Google Update rolled out yesterday

Jump to Last Post 51-91 of 91 discussions (443 posts)
  1. Tony Flanigan profile image60
    Tony Flaniganposted 12 years ago

My honest opinion? storm in a tea-cup. The one constant, over the years, with ALL Google's updates has been the provision of sound original content. If you provide sound original content you will be okay.

Search results will, and do, fluctuate, that is a fact of cyber-life. Instead of beefing about your site that has disappeared, go write a sound original article or two and post them. It's far more constructive, and less likely to induce a coronary.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where did you get the stats indicating those producing "sound original" content will be okay?  And define "okay" in the context of online writing? roll

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

Tony Flaniganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

um? 4 year old websites that regularly get extra relevant content (that is original), and continues to rank well for several search phrases. Odd little hiccups do occur, but the sites generally bounce back, somewhat better than before.

When viewing your website stats, you are making a grave mistake by comparing traffic on a day to day basis. Look at your traffic over a period of time - such as a month, and then compare the month with the month preceding, and the same month for the previous year.

If you then find that your traffic has gone down, look over your site content. When looking over your content, bear in mind that Unca Google is looking for "fresh" content, so, ask yourself "Is this content as relevant now as it was 3 years ago?"

Please understand that I have no wish to upset you, as you already seem a bit upset, I am merely trying to point out one of the basic points every website owner should be aware of: provide fresh, relevant, sound, original content. Oops, I didn't mention fresh and relevant earlier - my bad.

The Google Rating Guidelines (2011 version) states: "Good search engines give results that are helpful for users in their specific language and location". That is on page 6 of the guidelines, just above this is the scale the raters use to "weight" a pages "usefulness".

The results of the Ratings are what the Google algos are based on.

I am not upset, Tony. But when an article of mine on another site draws many more views than one here which has much more in depth information, and even more explanatory photos, not to mention many compliments for being the best info on the net for a particular subject, it tends to make me wonder.  smile

Tony Flaniganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ah! okay - I see your point. Apologies, I haven't read every submission to this thread. The question I would ask myself in such a situation is whether or not the other site was as badly slammed by last years panda update, when HubPages generally took a nose-dive, from which it is still trying to recover fully.

Quite frankly, when I'm looking for info I start with Google, then go to Wikipedia, and if those fail, I come scrounging around on HubPages. There is an enormous amount of untapped info here, that is just not getting found on ANY of the search engines.

I really don't think the "fault" is yours. Google developed a problem with HubPages last year, and it will be a while before HubPages can regain it's good standing with Unca Google.

I cannot see that happening soon, as even though there is a wealth of good fresh sound and relevant content here, there is also a toilet load of junk - until Hubpages can find a way to eliminate the obviously spun, over spammy, and blatant commercial (read self-serving) content, Google will penalise HubPages.

Disclaimer: smile This is my opinion only.

Your are correct in you assessment of HP, Tony.  They allowed some horrible articles to be published here, many of them spammy and misleading.  Those of us who endeavored to publish well researched and concise hubs were punished along with those who didn't.

This one reason I cannot put much faith in the new changes we've been experiencing lately.  This and the latest contest fiasco does nothing to inspire faith in TPTB, but this is merely my opinion, as always.  smile

No problem with your assessment, however.  No one else appears to be anymore knowledgeable about what is going on than you or I.  Guessing seems to be the best we can do at this time.  smile

2. Tony Flanigan profile image60
    Tony Flaniganposted 12 years ago

Yep. You're right, I have no idea of what's happening, but I have found that on our own sites (we have about 20 or so), as long as we stick with the basics we don't get slammed. Unfortunately we cannot dictate policy on a site we don't own, so, we just have to take it on the jaw.

Fortunately for me I only really use HubPages as a reference source, and a repository for any writing that doesn't fit any of our sites. I imagine I would also be pretty annoyed if this were one of my prime sources of income.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think some hubbers stand to lose tens or even hundreds of dollars per month, Tony, if these changes stick, so it's not unreasonable to be upset.

One gets the sense that this is as much about Google seeing HubPages as a rival to its products such as Blogger, with the poor writer being caught in the crossfire.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But Paul, you're missing the fact that this "attack" hasn't affected all Hubbers.  In fact, my traffic (which has been missing since before Christmas) has come roaring back.   Lrohner has had exactly the same experience.  Greekgeek says her traffic hasn't changed.   

If HubPages was the target, we would all be experiencing a drop.  And we're not.

PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I know Paul E says the update on the 19th (which hit me) was negative for HP, but the main Penguin was neutral overall.  Quantcast shows that too.

My Blogger and Squidoo are stable as always.  Just the HP account that's erratic, as usual when these updates happen.

Irohner's put up a great Quantcast graph that illustrates the longterm problems of HP further down the page.  I think my comment about Google pulling HP down should be taken within the context of that gradual decline.

3. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 12 years ago

I just don't get what's going on and why. No rhyme or reason to it.

PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm still hoping for a quick recovery.  Whether that will materialize is anyone's guess!  :-)

When my traffic took a sudden drop a while back someone gave me a bit of advice.  They said "as long as you create quality original content you should be fine.  Those losing traffic can only blame themselves and HP will be better off after everything settles down a bit".  I cannot remember who it was, though.smile

Original content should never be a measure in my opinion.  If someone can write and explain something better than what exists currently, they should be given due credit.  (I'm not condoning plagiarism or duplication, but I am saying that some articles are so badly written, they deserve to be knocked off their perch by superior quality articles that tackle the same topic.)

Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There you go then, Paul!  Start writing "superior quality articles" and everything will be just peachy!  smile

'Start writing "superior quality articles"'

Are you implying that my articles are currently of inferior quality, Randy?

(Just kidding)

No more than you did concerning mine and Izzy's accounts a while back, Paul.  tongue

I actually suggested that you may have problems with too many keywords on some hubs that you have failed to identify, Randy.  That may still be the case and the source of your problems, for all I know. 

This might be a problem with some of my hubs too of course.  I will wait a while and then start looking to see if I need to fix anything, taking into account any advice I get from HP staff etc.

1. humagaia profile image57
                    humagaiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you will wait a long time for that advice to arrive. HP has no better idea  the causes, and what to do, than each of us does.

FWIW I think we are all barking (full stop, perhaps) up the wrong tree. We are focusing on BLs, SEO, and the like. My gut feeling is as follows (following the Penguin update, and what I have read elsewhere concerning that update):

Once upon a time we wrote an article on HP and, because of the site authority (and our great SEO techniques, haha) our hub shot into a pleasing position in the SERPs. We had the benefit of site-wide intimated authority from G. Excellent, good, and less than good content each gained from the sum of the whole.

Panda came and we each 'benefitted' from the sum of the whole, but in a negative way.

Sub-domains arrived and the sum of the whole disappeared, as did the age and authority built up to that point for each and any of our hubs.

Fast forward to the Penguin update. All that has gone before is now defunct. Different criteria entirely are the major influencers.

We may find that our hubs are indexed and place well in the SERPs to begin with (or maybe not) but it is what happens from then on that determines where they will be placed longer term. If they are well-placed and receive good traffic flow then we are pleased. But we should be looking at other metrics. And the main metric IMHO that Google uses to determine future SERP positions is the time a visitor stays on the page (bounce rate also could impact).

If you write an article in such a way that the answer someone is seeking is at the end then this metric is a good indicator of substance and authority. If you give the game away early in your missive, then it is not a good indicator. But G cannot differentiate between the two.

This is a guess, but it would be interesting to know the length of time a visitor stays, as an average, across all hubs for those with a falling SERPs position (and therefore falling visitors numbers) against the same metric for those with rising SERP positions.

Again my guess is that this fundamental shift in the relevance placed on certain metrics will account for the, what seems to be, inconsistent effects across the HP community.

The old adage of quality content still rings true, in that those hubs that cause visitors to stay 'just a little bit longer' (cue song) will win over those that don't. So, increase the length of hubs from a miserly 500 words to 'just a few more' - and give the answer at the very end. If it is possible keep amending the content of a hub until your visitors stay for at least 60 to 90 seconds, on average.

