Nigerian Child Witches and the Church. This almost made me sick.

Jump to Last Post 101-140 of 140 discussions (598 posts)
  1. enderw1ggins profile image60
    enderw1gginsposted 14 years ago

Can we get the phone number to the authorities?

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We can do anything if we try, (almost) but Nigeria may be difficult for us to deal with, I speak English only, and worse with an Australian accent!

2. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I will look on the net, surely someone has already done something we can add to.

3. earnestshub profile image79

I just noticed they have a church in South Africa as well.

4. enderw1ggins profile image60

Well, its getting a little late here in Oregon but I know a few solid pastors in Nigeria through my church. I could try and send them an email and go from there.

Great idea. You sleep well now.

5. earnestshub profile image79
  6. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Would ranting posters/preachers please go to another forum, perhaps one with a pulpit.

We may be creating hub history this very day, where a thread actually creates an impulse to do something.  Jesus Christ, miracles can happen!

1. JonTutor profile image60
      JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hallelujah.. Miracles do happen.

7. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

I'm checking my church sites for Nigeria related news.  As you would expect mostly good PR so far but I'll keep checking.  We have a religious liberty office at our HQ in USA so I'll send them an email as well as a link to this forum.

but for some good news about what churches are doing in Nigeria
    http://news.adventist.org/2009/04/post-1.html

8. glendoncaba profile image74

No wonder the angels went to the shepherds.

The bright Pharisees in HubPages would have taken 450 posts before a call to action to go worship the baby Jesus.

Shepherds are simple humble people, they went to the manger right away.

Can u imagine, over 400 posts.

1. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are you talking about?  New born babies seem to have that effect on people.  They go all gooey and talk funny.

9. glendoncaba profile image74

The shepherds response; worship baby Jesus.

HubPages shepherds response:  save the children of the world.

Good name for a charity:  HubPages Shepherds.  You heard it here first.  Patent it.

10. glendoncaba profile image74

Still searching sites.  More good news about Nigeria.  balance the picture.

http://news.adventist.org/2009/06/niger … ist-u.html

Can a Nigerian tell me the largest township near the location so I may email an adventist conference nearby.

This was the town Ernest mentioned previously.  Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria.

11. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Thanks Eric I will take a detour and look at them.

12. earnestshub profile image79

This is the worst I have seen so far, thanks for the links Eric.

13. Jewels profile image83

Here's another very informative link.  Note down the centre page is a wordpad download which is very informative report completed by Stepping Stones.  This groups is the major link to the care of these children.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/publications/593

Perhaps the Director of Stepping Stones Gary Foxcroft could shed some light on the current situation.  Most of the articles on the subject are 18 mths to 2 years old.

The Christian element,the demoness pentacostal preacher Helen Ukpabio is the head I want on a plate.  (http://helen-ukpabio.com/)

Spot on! This woman has power and prestige through her media work and her own machine should be used to bring her down. I have no idea how to do that yet.
      I feel sure Mr. Gary Fox will be thinking about it too.

This is where fierycj's AK47 is to be aimed - at Helen the demonic preacher and she can be made an example of.  Any demonic preacher will be at the end of fierycj's AK47 if they mess with common decency and harm the children.

14. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Probably the most useful, direct assistance that can be given is a donation to the Stepping Stones organisation that cares for these children.

http://www.justgiving.com/witchchildren/

Make a donation if you can.

(I've checked out this organisation, and justgiving.com and have found nothing to indicate that they are dodgy.)

We could even set up a special page at justgiving.com where donations from Hubbers could be tracked. Maybe a goal of say, 5 thousand dollars could be set.

Great idea Eric, thanks.

2. Jewels profile image83

Eric, can you organize that? I would like to donate and would be great if there was an impulse from the religious forum!!  Kidding, hubpages community generally. I will wait to hear back with what can be arranged with this before I do anything.

This feels right. smile

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This would be more properly organised through the Hub Pages management.
        They could set up a hubpages page at justgiving.com and direct any funds to the "Stepping Stones" organisation.

That way, anyone can see how much Hubpages members have given to this cause. Could be a good thing for Ryan to promote as well.

Anyway, I've "reported" this post to atract the attention of HP staff, and asked that Hub Pages set up a fund raising page.

cheers, Eric G.

