What is your standard for belief in a miracle?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (104 posts)
  1. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 13 years ago

The Scottish philosopher David Hume turned religion on its head with this reasoned and well-expressed thought on the miraculous:

"That no testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact, which it endeavours to establish....
    When anyone tells me, that he saw a dead man restored to life, I immediately consider with myself, whether it be more probable, that this person should either deceive or be deceived, or that the fact, which he relates, should really have happened. I weigh the one miracle against the other; and according to the superiority, which I discover, I pronounce my decision, and always reject the greater miracle."

Hume used both natural laws and human experience as his guage for miracles, noting that iron does not float in midair, that wood burns, and that no one has seen a truly dead man arise from his grave and live again.

I side with Hume.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AKA:
      "What is your standard for belief in a miracle?"

ZILCH!

Qwark   smile:

2. the pink umbrella profile image75
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its a meracle that you have yet to be attacked by....well you know who. smile

3. pennyofheaven profile image78
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think watching someone or something bring new life into this world is miraculous. Does that count?

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suppose there are so many degrees defining what a miracle is when in fact it is something good that happens that is unexplainable for the most part

I never think of miracles, just life and give gratitude for gifts undeserving.  Then flip the finger when me dad dies RIP sorry.

5. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Grow me a new leg jesus and I’ll spread the word fer ya, and even begin capitalizing your name. Incidentally, I have no need for another leg, but you might grow one for someone else.

1. profile image0
        AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a hubber who claims he has been the cause of 12 miracles, including his best of dividing traffic on Wilshire Blvd during rush hour.  I made the same bet with him: re-grow and amputee's limb.

We are still waiting.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Someone once said: Believe in miracles, but don't rely on them.

1. profile image0

That was probably Uri Geller.  :-))

3. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I've always heard if an atheist says it's impossible there's a slight chance it could be  a miracle. But be suspicious of they agree. They're quite possibly laughing at you behind your back.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter whether an atheist states either way, if the alleged miracle clearly defies physical laws, it is this concept which should be the core of the discussion and not the imagined or contrived weight of the claim itself. smile

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know. Sorry, that was obviously a lame attempt at a joke. I'll endeavor to come up with something clever next time.

2. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

physical laws can be interrupted by the one who made the laws. Physical laws are not really laws but occurrences. For anyone to say that physical laws are more powerful than God (the one who set it all up) is really talking imagined or contrived nonsense.

4. melpor profile image89
    melporposted 13 years ago

If everyone  who are suffering from the same illness, the same sickness, or the same physical ailments and all these sufferers were cured at the same time then I will call it a miracle. Just seeing something happening once for one person  out of more than 6 billion people is not a miracle to me.

5. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Hey aka, a miracle doesn't have to be  something as amazing as someone rising from the dead. It can simply be an event that could only have occurred through divine interaction and cannot be explained by any other means.

1. profile image0

@ just_curious,

(a miracle doesn't have to be  something as amazing as someone rising from the dead. It can simply be an event that could only have occurred through divine interaction and cannot be explained by any other means)

You mean like someone rising from the dead?

1. profile image0

Of course, but that is one example. I just got the impression that you were implying it would have to be something verifiable by every person, every where. Some miracles are small enough they can only be truly verified by the one person they happened to. Can't prove them to the world, but you can't deny they exist anymore; at least, unfortunately, to yourself.

1. profile image0

(Some miracles are small enough they can only be truly verified by the one person they happened to.)

So in this sense you would consider it a miracle that the neighbor's dog talked to the Son of Sam?  See, I would call that B.S.

1. profile image0

absolutely ... dogs do not talk ... and it would be useless of god to make a dog talk as that would be unbelievable to many and laughable to most. Son of sam was clearly a lunatic and a liar. Not a good source for credible info at all.
            Of course miracles ... only occur when God is actually in the picture and the miracle of course cannot take away from a persons faith.. for instance if one were to actually rise from the dead when the name of jesus was presented,, then bam there goes faith.
            Faith is the substance of things NOT seen and never shall we see things that destroy our faith. Therefore actual miracles are done behind the scenes and not abruptly before our eyes. I know of people whose cancer has been miraculously erased in a fortnight. this is a miracle but not one so obvious that it cannot be an abolisher of faith.

1. profile image0

(absolutely ... dogs do not talk ... and it would be useless of god to make a dog talk)

Then I guess that means the story about Mohammed flying to heaven on a horse is nonsense, too, but the burning bush that talked was real?