PS one good way to achieve that is to have a relevant video at the beginning of your hub, that is around 60 to 90 seconds long. Since your visitor does not exit your hub for the duration that they view the video, you get the time benefit in your stats.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Thanks for stopping your suggestions, Paul.  I promise to do the same for you.smile

4. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Ah well, I got my hit yesterday but it wasn't as bad as it could be. Down about ten per cent on the average since January. I'm still getting around twice the visitors I had before Panda. Google is eating my Hubpages account slowly.

There is no evidence yet that the latest Panda has had a big effect on the site as a whole, which is one positive: http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

Yes, Paul E said that the effect of Penguin on HP had been neutral in terms of traffic and Quantcast would appear to confirm that.

I do wonder if the recent Google changes have hit some of the higher earners more and will affect HP's income disproportionately, but that is just speculation...

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Paul did mention that Penguin didn't seem to have an effect, but he didn't mention the latest Panda rollout. How can anyone look at the Quantcast report and not see that there is a problem???

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mra4qf.png

Pre-Panda, the site's traffic increased as the amount of hubs published increased. Makes sense.

You can see the Panda dip and the recovery from the switch to subdomains. Then it all goes wonky. I mean, the last two months have been the worst the site has seen since it launched if you take into consideration the amount of new hubs published during that time period. If you follow the upward trend pre-February of last year, you'll understand where we SHOULD be right now based on the tens of thousands of hubs (or more) that have been published since then.

My traffic is up with this latest algorithm change, but I can still see that there's trouble in paradise. So can HP. Even their staffing is down. I could be wrong, but it looks like they've lost roughly seven staffers. And when you have less than 30 employees to begin with, that's a lot.

Wow!  I wish they had let me pick the ones to go!  tongue

@Irohner - That is a great way of illustrating the long term problems of HP, Irohner.  For the first few years of HP, the site saw nothing but gradual climb.  Every time it tries to climb now, Google seems to find a way to slap it back down again.

The HP Success Stories have been dropping like stones recently.  If the top hubbers are losing their income, HP will be losing income too.

1. lrohner profile image69

@Paul - The biggest point I was trying to make was that those declines are DESPITE bajillions of new hubs being published. The sheer volume of new hubs in and of itself should have put HP on an upward path, even if there was NO recovery of the older hubs from Panda. So when you see even a little decline, it should be taken seriously.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

While no one in their right mind can deny there is a problem, I question the importance of the "bajillions of new hubs being published".  Yes, there are many, many new hubs coming online all the time, but HP is still unpublishing lots and lots of older hubs as well.  The net change in # of hubs is undoubtedly going up, but not as much as we might think.

In addition, those hubs being unpublished are very often older, aged hubs and many of them were real traffic producers - we've all seen at least a handful that have had visits in the 100's of thousands or even millions that are suddenly unpublished and that has to hurt the traffic picture in no small amount.  Perhaps the graph isn't quite as bleak as it would appear if we consider unpublished hubs - bleak, yes, but better than the graph shows.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
                  rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think there are so many varying factors that are now different than a year/s ago, it's not easy to look at a 'pattern' and make predictions or assumptions.

@Irohner - Mark Knowles made a similar point in one of his threads about HP being stagnant despite new hubs being published.  I know that HP say they cleaned out about 25% of hubs, but I really don't know how many, and what the quality of new hubs published is.

On a personal level, I have been struggling to get new hubs to take off, but older ones have held up reasonably and even improved (until this big drop).

@Wilderness - Some hubs might just gradually drop out of the rankings, as well, of course.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
              Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Long Post Warning and Apologies  (but I've been keeping a lot of this in for a long time now)

PG (but also everyone else), the pattern in that graphic looks almost as if someone did a graphic about my own  "hovering averages" patterns (patterns - not figures, of course ).  Something I've noticed on so many of these "traffic-reporting" kind of threads (where people say what's happened with them over "x period" or recent days; I've noticed that most of the time what you've described with your own ups and downs have gone right along with what I've seen over the same days.  Our Hubs are completely different from what I've seen; and yet every time I see who's had increases, decreases, etc., and see that you've posted;  I've pretty much come to expect to click on your post and see you say something that I would have said for that day/period (if I were going to say anything ). It's often a case of a thread where a lot of people are talking about one change in traffic, you'll come on and say something to indicate that your traffic pattern has been different from what a lot of others have said, and then I'll think, "Oh, well.  He pointed out what's happened with his traffic is different from a lot of the other people on the thread ."  So I don't post and "just say the same thing".

In any case, while I've been thinking all along that there's a very good chance "someone" just doesn't think my stuff deserves traffic (and in a lot of cases I'd agree with that, particularly since the months after Panda made me pretty much stop caring "what Google likes" (beyond just TOS-compliance);  I can't help but notice that a lot that's gone with my own patterns/averages is something that doesn't appear to be very unique (to say the least) on here these days.

I've considered that HP's latest aims/ideas about what a Hub should be/include may have outgrown my particular Hubs/approaches.  I've considered that I might be "paying for" disabling all comment boxes but those on the most recent Hubs.  (Besides the "activity factor" that's not very "community-minded-looking", I know.  I've considered that I more aim for "unique" (but non-fiction), rather than "strictly informative".  I've considered any number of things that I do with either my Hubs or my "Google authorship name" that I could be "paying for" (but I don't do "spammy" or "adsy-only" or anything that makes a page look horrendously ugly, and my grammar is decent).

I can see that the immediate post-subdomain rise in "hovering averages"  (mind have always been fairly good and fairly stable) could have a been a flash-in-the-pan kind of thing; but the continued and seemingly consistent drop since then (even if gradual) has me thinking that either I don't belong on here (if I don't "shape up" and make major in changes in my ways) or else that something's going on that isn't particularly a matter of just my one subdomain.

I can account for some of my income loss that resulted from some shifting around of what earned most pre-Panda.    I can account for some knowing what's been copied (and remains out there).  I suspect getting rid of that "top Hubbers" page stopped some of what may have been undeserved views from people (within or outside the site) who weren't particularly looking to read.  From a "legitimate readers for everyone" standpoint, I think it's fair enough that the page is gone. 

Since I haven't been doing what I could have been doing to bring more traffic to my stuff (that's been one of the advantages of having stuff on this site), I know I could shape up and MAYBE/PROBABLY increase my traffic some.  My thing, though,  has been to wonder if, even if I started backlinking up a storm how do I know that won't backfire when it comes to "what Google likes".  I've always assumed that one of the things that may have been helping me since Panda is that I don't "write for search engines" and don't do "all the usual" in an effort to bring traffic other than organic traffic.  hmm

I'm not particularly looking for answers from anyone here because I don't think any of us really has them.  I'm just saying what my own dilemmas/questions are.  I'm not going to make any drastic changes to anything for now and unless I figure out that the traffic decrease is my own fault.  If it's something across the site that has little to do with some of the things I do, I really don't want to get into a whole cat-chasing-tail kind of deal with 300-plus Hubs and whatever else I do under my Google "author identity".  I just don't want to work harder at guessing, only to keep earning less and less.  I can accept/adjust to lower earnings and be happy enough that whatever Hubs I have earn whatever they do.  It's the high-guessing-factor I don't want to deal with.

I think aiming to do what Google has said it's looking for, and aiming to do what HubPages has said it wants on the site ("content-rich, magazine-style, articles) is often, but only sometimes, a matter of "serving two different masters".  Last year "Panda" rewarded people who wrote "decent enough" stuff.  In that year, I think HP has developed its own aims for itself, and I don't think producing "decent enough writing/ideas/information" is enough on this site any longer (if it ever was in the first place).  I think last year solid writing was being rewarded on here after the Panda slap was lifted and subdomains "happened").  This year lack of videos and other stuff is going to go unrewarded (at least to some extent).  HP is differentiating itself from some run-of-the-mill "content farms", but the confusing thing for Hubbers can be that we're told that content-rich, magazine-style, articles are what to aim for; but then things like fiction, poetry, and whatever else are still allowed.  We can all pretty much guess why.  What makes things more confusing, however, is the thing about not really being able to figure out whether this is a "writing platform" or a "social site" - or what.  Basically, the deal (for both HP and Google) is "forget about trying to please search engines; aim to get traffic to the pages we'll put ads on by socializing (and socializing and socializing).  Making videos and socializing aren't what a whole lot of writers are awfully interested in.  So be it and too bad for those writers - but it is confusing, regardless of the kind of Hubs/writing individual Hubber originally had in mind.