15. enderw1ggins profile image60

Right on Eric! I feel like part of the "Aussie Posse" plus one Oregonian and nothing rhymes with Oregonian.

I'm in. Lets get a master plan working any ideas?

Looks like the Pope is in too.

http://ncronline.org/news/vatican/conde … ity-africa

With all due respect to his pontiffness, isn't he missing the point a bit.  These kids are not witches in the first place. and it's preachers who are blurting silliness.  Anyway, let him go for it.  If it stops the silliness then let him talk, he has to earn his place doing something.

Yeah to a master plan smile

16. enderw1ggins profile image60

Jewels,

The Nigerian Witch Hunt has very little to do with sound Christian doctrine. The Pope is recognizing the fact that people in Nigeria and other African nations believe in witchcraft. Therefore attempts to teach good theology has been grossly underestimated due to the fact that the African people are still riding the fence with both world views. The Catholic church is attempting to offer a complete solution.

The actions of the people do not resemble proper Christian behavior in any way. It's not the collective churches fault it is the fault of the local church.

Hope that answers your question. I was supposed to be in bed three hours ago!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a little unclear as to what constitutes "sound christian doctrine."

I understand that the pope recommends not using condoms to prevent AIDS from spreading:

http://news.aol.com/article/pope-condoms-aids/384211

I also understand that the catholic church is finally prepared to apologize for the systemic child abuse perpetrated in Ireland:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre … king33.htm

Although I also understand the New York branch is fighting vigorously to not have to pay damages to the victims of childhood sexual abuse by Catholic priests:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/nyregion/05abuse.html

The last witch killed in Europe was just 220 years ago:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26422359/

Good Theology? Seriously - we have never in the history of the christian church been able to separate our "pagan" irrational beliefs from the "christian" irrational beliefs.

The story of Jesus is just taken from previous mythologies:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Death-And-Rebirth-Of-A-God

Nice user name by the way smile

17. Jewels profile image83

Witchcraft itself is not the whole issue here, though the Pope has used this tact to sell Christianity - that's his job.  The issue is the manipulative manner in which a christian (pentacostal) preacher has used the belief of witchcraft to gain financially.

'People of God' (I use that term very loosely) are seen as seers - which they are not in 99% of cases, but gullible, fearing, vulnerable people hang on every word that comes from them.  This is my major concern here.  There is no jurisdiction on who gets a license to preach and abuse the power of being apparently called by 'God' to influence people.  This has to stop, along with the abuse of children who get caught in the crossfire of adult greed.  Witchcraft was the tool used to manipulate.  The children are not witches.  I've said that several times in this thread.

18. enderw1ggins profile image60

Jewels,

It is a crime to hand out ordinations to just anybody. I have a degree in theology and I'm not ordained. This practice needs to end pronto!

Perhaps get ordained and use your cross and garlic to rid the planet of the Pentacostal fools.  I would donate to that cause. smile

Seriously, is there any movement to stamp out this problem, cause it is a problem.  And the damage it is doing to your religion must be difficult for you to tolerate.

To non Christians, and I can't speak for everyone of course, this type of behavior does nothing but turn people away. And in the process anyone aligning to Christianity is going to get put under the same umbrella as these Pentecostals.

19. enderw1ggins profile image60

Alright my friend save that argument for the moment. I'm going to start a new thread with a provocative title. Lay down some ground rules and open with a simple argument. Then i'm going to sleep!

20. Jewels profile image83

May the FSM and equals not put gravel and glass pieces on the floor.  Good luck to you both. lol

21. glendoncaba profile image74

Mark said:

"No - you are not. You are using semantics to suggest - once again - that you do indeed have authority - but I am "subjectively" choosing to ignore that authority. Now say - "Yes Mark - I agree - I have no authority over you and the bible does not give me any authority,".

Dear me dear me.  This was never about me.

You mean all along you thought I was saying that I have authority over you. 

One of the fundamental problems in the religion forum has to do with communication.  specifically the use of theological and academic jargon.

So people who claim to understand theology and religion get all hot under the collar simply by misunderstanding jargons.  Some words are used in religious discussions that have unique and specific denotations as well as powerful connotations.

