If you could start any small business?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 56 discussions (74 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Kevin Lamposted 13 years ago

If you start any small business, what would it be. I would start a aquaculture farm. A aquaculture farm is basically a fish farm.

1. Brooke Lorren profile image60
      Brooke Lorrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd start a writing business.

Wait, I did.

2. wealthseeker profile image60
      wealthseekerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would start a blog business on fitness and gadgets.

3. scutman032 profile image60
      scutman032posted 13 years agoin reply to this

an aquaculture farm would be extremely exciting... but what kind of fish would you raise?

4. HarvWhitman profile image60
      HarvWhitmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have started a business on line for marketing multi-level and affiliate marketing.  It is a long term project, not a get rich scheme, or a pyramid.  Some of the benefits are:  I choose where and when I work with a laptop, the start up costs and risk are minimal, and the tax benefits are typical of a home based business.

I'll also go with Alan's suggestion that if it were without strategy or budget constraints - vineyard.

5. suffilover profile image61
      suffiloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I Would probably do web design for actors, male models, photographers and psychologists.  As well as article and press release submission as a way to promote their websites. As about small businesses, I would only provide article and press release submission services.

6. profile image0
      thebusinessladderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would recommend lettings and property management. It is a very solid industry in the UK and the trends are very positive both in terms of landlord and tenant demand. More information on this can be found at http://www.letting4success.co.uk.

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

A small social networking site. Then write a book about it and make a movie.

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

some people start a copy writing business and set up  writers as independent contractors..
    roll

4. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Marital Aids. I am not trying to be offensive or flippant but the fact is there is still a fair bit of embarrassment associated to walking into a shop and buying a replacement for the old worn out rabbit! This makes marital aids ideal for a more anonymous online sale. Probably not the market for shrinking violets and it is competitive.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are a few good ones online already - they are the home party type, but you can order online smile

5. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

A local yarn shop.  Real old fashioned bakery/coffee shop.  A used book store.  A tea store.

6. FloBe profile image64
    FloBeposted 13 years ago

I would start an online book store where people could sell the books they've written and I'd get a percentage of each sale from my site. Like an affiliate site for books...does something like that already exist?

1. Brooke Lorren profile image60
      Brooke Lorrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lulu.com will publish books for other people.

7. AlanZimmerman profile image60
    AlanZimmermanposted 13 years ago

The practical person inside says a hosting company - high demand, booming industry, plus you can scale yourself up fairly quickly.

If I could start anything in the world, without strategy or budget constraints - vineyard.

1. Ipeoney profile image69
      Ipeoneyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

when it comes to starting a business it sounds scary to me, lose some money before coz I didn't have the knowledge just a dream. Lose in apparel and movie rental store. Moral lesson? Study and Learn. Online Business nowadays is good, selling your own products, selling other peoples products, Ebay, Yahoo, Amazon. If you want you can join MLM, it's only good if you join when company is new, coz you're at the Top. In country like Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.. I would say Goat farm is excellent business, or Cow, chicken raising. Goat is good because they only eat grass. All you have to do is plant more grass. And you don't really need to take care of them much, as long as they have shelter to sleep in. An engineer gave up his profession to raise goats.

2. Stacie L profile image89

I was a traveling private tutor and a pet sitter.
      How about starting an herb farm may be a good business. Reataurants want to use fresh ingredients.
      A small daycare in your home is a good start. Depending on your community,you may have up to 4 chldren without a license.

Teaching crafts classes in your home is another option.
      I taught beading and polymer clay craft classes to a small group.
      There are many ideas...

