might be able to forsee that... if you do not stop the practices of the nicolations then your god will remove your lampstand.

2. Candie V profile image61
      Candie Vposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you Brenda! On both points.. and the fact that this is becoming such "attack based" is sad.

3. Ladybird33 profile image68
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am a true believer and agree with Brenda, big can of worms

6. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I really wish you would not speak to me with such venim

1. profile image0

oh, you mean truth? big_smile

7. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Im a fool for Christ smile

It shows. lol

Aww thankyou ,when I displease you ,then I know for sure , Im on the right track smile

Who said "displeased."? Just obvious. lol

Ok (rolls eyes) obvious then smile

"Laughable," is probably a better word. wink

there is always something better...probably lol

1. profile image0

a wrathful and jealous god?

Hes not angry or jealous with me wink

8. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

I believe in HIM.My observation make me feel his presence.

9. Pest profile image80
    Pestposted 14 years ago

If god does not exist then where does my spaghetti come from???  i am so confused now!  smile

1. profile image0

from the FSM of course, don't worry my spaghetti loving child, ravioli is on it's way to clear things up. big_smile

10. profile image50
    sarahjimposted 14 years ago

I used to believe in God, like I used to believe in Father Christmas but really knew he was a myth. The idea of believing in God is a positive thing, without it the modern world would completely collapse - most societies would cease to exist, there wouldn't be enough scientists or psychologists to cope with the depression or alternative "answers" and we would all have to either get along or start fighting. As it has been for thousands of years, and as it will continue to be. But let it be, so long as various religions notion of "God" don't continue to start and continue wars. God is what you make it, your values and your Big Brother. God is your friends.

11. onthewriteside profile image59
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

Imagine, if you will, a history completely devoid of the entire God concept.  So much so that even the word "God" didn't exist.  Science and ingenuity were prevalent, and societies had learned to respect one another based solely on a man-made morality.

Now one day a man comes along and starts telling everyone he meets about this invisible sky-fairy dude named God, and how he is the creator of everything.  How long do you think it would take before that man was strapped into a straight jacket and thrown into a padded cell?

Religion is what it is because our history was what it was.

But it didnt happen that way did it?
      People still talk about this man Jesus Christ
      People still write about Him
      People still believe in Him 2,000 years later
      Incidently the Bible is most sold book in the world?
      There must certainly be alot of people throughout history that got it all wrong then , I think not

1. profile image0

The Bible is also the most stolen book, copied and rewritten book in the world.

People still believe in him because they are still waiting for him to come which will never happen because either he never existed (which I doubt) or he is dead.  Let the man rest in peace.

There are a lot of people who got it wrong but a majority doesn't want to admit there is something wrong with it so they just keep propagating it instead of admitting that it is possible that ya'll f*cked up and got it wrong.

Dont no why you would waste your time with something so wrong then...that sounds very screwed up to me
          I know I wouldnt...

1. profile image0

A waste of time would be to keep telling this lie as the truth about life.

It is not a waste of time to tell people they are going to be okay if they do not buy into this angry, jealous, wrathful deity god that doesn't love them for exactly who they are and not tell them they are abominations or sinners for making tuff life choices, for believing in something better than this that gives them peace, for perusing the life that they do have instead of the life they do not have.

But let me guess, you care more about where they are going in their next life instead of caring about who they are right here and now.

12. Mason Hymas profile image57
    Mason Hymasposted 14 years ago

smile I do.

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

The guy in a white robe that lives on a cloud and cooks sinners for eternal dinner? Sure I do! lol

14. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

No I do not.

15. tjmatel3 profile image60
    tjmatel3posted 14 years ago

Yes, I believe there is a God out there, but many times we fail to invite him in.  Think about it - if your friend says I am allergic to dogs, but you go buy a dog anyway, do you think he'll come to your house?