Either way, Nature will take its course (yet again).  It (and we) will all come out in the proverbial wash.  A lot of people have been feeling like they're in the spin cycle a little longer than they prefer.

I could be completely wrong (and I'm not someone who knows anything about, or analyzes, site-wide traffic; but I can't help but think what we're seeing is a lot of people who once got traffic getting discouraged and leaving; and a lot more who have stayed not being "actively encouraged" to keep doing things the way they've been doing them if they haven't been coming up with "content-rich, magazine-style, articles".  My thinking has always been that not every piece of writing in magazines has lots of glossy pictures (and magazines don't have "movies" in them at all); but I can understand why HP would like to be "more than a magazine" by also offering videos with articles.  It's all fine.  I think this is a nice enough site.  I just had to finally express some of the dilemmas/frustrations/questions from my own standpoint.  Whichever of my guesses above are correct, incorrect, or a little of both doesn't really matter.   It's obvious HP isn't going in the direction of "words-only" material from writers who are here to write, rather than get "all involved" in socializing.   I'm finished thinking about my HP traffic and earnings.  They are what they are.  The spin cycle has slowed way down and come very close to a stop for me.  Who and what gets hung out to dry remains to be seen.  Hopefully (one way or another), no one.

1. profile image0
                EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've reached more or less the same stage in my washing cycle as you Lisa lol

I'm not really very good at socialising for socialising's sake (which is where the Internet in general seems to be heading, never mind HubPages), and I don't fancy making videos - although I can see one or two niche subjects where making videos might be a useful thing for me to learn.

Plus my views are going down and down, and with them my earnings. How much of it is down to Google and how much to HP's recent redesigns, it's hard to say.

Boy am I glad I don't rely on HP to make a living.

1. Lisa HW profile image63

EF, I'm amazed that anyone even read even parts of that "longie" post; but it feels to good to know someone else apparently can identify.   smile  This isn't my main income either (although I do rely on what I earn here and need it).  If I didn't, I think it would be right about now that I'd start playing tennis in my spare time instead of writing.   lol

I don't think anyone really knows what's happening at the moment and we are waiting for the dust to settle.  No doubt HP staff will be discussing the stats, as will other SEO people.

I think the encouragement to use videos comes from Google putting video results high in the general search results.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Read it too, Lisa.  I feel much the same as you.  HP has changed its goals into something I'm not sure I wish to be part of anymore, as have others, apparently.

2. Jason Marovich profile image88
                Jason Marovichposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Regarding the comment disabling:  I've found, and please realize these are very humble numbers I'm talking about, that regularly updated hubs (i.e. hubs with material added to them, or material changed) have performed better than hubs that receive little or no updates.

HP staff did mention that this might be a helpful way to go.

I realize subject matter dictates updating, but for older accounts, with articles that haven't seen any new comments or updates, opening them up for that might be something to think about.

1. Dorsi profile image87
                  Dorsiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My hub "symptoms of a concussion" used to pull in over 1,000 views a day. It was on Page 1 for the query "symptoms of a concussion", right up there with medical links. The hub did fantastic, always had people commenting (and I replied) This was one of my worst hit hubs. Down to under 200 pages views a day now.

It had the symptoms of a concussion along with a personal story. I always had people thanking me for writing it.

It's tanked and I don't know why and it has nothing to do with it no activity on it.

...left scratching my head....

2. lrohner profile image69

No kidding, Randy! And I suspect we both would have made the same choices. tongue

And I would wager we are not alone, Irohner!  Sometimes I wonder if actual humans are running this place.  yikes

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I may be wrong, but wouldn't the fact that we now have sub domains affect this pattern?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes it should and it did I guess

2. lrohner profile image69

No.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

As far as I am aware, Google now effectively assesses the individual hub, the subdomain, and Hubpages.com

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure if this helps...

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6538206_f248.jpg

Did u draw one for the panda last year? smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  That was part of my earlier 'work' where I put more effort in.  As you asked, and thanks...

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6538352.jpg

Haha cool smile Something to smile about thanks lol
          Btw how's your traffic? I guess mine's doing fine.

7. Mark Ewbie profile image82

My traffic has been up about 10-20% for the last week.  Best ever. Waiting for the axe to fall.

Cool smile Mine has quadrupled from what it was in March.

Wow! Much cooler.

Haha

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82

This is better...
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6538409_f248.jpg

Haha cool

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I still think that many of us are suffering from google's sandbox effect and that after each of our subdomains reach 1 year old we should see less of the pendulous traffic swings that we are all, to some extent, experiencing now.

I personally think that the "sandbox effect" was the result of the blunt tools Google had to combat spurious linking a few years back.  Panda and Pengun have introduced more sophisticated and subtle tools and so the old sandbox 'rules' are becoming less and less relevant.  I suspect that the 1 year rule, for instance, may not be as reliable as it was a few years ago.  But we'll see.

9. humagaia profile image57
    humagaiaposted 11 years ago

Just a thought = We have seen the PAnda update. We have seen the PEnguin update. Are we in for the PIg of an update next?

Sheesh. I can't keep up with this.  Still, it gives me something to do.

If you look at Google's logo for Earth Day, then it will be "koala" next.

1. sabrebIade profile image79
          sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think they should quit beating around the bush and call the updates Apocalypse, Armageddon, Ragnarök, End of Days etc.

What about the lion and frog too on the logo smile

1. Eric Calderwood profile image79
              Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the next version should be a Liger (Napoleon Dynamite style)!

10. skyfire profile image77
    skyfireposted 11 years ago

I'm currently testing videos on Youtube and going to compare the performance with that of HP videos. I have noticed that YT videos usually rank more quickly compared to videos uploaded to any other place. I wonder if this update is more fair in case of videos in SE.

11. humagaia profile image57

I have seen an inordinate amount of debate about the generation of backlinks (both personal backlinking and natural backlinks).
    FWIW consider this:
    1. By generating personal backlinks you have control over the quality of those backlinks (where they come from, their relevance, their link juice, etc). You know the quality, profile and authority of the site / backlinker (it's you, your site, or your articles). If you have nurtured your profile and authority through your brand then the likelihood is that those links are clean and useful. As they are your own links, and Google knows this, they will not pass as much klout as if they were from someone else with the same authority. But you will have control over their 'standing'.
    2. With 'natural' backlinks you have no control. This is equally true for real natural backlinks, generated natural backlinks (as at HP where links are added between sub-domains without your consent), and for paid or spurious 'natural' backlinks. The relevance, efficacy and reliability of all of these links is subject to change according to the mood of the G algorithm at any point in time.
    IMHO G's reliance on BL's as a statement of authority is flawed. Their stated intention is to place less reliance on this in the future (as from just prior to the Penguin update). It follows therefore that if BLs are treated less favorably the articles etc that are placed high in the SERPs due to overall BL criteria, will see a drop in their relevancy, especially if the generation point of the 'natural' BL also see's a drop in relevancy.
    This factor alone could explain, although difficult in the extreme to quantify, why some articles fare better than others, and some authors here at HP fare better than others with each G update.
    The problem is you have no control on who links to you in the 'natural' world. If you happen to be unfortunate enough to have links from an author that purchases links from link farms etc, and they are found out, then a portion of the downgrading for them is reflected in your SERPs results.
    By not giving control over some aspects of SD interlinking to each author, HP is effectively causing some of the effect that authors are seeing with regard to visitor numbers.
    On the one hand we may see increased link numbers against an article (which may increase its authority), but on the other hand this may have the effect of causing the fluctuations we see at present when each new G algorithm change is implemented.
    This may be why many established authors are seeing a greater fluctuation (mainly downward) in their visitor stats.
    One should also note that it is likely that the new position in the SERPs is the one that is deserved for the content against the competition. It may be that the previous high position was false due to the circumstances outlined above.
    Where you believe you should be in the SERPs, because of your great content, is not necessarily where you actually deserve to be. Remember, in general, we produce concise content not complete content, yet we are competing against those with established authority with 'complete' content within niche sites.
    That's why unique content that fills a need not already completely satisfied is where the bests results may lie for your articles.

12. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 11 years ago

A few points worth mentioning.

The Google sandbox has nothing to do with domain age, its a penalty.

Just because backlinks are artificial, does not make them low quality.

Facebook, twitter, etc is not backlinking, its social, a different metric with different values.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I highly respect your input, Oli, so I am listening, but my understanding of the sandbox is that it is NOT a penalty (as such) and that domain age has everything to do with it.

It is only ever applied to domains that are less than a year old, and was a sort of penalty devised to beat down the spammers who threw up new crappy sites and applied thousands of artificial backlinks to push their sites to the top of the SERPS, thereby grabbing the search traffic and making a fortune in a very short period of time.

Google used to find them and de-index them manually, but these guys just started another brand new site and repeated the process.

So they wrote an algorithm that automatically pushed down any new sites that garnered a huge amount of backlinks in a short period of time, and this was called the sandbox.

By applying what has become known as the sandbox effect, new sites that appear with lots of backlinks may fall under their algorithm set up to combat spammers.

HP subdomains do generate thousands of backlinks from new, because of the way HP is set up.

According to everything I have read about the sandbox, its effect does not last longer than 12 months (and spammers don't wait around that long, though genuine sites will).

I have twice now asked Google for a reconsideration request (6 months apart), and both times they have replied "No manual spam actions found".

Note the wording 'manual'. That is not to say the algorithm doesn't think there is.

+1 Izzy!  My traffic plummeted as soon as I switched over to a subdomain here.  Almost all of my tens of thousands of backlinks were organic in nature, so I assumed they appeared to be generated artificially because my former aged articles now seemed to be brand new as did the backlinks.  So actually, HP themselves caused much of the losses in traffic by requiring us to switch over to subdomains.  smile

2. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google hates to use the word penalty, but that is what the sandbox is.

Backlinking is one of the major reasons sites get sandboxed, but it has nothing to do with domain age, but more the type of links and link quality. Site age, simply put, is not a valid negative metric to use, especially in conjunction with other factors.

The sandbox effect often is limited, depending on how serious the problem or the backlink profile is, but the limitation when it comes to backlinks is due to how Google handles backlink age/backlink popularity metrics.

I have seen plenty of sites older than a year get sandboxed, it's not particularly uncommon and I have found several clients simply because they are trying to recover from a bad backlining experience that sent them down.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Interesting.

Hmm...maybe waiting for the return of my traffic is futile. Just as well I started new subdomains, by the looks of it.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

Yes, I agree, Oli.  Plus the whole idea of the sandbox effect is becoming archaic because Google is introducing new tactics, which are much more sophisticated and subtle to deal with spurious linking.

13. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

The HP staff must be looking at the data now - whose subdomains are mostly affected. Perhaps majority of those whose views are sliding have older subdomains. In that regard, HP overall earnings is slightly affected while it will be the opposite for the subdomains that are affected. If you have more than one subdomain and the results are not the same, that is better than having one subdomain which is affected badly. It is still dependent on the number of views one of each subdomains are getting.

The new hubs created in both the new and old subdomains cannot compensate for the loss of views overall. The G rolls out new changes to their algorithm at different times in a month so tracking the changes corresponding to it are difficult specially if HP is also undergoing some changes - page layout in some major topics!

Is it too early to tell if a subdomain is affected after a week, two weeks one month, and then another G algo will be rolled out again. The G is also not clear in divulging the changes, Matt Cutts always say when he posts a change at Google webmaster forums, "the sites to be affected" or "the sites that are affected" by these changes are then blah blah. In that regard, you will never never know when they actually roll out the changes.

14. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

I think I need a nice cup of tea. And a chocolate biscuit.

Then I can sit back and watch this herd run itself off a cliff.

Do that, Will. I assure you it will be more productive and certainly more respected, than your condescending posts.  tongue

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is Sunday, Randy. Take a break. Take a walk. Look at a flower. Your heart will thank you.

None of the above, Will!  Instead i traveled down a river in a very remote part of the countryside and made videos and photos instead.  I also battled a few alligator gar in the process and watched a few giant alligators watch me.

Flowers and walks I'll leave to you.  Butterflies, ponies, and rainbows too, for that matter.  Thanks for the suggestions, but clearly your interests are a bit tamer than mine.  cool

Be careful of those big gators, Randy - some of them can be very condescending!  wink

So true, Paul.  Especially the brown nosed snapping gators.tongue  Fortunately, what they normally swallow they usually throw right back up in its entirety at a later date. yikes

I need SOMETHING, but I don't think it's tea or chocolate biscuits.  Traffic-drops discussions don't make the best way to spend the early part of a Sunday.   smile  (Such a sobering reality after a Friday night and a really nice, Spring, Saturday.)   hmm

1. Dorsi profile image87

Hi Lisa. That was a great post. I've been washed and wrung out to dry with this newest update. Don't know what to think. Down to 500 views from, 2,500 a day. And I depend on what I make here too. It doesn't pay the mortgage but is half my income right now.

sigh.....

Yes, it's crappy.  I'm hoping to bounce back within a week, but if that doesn't happen, I'll cry.  I have spent a lot of time putting a Squidoo account together and that is goign okay so far, plus I am launching another Wordpress site, but it takes months to reap the rewards on newer projects, as everyone  knows!

Dorsi, I have no idea what to think either.  I tend to suspect, at least with my own stuff that's connected to my domain and other "Google authorship" stuff, I may have - like - two different "perfect storms" going - one within my sudomain and the other "everything else" linked to me, as an author.  There are a few things I do that aren't at all "funny"/questionable but that might call for my taking steps with some of my non-HubPages stuff.  Google's webmaster stuff tells people who do some of the things I do what they may need to do as far as settings go, and I haven't (at least until now) see reason to "get all into that".  I don't know many "points off" from an author Google does or doesn't take from people for the stuff they do under their "author name" but on places other than their HP subdomain..    hmm     Even if that's not a factor with my HP account, I think if I'd address some of the non-HP-stuff issues I might be able to make up for any decreased traffic on HP (but basically, I remain clueless about any number of things.   smile  )

3. humagaia profile image57

Is that a 'p' in your surname, or is that a typo?

15. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6540204.jpg

Like this newspaper shop in Benidorm?

Yes, but I should not have intimated it. I was just so fed up with inane comments from .... that I thought I would add one of my own.

16. humagaia profile image57

Izzy "My 'time on site' stats are not good on this (slapped) account, but that is because Google sends me the wrong visitors.

The search terms according to analytics are all wrong - they are sending me traffic that do not relate to my keywords."

This is a problem that is G created - as you obviously know. But there is a way, as noted in a previous post of mine on this thread - but is unlikely to be implemented by HP because it will not necessarily have any great impact on them. Extended HTML to give Google the exact semantic meaning of a page is already available, but HTML is not accessible by us authors on HP.

All that would need to be done is for HP to replicate the Google extended HTML categories and allow each author to pick the most appropriate category for a hub. Job done - Google 'gets' the semantic meaning (and the language if that is an issue for you). G is moving to semantic search - this would give a march for HP over the opposition AND increase a hubs chances against content in the same niche - even if that content is aged. Will HP do this - don't hold your breath.

17. SirNick profile image64
    SirNickposted 11 years ago

No idea why hubpages deleted my original comment.  Do they not allow exact traffic figures?

So I'll give percentages.  I have, since the update, got roughly 95% less traffic in total.  No idea what I did.  My total backlinking is one from infobarrel and one from zujava...and that's it

Seems I've done something wrong though

1. IzzyM profile image87

Wouldn't think so. Its just Google. Hang in, your traffic will likely come back at the next monthly update, if not before smile

18. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 11 years ago

I am down from 8k roughly per day to 2K... and the 8 k was down rom 14k in January. Which wsa down from 17k per day in October - ouch.
    I don't think it is the time thing - although it could be. My top 60 hubs all have times between 2 minutes and 14 minutes.. I don't like the bouncerate but it is not off the wall high.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Ouch! That hurts.

Edit: Have you tried reading your hubs aloud? big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. Bendo13 profile image77
      Bendo13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yikes!

I'm still sitting at 500-ish right now, which really sucks.

I was getting 2K a day at best, recently it was more like 1K a day during the week... now it looks halved.

19. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Hark! The new-week uptick has begun! Leastwise for me.

20. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

I reckon that is all you can do, Dorsi.

Identify any content that is sub par and unpublish it.

It is very easy with a big account to miss the dozen or so pages that Panda will decide are sub standard. And that is all it takes, apparently, to doom your entire site or sub domain.

Searchengineland offers this:

Panda is a filter that Google has designed to spot what it believes are low-quality pages. Have too many low-quality pages, and Panda effectively flags your entire site. Being Pandified, Pandification — whatever clever name you want to call it — doesn’t mean that your entire site is out of Google. But it does mean that pages within your site carry a penalty designed to help ensure only the better ones make it into Google’s top results.

http://searchengineland.com/why-google- … date-82564

I use time spent on page to decide what is poor and what is not. I don't keep poor performers for sentimental reasons. The only thing that matters to me is reader response.

21. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 11 years ago

Today is Monday and my traffic is down by 25% from normal levels. Since I did not see any changes in traffic levels on Thursday and Friday, I thought I was un-affected. But now it looks like I am affected too.

22. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 11 years ago

I've noticed some considerable changes. Not good.

23. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 11 years ago

Penguin seems to have trouble ascertaining the search intent behind the phrase "viagra". Both funny and sad at the same time http://www.webpronews.com/google-webspa … ra-2012-04

Howstuffworks.com must be raking it in at the moment!

24. humagaia profile image57

I think I have detected that many of the responses on this thread have been at cross purposes. Will's latest comment about backlinks made me conclude this. He is talking about articles which have backlinks within them pointing out to other content. I believe most other people who are concerned about their income are talking about backlinks as those links that point to their articles.
    These are two different propositions.
    I can agree that HP articles produced as backlink generators may more likely be hit by any G algo change. For content with BLs generated externally to point to HP articles, likewise. But I think many Hubbers have understood the BL comments to include (or to be exclusive to) legitimately obtained externally generated BLs to their articles, and can therefore not understand why a hit may have occurred, and on this basis I can see their point (it is my own view).
    Under the latter scenario it *must* be other criteria in action, and it most likely is related to Penguin, than to Panda.
    Perhaps if we are talking of backlinks we should differentiate between inbound and outbound links.

I had a surge and then a sudden drop in traffic this weekend that is absolutely characteristic of Panda. It hit me later than most but it is pretty well unmistakable.

Unless you are a heavy backlinker, I think you can rule out Penguin as a cause of any present woes.

If you are a heavy backlinker, you might have got a penalty there and a completely unrelated ranking penalty from Panda too.

So it goes...

@hum - I've concluded that I shouldn't have a problem with incoming links, but I might have a problem with outgoing ones - so I've been working on that.  Early on when I was first here at HP, I created long lists of links which I put at the end of many hubs, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but in the current climate I think it's very unwise.

@Will - Ah, so you've been hit too.  I do wonder if some others who've experienced rises will get drops a few days later.  I suspect that this Panda will turn out to be a relatively wide-ranging hit, but that is nothing more than speculation on my behalf.  (And many will probably escape it, or even benefit, as Melisa keeps pointing out!)

I'm lucky, I reckon I am only down ten per cent overall. Most of the plunge was just  losing the surge. If you see what I mean.

That ten per cent comes on top of a much bigger fall in January, however, so it isn't appreciated.

I'm still well up on pre-panda days but traffic is heading in the wrong direction.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

It was an excellent idea at the time - I did the same thing, following an experiment by another Hubber that increased traffic. 

I'm not sure you should worry about it, though. A 'backlink' is an INCOMING link. Google is targetting paid backlinking.  There hasn't been any focus on OUTGOING links in Panda, except for "thin affiliate sites" (which are sites with thin content and multiple outgoing links). 

This is what Google says about outgoing links:

"Relevant outbound links can help your visitors.

Provide your readers in-depth information about similar topics
              Offer readers your unique commentary on existing resources

Thoughtful outbound links can help your credibility.

- Show that you've done your research
             - Make visitors want to come back for more analysis on future topics
             - Build relationships with other domain experts (e.g. sending visitors can get you on the radar of other successful bloggers and begin a business relationship)

The bad: Unmonitored (especially user-generated) links and undisclosed paid advertising outbound links can reduce your site's credibility.

- Including too many links on one page confuses visitors (we usually encourage webmasters to not have much more than 100 links per page)"

I know someone who added 50 outgoing links to her blog a few months ago.  She put them all on her "Contact" page as an "Other Resources" section.  She made sure every link was reputable and relevant to her site, and even included her competitors!  She saw a big improvement in her traffic and the latest updates have had no effect.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
            Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is very strange-- I'm starting to care too much about this, and think (for me) the best strategy is to go back to business as usual, and not overthink this.
            I appreciate everyone's input.

Why is it strange, Rochelle? I'm just making the point that BACKLINKS (incoming links) and OUTGOING LINKS are very different things.  Some people seem to have got the idea that this update is penalizing Hubs based on outgoing links, and it's not. 

Google doesn't like unrelated links or links to malicious sites, but HubPages prohibits those already, so it's unlikely outgoing links are a problem for anyone.  And HubPages has always recommended outgoing links to authority sites (remember the Flagship Hub program), because Google likes to see that.  So I don't find my friend's experience all that surprising.  I wouldn't put 50 links on a single Hub, though!

3. Bendo13 profile image77

I'm wondering if this isn't just the standard rollercoaster that Google is putting us through because a lot of the people who were complaining about very low traffic for a long time are now saying this new change has helped them.

But then most people who were doing well are now down in the dumps.

So, I'm curious to see if in maybe a month the grip is loosened and we rise back up.  At least I can hope that's the case because I'm sitting at 600 views for the day.  And I've checked all my other sites and none of them took a hit; it's only HubPages.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

We can hope--  It's really puzzling to see my two highest viewed hubs, which also earn the most on Amazon, almost shut down.
            Like I said, the income is not such a big thing for me, but it is weird to see such drastic changes quite suddenly.

The main issue really is whether the effects of this hit are long term or short term.  To have traffic cut by 50% is serious.

I doubt that me cutting outbound links will have very much effect either way, but I am not doing anything drastic at this stage, and thought that I would post up what I'm doing anyway.

1. Bendo13 profile image77

I'm dropping hubs that, during the past month, had a 100% bounce rate with a 00:00 average time on the hub...

Not sure if it will help, but we'll see.  In theory, it should lower my overall bounce rate and raise the average time on my site, which should look better to Google, but we'll see.

Who really knows why Google stood us in a line and slapped us all, and that's pretty much how they want things to be.  Take the sun away from us, keep us in the dark, and then offer us night lights of information as to why.

It has been done.

Well over 30 articles are no longer HubPages real estate...

Your move Google!

Let us know if there's any improvements either in the coming week or after the next Panda update

25. michifus profile image57
    michifusposted 11 years ago

There's nothing like a Google algorithm update to get the brain cells working and clear out any complacency. Look at what you have done, take stock, improve what you have done and emerge stronger (if not a little poorer!)

1. Dorsi profile image87

Yes this is very very true. My brain cells are working very hard right now! It just took a couple days for me to gather myself before I took action!

26. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Rank means what it means, the page his incoming links that Google gives weight to.

27. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I remember some forum conversations about A/B testing. I thought Silver Rose was one who had discussed the subject at one time, but I couldn't locate that specific thread.  A different thread that I found was this: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/87214

I wonder if any experienced Hubbers see any possibility that the surges and plunges in traffic could be the result of Google running some sort of A/B test on websites?  In the linked thread, several said Google can't run A/B tests, but I don't know whether that's their opinion or a truly definitive statement.

Any comments?

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google a/b tests resultson both private and public settings, it will not however account for huge traffic fluctuations as it usually occurs in small samples.  You can win on these by having high ctr and low bounce rate.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So your answer in summary is that the huge traffic changes are not the result of a/b testing by Google. (I don't mean to be obvious, lol - just trying to be sure that got through the thickest part of my skull.)  Thanks!

28. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Paradigmsearch gazes at a sea of zeros in the day-column...

the sea has turned to bubbles!