3. wychic profile image84
      wychicposted 13 years ago

Woohoo, I'm not the only one who wants a fish farm! Actually, the starting point for my idea was with an aquatic supply shop. The only tropical fish supplier in this area is really horrible, and also doesn't offer the kind of selection I want, so I'd intended to supply it with fish I'd raised myself. The only way to make sure that the shop stays well-stocked is to raise more fish than I need, but then I'd have to sell off the extras through online sales or sales to pet stores elsewhere in the state. After all the considerations, I dropped the shop idea altogether and kept the fish and aquatic supplies. I've done a lot of online sales off of a 19-tank fish room, and once we get a permanent place on an acreage (about two years) we'll be building my fish house so I can start expanding on the idea. Thus far I've already done my business plan, cost estimates, found breeders for initial stock, and just about everything else I can do right now...all that's left is to wait for the facilities.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

An old fashion whore house.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

On-line?

5. Bob Ewing profile image63
      Bob Ewingposted 13 years ago

Selling small wind turbines and solar panels

6. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 13 years ago

pottery an art studio

7. American_Choices profile image76
      American_Choicesposted 13 years ago

An art gallery complete with authors once a month speaking about their books.

8. Mikeydoes profile image42
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Waste removal business.

I'd plan on making it a bug business though.

9. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I started my little interior design business some 20 years ago.

10. Bill Manning profile image67
      Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I'd make a network of websites,,,, oh wait I do that already! lol

Okay then, I'd make a network of websites,,,, that MAKE A LOT OF MONEY! big_smile

11. steffer profile image60
      stefferposted 13 years ago

i would start an article network (already have the script) (like ezinearticles or hubpages)
      and a membership website, a blog empire and adsense websites)

12. profile image0
      Helpful Hannaposted 13 years ago

I would have a stand at street fairs selling some sort of food.  Probably a delicious dessert that people would enjoy!

1. steffer profile image60
        stefferposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Belgian people are making a fortune by selling fries and belgian waffles in New York and other big city's in the U.S.

I actually know someone who moved to the states and became filthy rish by making and selling the real Belgian waffles from a stand in new york city.

13. Stacie L profile image89

my mom and i have been treasure hunters or pickers for years.
      the show American pickers and Antiques Roadshow have piqued the interest of many people who need to make money.

14. businessesforsale profile image57
      businessesforsaleposted 13 years ago

Seeing as though I already acheived what this question is asking, I'll let you in on what I did.

I started an online business back in 2004. It started out as a hobby, but quickly grew into an authority website in its niche. So I have been working from home, being my own boss and doing something I love every day!

15. businesstrader profile image38
      businesstraderposted 13 years ago

I would start an online business for sale website in Australia, get it ranking very high in the search engines for our main terms, leave my job and work from home.........I actually acheived this about 6 months ago! visit http://www.business-trader.com.au.

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you.  It looks really good too and affordable.

16. pilesnoway profile image61
      pilesnowayposted 13 years ago

t-shirt printing or photography business.

17. namktqs profile image40
      namktqsposted 13 years ago

I am excited to see people have different ways to win money for yourself is the best.

For me it is interesting that, since learning I was able to start a business online and it's really good for me to learn and start working.

First choice is to become a afiliate to sell the products of others, the process makes me want to become a professional my work ...

Now I can gently push his business that is very exciting to discover something new in many areas, other niche markets.

It is important that we can make money on the internet and do not feel the hard work ... we still have time to do what you want in your spare time there.

One important thing is to start looking for the best help initially ... I've found for her and I love this ...

And I believe you always have these choices ...

1. profile image56
        eurostarjewelryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Drop shipping is also the best way to make money online
        you can find Ton of good drop shippers at
        http://directory.eurostarjewelry.com

1. toknowinfo profile image72
          toknowinfoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would start a business that would help motivate and coach people who want to start their own business

18. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years ago

A restaurant that served Floribbean food. Yum!

19. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I'd make stickers, scratch and sniffs, all kinds, fuzzies, oils, puffy, etc and stationery and cards and sell them in a store, w/ all kinds of goodies, knick knacks, candy, etc.