My belief in God stems from the fact that I do not believe the universe, gravity, oceans with natural borders, or lives transformed from a mess to something beautiful are accidents or coincidences.  There's got to be someone or something bigger than us out there.

16. HealthCare Basics profile image61
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I believe in some sort of supreme entity, but I refuse to call it "God". There is too much confusion over the "God" factor and is only brought up by those who cannot except anything else but what is written in a book by others who have used interpretation.

For me, there will always be something out there more supreme than us, as humans. I call it nature. The power of nature can be forgiving or devastating at whim with no particular direction or goal. We, on the other hand, can travel in the path of nature and take the consequences.

17. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I always find this circular reference a bit unsettling. If we question God we lack faith, but if don't question him then we follow blindly. However, the original question 'Is there a God?' can be answered easily if we take ourselves outside of religion and think of the question logically.

If you believe, then yes, he exists. Maybe only in your heart and mind, or perhaps across the wide expanse of all that is, but he does then by definition still exist.

And what if you don't believe?

If you chose not to believe and he doesn't truly exist - nothing lost. However, what if he does?

Our creator made us (according to bible doctrine), but our free will came from the devil (Garden of Eden - Adam and Eve). Now, the book says that God is all-powerful. He's not somewhat-powerful, mostly-powerful, or nearly-totally-powerful - he's all-powerful - the book never says otherwise. Taking that as truth, God could have taken free will back from Adam - why didn't he?

It seems obvious ... he wanted us all to determine our own path. We don't do good because we have no concept of evil - we do good because we chose by our own free will to do so. That adds meaning and purpose to our lives, and I think that's what any creator would want for his children.

It's not a question of whether he exists, nor is it a question of what will happen to us if we fail to believe - it's a question of whether we do enough on this Earth to make a positive difference. Live by that philosophy and I don't think you should have anything to worry about.

And ... I know ... I can hear the drums beating. Failure to believe in God guarantees a trip downstairs. Again ... if God wanted everyone to believe in him he would force us to do so. Better yet ... he would part the clouds and yell down at us. Believe me, we'd listen.

It's all about doing good out of our own free will ... and that's not a bad philosophy to live by, regardless of whether God exists or not.

And if he doesn't exist, why do we still insist on believing?

Well, sometimes the world throws at us a lot more than we can handle, and it's nice to think at those times that we are being watched over and protected.

Existent or not, it's comforting to believe a supreme being might consider us all worthy enough to take an interest. wink

18. sweigand profile image61
    sweigandposted 14 years ago

Yes, but I don't believe in organized religion telling me how to live my life.

19. boberto profile image54
    bobertoposted 14 years ago

Do people believe in Jesus!?

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can only speak for myself.... i DO

20. Rudra profile image67
    Rudraposted 14 years ago

God is dead. Or if alive he/she/it/whatever has no more power than a mere spectator.

21. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

No...But what one does not believe others will follow and jump off a cliff...the world is saved then!!

22. ninja87 profile image58
    ninja87posted 14 years ago

The best answer to this question is that he exists if you believe in him, and if you don't believe in him, then he does not exist. There will never be a solid answer to this question and so quite frankly people should stop arguing.

And to those who say religion doesn't cause wars, take a look at this forum! If ordinary people can argue and bicker like children over one small religious question, think of what can happen when people who have power decide to bicker over other religious related things....

23. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

It's hard to imagine an entity so bored he created man, knowing how his experiment would turn out already.  Having to create a flood to kill off most of the imperfect humans to save a few when a simple disease would have sufficed.  And Satan, can't he read the Bible too?  The end result is foretold so what's the point?  Or fate has been known forever if we believe God is all knowing and has always been.

If this is true then we are merely playing our predestined roles in a tragic and bloody play with a last act which is already known.  Has God nothing better to do?

24. apeksha profile image66
    apekshaposted 14 years ago

little bit..as god never did any expected thing for me...
    sad

He gave you beautiful eyes to see and observe

25. Eaglekiwi profile image74

The Original question Is

Do You Believe In God

My answer was and is still Yes.