1. profile image0

burning bush that talked comes from a time of signs and wonders which is over so yes that is real, just like the rest of the signs and wonders, parting of the sea, pillar of fire and cloud during the daytime. balaams donkey appeared to have talked (just to add that) Signs and wonders is what any God would do to prove himself to humans. When God persuaded moses to go to the pharaoh he made two signs to moses, his lepered arm and the rod to a snake, convincing? yep.
                But under the new dispensation or covenant or deal with God there are not signs and wonders that (old) way again.
                Mohammed never flew on a horse, this i believe wholeheartedly.

1. profile image0

An oddity about belief systems is that we can easily pick out the irrationalities in competing belief systems but cannot turn that strong searchlight on our own beliefs and examine them in the same light.

Mohammed didn't fly on a horse - but a burning bush talked. 
                  The disctinction between these two claims is belief, and if we believe either claim we have to rationalize the irrational in order to legitimize that belief to ourselves. 

Hence, the "it was the best of signs and wonders times, it was the worst of signs and wonders times" explanation justifies that humans can turn into salt and bushes can burn and talk.

Of course, we are all capable of believing irrational ideas, so I am not trying to pick on brotheryochanan.  But I do find it curious that we find it easy to pick out competing delusions for disbelief but find it nearly impossible to penetrate our own delusions.

1. profile image0

The key here is sticking to one source. If we believe both the quran and the bible we find conflicting ideas between the two. I am strictly bible based therefore the quran contradicts bible. My reasons for bible belief are well founded and solid. Timeline for one, which came first? Did God ever dictate his belief system via angel.. the mormons think so, but the bible says no.

One cannot combine all sources of Godiality. The bible again confirms this. All roads do not lead to God otherwise the sacrifice of His Son would not have been necessary or the strict preaching and teaching of the torah by God himself and neither could God say his children were wrong to sacrifice to other false Gods and neither could God say "there is only one God and none other.

Proof of belief is numerous. Since no one in the bible ever flew on a horse or was taken up to heaven, the bible once again supports both claims, the bible must be believed. Jesus said John 3:13 "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven". Another endorsement that Jesus was God in the flesh and that heaven is not for people. Hebrews states:
                    Hebrews 11:5   By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God".
                    and continues this thought:
                    Hebrews 11:13 "These all died in faith,.." and enoch is among the list.

The instance of the burning bush, it was not the bush that talked but God who spoke, the bush was a sign of His power and dominion. Balaams donkey loosed (means slackened, agape) its a ventriloquist act. God spoke. The thunderings and quakings at mt sinai were God not the mountain.
                    Thanks for not pickin on me. smile i hope you see the same of me toward you

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
              DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why couldn't a god make a dog talk? A Snake talked in the Bible, So did a Donkey, A Burning Bush, Voice from Clouds. And as every christian I have ever talked to says..."With god all things are possible"...

2. profile image0

Oh, I get your stand. Anyone that has witnessed a miracle is crazy. OK. That is pretty easy to follow.. Out of curiosity, why did you ask the question? It seems anyone wit such a rigid stand would consider any conversation on the subject pointless.

1. profile image0

(Out of curiosity, why did you ask the question?)

For the same reason I write - to get people to use their brains and think about what they believe.  Is it a reasonable belief?

I wasn't being smartass about the Son of Sam and the dog - I was just pointing out that your reasoning, if followed about small miracles, would have to include that type of action, as well.  So it is really a subjective belief, based on a decision about which action is miraculous and which isn't.

And that was Hume's point - that it is more likely a person has been fooled, has misinterpreted what occured, has lied, etc., than natural law has been violated. 

Here is the bottom line: Believers believe.  For example, one who believes there are such things as ghosts, demons, spirits, and miracles is much more likely to offer such as an explanation and to accept such explanations when they are offered.

1. profile image0

Darn you aka. I was sure you  were going to come from a less reasonable angle. I was looking for fun. I agree. Yet I would disagree on the talking dog point. The more reasonable explanation is mental illness. I do still believe the jury is out on Mr Ed.