Authority or power is ascribed to God as creator.  In god is greatness, power, majesty.  His absolute authority is an authority of love and peace supremely manifested iin the incarnation death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The authority of Scripture as the Written Word of God manifests all the characteristics of the authority of god.

When we discuss scriptural authority we are talking about:

1.  Bible is recognised as the Word of god which speaks to us with demands for obedience, pleas of love, promises of blessings, warnings of judgement.
    2.  Bible takes precedence over other literature, church tradition, conscience, human reason (scientific theories change so often), mystical experiences, etc.  These are all important but must be subjected to authority of scripture.

Mark you have a problem with the word authority.  I accept by faith the authority of the bible.  You dont.  why should we argue.

There is nothing evil in the message of the bible, properly understood.  The ethics of your country no doubt reflect biblical ethics.

You cant fight love.
    You cant fight justice, mercy, and love. You can ignore love.  But no one can fight love.

Join me in the fight against those who claim to recognise the authority of scripture as the revelation of God, and proceed to do 180 degrees turn against justice mercy and love.

Life is too short to misquote and misread academic jargon and waste time.  we have a legitimate cause on our hands.  Hey I might even fly to Nigeria to check it out.  Mark you are successful enugh to sponsor my trip.  I'll do photos and videos.

22. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

glendoncaba -

You constant use of semantics is out of order.

I do not believe in a god.
    The bible was not written by a god.
    Your scripture holds no authority with me.

I am not interested in your meanings of the words as opposed to the real meanings.   

Authority means:

The power to enforce laws, exact obedience, command, determine, or judge.

Your book does none of these. Perhaps it did back in the dark ages when you had an army behind you, but no more.

There is no god and I do not recognize any authority which creates situations such as this thread is discussing.

I do not see love in your use of the word "subjective," or "the people of faith who at least have some theological exposure."

I have made an objective decision based on the evidence. You have made a 100% subjective decision - an irrational one at that. And I have read and studied your book. I have come to the only rational conclusion possible after understanding it.

There is no god and anyone who believes there is, is liable to behave irrationally.

Simple. big_smile

1. glendoncaba profile image74
      glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right.  I'm allowing the tone of the debate to get the better of me.  I'm sorry. 

Forgive me.  Its a little frustrating to ttalk to you because you misinterpret what I say every time in order to attack what you presume I said. but I should be more tactful.

2. glendoncaba profile image74

I agree know you dont believe in god.
      I agree the bible was not written by a god, but by men and women inspired by God.
      I agree that you do not accept the authority of scripture, I cannot concede that scripture has no authority over you. 

That like saying love has no authority over you.  Love is life.  God is love.  Scripture is the word of God.  So the authority of God is the authority of love is the authority of scripture.

I agree that we have different views on the subject.

Can you use words of respect even though we disagree.

This is 2009, not Spanish Inquisition.

You disrespect me even as we speak.

There is no god. Therefore scripture is not the word of god. It is the word of men. Mortal men. Inspired by personal gain.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But still you insist that your scripture has authority over me. What do you not understand here? Why can you not respect me?

And then you demand respect?

Earn it.

1. ledefensetech profile image69
          ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mortal men for personal gain?  Explain Mother Theresa please.

Did she write the bible? Does she cancel out the wars and the inquisition? Did she make any real difference?

Poor attack Mr. defense technician. Very poor. Please try again.

Not really, you paint all religionists as people who are out for personal gain.  Not everyone is.  Religion makes it easy from someone to pull the wool over someone's eyes but that's hardy unique in the catalog of human endeavor.  Nice try attempting to recast the discussion. 

As for who wrote the Bible, nobody is quite sure.  At the time of the Council of Nicea, there were dozens of Gospels and dozens of copies.  The purpose of the Council was to work through it all and decide what "true" Christianity was.  Like many human endeavors, the results leave something to be desired. 

Mark, nobody can change the past, the only thing we can be responsible for is our own actions.  If you're looking for something to cancel out all the evil and horror in the world, you'll be waiting a long time.  Because it's people and the decisions they make, not what they believe that creates evil.  Too bad you can't see that.

Yes - really. You neglected one important aspect of this discussion.

Which I find odd - you have mounted some reasonably cogent arguments - but this is not one of them.

I am not looking for anything to cancel out the evil and horror. All I ask is that we try and learn from history. wink

And hopefully not repeat the same mistakes.