He exists to me
    If I sin ,he exists
    If I dont sin ,he exists

Imagination or Faith( and everyone has Faith in SOMETHING) or someone.

I have Faith In Jesus Christ. smile

26. ninja87 profile image58
    ninja87posted 14 years ago

P.S

No, no I dont believe

27. albinoeski profile image60
    albinoeskiposted 14 years ago

YES I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE IN GOD. THERE IS GOD. EVENTHOUGH I HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW, I STILL BELIEVE IN GOD.  HE IS ALWAYS THERE FOR US.

28. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I believe in God as much I believe in life and death.

29. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 14 years ago

I thank God for His mercy and kindness in my life as I mark my birthday today 26th June. God is Awesome and Faithful. Thank You Lord Jesus.

Happy birthday Andrew

30. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Staying on topic! and away from personal attacks ,on anyones education or intellect, I think the word you meant to type Sandra was Psychology.

You have no idea the work that I have , other people have done , before we were born ,currently ,or after yet you judge everyone the same.

There is an old proverb:

If you want to change the world
    First you must begin with yourself

Not a bad idea huh 

Have a good week-end ,Im out

1. profile image0

yes, I did that now it is your turn. big_smile

31. Isabellas profile image72
    Isabellasposted 14 years ago

God does exist. The speak of God being oppressive is false. God gave us free will to choose, but if you choose the wrong path then you will believe that you are being oppressed by God because he is with you trying to guide you back onto the path of righteousness. However, if you have faith in God and belief in his love you will not feel oppressed by God.

1. profile image0

Really, is that why when someone believes something different from the the god of the bible, those who believe in it come along and tell you that what you believe is false? 

this god might have given us free will but the religions who preach this a true certainly do their best to deny people of their free will to worship or believe as they please.

I don't believe I am being oppressed by god, indeed it is the actions of mans all ill holy bolongna that suggest that the idea of believing in something better than a damning god is bad and a road to hell.

your god is oppressive, unless you mean it is satan. big_smile

32. yoshi97 profile image56

Hmmm ... God wants you to believe in him (pretty much demands it, or your soul will perish in fire). However, he wants you to derive the fact he exists from written and oral accounts of other men.

(bear with me here, as I will soon make a point)

We must believe because we are told to believe, and the proof offered is anything good - or bad - that happens in the world. Good things are God's blessings and bad things are God's repayment for evil deeds.

I just need to believe and all is good. And even better ... if it turns out God doesn't really exist, I lose nothing, as then I have lived a good life.

Win-win ... right?

Um ... no ... there are complications.

You see, there are other gods (Vishnu being one of them) who also demand belief and offer the same proof of their existence. Now, should I believe in them too? After all, belief is a guarantee to a good afterlife. Sounds easy, except if you believe in one, you're not allowed to believe in others, as all these gods are jealous of one another.

Let me ask you this ... Why are there are so many religions, and all think the other is wrong for their teachings. According to their doctrines, if you don't do as they say your soul will be in jeopardy. However, the rules of each oppose the rules of the other.

So ... Let's say there definitely is a God, your soul will definitely perish if you refuse to believe, and you must thoroughly obey all of the laws of the church to have a great afterlife (roll with it). Knowing all that ... which church has it right? After all, if we can be wrong for following another god (such as Vishnu), then we can also be wrong for attending the wrong church.

Also, why is there such diversity over God, but not Satan. To be a member of the Satan club you need only be less than good - you don't even need to attend any meetings or learn anything. However, being a member of God's flock requires much research and patient learning. We're born innocent, and yet we somehow lack the ability to stay that way - even under the best of circumstances.

My take on things? God IS real, but totally misunderstood. It's a universal guiding force within us that tells us right from wrong and allows us the chance to work past our primal instincts to do good acts for others, without any thought or concern for repayment.