20. businessesforsale profile image57
      businessesforsaleposted 13 years ago

Always remember to never give up on your dreams. I nearly through it all in at one point, only to turn it into a million dollar business. http://www.BusinessesforSales.com

21. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years ago

I would start a website selling my own products and then market it through affiliate members from Hupages, and a few other sites, then I would call the affiliate site
      affiliates.learningchinaholidays.com

Just opened to neew members !   travel writers especially welcome travelespresso big_smile

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for your welcome and PM recommend1.  Good luck with it!

22. briancassingena profile image61
      briancassingenaposted 13 years ago

How about a Home Staging business? Is anyone out there a home stager? I have a small amount of info on it here: http://hubpages.com/hub/Home-Staging-Review , would love some feedback smile

23. raincloud2010 profile image60
      raincloud2010posted 13 years ago

Hm, I'd like to start Dropship business. My present job gives me more chances to go deep into Dropship. If I do dropship, I don't need to have an inventory. So I can put more efforts to promote my site and products.

24. The LEAP man profile image59
      The LEAP manposted 13 years ago

Hi Run a start up business programme in Ireland if you need help please contact me.

25. moonbugster profile image60
      moonbugsterposted 13 years ago

I would start a small hobby shop that specializes in Needlework, especially Cross Stitch!

26. Dale Nelson profile image38
      Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

I sold my carwash about 15 years ago. Loved it.

Wouldnt mind opening another.

1. GmaGoldie profile image82
        GmaGoldieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating - I almost - within 24 hours did that - the land I wanted was sold - then wasn't able to find land that would support the car wash.  Sadly, the land I wanted was sold to a similar minded person and she opened a car wash.  No regrets but always interesting to look back.

Any thoughts on the revenue forecasting for potential new car wash entrepreneurs?  Supposedly there was some scandal on that years ago.

27. Candelish profile image61
      Candelishposted 13 years ago

Let's see, I've been in Real Estate, Insurance sales, Elder care, IT, marketing and my all time favorite, massage therapy, just to name a few. (I loved making people feel better but it took a lot out of me.) 

I just can't seem to choose what I want to be when I grow up!

Through all of my business ventures I've gained an extensive knowledge base.  Some knowledge is in-depth while other knowledge just skimmed the surface.  (Enough to get my feet wet and realize it just wasn't for me. Like when I was young and tried setting appointments for a funeral home.  I gained a skewed sense of humor from that job, YIKES!)

But everything I did was just an additional outlet to gain real world knowledge and experience for me. 

Now I want to take everything I have learned and experienced and FINALLY start working on the dream I've had since I was 9 years old. 

Become a published author that makes enough money to support myself and my kids in the life to which I would like to become accustomed.  lol

I'm hoping that becoming an affiliate will help ensure my goals.  So here's to following a dream no matter how old it is!

28. AnythingArtzy profile image67
      AnythingArtzyposted 13 years ago

I would love to have a quaint little what-not shop with all kinds of unusual finds from different eras and a space for  selling books. Books are a passion of mine.

29. GmaGoldie profile image82
      GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

I have dreamed of an art shop.  And in many ways, with my Hubs, I have achieved this dream - only via the virtual world not a physical shop.  I love the photos and the artistic works - visual and writing, etc...

Oh, now if I could have a coffee house with the art shop....hmmm...too much fun!

30. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

I'd start an In door farm in an abandoned building right in the heart of the city
      Buy the building cheap
      setup for light and water
      Plant your crops...and off you go...
      Indoor Farming...the future is here.

31. profile image49
      jeb4321posted 13 years ago

There's a huge future in products and services for aging baby boomers. And another business that just keeps growing despite the bad economy is the office cleaning business.

1. The LEAP man profile image59
        The LEAP manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow such positive feed back its great to read a page like this when here in Ireland we are surrounded by such doom and gloom. Fantastic to hear

32. BrankoZecevic profile image62
      BrankoZecevicposted 13 years ago

It would be deffinitely something about internet marketing.
      I mean look at the potential of internet.
      Millions of people are using it.
      This is a chance to build mz own business and tanks God for that.