2. profile image0

was not the splitting of the atom an breaking of the physical laws? and did that destroy the earth? or did it continue all around the earth? NO
                the nature and natural laws just allowed for it, did their thing concerning it and viola! nature became an accommodating hostess to the event just as it will or would to any miracle.
                The human mind can indeed conjure up some grand delusions and it often sees what it want to sees. The person alone on a dark path can hear noises that arent there and imagine things in shadows. People who go to psychics to hear from their dead relatives often are quite eager to hear from the psychic what they want or need to hear that they help the psychic with thier cold or hot reading and hence persuade themselves. Near death experiences are in most probability, neuro synapsis frantically trying to reconnect to demising parts and endocrines and endorphines and stimulus struggling to survive thus coupled with the ever popular white light at the end of a tunnel story, which is what a person dying sees. There is much deception in the world but only one God who is separate from many claimed supernatural events in the way that He did not create them.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Not at all, it aligned with the physical laws. No miracles there. Just science.

Don't see how your god is separate from any other supernatural myth. smile

1. profile image0

how can u say that splitting something that never before was split or that should not have been split or that man caused to be split is in alignment with physical laws... where are other examples of atoms being split in nature please. I perceive the splitting of an atom as an undoing or reverse mechanics of a natural procedure not in alignment at all.

my point was that in the super natural event nature became perfect hostess to the event as it would be also a perfect host to an angel appearing or christ appearing in the center of a room while all the doors were locked as He did in acts.

Please try to back up what you say, your short, one liners are boring.

Life and living is a miraculous event.

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I don't necessarily believe in them, but that mountain climber in Scotland who just fell 1000 feet and was found standing at the bottom of the mountain reading his map would qualify it for me. No broken bones at all, just scuffed up and with a sore chest. Awesome! umm, but then maybe it was only luck?

1. profile image0

@ ralwus,

Maybe the story is just bulls#$&.

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hah, mebbe so, but look it up. Was on the news. Conspiracy afoot?
        Never mind, here is a link to it:
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 … shot/20907

1. profile image0

@ ralwus,

You are offering an excellent example of Hume's point - what is more likely.  It shows that belief is subjective - in other words, belief is based on an individual's opinion and is often wrong.

Intelligent people will cling to comforting unreasonable beliefs because there is little-to-no harm in doing so.  There is really no negative consequence for believing this story to be an example of an intervention of a superbeing - as long as you don't act on the belief - like throwing yourself off a ten-story building as an act of faith - or flying a hijacked airliner into the side of an occupied building.

2. profile image0

ralwus, et al,

Btw,

In 1969 a columnist at a tiny newspaper wrote an account, based on what turned out to be simply urban legend, about NASA scientists using NASA computers to discover a "missing day", just like the bible states.

This one little column in a tiny newspaper went ballistic, and was reprinted all over the world in newspapers, magazines, and books, without anyone doing any real fact-checking on the original story.

This story even now will show up on occasion on the internet or in an e-mail chain letter.

And it is 100% bogus - entirely made up. 

And the fact that this one tiny article could fool an entire world into printing it  is pretty miraculous, all right, but being some of the people who are fooled some of the time doesn't do much to add credibility to the editorial staffs who promulgated this particular myth.

Again, believers believe - and are quick to pass on incredible stories that justify their belief.

For example, look at brotheryochanan, probably a nice enough guy if you knew him personally, but also someone of strong beliefs, and he said this:
          "I know of people whose cancer has been miraculously erased in a fortnight..."

Notice he is passing on his belief as if it were fact.  There is no objective method to verify any causitive relationship between faith and healing - it is all opinion, subjective.  What is spontaneous remission to me is miracle to brotheryochan.  The difference is that he seems to need an agent to explain a mechanism for oddities whereas I do not - I simply accept it as an oddity of biology that happens now and again, with or without prayer or faith. 

So the reality of his statement is this: I (believe) people have had cancer erased, and I (believe) this is the work of a supreme being.

Believers believe.  But belief in a belief does not make that belief reality.

2. profile image0
      jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no winston. i think ralwus is right. that was indeed a miracle,
      just like a person sliped on the road and died....miracle

1. profile image0

Interesting.  Your offer a negation (no winston) and validate it with nothing but opinion (i think).

It would have been quicker and killed fewer pixels to simply say I believe in miracles.

1. profile image0
          jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you have mistaken me.
          i was just saying if somebody surviving from a fall from a great height is a miracle, somebody not surviving from a small fall is also a miracle. but you won't find many takers for it, will you, for that won't support the god theory.
          i don't believe in any such nonsenses and was trying to be sarcastic, but seeing your response, i think, i failed.