29. Eric Calderwood profile image79
    Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years ago

From the examples given in the google article it seems like the changes would be a good thing if they work.  As long as they don't mistakenly flag good content.  Hopefully they will get all the bugs worked out soon.

30. Mark Ewbie profile image82

OK, I'll just say this.

No one needs MORE SEO.  They need LESS SEO.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They need better quality SEO.

Unfortunately 'they' largely don't have a clue.  Best not to do any than to do it wrong would be my opinion.

Now, if we all had you as a next door neighbour.  I'd pop round with a beer and three hundred of my articles for you to advise me on.

Fortunately - "they" will be weeded out soon enough. Far as I can tell - there are no easy options left. When the dust settles, there should be less competition.

*Should* being the operative word. big_smile

2. Will Apse profile image87

Now that Mark has calmed down a little it might be worth pointing out a few things.

It is obvious that most of Marks suggestions in his SEO list are about link building.

The good thing is that Mark has moved from being one of those people who believed that no link could hurt you, to realizing that all kinds of manufactured backlink have a great potential to do harm. So Mark has learnt to be subtle when gaming Google.

I can't imagine he will be handing out dangerous advice to Hubbers anymore, which is wonderful.

On the faux product reviews stuff- there is an enormous difference between a product comparison page (these will always be in demand) and a product review page.

Produce an engaging, informative, product comparison page and you will get your reward in affiliate heaven.  Google will happily send you visitors.

Sorry Will - writing product comparisons of products you have clearly never touched is against google's guidelines.

Personally - I adapt. That is what we all need to do and my advice was about adapting to the new reality. What has worked for the last 5 years no longer works. Simply because too many people were doing it. Now you need to adapt.

I have always despised building crappy fake links, but it worked. I also despise people who write product reviews of products they have never touched. That is also coming to a close. Rehashing other people's opinions in the hope of an affiliate sale will not work for much longer. Google have stated they are targeting these pages and - I think - this is why there is so much collateral damage with this update. They will refine it I am sure.  Then hopefully we will have less parasites. Or at least - a few big parasites.

Not sure why you are so angry at me for telling the truth. At least I could offer some advice instead of regurgitating what I heard some one else say.  To each his own skill set, I suppose.

"Great potential to do harm"? Classic. lol lol If by that you mean - "stop working at some point" then I agree. lol lol

Trust me - your faux product reviews (sorry - comparisons) have great potential to do harm. lol lol

Sorry about all the smileys - sometimes you really are very funny.

Well, we have both had our say. And I imagine you are as bored with this stuff as I am. The arguments  of a year ago are over and you have 'adapted'.

Don't let me keep you from offending some Christians.

No sweat. I will leave you to handing out bad advice you got from other people.

Although it has to be said that for anyone like myself who's worked in retail, the affiliate hubs don't really operate any differently to in-store displays.  It is normal in the non-virtual world for sales people to try and sell you devices over the phone, or in person, that they have no deep intimate knowledge of, so why should the web world operate differently? 

However, I would agree that Google have come to the conclusion that there are a glut of affiliate posts and it is attempting to clamp down on them. 

(It does also seem to be the case that hubbers who don't seem to use any form of affiliate promotion are getting severely slapped too though, I've noticed.)

Affiliate sites, just like other sites that offer nothing more than spam will surely be taken down. There are many people who do plenty of research and then write about something not grabbing all their data from one place.

If I were to buy something online I'd do a lot of research first; but, if I managed to get a website or article that would help me giving me unbiased info it would surely help. Not necessarily that I'd buy from there; but, that would make my job much easier. That's what people are looking for acc  to me.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Affiliates are not selling anything and in the case of the type of pages we are discussing - offer no value whatsoever. They are simply another form of webspam. Which is what this update is (supposedly) targeting. How many "best riding lawnmower" pages out there? 3 million. lol

They are greedy and want the commissions for themselves.

The site as a whole does not seem to have been severely affected. how many hubbers stats do you have access to exactly? Or are you just basing that on a few forum posts?

I know the site as a whole hasn't been severely affected (It is continuing its generally downward drift, but has suffered no catastropic sudden decline)  I said that non-affiliate hubbers had been affected too.  It is clear even from a cursory look at the "HubPage Success stories".  Obviously, one only needs only a handful of examples to make that assertion.

If Google are targeting hubs purely because they employ keywords or titles that have been used before then we are all in trouble, including yourself.

Certainly in my case, I would say that the difficulty for Google is that some of the affiliate hubs are built around topics and products that I know very well, and some are built purely around research, and it is virtually impossible for Google to tell the difference. 

"They are greedy and want the commissions for themselves" - So are you saying that all shops and mobile phone companies and utility compainies etc. are somehow morally corrupt because they seek a greater share of the market?

Whatever the arguments, however, I accept that the practical situation is that Google see all the affiliate stuff as clutter and so we have to adapt.

1. profile image0
                    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the clue is in the word "clutter".

There are only so many people using the Internet, and there is only so much time in a day they can spend on the Internet.

And yet the number of Internet sites/pages keeps on growing. Simple maths dictates that more sites/pages = a reduced number of visitors per site.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Yes - those companies are morally corrupt. Not sure what that has to do with it. I never mentioned morals. The sooner you understand that Google is your competitor for affiliate commissions, the sooner you will be able to adapt to the new reality.

I never said anything about google targeting keywords that have been used before. I simply pointed out that there is a lot of that garbage out there. If you think a faux product review can outrank 3 million other pages - go for it.

I am in the business of scraping a few bucks off Google as it goes by. I do it by effectively building authority and traffic using links and other methods, in the hope that google won't be able to tell the difference - you do it by writing product reviews for articles you have never touched in the hope google won't be able to tell the difference. lol

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

I am puzzled why people keep saying "affiliate stuff" is a problem.

All my six websites are reliant on affiliate sales and have affiliate links on every page.  Two of them are review sites.  All but one of them have seen a minor rise in traffic since the latest updates.  I have affiliate links, eBay and Amazon capsules in every Hub yet my traffic is up 118% this month.

Google is targeting thin affiliates, i.e. pages that are heavy on affiliate links and thin on content.  There's a big difference between that, and someone who writes informative articles on products.

And I have to agree with Sufidreamer - a good copywriter can write a review without ever having used the product, with the right research.  And there's a big difference between that and just regurgitating Amazon reviews.

3. Sufidreamer profile image79
                Sufidreamerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also worked in retail/sales, and there is some justification in the comparison.

However, there are good and bad salespeople in retail - the worst read from a pre-prepared script and obviously have little knowledge of the product. The best appeal to every emotion and make you think that their product is something you simply must have.

In the online world, Will's droll, tedious, recycled sales Hubs are the equivalent of a bored salesperson reading from a script.

A skilled writer, on the other hand, can use words to add texture, depth, and flow to a product review. They can make people believe that they have intimate knowledge of the  product, even if they have never actually seen it.

That's the difference smile

1. Dorsi profile image87

I can't or won't knock anyone elses stuff but here is what I have done:

On the few product reviews I have done, 95% have been items I have used, and they have done decently because I put that conversational style "let's sit down and I'll tell you what I really think about this product" conversation into the experience. And along with that, here are a few visuals that I've put together myself of the product in action.

Readers like that.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79

I don't normally knock the work of others, but I do become irritated when somebody on a writing site constantly denigrates the hard work of others, yet possesses limited writing ability.

I think you are right - the conversational approach is a good one, especially when it is married to the warmth and honesty that underpins your writing style and voice. smile

2. Aficionada profile image80

I wonder if you would be willing to point to some specific examples of sales Hubs that "use words to add texture, depth, and flow to the product review." So far, the Hubs of Will's that I have read have actually fallen within that category or characterization. I would enjoy reading some product reviews that by comparison make his sound like "the equivalent of a bored salesperson reading from a script." Those unnamed others must truly be spectacular.

You could try our very own Mark Knowles, for a start - I actually looked at this Hub a couple of days ago, so it is fresh in my mind:

http://mark-knowles.hubpages.com/hub/Fi … h-headsets

As for other HP writers, Sunforged and Frogdropping are just two of the other writers I admire. Two different styles, but their work makes me think about parting with my hard-earned money. They know how to sculpt with language.

