What are you reading?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 55 discussions (86 posts)
  1. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

What is it that's taking you on flights of fancy these days?

1. Karen and Lesley profile image61
      Karen and Lesleyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I really enjoy reading my daughter's teenage books on the teenage spy Alex Rider by Anthony Horrowitz.  He really knows how to keep his very discerning audience on the edge of their seats.

2. profile image0
      Abhinayaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am all for my children's school books.Lot of info in Physics, Chemistry,Botany,Zoology,History,Geography,Arithmetic.Preparing them for the exams.Great topic. big_smile

3. sunshine rivers profile image61
      sunshine riversposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am presently reading: A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown
      and When Society Became An Addict by Ann Wilson Schaff

I just completed for a second read-The Shack- which is a great book.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Hubpages big_smile

elisabeth reidposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL...that's been me, lately.  Lotsa readin'...not so much writing.

Bad Lisa.  Bad, baaaad Lisa.

I've gotta do something about that.

2. k@ri profile image84
      k@riposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would have to agree.  Between writing and reading, I have not had to buy a novel in a few months.   big_smile

3. profile image0
      iamqweenbeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

DITTO

3. sevenGEIN profile image60
    sevenGEINposted 16 years ago

I just finished Footprints of Lion by Beverly Harper, and found it thoroughly enjoyable. I also found out that she lived in the same region as me, but is now dead.

Is it something that you can sum up in a few lines?  Not the plot itself, just the general 'feel' of the book...

4. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I am reading Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier.  It's pretty good.

It it one that you'd recommend?  I'm looking for a new read...I want fiction, but I'm in a lit fic phase right now.  I've got a stack of commercial fic, but it just ain't doin' it for me at the moment.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
        Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  It's a fabulous book.  Frazier is a fabulous, thorough writer.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wrong,  It's brilliant.

5. Griffo profile image57
    Griffoposted 16 years ago

Currently reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. I'm a late started with Pratchett but i'm speeding through the books now tongue

I haven't read much of Pratchett....just one....but I thoroughly enjoyed its whimsy.  Hope you enjoy this one as much as the others you've read.

smile

6. Talem profile image62
    Talemposted 16 years ago

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

Im very suprised Im loving this book.  It's chock full of her Objectivism ideals, but it complements the story.

I have that one at home...I picked it up the other day and then...well...got sidetracked.  It was Valentine's Day, after all.

Maybe I ought to revisit it.

big_smile

7. Talem profile image62
    Talemposted 16 years ago

Ahehehee. big_smile  I vouch that you should try it, whenever you find more time.

It gets juicy in the middle, but dont wan't to spoil it for you.  I've read many complaints of Rand making too long of dialogue segments, and shoving her philosophy down the readers throats in every page.....but I've really liked it so far.

8. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

I am reading 'Snobs' by Julian Fellowes. I read it as a comedy of manners, or how the current British ruling class thinks. I like to know how everyone thinks. It is Tolstoyesque in its detail of mannerisms. I am not quite half way through it, since books I enjoy I spend months reading. Fellowes is a British Ministries actor, going back to the 'The Dutchess of Duke Street', a couple of 'Rumple of the Baileys', and a list as long as one's arm, most of which I have not seen.

9. granite_butterfly profile image54
    granite_butterflyposted 16 years ago

I am reading "Candy Freak" by Steve Almond, an in depth study of the wonderful world of candy, namely chocolate.  So far, a worthwhile, fun read... big_smile

Stands to reason that most anything having to do with chocolate would be a fun read.

big_smile

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The "Olivia" series of children's books. Over and over.

10. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 16 years ago

I read your question and typing the answer.

11. profile image48
    katrina77posted 16 years ago

Im reading  Anatomy of the Spirit: the seven stages of power and healing. by Caroline Myss.

12. seamus profile image58
    seamusposted 16 years ago

Any essay by Joan Didion.

Soon, I want to re-read some Raymond Carver stories.

Which are your favorites?

13. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 16 years ago

I'm reading a message on my toilet paper...it reads crapalot!....... charmin!!

*snort*

Oops...that was rather unladylike, wasn't it?  I hope my mom didn't hear....

tongue

14. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 16 years ago

Shamans, Sorcerers and Saints, a prehistory of religion

It's a bit dense and academic but utterly fascinating.

I go through phases when something like that is right up my alley.  Sounds intriguing, actually.