1. profile image0

oops, my bad

7. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

The great thing about belief is it remains mailable and can change if new data is found.Knowing is a whole nother thing.When one Knows one closes the door to change.Miracles do not exist in my opinion.They are phenomenon beyond our ability to understand at this point in our development.No one knows the abilities of the human brain when 100%is engaged and focused.Common objects we use daily would be miraculous to folks in the past.We understand them so they have no divinity to us.I recently read a hub about"Cargo cults"that is a great example of our need for supernatural events and beings[My sincere apology to the writer of that hub.I don't recall their name].

1. profile image0

(The great thing about belief is it remains mailable)

Even more important than mailable beliefs is malleable spelling.  :-))
      Otherwise the beliefs I Federal Expressed to my cousin last week won't get there until they are no longer gnu, ya' no?

1. cheaptrick profile image74
        cheaptrickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sarcasm is not appropriate here.It is nothing more than the reflection of a limited mind.You zero in on spelling because because you do not understand.So attack and ridicule all you like.It's amusing in a childish sort of way.I suggest you try breaking the barrier you have thrown up and get an education.It really is worth it...I promise young man

1. profile image0

cheaptrick,

Sorry, but I thought you would get the joke and take it for the compliment it was meant to be - compliment in the sense that I was certain you would be mature and sensible enough to be able to laugh at yourself without taking yourself and a silly mistake so seriously.

Guess I was wrong, there.

We all make silly spelling and typing errors - and I head the list - and from your  levelheaded comments I was confident you would laugh along with me at a tongue-in-cheek poke at human foibles.

Guess I'll know better next time.  Ce la vie.

1. cheaptrick profile image74
            cheaptrickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"It's been my observation the when people are being funny,there deadly serious...and when there being serious,it's usually funny"  Jim Morison
            I have no problem laughing at my self.My humor hubs attest to that.When you reply to a serious post with humorous reply you are discounting the person who wrote it.The implied message here is this guy can't even spell so why give his words credibility.It's entirely possible that I am wrong here so I leave it to our fellow hubbers to decide for them selves.If the consensus is that I am,I will publicly apologise.So Y'all,It's up to you.I bow to the opinion of Y'all.

1. profile image0

cheaptrick,

I don't care for an American Idol-type vote that proves nothing but biases.  And I don't want a public apology.

I was simply doing what I do - exercising my own sense of humor. to amuse myself and you got in the way - no harm intended.  If I had made the same mistake in writing myself, I would be just as likely later, if I noticed the eror, to casitgate myself in the same way.  It is the humor, not the target, that interests me.

The joke was meant as a play on words, not an insult.  I can do no more than explain.  You either will or will not accept my explanation.  I can't force your hand.

However, I could Federal Express an apology to you if that would help.  (That's a joke.  Lighten up.)

2. qwark profile image59

AKA:
        Hahahaha..
        Loved it!   smile:
        Qwark

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you told people that lived 100 years ago that everyone would have phones with no wires, they'd think it was witchcraft, or a miracle, or something else supernatural

1. profile image0

or they might think it to be science. I recall seeing pictures of flying cars and jet packs when i was a child. I did not think witchcraft.

Clearly you have designed this message to depict a self styled conclusion which i believe is false.

Funny how the brain receives 4 million bits of information per second and can only decode aroun 20000 bits. Perhaps the geniuses of old and new are using a tad bit more. Thats kind of miraculous.

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Sometimes, when it seems like there's little reason in continuing to hope; or when it seems like there no reason to have much hope; or when it looks like there's very little hope; something will happen that turns things around.

That "something" could be something that has an easily explained cause, or it could be caused by something that has a scientific explanation that nobody can yet see, or it could simply not be something that has an explanation.

Sometimes, too, there are things that go on (often in Nature) that are just so hard to "get our minds around" they can seem like nothing short of miraculous.  Maybe sometimes, if it feels like a miracle then it IS a miracle.  Newborn babies come to mind.

These are my standards for "miracle", and the first kind is the kind of miracles for which so many people in dire situations so often hope.  They're also the kind of miracles that actually do occur, and far more often than a lot of people would ever imagine.

Most of us know the being in a situation when there's little left to do but hope for a miracle is an awful place to be, but that hoping (or praying) for a miracle is sometimes all we can do.  Most of us (at least those who've lived a little while) have seen how, sometimes, miracles do seem to happen.  That makes hoping for one still having reason for hope.  Sometimes, hope and strength are, in themselves, a form of miracle.

9. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

“Miracles are not seen in Islam as unnatural occurrences, but as natural phenomena that are concealed from human knowledge at that period of time. Otherwise, there would be many questions raised against the wisdom of God. If God created the laws of nature Himself, He should have made some provisions whereby without breaking them, He could bring about desired solutions to a problem.”
    http://www.alislam.org/library/books/ch … ter_1.html

10. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I'm curious Winston, what would your conclusion be, if you applied this rule to the original advent of life, on Earth?

Which is the greater miracle, that a "supernatural being (God)" created it by using excellent power wisdom and knowledge, OR that it happened by accident from "dead, inanimate" matter?

Then, discard the greater miracle.

I know which I'd choose, and still be true to this principle. big_smile

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

miracle one: A supernatural being (God), existing in a separate universe from ours and using different natural laws, created our universe because he wanted new servants.

Miracle two: the forces of nature operated to create our universe from unliving matter and energy.

Yes, I know which one I would use and which I would discard.

1. aka-dj profile image64
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, so you agree with me, then? GOOD.

2. profile image0

Although we cannot reproduce abiogenesis, we do know that existence exists and that natural phenomenon exist.  We have zero evidence of any god or gods.

By this comparison alone, reason selects door #1: it has to have occured naturally and the odds were 100% because here we are.

Both scenarios require faith, for them to be accepted.
        Welcome to the real world. big_smile

1. profile image0

(Both scenarios require faith, for them to be accepted.)

aka-dj

No, they don't.   

One is based on extrapolation of the known.  It is based on reason.
          The other is a belief that Santa Claus brings presents.  It is based on hope.

If you don't understand that belief in any god is no different than belief in Santa Claus I really feel for you - you have to be intellectually challenged or in dire psychological need of belief to claim otherwise.

It requires no faith to understand that the airplane crashing into the World Trade Center at 500 mph will cause death and massage damage.

To think that flying the plane will get you to heaven and 72 virgins is religious belief.

They are not equal.

Oh, I see.

You think I'm a Muslim.

Where did you get that idea?

1. profile image0

Wow. I'm impressed with you. That was pretty condescending and you responded with grace. I guess you have experience dealing with legends in their own minds. I want to be like you when I grow up.

2. profile image0

(You think I'm a Muslim)

aka-dj,

What does that have to do with anything in my response?  Are you punching at me with a strawman?  Try again.

Nature is fact.
              God is faith.

Fact and faith are not equals  And that you can believe.

It has everything to do with it.
                Virgins in heaven is a Muslim teaching. There is no straw man.

Nature is fact. (yes it is. it's beginning/creation is NOT. It's a faith position either way!)
                God is faith. (yes it is. Just because you choose to dismiss this, it doesn't make it so)

So you are correct, but you are also incorrect.
                Whatever your (or anyone else"s hypothesis/theory), it HAS to be accepted by faith. No FACTS are established. They're are merely supposed. Mere conjectures.

We, sir, are ALL creatures of faith. It's the object of faith that differs!

1. profile image0

aka-dj,

This isn't that hard to understand.  Any naturalistic explanation automatically has a higher degree of probability than a supernatural explanation because we know that nature exists.

When you come out of the store to find a new dent in your car you don't think, God is pissed at me.  No, you think some jerk backed into you and pulled off. 

The difference isn't faith - it is reason.

1. profile image0

Since the people who wandered in the wilderness were protected of God.
                    Deuteronomy 29:5   And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot.

One might consider that the dent in the car is a test to gauge a reaction

Otherwise, the dent would not have occurred. This may not be an accurate example but i challenge you to stretch your imagination beyond your limitations and digest this for yourself.

2. aka-dj profile image64

I hear ya.  BUT, we are NOT talking about a dent in my car.

When was the last time you experienced anything inanimate come to life?

I venture to say NEVER

I always refer to something appearing out of nothing as a miracle (creation).
                    And, life NEVER..did you read that?. NEVER. Life NEVER comes from NON-life.
                    You can evolutionize it anyway you want. It aint possible.

I have been fishing for over 50yrs, and have not once seen, or caught a fish that had legs instead of fins. They all died out of the water. NOT ONE grew lungs. I have never seen a chicken breed  and produce a duck.

11. Midianite profile image60
    Midianiteposted 13 years ago

There's no such thing as a miracle : )

12. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

"Hume used both natural laws and human experience as his guage for miracles, noting that iron does not float in midair, that wood burns, and that no one has seen a truly dead man arise from his grave and live again".