To be fair, it is only the opinion of one person, but Will's work does not move me in any way whatsoever. To me, it appears that he has no knowledge or experience of the products he writes about, and there is little passion or emotion behind the words. Such things lie at the foundation of good sales writing.

Will is a big boy with a lot of robust opinions, and he is happy to throw out plenty of thinly-veiled insults - I am pretty sure that he can fight his own battles wink

3. j-u-i-c-e profile image95
                  j-u-i-c-eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This whole discussion of product reviews seems skewed to me. I worked in retail for 15+ years. No one can be expected to have first-hand experience of every product in a store, and having first hand experience of a product doesn't necessarily make your recommendation better than a well-researched review based on other sources. I doubt I ever had direct experience with more than 5% of the products in my store at any one time, but I was still expected to sell them all.

The best reviews are based on personal experience + research (what do other people think of the product? Maybe 95% of the people you talk to hate a product you love);  the next best kind of reviews are based either on personal experience alone, or on research; the worst kind of reviews are based on bad research or no research.

A review based on personal experience without any research is just as bad as a well-researched review without any direct experience, in my opinion, and it's far worse than a researched review if the writer intentionally conceals negative features in order to sell it. I asked people what they thought of products all the time as part of my job and I found that a lot of the time, if it was a product I had used myself, that the person providing the review had a completely different experience and that their information would have been worthless to me as a consumer. How is that better than asking twenty people what they thought of a product and sharing all of those different views?

Since we're talking about online writing, which is incredibly competitive, your best strategy is to combine personal experience with extensive research. If you're not doing both, you're not giving your readers the best kind of information and your review is not going to stay competitive. But I don't think a well-researched article is any worse than a first-hand account that hasn't been followed up with additional research.

Maybe it's just my own background in retail, but if there's one thing I hate it's someone trying to sell me on a product by trying to convince me that I need it. I instinctively don't trust people like that. I'd rather talk to the awkward kid who doesn't know how to sell and 'spills the beans'. Focus on providing good information and the sales will take care of themselves.

It is skewed, but we were discussing only a single technique - there are many, as you pointed out. When I write sales articles/letters for clients, I often know very little about the product and base it entirely on research. No problem with that if you can convince the reader that you have some expertise in the subject. So I sort of agree with you on this - every salesperson has a preferred technique built upon their own individual strengths smile

I think that the worst sort of review is one that is written badly. If there is no passion, honesty, or authority behind the words, then it is a bad review, IMO. Sales writing is about more than just bolting words together or using perfect grammar - it is about using voice and flow.

The best strategy is the one that works - I use a number of different techniques, depending upon the product type and the target demographic. Most of all, I try to give my clients what they want - they are the ones who pay me for the work, after all!

It depends upon what audience you are aiming for - if you are after impulse buys, creating a 'buy it now' mentality is often the way to go. If you are trying to build up an authority site, other techniques may be better, as you say.

I also worked in stores, where I tried to build a rapport with customers and used soft-selling techniques. On the other side of the coin, I worked in telesales - in that environment, you had to convince people instantly, or you lost the sale.

Providing useful information certainly helps, but the best sales writing requires a little more subtlety and consumer psychology smile

31. Jon Potts profile image44
    Jon Pottsposted 11 years ago

Meh, spammers gon spam. People affected by the Google updates make me laugh.

That's not fair.  I'm glad to see Google finally getting on top of the splog networks, for instance, but the trouble is, there's too much collateral damage.  Too many innocent websites (and Hubbers) seem to get caught in the crossfire and penalized for no apparent reason.

32. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 11 years ago

I've noticed some very slight changes, first down, now up again.  I think it takes about a week or so to level out; I think it's better over all for content.

33. Jon Potts profile image44

I don't see collateral damage. All I see is spammers.

1. Dorsi profile image87

I am NOT a spammer, have mostly organic backlinks built up over 4 years and share mostly with my friends, followers and family. YES there is alot of collateral damage to many fine hubbers.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason this time.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Read Dorsi's hubs, read mine-- and please point out the spam.

34. Jon Potts profile image44

You're both too old to understand SEO. smile Nuff said.

lol

35. profile image53
    Ana smartposted 11 years ago

hello mark am Ana need help please

Send money. big_smile

36. humagaia profile image57

The sum total of all that has been written on this thread boils down to one problem: it is not that there are updates happening to G algos (Panda, Penguin, ...) all the time, but that 'we' rely too heavily on G (and Adsense).
    The debate goes on about good or bad back-linking strategy, good or bad SEO, g or b whatever..... But maybe it is a good time to review the reasons why we should actually be doing things in alternative ways.
    Creating links to satisfy G (gaming) is not the reason links should be created. Links should be created to garner traffic - if a link does not produce traffic then it is a useless item, a waste of time and effort to produce. (And I know some of you will say producing links increases PR and other shite related to G, and that they then produce traffic..... but the links are created on a false premise).
    If links are created for the purpose of generating traffic, and that traffic arrives, G will know and attach a 'credit' for that link. It does not matter if it is dofollow or nofollow; that it is from a low or high PR site; or any other GoogleGamingBabble SEO BS. The link is relevant to your site (article), produces traffic, and cuts down on the reliance on traffic from G.
    For those negatively impacted by any G change, their focus should be on nurturing traffic sources other than G. It is time for us all to wean ourselves off mother G.
    There were calls for a worldwide boycott of G early in this thread. A better way is to eat a more diverse diet. Don't worry about whether or not a backlink is 'good' or 'bad' - all links that produce traffic are 'good' (for you). When I say this I mean 'relevant' traffic - that which fulfils your requirement (audience and / or monetary).
    Those link building practices that do not produce traffic should be discarded. Creating links in places such as: forum profiles, rubbish directories, social bookmarking sites, rarely produce traffic and so should be discarded as a method of link building. Similarly, creating 'spun' articles and spam comments on blogs and articles, never produce traffic - so stop wasting your time.
    It is time to focus back to what links should be about: creating new traffic sources; and, enhancing the audience experience by giving relevant pointers (links) to additional reading material (or to reference citation locations).
    Once we obtain traffic from sources other than G the ups and downs of outrageous fortune that we are seeing from the G algo changes will diminish.
    The upshot of this is that it is likely that those G changes will have a positive effect on our G traffic as 'good' (traffic-producing) links will increase our chances of higher G SERPs rankings - as other fall, in conjunction with our own authority increase.
    Where to find the 'good' links? Try looking at your stats. Forget about the big search engines, and the metasearch engines. Concentrate on sites that are sending you traffic and nurture them. Additionally,find places in your niche to comment, that have good visitor numbers: blogs, forums and websites. Answer questions related to your niche. Use social media more. Create videos, screencasts, podcasts, presentations (include them in your articles and websites as well), etc.
    If it is within your capability, create an e-mail list of those that follow you.
    Putting together a strategy for traffic generation, other than a reliance on traffic from G, will mitigate any future 'hits' from G. Like any business one should diversify: like any investment strategy, one should diversify. Reliance on G (and Adsense) is a recipe for disaster - as we have seen from the comments to date on this thread and others similar (and across the web).
    If one can increase traffic from other sources to half of your total traffic then any impact from G will be halved - better to lose a quarter of your traffic than a half! (I know - the numbers don't work like that, but the example does give an idea I am trying to convey).

I like the thrust of what you're saying, Hum.  The reliance on Google traffic is a bit like the Western World's addiction to Middle East oil though.  Most of us would like to switch over to a greener energy (read non-Google traffic) but the practical difficulties of doing so are huge.

But the practical difficulties are no greater than determining which links Google will 'support' or 'slap'. It is not a matter of switching over, it is rather a matter of adding links that will produce traffic - as these are expanded, the natural course of events means that less reliance is placed on the flow from a G well. Better to look for reasonable levels of 'local oil' than go looking for the 'gusher' that only rarely happens, and can be cut off by the prevailing political position of the source.
        We are all looking for traffic - I just advocate that more effort should be placed on linking for the sake of getting traffic to flow through them, than to create them for the purpose of trying to play the Google game and get the traffic from what turns out to be the secondary source (ie G).
        I also advocate that getting non-Google generated traffic is more likely to result in Adsense clicks, than it is from A place that has already placed the same ads in front of the traffic (ie ads on G SERPs).
        All in all getting alternate sources of traffic is the better bet, not only because it is additional traffic, but because that traffic has not seen the Adsense ads, and because when G sees traffic passing along the link 'worm-hole' it may well determine that there is some level of 'need' and 'authority' associated with it. That then reflects in how G views the recipient of the traffic, particularly if the audience engagement stats stack up (ie stickiness and low bounce rates).