Primitive man most certainly didn't believe in God. He believed in survival and was very into being like the other beasts on this planet - fighting to survive. However, he learned that by cooperating with other men, he could accomplish much more, increasing his odds for survival. Religion was created as a force to part the differences and cement whole communities together, allowing survival a better chance and insuring domination of this world.

How do you control a populace that refuses to buckle under torture (remember, all forms of torture have existed throughout the ages, and as of yet, no method has fully deterred crime), you threaten their afterlife with a supreme being that can not be seen or reasoned with. In essence, you create a judge of men that MUST be listened to, lest you suffer endlessly once you die.

As such, God (and other gods) exists to guide us into being more civilized and allow us to fight off our primal urges. Our success story as the dominant species on this planet lends a lot to these beliefs as they allowed us to become peaceful and spend more time (and energy) discovering new technologies to further our species along.

Alas, all gods are a manifestation of man's mind, but isn't Satan as well?

--- Now I know there are many who will take offense to that, but here me out before you bring out the pitchforks ---

If you truly believe, then God DOES exist for you. Also, for those who do not believe, they have no God beside them. So, while he does not exist (physically) for me, he DOES exist for you. It's all a matter of deciding for one's own self whether your life needs a guiding force, or you feel strong enough to go it alone.

This is the true evolution of religion ... bringing us to a point where we can finally rationalize that we can be good because we see a benefit to our civilization for doing so, and not because we fear what will happen in the afterlife. This is a philosophical evolution that has yet to be realized by our species, but will be in time.

For, you see, there is absolutely nothing wrong with religion, nor would I ever consider taking it away from another person. I admire people for their beliefs, so long as they live by them and use them to better the lives of all around them. I also understand the need to chastise *sinners*, as these are people seen as not conforming to societies acceptable norms and this is the way the believing populace pushes them back into the path of what is acceptable.

However, what I do have a problem with is the blindness faith often inspires. As an example, what about the many mass-suicides that have occurred throughout the ages (many in the past century), all because some man foresaw judgment day and determined this unseen force had called upon them to die.

Now, we all look back on these people and call them wackos, but understand this ... they obeyed an unseen force and didn't question what they were told, because they were told doing so proved their lack of faith in God. So, how far do we follow leaders to the precipice before we think a bit for ourselves?

Which brings me to a better argument for or against religion

What if  ... we discover a pygmy tribe in the heart of Africa that has never met God before. We try to explain it all, but they chose to believe in us instead, as we are standing right there.

They're a savage people, and this offends us.

One day, Magumba captures a woman and a child from another village and brings them back to the village. The tribe demands that the woman be beheaded in front of the child and the child forced to walk home, showing the power of this tribe.

As an onlooker, you gasp out 'God would not want you to do this!'

Of course, they stare at you and ask, 'But what is it you would want?'

You blink, and then recapture your emotions. Knowing the crowd is listening, you tell them murder is wrong and they must no longer kill anyone. Surprisingly, they let the woman and the child go then pledge to never kill again. In your name, they profess that murder is wrong and *surprisingly* hold to their word.

Now ... these people always turn away when you tell them what God wants them to do, but for some reason they listen to you. Faced with the moral dilemma of bringing these savages to civility, would you become their god?

Now, before you answer that, I'm not saying you would have them worship you as that would be wrong. I'm asking if you would be willing to give laws to these people to live by, knowing full well they see you as a deity, instead of another human being?

I can already hear the murmurs ... 'I'd be doing God's work, so this is okay.' Is it? You would be doing it, knowing full well the villagers were encouraged by their belief in only you and not some unseen spirit. Therein lies the greatest morality issue of all time ... would you step in for your God to save the lives of others, or do as is expected of you and stand back to let whatever carnage occur as is mandated by your God?