Natural laws... God placed all nature under rules. Not laws. Man calls them laws but really they are just rules or guidelines. God is able to change the rules if and when he wants.

Human experience... did not decide to circle jericho 7xs then yell and blow trumpets at the walls to destroy them, human experience did not part seas or any of the other miracles in the BIBLE. Human experience is unable to discern spiritual things because it is limited to its carnality and finite mental thinking.

Iron in the bible floated to the top of water
    A bush burnt but did not consume itself
    People have been raised from the dead (lazarus for ONE) and in the end we are all resurrected for judgement into eternal life or damnation.

So how you expected Hume to be comparable to BIBLE is beyond me, least of all a standard for miracles. Hume was unable to identify with miracles because He was not able to allow for them by his own carnality and limited thinking.
       Hume fails and so therefore do his followers. Find another god to put on your pedestal, who doesn't contradict the bible. smile

1. profile image0

(Iron in the bible floated to the top of water
      A bush burnt but did not consume itself
      People have been raised from the dead (lazarus for ONE)

brotheryochanan,

So you admit that the bible has nothing to do with reality.  Good for you!  You are making some progress.

1. profile image0

like i say, when you get off the ropes feel free to actually say something.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

LOL! Essentially, the argument resorts to the usual, "god did it" and we all fail because of our limited thinking in that regard.

Brilliant argument.

lol

1. profile image0

and you are limited. You follow the doctrines of man and adopt his limited thinking.
        You are bound and limited to what you see, hear and touch and a few theories of some carnal scientists.

This is the wrong ammo to bring into a christian conversation. Since christians are not limited by natural law or the things of this world - including especially the doctrines and theories of limited man... you will always discover that God has done and rebuked all the things that limited man can think of or see or touch. God has gone beyond natural laws and God lives beyond all that limited man can imagine.

Brilliant management

1. profile image0

(christians are not limited by natural law or the things of this world)

Don't kid yourself. 

Everyone is limited by natural laws - the only thing different about Christians are their delusions.  When Christians jump off 10-story buildings, they splat just as loud as anyone else.   

At some point protestations of faith cross the line into nutcase moronicity, and when you start claiming Christians can fly I'd say you're about two hours north of the Mason-Dixon line.

1. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i'd consider it a miracle if christchurch, NZ was suddenly put together and all those killed in the earthquake came back to life & health.  Ain't gonna happen

1. profile image0

thatll teach em to outlaw kosher LOL

1. profile image0

Has your delusion led you into such a twisted and perverse insanity that you find human tragedy amusing?  Your God is a delusion, Bubba, as real as the demon I unleashed in your closet just a minute ago.  Don't worry about that rattle you hear - it will die down - eventually - probably just a rat.  And all beds shake a little - at first.  Nothing to fret about.

2. profile image0

and your wanting to see something like this is dangerously close to maniacal. I will agree that everyone is governed by physical rules but we are talking about the power of God and that is not limited. Silver and gold have i none but such as i have i give thee.. rise up and walk.. acts 4.

Your limitations are exactly just that, limitations.

Perhaps you did not like to include that a christian may survive an accidental fall and an unsaved man may not. Perhaps God would not even have the christian near the fall point at all, but the unsaved guy thought what a nice
            v
            i
            e
            w
            splat!
            so limited in thinking; there are endless possibilities to God protective power and i believe that shoe makers were not a productive trade in the wilderness smile

1. profile image0

Children also have endless possibilities of the imagination, and I did, too, when I was a child.

But when I became a man, I put away childish things.

13. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

What is your standard for belief in a miracle?

“Miracles are not seen in Islam as unnatural occurrences, but as natural phenomena that are concealed from human knowledge at that period of time. Otherwise, there would be many questions raised against the wisdom of God. If God created the laws of nature Himself, He should have made some provisions whereby without breaking them, He could bring about desired solutions to a problem.”

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/ch … ter_1.html

14. Micky Dee profile image69
    Micky Deeposted 13 years ago

Having no waiting line at the Department of Transportation. An honest politician. An honest lawyer. An honest voter. Having a slice of toast with butter and jam fall face up onto the floor. A friendly divorce.

1. qwark profile image59

Yeh Mickey Dee!
      Those'd be real miracles!
      2 thumbs up!  smile:
      Qwark

15. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

To me a miracle is something so profound and so utterly life changing, that you don't feel the need to prove to anyone else that it happened by Divine consequence. You're simply happy that it happened to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)