15. madmike27 profile image56
    madmike27posted 16 years ago

this post...  smile

oh, and the 4 hour work-week by Tim Ferriss... good stuff.

4 hours, huh?

I could get into that. 

*sigh*

I need a winning Lotto ticket.

16. sevenGEIN profile image60
    sevenGEINposted 16 years ago

And now I'm reading Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah for English. Its a good book!!

17. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image62
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Just finished Neil Gaiman's  "American Gods"  (insanely good---I love  Neil Gaiman). I'm not sure  what I'll read next. I've got Gaiman's  "Anansi  Boys"  on order through my library, but I might re-read "Getting Things Done" again first.

18. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

I have just started "Cecilia" by Anna Bitton.  A 'portrait' of  Nicolas Sarkozy's ex-wife.  I guess I was reading some much about Carla Bruni on the press that i became courious about Sarkozy's ex-wife!

19. jdeschene profile image60
    jdescheneposted 16 years ago

I'm reading a very interesting book right now called "How to Write Horror Fiction" by William F. Nolan.  I highly reccommend it to anyone who's ever thought of becoming a horror writer.  Nolan's tips are fabulous and very helpful.

20. Griffo profile image57

I've nearly finished reading Mort by Terry Pratchett now and may go on reading Terry Pratchett books or have a break from them and read something else. I currently have Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' box set on order from Amazon.co.uk smile

Anyone a fan of Pullman? I've never read anything by him yet and have heard good things!

1. Sylvia Page profile image59
      Sylvia Pageposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am reading Justin Scott's "A Pride of Kings" a rather slow beginning but entertaining...

1. Nick Logan TV profile image60
        Nick Logan TVposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Can you tell me a little about Mort.?.. I've seen that at least 3 times on this post.  Just curious.  Thx :cool

21. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 16 years ago

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

I know it's old, but I've never read it.  Have seen the movie though.

Also reading The Sacred Sin by Estevan Vega, doing a review on it.  If there's a category for it on hubpages, maybe I'll post it when I'm done.

I've never read it, either...but I want to.  I haven't seen the movie yet, though.  I won't until I've read it.

You'd think that'd motivate me, wouldn'tcha?

Ummmmm.....

22. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 16 years ago

I just finished reading Escape my Carolyn Jessop.  I have now started reading Kite Runner, another must read.

I agree...a definite must read.  Absolutely outstanding book.  I loved it!!!

Have you seen the movie?

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have not seen the movie, I just started reading the book.  Another must read along the lines of Kite Runner is the Yacoubian Building by Alaa Al Aswany.  The Yacoubian Building is a fictional novel about the social issues in modern Egypt, but it is so realistic it reads like a biographical account of peoples lives.  It was also made into a movie, which I would also like to see.

23. barranca profile image78
    barrancaposted 16 years ago

I've been reading political books...perhaps because it's the season:  Chalmers Johnson, Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, John Rawls.  All highly recommended.

24. risend profile image53
    risendposted 16 years ago

I am reading a book on facebook applications and how to do everything with it, I am not much of a novel reader. I do enjoy the occasional samurai novel though. My favorite is Musashi by Eiji Yoshikava. It was addicting, I couldn't put it down and ended up reading it in a few days despite being around 1,000 pages long.

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that was originally serialized in a newspaper over a looong period.

25. profile image53
    philem44posted 16 years ago

This is pretty good it shows you have good appetite for reading and perusing books with good content. I also read a lot and my greatest hobby is the twin activity of reading and writing.

26. Griffo profile image57

Started reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman the other day. Not that far into it yet so can't pass much judgment on the actual story. But what i can say is that it is well written so i imagine it will be a great read.

27. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

I haven't seen Kite Runner...it takes me a long time to see films that have been made based on books that I love.

I have a day off tomorrow...now I have a book to look for.  big_smile

Oh, won't my husband be overjoyed.

*insert Mark's sarcasm sign here*

28. compu-smart profile image89
    compu-smartposted 16 years ago

Tea leafs:P

29. scheinandras profile image60
    scheinandrasposted 14 years ago

I'm reading Bulgakov's master and margarita. Brilliant book

30. profile image0
    Greta Lieskeposted 14 years ago

I'm reading "A Lion Among Men," the third installment of the Wicked series. Not far in yet to know if I like it! But I loved the other two. . .

1. Pennie Packard profile image61
      Pennie Packardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just started reading "Wicked" and so far I really like it. It's sort of "different"! I haven't read any of the others yet.