Of course, some would say God placed you in that village to help those people, so you are still acting on his behalf. Again, I must point out that this is *not* the villagers perception. To them, *you* are God, and they refuse to hear anything different you have to say of it. You can play the role or walk away. I think many of us would stay, so long as we could prove to ourselves at the end of the day that we were serving a higher purpose.

The cold reality ... faith isn't blind, it's followers are. Everything we have read is true, and yet it has been distorted through the ages, all to wash our hands free of responsibility. Belief is not enough ... It's not even our actions which we are held accountable for, but that which occurs because of them.

You see, we as a species represent every god there are was or will be. God is our belief of what is good and pure, versus that which is evil and vile. That's why we can't see God and yet he is all around us. Without belief, he simply does not exist, as he is our own creation. And interestingly enough, nothing I just stated in this paragraph contradicts any single belief that exists on this planet.

We all want to think there is something more, when in reality God is nothing more than a belief in doing what is better for society, in an effort to perpetuate our species. Think I'm wrong? I have absolute proof.

Consider *any* action that would harm society and then ask yourself 'Would God approve?'. The answer is always no. And yet, who in the end puts murderers to death, takes drug dealers off the streets, puts an end to violent atrocities? In the end, it is always men of reason, who understand that for society to exist, we can not allow ourselves into savagery.

Yes, as I said before, God truly does exist ...  but it's a belief, and not a supreme being, as many of us need to believe.

And failure to believe *does* violate God. For if we all decide one day he no longer exists, then God does truly cease to exist. Only by perpetual belief do we continue God's existence, which is why belief is the foundation of all religions. After all, how many ancient beliefs have ceased to exist - all because its believers failed to believe. The ancient gods of Egypt are a prime example. Without believers, their belief system is no longer here.

And on one final note ... Many will point out that I capitalized the word God, signifying my own belief. Excellent point, but I never claimed not to believe. For, you see, it's our belief that creates God, and so long as some believe - then God exists.

It's no different than believing in George Washington. None of us lived with the man or have seen his bones, but we believe he existed as we have read of his acts and revere him for what he had done. Belief *can* make things exist, regardless of whether they actually have physical substance.

That's why faith in something is so important, as it's the powerful driving force that perpetuates man as a species.

And so, I say onto you ... believe what you will, just so long as you stay true to your beliefs. There is no negative connotation to us becoming a more peaceful and civilized species, so why some might see religion as needless control I see it as a voluntary means for those who need guidance to fall in line. And for those who already pave their own road, I see it as a means of understanding there will always be multiple roads to travel - all arriving (hopefully) at the same great plateau. smile

(sorry it's so long, but I have a very complex view on things and I tried to explain it all as best I could.)

1. profile image0

I think therein is the problem because for some what is better for society seems to be a belief in mass denial of our animal human selves and an "annihilation" of sorts, of the people who chose to believe that this understanding comes from the mind and not of an exterior god.

Also, I don't believe that many can grasp the concept of god being a manifestation of the human mind (spirit if you will) that the concept is not any different from the the concept of the invisible hand that drives the economy.

Yet because they cannot seem to understand this "force" they go about life with no "real" sense of how life "works" and cannot see that the "manifestation" of the god they think they believe is a beast by nature in suppression or oppression of humanities natural effort to want to live.

Because we don't know with absolute truth what happens after death, some of these religions play on the weakest part of the human spirit, which is the fear of not knowing and this causes a mass hysteria if you will, which allows them to play on their psychological meekness and manifest an angry beast.

And so for many of them, to say to them "fear not what you do not know and work here in what you do know", has already become a doctrine of evil and so they will not look at this life for what it could be and go right to the next life without regards for those around them in this one.

2. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's so long that it could make a hub!

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I considered it, but I thought a hub to be a poor choice of platform for a philosophical debate. After all, here in the forums a person can disagree and be heard (as they should). In a hub they can only make a comment and then be ignored.