37. jasmith1 profile image82
    jasmith1posted 11 years ago

Just to share some good news, my earnings today are much better than they have been for a few weeks (abt 60% of where I was, compared to 10%). I don't want to get too excited but I think it's good to share the improvements as well!

38. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

Response to this below.

As you apparently are too. wink - or, maybe not plenty, but certainly at least one. wink

Okay, so asking a question in an attempt to understand your attitude towards WA's writing style constitutes fighting his battles for him? I thought I was trying to find an example of a product review that would fit the description you gave. big_smile

It seems to me that it boils down to"different strokes for different folks." Like you, I base a lot of my reaction on this important question:  Does this review make me think about parting with my hard-earned money?

But I have a couple of other questions too:  Does this review make me interested in a product I have not known about before? (Will's did) and, Does this product change my mind about something that I actively dislike, like a Bluetooth headset? (Mark's did not.) 

As much as I love Dorsi, and as much as I like and admire Mark (and I do, despite our public battles), the product review Hubs of theirs that I have read crossed the line from review Hub into blogging-about-products. They are both quite successful Hubbers, so there are obviously a lot of people who like that style. It doesn't speak to me.

The issue though really is whether Google considers something spammy or not.  If it does, then no one will ever see that article because it will be relegated to page 20 of the search results!

This then raises the question: what criteria is G using to assess whether or not a particular (product) hub is spammy?

1. Dorsi profile image87

OH OH I am so offended (NOT) lol it does boil down to different strokes for different folks. I don't consider myself a major hitter as a product review writer, just an average consumer with some writing chops that shares the occasional review on something I like. Perhaps some of my hubs would be better in a blog but HP is where I chose to test things out. I am leaning towards this penguin slap for me as possibly being because I have been all over the board with topics. Maybe I need to focus in on just a few niche topics. But then the way Google assesses authority and expert writing makes me wonder what the he@@ are they really looking for anyway???...

Like this scenario for example:

One of my most successful hubs was about concussions. It rode the first page of Google for along long time. Now with this latest update it's been wiped out. Am I a Dr.? No but I wrote about the symptoms of a concussion from first hand experience with my son, and added in my research on what to look out for in a concussion. Looks like Google no longer cares that my hub "spoke" to many people (just look at the comments - wow -) I think my style was what many people were looking for - someone that would not only give them information on the topic but also share their own personal experience. So does this mean I'm an expert on the topic? No but it does give me a lot of credibility. Now after the newest Penguin slap aimed at "spam", it makes me wonder - Do the "expert" sites that have now demolished my hub have bigger adwords accounts so are therefore driven to the top despite what great content I may have wrote? Despite the fact I had a gazillion people reading and commenting? I totally engaged the readers - isn't what what great writers are supposed to do? Doesn't seem like the big G could give a cra@ about that! They want great content my a@@!!

Me thinks the big G advertisers are the ones who made out in the Penguin, ya think?

I see more lawsuits in Google future...and it's called monopoly. And yeah it's an unfair monopoly favoring the big boys and those with money. It ALWAYS boils down to $$$$.

OK rant over.

1. Aficionada profile image80

Dorsi, just to be perfectly clear about the comment I made to SD, I was specifically referring to product reviews. I think that there are many types of articles that benefit from a personal point of view, and I use it quite often myself. I think, in particular, that a lot of people want to know more about another person's experience with something unknown, such as a disease or a health condition.

And that is probably why a lot of people like the personal touch in product reviews: they're learning about something unknown and about how it has impacted or affected another person.  It just doesn't happen to hit me that way, maybe because I'm a rather reluctant consumer.  I was also reacting specifically to the criticism of Will Apse's writing style, in part because I had just happened a few days ago to have read a couple of his product reviews and my reaction was, Wow, this is great writing!

Different ... for different ....

Let me know if you get the Google-slap figured out. My traffic is way down too, and I have articles in several different niches.

1. Dorsi profile image87

I'm really not offended lol. I'm just glad that we can come here and talk about all kinds of stuff - most importantly our income after Penguin. I do have to admit I was starting to depending on the income....so yeah when it's hard on your pocketbook it's gets more personal!

Sorry to hear about your traffic. And yes, if I figure anything out about this da@@ Penguin I'll be sure to share it!

2. Sufidreamer profile image79

big_smile No argument on that score! I certainly can be a cantankerous, opinionated Northern lad.

That is true, as I mentioned to j-u-i-c-e above - everyone has their own preferences. A lot of it depends upon what you are looking for - I have been actively looking for a bluetooth headset, so Mark's review hit the spot. It wasn't a cold sale. If I was based in the US, I would happily have followed one of his links and made a purchase (Sorry, Mark big_smile).

I have written very little online sales copy aimed at people with your last two questions, because very few people 'accidentally stumble' across a product they have never heard of or actively dislike. In my experience, that is the domain of mailing lists and sales emails.

As a consumer, I am very rarely swayed to buy products that I did not know about before - that is probably because I write for a living, so I am far too cynical.

When I write sales copy, all that I am interested in is making sure that my clients make plenty of sales. That's the joy of being a writing mercenary  smile

Well, I'm a Northern lad too (spent a lot of my life in Cumbria and Yorkshire), but I met an American lady and I now live in Florida!  :-)

I have been gradually throwing "product hubs" overboard for the past 4 or 5 months, to be honest, they were a good idea at one time, but in the current climate they are very risky.

Lancashire born and bred, but I now live in Greece. Much better weather and food big_smile

I rarely bother with HP or passive income, nowadays. It is much easier to write sales articles for clients and let them worry about the marketing, promotion, and penguins.

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
            Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sufiddreamer, I wondered what happened to you. I figured you were writing for magazines or something, since your hubs were so good.

39. cheapstuff profile image58
    cheapstuffposted 11 years ago

I think the goal is to use a real website to rank and utilize HubPages for an outside source of traffic and backlinking. Without control over the coding and domain you really have no business on the first page of a keyword that actually gets searched. You could have the greatest content in the world but it does not mean much if someone cannot open the page quickly or navigate the content easily. Searchers are searchers and they want their result fast without headaches.

40. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I do sympathise, Dorsi. It's horrible when Google relegates all your carefully crafted articles to page 200 or wherever they have gone.

My traffic never did return since August, although I saw a little improvement towards the end of last year thanks to minority interest in a couple of hubs I had written - the benefits of which were lost when some plonker on here decided to complain on the forums about the fact that my hub on a similar topic to his had ads when his didn't, resulting (of course) in my losing my ads.

I just unpublished the hub and will find a new home for it when I get round to it.

After having some hissy-fits on the forums over my (lack of) traffic and the apparent 'slap', I just started new subdomains.

When the first of those got slapped last week, I just shrugged - it was a general topic subdomain, but to be honest my focussed subdomains brought in more money and traffic.

Maybe when they get slapped, one of my other accounts will come back into Google's favor, who knows?

No point in stressing over it, as I did.

Google is too fickle these days, yet the HP site is still going strong. For that reason, it is worth starting new accounts so that you don't have all your eggs in the one (HP) basket.

I've also started writing on other sites too, but without much success so far. HP seems to give new accounts a better boost, at least initially.

41. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

I agree with the earlier comments about writing reviews. I have written freelance reviews of products I had not even tried but fully read up on (okay they were apps!) and it does pay off, so anyone can do it if they are good writers of copy! Any hubber can read up on how to do this, as there's tons of books about it, and even some free ebooks.

As writers we have lots of options to get traffic, and Hubs make it more easier now than ever. So riding out any storm ala Google Penguin Update should be a cinch. Make content topical and don't fear the backlinks to your hubs, they bring in traffic and new writers to Hubs!

I am not worried about having affiliate accounts with any companies, either. I recommend everyone reads the Copybogger website! (Copywriting 101). Also check what Hub Pages suggests for improving your writing!

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cheeky Girl, Thanks for the info.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)