Too bad you can't see that.

And let's face it - most religionists (along with the politicians and banks) are in it for their own gains.

Or are you completely blind?

Again you're right, most people are in it for themselves.  Which might not be a bad thing, except when those people try to force their beliefs and way of living on others.  The problem lies in the structures we use to promote these things.  Christianity became an evil when it allied itself with the power of the State, namely the Roman Empire, later several European kingdoms.  Islam has done the same thing regarding pretty much the entire setup of the religion under religious law.  It isn't the religion, but the acceptance of force as a legitimate tool for conversion that is the true problem.  Atheism is not immune to this malady, just ask people who lived in the former Soviet Union.

Indeed it's not only religion which suffers from allying itself with the State, but also, as you've noted, banks.  That's a topic for another thread, I think.

The common denominator in all of this is force.  Belief can provide an "excuse" for behavior that the naive can accept, but it's not belief, but action that is good or evil.  That is one way in which I, personally disagree with Christian doctrine.  Thought is nowhere near as evil as action.  Oftentimes belief is used to justify that action, but it's actions that matter.

1. Misha profile image63
                    Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the main problem with this is that it is thought that cases action. You can't lift a finger without thought smile

Probably this is the point Mark is coming from. smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Well, now we are in agreement. How long did christianity live before it allied itself with the state?

It is actions that matter - and christianity has sadly lacked. I also agree that the "atheistic" communist regime did no better. So - where does that leave us? Despite claiming the moral high ground - religionists are no better than anyone else. Therefore there is no reason to suppose a god or any higher purpose.

Why can't we all just get along?

23. glendoncaba profile image74

This is the info for the Seventh-day Adventist Conference in the area.  I have sent them email with link.  I will inform this forum of any response. 

The SDA world church also operates a relief agency that i will try to get info from.  If only Mark will stop misquotiing me so I can do the real work of love.

101 Goldie/Marian Road
    Calabar, Cross River State
    Nigeria
    Mail: P.O. Box 201
    Calabar, Cross River State
    Nigeria

Phone: 234 (87) 233-103
    Email:  secsda@yahoo.co.uk

24. glendoncaba profile image74

To Mark:

By subjectively i meant you as an individual, using your God given freewill.  I did not mean anything negative.

Mark there are some of us on this planet who dont want to pick a fight every time we open our mouth. 

I still believe we are arguing about nothiing really.  I'll explain later.

25. profile image51
    pappy0707posted 14 years ago

not every thing u read about nigeria is true.

26. lawretta profile image63
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

Dont believe everything you see or read on the net. the truth is that most churches in Nigeria have found a way of getting white people to finance their church. The IN-thing now in Nigeria is churches having international sponsors. I can vividly tell you that what you saw was merely acting in order to gain foreign attention.

1. Lady_E profile image60
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats what I have eventually found out.  Its nice to read from you again.  Haven't seen you in Forums for a while. E

I'm pleased it got foreign and world attention.  The abuse of innocent children is better made public and exposed than to let it continue unnoticed.

27. lawretta profile image63
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

i have been working, really busy. thanks lady_E

28. glendoncaba profile image74

Mark said:
    "But still you insist that your scripture has authority over me. What do you not understand here? Why can you not respect me?

And then you demand respect?

Earn it"

Mark in polite discussions on is allowed to air one's belief withut it being considered disrespectful. The disrespect i speak of is the tone and brashness of language.  We can be gentler.  and I profusely apologise if my language comes across as arrogant and rude.

Here is my final olive leaf:

It is my belief and settled conviction that scripture has authority as the word of God and is therefore an authoritative source of faith and doctrine for all humanity.  It is my belief that if we all lived by the teachings of the bible we would all have heaven on earth.  But I will give my life to defend humanity's (including Mark's) right to believe otherwise.
    For central to the teachings of scripture is the free will of man. 

Now for the Nigerians out there.  Come on talk to us about whats happening on the ground.  The video is sick.  even if half true.

Well - here is my olive leaf:

There is no god
      Scripture has no authority
      If we all lived by the teachings of the bible, we would be back in the dark ages

Central to the teachings of the scripture is the idea that anyone who does not abide will be punished. Free will notwithstanding. You do not do as you are told, you will burn.