I just joined HP today and posted my first article so I probably shouldn't be spending a lot of time reading till I get onto all the ways of HP.

1. profile image0
        Greta Lieskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's definitely unexpected...especially if you've seen the musical. It's much more serious than people think...and full of a whole lotta satire. I loves it!

31. anime_nanet profile image59
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

A book by R.A Salvatore! One of many!

He and Pratchett are my favorite foreign authors!

32. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

The electricity meter.

*wondering if can be be ... fixed*

33. profile image0
    SarahMichelleposted 14 years ago

Go Ask Alice. Anonymous.

34. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I remember reading Go Ask Alice as a teen. Someone told me it has been proven a fake...who knows. I still enjoyed it.

Right now I'm reading D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers in ebook version. I read it a long time ago and had an urge to read it again. I'm enjoying it so far.

1. profile image0
      Greta Lieskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I LOVE Sons and Lovers. . . it's entertaining and complicated because of all the unspoken emotions. Great British read. . ..

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love most of what D.H. Lawrence wrote smile

35. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Currently, this forum topic!  lol  big_smile

36. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I am reading on hubpages. lol

37. profile image53
    dvfrazposted 14 years ago

I'm just finishing up an alternative history novel, Discovering Atlantis.

38. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Last read "Water For Elephants" 
    Well-written, unexpected and charming.

39. Zabbella profile image74
    Zabbellaposted 14 years ago

I don't get too many chances so, on my lunch breaks I am reading Robin Cook's BLINDSIGHT.

40. Drew Breezzy profile image63
    Drew Breezzyposted 14 years ago

a whole new mind by daniel pink

41. lafenty profile image66
    lafentyposted 14 years ago

The Stand by Stephen King.  Have been wading through it for the last several weeks.  About half way through the 1100 pages.

42. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I mostly read news articles, textbooks for class and my old job got me into the habit of reading legislation and statutes (even though I don't have to anymore).

I've always had to speed and scan read things so I find it really hard to read for pleasure. I'm sort of 'broken' that way. I just read "Dead Days of Summer" by Carolyn Hart. It's about 350 pages and most people would spread it out for pleasure reading over a week or two. I read it all last night in about 4 hours. So...not much pleasure derived from that.

Other than that, the only books I read for pleasure are John Grisham novels, classic Sherlock Holmes or those cheesy themed murder mysteries that are sold for $6.99 a pop on Amazon. I read a lot more when I was younger for pleasure, before college and a job that required lots of studying. I'm trying to get back on the pleasure reading bandwagon, especially since I got a kindle for my birthday in march! It's just hard to when I feel that I have to speed read and scan stuff and finish it all in one setting.

43. profile image0
    JuanRose'nRabbitposted 14 years ago

Right now, I'm reading The Cult of Mac (about Macintosh lovers), A Penultimate Truth by Philip K. Dick, Red, Wet Dirt which is a collection of horror stories by Nicholaus Grabowsky (Sacramento author) and the Story of Archaeolgy by a C.W. Cerams (?).  All very good books.

44. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Book Nine of The Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan, my 15th or maybe 20th time through the set.  SO looking forward to the next installment due out in November.  No, not Jordan's ghost; his successor as chosen by his widow (Jordan's widow, not the successor's widow).

Why so eager for the next volume?  Well, see, the copies of the first 11 books are sort of disintegrating from overuse....

1. k@ri profile image84
      k@riposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not realize there was a new book coming out.  WoooHooo! November, you say?  I will be watching for it!  Thanks for the good news!!  big_smile

45. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Carl Jung's "Dreams and reflections" for about the fourth time.

46. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I started reading Q and A today.

47. MBP42 profile image60
    MBP42posted 14 years ago

I am reading the Koran, could not believe how many times it references Moses and Abraham. It even references Jesus but then in the next breath it denies His Godhood. Oh well.

48. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

I am reading 'Nights of Rain and Stars' by Maeve Binchy. It's a gentle summer read, set in a small village by the sea in Corfu where a small group of strangers are brought together by a tragedy.  You just know that it all going to work out in the end!

49. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Found some cool old reads in the second hand book exchange.You know recession and all.

Plum Island -Nelson Demille

50. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm reading In Cancer Land by Libby Znaimer...about surviving breast cancer.

I'm also reading a funny novella called Just Desserts by Carl Reiner. And the latest Love and Rockets comic, New Stories smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)