33. dingdondingdon profile image61
      dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

I've always wanted to set up a service where if someone's feeling lonely or depressed, they can log on to a site and someone will just talk to them. They could talk by phone or IM, and not even necessarily about what was making them sad. It'd just be for anyone who needed some friendly company.

I wouldn't feel good charging people for something like that though. sad

34. profile image0
      MarcLecposted 13 years ago

Just go for it, you only live once -should you need any help with accounting and bookkeeping contact me at : justfinance@hotmail.co.uk or follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/Thejustfinance

35. skisy profile image89
      skisyposted 13 years ago

A small kayaking river guide business, maybe expand it to rafting and possibly land activities such as climbing and stuff as well. But most importantly it would have to be in an amazing and unique and probably remote location, taking small groups on an epic adventure.

36. profile image54
      Letting Visionposted 13 years ago

The lettings industry is a good one. A booming market which is recession safe. You can start a letting agency from home for as little as £279.00 with full support, training, letter templates, a complete step by step training manual, property website and software and much more. For more info visit http://www.lettingvision.co.uk

37. Victoria Stephens profile image73
      Victoria Stephensposted 13 years ago

I'd like to have a small orchard and veg patch and sell the goods along the road side.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
        LoisRyan13903posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My sister does something similar.  She grows flowers on her property and sells them just outside her house.  This is a good income for a couple of months.

38. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I'd like to buy some small business, like a small store or smth. that does not require extensive labour everyday, so I can live semiretired lifestyle and support myself at the same time. Do not think though it is realistically possible in Canada. Way too many rules,regulations, taxes, what not. And most important no money and not a very good credit history.

39. classicalgeek profile image80
      classicalgeekposted 13 years ago

I've started four small businesses, and am looking to start a fifth. Nobody who knew me growing up would ever have believed that I had a head for business (I even surprised myself!).

1) teaching voice and piano
      2) performing at different events, either my students or myself
      3) CD promotion services for my students (I hire a local audio engineer and a local company to manufacture the CDs, and a local photographer and graphic designer to do the covers), then set up a website to sell them.)
      4) internet writing/online designing and marketing
      5) publishing company

40. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

I want a small coffee shop/bookstore.  Bland, I know, but it would encompass everything I love and make me happy.  And, as long as I had a small apartment above, I'd have everything I needed.

41. paintcontractor profile image54
      paintcontractorposted 12 years ago

I already have my own business and as i found out, it is a lot of stress and hard work to be a small business owner. I do not want my own small business any longer. I want a large business. So I can hire a lot of managers to run it and do very little myself. Only show up to pick up the profits. If someone knows how to open a big business, with very little money and effort, pleas let me know.

42. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I would love to sell secondhand books, but (a) haven't got the storage space to do it properly and (b) can't be competing against the one-penny prices sellers put up on Amazon.

It would be great to have a local wholefood shop. Apparently, there was one here some years back, which did well until the couple running it moved away. However, no way would I want to work shop hours myself and I do not have enough to invest in premises, stock and staff to run the shop.

43. WhitneyNZ profile image59
      WhitneyNZposted 12 years ago

A little bookstore...  I think that while Amazon may be the end of big box stores like Borders and Barnes and Noble, they can't take away the appeal of browsing through a nice, niche bookstore. 

Though I'd only consider doing this kind of thing if I was independently wealthy enough not to need to make a profit...  I'd like to spend all day in a bookstore but not if I have to stress over profit margins and expenses. smile

44. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
      DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

the purpose of any business to make a profit-since i have been self-employed for 20 years including owning major franchises, but did much better in a direct sales/network opportunity. find something people need, and get it to them! right now almost 50% of the planet is dying of heart disease and diabetes complications. most would not get on a plane you only had a 50/50 chance of getting off of, but you are ALREADY on that plane now! my company (40 years in business and A+ rated)i consult with found a product to address both those issues readily. again, find a need for others and fill it with your product or services.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)