No thanks.

ciao

29. glendoncaba profile image74

Mark said:
    "If we all lived by the teachings of the bible, we would be back in the dark ages

Central to the teachings of the scripture is the idea that anyone who does not abide will be punished. Free will notwithstanding. You do not do as you are told, you will burn."

Wrong my brother.  Central to the teaching of the bible is John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in Him shoud not perish but haver everlasting life."

Central to the teaching of bible:

Love the Lord thy god with all thy heart and thy neighbour as thyself

central to teaching of bible:
    Micah 6:8   He hath showed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? 

Talking about dark ages.  They were dark because the bible was hidden from masses.  renaissance and reformation translated bible into vernacular and taught people from bible about love of god.  Not god as stern judge who waiting to burn everyone in hell.  C,mon man get out of dark ages and see the light.  Have you heard of Martin Luther the german reformer.  The Christianity you are attacking is the falsehood pre Protestant Reformation. 

Roman church mesmerised masses with lies and hid bible from them.

Ah - so I if do not believe in him - I will not have everlasting life - but anyone who does gets this? lol

Sheesh.................

Great exposition.  sort of.  because you see christians also believe that persons who never heard of Jesus but live right according to their culture will also have everlasting life - because of the grace of Jesus.  "In times of ignorance God winked at." 

Once you are no longer ignorant and you have become informed and convinced of gospel then the biblical logic is : "now command all men everywhere to repent." 

So you see we are not as narrowminded as you thought.

Go on then.  The next two texts?  React to them too.  Honestly?  Fairly?  Get that dark ages thesis out of your system.  go on now.  the next two texts?

Mark I am surprised that a professor of Hubmarketing and successful businessman like you spend so much time bullyiing people of faith by plucking a sentence here and there.  I challenge you to give me a coherent negative response to the next two texts I proposed were the central core of bible. Dont just try to bully me, just thoughtfully read and answer me.

Hint:  fill in the blank:  glendon no reasonable person could have a problem with those two texts because ____________________________________________________

30. earnestshub profile image79

glendoncaba, more time considering the plight of the children this post thread is about rather than it being all about you might be a more convincing stance.

earnest we got that one going long time.

where were you. 
      go back and read posts you missed.

I even suggested a name for our hubpages charitable response:  Hubpages Shepherds.

I even emailed a conference over in Nigeria and will keep going on that.  the movement I belong to is worldwide and I have started by emailing the administrative office in that area.  I even posted their address here so anyone could contact them especially in Nigeria. 

(Can yoou imagine I asked Mark to sponsor me a flight there, of course he ignored it, or maybe just planning the itinerary for me so that I have to pass through Gaza strip or Somalia on way there). 

this is not about me.  Just trying to tie up some loose ends with Mark.

If you care to look back at all input, not just your own, you will see that others have also been looking for ways to help without feeling the need to defend some doctrine.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Let me get this straight:

You want to fly to Nigeria to teach these people that what they are doing is wrong because they have been taken under the spell of the evil demon Satan, who was cast out of heaven by the Great White Father.

This same Great White Father then sent His only Son down to earth to die nailed to a piece of wood to save us from our sins and prevent us from being burned for all eternity in a lake of fire.

And if they symbolically accept this son as their true savior they will be fine. If not in this life, then in the next - where they will live for all eternity if they just fight against evil, combat unbelievers and cast out the demons who inhabit the bad people - who are not really witches, they have just been duped by the evil demon. They can, depending on which cult you belong to - eat his flesh and drink His blood regularly to ensure they go to heaven instead of hell - where the unbelievers are going.

And you do not see where this could go horribly wrong?

Oh - wait a minute......... wink

31. glendoncaba profile image74

earnest

We are all part of the solution.  Just that once we decided to out the fire we threw our few buckets of water and quickly returned to argument as to whose fire truck had the biggest engine.

You do have a point at the objective level, all this mutual cerebral stimulation in the forum is of very little use unless it motivates us to go out there and put love in action...and write a couple hundred hubs while we are at it.

So for me this is good bye for a very very long time.

You will hear from me if and when I have solid data on the Nigerian situation. 

Meanwhile...pray for kids; agitate and advocate and lobby against situation in Nigeria; and tell the atheists that we love them (the atheists) for we are all children of one God.