We never grow wiser by accepting what is said, but rather, by taking the time to question things and discern the truth for ourselves. wink

33. Dylith profile image57
    Dylithposted 14 years ago

I generally have a hard time understanding how Christians can reconcile the notion of "free will" with Biblical Scripture. The idea of its existence has seemed to have snuck into Christian beliefs, but rather than complimenting the traditional beliefs of Biblical Christianity it seems to do a better job of degrading and eroding them.

34. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Yaaaawwwnn!

Zzzzzzz. I agree. Gets a liiiitle boring with these guys. oh well - as long as they have given up the idea of burning you at the stake for not agreeing with their irrational beliefs.....

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Burning at the stake...how very Christian of them...zzzzz still asleep!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Burning people for their heresy, and/or sins?  I thought that was Satan's job?

That was my understanding as well. Oh well..... big_smile

1. profile image0

mine too...

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
              Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brings new meaning to "doing the Devil's work," doesn't it?

1. profile image0

well you know what they say... there is only one god. LOL big_smile

2. JonTutor profile image60
                JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or rather being the Devil's Advocate.

35. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Mark it seems your previous sermon to women has sparked the Holy Spirit in some of the girls in here.  Good going man.  Your "ministry" is causing more to testify for Our Lord.  God bless you brother.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  smile

Quite right. Pointing out the hypocrisy in the bible is part of my mandate. You might say god told me to do it, but I just thank my education.

The more people we can educate about the irrational rubbish you believe the better.

My pleasure - any time. big_smile

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that Budda...er brother...oh whatever!

36. onthewriteside profile image59
    onthewritesideposted 14 years ago

And no Sandra....I'm not stalking you....LOL!

37. yoshi97 profile image56

Actually, I would like an explanation on all the ancient dinosaur bones we keep finding.

After all, according to written scripture, man came first. According to the fossil record, man was a late-comer.

So, where do the dinosaurs fit into things? Are they fictitious? I seriously can't believe that old bones would lie, However, I should think if anything so massive walked beside man in his early days it certainly would have been given a mention.

Perhaps we are a mulligan and the dinosaurs were the first shot by our creator. If not, then we need to think long and hard about this paradox ...

38. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

Yes, there is a God indeed. He is there when we need Him. He walks beside us when we are fine and is carrying us through, when we are ailing. That came from footprints.

How come your god allows so much suffering. Is he just looking after you?

2. profile image0

So god makes you suffer so that you will need him? Isn't that like starving your kid so they can beg you for food?

1. quicksand profile image83
        quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No! No it's not! smile

39. quicksand profile image83
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

Those who believe in rebirth will explain suffering as inevitable and a requirement, as it enables one's unsocial acts (sins) in previous existences to get neutralized. smile

So he is just looking after you. I do not have sin, as I do not have your god.

I said "those who believe in rebirth" have an explanation. Well I believe that this makes some sense, and it is worth discussion without rejecting it at once. What do you think? smile

Suffering is not inevitable. Aplologists for religion have harped on about this for ever.Suffering will be removed by man with science, not by some invisible, never-present-when-needed invisible pretend friend.

40. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

My Prayer
    Thank you for giving each of us free will, a conscience, and an intellect of our own.
    They are the compass, the light, and the sextant to guide us on this journey of consciousness we call life.
    Please reduce the din of those whose bias would divert us from the way we have chosen back to you. 
    Show them that there are many paths to you, all leading up the mountain to the top where you are waiting for us.
    Q.

It is religion that is biased and bigoted.Your beliefs are just that.... beliefs.

41. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Yes, I believe God is here, right now with all who believe in Him and even those who don't. Sometimes he just doesn't answer because our questions may not be part of His plan for us.

¡Ole!

42. profile image57
    FREEDOM002posted 14 years ago

only the fool says there is no GOD.Mind you, i don,t belive on the so call christians and moslem cos,the  problem we have today is been caused by them.They cannot even live in peace within them selfs.Yet the preach love.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)