Well said glendoncaba. I look forward to seeing you here on hubpages often.

2. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very well put.
      This is why I very rarely visit these forums. Everything turns into a contest which basically boils down to arguments about whose god can piss furthest up the wall.

I respect your views Glendon. If all men of god were like you, the world would be different.

That would be a shame.

I'm out of here too. The original subject has been totally swamped. I'll do my bit to try and help this cause, and I hope that others do likewise.

cheers, and thanks to everyone who responded to this awful situation.
      Regards,
      Eric G.

32. PerfumeFan profile image61
    PerfumeFanposted 14 years ago

I checked out the links... poor kids! Those people are sick! Jesus.

33. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

This message clearly needed to be told Eric.  This is truly disgusting that someone calling themselves a Christian preacher can call children witches, have them persecuted and their parents go along with it.

This is even more disgusting than the pedophile priests and Catholic bishops that shuffled them around.  Neither are Christian.  And I am saying that as a Catholic.  Let's face it, they were Catholic kids.  Sometimes I wonder whether Adam Weishaupt's plan from the 1700s to infiltrate the Church has happened.  I blame the bishops more than anyone for shuffling the priests around.  At least the Catholic Church is being forced to be accountable and compensate the victims.

With these so called preachers in Nigeria being loosely affiliated with the Pentecostals how can we see some accountability and help these children? 

1. Well Eric posted this link in another thread to try to get us back on this topic.  We can donate to this charity to help the victims of this crime.
    http://www.steppingstonesnigeria.org/supportus

2. Mrs. Helen Ukpabio, the evangelist preacher that started the Liberty Gospel Church and is spreading these atrocities throughout Africa has a web site.  There is a contact link on her web site.  We can send Helen Ukpabio an e-mail stating our disgust in what she is doing.
    http://helen-ukpabio.com/

3. In one of the links that Eric posted in his original post it said that Helen Ukpabio's "ministry" stems from the US and Scottish Pentecostals.  Whether Pentecostals are loosely affiliated or not should Pentecostals in the US and Scotland be partly accountable?

What do you say?

Now I'll go back to page 24 to try to wade through all the off topic posts.

Mike

Edit after reading page 25.

4. Eric has asked that Hub Pages set up a fund raising page.

34. Make  Money profile image66

Both accofranco and fierycj, who are from Nigeria do not believe these news reports about children being persecuted as witches in Nigeria.  And these two posts are from page 27 of this thread.

It would be nice to hear some more from accofranco, fierycj, pappy0707 and lawretta on this.  What did you find out Lady_E?

35. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Hey Mike.

Stepping stones is based in my hometown, and I went to school with the founder, although he is a few years younger. I did not know him that well, but he seems to be a nice guy

http://www.lrgs.org.uk/news/bafta-award … pupil.html

Lancaster held some of the most notorious witch-trials in UK history, so the charity has found a lot of local support. All above board, by the looks of things smile

36. Make  Money profile image66

Okay thanks Sufi.

37. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

Crazy

No.  Just honest.  Tell the truth and you never have to remember what you say.smile

Truth is we need people now who can verify the allegations on this thread.  People not connected to the charities or to the churches involved.

1. Lady_E profile image60
        Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True.

38. earnestshub profile image79

Has there been more reported on this yet? Was there any confirmation of the events, or denials from the church involved? I will take a look now, but if you can find out what the locals believed happened that would be great.

39. earnestshub profile image79

I found this . Following the airing of the Dispatched documentary, The Akwa Ibom State enacted the Child
    Rights Act making it illegal to brand a child a witch. On its website the Akwa Ibom State
    Government states that it “will not fold its hands and watch evil elements of society
    dehumanise, demoralise, bastardise, displace, stigmatise, or persecute our children for personal
    gains.” The Government then states how it will:
    • Place full legislative machinery against labelling of children as witches

This and more here http://maheba.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/ … %E2%80%99/

40. Make  Money profile image66

This doesn't seem to be getting any better yet.

These are quotes from this page on the Child Rights Information Network (CRIN) web site.
    http://www.crin.org/resources/infodetail.asp?id=20503

MM, I am so sad for these children.Thank you for your update, it will be appreciated by all who are concerned with following this story

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)